GM Rat Sass's Legacy of Fire (Inactive)

Game Master GM Rat Sass

Part 6 - The Final Wish
Roll20 Link
Treasure Log
New Map of Kelmarane


6,901 to 6,950 of 10,988 << first < prev | 134 | 135 | 136 | 137 | 138 | 139 | 140 | 141 | 142 | 143 | 144 | next > last >>

Statistical Representation of Character's Sunny Disposition:
Male Gnome Ex-Jester HP: 99, AC: 13(t 11, f13), F 13, R 4, W 16, Init 0, Perception 23, Low Light Vision
Aldebert wrote:
"Did you want to keep that Pent? I can see you throwing down a lion in battle now and again, but I'd like to sell it if you're not too attached. It's worth quite a bit I think. Mahdi here has been getting the short end of the stick I'm afraid, and I'd like to make it up to him. See, we divide the treasure equally, after we cherry-pick a few fine items for ourselves. That's been mostly working out, except for poor Mahdi here who hasn't found much he feels is worth keeping. I say, if Pent is agreeable, we sell the bag of tricks and give the proceeds entirely to Mahdi. Then we split the rest as usual. That will bring us all back into alignment more or less as you can see from these figures here."

Pent looks down at the tan bag, patting it proudly as Aldebert promises him great animalistic feats of battle, until the half makes it clear that he sees no such future at all. He's about to full-out frump, when the half points out Mahdi's imbalance. "Well of course I'm agreeable, Aldi. If Mahdi's to benefit, I'll simply forego the use of this nifty trickty, as if it never bolstered our side of battle, never endeared itself to our collective gear." The gnome looks into the bag one more time, just in case he can pull another furball from it, and witness its magic one more time.

...

Aldebert wrote:
"Maybe even have some of us stay with him while the others shop so we know he's protected."

Pent looks back and forth between Aldebert and Otah. "You want some of us to stay, and some of us to go, the very day we return to tend to Rayhan, in his weakened state. Are you forgetting that Mahdi and I are spent, spell-wise? We'll need as much rest as Rayhan to get ourselves up to snuff, if we're fixing on splitting up." With that declaration, the gnome tucks tail, and seeks out a good night's rest himself, expecting to revel in Sarah's morning light when his eyes are good and ready to open once more.

...

Pent spends his first morning renewed on the top floor of the Villa, sonorously speaking with Sarah, most of it on his back, with his bare feet pointed at the Sun.

Rayhan wrote:
"I hope to have this mystery unraveled in a week. Do let me know if you hear of any more threats or parties looking to buy. At some point I will need to see the object in question. Assuming you all want this mystery unraveled."

Pent looks up from his porridge, beard lightly wetted. "For the mud we dragged ourselves through, and the pit we pulled you from, you have to ask?"


Maps: Travel * Hut and more

"If my muck clogged brain has cleared enough to remember I recall there was a desire to leave this place and take the mysterious bit of paper far away."

Assuming all the shopping is set we can move ahead. Happy to keep things open for role-play. Just let me know.


Stats:
HP 107/107;AC27; F 11,R 15,W 15; Init:9; Perc 20 (normal). Yeenoghu: 154/154; AC 37 (usually);F 14+5,R 15+5, W 6+5; Perc 8;Acro 18 (lowlight)
GM Lareg wrote:
Assuming all the shopping is set we can move ahead. Happy to keep things open for role-play. Just let me know.

"Yes, we should be leaving this evil city and the crazies within: the Crying Priestess of Sarenrae and the Abarans who Think It Is Okay To Steal. We should leave here because Sarenrae does not want this scroll unlocked. She wants us to protect and we cannot do it here in this City of Crazed."


Maps: Travel * Hut and more

Rayhan nods, a mixture of relief and concern is shown on his tired but clearly rested expression. "I'm glad to know I haven't miss remembered. Are there any concerns I might address, if I can? I don't wish to be unappreciative of your endeavors, but I would also very much like to learn what I can. If anything this horrible experience has for me, at least confirmed the validity of my suspicion that what you have found is indeed genuine. Pausing thoughtfully before continuing - looking at everyone. And if I may, I would very much like to review the details of my rescue. Perhaps there is something that may provide me some further guidance in my research?"

As far as details go, what specifically is Rayhan told (or not told)?


Stats:
HP 107/107;AC27; F 11,R 15,W 15; Init:9; Perc 20 (normal). Yeenoghu: 154/154; AC 37 (usually);F 14+5,R 15+5, W 6+5; Perc 8;Acro 18 (lowlight)

I want to post more, but the lack of posts from Otah and Mahdi (last posts were Thursday) is disturbing. I'll wait until morning before Ami speaks reply.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Statistical Representation of Character's Sunny Disposition:
Male Gnome Ex-Jester HP: 99, AC: 13(t 11, f13), F 13, R 4, W 16, Init 0, Perception 23, Low Light Vision

Pent finishes polishing his gong, his cleaning rags lying about in various forms of saturation, oil or otherwise. When Rayhan is ready to inquire, Pent is ready to inspire.

"Ah, Master Rayhan, eyes covered, mouth smothered, whisked away to another location. You should hear tell of the fell creatures that nearly kicked our collective rumps. From the first floor, we dealt with cockamamie and cockatrice, before delving down below, and dealing with much worse..."

The gnome gestures emphatically, bringing his rags to represent various nemeses, while the utensils take on the anthropomorphic quality of each of the party members, stabbing and twirling the rags in dervish-like death knells. From gargoyles to gillyfishmen, from powerful eyeball to tentacled egg yolk, Pent works through each fight with frustrated lack of full remembrance. Some of his unconsciousness during the eyeball fight is blamed for his memory loss.

He finally brings up the strange dude, the unfleshy dude, the one in... he picks up two rags, overlapping them to indicate that this villain was itself garbed in rags, which he smacks flat, to indicate to Rayhan, while speaking on it, that the creature disappeared after its demise, body-less.

"Mahdi should know more about the creature. Twas a strange one, indeed."

Pent kicks back in to describe the mummy and daddy jack fight, and the bag of tricks bringing the circus to town. After finishing his account, he looks about the table, trying to remember something. It hits him, finally. He pulls Rayhan's Gem of Seeing from his belt pouch, grabbing a clean rag, and cleaning the magical stone, before handing it back.

"Only glad it wasn't stolen, when you were. It appears you're more valuable than the Gem, for what consolation it brings you."


Maps: Travel * Hut and more

Will hold then for others to add details then.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Dwarven Mobile Fighter 15 | HP: 168/168 | Init: +3 | Perc: +3 | SM: +1 | AC: 27(25) | Mobility: 31(29) | Touch: 16(14) | FF: 23(21) | CMD: 33 Res (fire) 30, Freedom of Movement | Fort: +14 | Ref: +9 | Will: 6 | +2 vs poisons, spells | +4 vs paralyze, slow, entangle
Aldebert wrote:

He also addresses a concern that has been brewing for some time. "Mahdi here has been getting the short end of the stick I'm afraid, and I'd like to make it up to him. See, we divide the treasure equally, after we cherry-pick a few fine items for ourselves. That's been mostly working out, except for poor Mahdi here who hasn't found much he feels is worth keeping."

Aldebert takes out a ledger and notes the various distributions to any who care to examine it. When he's thoroughly laid out the trouble, he suggests a solution.

"I say, if Pent is agreeable, we sell the bag of tricks and give the proceeds entirely to Mahdi. Then we split the rest as usual. That will bring us all back into alignment more or less as you can see from these figures here." he points to the ledger again.

Otah nods in agreement. "I've nothing against that. Wouldn't want to give him a reason to singe my beard.... any more." he plucks at soot covered facial hair.

Pent wrote:
"You want some of us to stay, and some of us to go, the very day we return to tend to Rayhan, in his weakened state. Are you forgetting that Mahdi and I are spent, spell-wise? We'll need as much rest as Rayhan to get ourselves up to snuff, if we're fixing on splitting up."

"Pent's right, we should get some rest ourselves. I'm eager to retrieve my horsechopper, but we all could use rest."

Rayhan wrote:
"And if I may, I would very much like to review the details of my rescue. Perhaps there is something that may provide me some further guidance in my research?"

Otah listens to the gnome's portrayal of events and offers little in addition, other than to criticize the sanity of the Jackal and his minions.

Amiamble wrote:
"Yes, we should be leaving this evil city and the crazies within: the Crying Priestess of Sarenrae and the Abarans who Think It Is Okay To Steal. We should leave here because Sarenrae does not want this scroll unlocked. She wants us to protect and we cannot do it here in this City of Crazed."

"Let's find out what it is. It could guide us to the thing she actually wants us to protect, not just this scrap of paper."

"But we should do it tomorrow, after we've retrieved our gear, sales, and are rested enough to deal with the ramifications."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
CN Human Wizard 14 | Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +11; (+1 vs. fire) | AC 15 - CMD 17 | P +18, Init +10 | HP 87/94 | 12/12 jets remaining | Current buffs: Mage Armor, Overland Flight, Life Bubble, See Invisibility, Locate Creature (Hazim), Prot from fire 120 pts

Mahdi is uncharacteristically quiet for much of the way back to Rayhan's estate, perhaps the exertion of all the magical energies earlier in the day. He is solicitous of Rayhan on the way back, but when the question Arises, Once Again, of exactly what is happening next with the scroll and their intentions he lets out an exhausted sigh.

"The notion to take it far away from here was entirely the notion of Amiable's," he points out. "Others among us do not share the notion and might have tried to prevail upon him otherwise... had not our initial negotiations ended with us being turned from your house, Master Rayhan. I do not say that to fault you-- I understand your irritation-- only to clarify that there is by no means a consensus as exactly what is happening next with the scroll. Amiamble's wishes are not adorned with a royal decree, and to whatever extent I felt like going along with them in the past, it was due to believing that our door of opportunity with you had closed.

"If it has not closed, then I believe we are all due for a very long discussion."

Mahdi stares darkly at Ami as he speaks. "But from what Amiamble is saying thus far, he clearly has not changed his mind. Aldebert. What are your thoughts, for you're the only one among us that has a chance as to swaying your brother from his fixations."


Stats:
HP 107/107;AC27; F 11,R 15,W 15; Init:9; Perc 20 (normal). Yeenoghu: 154/154; AC 37 (usually);F 14+5,R 15+5, W 6+5; Perc 8;Acro 18 (lowlight)

Ami tries to explain things to Rayhan, shooting a glare at Mahdi.

Sarenrae's Servants haven't been talking to him about the Scroll for *good* reason.

"I would have more trust if this city was less crazy, Rayhan," Ami says, perhaps more sternly than he would normally, but his ire has been aroused by events of the last week. "It is not clear to me that Sarenrae wishes you, or anyone else to prod and unlock the scroll. I have asked. I have spoken and I have prayed. I have sought council with the servants of Sarenrae."

"I have spoken to The Priestess Who Cries. She speaks in riddles that do not enlighten. Don't even get me started on the ruling caste, the 'Abadarans'," Ami airquotes his contempt with the word 'Abadarans' because Aldebert at least knows stealing is wrong, unlike the ruling council, "Who think it's okay to take the Scroll away because they want to."

Ami pauses, then continues.

"When I asked, the servants of Sarenrae said that it shall not happen. I would ask again, but that would be foolish. And the heretic gassy gnome asked...but his answer did not answer it either. Sarenrae's servants tell me to protect the scroll; that does not mean that we pry it open and potentially destroy it."

Ami doesn't glance at any gnomes in the nearby area. He could be speaking about any number of flatulent gnomes, real or imaginary.

"We are only going to allow this Scroll to be looked at if Sarenrae allows it. I will accede to the wishes of the Sun."


Halfling (Per +19 | Fort +17 Ref +12 Will +15 | AC 26 (f25/t14) | CMD 29)
"GM Lareg” wrote:
I hope to have this mystery unraveled in a week. Do let me know if you hear of any more threats or parties looking to buy. At some point I will need to see the object in question. Assuming you all want this mystery unraveled."

”Of course. Please call on us if we can be of any assistance at all. Thank you.” Aldebert is relieved to be free of the obligation of guarding the man for a week. He agrees with his brother, ”Yes, let’s go.”

As he’s walking to the inn he responds to Pent, ”Well yes, once we’re all rested of course, but it’s moot now that we don’t need to guard Rayhan. Let’s head to the inn and rest until we all feel ready to continue.”

Aldebert is glad for Mahdi's advice and, after his brother has his say, he speaks.

"It seems to me that no-one, neither god nor man, has told us what to do with the scroll. Yes Sarenrae said we would not be so successful as to open the scroll, but that does not mean there is not something to learn here."

"Brother, you wish to leave this city, and travel to the unknown in search of some guidance. Or, barring that, live our lives in the desert guarding something we know little about, save it's importance to many."

"Mahdi, you would have Rayhan give us what council he can, though we need to wait another week for that to occur."

He rubs the stubble on his chin. Looks like it's my week to shave. he thinks, happy at least there's something he can prove.

He looks at the group, "I suggest we give Rayhan his week. I am not ready to be an ascetic, wandering the desert for the sake of this piece of paper. Nor am I ready to give it up - to the authorities or anyone else. I do think this mighty city has its problems, but I think a weeks delay should not cost us much." he tries not to think of the events of the last day.

"Let us lie low, and give Rayhan time to pursue his research. Meanwhile, brother, let us investigate a backup plan in the event he fails. Surely there must be a band of Sarenraeans somewhere with the ability to do this research as well. Let us find them and, perhaps, join them when Rayhan has had his opportunity."

"After all, with what we've put Rayhan through, it's the least we can do - let him finish the task before him. Then, with luck, we will have information to guide our next steps."

”Today I shall be able to collect my armor I think, and brother, I shall begin to pay you back as well. Here, let me show you.” he shows his brother, in the family books, where he’s transferred 1,000gp from Aldebert to Amiamble, and it shows there is still 2,000gp owed. ”Thanks again Ami.”

Treasure Distribution!:
OK, so we bought a Scroll Breath of Life (1125) x2, Wand CLW (750) x2, and a Wand Knock (4500). Mahdi, please carry and track the wand of knock. Pent and Amiamble, why don’t you each grab a CLW wand and a Breath of Life scroll. Ami, can you read that scroll in a pinch? It’d be sweet if we had two folks who could pull that out.

As for divvy, it’s uneven this time. Madhi gets 9,230gp, while the rest of us get 1,230gp each. Please note it on your sheets. Thanks!
- - -


Statistical Representation of Character's Sunny Disposition:
Male Gnome Ex-Jester HP: 99, AC: 13(t 11, f13), F 13, R 4, W 16, Init 0, Perception 23, Low Light Vision

Pent watches as Aldebert seems to want to leave Rayhan to his own, so the gnome speaks up. "If Rayhan doesn't object, I'd like to stay in the Villa once again, and supervise his safety. I can't believe the jackal is the only one fixing to try anything regarding the well-known Scroll. Aldebert, if you want to head into town and notify the authorities, you have my blessing. But consider returning here, and helping guard our researcher."

Pent looks fit to remain with Rayhan, unless Rayhan shoos him off. "As for the Scroll, Rayhan, knowledge is power. Those who flail around in ignorance will get nowhere quickly, so please give us your wisdom regarding its power and purpose, so we may find our own. The sooner, the better, master Rayhan. The sooner, the better."

The gnome returns to polishing his gong, ringing it every so often, and inspecting it for new smear.


Maps: Travel * Hut and more

Everything is easily purchased and Otah's gear awaits him, well adorned following his wishes. Alderbert finds his armor likewise, accompanied by a note from Kazim. Along with the prompt and fair response of the merchants, it is clear that the word of the group's deeds have become nearly public knowledge. The well to do make a point to greet the party, from a safe distance. Those with less auspicious interests make a point to avoid doing whatever ill deeds they might otherwise have intended.

Knowledge (local), take 10:
Those parties that had approached the party before, with interest in the scroll realize now that the force necessary would break them from the protection of the merchant guilds and the city, which is like life itself for their commerce. A cost which is too large to pay. It has been decided that the party will be given distance and time. Many are curious to learn what price they will ask.

Rayhan welcomes the party to come and go as they please, but does admit that the quiet makes his research easier. He does hope that he might look at the item, though he doesn't expect it to be left with him. "I might be able to figure out specifics from my notes, but it will be much longer than a week if I am not permitted to see the object in question. I wish I could solve this mystery for you faster. It can either be opened or not, that is all I can offer."

Note for Aldebert, from Kazim:
"[b]Word of you and your fellow's victory is even now circulating. Father Jackal's fellows have been dealt with and none will risk crossing you while within the city and the surrounding area. You have my word that the guilds will not interfere with whatever it is you intend. The guards have been asked to include Rayhan's home in their patrols, knowing that any risk now would come from beyond our boarders. Of course I can not speak of whatever risk is held within the treasure the old man studies. With gracious thanks and admiration, Kazim[b]"


Statistical Representation of Character's Sunny Disposition:
Male Gnome Ex-Jester HP: 99, AC: 13(t 11, f13), F 13, R 4, W 16, Init 0, Perception 23, Low Light Vision

Pent looks at Aldebert. "Show him, already. Not sure how many different ways the man can ask about handling the Scroll personally. It's needed, and the sooner he sees it, feels it, reads it, rubs it, smells it, the sooner we can all move on."


Halfling (Per +19 | Fort +17 Ref +12 Will +15 | AC 26 (f25/t14) | CMD 29)

Aldebert produces the scroll for Rayhan and carefully hands it over. Though he speaks to the party, his eyes don't leave the scroll.

"Pent, I think Rayhan will be well protected, the city is starting to respect our position." he hands the note to Pent and then repeats it for all.

"Kazim writes, 'Word of you and your fellow's victory is even now circulating. Father Jackal's fellows have been dealt with and none will risk crossing you while within the city and the surrounding area. You have my word that the guilds will not interfere with whatever it is you intend. The guards have been asked to include Rayhan's home in their patrols, knowing that any risk now would come from beyond our boarders. Of course I can not speak of whatever risk is held within the treasure the old man studies. With gracious thanks and admiration, Kazim'."

"So let us give Rayhan his peace and quiet when he's finished with his examinations. I have things to do this day, and research is among them."

When Rayhan is done with the scroll, Aldebert takes it back, puts it in the bag, and hides it in his armor before departing and leaving the wizard in peace.


Stats:
HP 107/107;AC27; F 11,R 15,W 15; Init:9; Perc 20 (normal). Yeenoghu: 154/154; AC 37 (usually);F 14+5,R 15+5, W 6+5; Perc 8;Acro 18 (lowlight)
Aldebert Piddlespot wrote:
"It seems to me that no-one, neither god nor man, has told us what to do with the scroll. Yes Sarenrae said we would not be so successful as to open the scroll, but that does not mean there is not something to learn here."

Ami stays with the Scroll. If Rayhan is studying it, Ami is in the room. If Aldebert has it, then Ami is with Aldebert. If Ami has the Scroll, then Ami is still with Aldebert.

Ami won't be in Rayhan's way too much, but he will be protecting the Scroll as if he was told to by a servant of his god: which means he is going to protect the Scroll until he dies.

Aldebert Piddlespot wrote:
"Let us lie low, and give Rayhan time to pursue his research."

"No, Brother. If he has the scroll, then he has me watching him with the Scroll. If he doesn't like it, then we should go elsewhere. There is no one to trust in this city with it. No one but us," Ami says grimly to his brother, worried that he might not understand the weight of the Scroll and his duty to protect it.

If the Scroll is going shopping, so does Ami. He, like always, keeps an eye on Aldebert's back while the halfling deals with marketers and salespeople. He *hates* the market, but knows it makes his brother happy so he tries to tolerate it.

Aldebert wrote:
He shows his brother, in the family books, where he’s transferred 1,000gp from Aldebert to Amiamble, and it shows there is still 2,000gp owed. ”Thanks again Ami.”

Ami grins as his brother pays off the debt in check boxes and numbers (something that Ami does not pay much attention to and he trusts his brother) but does not include any interest on the load. He smirks at that, knowing just how to play with his brother as brothers do.

"Brother, I think it is interesting that there is no Abadar's Usury on that loan...it's been, what...a day or two? Should I not have earned a few coppers as well? Might be enough to buy another goat for Yeen."


Statistical Representation of Character's Sunny Disposition:
Male Gnome Ex-Jester HP: 99, AC: 13(t 11, f13), F 13, R 4, W 16, Init 0, Perception 23, Low Light Vision

Pent nods in mock satisfaction as Aldebert produces Kazim's message. "Oh, now that Kazim knows that folks were willing and able to make an attempt on Rayhan, she's willing to actively patrol. Forewarned, forearmed, foreheaded." Pent heads off to secure his camel, bringing it back to Rayhan's estate, the implication that his team is welcome on premises. He spends the day nitpicking his hair. The camel's, of course.

The rest of the time, Pent leisures about the Villa, spending plenty of time on the roof, occasionally soaring from it with Sarah's daily blessings. He divebombs the waters below, using a bubble of air to allow him a little more time below the surface, and enjoy Sarah's Light flicker through the waters from above.

He checks up on Mahdi and Otah at odd times, figuring out their use of leisure time. He spends more time with Otah, finding him to be easily the most affable of all his team.

Side Chirps with the Dwarf:

"What do you look like without the beard? Do dwarves have chins? Do dwarven children have beards? Do you call the woman's nethers a beard, too, since they don't wear 'em on their faces? What is it with dwarves and beards? Does nose hair contribute? What about ear hair? Do you ever braid that? Ooo, ooo, or your arm's pit? What dwarven traditions exist involving beards? The longer the beard, the shorter the..? You ever colored your beard? You ever have your beard plum burned off? If a dwarf turns vampire, do they retain their beard? Your beard ever get you into trouble, you know, like getting caught in a woman's teeth? How often do you groom it? You use any special products to manage its luster? Do dwarves get beard envy?"


Maps: Travel * Hut and more

Rayhan nods at the arrangement, bringing up only one request. "I'm I may sir Piddlespot. Might you be willing to leave your feline fellow to guard the door outside of my library? I understand it is a lot to ask, but such a grand animal does not deserve to be squeezed into a dusty room of books and old furniture."

Sense motive, any ranks:
Rayhan is desperately trying to be polite. It is clear having an animal in his home is not what he wishes, but hospitality is important. The thought of an animal in his library is too much for the old man to consider.


Halfling (Per +19 | Fort +17 Ref +12 Will +15 | AC 26 (f25/t14) | CMD 29)
Amiamble Piddlespot wrote:
"Brother, I think it is interesting that there is no Abadar's Usury on that loan...it's been, what...a day or two? Should I not have earned a few coppers as well? Might be enough to buy another goat for Yeen."

"Usury huh? I see, a regular loan shark you are! A goat for two days loan! Very well, you drive a hard bargain. When we're done here, let us give Yeen his plaything, and then I'll pick up my armor..." he grins as he adds a note to the form in the margin.

GM Lareg wrote:
Rayhan nods at the arrangement, bringing up only one request. "I'm I may sir Piddlespot. Might you be willing to leave your feline fellow to guard the door outside of my library? I understand it is a lot to ask, but such a grand animal does not deserve to be squeezed into a dusty room of books and old furniture."

"A reasonable request surely Ami. Yeen can guard the door. OK?"


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Dwarven Mobile Fighter 15 | HP: 168/168 | Init: +3 | Perc: +3 | SM: +1 | AC: 27(25) | Mobility: 31(29) | Touch: 16(14) | FF: 23(21) | CMD: 33 Res (fire) 30, Freedom of Movement | Fort: +14 | Ref: +9 | Will: 6 | +2 vs poisons, spells | +4 vs paralyze, slow, entangle

Otah spends some of his off time practicing with his newly enchanted horsechopper. In evenings, he can be found recounting some of the attacks and counter-attacks used in the battles against the oddities of the store-house into his journal.

During days, he can be found between patrolling Rayhan's halls and compound, or pal-ing it up with the gnome.

Pent's rambling wrote:
"What do you look like without the beard?"

"Probably like a fat gnome." he grins.

Pent's rambling wrote:
"Do dwarves have chins?"

The dwarf rolls his eyes..."No... it's straight from nose to neck here."

Pent's rambling wrote:
"Do dwarven children have beards?"

"When they reach adulthood."

Pent's rambling wrote:
"Do you call the woman's nethers a beard, too, since they don't wear 'em on their faces?"

The dwarf laughs, "There are many a rude name for such parts, but we're proud of our facial hair. I suppose some cou..." he stops himself and shudders, "No, we don't call them that."

Pent's rambling wrote:
"What is it with dwarves and beards?"

"The gods graced us with something beautiful. Shouldn't we as proud of them as gnomes are for their ingenuity?"

Pent's rambling wrote:
"Does nose hair contribute?"

He laughs, "Sometimes, the elderly don't pluck them... but I think humans have the same problem."

Pent's rambling wrote:
"What about ear hair? Do you ever braid that?"

"Disgusting."

Pent's rambling wrote:
" Ooo, ooo, or your arm's pit?"

"... I'd probably need an elf's hands for that."

Pent's rambling wrote:
"What dwarven traditions exist involving beards?"

"Many, a beard is just as celebrated for it's strength as it's beauty. We occasionally gather to toss our beards over a bar and see who can stand getting their beards pulled long enough to lift them over the bar. Winners usually drink free for a week. That's not nothing for my kind."

Pent's rambling wrote:
"The longer the beard, the shorter the..?"

"I wouldn't know gnome, my beard is quite bountiful."

Pent's rambling wrote:
"You ever colored your beard?"

"Not on purpose... had a handmaiden fetching some paint once trip over me... was finding red polka-dots for a week."

Pent's rambling wrote:
"You ever have your beard plum burned off?"

"No... though Mahdi sure keeps trying."

Pent's rambling wrote:
"If a dwarf turns vampire, do they retain their beard?"

"Yes... but they always turn white."

Pent's rambling wrote:
"Your beard ever get you into trouble, you know, like getting caught in a woman's teeth?"

The dwarf laughs, "perhaps you should ask that new found wife of yours" he lets the uncomfortable thought hang for a second before continuing, "how she feels about your beard."

Pent's rambling wrote:
"How often do you groom it?"

"Only when someone does something to it, otherwise it tends to be fine on it's own."

Pent's rambling wrote:
"You use any special products to manage its luster?"

"Water?"

Pent's rambling wrote:
"Do dwarves get beard envy?"

"Sometimes it happens..." the dwarf trails off.


Maps: Travel * Hut and more

Rayhan enters the library, smiling in Yeen's direction before welcoming Ami into the room. The old man closes the door, but does not lock it.

Ami:
Rayhan nods, speaking off and on as he sorts books and papers that were strewn about during his abduction. "Thank you for letting me see the scroll. You need not worry about anyone spying on my work as the room is protected. Feel free to dust off one of the old chairs to sit if you like. I'll let a bit of light in." Rayhan shifts the curtain covering the one small window and then finishes his tidying up. Dusting off a space on the table. He shifts several paper weights and then looks toward you, awaiting the scroll's presence.

Assuming everyone is amenable I'll do a bit more 'study' with Rayhan over this first day back in his home and then shift us ahead to the end of the week. So far I've seen interest in shopping and some possible contacts on the part of Aldebert / Yeen (temple visits?) Other destinations or errands?


Stats:
HP 107/107;AC27; F 11,R 15,W 15; Init:9; Perc 20 (normal). Yeenoghu: 154/154; AC 37 (usually);F 14+5,R 15+5, W 6+5; Perc 8;Acro 18 (lowlight)
Aldebert wrote:
"A reasonable request surely Ami. Yeen can guard the door. OK?"

Ami nods to the request, but sits with his back to the door with one of his hands under the door so he and Yeen can be in contact.

@Rayhan:
Ami continues to play with Yeen for a moments before he realizes that Rayhan is looking at him...expecting something from him.

Ami jumps to his feet with the realization (causing a similar alarmed skitter from queen through the door), smiling and pulling out the Scroll. He moves over to offer it to Rayhan.

He watches Rayhan handle the scroll for a few minutes, and eventually goes back to sit near the door and Yeen.


Maps: Travel * Hut and more

The day of access to the scroll has clearly energized Rayhan. He seems beside himself at the evening meal, where everyone is welcomed. Fresh foods have been brought from the city and prepared well. The house seems to be slowly returning to the routine, though it will be some time before the old man's garden is back to what it was, having been trampled in the conflict.

Nearly back to his pre abduction self, Rayhan assures those gathered of his progress.

"With the note and specifics I was able to gather today I can assure you that I will have this mystery unraveled within the week. It will be up to all of you if you wish to open the door to which I will soon find the key." With that Rayhan eat's absentmindedly as he scribbles notes on the backside of a scroll.

Day 1 to 3:
Day 1, Rayhan rests and reviews the library materials organizing what he had done before his abduction. Day 2, With the scroll in hand Rayhan makes a detailed diagram and begins his close study of the scroll. Day 3, Closed in his library for the day Rayhan has food brought to him as he continues his study.

Day 3 task or intentions for the PCs?


Halfling (Per +19 | Fort +17 Ref +12 Will +15 | AC 26 (f25/t14) | CMD 29)

Aldebert watches in horror as Otah replies to every question Pent asked. He whispers a warning, given too late to do any good, "You're just encouraging him!"

As soon as the scroll is secured back in his or Amiamble's possession, Aldebert makes tracks for the city, and shopping!

Having little currency, he buys nothing, but being among the merchants and street vendors is a blessing of its own. It helps him clear his head of the burdens the party has been carrying, if only for a little while.

Mindful of his brothers malaise at the activity, he cuts it a little short and heads to the armorers, and collects his glorious mithral full plate armor. He's giddy during the final fitting, and can't wait to stride around town in his new threads. As a tip, he abandons his old scale to the armorer to melt down, or whatever it is they do with such things.

I need to buy some chain to sleep in when out, but this will certainly do for now.

The next day (day three I think), he talks with his brother, "Let us discover, should Rayhan fail, where we can find some good Sarenrae worshippers to help us with this scroll. We could start with the church, but it might be better to gather what information can be had from the clerks in the government as well. They would know what other cities are substantive enough to have the sorts of men we seek."

Aldebert will spend the bulk of the day gathering information to that end. Namely looking for pockets of Sarenrae intelligencia or the like. Folks who are worshipers first, and scholars second. Someone who will bring their religious beliefs into the equation. It could well be a tough thing to find...

Gather information: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (12) + 11 = 23
Gather information: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (15) + 11 = 26


Stats:
HP 107/107;AC27; F 11,R 15,W 15; Init:9; Perc 20 (normal). Yeenoghu: 154/154; AC 37 (usually);F 14+5,R 15+5, W 6+5; Perc 8;Acro 18 (lowlight)

As Ami will not be leaving the scroll while in Rayhan's possession, Ami spends a lot of time with Rayhan in the stuffy library. He insists that Aldebert bring back some nice supping goats for Yeen (after all, the cat has earned it) so the cat will have something to do while Ami watches Rayhan.

If any of the others volunteer to guard the scroll, then Ami is happy to have the relief and will take Yeen for long runs outside the city where they can run really fast and let the Sun soak their skin.

Aldebert wrote:
"...wrong things that are wrong..."

Ami looks at his brother saying things that aren't right.

"Brother, I hope you have not been misleading me. We will not be opening up the Scroll at all. That wasn't what we are doing. That wasn't what we were allowing. We're not allowed to do that unless Sarenrae says so. You wanted to let him examine the Scroll so we would know more about it, not so we could decide to *actually* do it! Is this what you mean?" Ami has tears in his eyes as he realizes that his brother might be stringing him along.

Rayhan wrote:
"With the note and specifics I was able to gather today I can assure you that I will have this mystery unraveled within the week. It will be up to all of you if you wish to open the door to which I will soon find the key."

Ami repeats what Rayhan said. "We are not going to open it, Brother. If that is what you think, that we can even discuss opening it...then we should stop this right now and not waste his time. You said you wish to know more about it, but not to open it."


Dwarven Mobile Fighter 15 | HP: 168/168 | Init: +3 | Perc: +3 | SM: +1 | AC: 27(25) | Mobility: 31(29) | Touch: 16(14) | FF: 23(21) | CMD: 33 Res (fire) 30, Freedom of Movement | Fort: +14 | Ref: +9 | Will: 6 | +2 vs poisons, spells | +4 vs paralyze, slow, entangle
Aldebert wrote:
"You're just encouraging him!"

The dwarf laughs at the delayed warning..."His questions are kind of silly, yes. They are a good distraction from Ami's serious bent on duty. Tell me Aldebert, who chose him as Sarenrae's spokesperson anyway? It seems to me that Pent's word would carry as much weight in her authoritiy as your brother's. Does she choose to approach the scroll through two voices?"

The dwarf will offer to swap out shifts with the more sullen halfling, so that he and Yeen can run in the sun and Rayhan might get a few moments respite.

After day 3, Otah will go into the city for a little shopping of his own.

Posting from my phone, I'll do a shopping list in the AM


Maps: Travel * Hut and more

This is day 4. Will back track to fill in the details of PCs errands on day three.

Whether hearing or anticipating Rayhan wakes the morning after spending the previous day practically locked in his library with his notes and diagrams, insisting everyone gather for the morning meal. Once all those willing are gathered, Rayhan quickly finishes the cup of tea he has been nursing impatiently.

"It is clear to me now what the purpose of the object is. Both map and door is what is before us. As I believe your very own companion suspects, Glancing toward Mahdi the strange scroll holds within it the path to another place. A place of wonders and treasures. What concerns me is not whether or not you decide to follow this map, to let me open the door, but that something has shifted within. From what I have gathered of the battle beneath the warehouse, the strange beings that you encountered had some role to play. Whatever was set in motion there has helped reveal the key to me. You might even imagine the door cracking a bit. Though I struggle to describe what has actually transpired, what I do know is that not all is what it was beyond this door." The old man's voice trails off. He seems deeply concerned, an expression of worry flashes across his face as he goes between another cup of tea, slices of smoked ham, and crumbly biscuits while scribbling upon tattered bits of scroll.


Statistical Representation of Character's Sunny Disposition:
Male Gnome Ex-Jester HP: 99, AC: 13(t 11, f13), F 13, R 4, W 16, Init 0, Perception 23, Low Light Vision

Pent considers the glorious wealth he's managed to accrue, and decides to invest it in jewelry. Some of it. Well, most of it. For now. Convert one form of currency into another, more potent, form. Debating a Pearl of Power Purchase, presuming Mahdi is impotent in producing impressive pretties...

...

Pent revels in the answers to each and every inquiry from the ever-patient dwarf. He's too busy processing the answers to formulate new questions quickly. He nods, believing Otah to be sincere in each and every response. "How she feels about my beard... She felt about it pretty soundly, over it, under it, through it..." Pent grins sheepishly.

As Otah questions Aldebert, Pent catches his name, so his attention diverts, curious as to why discussions of religious authority are still arising. He doesn't immediately jump into that, remembering the rudeness the last time it came up.


Halfling (Per +19 | Fort +17 Ref +12 Will +15 | AC 26 (f25/t14) | CMD 29)
Amiamble Piddlespot wrote:
Rayhan wrote:
"With the note and specifics I was able to gather today I can assure you that I will have this mystery unraveled within the week. It will be up to all of you if you wish to open the door to which I will soon find the key."
Ami repeats what Rayhan said. "We are not going to open it, Brother. If that is what you think, that we can even discuss opening it...then we should stop this right now and not waste his time. You said you wish to know more about it, but not to open it."

”Brother, relax, we are getting information, we are not acting. We must know what this thing is, and all about it. We are not opening it so long as the gods themselves oppose such an action.”

Otah Cragsmith wrote:
"Tell me Aldebert, who chose him (Amiamble) as Sarenrae's spokesperson anyway? It seems to me that Pent's word would carry as much weight in her authority as your brother's. Does she choose to approach the scroll through two voices?"

”Oh sure, Pent may know more about Sarenrae than Amiamble or less, I don’t know - but they both know a lot. However, when we were in the desert, Vardishal, a saint of Sarenrae, spoke to my brother, and occasionally does so to this day. His ghost is benevolent and when it manifested historically would often spout omens to the followers of Sarenrae about potential danger, as he has done to Amiamble.”

”So while they both have a line on Sarenrae, we are commanded by a saint to protect the scroll. And in fact subsequent divinations by both of them seem to support that and support the idea we cannot open it, whatever that even means. So long as Vardishal remains opposed to the scrolls opening, I cannot see a way around it.” he rubs the back of his neck, still not quite at ease in his new armor. Like a new suit, it’s all starchy and stiff…

”I myself an unsure about the whole thing. It feels very much above our pay grade. I am, as much as anything, trying to string the days along until a solution can be found - and I fully expect it to be a solution that does not involve us.”

”There are grand forces at work here and I feel we are but pawns in it. Pawns survive when they make it to the other end of the board, and that’s what I mean to do.”

- - -

On the fourth day, with Rayhan, ”So this scroll is really just a treasure map and key? That’s all? I had thought something more…” he trails off, wondering why this isn’t an Abadar thing. ”Is there at least some nameless treasure that should not see the light of day? I’m confused as to why the gods would be so interested in such a thing. Sarenrae in particular.” he shakes his head not understanding any of this.

He turns to the group, ”Look, we’re already wealthy, and though I certainly plan on more of the same, I am not greedy. If all this just leads to treasure, then lets tuck it aside and move on. I have no wish to cross Sarenrae in search of loot.” turning back to Rayhan he asks, ”What has changed inside that worries you? I don’t understand any of this, and I’m growing quickly sick of the whole affair.” he looks quite frustrated, not learning anything he thought would be useful.


Statistical Representation of Character's Sunny Disposition:
Male Gnome Ex-Jester HP: 99, AC: 13(t 11, f13), F 13, R 4, W 16, Init 0, Perception 23, Low Light Vision
Rayhan wrote:
"The strange scroll holds within it the path to another place. A place of wonders and treasures..."

"Oooooooo, 'wonders'..." This prompts the gnome to re-ask Sarah, considering its central fixation of attention within his team.

...

GM Lareg:

Pent heads to the roof, again, and commences to burn incense, and begins his inquiry once more. Cast Divination

"Sarenrae, Sarah-Ray, Light of all things that walk the earth under Your watchful gaze. I am here, humbly, to ask a question of You. I do not ask this question lightly, but with Your light, I won't question Your answer."

"Now that others have interfered, and we've inferred a little more of the Scroll's dimensions, should we allow Rayhan to open Kakishon, and reveal the wonders that lie within? It sounds like there is trouble within it, and your faithful servant, Amiamble Piddlespot, is highly confused about what you want us to do."


Maps: Travel * Hut and more

Timeline what day does Pent go to the roof?

Pent:
What was secure has been broken. In wanton desire for death to supposed servants of the beast a key has been turned that cannot be unturned. Those who would have been kept out have found another way. Hope lies now in confronting greed beyond the shine. If you and yours would bring hope, not death, then walk beyond the shine.


Maps: Travel * Hut and more

Day 3

Aldebert Piddlespot wrote:


The next day (day three I think), he talks with his brother, "Let us discover, should Rayhan fail, where we can find some good Sarenrae worshippers to help us with this scroll. We could start with the church, but it might be better to gather what information can be had from the clerks in the government as well. They would know what other cities are substantive enough to have the sorts of men we seek."

Aldebert will spend the bulk of the day gathering information to that end. Namely looking for pockets of Sarenrae intelligencia or the like. Folks who are worshipers first, and scholars second. Someone who will bring their religious beliefs into the equation. It could well be a tough thing to find...

Gather information: 23
Gather information: 26

Aldebert:
The local church appears the same as it did before. The priestess that you and Ami met with before is nowhere to be found. Instead the grounds seem to be kept by a young acolyte. She informs you that the priestess left days ago, you estimate that it must have been shortly after your visit. The acolyte admits freely that being left so suddenly has left a gap in what resources she can offer. She suggest the distant Sleeping Dove community.

The clerks not only verify what the acolyte has shared, but freely share their frustrations. A lacking temple will impact pilgrims, which is bad for trade. "Is there anything you could do?"


Statistical Representation of Character's Sunny Disposition:
Male Gnome Ex-Jester HP: 99, AC: 13(t 11, f13), F 13, R 4, W 16, Init 0, Perception 23, Low Light Vision

Pent only considers the rooftop chitchat after Rayhan mentions 'wonders'. So, Day 4?

Pent gathers himself up, and bounds downstairs, collecting his team to make a 'pronouncement'. He's not interested in repeating himself, so he only calls it a 'pronouncement', until all are together, including Rayhan. The location of the conversation matters little. They could be in Rayhan's study, or in Rayhan's kitchen, depending on gurgling stomachs, and various party blood sugars.

"Well, we certainly have had our share of frustration, confusion, and effusion. We have uncovered the Scroll of Kakishon, within the House of the Beast, and we all seem to understand its gravity- it's pulled at our seams, it's pulled Rayhan away, it's pulled seekers into our orbit. At least we have them at bay, for now. Everyone, including ourselves, are interested in its possession, its protection, and its projection into our future." Pent stops, looking at each team member, making sure he's being followed, words being fuzzy things.

"The first time I spoke with Sarah regarding the Scroll, and asked Her clearly if we should pursue unlocking the Scroll. She answered by telling us it's a moot point, because within the time She could see, we would have to deal with rescuing Rayhan for the Jackal's interference. Not having Rayhan meant not having the means of understanding enough of the Scroll to make any headway in unlocking the Scroll." Pent looks at Aldebert and Ami, expecting some kind of objection, though he can't think of what. It just seems to be their nature to doubt, and to want corroboration elsewhere, and he can't fault them for their ways.

"Well, Rayhan is safely back, safe to act, which means we have the means to pursue unlocking the Scroll, now. So, it's no wonder that Sarah's response this time might be different, given time. When Rayhan mentioned wonders, I began to suspect that Kakishon was our fate. We're meant for wonders, all of us. So I leapt at the chance to trade words with Her. This time, I asked if we should allow Rayhan to open the Scroll, for what troubles may be occurring within it." Pent pauses, looking to Otah and Mahdi, before continuing.

"This is what Sarah had to Say- There are those seeking a way into Kakishon, who sought the Scroll from us. When 'they' failed to filch the Scroll from us, they found another way in. This speaks to Rayhan's pronouncement, that something has changed behind the Scroll's 'door'. She encouraged us. Encouraged. We are Her Hope. We must enter Kakishon, and remove the Greedy Within. I don't know if this will 'fix' the Scroll, but I do not want to disappoint Sarah, if She calls for Hope, and we can bring it to bear."

"Any questions?"


Stats:
HP 107/107;AC27; F 11,R 15,W 15; Init:9; Perc 20 (normal). Yeenoghu: 154/154; AC 37 (usually);F 14+5,R 15+5, W 6+5; Perc 8;Acro 18 (lowlight)

Day 4

Ami continues to guard the Scroll when Rayhan has it, race around the desert when he does not. Ami chooses not to buy anything for himself inside this city of evil (but will, of course, treat Yeen very well with suckling pigs and goats).

He tries to learn while he is with Rayhan, but is also happy to be quiet and think and dream of running in the sun with Yeen.


Maps: Travel * Hut and more

Day 4 seems to have been filled out. Feel free to fill in other stuff as desired.

The days that follow are much the same. Whether the party is in Rayhan's home or not they see little of him. He spends his days in his library. His notes and diagrams being enough for now, he makes no requests of the party or the item they hold.

Unless PCs approach Rayhan or request his attention through his servant they do not see him again until the week is up. Otah's shopping and what Aldebert learns during day three are the only other things outstanding at this point I think.


Stats:
HP 107/107;AC27; F 11,R 15,W 15; Init:9; Perc 20 (normal). Yeenoghu: 154/154; AC 37 (usually);F 14+5,R 15+5, W 6+5; Perc 8;Acro 18 (lowlight)

Ami's jaw fails to hold itself into a closed position as the gnome continues to speak. It quickly falls open and isn't able to close itself, a statement of disbelief.

Pent wrote:
"Any questions?"

"Are you lying?" Ami blurts out...the only question he has.

1d20 + 0 ⇒ (17) + 0 = 17 Sense Motive

* * *

Ami looks down at Yeen and tries to speak with Vardishal.

@Yeen/Vardishal:
"Vardishal? Are you there? Does this sound right? Is that possible?" Ami asks of his Magic Mold Saint Ghost.


Halfling (Per +19 | Fort +17 Ref +12 Will +15 | AC 26 (f25/t14) | CMD 29)

GM Lareg and Amiamble:
Aldebert looks at the acolyte and wonders, ”Do you have any idea why she left? I don’t know what I can do to help you, but I’ll see what can be done. Ours is a very religious group, so perhaps we can help in some way.” He calls to his brother, playing with a ball of something not too far away, ”Brother, let us ride back to the group!” Amiamble, Aldebert was talking to an acolyte of the Sarenrae church. We’re always together so I figure you were there, but maybe distracted.

As they ride back Aldebert says to his brother, ”The priest, the one who cries, ran off shortly after our visit. I wonder if perhaps she couldn’t take it. Anyway, the church is in a bad way, having no high priest to run things properly. Do you think there is something we could do to assist? Perhaps as a group?”
- - -

Aldebert listens to Pent’s proclamation and wonders what it portents. ”So what you’re saying is that the janni, or some other evil force, has maybe found a back way in? So us protecting the scroll all this time has been for naught?” Aldebert looks weary.

”And now we’re supposed to go in the scroll we’ve been told not to go in.” he looks uncomfortable, and tired. Shifting in his armor a little, it settles around him in a shrug. Ever the Abadarian, ”If we’re meant to go in, surely we can keep what wonders we find - right? Or do we leave everything as it is other than removing the evil?”


Stats:
HP 107/107;AC27; F 11,R 15,W 15; Init:9; Perc 20 (normal). Yeenoghu: 154/154; AC 37 (usually);F 14+5,R 15+5, W 6+5; Perc 8;Acro 18 (lowlight)

"Brother! You should see if the janni infests the gnome! You should look! Maybe it's him!" Ami asks his Brother, slowly edging away from the gnome. "Or maybe it's a changerdanger! You should check, Brother!"


Halfling (Per +19 | Fort +17 Ref +12 Will +15 | AC 26 (f25/t14) | CMD 29)
Amiamble Piddlespot wrote:
"Brother! You should see if the janni infests the gnome! You should look! Maybe it's him!" Ami asks his Brother, slowly edging away from the gnome. "Or maybe it's a changerdanger! You should check, Brother!"

"Oh brother, that's Pent. No one can talk like that but him, but if it allays your fears..." he looks at Pent and shrugs.

Aldebert will indeed check for evil but he doesn't single Pent out. He sweeps the whole room in case someone lies invisible or hidden nearby.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Statistical Representation of Character's Sunny Disposition:
Male Gnome Ex-Jester HP: 99, AC: 13(t 11, f13), F 13, R 4, W 16, Init 0, Perception 23, Low Light Vision
Aldebert wrote:
"So what you’re saying is that the janni, or some other evil force, has maybe found a back way in? So us protecting the scroll all this time has been for naught?”

"That's what it sounds like, to me, when I say those words, and try to understand that of which I know very little." Pent looks to Mahdi, hoping for some support, with what it possible or im-.

When Aldebert scans him for evil, Pent stands up, and turns around, pulling his robe up, exposing his bunghole. "Make sure you check real deep, Aldi. You need to know, why don't you get your nose a little closer. And if I offend, please know it's only in return for your offense. Call us even." The gnome continues to hold his bottom in the half's direction, until it appears the half is satisfies with his viewing. Can't be too careful.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Halfling (Per +19 | Fort +17 Ref +12 Will +15 | AC 26 (f25/t14) | CMD 29)

Aldebert looks on the love that is Pent. "Well there's evil there, but not evil if you know what I mean. I'm done Pent, you can re-robe."

He turns to his brother, "That's Pent. No doubt about it."


Dwarven Mobile Fighter 15 | HP: 168/168 | Init: +3 | Perc: +3 | SM: +1 | AC: 27(25) | Mobility: 31(29) | Touch: 16(14) | FF: 23(21) | CMD: 33 Res (fire) 30, Freedom of Movement | Fort: +14 | Ref: +9 | Will: 6 | +2 vs poisons, spells | +4 vs paralyze, slow, entangle

The dwarf will pick up a Ring of Sustenance if it's available, otherwise, I think he'll squirrel away the rest of his earnings for something more majestic later.

"At least now we have a reason to act." Otah chimes in, "Rather than sitting here waiting for all the janni and tomb-robbers to come at us."

He watches the escapade of the halfling's 'gnome-finding' with amusement. "How do we go root out these bastards?"


Statistical Representation of Character's Sunny Disposition:
Male Gnome Ex-Jester HP: 99, AC: 13(t 11, f13), F 13, R 4, W 16, Init 0, Perception 23, Low Light Vision

"We walk 'Beyond the Shine'. Those Greedy Within should be found around the Shine. Or behind it." Pent looks at Aldebert with a straight face. "And I'm not sure we have much time to wait, if there's movement afoot to secure whatever may be found Within. I'm thinking we may need to move, as soon as Rayhan indicates that he's able and willing to open it for us. Unless Mahdi knows how to do it himself? Who controls the door, once it's been opened? The opener, Rayhan, or the first through, being us?"


Maps: Travel * Hut and more

Ami:
You are overwhelmed with powerful feelings. The first sensation is that the spoken words, both Pent's and Rayhan's are possible. This feeling is quickly followed by a sense of urgency, if the possibility is indeed true... Something must be done. A vision of a storm nearly overwhelms you. Silhouettes are pulled into the storm as the power of the vision overwhelms you. One of the shapes seems familiar to you. But not you, to the voice. It is as if you have seen Vardishal's own memory of others pulled into a storm. And at last you hear a faint whisper, "The storm came from the scroll."

Aldebert / Ami:
The acolyte frowns sadly, "She said that she was in mourning. I heard recently that a body was brought before her. The remains of family I suppose. He was killed they say by an animal in the desert. Mind you, this is not what the priestess told me. It is what I heard. Pausing to think over the offer of help. I do not know of anyway that the travel of another priest could be sped up. A summons was sent as soon as she made her intention clear."

Detect evil:
You are surprised that a fading shadow of evil surrounds Yeen. It's as if the evil, one that is not complete, had reached out to Ami. But not Yeen. Something else. The shadow fades, like cloud. It is complex. Much to complex for an animal. An echo of something.

Easily obtained Otah.


Halfling (Per +19 | Fort +17 Ref +12 Will +15 | AC 26 (f25/t14) | CMD 29)

Amiamble and GM Lareg:
Acolyte wrote:
The acolyte frowns sadly, "She said that she was in mourning. I heard recently that a body was brought before her. The remains of family I suppose. He was killed they say by an animal in the desert. Mind you, this is not what the priestess told me. It is what I heard. Pausing to think over the offer of help. I do not know of anyway that the travel of another priest could be sped up. A summons was sent as soon as she made her intention clear."

Aldebert shakes his head, "I understand mourning, but that should not get in the way of ones responsibilities. Still, if something should come up before her relief arrives, please don't hesitate to call upon us."

- - -

As Aldebert scans for evil his eyes rest on Yeen. He quickly draws his sword from his scabbard, and reaches out with his free hand to see if he can feel the evil cloud his eyes just percieved.

"Something is wrong with Yeen." Aldebert blurts out. "Or rather something was wrong around Yeen. It was reaching out to you brother. But it seems to have faded - quickly. It was like an echo of some greater evil perhaps."

He turns to the others, "Something is definitely wrong here, but I don't know what. We should be careful that we don't jump to conclusions or rash, hasty decisions. Let's think carefully."


Stats:
HP 107/107;AC27; F 11,R 15,W 15; Init:9; Perc 20 (normal). Yeenoghu: 154/154; AC 37 (usually);F 14+5,R 15+5, W 6+5; Perc 8;Acro 18 (lowlight)
Otah Cragsmith wrote:
"At least now we have a reason to act." Otah chimes in, "Rather than sitting here waiting for all the janni and tomb-robbers to come at us."

It takes Ami a bit of time to switch his brain around from 'protecting the scroll' to 'walking beyond the Shine', but once he does, he seems eager to do it. His enthusiasm is tempered when Aldebert suggests something might be wrong with Yeen...and the strange things that Vardishal is saying/thinking.

"'The storm came from the Scroll,'" Ami repeats, hearing a voice related from Yeen. "THE STORM CAME FROM THE SCROLL!!" Ami says louder, looking at Mahdi and Rayhan. "What does that mean? Yeen and Vardishal or both or neither have been in storm! And a voice says that to me! What does that mean!?"

1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13 Know (Planes)
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (5) + 10 = 15 Know (Religion)

* * *

Retro @ Priestess Who Cries Then Flies:
Ami stares at the acolyte in horror.

"What do you mean 'she left'? How? Why? What kind of priestess cries, then leaves her flock? What!?" Ami and Yeen circle in agitation, another complication in his mind of worry. "Priestesses aren't supposed to cry. And they aren't supposed to fly away."

Ami and Yeen circle again, facing the acolyte.

"Which way did she go? Where?" Ami asks hopefully, seeking to run her down and bring her back. "Brother, we should find her and bring her back."


Statistical Representation of Character's Sunny Disposition:
Male Gnome Ex-Jester HP: 99, AC: 13(t 11, f13), F 13, R 4, W 16, Init 0, Perception 23, Low Light Vision

Pent listens to Aldebert indicate evil on Yeen, then hears Amiamble gargle enigmatics. He looks at Otah, and shrugs, before turning to the fire mage. "Yeah, Mahdi. We're all ears."


Maps: Travel * Hut and more

Knowledge (planes) <20:
Maybe when planes connect it might look like a storm. You're really not sure.

Knowledge (planes) >20:
If two planes were to connect in a very powerful way it could very well resemble a storm. Accept instead of blowing things away.. It could suck things in.

Retro @ Priestess Who Cries Then Flies:
The acolyte looks confused, "She didn't fly. She rode with a caravan to Sleeping Dove. I believe she plans to perform devotionals during her mourning. The acolyte tries to speak calmly, but is clearly disturbed by Ami's insistence that the priestess somehow remain. It would be inhuman to expect anyone to endure sadness and grief, to neglect their own well being. And besides, to try and serve others without caring for yourself would be risking danger to all."


CN Human Wizard 14 | Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +11; (+1 vs. fire) | AC 15 - CMD 17 | P +18, Init +10 | HP 87/94 | 12/12 jets remaining | Current buffs: Mage Armor, Overland Flight, Life Bubble, See Invisibility, Locate Creature (Hazim), Prot from fire 120 pts

Take 10 on Kn Planes

Mahdi listens broodingly to Rayhan's words and then the arguing, rubbing at his temples. And ignoring Pent's ass-ets entirely.

"If our plane and the plane of Kakishon touched, it could well resemble a storm. Those sort of planar energies might form a vortex-- that could suck things in, from our world, to Kakishon," he says tersely.

"We have wasted more than enough time. I cannot activate the scroll myself, but if our enemy is within the land that the scroll hides, then let us take the battle to him."

(Will have some purchases later today, sorry, busy weekend)


Halfling (Per +19 | Fort +17 Ref +12 Will +15 | AC 26 (f25/t14) | CMD 29)

GM Lareg and Amiamble:
Amiamble wrote:
”Which way did she go? Where?” Ami asks hopefully, seeking to run her down and bring her back. “Brother, we should find her and bring her back.”

”No brother, we have other duties, and by the time we should find her and return, her replacement should have arrived making the whole exercise moot. What’s done is done.” he says, though he does not look particularly pleased at the high priests failing. He hopes that he shall not fail his church in the same way, and resolves not to.

Acolyte wrote:
The acolyte looks confused, “She didn't fly. She rode with a caravan to Sleeping Dove. I believe she plans to perform devotionals during her mourning.” The acolyte tries to speak calmly, but is clearly disturbed by Ami's insistence that the priestess somehow remain. ”It would be inhuman to expect anyone to endure sadness and grief, to neglect their own well being. And besides, to try and serve others without caring for yourself would be risking danger to all.”

”I believe my brother was just pointing out she should have tried to carry on at least until help arrived rather than leaving the church without a leader. True, one must take time for sadness and grief, but one has responsibilities too and sometimes those must come first.”

”Still, do call on us if we can be of assistance.” Aldebert tries to extricate himself from the continually needy church of Sarenrae.
- - -

Mahdi al-Jabira wrote:
"We have wasted more than enough time. I cannot activate the scroll myself, but if our enemy is within the land that the scroll hides, then let us take the battle to him."

We have moved as fast as Rayhan was capable. We have not wasted time… Aldebert thinks to himself, but says nothing, not wanting to cross the fiery wizard. It seems the group is on the threshold of another delve, and one into a strange place that may have few amenities.

”We do not know what we shall face in there, nor how long we shall be. I suggest we fill our bag of holding with food and supplies for an extended journey just in case we cannot find food within. Pent, I presume you can create all the water we need? Er, from the graces of Sarenrae, not from your own bodily functions?” he adds quickly.

He wonders what he may need while down there and checks his purse. His shopping will be easy he thinks. ”I’ll arrange for food and other menial supplies. Mahdi, may I borrow the bag for the day as I shop?”

GM Lareg - OK if we hand wave this stuff? I'll throw 100gp at various things like tents, food, some wine and beer, simple tools, etc. Nothing that'll effect combat, but I want to be able to say we're relatively comfortable in between and won't starve to death. :)

GM Lareg:
There’s a spell I’m looking at for next level, but need your approval. I’m looking at Bed of Iron (link) which basically lets me sleep in my armor when on a mission. I still plan to buy some chain, when I have the cash, for sleeping sometimes, but I also want to be able to sleep in the heavy stuff when I’m worried. ;) Anyway, let me know if it’s OK. Thanks!
- - -

6,901 to 6,950 of 10,988 << first < prev | 134 | 135 | 136 | 137 | 138 | 139 | 140 | 141 | 142 | 143 | 144 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Rat Sass's Legacy of Fire - Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.