GM Rat Sass's Legacy of Fire (Inactive)

Game Master GM Rat Sass

Part 6 - The Final Wish
Roll20 Link
Treasure Log
New Map of Kelmarane


6,951 to 7,000 of 10,988 << first < prev | 135 | 136 | 137 | 138 | 139 | 140 | 141 | 142 | 143 | 144 | 145 | next > last >>

Stats:
HP 107/107;AC27; F 11,R 15,W 15; Init:9; Perc 20 (normal). Yeenoghu: 154/154; AC 37 (usually);F 14+5,R 15+5, W 6+5; Perc 8;Acro 18 (lowlight)

With a relief from needing to guard the Scroll day and night, Ami is finally able to take Yeen into the desert to train on the latest of Sarenrae's gifts: walking on air.

As the sun sets, Ami demonstrates the air walking on himself first, letting the cat see and understand how it works. Then, he casts it on the cat, working with him, coaxing him, training him.

Ami knows his kitty is smart (gnome level int, about 6) and believes the cat can do it...just a matter of training the cat to be as comfortable on air as he is on the ground.

When it finally works, Ami and Yeen spend a lot of time running up and down the air itself, practicing, jumping, laughing in Sarenrae's light.


Stats:
HP 107/107;AC27; F 11,R 15,W 15; Init:9; Perc 20 (normal). Yeenoghu: 154/154; AC 37 (usually);F 14+5,R 15+5, W 6+5; Perc 8;Acro 18 (lowlight)
Mahdi al-Jabira wrote:
"If our plane and the plane of Kakishon touched, it could well resemble a storm. Those sort of planar energies might form a vortex-- that could suck things in, from our world, to Kakishon," he says tersely.

Ami nods vigorously as Mahdi explains.

"Yes, that could be suckage," Ami agrees, happy to have such a knowledgeable friend on his side. "You sure know about sucking."

Ami takes some time to think about what must be in the Scroll...and how he might prepare.

"Brother, I can help with food for us. Will you bring some goats for Yeen in your bag?"


Maps: Travel * Hut and more

Aldebert and Amiamble:
The acolyte nods solemnly, "It is as the priestess told me. The warriors always know better than the priests. Doubly true for an acolyte like myself. Perhaps one day I will be able to understand the wisdom of what you have said. Now it only strikes me as folly. For that I am very sorry. Thank you for your offer. I will carry on as best I can." The acolyte makes sure you have whatever you need and sees you safely to the edge of the church grounds.

Yes food and such we can assume is all set. No need to nail down specifics, a gold amount is fine. @Aldebert spell is fine. Just let me know when you are are ready and we'll fast forward through the remainder of the week.


Halfling (Per +19 | Fort +17 Ref +12 Will +15 | AC 26 (f25/t14) | CMD 29)
Amiamble Piddlespot wrote:
"Brother, I can help with food for us. Will you bring some goats for Yeen in your bag?"

"I think we'll have to do without goats within my brother." Aldebert shakes his head. "They can't breathe in the bag, and I don't think we should go in herding goats. Could be trouble immediately on the other side and I don't want to get all tangled up with a panicked herd." he smiles at the thought.

He then changes gears, "Do you think we should ask Pent's assistance with the church of Sarenrae? He could run it for a few days at least, unless you wanted that honor."

Side issue with the church aside, Aldebert spends the few days in contemplation, making sure they're doing the right thing. It feels right, but he spends a fair amount of time on his knees mediating over the issues. Ready to go.


Stats:
HP 107/107;AC27; F 11,R 15,W 15; Init:9; Perc 20 (normal). Yeenoghu: 154/154; AC 37 (usually);F 14+5,R 15+5, W 6+5; Perc 8;Acro 18 (lowlight)

@Acolyte,Aldebert:
Ami pauses, wondering if it is prudent to speak or not. "Perhaps it is better this way. This town becomes infested with the Servants of the Rough Beast while your Priestest cried. Perhaps she is the candle that has lit the bonfire that is Sarenrae's Light in you, and you will clean this city of the evil that infects it."

Ami lets it go at that.

"Be the Light of this city. Now that the Crying Priestess is gone, I expect your spark grows into a fire. Never fear the shadow. Sarenrae guided us to a great victory against the Beast already, let her work through you."

* * *

Aldebert Piddlespot wrote:
He then changes gears, "Do you think we should ask Pent's assistance with the church of Sarenrae?"

Ami titters at his brother's joke.

"Good one, Brother. The gnome is confusing and paradox. On one hand, the Light of Sarenrae shines through him," Ami opens up his right hand palm up, open to the Light so that his brother might witness the analogy. "On the other, more accurate hand," Ami holds out his left hand, palm down, then closes it into a fist. "The gnome is a heretic who holds very few Sarenraen truths into his being. He is far too gentle with enemies of the Light by half. How can Sarenrae imbue such that does not offer the claw against those who will not beg for redemption?"

"No, Brother. This city needs a champion of the light that will shine into the dark...not confuse it with words."


Dwarven Mobile Fighter 15 | HP: 168/168 | Init: +3 | Perc: +3 | SM: +1 | AC: 27(25) | Mobility: 31(29) | Touch: 16(14) | FF: 23(21) | CMD: 33 Res (fire) 30, Freedom of Movement | Fort: +14 | Ref: +9 | Will: 6 | +2 vs poisons, spells | +4 vs paralyze, slow, entangle

The dwarf listens as the group discusses travel, though his eyes show confusion when talk of planar vortexes and storms arises.

He approaches Aldebert and Mahdi when both the halfling and the mage are not busy on errands about the city, and he himself is not guarding Rayhan's side.

"I can go at a moment's notice, my bag is ready, though if you have any advice on what to prepare for, I could make a second shopping trip."


Statistical Representation of Character's Sunny Disposition:
Male Gnome Ex-Jester HP: 99, AC: 13(t 11, f13), F 13, R 4, W 16, Init 0, Perception 23, Low Light Vision

Pent hears Aldebert mention his name, then sees him talking with his brother. He doesn't give it a second thought, getting ready for another foray into the market, and acquire a last little list, before they venture into the Unknown.

When he returns from the market, he heads back up to the roof, where he proceeds to enjoy yet another of Sarah's gifts. He Sends to his significant other, choosing his words carefully. An audible warble occurs from the top floor of Rayhan's Villa, as Hyami's return Send returns.

The gnome seem to be in the best of spirits as the eventual entry approaches.


Maps: Travel * Hut and more

Ami & Aldebert:
The acolyte nods again solemnly. "I hope one day to have your wisdom. To see the world in such clear divisions is a wonder that even now my dimwitted mind perceives as ignorance. I must redouble my devotions and study." Without another world the acolyte hurries away leaving a small sack of simple food stuffs. A top the bit of food is a simple wooden holy symbol depicting a flower.

Looks like we're about set then. A shopping list update and I'll move us forward.


CN Human Wizard 14 | Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +11; (+1 vs. fire) | AC 15 - CMD 17 | P +18, Init +10 | HP 87/94 | 12/12 jets remaining | Current buffs: Mage Armor, Overland Flight, Life Bubble, See Invisibility, Locate Creature (Hazim), Prot from fire 120 pts

Mahdi spends the few days' interlude in a flurry of purchasing scrolls from the bazaar, and squirreling himself away in his room to scribe and study. Occasionally, gleeful giggling can be heard from within the room.

At one point he emerges to find Pent. "Pent! I have something I'd like you to carry." He pushes a scroll into Pent's hands.

"On the offchance I get blinded," he says in a low mutter. "I don't think you all want me throwing around fireballs while I can't see. I suppose if someone else gets afflicted and it's an urgent crisis, we might also use it for that."

(Scroll of remove blindness/deafness)

When Otah comes to ask him about possible purchases, Mahdi shrugs. "Have you a way to feed yourself? We don't know how long we'll be there. Actually you needn't worry about that, I have that in hand. Can you deal with an enemy flying above your head out of range of that big horsechopper of yours? Have you ways to deal with poison or disease? We have no real idea of what lies ahead but otherworldly foes are likely. Come to think of it, pick up a vial of antitoxin for me if you go back to the market," he says brusquely, pressing a few coins into Otah's broad, dwarven palm. "There's a good man."

Heh, adding a vial of antitoxin.


Statistical Representation of Character's Sunny Disposition:
Male Gnome Ex-Jester HP: 99, AC: 13(t 11, f13), F 13, R 4, W 16, Init 0, Perception 23, Low Light Vision
Mahdi wrote:
"Pent! I have something I'd like you to carry."

Pent looks behind the fire mage, scroll in hand, wondering what it is the man's got. Suckling pig? Wheelbarrow of books? Ego so big he can no longer manage it himself? When the scroll is pushed forward concurrent to the pressing words, Pent understands. "Alright- this lets me... says here I can clear either eye or ear. You rather me reserve the restoration of sight, eh? Can do. You sure it can't be applied to half hearing? I'm pretty sure the short one's gone deaf on several occasions."

...
Quick Excursion with the Dwarf

Pent joins Otah if Otah decides to shop some more, so he himself can procure his last minute items. "So, you're tagging along to Kakishon. I'm getting vibes from Mahdi that he's readying for epic magical discoveries, and the halfs have their own hang-ups about it. What about you? We're likely gonna face down the janni again, is my thought. He's my focus. I'm keeping some of Sarah's slowing so the skulker can't pop off and pop away. You still in this, here and now, when you could be back in Kelmarane training troops."


Halfling (Per +19 | Fort +17 Ref +12 Will +15 | AC 26 (f25/t14) | CMD 29)
Amiamble Piddlespot wrote:

Ami titters at his brother's joke.

"Good one, Brother. The gnome is confusing and paradox. On one hand, the Light of Sarenrae shines through him," Ami opens up his right hand palm up, open to the Light so that his brother might witness the analogy. "On the other, more accurate hand," Ami holds out his left hand, palm down, then closes it into a fist. "The gnome is a heretic who holds very few Sarenraen truths into his being. He is far too gentle with enemies of the Light by half. How can Sarenrae imbue such that does not offer the claw against those who will not beg for redemption?"

"No, Brother. This city needs a champion of the light that will shine into the dark...not confuse it with words."

"Amiamble, you are more an expert of Sarenrae than I, but you must accept there are more ways than yours to follow the light. I find your way to be more violent than what I read in the holy texts for example. That's your way of following Sarenrae, and it's right and good make no mistake. But it's not the only way."

"Still, I have no interest in getting into a theological discussion with you over such matters. I have weightier things on my mind at the moment. But perhaps a future time when we're not so harried we can discuss the intricacies of our various religions." he grins at his brother looking forward to a time when such banter can be carried out in comfort.

Aldebert assists the others in their purchases in any way he can, and otherwise prepares himself, though he's certain there are things he'll wish he had once they've gone.


Maps: Travel * Hut and more

Going to leave things open for a bit more dialogue. Plan to post tomorrow.


Dwarven Mobile Fighter 15 | HP: 168/168 | Init: +3 | Perc: +3 | SM: +1 | AC: 27(25) | Mobility: 31(29) | Touch: 16(14) | FF: 23(21) | CMD: 33 Res (fire) 30, Freedom of Movement | Fort: +14 | Ref: +9 | Will: 6 | +2 vs poisons, spells | +4 vs paralyze, slow, entangle
Mahdi wrote:
"Come to think of it, pick up a vial of antitoxin for me if you go back to the market."

"I took care of the food and water concerns on my last outing, but a bow, some arrows, and some potions sound in good order. I'll pick up your antitoxin while I'm out."

Pent wrote:
Pent joins Otah if Otah decides to shop some more, so he himself can procure his last minute items. "So, you're tagging along to Kakishon. I'm getting vibes from Mahdi that he's readying for epic magical discoveries, and the halfs have their own hang-ups about it. What about you? We're likely gonna face down the janni again, is my thought. He's my focus. I'm keeping some of Sarah's slowing so the skulker can't pop off and pop away. You still in this, here and now, when you could be back in Kelmarane training troops."

"I would be surprised if Mahdi didn't find something of interest there. I'm with you, focusing on the threat at hand. Once the scroll is resolved, we can focus on building the" he holds his hands up to make air quotes, "city. The things coming after it are too dangerous to take our focus off of it."

Picking up Mahdi's anti-toxin. Also, a longbow, some arrows, his own potion of remove blindness/deafness, and a potion of fly.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Statistical Representation of Character's Sunny Disposition:
Male Gnome Ex-Jester HP: 99, AC: 13(t 11, f13), F 13, R 4, W 16, Init 0, Perception 23, Low Light Vision

"Excellent, excellent. Yes, once we understand the Scroll for what it contains, and what contaminates it, we'll be able to reassure ourselves and others with more firsthand accounting. The less we don't know, the more we have less to worry about. Sounds as reasonable a pursuit as we can pose. We're tasked by Higher Ups, which means we're highly regarded. That gives me hope."

...

Pent finds an opportunity to speak with Aldebert, Mahdi, and Otah, free from the company of Ami and Yeen. Perhaps when the two are out and about, running under the Light of Sarah. For what he has to say, he is more sure of the reactions of this gathering, much less sure of the group in its entirety.

"Time is fast approaching, when we'll pass from this world, into Kakishon. We'll only have ourselves to support each other, to trust each other." Pent turns to Aldebert. "You mentioned an evil surrounding Yeen, reaching out to Ami. A greater evil, you said. Can you tell us more? Neither you or Ami has spoken on it since then. Do we need to look into it before we depart? Are we being shadowed, still?" The gnome gives Aldebert time to answer, before bringing up his main concern.

"With your observation, Aldi, I find it necessary to speak further, under the light you tried to shed during your detections. I thought I was being gentle, by holding back part of the most recent Divining. I'll need to be blunter, I think. The full wording of the response is this- 'What was secure has been broken. In wanton desire for death to supposed servants of the beast a key has been turned that cannot be unturned. Those who would have been kept out have found another way. Hope lies now in confronting greed beyond the shine. If you and yours would bring hope, not death, then walk beyond the shine.'" Pent waits again for those at the table to soak up all the words.

"When I think on those words, now, I worry that Ami's lust for death has brought us to this point. Whether his lust is being stirred by a greater evil, I can not say. I do not know your brother like you do, Aldi. His strength is undeniable. Without him, we'll be much worse off in whatever awaits us. I only want to help. If he needs some kind of help, some kind of warding against this evil, let's get this done, before we leave." The gnome looks to Otah, then Mahdi, then Aldebert, and waits, hoping to learn something.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Halfling (Per +19 | Fort +17 Ref +12 Will +15 | AC 26 (f25/t14) | CMD 29)

Aldebert rubs the back of his neck where his new armor rubs slightly. He plans to make a little adjustment to the fit when Pent brings up his concerns.

He thinks a moment and says, "Well, the evil wasn't in Yeen, more around him like. From what Mahdi said, what you mentioned, and what my brother blurted it felt more like something from within the scroll trying to assert itself."

"That's just a hunch though, I have no clear vision of this. I do not think Yeen, Amiamble, or any of us are evil of course, and I'll check again if you like, but I'm sure it was a temporary emanation."

GM Lareg, over the course of the next few days, Aldebert will check each party member for evil, at random intervals - more or less when he remembers to do so. He does so casually, and expects to find nothing, but he does it just the same.

"Death? Oh, I think Amiamble has a very fierce view of Sarenrae I agree, and he kills more swiftly than I'd like to see in general, but that's a question of faith. If you feel he kills too quickly, you should discuss it with him as a matter of faith between two devout followers."

"I do not feel his 'lust for death' as you put it has brought us to this point however. I disagree that things are worse for his actions, and agree with you that things will be worse without his presence."

"I suspect, as with most things, a lack of knowledge has us grasping at whatever we can to make things make sense. But we know very little, so there are things that won't make sense. We'll just have to feel our way."


Statistical Representation of Character's Sunny Disposition:
Male Gnome Ex-Jester HP: 99, AC: 13(t 11, f13), F 13, R 4, W 16, Init 0, Perception 23, Low Light Vision

Pent listens respectfully, understanding the half's position. "Well, you know where I stand on checking your mates for evil emanations. Made myself clear on that matter, I hope. That you were unfortunate and fortunate enough to see that shadow... leaves us wondering, but we can deal with that by staying vigilant to each others' dispositions."

"I am not voicing my own concern about your brother, Aldi. I'm echoing Sarah's Stance, nothing more. 'Lust', 'wanton desire', they're the same thing to me, and I can understand your defensiveness, since it's not your god talking here. When you disagree, you disagree with Sarah, who has said the wanton turned the key. That's unfortunate from my perspective, of course, because She's my Light, and has never steered me wrong before. I'll be polite, and agree to disagree with you, in Her place. To be clear, if I thought your brother could be reasoned with over a matter of faith, he'd be sitting here with us. I'm not the one who said he kills too quickly, but I'll not disagree with that sentiment. Glad you agree, at least."

Pent looks to Otah and Mahdi, not wanting to keep them from speaking, if they're so inclined. Poor half will keep grasping, until something tangible sticks itself out to be grabbed. That might be just as well.

...

Pent's ready to join his team, when the time comes.


Maps: Travel * Hut and more

Ami:
Will you be corresponding actively with 'the mold' in the days to come before hearing from Rayhan?

School got ahead of me so I'm a bit behind. Plan to post tomorrow.


Dwarven Mobile Fighter 15 | HP: 168/168 | Init: +3 | Perc: +3 | SM: +1 | AC: 27(25) | Mobility: 31(29) | Touch: 16(14) | FF: 23(21) | CMD: 33 Res (fire) 30, Freedom of Movement | Fort: +14 | Ref: +9 | Will: 6 | +2 vs poisons, spells | +4 vs paralyze, slow, entangle

"You have a point, Aldebert, that we are trying to find some sense in the unknown. If Pent and Amiamble's god have issue with her follower; I suspect we'll find out some time."

"I am ready to go."


Stats:
HP 107/107;AC27; F 11,R 15,W 15; Init:9; Perc 20 (normal). Yeenoghu: 154/154; AC 37 (usually);F 14+5,R 15+5, W 6+5; Perc 8;Acro 18 (lowlight)

@GM Lareg:
Sure. I've been sort of assuming that if Vardishal had something to say, he would.

Ami spends the days working with Yeen, training the cat to walk closer to Sarenrae's light. Ami, as a rule and fact of life, loves running in the sun and in the desert, riding on Yeen in all of Sarenrae's glory.

During one of their rides, Ami will ask again to speak with Vardishal.

"Vardishal, are you there? We are standing under the truthful light of Sarenrae and if you have council for me before we open the scroll, I would hear it."


Maps: Travel * Hut and more

Ami:
A feeling of confusion rushes from Yeen followed by excitement. The prospect of opening the scroll is exciting. The mention of light, Vardishal seems confused by what you mean.

Aldebert:
After one of Ami's many rides, Yeen catches your attention. As before, it is as if a shadow has left the cat. It is the same evil as before. Again, it isn't strong or overwhelming. It strikes you as nearly humanoid.


CN Human Wizard 14 | Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +11; (+1 vs. fire) | AC 15 - CMD 17 | P +18, Init +10 | HP 87/94 | 12/12 jets remaining | Current buffs: Mage Armor, Overland Flight, Life Bubble, See Invisibility, Locate Creature (Hazim), Prot from fire 120 pts
Pent Arotha wrote:
"You sure it can't be applied to half hearing? I'm pretty sure the short one's gone deaf on several occasions."

Mahdi smirks. "Oh, it's nothing wrong with his hearing," the mage says snidely. "Anyway, yes, let's just save the scroll for emergencies or the like. I can tolerate being deaf better than I can tolerate not being able to see. Let me correct myself: the rest of you can tolerate my being deaf better than you can my not being able to see, ah ha ha."

***

At the meeting

"Lovely," Mahdi says to the notion that Amiamble and his eagerness to kill has perhaps made things worse. He sprawls back on the divan's cushions of their little meeting area, idly playing with the flaming ring on his finger. "Well, I somehow doubt a nice chat with Ami to address it is likely to do any good at all. The only really relevant thing in that may be that your goddess speaks of the 'SUPPOSED' servants of the beast. It might be worthwhile to point out to Amiamble that not every single individual he meets in battle is actually-- even by the metrics of his own goddess-- the apocalypse incarnate."

Mahdi pauses, then barks a laugh. "What am I saying? Just as useful to argue with the wind, isn't it. In any case, if anyone's going to be arguing with Amiamble, it isn't going to be me. Because I am tired of words with him."

The fire mage spins his ring absently on his finger, then pushes up from the divan. "Well! I'm glad we had this little talk! If you'll excuse me I am going to finish packing."

(ready to go, here)


Maps: Travel * Hut and more

Mahdi:
As Rayhan nears completion of his research he finds a moment to chat with you. "It won't be long now until I will be able to activate the scroll. Rather than seek out others with expertise, I wondered what you thought of what the opening might be like. I'm hesitant to activate something so powerful near my home, but also wasn't sure about being exposed. What do you think?"


Stats:
HP 107/107;AC27; F 11,R 15,W 15; Init:9; Perc 20 (normal). Yeenoghu: 154/154; AC 37 (usually);F 14+5,R 15+5, W 6+5; Perc 8;Acro 18 (lowlight)

@Vardishal:
"The sunlight, Vardishal! Can you not feel the sun's light upon Yeen's back? The Sun shines and from that we know that Sarenrae blesses us."

Ami and Yeen will enjoy the last few days/hours of sunlight before they need to go to battle within the Scroll.


Maps: Travel * Hut and more

Ami:
There is a feeling of warmth and excitement that joins you and Yeen.


CN Human Wizard 14 | Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +11; (+1 vs. fire) | AC 15 - CMD 17 | P +18, Init +10 | HP 87/94 | 12/12 jets remaining | Current buffs: Mage Armor, Overland Flight, Life Bubble, See Invisibility, Locate Creature (Hazim), Prot from fire 120 pts

GM:
Mahdi looks taken aback when Rayhan actually seeks him out; before the kidnapping, Mahdi spent time attempting to ingratiate himself with the sage to, he had thought, no avail-- or distinctly cold shoulders, as Mahdi's stung pride had felt it to be.

He draws himself up and looks sidelong at the old man. "I'm given to understand you are the expert on the scroll, Master Rayhan," he says with some frostiness.

"...that said, I believe it is possible the planar confluence could result in a sort of.... suction effect, a storm that draws things in rather than gusts forth air. You might be wise to insist it take place away from your home. The open desert maybe. Since it sounds like our enemies have already moved within the scroll itself, I cannot imagine there would be much risk in such a thing."


Statistical Representation of Character's Sunny Disposition:
Male Gnome Ex-Jester HP: 99, AC: 13(t 11, f13), F 13, R 4, W 16, Init 0, Perception 23, Low Light Vision

Pent pats the scroll, and tucks it away for safekeeping, nodding to Mahdi for the magical lift, should he be required to bring it forth.

...

Pent nods as Mahdi helps to conclude the meeting, looking at Aldebert with a smile that suggests that the half has his hands full, should he be at all concerned with discussing matters with his brother half.

...

Pent is happy to delve, when the group has gathered, and Rayhan is ready to enact the Opening.


Maps: Travel * Hut and more

Evening of the seventh day - a week.

Rayhan gathers everyone late in the evening as his week of research comes to an end. He seems exhausted, but somehow energized.

"I have come to where I must now look to each of you. I am ready to try, if you wish me to open that which you have found. So what say you? Do not speak yet. Instead, rest. Join me in the morning. I will be riding out some distance into the desert. Within sight of my home to be sure. Then with a small canvas shelter from the heat of sun I will be ready. Join me if you wish. Bring the object with you if it is to be opened. My old heart cannot bear your answer now." With his hand over his heart Rayhan retires for the night.

Morning of the eighth day.
Rayhan does exactly as he said he would. Rising at sunrise Rayhan prepares his notes while his cook helps him prepare his horse with a day's supplies. Unseen servants load what looks to be the canvas and wooden supports for a shelter. Once ready he rides away from his home, away from the city, roughly parallel to the shoreline.

Who follows when and how?:
Post the specifics for your departure and arrival with / after Rayhan's departure. Is the scroll delivered? How so?


Halfling (Per +19 | Fort +17 Ref +12 Will +15 | AC 26 (f25/t14) | CMD 29)

Status:
HP: 84/84, AC: 23 (F12/T14)
Weapon Equipped: None
Conditions: None
GreatSword Attack BAB +8/+3, Str +2, Magic +1, Size +1, (Power Attack -3) Damage Str +3 (1.5x), Magic +1, (Power Attack +9 (1.5x))
Summon Mount: 1/1 (full round)
Smite Evil: 3/3 (Swift, +4 attack, +8 damage, +4 AC)
Lay on Hands: 8/8 (Swift, 4d6 healing +1d6 if not fatigued or diseased)
Pearl of Power (first) 2/2
Spells (caster level 5, concentration +9, DC 14+)
1) Hero’s Defiance, Bed of Iron
2) Mirror Image, Paladin’s Sacrifice
- - -
Gretiem Lord of the Green
HP: 55/55 AC: 22 (F20/T12) Included: +4 mage armor
Fort: 7 Reflex: 7 Will: 4 BAB: +5 CMB: 8 CMD: 20 Move: 40’
Conditions: Mage Armor (1/8h)
Tricks: Aid, Attack x2, Come, Defend, Deliver, Down, Fetch, Flank, Flee, Get Help, Guard, Heal, Hunt, Sneak, Stay, Watch, Work
Bite Attack BAB +5, Str +3, Amulet +1 Damage Str +4 (1.5x), Amulet +1

Aldebert rises extra early and purifies himself. He prays, fervently, and a little longer than usual. He choses his spells carefully. He rises slowly from his knees, and hopes to manage the coming day. He suits up in his new armor, now fitted about as well as can be expected for such a marvelous bit of technology. He checks his weapons.

Finally, he goes down to the stables and greets Gretiem. He gives him a little extra food this morning, and spends a few extra moments with him, trying to prepare him as well. He mounts up and looks for his brother and the rest of the group. ”Ready everyone? Today we see what the gods themselves have in store for us.”

He, and presumably the others, meet Rayhan at the gates of his villa. He rides along side the wizard, watching for possible raiders - anyone who might have gotten wind of what they were preparing to do. Anyone that might want to stop them…

Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (4) + 11 = 15


Statistical Representation of Character's Sunny Disposition:
Male Gnome Ex-Jester HP: 99, AC: 13(t 11, f13), F 13, R 4, W 16, Init 0, Perception 23, Low Light Vision

Pent enjoys turning in early, so much the easier to rise just before the rising sun, and enjoy a more awake state during his meditation and adulation. When Rayhan disturbs his sleep to gather everyone, he slowly saunters in to the meeting, his hand scritching the hump of his rump.

Rayhan wrote:
"I have come to where I must now look to each of you. I am ready to try, if you wish me to open that which you have found."

Pent looks at the others gathered, blinking the sleep out of his eyes. He looks to see if anyone has a look of hesitation. Seeing none, he turns back to Rayhan.

Rayhan wrote:
"So what say you?"

Pent slowly opens his mouth, readying to speak his stance.

Rayhan wrote:
"Do not speak yet."

Pent stops opening his mouth, pressing his tongue into the roof of his mouth, stifling imminent words.

Rayhan wrote:
"Instead, rest. Join me in the morning."

Pent closes his mouth, his lips pressing together, pushing the blood from them, thinly. He slowly turns around, continuing to scritch his rear, and begins to walk back to his bed.

Rayhan wrote:
"Join me if you wish."

Pent's scritching hand stops, and he raises it to wave to the old man, back still turned, feet still shuffling the rest of his body back to bed.

Rayhan wrote:
"My old heart cannot bear your answer now."

Pent's mouth mouths mouthy, complaining soundlessly and out-of-sightlessly about an old man, and his dramatic antics, drawing chaps from bed, only to sass them back to bed.

...

Aldebert wrote:
"Today we see what the gods themselves have in store for us.”

"That would be every day, Aldi. Same as the day before, so the day after." Pent's disposition is addled, for stunted sleep cycles. He gathers his camel, and readies to ride out to the desert, to humor Rayhan for the Opening. "Remember, Rayhan. Should we find that travel on the other side is best set on our own feet, you'll need to take my camel back with you, before we enter."


Stats:
HP 107/107;AC27; F 11,R 15,W 15; Init:9; Perc 20 (normal). Yeenoghu: 154/154; AC 37 (usually);F 14+5,R 15+5, W 6+5; Perc 8;Acro 18 (lowlight)

Ami rises as early as the sun rises, seeking to spend the morning with Yeen and preparing the cat for the trials to come. He offers Yeenoghu a fresh goat to pounce and feed upon, while he crunches on his morning's breakfast. While Ami does not love civilization, he does love proper breakfast.

While he eats, he examines the goat's entrails for portends. He examines the flight of birds as well. He looks for signs of what Sarenrae might tell him.

Ami munches on bacon before calling a blood-be-soaked Yeen back into the house to follow Aldebert and Rayhan into the desert.

Ami intends to follow with the Scroll, Aldebert in two. The message from Sarenrae is clear: we need to do this.

Aldebert Piddlespot wrote:
”Ready everyone? Today we see what the gods themselves have in store for us.”

"Yes, brother! Sarenrae would have us battle the Servants of the Rough Beast! And let no monster stand before your blade or Yeen's claw!" Ami agrees with mirth, his eyes shining reflection of the Sun's light.

With that said, Ami and Yeen will range along side the party, sprinting from dunetop to dunetop, scouting the way.


CN Human Wizard 14 | Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +11; (+1 vs. fire) | AC 15 - CMD 17 | P +18, Init +10 | HP 87/94 | 12/12 jets remaining | Current buffs: Mage Armor, Overland Flight, Life Bubble, See Invisibility, Locate Creature (Hazim), Prot from fire 120 pts

The big day has come at last! Mahdi willingly rides out with the others and Rayhan himself, excited for the wonders of Kakishon. He has developed a new accoutrement: a tasseled canopy in gold and scarlet, which floats above his head and neatly shades him from the heat of the morning desert sun. He is obviously tickled pink by this and was waiting to show it off.

"Ahhhh now this is what it is to travel in comfort!" he says loudly to any who will listen. "Why travel between planes if you can't do it in style, hmm? To the wonders that await us, my friends!"

I think the scroll was in Aldebert's possession last?


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Maps: Travel * Hut and more

Rayhan moves quickly, glad at the decision that has been clearly made. He stops after a relatively short ride, still within sight of his home. Though from this distance it looks like a small stone box atop the slightest hill. With the quick work of unseen servants the simple canvas shelter is prepared. Though the shelter's simple dropped canvas roof gives way to long sides that reach the sand, the material is loose enough to let the cool breeze from the near by shore through. Inside the shelter simple rug is laid out, smooth stones readied to hold the scroll in place.

Once the scroll is given to Rayhan he holds it in place with the smooth stones and begins making his way through a series of arcane steps while glancing over his copious notes. Even before he finishes the activation, something seems wrong. Smoke starts to curl up from the map, and the smell of sulfur and burning leather fills the air. A few moments later, an incredible blast of firre and smoke explodes from the map, blowing the shelter from it's moorings. Exposed to the desert with a sudden explosion of light what surrounds you is not sand, but fire.

The ground itself seems to give way, and suddenly you are falling, falling through a vortex of fire, plummeting into the throat of a volcano. The pain tears through your flesh, yet still is strangely less overwhelming than what one might expect of a cataclysm this all-encompassing. A sense of vertigo overwhelms even the fire and noise, and the sensation of falling grows into a tempest of burning wind.

And then, in the flaming clouds and firestorm around you, shapes begin to emerge. Men and women made of fire and smoke— adorned with glittering jewelry and wielding scimitars made of fire, their faces twisted masks of glory and cruelty—rise up through the firestorm just as you are falling. Some of them seem to notice and mock you as you fall before they surge upward and out of sight. And then comes the last of them, a towering, burning warrior with great horns and a cruel, curved sword. This immense figure notices you as well, and even takes the time to smile sardonically as he bows in mockery, as if thanking you for a service you provided. And then, with a flash, he is gone as well, trailing behind him a noxious plume of burning ash and searing cinders.

Welcome to book four, The End of Eternity. Please level your character to 9. This will put us back on pace with AP expectations, which I got a bit behind on last book.


Stats:
HP 107/107;AC27; F 11,R 15,W 15; Init:9; Perc 20 (normal). Yeenoghu: 154/154; AC 37 (usually);F 14+5,R 15+5, W 6+5; Perc 8;Acro 18 (lowlight)

Oh, that was good description. My jaw was hanging open as I read. Oh yeah...

Ami jaw's hangs open as he watches where they are transported to someplace completely different. Yeen's paws tense and shift as he snarls uncertainly.

Ami looks at the gnome, Pent.

"This is what Sarenrae wanted, right?"


Halfling (Per +19 | Fort +17 Ref +12 Will +15 | AC 26 (f25/t14) | CMD 29)

Aldebert draws his greatsword in a panic as the fiery creatures appear.

"This does not look right to me!" he shouts over the rush of... fire? as they fall.

Idly, a part of his mind wonders if the flames will simply consume them for their folly. Should have memorized protection from fire...


Maps: Travel * Hut and more

Among the flames are images of things you considered having with you, but decided against. Some how you feel as if you could reach out and grab these objects, somehow changing the decisions that you made about your preparations.

This is your moment to update shopping / what you brought prep. Costs still must be met, but consider this a built in, 'if only I knew' moment. Please RP what you see / take.


Halfling (Per +19 | Fort +17 Ref +12 Will +15 | AC 26 (f25/t14) | CMD 29)

Aldebert stares into the flames, looking at what might have been, yet he stands pat and waits for the worst.

I don't have a lot of cash, and even fewer ideas of where we're headed, so I'll stick to what I have.

Mahdi - I'd have requested Gretiem's Mage Armor before beginning as it lasts so long. Remember you have a Pearl of Power for that, assuming you're casting it on yourself as well.


Statistical Representation of Character's Sunny Disposition:
Male Gnome Ex-Jester HP: 99, AC: 13(t 11, f13), F 13, R 4, W 16, Init 0, Perception 23, Low Light Vision

Pent watches Rayhan as the man begins to flummox through his paperworks, and briefly wonders if the flaps of the tent won't disturb the order of the expert's notes. When the smoke begins, the gnome begins to snuffle from the smell.

"Careful, Rayhan, you don't want to burn your..."

Then they're 'falling'. First pain!, then dizziness? Pent turns to see if all of them, Rayhan included, are busy swirling downwards, like leaves tumbled into bonfire disposal. His concern for the others is lost to distraction when he begins to see Folks of the Firestorm. Magnificent!! His eyes drink in the sights, through the tears brought on by the hellish heat of the fires.

His mind tries to place the beings, debates their immediate future, as they're left alone in their plummeting. He definitely tries to place the last warrior smoke.

Knowledge(Arcana): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24

He hears the others, and pays them no mind. They haven't finished traveling yet. He's sure of it.

When he sees a veritable marketplace swirl about him in the flame and cinder, he debates reaching in and securing various tangibles. Something warns him away, as if the price for pulling them out of the fire will be too great.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
CN Human Wizard 14 | Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +11; (+1 vs. fire) | AC 15 - CMD 17 | P +18, Init +10 | HP 87/94 | 12/12 jets remaining | Current buffs: Mage Armor, Overland Flight, Life Bubble, See Invisibility, Locate Creature (Hazim), Prot from fire 120 pts

Mahdi tenses as the scroll begins to smolder-- and then the world explodes in his chosen element, flame. He stares entranced at the fiery powerful figures that roil past him, wondering if they travel to the City of Brass itself or some even more heated locale.

Though wisps of things catch his eye, Mahdi reaches for nothing. He'll not seize images from a maelstrom, when he has no coin to pay for anything but his soul itself-- tarnished though that item may be!

Kn Planes on the figures?: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (18) + 17 = 35

Yeah Aldebert-- Ami too-- mage armor via pearls of power for your mounts both, eight or nine hours depending on exactly when the level up kicks on. ;)


Stats:
HP 107/107;AC27; F 11,R 15,W 15; Init:9; Perc 20 (normal). Yeenoghu: 154/154; AC 37 (usually);F 14+5,R 15+5, W 6+5; Perc 8;Acro 18 (lowlight)

Ami hugs Mahdi's leg as the braggart mage protects Yeen. "You're a good friend, Mahdi."

After the cat is protected, Ami jumps on and looks for tracks. He suspects that there would be lots of gnolls here, let alone other things and he means to hunt them down.

1d20 + 12 ⇒ (1) + 12 = 13 Survival (tracks)


Maps: Travel * Hut and more

Knowledge (planes) > 17:
The burning men are efreet.

Knowledge (history) > 29, subbing Mahdi's planes roll as history:
You identify the largest figure as an obscure but legendary efreeti warlord named Jhavhul who, according to legend, was imprisoned centuries ago in a world beyond the world.

Hold for a bit to give Otah time to chime in. Here's the next bit.

As suddenly as it began, the vortex of fire is no more. For a moment, you can see nothing, hear nothing, feel nothing. But then, sensation slowly returns. The sound of waves crashing on a shore; the feel of a warm breeze and the grit of a bed of sand; the smell of salt air and strange exotic flowers—all these and more slowly fill the world. As your vision clears, you behold an idyllic tropical bay. Behind you rises a hilly junglescape rife with birdlife and snakes and strange flowers. Across a shallow inlet, more of the island rises, its slopes covered with jungle as well. Above, the sky is cloudless and blue while some distance down the beach stand a pier and a small stone hut—the only signs of civilization. Of the vortex of fire itself, there is no sign.


Stats:
HP 107/107;AC27; F 11,R 15,W 15; Init:9; Perc 20 (normal). Yeenoghu: 154/154; AC 37 (usually);F 14+5,R 15+5, W 6+5; Perc 8;Acro 18 (lowlight)

Ami stares the fiery creatures trying to make up his mind about them.

1d20 + 10 ⇒ (4) + 10 = 14 Know (Planes)

He shrugs, assuming they are Servants of the Rough Beast. He looks around as the vision fades, noting the jungle and the absence of dry heat.

"Brother! The plants here are overgrown and strange! It is unnatural! Where is all this water coming from!? What sort of hell is this?" Ami asks Aldebert.


Dwarven Mobile Fighter 15 | HP: 168/168 | Init: +3 | Perc: +3 | SM: +1 | AC: 27(25) | Mobility: 31(29) | Touch: 16(14) | FF: 23(21) | CMD: 33 Res (fire) 30, Freedom of Movement | Fort: +14 | Ref: +9 | Will: 6 | +2 vs poisons, spells | +4 vs paralyze, slow, entangle

The dwarf trots out in the morning, hopiing to see this scroll business finally attended to. He paces on foot to Rayhan's location, but can't help but notice the mage's floating canopy.

"I would have thought you liked the sunlight."

Once the party arrives, he plants his horsechopper into the the desert sand, and fiddles with the straps to his bags. As the ritual begins, the dwarf peers into the distance, looking for signs of any trouble from the outside. Rayhan's warning comes as a surprise, the brimstone of falling even more so.

"Where are we go.." his voice gets caught as he begins to see shapes in the flames. For just a brief second, he appears to see a pair of shiny boots, but concern for burned hands prevents him from reaching out to grab them.

"This is supposed to happen?" he shouts again, the final words ringing louder than expected as the maelstrom dies down mid-sentence.

"Are we... where we're supposed to be?" he asks, searching around for Rayhan and the others. He also stops to check his beard, to search for singes and curls that may need trimming at another time.


Maps: Travel * Hut and more

Rayhan is in the middle of everyone, much where he was when he began working with the scroll. He seems equally amazed and confused. "Something isn't right here. The scroll, it must have been damaged somehow. I just don't understand. Those creatures. It's like they were coming from here. It just doesn't make sense. He looks up and around, a bit surprised - though mostly relieved to see all of you. What do you all think?

The beach seems relatively calm, though the sand and water does show signs of life, the signs look unlike those you are used to seeing. There seem few signs of of humanoid presence, even toward the pier and small stone hut in the distance.

What do you do?


CN Human Wizard 14 | Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +11; (+1 vs. fire) | AC 15 - CMD 17 | P +18, Init +10 | HP 87/94 | 12/12 jets remaining | Current buffs: Mage Armor, Overland Flight, Life Bubble, See Invisibility, Locate Creature (Hazim), Prot from fire 120 pts

Otah's jibe earns a little smirk in turn from Mahdi. "Fire, yes. Sun itself? Mmm."

And then everything seems to go to hell in the whirling vortex...

Mahdi sags onto his knees on the sandy beach, his mouth open in an expression of dread.

"...oh. Oh... I think that.... was bad," he mutters, recalling the mocking visage of the towering efreet. Mahdi clears his throat.

"The beings of fire-- those are efreet. Cruel, evil creatures from the plane of fire. And the especially tall one.... well... I think that might have been Jhavhul. A warlord of the efreeti. According to myth, chained beyond the world, in another world."

Mahdi lurches to his feet, brushing sand grimly from his robes. "Apparently, that prison world was Kakishon. Rayhan. The damage to the scroll-- would it prevent its use to send us home?" Sharp urgency shades his words.


Halfling (Per +19 | Fort +17 Ref +12 Will +15 | AC 26 (f25/t14) | CMD 29)

Sorry, lost a day to world events there. I'm back now, but shaky and drinking heavily...

Aldebert looks out at the idyllic bay and shakes his head at his brother. I don't know.

He listens to Mahdi, and makes a few connections. "Yeap, that was bad. If we're inside, and he's outside, we need to get back outside, and quickly. No rest for the wicked." he says unhappily.

He looks to Rayhan for answers.


Statistical Representation of Character's Sunny Disposition:
Male Gnome Ex-Jester HP: 99, AC: 13(t 11, f13), F 13, R 4, W 16, Init 0, Perception 23, Low Light Vision

The gnome struggles to his feet, taking in his surrounds. He's never set eyes on this land, and what lies ahead is likely going to be inhospitable, so he's in no rush to move forward from where he stands at present. He'd really like to go back, actually.


Maps: Travel * Hut and more

Rayhan holds up what remains of the scroll, it looks charred beyond recognition - though amazingly still intact. "I can try, but I don't think.. This just isn't right." He looks at the charred object and then around at the surrounding 'world.'


Stats:
HP 107/107;AC27; F 11,R 15,W 15; Init:9; Perc 20 (normal). Yeenoghu: 154/154; AC 37 (usually);F 14+5,R 15+5, W 6+5; Perc 8;Acro 18 (lowlight)

Amiamble looks at the others, then again at the fleeting forms of evil.

"Well, if Sarenrae wants us to do things, we should get going and not stand around like a gnome airing out his junk," Ami says, getting on Yeen.

When others are ready, he mosies to the pier and hut.


Halfling (Per +19 | Fort +17 Ref +12 Will +15 | AC 26 (f25/t14) | CMD 29)

Aldebert agrees with his brother and adds, "Rayhan, just hang back a bit in case there are hostilities. I don't want you to get hurt. We don't know what we face here."

He joins his brother, mounting Gretiem, and sidling over to the only structure they see.

He looks around the countryside one more time, wary of threats.

Perception: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (10) + 12 = 22


Maps: Travel * Hut and more

Aldebert notices the calm water's nearby being disturbed by something. His body language alone is enough to alert everyone. As everyone readies themselves several snake-like heads rise from the water, each is connected by its own sleek neck to a serpentine body of this. You see six heads in all.

Initiative
Mahdi: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (5) + 10 = 15
Aldebert: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11
Pent: 1d20 ⇒ 7
Amiamble: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18 (with Yeenoghu)
Otah: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12
NPC: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16

I've adjusted Init rolls based on latest levels. From what I can tell only Otah got a bump. Please do let me know if I missed something. I'll get a map up on Roll20 as soon as I can. For now assume everyone is within a standard move of the creature.

Round One: Ami w/Yeen now acting.

Init Track
Ami w/Yeen Init 18
NPC Init 16
Mahdi Init 15
Otah Init 12
Aldebert Init 11
Pent Init 7

6,951 to 7,000 of 10,988 << first < prev | 135 | 136 | 137 | 138 | 139 | 140 | 141 | 142 | 143 | 144 | 145 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Rat Sass's Legacy of Fire - Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.