GM Euan's Mummy's Mask

Game Master Euan

Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet
Osirion Map - Wati City Map - Tephu City Map


6,251 to 6,300 of 8,104 << first < prev | 121 | 122 | 123 | 124 | 125 | 126 | 127 | 128 | 129 | 130 | 131 | next > last >>

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Female Halfling Cavalier/15

Jharna's:

Anubis whines in delight and shimmies like a puppy as Jharna rubs his belly.

Jharna wrote:
"What a good, Annie. Such a brave, loyal, Annie, aren’t you?”

The tan hound closes his eyes, bearing a wide silly grin as the white blaze on his nose turns bright strawberry pink.

Stuffing wrote:
If you have a problem, you have to take it up with my crew.

A pharaoh hound down is a pharaoh hound up in a matter of seconds, at least once he finally notices the army Stuffing and Chicks surrounding everyone. The dog flips over onto his feet in one motion to stand his ground, and sniffs defensively at each of the birds within nose reach.

I would, but at the moment your 'crew' seems more in danger of being accidentally trodden upon.

He wags his tail three times in salute as Jharna gently but firmly relocates the Hen (and all of her 'henportance') out of the shop.

Jharna wrote:
“Stelle, dear, what can I do for you? Another banner perhaps?”

Stelle shakes her head. "I was just about the neighborhood, and wanted to thank you again for your hospitality. I found these marvelous dates and apricots at the market, and thought that all of you might like some." Stelle proffers a gift basket of pitted fruits, and tries to make small talk as best she can. "My father talks of these widely sought after large berries his cousins grow somewhere out West. They once found some popping up out of some hay, and started properly cultivating them. They now claim these berries sometimes grow to be as big as your fist," She continues, before looking at Jharna's gnarled and weathered wise hands, then at Nidhi's. A shadow of doubt scampers across her visage. "Well..." she considers, " maybe my fist. Plump and luscious berries. I've never had those, but my father says these apricots are just as luscious -- but in their own way. They taste very different he says, you see."

"However, I think I have -- " Stelle drifts off as the banner of red and purple, embroidered with a glorious golden phoenix suddenly occupies all of her attention. Why, that's truly inspired! "-- OH! That is beautiful!" Stelle exclaims, gesturing towards the banner and finding her mind reeling. "Embroidery -- of that quality -- it is a lost art! I've only seen of such craft depicted in books at the Library!" Stelle can't bring herself to ask what price would be fair for such a piece of art. She's sure she does not have that much.

Her wide eyes betray her lust for the banner as she thinks, It is too beautiful for the boat -- we'd be pirated just for the banner! My castle or Pyramid -- yes! ... if I ever build one... The Tent could suffice for now!

Stelle sighs in resignation, opportunity lost. ... should I ever acquire enough gold again...

Eventually, Nidhi offers to walk with Stelle back to the Tooth and Hookah. "Oh, my! Look at the time!" Stelle says, genuinely surprised. "You are right! It is time that we should head back. Come, Anubis!"

Nidhi wrote:
" “sooo, what did you and you father discuss?”

Being aware (to some degree) that her own kin can go on and on and on and on about their own kin, Stelle tries to be as detailed yet succinct as possible.

"Oooh -oh. Lately he's been really into trade routes and the comings and goings of various commodities he gleans off of the more distant shipping ledgers. I think he's looking for a possible berry angle -- you know -- to help out cousin Loamstead -- his second cousin on his mother's mother's -- I mean -- our cousins. He spoke also of a possible route towards fine hounds -- ones better than Anubis," She looks at Nidhi and rolls her eyes. "-- as if there could ever be such a hound. Mostly we just enjoyed the cooler night air over our favorite things to eat -- and some wine."

Nidhi wrote:
Her expression turns serious, “what does your dad think about you adventuring?”

Stelle considers this for awhile, and it is some time before she answers. "I'm thinking, honestly -- if he could at all ride, he'd be right here with us. He's been thrown by a few dogs, though he still respects them in general and blames himself for the mishaps. He gets dizzy easily, which is why he likes being in the Library. It's structured more or less linearly in the inside," Stelle explains, waving her hands robotically up and down to illustrate the stacks -- some form of stability she obviously doesn't quite appreciate or understand. "I feel bad for him sometimes, because he can only read about some of the things we're actually doing. But I shouldn't I guess -- he seems perfectly happy there."

Nidhi wrote:
"Grandmother Jharna is all I have, you know. But, if I had to choose: a whole gaggle of family or just her – I’d pick her every time.”

Stelle nods and smiles, knowing exactly what Nidhi means. "If you want to know -- I think she is really really proud of you."

Nidhi wrote:
"I think we should get the bartender drunk and send Stelle up in his stead. Can anyone say 'free round on the house?'"

Stelle looks over at the current bartender, and shakes her head knowingly. "No, getting that one to drink is futile, but I'm sure he'd love to hear about our ... engagements." She walks over to the bar, winks at the bartender, and starts making cocktails out of her own kit.

Bartending: 20 + 10 = 30

She makes a pitcher of Elderflower tonic and iced Gin, sprinkled with a hint of cloves and rosemary, more generously with lavender flowers and garnishes it with mint. She pours it all into oversized martini glasses, and brings them to the table.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
HP: 95/95 l AC: 12 (16), T 12, FF 10 l CMD 20 l F +13, R +11, W +13 l Remedies (8/8) l L1: 4/6, L2: 3/6, L3: 3/5, L4: 2/5, L5: 4/5, L6: 3/4, L7: 1/2, L8: 1/1 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +8
Skills:
Craft: Alchemy +22, Diplomacy +13, Fly +15, Heal +17, Kn. Arcana/History +24, Kn. Nature +22, Kn. Local +21, Kn. Planes +19, Kn. Religion +12, Spellcraft +24, Swim +6, UMD +14
Female Human l Active Conditions: Mage Armor / Bynx: AC 22, HP: 47/47

Early-Mid Morning

Nidhi wrote:
Nidhi stays silent about her opinion of Ben and second’s Florence’s suggestion. "I think that’s a good idea. I need to pick up more arrows from Sunburst Market and I was thinking about a new pair of shoes."

Thankful to have Nidhi on her side this time around, Florence's smile is tinged with a little bit of relief.

"I really should get some new shoes myself but if I can find everything I've already got a mind to purchase, I'll need to save what I've got left," she remarks. "These headbands can be enchanted even further than what I plan to have done but the cost...well, I'll need to save up for it."

Nidhi wrote:
"I find Kosei very charming. His appreciation for art, good-natured personality, usefulness to the group… it’s a shame he lacks a muscular physique."

Florence stares thoughtfully after Kosei, considering Nidhi's words. "I can see that," she finally agrees. "His magic isn't quite like anything Ben or myself have ever been able to do. It's like it stems from a different source - but that doesn't make it any less helpful! And...yes, he's very charming but you said he was nobility? A real prince? They're all usually taught nice manners."

Most men are usually charming when they want to be. Ben was. I bet even Zilchus could do it if he found someone that he really wanted to try for.

She frowns. No matter how much she tried, Ben kept turning up in her thoughts like a bad copper coin. It was bad enough that Zilchus kept bringing him up.

I just want to forget about Ben, at least for a little while. Can we do that? Please?

Nidhi wrote:
So, Nidhi accompanies Florence to the Sunburst Market to refill her quiver and shop for boots. (Abdur was taking care of her other items since they were getting upgraded.) Nidhi makes sure to eat a lot of breakfast so she’d not woefully missing the street food. Since she’s with at least one other party member, Nidhi casts Disguise Self for the second time that day to hide her mask. It wasn’t out of fear of being found, but rather trying to avoid price mark-up. Nidhi grew up in Wati and was the granddaughter of a shop owner, so she knew some sellers inflated their prices based on the buyer appearance. The problem wasn’t as bad in Wati as Tephu, Nidhi realized. The realization made her grateful for her experiences.

After the trials and tribulations they'd all faced since the last time they'd been in Wati, Florence is eager for a day or two of relaxation. During the time she and Nidhi spend wandering the Sunburst Market she enjoys the hustle and bustle of humanity; the children playing in the streets, the cries of the vendors hawking their wares, the occasional dog that comes bounding up, hopeful for a treat or a friendly pat. She even enjoys some simple 'girl time' with Nidhi; trying on this and that, talking patterns and colors and fabrics.

"Hmm...I don't know...the winged pattern is pretty but I think I like the cheetah better for speedy boots..."

"Hey Nidhi, which do you like better for this brooch - the scarab beetle or the ankh?"

"Oh wow, they're selling those arrows for that much? That sounds like a great deal!"

Once their shopping is done, Florence parts ways with Nidhi for the time being; her companion understandably wanted to get back to her grandmother's and Florence was ready for a bit of quiet time - maybe even a nap - before dinner.

"Tell your grandmother that I promise I'll come by and visit before we have to head back out," Florence calls before heading back to the Tooth & Hookah.


HP: 95/95 l AC: 12 (16), T 12, FF 10 l CMD 20 l F +13, R +11, W +13 l Remedies (8/8) l L1: 4/6, L2: 3/6, L3: 3/5, L4: 2/5, L5: 4/5, L6: 3/4, L7: 1/2, L8: 1/1 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +8
Skills:
Craft: Alchemy +22, Diplomacy +13, Fly +15, Heal +17, Kn. Arcana/History +24, Kn. Nature +22, Kn. Local +21, Kn. Planes +19, Kn. Religion +12, Spellcraft +24, Swim +6, UMD +14
Female Human l Active Conditions: Mage Armor / Bynx: AC 22, HP: 47/47

Afternoon/Evening

Later that afternoon (or evening), Florence comes down from her room for a meal and drink and she's only just plopped herself down at the table with Zilchus and Kosei when she sees Nidhi and Stelle enter through the main door. She waves them over, scooting her chair to make room.

Nidhi wrote:

""I think we should get the bartender drunk and send Stelle up in his stead. Can anyone say 'free round on the house?'

"Flo, you're with me right? A free round of drinks for the valiant heroes of Wati?"

Stelle wrote:
"No, getting that one to drink is futile, but I'm sure he'd love to hear about our ... engagements."

Florence laughs - and it feels good to laugh. "Hah! I think Stelle's right; he's probably not allowed to touch the stuff while he's on duty. But it might be fun to watch one of you try just the same," she says with a mischievous grin.

While Stelle is busy whipping up her own concoction over at the bar, Florence turns to her two gentlemen(?) companions. "So, what did you two get up to today? Nidhi and I actually had a fun time out at the markets!"

"Mm...is that mint I smell?" Florence asks a bit later when Stelle returns with the oversized martini glasses. She takes one of the glasses and lifts it to her nose, inhaling the fragrance of lavender and rosemary and cloves. "This smells amazing! I'm not sure if I'm supposed to drink it or bathe in it though," she laughs.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Male Pharaoh Hound, Animal Companion, Lvl 15
Bynx wrote:

No...I haven't seen that one before. There's something strange about him. I don't know if I like it!

Stealth: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17

Anubis tries to casually skirt past Bynx back at the group's quarters. He ends up curling up near the hearth, trying to ignore the fact that he smells like cucumber and chicken.

It wasn't like that. He broods defensively at Bynx. There was some excitement around some stupid falafel cart and -- YES I HAD SOME MELON -- then there was this army of fowl, which was hardly worth batting an eyelash at... But that darn new -- creature like yourself -- eluded me. He snorts, lying down to pout with his head between his forepaws.

Suddenly, Anubis catches the sent of baklava.

Kosei wrote:
On the afternoon he goes back with the others and stays among while they discuss ... He does devote to lick one of his paws for the baklava remains there while observing Bynx and Anubis-Ka with curiosity.

Oh,... my. do you see what I see? HOW DOES HE JUST SHOW UP?! That little jerk is back! But where did he come from?

Anubis stands, head lowered, hackles raised, and approaches Kosei the feline. Who are you, and did you bring enough to share!?


That’s quite the novel, Nidhi. I’ll have it finished soon enough. :)

Zilchus nods to Stelle trying to get one of her special beer, mixed with beer, and with a dash of more beer cocktails. Those were his favorite. If she was too busy to make him one, he would settle for a regular beer, which was completely different.

”So, Kosei, tell me again what you’ve done to prepare for our next little trip in the desert? I had my blade emboldened, and got a new belt,” Zilchus points at his new fancy belt that still surrounds his less-than-clean summer’s robe that he has taken to wearing in town as the full armor was deemed too much work.

”Yeah, also going to lay in a stash of good drink too. Maybe something other than applejack. Maybe some whiskey? Do you know whiskey, Kosei? Think Stelle does? Maybe she’ll recommend something that will keep in the warm air.”


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet

Nidhi and Stelle enjoy some time at Nidhi’s grandmother’s shop after Nidhi and Florence had some success earlier. The men do their shopping alone and Kosei spends some time as a cat searching the city.

When Stelle moves in to bartend, Farhaan, the owner of the Tooth and Hookah, steps away having seen her talents at work before and watches with interest. ”That sort of thing wouldn’t do well here, too fancy. But I’m impressed. What do you call it?”

The party convenes at their table - well two brought together. You briefly remember when you first sat down here just a few short months ago. Green, and still damp behind the ears, you thought to excavate the wonders of the world from Wati’s necropolis. Oh where it has lead!

You have a pleasant evening as the sun sets and the desert air cools rapidly. As Stelle is serving her drinks (and possibly mixing something special for Ziclhus), Ptemenib drifts through the door, looking over the evening crowd (rather thin overall really). Seeing you, he strides over smiling. ”Greetings my friends! I hope the desert has been kind to you. I was wondering, may I have a moment to chat? I know it’s late, but I’d love to hear how things are going with you and whether you’ve solved the puzzle that starting with our undead uprising.”

He barely hesitates before pulling up a chair (unless clearly unwanted) and joins you.

”For our part, we’ve calmed the Necropolis, and cleansed the city streets. All seems well now, though there are more restless dead in the Necropolis than we’d like. Perhaps I can convince the higher-ups to release some funds for you to quell some of the hotspots.” Always looking to see how he can help, while solving his own problems, is one of the reasons Ptemenib has been so successful with adventuring groups in the past. He looks for bite sized problems and groups with big mouths…

Various magics will take a week or so to be ready, so your departure for the Slave Trenches of Hakotep will have to wait until then. Please let me know if there are any particular things you want to do during the time. We don’t need to cover each day… unless you wish to.


Female Halfling Cavalier/15
Farhaan wrote:
”That sort of thing wouldn’t do well here, too fancy. But I’m impressed. What do you call it?”

Stelle lowers her voice. "A drink." As she mixes, she glances at Farhaan. "I haven't named it yet -- it seems to me to still be missing a little something..."

Florence wrote:
"This smells amazing! I'm not sure if I'm supposed to drink it or bathe in it though,"

Stelle laughs. "It's pretty refreshing -- and slightly astringent! You could probably do both at the same time -- just remember not to drink the bath 'water'!"

Stelle indulges Zilchus's request with an oversized frosty chalice full of beer (link!), garnished with more beer.

"Maybe someday I'll make you a boilermaker -- but it's the kind of thing that is better appreciated when it's cold out."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Stats:
HP 73/73 | AC 14 Tch 14 FF 10 | Fort +7 Ref +18 Will +14 | Init +3 | Bardic Perf 39/day | Never Fear RING | Perc +19 | Dis Dvce +22 +5 | Diplo +23 | Sense Motive +19 | Perform +27
Neutral Human Bard/14
Sopdet-Ka "Stelle" wrote:

Bartending: 20 + 10 = 30

She makes a pitcher of Elderflower tonic and iced Gin, sprinkled with a hint of cloves and rosemary, more generously with lavender flowers and garnishes it with mint. She pours it all into oversized martini glasses, and brings them to the table.

Nidhi covers her chest where her heart would be. "Oh~! Stelle! A woman after my own heart. You shouldn't have!" Nidhi jokingly mocks, immediately reaching for one of the glasses.

Florence Corvina wrote:
"Mm...is that mint I smell?" Florence asks a bit later when Stelle returns with the oversized martini glasses. She takes one of the glasses and lifts it to her nose, inhaling the fragrance of lavender and rosemary and cloves. "This smells amazing! I'm not sure if I'm supposed to drink it or bathe in it though," she laughs.

The bard consumes a third of the drink while Florence comments on its contents. She sits the glass down on the table, swiping her tongue across her lips. She nods to Florence's observation and adds: "a relaxing drink with warm, homey notes." Nidhi glances at her remaining pale ale, unsure to if the two drinks would go well together. It would probably be best to finish Stelle's first. She sips and listens, sharing her own experiences when the conversation relates to her. Nidhi wasn't uncharacteristically quiet, but she was starting to feel sleepy.

GM Euan wrote:
Ptemenib drifts through the door, looking over the evening crowd (rather thin overall really). Seeing you, he strides over smiling. [b] "Greetings my friends! I hope the desert has been kind to you. I was wondering, may I have a moment to chat? I know it’s late, but I’d love to hear how things are going with you and whether you’ve solved the puzzle that starting with our undead uprising.”

Nidhi seems pleased to see Ptemenib again and sits up with renewed energy. She liked him a lot better strolling into the Tooth and Hookah than at the bottom of a well. Under the table, the bard fingers one of the eye sockets of her mask. She had it laying on top of her lap while she ate and drank. "Join us, join us." Her smile seems genuine. "We've just arrived back from the desert. Well, yesterday. Killed evil cultists, saved innocents, saved royalty, and all while adding to our coffers!" Nidhi frowns suddenly, "wait... word hasn't reached you yet from Milki? We had quite a few listeners." Her eyes widen, "Oooooh. You must be here because you've heard of our most recent tale." One side of Nidhi's mouth lifts up in a grin.

GM Euan wrote:
"For our part, we’ve calmed the Necropolis, and cleansed the city streets. All seems well now, though there are more restless dead in the Necropolis than we’d like. Perhaps I can convince the higher-ups to release some funds for you to quell some of the hotspots.” Always looking to see how he can help, while solving his own problems, is one of the reasons Ptemenib has been so successful with adventuring groups in the past. He looks for bite sized problems and groups with big mouths…

"If Wati is in need of her saviors once more, then who am I to deny her?" Nidhi stands and puts a foot onto her chair to lean on her knee. Her long, thick braid falls in front of her shoulder from the new posture. She holds her mask in the other hand, curling her fingers around the metal protectively. "What, specifically, seems to be the problem?" Please say dragon. Please say dragon.


HP: 95/95 l AC: 12 (16), T 12, FF 10 l CMD 20 l F +13, R +11, W +13 l Remedies (8/8) l L1: 4/6, L2: 3/6, L3: 3/5, L4: 2/5, L5: 4/5, L6: 3/4, L7: 1/2, L8: 1/1 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +8
Skills:
Craft: Alchemy +22, Diplomacy +13, Fly +15, Heal +17, Kn. Arcana/History +24, Kn. Nature +22, Kn. Local +21, Kn. Planes +19, Kn. Religion +12, Spellcraft +24, Swim +6, UMD +14
Female Human l Active Conditions: Mage Armor / Bynx: AC 22, HP: 47/47

"Ptemenib! Yeah, have a seat with us," Florence agrees, scooting over further to make a space for the man to join them at their table(s). "It's good to hear that things haven't been too hairy here in Wati and the Necropolis while we've been away," she continues. "But you said 'hotspots'...what's going on, exactly?"


”OW! OW! OW!” Zilchus sips on his frosty frosty frostbeer on ice, trying to take it slow. He fails though and soon has his head in his hands from a splitting brain freeze.

”GAH! THAT HURTS!” Zilchus bemoans while he waits for the effect to fade. ”Who knew beer could hurt so much!” Zilchus asks with a tear in his eye.

He shakes his head when it finally passes, then takes another tentative sip of the cold brew.

”What Peemannib? You need more help from us? Man, don’t the phasamites have just one job?” Zilchus asks grumpily remembering how they all got into this mess. ”What do you need from us this time?”


Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet

Ptemenib laughs at the parties varied responses. ”Oh, it’s nothing challenging for the likes of you lot.” he waives his hand dismissively, ”But it is a challenge for our guards.” he says smiling.

”They’re well trained, don’t get me wrong, but they’re not as, ah, experienced or well equipped as you.” he adds. ”And we can handle it in time, but it’s slow going. If I could get you a couple thousand gold, do you think you could spend a day or two in the Necropolis quieting the undead and other denizens that reside there?”

”I don’t expect, as I said, that it’ll be anything you can’t handle. But it would put us weeks, or even months, ahead of schedule.” He rises from the table, ”Think on it, and let me know tomorrow or the next day. At your leisure in fact!” Still grinning he says his goodbyes before striding from the room and out into the windy evening.


HP 140/153 AC 23 24 TAC 12 14 FF 21 23 | CMD 2725 | F +16 R +10 W +19 (immune to poison) | Res 20 fire | WS: 5/6 HH: 14/15 FB: 10/10 L1: 6/7+4/4 L2: 5/7+1/1 L3: 4/7 L4: 1/6 L5: 5/6 L6: 3/5 L7: 2/3 L8: 2/2 Ext: 2/3 Daz: 3/3 | Ini+3 | Senses+22
Skills:
Acro+18,Climb+4,Diplo+1,Fly+7,H.Animal+3,Heal+25,K.dung+16,K.geo+8,K.hist+2 ,K.local+0,K.nat+5,K.nobility+13,K.planes+16,K.relig+2,Linguist+15,P.Orator y+2,S.Motive+7,Spellcr+8,Stealth+14,Surviv+11,Swim+1
Eccentric Garundi Druid (restorer) 15 | longstrider 13h, m.fang 13h, life bubble 4h
Anubis-Ka, "Annie" wrote:
Anubis stands, head lowered, hackles raised, and approaches Kosei the feline. Who are you, and did you bring enough to share!?

The black cat looks back at Anubis, but answers nothing. He does not understand

Zilchus Lyghtlode wrote:
”So, Kosei, tell me again what you’ve done to prepare...

The cat starts to grow until it becomes Kosei once more "[b]Ah! The Wati is certainly an interesting place. Not as much as the infinite dunes of the deserts of Osirion, but interesting nevertheless. I have been recovering energies, and also requested some beautiful craftings..."

The Garundi observes with curiosity at the whiskey "Ah, no, this I have never tried. Is it sweat? My absolute favorite is the date spirits"

-----------------------------------------

Despite not knowing Ptemenib, Kosei does not lose the opportunity to introduce himself to the man "Ah! So good to get in touch with you noble Ptemenib. I am Kosei Amanasteuar of the river tribe of the Sharif sons and Obenasteuar of the golden tribe of the Sothis sands, grandson of..."

...

"This sounds like working..." Kosei looks back to the others "We still have some days to spare at Wati. I am interested to know how it feels to work. We might work for this men here. We are already very experienced into old tombs and not-really-dead-yet dangers, we even met a ghost of Pharasma, have we told you that story Ptemenib?"


HP: 95/95 l AC: 12 (16), T 12, FF 10 l CMD 20 l F +13, R +11, W +13 l Remedies (8/8) l L1: 4/6, L2: 3/6, L3: 3/5, L4: 2/5, L5: 4/5, L6: 3/4, L7: 1/2, L8: 1/1 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +8
Skills:
Craft: Alchemy +22, Diplomacy +13, Fly +15, Heal +17, Kn. Arcana/History +24, Kn. Nature +22, Kn. Local +21, Kn. Planes +19, Kn. Religion +12, Spellcraft +24, Swim +6, UMD +14
Female Human l Active Conditions: Mage Armor / Bynx: AC 22, HP: 47/47

Florence looks around at her companions and shrugs. "Well, we're not going anywhere until all of our orders are done and I don't think it would kill us to help out a little if it'll mean things get back to normal here faster. I'm game to help out if the rest of you are."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Halfling Cavalier/15
Zilchus wrote:
”OW! OW! OW!” Zilchus sips on his frosty frosty frostbeer on ice, trying to take it slow. He fails though and soon has his head in his hands from a splitting brain freeze.

"Oh! My apologies -- I guess I should have toned that down. I didn't realize that you had one of those to freeze," she smiles, gesturing toward his head.

Kosei wrote:
"My absolute favorite is the date spirits"

Stelle nods. "It is quite sweet, but not quite as sweet as date spirits. The sweetness of the elderflower tonic and herbs balance the bitterness of the gin quite neatly." She makes a mental note however, to replenish her supply of date liquor.

Ptemenib wrote:
"If I could get you a couple thousand gold, do you think you could spend a day or two in the Necropolis quieting the undead and other denizens that reside there?”

...months ahead of schedule?! Who IS this guy?

"I'm Stelle," says Stelle, finally getting around to introducing herself. "Nice to meet you! Sure -- for 'some funds' we'll fight the ... pocket horde, or hordes." She looks to her companions for confirmation, particularly Kosei and Zilchus. "Right?"


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Male Pharaoh Hound, Animal Companion, Lvl 15
Kosei wrote:
The cat starts to grow until it becomes Kosei once more ...

As Kosei transforms from cat form to Kosei Form, Anubis's eyes grow wide, and he suddenly finds his tail tucked between his legs, hackles raised ever more. I don't eat baklava anyway!!!!!

He rushes out to a sand dune to relieve himself. ... too much melon, yea...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Sopdet-Ka "Stelle" wrote:
"Oh! My apologies -- I guess I should have toned that down. I didn't realize that you had one of those to freeze," she smiles, gesturing toward his head.

Ah, zing!

Zilchus squints his eyes, waiting for the pain to subside. He blinks at Stelle, trying to decide if she were chiding or being serious or making a joke. A joke. Ha ha, Stelle. Ow.

When his head clears, he leans forward to Ptemenib, focusing his thoughts.

”I got one problem, my sword is in the shop. Won’t have it back for a few days. I’ll need to borrow something...or maybe just use my bow. I don’t like fighting without a good sword though, you know? Can you loan a good magic sword, Ptenememib?”


Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet

Ptemenib greets Kosei and Stelle warmly, surprised that Stelle is pushing for a vote right away. He introduces himself simply as Ptemenib (image), humble priest of Pharasma and servant in the local church (the largest in town). He has no further name as he needs none, having passed through Pharasma’s graveyard and back. He is now simply a servant of the church, he explains, and so needs no name but Ptemenib.

Pleased, he lingers to see if any further questions should befall when Zilchus requests a blade. ”Well, I’m sure we could arrange something, though it may not be much." To Kosei he says, "My friend I have heard something of your exploits, but would enjoy hearing them again - from your own lips. It would be an honor!"


Stats:
HP 73/73 | AC 14 Tch 14 FF 10 | Fort +7 Ref +18 Will +14 | Init +3 | Bardic Perf 39/day | Never Fear RING | Perc +19 | Dis Dvce +22 +5 | Diplo +23 | Sense Motive +19 | Perform +27
Neutral Human Bard/14

Nidhi tilts her head, "so you don't want us to go into the Necropolis? You want us to meet with someone?" This guy's really beating around the bush.


Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet

Sorry for the confusion, Ptemenib is looking to hire you to spend a day in the Necropolis, slaying all the undead you can find, though there are a few hot spots he'd like you to focus on.


Zilchus is in if he can get a decent blade. He doesn't want to have to go buy a new blade just for a day's work with(probably) minimal pay. Seems dangerous at the start, let alone without a good sword to swing.


HP: 95/95 l AC: 12 (16), T 12, FF 10 l CMD 20 l F +13, R +11, W +13 l Remedies (8/8) l L1: 4/6, L2: 3/6, L3: 3/5, L4: 2/5, L5: 4/5, L6: 3/4, L7: 1/2, L8: 1/1 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +8
Skills:
Craft: Alchemy +22, Diplomacy +13, Fly +15, Heal +17, Kn. Arcana/History +24, Kn. Nature +22, Kn. Local +21, Kn. Planes +19, Kn. Religion +12, Spellcraft +24, Swim +6, UMD +14
Female Human l Active Conditions: Mage Armor / Bynx: AC 22, HP: 47/47

"Oh yeah...I keep forgetting that you two weren't here for all the chaos that happened here in Wati," Florence remarks, nodding at Stelle and Kosei. "You see, it happened like this..."

...

...

...

"...and then that's when we knew we had to make for Tephu. That's where we met you Stelle. You know the rest of the story. And then Kosei, you came along later," Florence finishes, having given the two newest members of their group the basics on everything that had happened. "Nidhi can tell it a lot better than I can but I figured it wouldn't hurt to give you the outline of it for now."

"Anyway, I guess it sounds like we're in, as long as we can get Zilchus something decent to fight with. You mentioned a few 'hot spots' though - can you tell us anything more?"


4 people marked this as a favorite.
Stats:
HP 73/73 | AC 14 Tch 14 FF 10 | Fort +7 Ref +18 Will +14 | Init +3 | Bardic Perf 39/day | Never Fear RING | Perc +19 | Dis Dvce +22 +5 | Diplo +23 | Sense Motive +19 | Perform +27
Neutral Human Bard/14

Nidhi's eyes flash when Florence begins to explain what they've been up to. Nidhi helps embellish the tale, only divulging the parts that make Nidhi appear heroic. (She excludes the part about the mask toss.)

Nidhi tosses her long, thick braid over her shoulder. "We're a lot stronger than when we initially were in the Necropolis. Everyone who has tried to oppose us or commit evil in our path is dead." She lets out a short laugh, "Dead-dead for some."

Perform (recount daring desert encounter with a few exaggerations): 1d20 + 26 ⇒ (11) + 26 = 37

Nidhi puts an elbow on the table to rest her chin the the palm of her hand. "Here, a special tale for you, Ptemenib. Because I like you." Nidhi adds with a sly smile and winks. "When we first started traveling, we came upon a beautiful siren song. It was like nothing that's EVER been sung in the taverns or royal court. The enchanting music was indescribable. No. Enchanting is a paltry word for comparison, because this music was angelic. It was like wind chimes but orchestrated and woven into a pitch-perfect melodious tune meant for the gods' pleasure." Nidhi takes a sip of Stelle's elaborate drink. "The problem... was that there was nothing to see. Just miles and miles of sand. So, we silently traced the noise - it was extremely difficult, mind you - and after a day's worth of searching, we found the source. There was a place where the sand dipped down into a deep pit. It was so deep that we couldn't see the bottom," Nidhi pauses to stare into Ptemenib's eyes. "But, the sound was definitely coming from the hole."

"So, I started to sing. Stelle and Bynx joined in too. Ben cast Dancing Lights. And then we got a response." Nidhi smiles, "a bolt of lightning shot up and out of the pit like reverse lightning and the sound grew louder. We could feel the ground vibrate and the source of the sound climbed up to meet us!" Nidhi hums a few verses of a song she'd fold of. "I was still singing, but we were all prepared for combat. Ben had summoned lions and we had our weapons at the ready. We couldn't have anticipated what came next." Nidhi shakes her head. "A HUGE, slithering, multilegged, blue reptile with a fearsome head crowned with two large, curling horns had crawled out. A behir. And it mimicked my song, breathing in tune with me!" Nidhi seems like she's psyched herself up with her own tale. She's sitting up on the edge of her seat. "...A marvelously intelligent animal with a brassy voice that articulated Common. There was no bloodshed. No clashing to swords. The behir requested that I simply sing another song in exchange for passage through his territory."

Nidhi forces her body to relax into her chair. "Who else in Wati can claim they've harmonized with dragons?" Nidhi lifts up her eyebrows and widens her eyes at the end of her sentence.

Nidhi slathers a slice of fruit with honey and pops it into her mouth. She chews and stares at Ptemenib with interest, hoping he'll continue.


Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet

Ptemenib is enthralled by Nidhi’s storytelling, and feels very much as if he were there! Smiling he thanks her for a beautiful tale.

Florence Corvina wrote:
"... Anyway, I guess it sounds like we're in, as long as we can get Zilchus something decent to fight with. You mentioned a few 'hot spots' though - can you tell us anything more?"

Ptemenib nods, ”Oh, they’re just areas of the tombs we’ve avoided for one reason or another. Here there's a cluster of ghouls, over at this intersection there's some sort of enormous worm tunneling beneath the structures... Frankly though, some of the reasons are foolish.” he holds up a note, ”Someone said they saw a dragon in there. So clearly some of them are nonsense.” (I think you didn’t tell Ptemenib about the dragon, but correct me if I’m wrong.)

If there are no further questions, he bows once again and departs into the dark streets, promising to see you in the morning with further news.

You have until mid morning to do as you wish, when Ptemenib will come looking for you again. Let me know your plans.


Female Halfling Cavalier/15

As soon as Ptemenib leaves, a very wide and gleamy eyed Stelle turns to her companions.

"Worms? Wyrms, or Both?" She asks as if to challenge Are we ready? "No matter which -- I'm in. What do you think?"


Stats:
HP 73/73 | AC 14 Tch 14 FF 10 | Fort +7 Ref +18 Will +14 | Init +3 | Bardic Perf 39/day | Never Fear RING | Perc +19 | Dis Dvce +22 +5 | Diplo +23 | Sense Motive +19 | Perform +27
Neutral Human Bard/14

I'm pretty sure Nidhi excluded mentioning the dragon out of fear of being asked to destroy it.

Nidhi's left eye twitches, another giant worm? She dislikes the idea immensely. "Ghouls and a tunneling worm sound problematic. If we're going to rid the Necropolis of dangers that might spill into Wati, I'll need a good night's sleep." She responsibly pushes her remaining alcohol away, favoring the remaining honey inside the ramekin. She flags down a tavern worker and orders some meat. "After filling my stomach, that is."

To Ptemenib: "Err, if - if - there happened to be a dragon nesting in the Necropolis, what would you have us do about it? I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure dragon's aren't easy to relocate." Nidhi disliked the idea of killing such a fantastical creature, but letting the creature stay could also mean future danger for her home.


Zilchus drinks and drinks while listening to Nidhi's winding tale, adding a few facial blanches and grunts of agreement/whatever as the tale is told. He's getting properly sauced, but thinks he'll be ready to accompany the party on the morrow...provided he can borrow a blade suitable for fighting dragons or wurms or both.

"Yeah...also, Nidhi shhhould sing us moar songs," Zilchus slurs a bit. "Howw comme you don't sing moar songs, Need-ee? You useed to ssing such good songs...*hic*...like that one about big booooooooobbies." Zilchus drinks again, looking at Nidhi.

"You should singg moar. You shoulddd. It makes you seeem lees prisssssssy."


Stats:
HP 73/73 | AC 14 Tch 14 FF 10 | Fort +7 Ref +18 Will +14 | Init +3 | Bardic Perf 39/day | Never Fear RING | Perc +19 | Dis Dvce +22 +5 | Diplo +23 | Sense Motive +19 | Perform +27
Neutral Human Bard/14

Nidhi smiles, "I am good at singing, aren't I?" And I do like singing about a nice pair of ---s. She straightens upright in her chair. She wasn't the best fighter, but her talents in town were easy to identify. "Well, maybe just one or two. I'm tired, but that doesn't mean I should disappoint my fans."

The bard helps herself to sit on top of the table. She thinks for a moment before settling on a song about persistent love, comparing the subject of the song to a beautiful, hardy flower. Singing about love seemed easier than about their latest adventure or the mortal perils they'd faced.

Perform (sing): 1d20 + 26 ⇒ (17) + 26 = 43

"Ooh-ooh, some things you just can't refuse
She wanna ride me like a cruise
And I'm not tryna lose."

"Then you're left in the dust
Unless I stuck by ya
You're a sunflower"


Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet

The party seems to concur with the plan, as they entertain themselves into the evening. The next day (Oathday Erastus, 31), Ptemenib returns midmorning with news, ”Sebti the Crocodile, and head of my order, has agreed, but to, ah, somewhat more limited terms. Instead of two days at 2,000gp, she wants to limit it to one day, but I got her to agree to stay at 1,500gp instead of going all the way down to 1,000gp. I felt that too low to keep your interest, and I have hopes you’ll still say yes.”

”Oh, and Zilchus, I can get you a +1 mithral falchion for the day - compliments of one of our paladins. She is quite willing to take a day off, she’s been working solid in the Necropolis ever since the incident. She blesses your endeavor.”

”When you’re ready, just head on into the Necropolis. The guards there will have the latest informational map for you. Thank you for this. You’re saving lives.” he says levelly.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
HP 140/153 AC 23 24 TAC 12 14 FF 21 23 | CMD 2725 | F +16 R +10 W +19 (immune to poison) | Res 20 fire | WS: 5/6 HH: 14/15 FB: 10/10 L1: 6/7+4/4 L2: 5/7+1/1 L3: 4/7 L4: 1/6 L5: 5/6 L6: 3/5 L7: 2/3 L8: 2/2 Ext: 2/3 Daz: 3/3 | Ini+3 | Senses+22
Skills:
Acro+18,Climb+4,Diplo+1,Fly+7,H.Animal+3,Heal+25,K.dung+16,K.geo+8,K.hist+2 ,K.local+0,K.nat+5,K.nobility+13,K.planes+16,K.relig+2,Linguist+15,P.Orator y+2,S.Motive+7,Spellcr+8,Stealth+14,Surviv+11,Swim+1
Eccentric Garundi Druid (restorer) 15 | longstrider 13h, m.fang 13h, life bubble 4h

Kosei listens with interest at Florence explanations of what happened at Wati "Ah! I knew I was hanging up with the right people!" He is though marveled by Nidhi's tale. The Garundi attempts to interrupt to add some touches from himself, but mesmerized upon the woman's voice, he finds out there is no way his words will bring justice to her tale.

--------------------------

Not seemingly affected in mood by the lessening in fares Kosei just nods at Ptemenib "The Fire Lion should protect its people. How else the tribes of the deserts will keep prowling these lands? If there are dangers in that Necropolis that menaces Wati, we better hang out there and find out a solution or two. What do you say friends? The lion is ready!!!"


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Ooh...nice blade! I was expecting a wooden practice sword at best. Way to go Ptemenib!

Zilchus, even in his current state, happy agrees to the plan with the offer of the borrowed sword.

"Well cheeersh to you Peenumb!" Zilchus sloshes his drink to Ptemenib, then drinks it to seal the deal. "Weeee'lll keeel your undead badddies tomaarrrow. Don't ewe worreeee," Zilchus gets up to get another drink but then flops back down in his chair, his balance not quite perfect for some reason.

"Yeshhh, don't ewe worreee," he puts his head on the table for a moment to rest it. He is soon snoring.


Stats:
HP 73/73 | AC 14 Tch 14 FF 10 | Fort +7 Ref +18 Will +14 | Init +3 | Bardic Perf 39/day | Never Fear RING | Perc +19 | Dis Dvce +22 +5 | Diplo +23 | Sense Motive +19 | Perform +27
Neutral Human Bard/14
GM Euan wrote:
I can get you a +1 mithral falchion for the day - compliments of one of our paladins. She is quite willing to take a day off, she’s been working solid in the Necropolis ever since the incident. She blesses your endeavor.” [/b]

The bard stops what she's doing. She, you say... "Ptemenib, you should introduce us to her later. To thank her for letting us borrow her weapon."

Nidhi finishes her songs and food and retires early. She buckles her mask and casts Invisibility on herself in a nook with some privacy before making the short walk back to her grandmother's shop. Nidhi spends another hour awake talking to her grandmother, then retires to bed.

Her sleep is blissfully uninterrupted and Nidhi rises early, ready to face the day. She eats a light breakfast at the Tooth and Hookah while awaiting her companions. She's wearing her cloak of resistance that Jharna had stitched with the symbol of Pharasma over the left breast.


Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet

Your trip in the Necropolis is different from your past journey here (for those of you who have been here before). The grand entrance (image) is guarded by a squad of seasoned Pharasmins. One of them sees you coming some little ways off, and the large gates are opened before you even arrive.

”My lords, we are honored by your attention to our few remaining problems. I’ve noted, uh, three or four hotspots here on the map.” (you’re at area ‘C’ currently - link). ”If you could root out the undead in those areas, we’d be much obliged. Honestly, even clearing out one or two would be a big help.” he points to the tougher spots that he’s most worried about. (Don’t worry about exact locations on the map. Just providing it for context.)

He also hands Zilchus a falchion shaped bundle, ”My lord, your blade for the day.” He turns to the rest of you, ”We are deeply appreciative of your time. Thanks for helping us put the restless back to rest.”

They salute you as you step through the gates to be greeted by another squad of troops, idly standing around Pharasma's Needle (image) - a tall holy obelisk just inside the gates. You can see their somewhat fortified campsite here. You’ll be able to rest and recover here, should you need it and they have a couple mid-level clerics for healing and the like as well. The guards tell you the Necropolis has been quite so far today - no rushes for the doors, which only happens once every several days now. And sometimes a ‘rush’ is just one or two zombies. A far cry from the hundreds of undead pounding at the walls just a few weeks ago.

Common knowledge regarding the Necropolis:
The sturdy stone buildings of Wati’s necropolis were once part of the living city, and even now could still be mistaken for apartments, estates, shops, or tenements if not for the faded paint and desert sand piling up in the streets.

Separated from the rest of the city by high stone walls inscribed with prayers and blessings, the necropolis has an outward appearance of peace and repose. The dusty streets are mostly empty of life, but a variety of creatures, both living and undead, still call the necropolis home, surreptitiously avoiding the notice of Pharasma’s clergy.

The entrance to this section of the city is highly regulated by the Church of Pharasma.
- - -

Please give me some sense of your general preparations as you foray into the Necropolis of Wati.


Zilchus takes the blade, holding it in two hands in reverence for the offered loan.

”I will treasure and make good use of this,” Zilchus says, trying to shake off his morning hangover with bold talk of action. ”This blade is a generous loan considering the foes that we face this day. I will treat it will and hope it finds the necks of many undead.”

Zilchus stows the blade as carefully as he can, but knows that he’ll soon be swinging in the bad in anger at foes who would break the blade in two if they could.

His face still a bit green, Zilchus excuses himself to puke behind the Needle, coming back feeling better and wiping his mouth. He creates some water for drinking and a quick rinse, wondering if he drank too much last night.

When others are ready to approach the first hotspot, Zilchus will cast his usually litany of spells and take the lead, trying to seem not hungover. But he is. He so much is.

Magic Vestment, Gr. Magic Weapon, and Resist Energy Fire (30).

”Sure wish we could have some aerial scouting...” Zilchus says to himself, not wanting to be surprised by anything.


HP 140/153 AC 23 24 TAC 12 14 FF 21 23 | CMD 2725 | F +16 R +10 W +19 (immune to poison) | Res 20 fire | WS: 5/6 HH: 14/15 FB: 10/10 L1: 6/7+4/4 L2: 5/7+1/1 L3: 4/7 L4: 1/6 L5: 5/6 L6: 3/5 L7: 2/3 L8: 2/2 Ext: 2/3 Daz: 3/3 | Ini+3 | Senses+22
Skills:
Acro+18,Climb+4,Diplo+1,Fly+7,H.Animal+3,Heal+25,K.dung+16,K.geo+8,K.hist+2 ,K.local+0,K.nat+5,K.nobility+13,K.planes+16,K.relig+2,Linguist+15,P.Orator y+2,S.Motive+7,Spellcr+8,Stealth+14,Surviv+11,Swim+1
Eccentric Garundi Druid (restorer) 15 | longstrider 13h, m.fang 13h, life bubble 4h

Prepared spells for today:

Orisons (4)
light
divine guidance
create water
detect magic

Level 1 (7/day + 4 pearls of power I)
burning hands - D
obscuring mist
remove sickness
expeditious excavation
* longstrider
ant haul
faerie fire

Level 2 (7/day + 1 pearl of power II)
produce flame - D
barkskin
frost fall (Fort 19)
delay poison
2x stone discus (no SR)
stone call (no SR)
Hand: see invisibility (CL 5)

Level 3 (6/day)
fireball - D (Ref 20)
dispel magic
greater magic fang
resist energy communal
shifting sand
air geyser (Ref 20)
Hand: daylight (CL 5)

Level 4 (5/day)
wall of fire - D
freedom of movement
dispel magic
geyser (Ref 21)
flame strike (Ref 21)

Level 5 (5/day)
fire shield - D
death ward
blessing of the salamander (fast healing 5)
call lightning storm (Ref 22)
communal air walk

Level 6 (4/day)
fire seeds - D
sirocco (Fort 23)
stone wall
+1 open slot

Level 7 (2/day)
elemental body IV (fire only)
heal

Kosei admires the grand entrance to the Necropolis as the group approaches "So this is the infamous Necropolis of Wati? The walls are certainly something great and glamorous, as real tall mountains in the desert my friend"

As the group goes deeper into the Necropolis, the Garundi admires the Needle and pays respects to the guards.

Kosei casts longstrider and greater magic fang on himself. Once closer to the areas marked in the map, he plans for more.


Stats:
HP 73/73 | AC 14 Tch 14 FF 10 | Fort +7 Ref +18 Will +14 | Init +3 | Bardic Perf 39/day | Never Fear RING | Perc +19 | Dis Dvce +22 +5 | Diplo +23 | Sense Motive +19 | Perform +27
Neutral Human Bard/14

Nidhi stands up a little straighter, my lords? I hadn't realized we'd earned titles. Nidhi kneels before Pharasma's Needle and says a silent prayer. Pharasma, may my fate be kind.

She stands and brushes the sand off her cloak. Before the party begins to venture into the Necropolis, Nidhi recounts the arrows in her quiver and casts Disguise Self to hide her mask. Everything else about her looks the same. She carries her Swarmbow.

Disguise (+10 from spell): 1d20 + 13 + 10 ⇒ (3) + 13 + 10 = 26

Kosei Sharif-El-Sadad wrote:
"So this is the infamous Necropolis of Wati? The walls are certainly something great and glamorous, as real tall mountains in the desert my friend"

Nidhi nods solemnly. "The Necropolis belongs to the dead but it is still one of Wati's treasures." Nidhi tilts her head, placing a hand on her hip, and look Kosei up and down. "Where did you say you hail from? You look like you would fit right into Wati."


HP: 95/95 l AC: 12 (16), T 12, FF 10 l CMD 20 l F +13, R +11, W +13 l Remedies (8/8) l L1: 4/6, L2: 3/6, L3: 3/5, L4: 2/5, L5: 4/5, L6: 3/4, L7: 1/2, L8: 1/1 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +8
Skills:
Craft: Alchemy +22, Diplomacy +13, Fly +15, Heal +17, Kn. Arcana/History +24, Kn. Nature +22, Kn. Local +21, Kn. Planes +19, Kn. Religion +12, Spellcraft +24, Swim +6, UMD +14
Female Human l Active Conditions: Mage Armor / Bynx: AC 22, HP: 47/47

"Well, I don't know about flying around above the entire Necropolis but I could always take to the air once we get closer to one of the hotspots," Florence offers. "But it'd be pretty obvious to anything out here that might have more than a few bits of brain matter to rub together. Still, it's an option," she shrugs.

Prepared Spells:

Cantrips - Dancing Lights, Detect Magic, Message, Read Magic
1st - Ear-Piercing Scream, Enlarge Person, Fumbletongue, Mage Armor, Shadow Trap, Snowball + Pearl of Power
2nd - Aid, Fog Cloud, Glitterdust, Hold Person, Lipstitch, See Invisibility + Pearl of Power
3rd - Dispel Magic, Earth Tremor, Heroism x2, Lightning Bolt
4th - Black Tentacles, Blessing of Fervor, Death Ward, Dimension Door, Greater False Life
5th - Befuddled Combatant, Break Enchantment, Hold Monster x2
6th - Cone of Cold, Greater Dispel Magic, True Seeing
7th - Chain Lightning

While everyone gets their bearings and makes preparations for the day ahead, Florence also casts her usual staple of spells as well as designates Stelle as her charge, at least for the time being.

False Life, Greater: 2d10 + 13 ⇒ (6, 7) + 13 = 26

"Should we start at the spot closest to our current position and work our way out?"
______________

Flo casts Death Ward, False Life, Greater, and Mage Armor on herself. Then she'll use her extend-o rod shenanigans to cast Heroism for both Stelle & Zilchus, as well as designate Stelle as the target of her Witch's Charge hex.


Female Halfling Cavalier/15

"Thank you, Florence," Stelle says with a curtsy. Not utilizing her sleeves at the moment, she is very much looking the part of fierce warrior. Well, as fierce as someone 4 foot 2 inches tall can look wielding a lance while perched upon the back of a rather large pharaoh hound.

Florence wrote:
"Should we start at the spot closest to our current position and work our way out?"

Stelle looks at the map. "Well, that sounds like a reasonable approach."


Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet

Over the course of the morning, you head down several paths deep into the Necropolis. The ancient district of the city turned burial site is, as before, choked with sand and crumbling masonry. Some attempts have been made from time to time to clear the major thoroughfares for current burials, but those paths meander to a few sites and areas. For most of it, you spend your time slogging through heavy sand under the hot hot sun.

You do encounter some undead. Quite a few really, but most of it consists of hoards of lesser undead like zombies and skeletons, with the occasional ghoul party thrown in. Few of the so-called ‘intelligent’ undead seem to have remained, or if they are, they’re wisely in hiding. That makes your job rather easy.

At one of the hotspots on the list, you fight a trio of Ubashki Swarms (image). Though they were tough at one time, their tiny cat bites are mere irritations now, and you mop them up without much concern. At another area, a handful of shadows gave you some pause (and perhaps some strength loss) but you dispatch them as well and receive restorations at basecamp to counter their draining effects.

You even face the tougher sunbaked zombie (image). Their corporeal bodies are warped by the sun, and their innards but a dry facsimile of living organs. Sunbaked zombies use the gifts of the sun to lash those who cross their paths with a fiery gaze attack which was most annoying. In the end you found it easier to just soak the small amount of damage and hack them down quickly, but it made every encounter with them into a burning, itchy sensation in all the wrong places.

Finally, you find a tomb listed as one of the hot-spots with a note ”Odd Light”. Surely enough, you find a sarcophagus just oozing with a green light and swirling smoke (image). When you get in there and check it out though, after careful and intense preparation, it’s only an oddly colored green ioun torch (50gp) and a poorly stoppered Eversmoking Bottle (5400gp). You can see why it might be frightening, but in the end it wasn’t much but a little loot.

By lunch, you’ve cleared away all the areas on the list with overwhelming force. You’ve had to expend some healing to be sure, and a few lesser restorations, but all in all you’re feeling pretty proud of yourselves. You’ve come a long way from those first tentative steps into the Necropolis, and can’t imagine what could be so powerful as to stop you now. You also have to admit the church has done a pretty good job of cleaning up after the latest unpleasantness. The hot spots would be tough for lower level guards, but there’s little going on outside those few zones.

The church technically hired you for the day, do you spend the afternoon rooting around for more trouble or emerge victorious?


Zilchus seems slower moving and more deliberate during the combats, as if his stomach is still queasy and he might throw up at any moment. And it's not just the weird undead causing the affect, he might have picked up a flu of some sort...it certainly wasn't the drinking if anyone asks.

The cat swarms seem to bother him the most, as they did last time. Oh man, I completely forgot about Augustus.

The sunbaked zombie's fire seems to wash over Zilchus, for which he is pleased. He's already sweating enough on his own.

"Nidhi,Florence, you remember the last time we were here? Seems like years ago, don't it?"

Zilchus seems inclined to stop, but can be talked into doing more.


Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet

The party heads over to the basecamp at lunch and delivers the map, with every hotspot crossed off! The guards are impressed, they’ve been in here. They know what you faced, and how tough it’d be on them to face - and so quickly. Murmurs spread quickly…

You emerge from the Necropolis and into the hot city streets of Wati, sweaty to be sure, but confident. The Necropolis is safe once again, with only a few lesser undead knocking about its hidden corners. In other words, back to normal - and back to the level the Pharasmin church can handle without difficulty.

You return to Ptemenib to check in and he’s surprised to see you so soon. ”My friends, welcome back! Are you taking a break, or do you have some need I can fulfill for you? Please, sit, let me bring you something cool, and we can converse.” He welcomes you into his somewhat large office, with an old table surrounded by eight chairs. He gestures you to sit, as he disappears into an ante-chamber, returning shortly with a tall pitcher of cool water - fresh from the well, with slices of lemon in each glass.

He joins you at the table, ”Nice office huh? Second largest in the complex, but I tend to meet with groups such as yourselves, and need to be able to spread out a little.” he grins and pours, listening to your tale. It isn't long before a small variety of savory and sweet finger foods appear on the table as well for your comfort.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
HP 140/153 AC 23 24 TAC 12 14 FF 21 23 | CMD 2725 | F +16 R +10 W +19 (immune to poison) | Res 20 fire | WS: 5/6 HH: 14/15 FB: 10/10 L1: 6/7+4/4 L2: 5/7+1/1 L3: 4/7 L4: 1/6 L5: 5/6 L6: 3/5 L7: 2/3 L8: 2/2 Ext: 2/3 Daz: 3/3 | Ini+3 | Senses+22
Skills:
Acro+18,Climb+4,Diplo+1,Fly+7,H.Animal+3,Heal+25,K.dung+16,K.geo+8,K.hist+2 ,K.local+0,K.nat+5,K.nobility+13,K.planes+16,K.relig+2,Linguist+15,P.Orator y+2,S.Motive+7,Spellcr+8,Stealth+14,Surviv+11,Swim+1
Eccentric Garundi Druid (restorer) 15 | longstrider 13h, m.fang 13h, life bubble 4h

Kosei finds out he enjoys much more of expected the life of adventuring, with the fine exercise and the strange creatures discovered in every corner of the Necropolis. The man offers the strength of the deserts for his companions to defeat strange cats, fiery zombies and mysterious tombs "Look at that bottle of smoke! I was just considering to buy one I saw at the bazaar yesterday during my feline promenade!"

Accepting to move on to a more comfortable night camp Kosei follows Zilchus out of the Necropolis.

------------------

Back to Ptemenib offices Kosei attempts to catch one of the slices of lemon "Oh well, it seems my friends became experts on fighting the horrors of the Necropolis. All the tasks are done now oh sage Ptemenib!"

While the details are filled the Garundi profits to sit and enjoy the sweets presented "Ah! So you mean there are many other groups as ourselves?" he looks at Zilchus, Stelle, Florence and Nidhi "Where would you find a more prepared group? These are the strongest and resolved women I have ever met!"


HP: 95/95 l AC: 12 (16), T 12, FF 10 l CMD 20 l F +13, R +11, W +13 l Remedies (8/8) l L1: 4/6, L2: 3/6, L3: 3/5, L4: 2/5, L5: 4/5, L6: 3/4, L7: 1/2, L8: 1/1 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +8
Skills:
Craft: Alchemy +22, Diplomacy +13, Fly +15, Heal +17, Kn. Arcana/History +24, Kn. Nature +22, Kn. Local +21, Kn. Planes +19, Kn. Religion +12, Spellcraft +24, Swim +6, UMD +14
Female Human l Active Conditions: Mage Armor / Bynx: AC 22, HP: 47/47

Sorry for the slowness; got pulled to work some OT the other day and did you know that some antibiotics can cause excessive tiredness? I didn't but I do now!

Zilchus wrote:
"Nidhi,Florence, you remember the last time we were here? Seems like years ago, don't it?"

"Or a lifetime," Florence agrees. "Everything seemed so scary then. Not that it doesn't now but we've definitely gotten stronger for our experiences," she muses.

______________

Back in Ptemenib's office, Florence is only too happy to indulge in the sweet finger foods brought out for their refreshment. "Well, there might still be some of the other groups from the lottery kicking about," she remarks between bites of kanafeh. "Like the Daughters of the Desert! They seemed really nice and fairly seasoned, remember? And news of what happened with the undead uprising probably spread so there were probably plenty of others who came to help out after we had to head to Tephu."


Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet

Ptemenib is impressed by your tale. ”Well done! Well done indeed!” he exclaims. ”So you cleared out all the hotspots. Wonderful. This certainly helps us enormously.” He looks to Kosei, ”Yes I do have other groups.” he looks out the window into the courtyard a moment, but looks back quickly, ”…but none are as good as you lot. That Abdur has an eye for talent does he not?” he laughs pleasantly nodding with Florences assessment.

”Well you’ve certainly earned your fee!” he exclaims, going to a drawer and pulling out a sack of coins. He hands it over and chats amiably with you a while as the sun begins its slow descent and the afternoon wanes on. Eventually, the lemons are gone - as are the sweets, though a few scattered savories remain. He escorts you back out of the church complex and back into the streets. Clapping you on the back he bids farewell and you’re on your own once again.

A few days still remain before you are ready to proceed to the Slave Trenches. Let me know if there’s anything you’d like to do over that time and I’ll move us along.


Gah. Lots of downtime during time when I had time to do things.

Zilchus sips some applejack while others tell Ptemenib about the day. It was pretty easy work, and he chuckles at how scary and difficult it all seemed when they started.

He leans back, speaking little lest his contempt for the Pharasmooks ruin the conversation. He just wishes they were better at their jobs and so he didn't have to go chasing through all the deserts to fix their mistakes.


HP: 95/95 l AC: 12 (16), T 12, FF 10 l CMD 20 l F +13, R +11, W +13 l Remedies (8/8) l L1: 4/6, L2: 3/6, L3: 3/5, L4: 2/5, L5: 4/5, L6: 3/4, L7: 1/2, L8: 1/1 l Init +6 l Senses: Perception +8
Skills:
Craft: Alchemy +22, Diplomacy +13, Fly +15, Heal +17, Kn. Arcana/History +24, Kn. Nature +22, Kn. Local +21, Kn. Planes +19, Kn. Religion +12, Spellcraft +24, Swim +6, UMD +14
Female Human l Active Conditions: Mage Armor / Bynx: AC 22, HP: 47/47

"That was a productive way to kill some time," Florence remarks as they emerge into the late afternoon sun after their meeting with Ptemenib. "But we've still got a few days before everyone's equipment will be ready, right?"

She furrows her brow in thought, trying to think of other things that could be done to while away the time. Then, she snaps her fingers.

"Hey! Do they have a spa here? I've always wanted to try one! If they do, maybe we could go tomorrow?"


HP 140/153 AC 23 24 TAC 12 14 FF 21 23 | CMD 2725 | F +16 R +10 W +19 (immune to poison) | Res 20 fire | WS: 5/6 HH: 14/15 FB: 10/10 L1: 6/7+4/4 L2: 5/7+1/1 L3: 4/7 L4: 1/6 L5: 5/6 L6: 3/5 L7: 2/3 L8: 2/2 Ext: 2/3 Daz: 3/3 | Ini+3 | Senses+22
Skills:
Acro+18,Climb+4,Diplo+1,Fly+7,H.Animal+3,Heal+25,K.dung+16,K.geo+8,K.hist+2 ,K.local+0,K.nat+5,K.nobility+13,K.planes+16,K.relig+2,Linguist+15,P.Orator y+2,S.Motive+7,Spellcr+8,Stealth+14,Surviv+11,Swim+1
Eccentric Garundi Druid (restorer) 15 | longstrider 13h, m.fang 13h, life bubble 4h

Kosei will spend more time shifted into a black cat, further making himself acquaintance of the city of Waki. He is interested to understand the people of his tribe and his brothers, all in all, those he fights to protect.

During the night he turns to exchange tales and eat sweet dinners with the group, while early morning he checks up with the craftwoman that promised retouching his headband to enhance the Garundi's wisdom.


Female Halfling Cavalier/15

For the Ubashki Swarm, Stelle umounts, swatting at the annoying creatures and their tiny kitten-like milk teeth while Anubis snaps several of their necks and spines, crushing them to pulp in his enormous maw.

She doesn't quite have as much fun with the sunbaked zombies however, overcome by itching, and what may be a permanent sunburn on Anubis' otherwise white blaze. "Their spleens don't even gleam," she says disappointedly.

GM Euan wrote:
... it’s only an oddly colored green ioun torch (50gp) and a poorly stoppered Eversmoking Bottle (5400gp) ...

At the sarcophagus Stelle slumps in her saddle. Shoulders sagging and head listing to the side in boredom with the scene she says, "Is this a necropolis, or an art museum?"

GM Euan wrote:
”My friends, welcome back! Are you taking a break, or do you have some need I can fulfill for you? Please, sit, let me bring you something cool, and we can converse.”

A break? For snacks? It does seem kind of early... She helps herself to some water and cucumber sandwiches and sweets while the others relay the foray.

Ptemenib wrote:
”So you cleared out all the hotspots. Wonderful. This certainly helps us enormously.”

Stelle slumps in her chair while Anubis briefly pauses in his gorging on water to snort. She tries to her best to smile and not look disappointed. That was really all? It was more of a challenge last time around. This time it was a holiday. Maybe I should retire... take up training my own Cavalry...

Florence wrote:
"Hey! Do they have a spa here? I've always wanted to try one! If they do, maybe we could go tomorrow?"

"Ooh! OH! Yes, that sounds like a great way to spend a day. Melon on the eyelids, that volcanic rock foot rub, nails buffed to a brilliant shine -- every aching muscle coaxed into relaxation... And then we can find a crocodile-free pool of water to keep cool in while we sip frozen drinks!" Please let there be a spa and pool!


Stats:
HP 73/73 | AC 14 Tch 14 FF 10 | Fort +7 Ref +18 Will +14 | Init +3 | Bardic Perf 39/day | Never Fear RING | Perc +19 | Dis Dvce +22 +5 | Diplo +23 | Sense Motive +19 | Perform +27
Neutral Human Bard/14

Nidhi feels a bit guilty for not living up to their full potential in the Necropolis. She thought with their party's various skills and abilities, they probably could have returned a few more sentient undead to their eternal slumber. They probably had the most experience with that sort of thing. Still, Nidhi is happy to be back in Wati where she feels safe and at home.

Nidhi tilts her head, "is there a spa in Wati? Probably some kind of fancy bathhouse in Tephu..." She hesitates, but what about the ghouls and the giant worm still present in the Necropolis? She feels a sense of duty to her fellow Wati residents, a duty that prolongs her guity of not working harder earlier that day. Despite her inner turmoil, Nidhi keeps her concerns to herself. She was the last person to spoil someone else's fun, mostly.

"I could always go for some high-quality honey on a slice of freshly baked pita." She sticks a finger in her mouth, "and I enjoy a good pampering." Nidhi smiles, "we should definately do it if there is such a place." She tries to recall if there is a spa-like place in Wati or Tephu.

Knowledge (Local) Wati: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25

Then, Nidhi thinks about Tephu. Using Lore Master Special.

Lore Master: Can take a 10 on any Knowledge that has ranks in. In addition, TWICE (level 11) per day, bard can take 20 on any Knowledge skill check as a Standard Action


Spa day? What? No. Today is a good drinking day, I think.

Zilchus looks up, trying to think if he wants a spa day and decides not. He shrugs, and goes back to his cups and his thoughts.

”You guys go on without me. I’ll be here. Or over there...” Zilchus points under a quiet table that looks like it would be good for sleeping.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Roll20 Map - Treasure Sheet

The party has a most pleasant several days while your remaining items are procured. You now have all paid for magics. It is now Arodus 7, 4714 - the start of the hottest month of the year.

Florence, Nidhi, and Stelle spend some of their time in Wati’s mud-bath spas along the river banks. Nidhi knows that the Sphinx is a holy river, as well as being the life-blood of much of the Osirion civilization - so you have lots of choices. There are a variety of spa options, many of them deeply spiritual affairs, and others merely mud baths. Tephu has some as well, but all in all, Nidhi feels the ones in Wati are superior. In the end, the ladies are most refreshed, and their skin is tighter than it has felt in an age. The glow is palpable.

Kosei spends his days as a cat, and his evenings partying with the party. He learns a fondness for the generally peaceful people of Wati. He finds it a quieter, more law abiding community than he’d been led to believe. Until he spends some time in the Veins* where he finds he must be a little more agile to avoid some of the thrown objects by the various nefarious thieves and smugglers in the area who clearly haven’t read the Cats of Ulthar.

Zilchus meanwhile spends part of his week enjoying his applejack and easily watching people go by about their business. It's quite peaceful and there's an energy to the streets, below - or maybe above - the general hubbub. It's as intoxicating as the liquor, but far more elusive. In his quiet he finds it though, as he takes another drink.

* The Veins:
Nestled between Midwife and Bargetown, Wati’s harbor district stacks block upon block with woodcarvers, tar kilns, warehouses, and whatever shanties can be crammed between them. Its myriad shallow canals breed unabating clouds of insects, the bites of which spot the bodies of the locals, who stain their hands and cheeks with pitch to repel the pests. Ahmeb Tekhra (human M) was appointed by the previous haty-a to oversee the district, but rumor has it he has long since sold his loyalty to Wati’s various smuggling gangs, most notably the Fading and the once powerful Silver Chain (largely destroyed and scattered by the party a month or so ago).
- - -

Feel free to continue to back-fill the week if you like, but wanted to get us moving again. We’ve been a little slow. I believe the plan is to take the ship up river, then over the dunes, to the Slave Trenches of Hakotep. Let me know your plans and general preparation. Abdur has already said he’d load you up with provisions and general supplies (tents and the like - though the ship can be fitted with tent-like canvass as well) so you don’t need to worry about that level of detail.

6,251 to 6,300 of 8,104 << first < prev | 121 | 122 | 123 | 124 | 125 | 126 | 127 | 128 | 129 | 130 | 131 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Euan's Mummy's Mask All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.