GM Rat Sass's Legacy of Fire

Game Master GM Rat Sass

Part 6 - The Final Wish
Roll20 Link
Treasure Log
New Map of Kelmarane


6,051 to 6,100 of 10,748 << first < prev | 117 | 118 | 119 | 120 | 121 | 122 | 123 | 124 | 125 | 126 | 127 | next > last >>

Maps: Winterthrone -Travel

Seeing signs of cooperation several guards dismount and begin to examine the surroundings, two of whom enter the villa.


Halfling (Per +18 | Fort +17 Ref +11 Will +15 | AC 26 (f25/t14) | CMD 28)

Aldebert sheaths his sword when the soldiers arrive. He nods back to the woman in green and smiles.

”These men, and other unholy evils, have invaded Rayhan’s home. He may yet be upstairs, but I do not know what condition he may be in. We should check his health quickly. Also there is something unwholesome in the stables, though we have killed it it was working with these few.”

He does not move from his spot however, waiting for the priestess to issue her own commands.


Stats:
HP 107/107;AC27; F 11,R 15,W 15; Init:9; Perc 20 (normal). Yeenoghu: 154/154; AC 37 (usually);F 14+5,R 15+5, W 6+5; Perc 8;Acro 18 (lowlight)

Ami nods in agreement, pausing for a moment, before skating upstairs to check on Rayhan.

"I'll check brother!" Ami says as he moves upstairs. "Explain to the nice lady how Abadar favors you in business!"

Ami will check on Rayhan, healing as necessary.


Dwarven Mobile Fighter 12 | HP: 130/130 | Init: +3 | Perc: +2 | SM: +1 | AC: 27 | Mobility: 31 | Touch: 16 | FF: 21 | CMD: 31 Res (fire) 30 | Fort: +13 | Ref: +8 | Will: 5 | +2 vs poisons, spells | +4 vs paralyze, slow, entangle

Otah lowers his warhammer as the cleric announces herself. "Who are the Pactmasters?" he asks Aldebert as the halfling finishes announcing what has happened.


CN Human Wizard 14 | Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +11; (+1 vs. fire) | AC 15 - CMD 17 | P +18, Init +10 | HP 87/94 | 12/12 jets remaining | Current buffs: Mage Armor, Overland Flight, Life Bubble, See Invisibility, Locate Creature (Hazim), Prot from fire 120 pts

Mahdi had no weapon drawn, but he raises his hands and nods along with Aldebert's words.

"It is as our own servant of Abadar says: we did not start this, and we came believing Master Rayhan threatened. I beg of you to find him at once if you will not let us search ourselves, for I believe these men may have badly injured him, if not killed him outright."

At Otah's question, he says, "The Pactmasters are the ruling authority of Katapesh-- guild lords beyond dispute. Our own lady Almah was tasked by the Pactmasters with the initial sortie to clear out Kelmarene."

Mahdi considers that worth bringing up, as well, so he adds it in a loud voice to the new arrivals: "We are retainers of Lady Almah Roveshki, and arrived in the city under the guidance of another of her retainers, a man called Garavel. I believe he is known to be another servant of the Pactmasters," Mahdi says.

"The Pactmasters, praise to their wisdom, charged Lady Almah with the recovery of the town called Kelmarene, lost to desert gnolls. We assisted her with that task, returning Kelmarene to a place of trade and profit, from which coin flows to Katapesh, and were on the further business of Lady Almah, here."

(Mahdi is basing Garavel's likely Pactmaster service on the sight of his belt buckle, here. Waaaay long time ago, heh. But all the things about Lady Almah are also true, to the best of Mahdi's knowledge.)


Maps: Winterthrone -Travel

Ami makes it no further than a few steps as the guards quickly move to block him. Moments later one of the guards that entered the villa returns and hands Kazim a bit of paper whispering as he does so.

"Your fear seems confirmed. A ransom note of sorts was found concerning Rayhan in the library. As for what has occurred there seems to be something of a dispute. Several of the injured men inside claim they were savagely attacked. A claim, which I am afraid is substantiated by the remains near this window.

Kazim points toward where the panicked thug that paid with his life. She nods at Mahdi's explanation.

I cannot claim to know what has occurred here, but all of you seem unharmed. How did such violence become necessary?"

Quick update here. Will post copy of the note once I'm on my laptop.


Halfling (Per +18 | Fort +17 Ref +11 Will +15 | AC 26 (f25/t14) | CMD 28)

"Check the stables, in it you'll find a most unwholesome creature. When we found it, we knew there was trouble - and not of the nicest sorts. And there were a few injures, but nothing significant as you say." he points to a boo-boo on his elbow (I did take some damage, nothing of note though)

"We are very good at what we do."

"But you said Rayhan was ransomed? Is he not here? He did not leave by the door or window. I do not understand?" he looks quite perplexed.


Maps: Winterthrone -Travel

"There does seem to be an underlying mystery here. I wish we had known of the trouble sooner then we could focus all our energies on this mystery rather than having to sort out the truth of what happened. Kazim shares the note that was found, looking skeptically as Aldebert as she does so for the briefest of moments, forgetting herself for but a moment.

Note:
Your friend is now my guest in my lair. If you would see him alive again, you will agree to my price. I want the Scroll of Kakishon—you would surely agree that a life is more than fair a trade for such a treasure, yes? Place the scroll in a box, weight the box with stones, place a light spell on the box, and throw the box into the sea from Rayhan’s villa tomorrow at sunset. When I have the map, your friend will be returned unharmed. If I do not receive the map by sunset, your friend’s blood is on your hands—. Father Jackal

It is clear from the carnage here that a particular member of your party was responsible. What I don't understand is why such actions were permitted. She pauses as another guard returns from inside the villa. At this point other guards have gone in and are escorting those who can walk out of the villa. None are resisting and wait in place where the guards place them. The few who cannot walk are laid gently on the ground. Kazim surveys the scene as she considers her words.

The burned men moan, others nurse partially healed wounds, and over the sight lingers the stench of a man who was savagely shredded by Yeen's powerful claws.

What exactly did Lady Almah charge you with? This she motions at the surviving men. this cannot be what she tasked you do, regardless of how good you are at what you do."

Diplomacy rolls highly encouraged.


Statistical Representation of Character's Sunny Disposition:
Male Gnome Ex-Jester HP: 99, AC: 13(t 11, f13), F 13, R 4, W 16, Init 0, Perception 23, Low Light Vision

Pent steps from the villa, rinsing his hands of the blood he recently patted with freshly-created waters. "Kazim, is it? Pleased to meet your acquaintance. I hope you and the Pactmasters can find it in their reasoned judgment to forgive Aldebert and Amiamble. They can be overly aggressive sometimes, but they were provoked by a crossbow bolt which was let loose on us the moment we entered to investigate the presence of strange wanderers to Rayhan's villa. In light of recent events, we thought it wise to return and challenge the new arrivals, as we are the ones in possession of a very strong item, not Rayhan. Rayhan has been helping us, and I fear it might have made him a target." The gnome points to the note.

"We are all colleagues of Almah, but have been given dispensations to see to matters as we see fit, when we're out and about. There has been great bloodshed in our travels, and the men here tonight could have just as easily tried to bodily prevent us from seeing to Rayhan, instead of attacking us on first sight."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27


Stats:
HP 107/107;AC27; F 11,R 15,W 15; Init:9; Perc 20 (normal). Yeenoghu: 154/154; AC 37 (usually);F 14+5,R 15+5, W 6+5; Perc 8;Acro 18 (lowlight)
Abaran wrote:
"What I don't understand is why such actions were permitted."

Ami huffs and glares at the woman, going up to speak with Aldebert.

"What does she mean, Brother? They attacked Yeen first. Yeen only responded. Tell them that, Brother. We did nothing wrong. These servants of the Rough Beast should be given the sword or redemption," Ami hisses when he gets close to Aldebert.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Halfling (Per +18 | Fort +17 Ref +11 Will +15 | AC 26 (f25/t14) | CMD 28)

"Though you may not have heard him, what my brother says is right. That man there," he points to a corpse, "Foolishly lashed out at Yeen, he's the great cat." he points again.

"These others I attacked, though Pent here made some effort to revive them and keep them from death. Good man."

Diplomacy, aid another Pent or my own, whichever you prefer: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23

"On my honor as a paladin of Abadar, that is what happened. These men started the fracas, and as you can see from the note, had evil intent here. We were coming to the aid of Rayhan, nothing more, nothing less."

"After the fight in the stables, I may have been a little over-exhubrant, but Mahdi here brought me to my senses and my subsequent attacks were with the flat of my blade or there would be more injured, and maybe more dead."

"I do not suffer evil gladly." he points out.


Maps: Winterthrone -Travel

Kazoo splits her attention between Pent and another guard who seems be relaying some word from the subdued individuals.

"I hope you understand sir gnome that whatever dispensation Lady Almah may have granted you when you're out and about will not protect you under the laws of this city. It is also clear from what I have seen here that all those involved have violated laws, that at the least will require further investigation. Those whom you claim to have apprehended say they were hired by Rayhan himself, who as seems justified by the note in question, was concerned about his well being. As only he himself could confirm either party's story I am afraid the matter will have to be brought to the authorities. I hope all of you understand. She scans the group, making eye contact with everyone. That you will need to stay near the city to participate in legal proceedings once they commence. Something of this nature shouldn't take more than a few days to make it before the Pactmasters. Meanwhile word will be sent to Lady Almah to gather the specifics of her instructions to you. She signals the guards who gathering the men outside the villa perimeter. Wait for me outside. I will join you as soon as the wagon arrives. With nods of acknowledgment the guards leave her side.

She approaches the group more closely, relaxing a bit.

Let me be frank, there are several other matters we must discuss. Know that I although am here on both the authority of the church and that of the Pactmasters, that I bring word of their displeasure, I do not necessarily share their judgments. All involved have been troubled recently by your arrival in our city. They had hoped your claim was false, or that if it were true, you would conduct your business swiftly and be gone. The traffic of powerful artifacts is welcome in Katapesh, but it also causes the worst of men’s natures to rise. What we have seen here tonight is proof of that.

"While the city respects the value of an individual’s property, and theft violates the highest laws of the land, inciting riots and disrupting trade is equally offensive to our codes, and you currently walk a thine line in that regard.

Know that several parties have come to the Pactmasters and demanded that the city force you to relinquish control of the Scroll of Kakishon to the highest bidder. Specifically, the One Source Merchants’ Guild is threatening a trade embargo if they are not allowed the opportunity to bid for the map. Though you are the rightful owner and cannot be forced to sell, they therefore ask you to choose a buyer within the next day or else leave the city. It is one thing to hold out on a trade for the best price, but another to hold out so long that our merchants lose sight of their civility.

You have but one other option. If you can find out who perpetrated this crime against you and the master of this house, and if you can bring me proof that the situation has been resolved before the time limit elapses, both the church and the Pactmasters will be appreciative of your efforts and turn deaf ears to the complaints of a few jealous merchants. Lastly, there is the matter of the feline. I'm afraid that the death here is enough evidence to implicate the animal in another death that has been brought before the Pactmasters by the priestess of the Dawnflower's temple. This matter too, will have to be addressed.


Stats:
HP 107/107;AC27; F 11,R 15,W 15; Init:9; Perc 20 (normal). Yeenoghu: 154/154; AC 37 (usually);F 14+5,R 15+5, W 6+5; Perc 8;Acro 18 (lowlight)
Abaran wrote:
"...blaming the victims talk..."

Ami stares at the woman she explains every thought contrary to good law and basic morality.

"What does she mean, Brother? She is blaming us for the actions of others!?! Tell her to tell the Pactmasters that the scroll isn't for sale, and has never been for sale. If they want good law and safe selling in their town, they should punish those who steal, and threaten, and rob, and kidnap," Ami hisses again at Aldebert.

"We will not be selling the scroll, ever. And we should be leaving this foul city that is full of crazy. We should go far away."


Halfling (Per +18 | Fort +17 Ref +11 Will +15 | AC 26 (f25/t14) | CMD 28)

Aldebert listens and cannot, with some frequency, believe what he's hearing. This is not Abadar! he nearly blurts out at several times during their dressing down.

He keeps his tongue though. He knows that while the Pactmasters are usually fair, they are always in charge and their word is inviolable. If we fall on the wrong side of them, we'll never be allowed to return.

"Hush a moment Ami. We'll not leave while Rayhan is threatened with death by cowards."

He turns to the lady in green, "My dear woman you are wrong on many points, but in the end we agree on our task at hand and that, for now, is all that is important." he says firmly.

"We shall rescue Rayhan, not because the Pactmasters require it, but rather because Rayhan has done nothing wrong here. He is an innocent and in need of our aid."

"I presume then we are free to go? We would investigate this house further before we leave, if that is OK. We need to hunt for clues on where they may be holding Rayhan. We must be allowed to search his rooms. Your men may of course observe and ensure we take nothing if you wish."


Maps: Winterthrone -Travel

"I am doing my best to offer a helping hand within the bounds I am tasked to follow. You must understand that. I hope for you and your friends sake I am as wrong as you think I am. Clearly, you are versed in the ways of diplomacy. She looks at Pent and then Aldebert It would be wise if you encourage your brother to keep his thoughts to himself. If the interested parties we're to hear his decision I fear not even the Pactmasters could keep the peace." She nods slightly and then departs.


Halfling (Per +18 | Fort +17 Ref +11 Will +15 | AC 26 (f25/t14) | CMD 28)

Aldebert nods back, and proceeds to head upstairs to search the chamber where the note was found.

He'll take-20 (search: 30) to look for clues.


Maps: Winterthrone -Travel

The library reveals signs of struggle. Otah notes that he only encountered an individual in the stairway.

Detect Magic @ Library:
There are signs of a magic aura, but it is weak either from time since the spell was used or power of the spell. It will take some time and concentration to learn more. (roll please)

Outside during Aldebert's search:
The wagon arrives and the men are loaded on board. An individual wearing a robe enters and spends several moments concentrating on the remains near the window.


Maps: Winterthrone -Travel

Detect Magic & Three rounds:
There are two auras of faint and moderate power. The faint aura is quickly fading while the moderate is less so.

Knowledge (arcana) > 15:
This aura was of a enchantment spell of some kind.

Knowledge (arcana) > 18:
This aura was of a conjuration spell of some kind.


CN Human Wizard 14 | Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +11; (+1 vs. fire) | AC 15 - CMD 17 | P +18, Init +10 | HP 87/94 | 12/12 jets remaining | Current buffs: Mage Armor, Overland Flight, Life Bubble, See Invisibility, Locate Creature (Hazim), Prot from fire 120 pts

Mahdi says nothing further as the Pactmaster's decision is pronounced, though he does glare a bit at Amiamble's continued ability to ire the folks in charge.

Shaking his head, Mahdi stalks about, hunting auras-- and finding some.

Taking 10 on the Kn arcana for 25.

Mahdi frowns unhappily at the auras he can catch the trail ends of.

"Enchantment, and conjuration," he says, tugging on a lock of his dark, curly hair that has slipped out from under the keffiyeh.

"Teleportation spells are conjurations, in effect. If they magicked him away, that would explain that one. The enchantment might have been something to keep him from resisting, like a charm spell."

Mahdi rubs at his forehead. "It will be very hard to find a man who's been whisked away by magic. Yeen cannot track that. I might be able to engage scrying magic to find him, but if our enemies have any sort of brains, then he would be hidden from that as well.. and in any case, it would take coin that I do not have."

He looks to the others, glum and grumpy, his earlier anger faded for the moment. "Well, the day continues to get better. One wonders if we'll have moved on to angering the gods directly by nightfall. And by 'we' I mean Amiamble."


Halfling (Per +18 | Fort +17 Ref +11 Will +15 | AC 26 (f25/t14) | CMD 28)

Aldebert agrees with Mahdi, in as much as our troubles, but less so the cause. He's angry that their opponents always seem to know everything about them and what they carry. And that their enemies are so numerous.

He shrugs, "I honestly have no idea what to do. Even if you were able to scry him, all you'd see is him right? So we'd know he was in a room somewhere. Doesn't sound like that will help us much, unless there are magics that might help us more."

He sighs, "But as you say, they'll have him protected from the most basic methods. We'll have to be smarter than them."

He scratches his chin, "So what next? Perhaps we should try the church and a Commune spell. It'll be expensive, but we can get some answers and maybe that will lead to a lead. I don't know what to ask though. They're just yes/no answers, so it's tough."

He looks to the others for any suggestions, hoping they're better than his meager offering.


Maps: Winterthrone -Travel

Pent:
Father Jackal is a name you recall hearing among the slavers.

Knowledge (local)>14:
Father Jackal is a minor but well-known slaver and merchant who operates at times in the Nightstalls.


Stats:
HP 107/107;AC27; F 11,R 15,W 15; Init:9; Perc 20 (normal). Yeenoghu: 154/154; AC 37 (usually);F 14+5,R 15+5, W 6+5; Perc 8;Acro 18 (lowlight)

While others concentrate on the inside, Ami and Yeen will snuffle and sniffle their way around the villa to see if they can pick up on anything unusual.

1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24 Survival (Ami)
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16 Survival (Yeen w/scent)

In his head, he dwells on the craziness of the situation and this city. Mostly, he wants to leave and never come back...and if he had scroll now, he would deeply consider going back to see Haleenie and see if she could help him.

But that isn't to be, is it Yeen?


Maps: Winterthrone -Travel

Other than a stray rodent to chase Yeen finds nothing more than the wagon trail.


Statistical Representation of Character's Sunny Disposition:
Male Gnome Ex-Jester HP: 99, AC: 13(t 11, f13), F 13, R 4, W 16, Init 0, Perception 23, Low Light Vision
Kazoo wrote:
"Meanwhile word will be sent to Lady Almah to gather the specifics of her instructions to you."

Pent shakes his head fervently. "You are misconstruing my description of Almah and her support of us. She's given us Rayhan's name for consultation, and his location, and her protection with Garavel's minions, nothing more, nothing less. She didn't tell Aldebert to swing his sword whenever he felt like it, and he didn't tell Amiamble to tell Yeen to rip out throats whenever they felt like it." The gnome looks the woman up and down.

His eyes glaze over as the cleric of Abadar rambles on about merchants and civilization's fragility. Mouth gapes, saliva begins a molasses-like descent. Pent manages to loll his head towards Aldebert, expecting Abudarian to speak to Abudaria.

Aldebert wrote:
"My dear woman you are wrong on many points, but in the end we agree on our task at hand and that, for now, is all that is important."

Pent flinches as the half loses his cool, and screws the pooch of polite turns of phrase. Remind myself to speak to that one about telling a woman she's wrong to her face.

As Mahdi and Aldebert begin to suss out the difficulty of tracking the trackless. When he reviews the note, his mind wanders over the signer's name.

"Jackal's got a reputation among the slavers in the Slaver's Block. We can always start there, and begin our search somewhere not here. Kazim is encouraging us to 'resolve the situation'. Aldebert, I'm going to assume she means she'd like you to free Rayhan and bring her the Jackal's head, right? You know your god better than I."

The gnome scratches himself. "The Night Stalls. We can start there."

"Or, you know, we could toss the Scroll. Do as the note suggests. It'll save Rayhan's life, possibly. Wait, no. Then the Jackal will have both. The lock which is the Scroll, and the key, which is Rayhan. Unless he doesn't understand that Rayhan is key to unlock the Scroll... or we could watch them pick up an empty box, and follow it wherever they'd want it to go..."


Stats:
HP 107/107;AC27; F 11,R 15,W 15; Init:9; Perc 20 (normal). Yeenoghu: 154/154; AC 37 (usually);F 14+5,R 15+5, W 6+5; Perc 8;Acro 18 (lowlight)

Ami and Yeen return to speak to Aldebert.

"Brother, is it possible that woman is not of the true Abadarian path? Is she not suggesting that we become vigilantes to rescue Rayhan rather than taking the issue to the authorities? Why does she not stand by the law in her own city? I do not trust her," Ami says to his brother, his thoughts more coalesced after his night searching.

"Well, it is late now, we should rest and do what Mr. Gnome suggests tomorrow," Ami says. In theory, it's 9pmish or so...we were kicked out by 7pm. I think.


Maps: Winterthrone -Travel

Yep, getting to be night time. Villa is easy enough to clean up for sleeping. Outer gates can be locked, but the front door would need some fixing.


Halfling (Per +18 | Fort +17 Ref +11 Will +15 | AC 26 (f25/t14) | CMD 28)
Pent Arotha wrote:

"Jackal's got a reputation among the slavers in the Slaver's Block. We can always start there, and begin our search somewhere not here. Kazim is encouraging us to 'resolve the situation'. Aldebert, I'm going to assume she means she'd like you to free Rayhan and bring her the Jackal's head, right? You know your god better than I."

The gnome scratches himself. "The Night Stalls. We can start there."

Amiamble Piddlespot wrote:

"Brother, is it possible that woman is not of the true Abadarian path? Is she not suggesting that we become vigilantes to rescue Rayhan rather than taking the issue to the authorities? Why does she not stand by the law in her own city? I do not trust her," Ami says to his brother, his thoughts more coalesced after his night searching.

"Well, it is late now, we should rest and do what Mr. Gnome suggests tomorrow," Ami says. In theory, it's 9pmish or so...we were kicked out by 7pm. I think.

"Yes, she means for us to save Rayhan, and independently. Yes, it is strange, but I'll not condemn her - she herself said she is acting on orders from the Pactmasters. If Almah so ordered it, I would be required to do it as well. Orders are meant to be followed, in almost every case. In this she is empowering us, loosely, as agents of the government. At least that's how I chose to see it."

"So while this is odd, I do not think it's egregious. Is that the right word Mahdi?" He shrugs and stretches.

"But we do not wait. We have but little time to find Rayhan, and we have a lead among slavers. I would guess that the Night Stalls are more active now, in the evening, then they will be at dawn. Let us not tarry, but instead let us investigate this lead now and see where it goes."

"We can always break off the search and rest if we must, or if needs allow. Remember Rayhan is dead if we don't find him, and find him quickly. I do not want that on my conscience."


Stats:
HP 107/107;AC27; F 11,R 15,W 15; Init:9; Perc 20 (normal). Yeenoghu: 154/154; AC 37 (usually);F 14+5,R 15+5, W 6+5; Perc 8;Acro 18 (lowlight)
Aldebert Piddlespot wrote:
"We can always break off the search and rest if we must, or if needs allow. Remember Rayhan is dead if we don't find him, and find him quickly. I do not want that on my conscience."

While Ami admires his brother's conscience, Ami does not feel the same way.

"Brother, this is not your fault nor your doing. And while I do not think this is the case, it is possible that Rayhan is faking all of this. Mahdi mentioned magics, the exact kind of magics that Rayhan is capable of doing. Also, it happened very quickly, so quickly...as soon as we left, he was 'attacked'," Ami makes the air quote gesture. "Rayhan has friends who are Pactmasters, yes? Then he sends or pays one of them to come drive us crazy by pretending to care about law, but she doesn't. And how come we were not allowed to interrogate the men? Why were they taken away? This is all very worrysome. I think we should leave the city, we should. And never come back."

Ami nods at himself, thinking that he made a lot of really good points.


Halfling (Per +18 | Fort +17 Ref +11 Will +15 | AC 26 (f25/t14) | CMD 28)
Amiamble Piddlespot wrote:
"Brother, this is not your fault nor your doing. And while I do not think this is the case, it is possible that Rayhan is faking all of this. Mahdi mentioned magics, the exact kind of magics that Rayhan is capable of doing. Also, it happened very quickly, so quickly...as soon as we left, he was 'attacked'," Ami makes the air quote gesture. "Rayhan has friends who are Pactmasters, yes? Then he sends or pays one of them to come drive us crazy by pretending to care about law, but she doesn't. And how come we were not allowed to interrogate the men? Why were they taken away? This is all very worrysome. I think we should leave the city, we should. And never come back."

Aldebert thinks a moment before replying, "Well I suppose that is a possibility Ami. But why would Rayhan do it? What is his plan? That's what I cannot fathom."

"If he did it himself, I want to know why, which means we look for him either way." he drifts off, not really making the argument well.

He turns and looks at his brother focusing again, "No, we can't leave the city yet. There's a good chance that Rayhan was kidnapped by those who have been watching us and who greedily want the scroll. The city has, more or less, asked us to look into it, and so we shall."


Maps: Winterthrone -Travel

Group consensus on checking out the night stalls?


Statistical Representation of Character's Sunny Disposition:
Male Gnome Ex-Jester HP: 99, AC: 13(t 11, f13), F 13, R 4, W 16, Init 0, Perception 23, Low Light Vision

Pent takes a little time searching Rayhan's villa for the Gem of Seeing, imagining its worth as the group considers visiting the Night Stalls this very evening. He concentrates his search in Rayhan's personal quarters.

Perception: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (16) + 17 = 33

Whether or not they find it, Pent is ready to tackle the nocturnal underbelly of Katapesh immediately.


Maps: Winterthrone -Travel

In the library covered by a pile of books, apparently knocked over in the struggle is a small pouch. Whoever was involved in Rayhan's abduction was clearly not looking for valuables. The pouch contains not only the gem of seeing, but five pearls likely work a fair amount of gold each.

Assuming the departure to the night stalls. How does the group approach the area? I've posted a bit below, but don't want to assume specifics of the approach.

The tent area seems to be just as crowded as it was during the day, but many of the buildings have been locked for the night. A few of the tents look the same, but most are clearly merchants that operate during the night only.


Stats:
HP 107/107;AC27; F 11,R 15,W 15; Init:9; Perc 20 (normal). Yeenoghu: 154/154; AC 37 (usually);F 14+5,R 15+5, W 6+5; Perc 8;Acro 18 (lowlight)
GM Lareg wrote:
In the library covered by a pile of books, apparently knocked over in the struggle is a small pouch. Whoever was involved in Rayhan's abduction was clearly not looking for valuables. The pouch contains not only the gem of seeing, but five pearls likely work a fair amount of gold each.

Hmm...facts against the 'Rayhand is totally in on it!' theory. Damn. Ami is disappointed to be wrong, but still untrusting of the man.

Ami is ready to follow his brother to the Night Stalls, eager to find Rayhan so that they can leave the city.


Maps: Winterthrone -Travel

Planted I say. An elaborate plan to first offer the PCs help and then turn on them suddenly and unprovoked...


CN Human Wizard 14 | Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +11; (+1 vs. fire) | AC 15 - CMD 17 | P +18, Init +10 | HP 87/94 | 12/12 jets remaining | Current buffs: Mage Armor, Overland Flight, Life Bubble, See Invisibility, Locate Creature (Hazim), Prot from fire 120 pts

"Rayhan offered us nothing but hospitality until we rejected his guidance," Mahdi says flatly. He tags along with Pent, groans as he sees the discover of the gem, and makes sure those are safely tucked away.

He only shrugs at Aldebert's query as to whether or not the actions of the Pactmaster's servant are fair or just.

"That is more your department than mine. If I had been in her shoes and come across a group present at the site of the abduction of a valued member of the community, I imagine I would simply throw everyone in jail. One could argue she's being quite generous," he says with a grumpy wave of one hand. Mahdi rubs at his forehead with one hand.

"Let us go the Night Stalls, then."


Maps: Winterthrone -Travel

The tent area seems to be just as crowded as it was during the day, but many of the buildings have been locked for the night. A few of the tents look the same, but most are clearly merchants that operate during the night only.

Perception:
Mahdi: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4 (normal)
Aldebert: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (17) + 9 = 26
Pent: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (10) + 17 = 27 (low-light)
Amiamble: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26 (normal)
Yeenoghu: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15 (low-light)
Otah: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10 (darkvision)

Perception>25:
It looks as if on of the group that you encountered just a mere hour ago has been released. He hasn't seen you yet and appears to be heading into the assemblage of tents.


Halfling (Per +18 | Fort +17 Ref +11 Will +15 | AC 26 (f25/t14) | CMD 28)

Aldebert whispers to his companions, "Hey look there, that was one of the imprisoned from Rayhan's already free again. Somethings up, let's follow him."

Mahdi's right, why were we not imprisoned? Why were those that were, released so quickly? Something is rotten in this town.


Maps: Winterthrone -Travel

As the group focuses on the individual Aldebert has pointed out it is clear that he is by himself. Winding his way through the maze of stalls it's clear he is trying to make sure he isn't easy to follow. Although Aldebert looses track of him, Ami and Pent easily keep track of him in the dimly lit crowd.

Pent:
The man seems to be headed in the direction of the night stall where the Jackal is likely to operate near the Slave Block.

Perception:
Mahdi: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14 (normal)
Aldebert: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (10) + 9 = 19
Pent: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (12) + 17 = 29 (low-light)
Amiamble: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26 (normal)
Yeenoghu: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15 (low-light)
Otah: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11 (darkvision)


Stats:
HP 107/107;AC27; F 11,R 15,W 15; Init:9; Perc 20 (normal). Yeenoghu: 154/154; AC 37 (usually);F 14+5,R 15+5, W 6+5; Perc 8;Acro 18 (lowlight)

Ami and Yeen walk warily through the stalls, having no desire to be there at all. He hates being around so many people, but will persevere to support this brother (despite his brother's wrong decision). That's the kind of loyal halfling that Ami is.

Yeen sniffs and snuffles, following the thug from a distance as best they can without being seen.

1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25 Survival - Scent

Ami is happy the man is released...now Yeen can give him death with the claw.


Statistical Representation of Character's Sunny Disposition:
Male Gnome Ex-Jester HP: 99, AC: 13(t 11, f13), F 13, R 4, W 16, Init 0, Perception 23, Low Light Vision

Pent keeps Mahdi and Otah up to speed on the direction they're going. "Right through there, and we have a pretty good location for the Jackal's pisshole of a slave pit. Brutal boy, from what I remember. You lay down with animals, you get up with smaller animals that infest the larger animal's pelt who have decided that your pelt might be as suitable as its previous host. So keep your eyes peeled."

With that, the gnome shifts into something more shifty. His stature enlarges a little, mimicking Otah's overall girth and height. His clothes change towards something more dusty and road-worn.

He clicks his tongue. "Aldebert, I know you favor your lizard, but it's kind of a dead giveaway for who we are, if they know us already for our notoriety, being the bearers of the you-know-what. Any way you can shoo it off for a little, so we can do our investigation right?"


Dwarven Mobile Fighter 12 | HP: 130/130 | Init: +3 | Perc: +2 | SM: +1 | AC: 27 | Mobility: 31 | Touch: 16 | FF: 21 | CMD: 31 Res (fire) 30 | Fort: +13 | Ref: +8 | Will: 5 | +2 vs poisons, spells | +4 vs paralyze, slow, entangle

The dwarf listens as the party talks about investigating Rayhan's disappearance. He nods along with the ideas to find the cause behind their benefactor's disappearance, but is agitated by his own lack of training to help.

Night stalls!

Otah muddles behind the group, knowing that his ability to follow someone un-noticed would be hampered by all his gear. His silence has helped however, having not said much since the Kazim's arrival.

Silent brooding on the events of the day, and his own speculations on the motivations of the Abadarians and his party members keep him in his head.

You can't kill frustration with a spear.

"Are we sure it's The Jackal and not one of these other merchant houses?" he asks Pent.


Halfling (Per +18 | Fort +17 Ref +11 Will +15 | AC 26 (f25/t14) | CMD 28)
Pent Arotha wrote:
He clicks his tongue. "Aldebert, I know you favor your lizard, but it's kind of a dead giveaway for who we are, if they know us already for our notoriety, being the bearers of the you-know-what. Any way you can shoo it off for a little, so we can do our investigation right?"

"Good idea, but, uh, where?"

Are there stables on the edge of the stalls or am I misremembering? If so, Aldebert will quickly stable Gretiem if that's easily done whatever the fee. If not, well, he's still astride the great beast.


CN Human Wizard 14 | Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +11; (+1 vs. fire) | AC 15 - CMD 17 | P +18, Init +10 | HP 87/94 | 12/12 jets remaining | Current buffs: Mage Armor, Overland Flight, Life Bubble, See Invisibility, Locate Creature (Hazim), Prot from fire 120 pts

"Do you intend to suggest the same thing to Amiamble?" Mahdi says drily to Pent, at this talk of lizard stabling. "Call it a hunch, but I doubt you'll be successful, and the cat is just as recognizable as the lizard."

Mahdi walks along, glancing casually at things for sale in other boots, until it is pointed out by one of the others the man is ahead.

"Excellent! The first good news we've had all day. Let us make sure to take him alive, as we need him for further information. If we don't want a chase in this mess, I can simply take myself and two others immediately to his side, as I did in the desert. It seems wiser than allowing him the chance to escape."


Statistical Representation of Character's Sunny Disposition:
Male Gnome Ex-Jester HP: 99, AC: 13(t 11, f13), F 13, R 4, W 16, Init 0, Perception 23, Low Light Vision
Otah wrote:
"Are we sure it's The Jackal and not one of these other merchant houses?"

Knowledge(Local), Untrained: 1d20 ⇒ 2

"Pretty sure, but we can soak up some information by talking with the merchants, to take 'pretty' to 'reasonably', or 'reasonably' to 'definitely'. Depends on how much 'sure' you want." He encourages the dwarf to help him ask around.

Gather Information: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24

Mahdi wrote:
"Do you intend to suggest the same thing to Amiamble? Call it a hunch, but I doubt you'll be successful, and the cat is just as recognizable as the lizard."

The gnome/dwarf turns, thin-lipped, to the fire mage. "I just did. By suggesting the stabling or the hiding or the shying of the animal to the less rude half, the message should carry through, as the less rude half is intelligent enough to reason the situation out, and understand both animals mark us. I'm not foolish enough to speak on stabling twice. Once should be enough."

Pent watches Aldebert to see what the half does. Failing that, he's not sure they won't have the element of surprise, for angling directly at the Jackal's place of business. Jackal the Jester. Jackal the Jerkoff. Jackal the Jackass. Jackal the Joke.


CN Human Wizard 14 | Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +11; (+1 vs. fire) | AC 15 - CMD 17 | P +18, Init +10 | HP 87/94 | 12/12 jets remaining | Current buffs: Mage Armor, Overland Flight, Life Bubble, See Invisibility, Locate Creature (Hazim), Prot from fire 120 pts

Mahdi laughs aloud at Pent's words of the halfling situation, a sharp amused bark. "I think you are an unearned optimist!"


Maps: Winterthrone -Travel

There are indeed stables near the tent / merchant area. Given that the individual you all are trailing is still moving, would those leaving the group to stable animals do so while those remaining continue to trail the man?

The man slows slightly, as if nearing his destination and looks behind him.

Stealth rolls if you got 'em.

GM:
Perc: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22


Stats:
HP 107/107;AC27; F 11,R 15,W 15; Init:9; Perc 20 (normal). Yeenoghu: 154/154; AC 37 (usually);F 14+5,R 15+5, W 6+5; Perc 8;Acro 18 (lowlight)

1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18 Stealth (Ami)
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16 Stealth (Yeen) +4 more if deserty surroundings

Ami and Yeen stay back and stay with the party in following the man.


CN Human Wizard 14 | Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +11; (+1 vs. fire) | AC 15 - CMD 17 | P +18, Init +10 | HP 87/94 | 12/12 jets remaining | Current buffs: Mage Armor, Overland Flight, Life Bubble, See Invisibility, Locate Creature (Hazim), Prot from fire 120 pts

When the man ahead looks back, Mahdi hurriedly mutters words of a spell.

If it's allowed in the situation, Mahdi will cast Vanish on himself.

Stealth: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 = 14 With another +20 if my Vanish works.


Maps: Winterthrone -Travel

In the dim torch lit crowds Mahdi's disappearance goes unnoticed while the others do their best to blend in, the figure being trailed spots several members of the group.

Stealth target 22. Happy to retcon the stabling of the animals before this point, but with that roll for Perception it looks as if the guard would likely spot anyone that doesn't use magic. Though Pent could take a Disguise roll given the earlier narrative bits.


CN Human Wizard 14 | Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +11; (+1 vs. fire) | AC 15 - CMD 17 | P +18, Init +10 | HP 87/94 | 12/12 jets remaining | Current buffs: Mage Armor, Overland Flight, Life Bubble, See Invisibility, Locate Creature (Hazim), Prot from fire 120 pts

Are we considering distance at all on the Perception check you're mentioning? I don't know how far away we are, but it's effectively a -1 to the perceiver's roll for every 10 feet of distance. I was under the narrative impression that we were trying to hang back a ways, in the crowd. /two cents

6,051 to 6,100 of 10,748 << first < prev | 117 | 118 | 119 | 120 | 121 | 122 | 123 | 124 | 125 | 126 | 127 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Rat Sass's Legacy of Fire - Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.