Balodek's Ironfang Invasion

Game Master Balodek

Ironfang Invasion GM'd by Balodek

Treasure Sheet

Refugee Camp Spreadsheet

Nesmian Plains

Chernasardo

Caves

Ruins

Current Battle


701 to 750 of 3,278 << first < prev | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | next > last >>
Dark Archive

Male Human 8 | HP 91/91 | AC 26;TCH 11; FF 25 | F +9; R +5; W+13 | CMB +8; CMD 19 | Init +1; Perc +17; SM +5

Bor doesn't advance but rather continues to watch as see what Zeke does. Edran may not have been acting alone.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6

He gets a bit closer to Zeke, about 20 feet away.


Half Elf Horn Dude 9 AC 20/17/14 / HP75 / F +8 R +7 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +14/ Sense Motive +18/Diplo +18 Nature+11 Local+12 Arcana/Geog/Dung+9

"Edran, I'm just trying to save our people. You tell us when the hobgobs are coming and we'll let you go after we take them out. Simple deal, Edran. You can walk away free," Bazsil implores the man. "But we need to know when they are coming. When? We're trying to save lives here."

1d20 + 11 - 1 ⇒ (11) + 11 - 1 = 21 Diplomacy


Human | AC 14(18) FF 11(15) T 14(18)| HP 71/71 | F +7 R +8 W +9 | Initiative +7 | Perc. +15 | Sense Motive +1

”Confess Edran.” Krowe demands as he approaches, an anger like hot metal in his eyes. ”Confess before it is too late. The wolf is nearly done with your handiwork, and it will hunger for more.”

Not sure if intimidate will aid or hinder Bazsil’s approach. I’ll try to treat this as an aid another check.
Aid Bazsil: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18

Shadow Lodge

Sorry for the delay guys, I'm apparently no longer of an age where I can drive 600 miles to a metal concert then get 2 hours of sleep and function the next day.

Edran wets himself in terror as the demon dog turns to him.

"Alright, alright! Please don't hurt me."

He sobs, a broken man surrounded by murderers.

"I'm not working for the Legion, I'm not Taldan I'm a Molthuni spy. The Legion doesn't know you're here; those markers were to help me make my way out of this accursed hovel and back to Molthune."

The crowd goes from fear of the wolf and Krowe to anger and hatred for Edran. Jet speaks up.

"He can't say here, and neither can we. Let's kill him and pack up. I hope that logging camp is as safe as you say."

Bor & Faolan:

Zeke seems confused by this statement, and his brow is furrowed in apparent concern.


Half Elf Horn Dude 9 AC 20/17/14 / HP75 / F +8 R +7 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +14/ Sense Motive +18/Diplo +18 Nature+11 Local+12 Arcana/Geog/Dung+9

Bazsil weighs the man's words carefully. He does not seem prone to listen to Jet's advice.

1d20 + 11 - 1 ⇒ (19) + 11 - 1 = 29 Sense Motive

"Aubrin, those markings...and this guy. Why would the Molthuni have a spy here? Does that make sense?"

Dark Archive

Male Human 8 | HP 91/91 | AC 26;TCH 11; FF 25 | F +9; R +5; W+13 | CMB +8; CMD 19 | Init +1; Perc +17; SM +5

Bor drops his thoughts on Zeke. [i]Nah, he didn't do anything."[/b] The large mysterious man pushes his way through the crowd. He grabs Edran by the shoulder and drags him to his feet. "Up! Don't be a coward."

Bor's head snaps around to Jet. "We are better than that. He won't die by our hands. That would make us no better than the goblins." Though in truth he wasn't quite sure what to do with him just yet.

He looks Edran in the eyes. "Why were you sent to spy?"


AC 30 Flat 20 Touch 16 | HP 83/83 | F+9 R +9 W +8 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | Sense Motive +12

Faolan doesn't trust Zeke, but for now Edran is the threat. He studies the man as he listens to his story. Something about it feels off to him - or maybe it's just Zeke's reaction.

He scans the crowd to make sure there are no others edging away in fear.
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27

Shadow Lodge

Bazsil:

You sense he is telling the truth.

Aubrin replies to Bazsil, "It makes sense to me, but I don't know why he's here."

Faolan:

Some of the citizens are backing up in fear but it is primarily those with children attempting to get them away from the violence.

Edran looks at Bazsil in contempt mixed with fear.

"I wasn't sent to spy on you, you podunk half-man. I was traveling to better places and got trapped here by the Legion attack."


Human | AC 14(18) FF 11(15) T 14(18)| HP 71/71 | F +7 R +8 W +9 | Initiative +7 | Perc. +15 | Sense Motive +1

”You have admitted to being a spy for Molthune. Why should we believe you? The Legion once marched to the glimmer of Molthuni gold. Their scouts likely have experience with the sort of trail signs you have made. If your intentions were innocent you wouldn’t have concealed them.” Krowe moves close and demands more. ”What secrets have you rooted out as a spy? Do you know things about Nirmathas? Do you know more about the Legion than you have admitted?”

Krowe begins to check Edran’s pockets, looking for anything unusual.

Take 20 on Perception = 21. Krowe is not the most perceptive man. Someone else could probably do a better job of searching him.

Dark Archive

Male Human 8 | HP 91/91 | AC 26;TCH 11; FF 25 | F +9; R +5; W+13 | CMB +8; CMD 19 | Init +1; Perc +17; SM +5

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8

Bor just seems to hold Edran steady, not paying but the slightest of attention to what is being pulled out of his pockets. With each jerk Bor holds him in tighter. As he lips off to Bazsil, calling him a podunk half man, Bor cracks him in the side of his ear.

Unarmed Strike NL Damage: 1d20 + 4 - 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 - 4 = 9
Damage: 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4

"That'll be enough of that!" He barks. "Now just answer the questions."


Half Elf Horn Dude 9 AC 20/17/14 / HP75 / F +8 R +7 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +14/ Sense Motive +18/Diplo +18 Nature+11 Local+12 Arcana/Geog/Dung+9

Bazsil doesn't react well when Bor strikes the mouthy spy.

"C'mon guys, that ain't necessary. I'd like to keep my promise to this guy," Bazsil tries to smooth out the ruffling of feathers, though he is somewhat irked at being called 'podunk'.

Bazsil looks around, wondering if there is anything else to be done here.

"Sounds like there isn't going to be an imminent attack here," Bazsil begins to form a plan. "Let's tie this guy up for the night. Tomorrow, we move out to the lumber camp, just in case. We'll let this guy go on the way tomorrow. Seems about right. We'll need watches, of course, both on him and just in case."


AC 30 Flat 20 Touch 16 | HP 83/83 | F+9 R +9 W +8 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | Sense Motive +12

Faolan doesn't like the idea of letting this guy go, but that is the deal they made, so he swallows his complaints and focuses on the camp. There is much to do to prepare to depart. They have a small herd now, in addition to the people - he imagines there will be a large, easy to follow trail to the lumber camp and he wonders how to hide it.

Maybe we send the herd in front, so the shuffle of the people will hide some of their tracks. Then our rangers, such as they are, follow behind hiding what they can and misdirecting where they must.

He will try and spend the day working with, or at least near, Zeke. He tries not to be obvious, but he wants to keep an eye on him as he still doesn't trust him.

Shadow Lodge

Edran shrugs and looks sullenly at Krowe, seemingly unwilling to cooperate. A search of his pockets reveals several rations and a crude map of the camp and immediate area. Based on the notes you find on the map he was planning on stealing some supplies and fleeing camp soon.

***

The night passes fitfully, each of you lost in thoughts of betrayal, jumping at each noise in fear of a hobgoblin war party. Those patrolling the outside see nothing unusual but there is a tension in the air.

Edran remains roped in the morning, alive and angry but he keeps his silence as he has all night.


AC 30 Flat 20 Touch 16 | HP 83/83 | F+9 R +9 W +8 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | Sense Motive +12

Faolan hopes Bazsil is feeling better this day as he rises with the camp. He helps people get their things together and pushes the goats to the front of the group, behind the party of course - who he assumes will act as scouts.

Out of earshot of the others, save the party, he asks, "So how are we freeing Edran? Just cut him loose with a little food and water and let him go his merry way?"


Half Elf Horn Dude 9 AC 20/17/14 / HP75 / F +8 R +7 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +14/ Sense Motive +18/Diplo +18 Nature+11 Local+12 Arcana/Geog/Dung+9

1d20 + 5 - 1 ⇒ (1) + 5 - 1 = 5 Fort vs. DC 15

Bazsil is still a bit sore and achy in the morning, but is happy that there was no attack and that Edran wasn’t slain during the night.

”I think we should let him go now. Let him take the food he stored away and go. We don’t want him to know where we will be going. I’d just have him go,” Bazsil answers Faolan as he tries to recover his strength.

Waiting to see if Bor or Krowe want to push on plans for moving camp and about Edran.

Bazsil tries a bit to support everyone’s spirits despite his ill feeling.

1d20 + 11 - 1 ⇒ (19) + 11 - 1 = 29 Diplomacy for good morale


Human | AC 14(18) FF 11(15) T 14(18)| HP 71/71 | F +7 R +8 W +9 | Initiative +7 | Perc. +15 | Sense Motive +1

Krowe sat near the fire until it dwindled to embers. He watched Edran, trying to decide what to do. The man had bargained for his life with a confession, and Krowe did not willingly abandon agreements, even when he was left a raw deal. As night fell a thought occurred to Krowe.

Given enough rope, a desperate man could hang himself

Pulling his coat close against the night air he settled in to wait for an opportunity. But sleep took him first.

***

Krowe woke in the morning, huddled and stiff beside the smoldering fire. He felt worse than Edran looked.

At Faolan’s suggestion, Krowe shakes his head. ”I never agreed to free Edran. Only to let him live. He knows where we are headed. Even if he isn’t working for the Legion, there is a chance that the Legion could capture him. I am sure he would turn on us quickly in their hands. We should bring him along but keep him secured in manacles. If he knows other Molthuni trail signs we should have him teach them to us.”

”On another note, I am not convinced the logging camp is the best destination for the camp to move to. We don’t know that the Legion was responsible for raising the dead, but we saw hobgoblin tracks there. I propose we move to the Shiny House today, and then scout the cave on the centaur map.”

Dark Archive

Male Human 8 | HP 91/91 | AC 26;TCH 11; FF 25 | F +9; R +5; W+13 | CMB +8; CMD 19 | Init +1; Perc +17; SM +5

Come morning Bor is still conflicted. After all he was the one that vouched for him when he first ran into him several days ago. Seeing him tied to the tree causes his guts to go into a knot.

"Krowe is right. He already knows where we area headed to." He sneers beneath his scarf. "We have to bring him along. There is too much at stake. Too risky for him to go running to the Molthuni."

This was his fault after all. His misfortune strikes again. "We act either way and it could split the camp." He turns to Aubrin. "What do you think?"


Half Elf Horn Dude 9 AC 20/17/14 / HP75 / F +8 R +7 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +14/ Sense Motive +18/Diplo +18 Nature+11 Local+12 Arcana/Geog/Dung+9

”Yeah, I did say he would walk away free, Krowe. I intend to hold to that. It doesn’t have to be now, but it will be,” Bazsil responds, hoping he doesn’t have to choose something he’d rather not choose. ”I’m not on a side in any war. I have no more feelings for Molthuni nor Nirmathas nor anyplace else. Spies might be spies, but I don’t have a side in them. Especially not now that we’re in this situation. Especially if that spy might have a human army that might be helpful in driving back these hobgobs.”

Assuming we’re well out of earshot of others.

”I’m okay with saying we’re doing to the lumber yard, but going to the Shiny House. That’s reason enough to let the spy go here. Especially if he thinks we’re going to the wrong spot. If he does give us up, the information won’t be accurate. He’ll pay for that. But that’s on him.”

Bazsil ponders more.

”I think we should say we’re going to the lumber camp, pack up this place, let the spy go, then go to the Shiny House, hiding our trail as best we can. From there, we scout that cave, like Krowe says.”


AC 30 Flat 20 Touch 16 | HP 83/83 | F+9 R +9 W +8 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | Sense Motive +12

"I'm not a fan of letting him go, but I understand the desire to do so. If we're going to let him go, I say do it now. The longer he's with us, the more he knows, and the more trouble he can cause."

"Once we let him go, I'm fine going to the shiny house for a time, but I doubt we can camp there long term. It's just too small a structure to be of much use save as dry storage. We need cover. I say we let the guy go today, get most of the camp working on tents or other protection we can bring with us from here. We leave for the house tomorrow."

I figure we can't build proper shelters until we get there, but maybe, with a days preparation here, we can get a circumstance bonus on the rolls to build shelter when we get there?


Human | AC 14(18) FF 11(15) T 14(18)| HP 71/71 | F +7 R +8 W +9 | Initiative +7 | Perc. +15 | Sense Motive +1

Krowe clearly dislikes the idea of letting Edran go, but he doesn’t push his companions.

”Let’s begin preparations to move the camp. When we are ready, we can leave Edran here, lashed to a small tree with a dagger and tied with enough rope to make cutting himself free a long process.”

Krowe then approaches Edran and explains their plan...

”...so we will leave you here, tied to a tree. If you cooperate and describe the Molthuni trail signs you know then we will leave you a knife to cut yourself free and some food so you don’t starve. Agreed?”

Krowe spends some time with Edran, and remains behind the refugees when they leave to both set false trails leading northwest and cover real ones that head northeast.

Survival to hide tracks: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21

GM:
Had to burn an arcane point to use quick study to switch a daze for message.

Hanging back from the refugees, Krowe takes up position at a distance (120 feet) behind the tree Edran is tied to. A few minutes after the refugees are gone Krowe will cast a message spell, do his best to disguise his voice, and whisper to Edran in the goblin language.

”Can you understand me, human? Where do the others go, and why have they left you behind?”

Bluff: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20

Dark Archive

Male Human 8 | HP 91/91 | AC 26;TCH 11; FF 25 | F +9; R +5; W+13 | CMB +8; CMD 19 | Init +1; Perc +17; SM +5

"I have no love for Molthuni nor Nirmathas either but if it comes down to my life and being overrun by the goblins then I choose one man's life over the many, including my own." Bor says to the others as his voice raises a little.

Hearing of a little better plan eases him slightly. "That shack was awful small but perhaps after speaking with this centaur clan we can find our own section to secure in the cave."

He works on helping to break down the tents and shamble of structures.

Shadow Lodge

The bartender stumbles from the back room, a haze of mead and stacks of cards following him. Bwuah?

Aubrin nods.

"It's a good plan. Not sure about this cave but if it is big enough to hold us that would be plenty hidden. Don't much care for leaving this spy alive, but that's your choice and I won't gainsay it in front of the others."

You make preparations for the move and tie Edran to a tree.

"I can teach you a few of the signs but there are dozens. Do you intend to stay here all day learning? And how do you know I'll teach you the right ones?"

I assume you will question him further, threaten etc., eventually he will teach you the signs for shelter and danger, but there are far too many and too complicated to know all.

You spend a half day packing the camp and herd, then moving carefully towards the shiny house.

I will allow a +2 bonus to build some temporary structures and shore up the roof of the shiny house. You should be able to build enough temporary storage and shelter for a day or two, but as you've noted the location is not secure and barely adequate to your needs.

You put the dried meat back in the shed, adding your stores to the structure to keep them dry. You've accumulated enough food to last several days without scavenging so do not feel the bite of the journey yet. Many of the villagers are happy to be moving to a new location. The swamp was hidden but hardly comfortable.

Bazsil keeps spirits high and Krowe keeps tracks hidden as you make your way there.

Krowe:

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15

Edran replies in goblin.

"They're heading to some lumber camp, on the other side of the forest."

You spend the day traveling to the new house, hiding your trail, and then unpacking some basic structures and penning your animals in again. No foraging this day but you do have enough to build temporary shelter for everybody. Most of them are little more than tents and tarps spread over trees but they'll suffice for now.


Human | AC 14(18) FF 11(15) T 14(18)| HP 71/71 | F +7 R +8 W +9 | Initiative +7 | Perc. +15 | Sense Motive +1

GM:

Krowe is tempted to summon a wolf to finish the spy, but instead pushes him with a threat.
”Such a cooperative human. We were going to add you to our slaves, but as a show of mercy, we will offer you a quick death instead.”


Half Elf Horn Dude 9 AC 20/17/14 / HP75 / F +8 R +7 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +14/ Sense Motive +18/Diplo +18 Nature+11 Local+12 Arcana/Geog/Dung+9

Bazsil walks around a bit, stretching his still-weakened legs and hoping that his strength with will return soon enough. He is pleased the company made the move to the Shiny House so easily, and without any threats. He only feels slightly more comfortable here and knows this locale might only stay safe for a few more days before they might need to move again.

"Faolan, if what Oberon says is correct, we might be needing to move every few weeks. We won't ever have a permanent home...because if we did and the hobgobs found it, we wouldn't stand a chance. Is that right? We have to keep moving?" Bazsil asks, wishing that his thoughts might not be correct.

After his discussion with Faolan, he goes to find Krowe when he's around the house.

"What do you say we hit the cave on the morrow? I can perhaps get another scroll created with the remaining light today."

Scribe another scroll of 4x CLW. -50 gp. Faolan, track to party loot sheet? That's 7xCLW and 1x Identify in total.

Dark Archive

Male Human 8 | HP 91/91 | AC 26;TCH 11; FF 25 | F +9; R +5; W+13 | CMB +8; CMD 19 | Init +1; Perc +17; SM +5

Reaching the small house Bor stretches and removes his armor. He dumps everything in the corner of the building. Nothing remains in a neat stack by any means. Leaning against the corner of the door he scratches his back. A scratch that has has been there for several hours now but just couldn't reach it.

"Yea, let's spend the day setting up the camp and getting everyone situated with assignments. We can leave for the cave at first light."

Survival: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24

Bor heads over and begins to put up some temporary shade and roof from the elements for folks. Though in the back of his mind the Hobgoblin forces already have them surrounded.

Shadow Lodge

Krowe:

The man struggles against his bonds but doesn't answer further, the threat of death seems to have spurred him to escape.

You spend the rest of the day/night settling in and setting up patrols, watching for any threat of the Legion and any further sign of betrayal. Zeke quietly approaches Faolan.

"Say, this isn't the lumber camp. I know you didn't say anything before, but what really happened there? I didn't see any of the loggers return with you."


Human | AC 14(18) FF 11(15) T 14(18)| HP 71/71 | F +7 R +8 W +9 | Initiative +7 | Perc. +15 | Sense Motive +1

GM:
Using a vanish spell Krowe sneaks up and takes the food left for Edran and leaves him to whatever fate the Fangwood has in store for him.

Krowe stays to the back of the refugee band as they make their way to the Shiny House, and spends more time covering their tracks while shelters are built and the group is settled.

Encountering Bazsil, Krowe agrees with his suggestion to seek out the cave the next day. ”Let’s settle in with the camp tonight. We should inform them that the Lumber Camp was only a ruse proposed for Edran’s sake. I think they trust you the most, if you want to announce our true plan this evening.”

Krowe will support any efforts Bazsil makes to bolster morale in the camp.

Diplomacy aid another: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26


AC 30 Flat 20 Touch 16 | HP 83/83 | F+9 R +9 W +8 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | Sense Motive +12
Bazsil Grimalkin wrote:
"Faolan, if what Oberon says is correct, we might be needing to move every few weeks. We won't ever have a permanent home...because if we did and the hobgobs found it, we wouldn't stand a chance. Is that right? We have to keep moving?" Bazsil asks, wishing that his thoughts might not be correct.

Faolan takes a deep breath, thinks a moment, and lets it out in a sigh, "Yeah, I expect we'll be moving around a lot. Maybe even covering the same ground more than once. We've a large crew here, but not much fighting stock. Mostly we have to keep them safe and, eventually, start making forays against the goblins."

He shakes his head though, not really seeing any good way to do that with such a burden on their backs.

I'll take 50gp off the group sheet, but the group isn't tracking the scrolls - right?

Balodek wrote:
"Say, this isn't the lumber camp. I know you didn't say anything before, but what really happened there? I didn't see any of the loggers return with you."

"It was overrun. We'll be headed there eventually - this is just a temporary stop I think. Might be we head somewhere else - that's what we're off to investigate tomorrow." he replies simply and to the point.


Half Elf Horn Dude 9 AC 20/17/14 / HP75 / F +8 R +7 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +14/ Sense Motive +18/Diplo +18 Nature+11 Local+12 Arcana/Geog/Dung+9
Faolan Baran wrote:
I'll take 50gp off the group sheet, but the group isn't tracking the scrolls - right?

Totes, Bazsil has the wand of clw (17/21 charges) and the scrolls tracked on his alias.

At some point after he's finished scribing the scrolls, Bazsil speaks to the group on behalf of the party and Aubrin. He smiles brightly and smudges of ink are clearly evident on his hands and right cheek (damn mosquito) as his skill with magical inks aren't quite polished and probably never will be.

"Friends, you've probably noticed that this isn't the lumber camp," he addresses the group with his deep, resonating voice. "We said we were going to the lumber camp so Edran and then switched to here in case Edran is going to betray us. Nothing wrong in being careful."

"Tomorrow, we continue with our assigned tasks. We'll get to the lumber camp eventually. I don't know that we'll be able to make a permanent home anytime soon, so we might be moving around a bit to keep ourselves safe until we can take back the town."

1d20 + 11 - 1 ⇒ (11) + 11 - 1 = 21 Diplomacy - raise spirits

"If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. We're alive, have a decent store of food, and will be finding ways to strike back at the camp soon enough. Now, let's relax and revel in the comforts we have."

* * *

1d20 + 5 - 1 ⇒ (16) + 5 - 1 = 20 Fort vs. DC 15

In the morning, Bazsil feels that he has most of his strength back and will be ready to go to the cave after breakfast.

Shadow Lodge

I've updated the camp sheet to account for one fewer person. Due to the way I setup the formulas I had to set your contribution to negative so the total would be right going forward. Once we hear from Bor and you've a chance to decide how you want them to act for the day I'll push.

Zeke looks at Faolan with sadness at the news the camp was overrun.

"Korus, the leader of Gristledown, was a friend of mine. You found no trace of him at all? No sign of what happened? He'd not have gone down without a fight."

Dark Archive

Male Human 8 | HP 91/91 | AC 26;TCH 11; FF 25 | F +9; R +5; W+13 | CMB +8; CMD 19 | Init +1; Perc +17; SM +5

The group finds Bor helping build temporary shelter, though most of teh community has already begun as he has shown them several times on how to shore the walls and secure some roofing against the elements.

Grabbing an axe from the younger boy Bor grabs a branch and heads over to the group. He slowly whittles away at one end, sharpening it to a point. "If we are spending the night here we should begin working on setting up some sore of defenses for them. Maybe even a few spear traps and pits some distance out so we will know if anyone not from the camp is approaching." He holds the makeshift spear up and hands it back to the boy, smiling beneath his scarf.


AC 30 Flat 20 Touch 16 | HP 83/83 | F+9 R +9 W +8 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | Sense Motive +12
Balodek wrote:

Zeke looks at Faolan with sadness at the news the camp was overrun.

"Korus, the leader of Gristledown, was a friend of mine. You found no trace of him at all? No sign of what happened? He'd not have gone down without a fight."

"We buried many, Korus may have been among them. Or some may have been taken prisoner or escaped as well. I do not know. It may be you'll see him again in time. Let us hope shall we?"

Later, when Bor suggests trapping and setting defenses, Faolan cautions him. "We do not have the time for such things now. We need to press on to the cave and see what we can learn there. We may only be camped here a day or two - I'd hate to spend that entire time fortifying."

"We spent a day getting here and sheltering the crowd. We have some food, but not much, and so we need to find our next home." He grows frustrated, "At this rate we'll spend our entire time moving from place to place and trying to hide from the hoards at our doorstep. At some point they will find us if we don't go after them first."

"Let's see what this cave has to offer. If it is a decent place, we can camp there and spend some days building whatever you want. Then we must find a way to take the fight to the enemy or we will eventually be found and overrun by superior numbers and combat strength."

"While we're gone, let's have the bulk forage as usual and the rest keep their eyes open for trouble. Hopefully the next day, we can all head to the cave - or to the lumber camp."

Faolan sleeps well, and rises early, ready and eager to head to the cave.

I've adjusted the spreadsheet for a suggested plan. Extra scouting as well as the usual foraging and herd hunting.


Half Elf Horn Dude 9 AC 20/17/14 / HP75 / F +8 R +7 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +14/ Sense Motive +18/Diplo +18 Nature+11 Local+12 Arcana/Geog/Dung+9
Balodek wrote:

Zeke looks at Faolan with sadness at the news the camp was overrun.

"Korus, the leader of Gristledown, was a friend of mine. You found no trace of him at all? No sign of what happened? He'd not have gone down without a fight."

Faolan Baran wrote:

"We buried many, Korus may have been among them. Or some may have been taken prisoner or escaped as well. I do not know. It may be you'll see him again in time. Let us hope shall we?"

I've adjusted the spreadsheet for a suggested plan. Extra scouting as well as the usual foraging and herd hunting.

Bazsil overhears, and shakes his head, not recalling any particular man in the mounds of remains they buried.

At least we gave them a good, proper Erastilian burial. They will hunt again in the next life.

Bazsil agrees with Faolan's suggested work orders and appreciates the man's diligence in keeping track of all the workers and needed jobs. Bazsil isn't a detail guy.

Shadow Lodge

You gather your supplies and your map, leaving instructions for the villagers as you prepare your journey. Making good time through the forest you encounter no hostile creatures, and soon after your midday meal come to the rocky region in which the cave is supposedly located. After a brief period of searching, combined with the map you obtained from the centaur, you see a cave entrance partially hidden by roots.


Half Elf Horn Dude 9 AC 20/17/14 / HP75 / F +8 R +7 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +14/ Sense Motive +18/Diplo +18 Nature+11 Local+12 Arcana/Geog/Dung+9

Bazsil examines the roots, wondering how a centaur could fit in or how roots could block the entrance. He looks to Bor and shrugs.

"I think this is it. Shall we enter?" Bazsil readies his sword, casting Dancing Lights and is ready to enter. He sets the balls of light one atop each of the party's heads...and will recast as necessary (unless someone has a longer lasting light source).

He will follow Faolan in when he is reayd.

Dark Archive

Male Human 8 | HP 91/91 | AC 26;TCH 11; FF 25 | F +9; R +5; W+13 | CMB +8; CMD 19 | Init +1; Perc +17; SM +5

Bor had only heard stories of centaurs. "Maybe they have control over the forest?" He asks with a bit of hesitation in his voice. Sighing he grabs the roots and holds them open for all to enter.


Human | AC 14(18) FF 11(15) T 14(18)| HP 71/71 | F +7 R +8 W +9 | Initiative +7 | Perc. +15 | Sense Motive +1

Survival (to find tracks): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14

”Let’s check the perimeter first.” Krowe suggests and examines the area for signs of passage from other visitors.

If the coast looks clear Krowe will cast mage armor and be ready to follow the mercs.


AC 30 Flat 20 Touch 16 | HP 83/83 | F+9 R +9 W +8 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | Sense Motive +12

Faolan waits while Krowe checks for tracks. He stays out of the way as much as possible, but aids where he can.

Survival: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11 vs DC 10 to aid.

When the group is ready, he shoulders his shield and proceeds into the cave - glad for Bazsil's light.

Shadow Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.

The area around the cave mouth does show signs of frequent use.

I should have specified but the cave mouth about 4 feet, it might fit a centaur who crouched but probably not a camel.

What tracks you do find show unshod feet with 4 long toes tipped by claws.

K. Local DC 11:

The tracks belong to troglodytes, a particularly odious breed of reptilian humanoid. In the Goblin tongue they are known as "spasis".

Spelling up you proceed.

Beyond the tangle of roots shading the cave entrance, a narrow tunnel slopes sharply down. The tips of tree roots protrude from the ceiling like stained teeth. Faint light from outside catches on a streak of cloudy teal crystal running along the length of one wall. Bulbous brown and purple fungal growths sprout from the ground, and an unpleasant, faintly sulfurous odor hangs in the air.

Perception:

Bor: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24
Bazsil: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17
Faolan: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15
Krowe: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13

The ceiling here is 4 feet high. As you move in you all see a man sized purple fungus growing against one wall. Unfortunately the minimal light source you are using means it also reacts to you, beginning a wailing shriek that fills the cavern and makes it hard to hear. The tunnel continues deeper and you are sure anything down there has been alerted.

Human, Half-elf, Human, Human. One Low light, Dancing Lights is 10 foot radius. Bazsil can see 20 feet. Bazsil may be near the front but as he is not normally in the lead and does not have Survival he probably wouldn't be able to identify the hazard before it triggers.


Half Elf Horn Dude 9 AC 20/17/14 / HP75 / F +8 R +7 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +14/ Sense Motive +18/Diplo +18 Nature+11 Local+12 Arcana/Geog/Dung+9

Baz's percept is now +7.

1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20 Know (Local) -Special attacks? DRs?

Bazsil looks at the tracks, then sniffs around them, recoiling a bit. "Trogs, I think. Odious humanoids, we should be careful."

As the alarm is sounded, Baszil looks for place to make a stand, looking for a rock or stalact(m)ite to hide behind.

"We may want to ready for trouble."


Human | AC 14(18) FF 11(15) T 14(18)| HP 71/71 | F +7 R +8 W +9 | Initiative +7 | Perc. +15 | Sense Motive +1

Knowledge Local: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10

”Trogs? Sounds familiar but I can’t quite recall much about them. I can do something about the light in here though.”

Krowe casts a spell, creating an additional set of dancing lights that he sends forward to light the path ahead.


AC 30 Flat 20 Touch 16 | HP 83/83 | F+9 R +9 W +8 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | Sense Motive +12

My perception also went up by 1 to 8. Thanks.

Faolan steps up to the shrieking mushroom and squashes it with his shield, repeatedly, until it stops making noise.

"Yeah, they certainly know we're coming that's for sure." he chuckles.

Shield in front, he heads deeper into the complex, appreciative of all the light.

Dark Archive

Male Human 8 | HP 91/91 | AC 26;TCH 11; FF 25 | F +9; R +5; W+13 | CMB +8; CMD 19 | Init +1; Perc +17; SM +5

Bor joins Faolan near the front. His hand wipes across his shield as a dull light begins to illuminate.

Cast Light on his shield.

As the shrieking begins he ducks down low, looking all around. His light swiveling like a beacon to their position. "S#!+! This isn't the centaur cave? Did we get the wrong one?"

He heads deeper in. "We should hurry before they have time to form too much of an assault."

Shadow Lodge

You move ahead into the tunnel. A cylindrical mass of roots hangs from the exact center of this room. The roots have been braided together to form a cradle holding a giant violet crystal as big as a human head.
Sparkling veins of crystal line the walls.

Current Battle is updated, you are entering from the "south".

Standing near the crystal you see a repilian humanoid that you assume is a troglodyte. When you enter the room it shouts out and sets its shield.

Draconic:

"They're in the chamber of the Eye!"

Initiative:

Bazsil: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16
Faolan: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10
Bor: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
Krowe: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21
Trog: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (11) - 1 = 10

Turn 1 Tracker
Krowe
Bazsil
Faolan
Trog
Bor

Krowe, Bazsil, Faolan are up. Anyone approaching within 30' of the troglodyte (essentially entering this room) must make a DC 13 Fortitude Save or be sickened for 10 rounds. Note that it has taken defensive measures but you have not yet been attacked, the initiative is to keep track of actions so if you wish to use diplomacy that is still an option.


AC 30 Flat 20 Touch 16 | HP 83/83 | F+9 R +9 W +8 | Init +2 | Perc +13 | Sense Motive +12

Faolan, not knowing Draconic, doesn't know what to say - or how to say it. He stands firm, looking to the others, "Does anyone know the language he's speaking? The is his house after all that we've broken into. Maybe they hate hobo's too?"

He waits a moment for the others to respond before acting.

As I plan to enter eventually...
Fort: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22 vs DC 13


Half Elf Horn Dude 9 AC 20/17/14 / HP75 / F +8 R +7 W +7 / Init. +7/ Perc. +14/ Sense Motive +18/Diplo +18 Nature+11 Local+12 Arcana/Geog/Dung+9

Round 1, Init 16

Free:
Move: Move forward. Gag.
Stnd: Ready to swing at any foe within reach.

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15 Fort

Bazsil moves forward, not hopeful that combat could be avoided, but then keeping his blade at the ready. Keeping his stomach from roiling, he waits to see if the creatures attack.

Move up behind some obstruction, cover, or Faolan.

Stats of the Grim Grimalkin:

[ dice]1d20+5[/dice] to hit;
[ dice]1d10+6[/dice] slashing damage.

HP: 25/25
AC: 16 (4 armor, 2 dex) +2 AC vs. gobbos.

Spells: 0/4 used (CLW*0, Ident*0, Vanish*0, LComm*0)
Words: 0/13 used
Ironfangedness: 0/1 used

Smite: not used
Grit: not used
Panache: are you kidding me?
Ki: not used
Rage: maybe later

[spoiler=Bazsil's Deep Song of Wrath] Bazsil has activated his bard like song. You can opt in or opt out. Your choice...but you get all or none of the below. Bazsil will be opting in because that's what he does. You get:
1) +2 morale bonus to Strength and Constitution
2) +1 morale bonus on Will saving throws
3) –1 penalty to AC.
4) You cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except Acrobatics, Fly, Intimidate, and Ride) or any ability that requires patience or concentration. [ /spoiler]


Human | AC 14(18) FF 11(15) T 14(18)| HP 71/71 | F +7 R +8 W +9 | Initiative +7 | Perc. +15 | Sense Motive +1

”I speak their tongue. Hold your attacks for the moment.”

Keeping his distance, Krowe calls out.

Draconic:

”Let us talk! We do not need to be enemies. There is a greater danger to the land and your people than us! An invasion of Hobgoblins has come. They have already made deals with the centaurs, and the centaurs had a map to this cave.”

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15

Dark Archive

Male Human 8 | HP 91/91 | AC 26;TCH 11; FF 25 | F +9; R +5; W+13 | CMB +8; CMD 19 | Init +1; Perc +17; SM +5

Bor follows the other in, though he is much slower to react as the rest of the party dives headlong into the smelly cavern. The smell hasn't quite reached his nostrils yet.

Shadow Lodge

The guard looks at you suspiciously.

Draconic:

"Come no closer humans."

Shortly several more flood into the cavern, 3 troglodytes and a large lizard. One of the newcomers steps forward.

Draconic:

"What's this about a deal?"

Turn 2 Tracker
Krowe
Bazsil
Faolan
Trog
Bor

Party is up, keeping turn tracker posted in case this goes sideways.


Human | AC 14(18) FF 11(15) T 14(18)| HP 71/71 | F +7 R +8 W +9 | Initiative +7 | Perc. +15 | Sense Motive +1

Krowe continues speaking to the newly arrived troglodytes.

Draconic:
”The Fangwood has been invaded by hobgoblins of the Ironfang Legion. They have taken the town of Phaendar and threaten the lands of Nirmathas, including your home here. We found a map to the entrance of your caves on a centaur sent by the Legion to capture us. We came to investigate, unaware of your tribe living within. We are part of a larger group, and would prefer to be allies with you, and seek common protection.”

701 to 750 of 3,278 << first < prev | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Balodek's Ironfang Invasion Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.