All's Well that Ends in a Well

Game Master Choon


451 to 500 of 3,161 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Haste +1 Atk/AC [] Mutagen +3 Nat Armor, +4 Dex, -2 Wis [] 50 Min - Heroism, +2 ATK/SV/SK, 50 Min Net Change +6 AC (3T 3FF) +2 CMD, AC 20 CMD 21
Offense:
CMB+6 | +9 Main XBow 1d10 19-20x2 - 5/5 DB | (2x) +8 L XBow2 1d8 19-20x2 - 1) SB 2) PB | +6 Dorn Derger 1d10+3 Rch+Adj | +9 Bombs - 3d4+4 Spl 7 Fire - TF/SI 8/8 TF/FI 2/2 | MTGN Dex 1/1
Defense:
AC:20|T15|FF15 +4 vs Giants | HP: 49/49 | CMD: 20 +4 BullR/Trip | Saves (F|R|W): 8|9|6 +3 Spells/Poisons | Perception: +13 +2 Stonework; 10ft Secret Doors | Init +6 | Alch Save DC 17

Dalkk keeps his buckler arm up while Simon takes his still enlarged hand. He coughs and sputters as he's lead away "I'd rather ye" -cough- "Ye should be huntin' that rat faced bi-" a loud sneeze cuts him him off and he sighs and resolves in his relative uselessness "Good kitty"

Once in relative safety and head no longer ringing he lights a cigar while seated. He licks his lips and ponders while puffing away if there is a way to cheat the system and keep the stogie at twice the size when he returns to normal.

"I'll be fine Magsy, I'm tougher then I look, and I'm told I look pretty tough" he forces a laugh and takes another few puffs. He sets the large cigar down next to him. "Oi that hurt though. You an' I should try ta make one of those ourselves yeah?" He watches the cigar carefully as his body shrivels back to normal size. He picks up the cigar again which had shrunk along with him. He mutters "More bad news." He takes another deep draw anyway, releasing the smoke in a sigh.

"I knew something was off, serves me right fer not shooting first and ask questions later. Ne'er should o' let her out. O course.. havin' dat bomb... yer right, better it went off in ta open.. an' on my face..."

The dwarf stands up and takes another look around the small room. He blows smoke along the stone wall watching for inconsistencies or gaps where a dirty stinking rat might be able to listen through.

Perception+Stonework+Heroism: 1d20 + 11 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 11 + 2 + 2 = 23

Supposing he doesn't find anything that would suggest eaves droppers, he speaks after Maglin's questioning. "I'm nearly out of bombs and half outta me formulae. I gots plenty o' bolts though. If anyone else is feelin' tapped out it may nah be a bad idea to set camp, but I'm nah useless if'n we want to continue. If we make camp though, I think we should do something about dem tunnels first. What say all o' ye?"


RA T1 | WotR

I've edited the map to give a better understanding of your tactical situation. Here would be a less than ideal place to camp out.

Thulian mainly looks contrite under questioning. I am a simple merchant with a minor adrenaline addiction, I guess. Setting up a shop here was my dream and my party died for it. I don't know how long I was down there. Time goes kinda funny when you're all alone with no way to measure it. Since my... transformation... I haven't been under anyone's control as far as I know. As for feeling confused, try spending an eternity locked in a dark room before having an intelligent conversation and see how you fare.
As for what I can do? I don't know what you mean? I know I'm different now. I can go for a long time without food or drink, if that's what you mean.


Haste +1 Atk/AC [] Mutagen +3 Nat Armor, +4 Dex, -2 Wis [] 50 Min - Heroism, +2 ATK/SV/SK, 50 Min Net Change +6 AC (3T 3FF) +2 CMD, AC 20 CMD 21
Offense:
CMB+6 | +9 Main XBow 1d10 19-20x2 - 5/5 DB | (2x) +8 L XBow2 1d8 19-20x2 - 1) SB 2) PB | +6 Dorn Derger 1d10+3 Rch+Adj | +9 Bombs - 3d4+4 Spl 7 Fire - TF/SI 8/8 TF/FI 2/2 | MTGN Dex 1/1
Defense:
AC:20|T15|FF15 +4 vs Giants | HP: 49/49 | CMD: 20 +4 BullR/Trip | Saves (F|R|W): 8|9|6 +3 Spells/Poisons | Perception: +13 +2 Stonework; 10ft Secret Doors | Init +6 | Alch Save DC 17

Dalkk looks over the merchant and lowers his cigar. "What happened to yer wares?"


RA T1 | WotR

Gone. That chest you saw contained my stock. When I woke up after the fight with that monster they were gone.


Character Image Female half-orc oracle 8/sorcerer (tattooed sorcerer) 4/gestalt 4 | N Medium humanoid Init +8; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Per +9 AC 24, T 16, FF 19 hp 68/68 | Fort +7, Ref +8, Will +7; Defensive Abilities sacred tattoo[APG]; DR 5/lethal; Immune disease, sickened; Resist cold 5

A day. Vuzi responds to Maglin. "If he does not fight de spell, I can recast every day vith no isues. He chooses to fight it." she shrugs.

She looks at Thulian. "He did not choose dis. I will help if I can."

"What do you vant to do? Retreat? Collapse de tunnels? Move up de stairs? I still haf most of my spells for de day. Not that dey haf been helpful during our travels so far."


RA T1 | WotR

The stairs go down. Sorry I didn't mention that


Male (M) Elan soulknife (shielded blade) 6/aegis (abarent) 3
passive defenses:
DR 2/- Saves Fort +7 reflex +6 will 10 AC 25 ff 23, t 13) CMD 12

"resting would probably be for the best, if we can get a fire going I could cook these rats and take first watch"


Active Effects, limited use abilities:
Active Effects: Mage armor 4 hours, shaken (sheltered drawback) | Bombs 5/7 | Arcane Bond 1/1 | Shift 7/8 | Cognatogen 1/1 |
Familiar stats:
Initiative +3 | HP:15/15 Fast Healing 5 when attatched| AC16 (Touch 15, FF 13), | CMD 9 (+4 vs trip) | Fort 1 Ref 5 Will 5 | Perception +7, SM +0|
Defensive stats:
Initiative +16 | HP:9/30 0 nonlethal | AC14[17] (Touch 13[17], FF 11 [14]), +2 from familiar | CMD 14 | Fort 4 Ref 5 Will 5 (+2 vs ench spells & effects; +2 vs poison)(Immune: Sleep)| Perception +8, SM +1|

With Thulian

By asking what your capabilities are, I want to get a sense of how you fight and what you can do for us in this dungeon. Anything you think might be noteworthy would be helpful.

As far as I can tell, you're a ghast. That comes with certain abilities, strengths, and weaknesses. Normally it would also make you evil, but under Vuzi's control that's a bit different, and somewhat more complicated.

Could you describe the monster which killed you?

What do I get to know about ghasts? Take ten on Know religion for a result of 24.

Regarding moving forward.

Maglin surveys the surroundings, then looks up at the ceiling for a moment, as if reading a map. As I understand it there are a few areas we've not visited on this level yet, which I'd like to search out. I've got a few more spells for the day, and a few more bombs. I suggest we finish exploring this level and then choose a nice open spot to camp in, if I've still got some strength left by then I can cast a spell which will keep us safe for about half the night.

Maglin folds his arms, a rabbit appearing in them to his faint surprise. He strokes it idly while he talks. We should give a more thorough glance round this cave, and perhaps take a look down these tunnels before we collapse them. If need be I could prepare a shrinking spell for Simon, though that could prove dangerous. Then I suggest we examine the water through this cave.

Thoughts on which we should do first?


Haste +1 Atk/AC [] Mutagen +3 Nat Armor, +4 Dex, -2 Wis [] 50 Min - Heroism, +2 ATK/SV/SK, 50 Min Net Change +6 AC (3T 3FF) +2 CMD, AC 20 CMD 21
Offense:
CMB+6 | +9 Main XBow 1d10 19-20x2 - 5/5 DB | (2x) +8 L XBow2 1d8 19-20x2 - 1) SB 2) PB | +6 Dorn Derger 1d10+3 Rch+Adj | +9 Bombs - 3d4+4 Spl 7 Fire - TF/SI 8/8 TF/FI 2/2 | MTGN Dex 1/1
Defense:
AC:20|T15|FF15 +4 vs Giants | HP: 49/49 | CMD: 20 +4 BullR/Trip | Saves (F|R|W): 8|9|6 +3 Spells/Poisons | Perception: +13 +2 Stonework; 10ft Secret Doors | Init +6 | Alch Save DC 17

Turns his head and looks a little bit sideways at Maglin "I'm sorry Mags, my head must still be ringing after havin' my head blown up on, which we were lucky was in the open... but I thought I heard ye just suggest that we shrink someone down an go after them alone in a dark closed tunnel that they know like the back of der hand? There's no way that's what I heard right?"

He shakes his head and walks to an opening and rests against the wall. He scratches his beard and comes back, speaking through his cigar "It wouldn't be a bad idea to clear out this level before setting camp. Wasn't much left uncovered but I'd sleep better knowing what was around us. Anyone got any ideas yet fer dat acid beast from the toilet?"


Character Image Female half-orc oracle 8/sorcerer (tattooed sorcerer) 4/gestalt 4 | N Medium humanoid Init +8; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Per +9 AC 24, T 16, FF 19 hp 68/68 | Fort +7, Ref +8, Will +7; Defensive Abilities sacred tattoo[APG]; DR 5/lethal; Immune disease, sickened; Resist cold 5

"Leave it alone?" Vuzi suggests when Dallk mentions the acid beast.

"I agree we should see what else is on dis level. Maybe ve can stay in the room where we found Thulian."


RA T1 | WotR

As long as we don't close the door all the way... Vance comments bitterly.


Male (M) Elan soulknife (shielded blade) 6/aegis (abarent) 3
passive defenses:
DR 2/- Saves Fort +7 reflex +6 will 10 AC 25 ff 23, t 13) CMD 12

"Maybe we should stop for a bite to eat at least. We could get a fire going and cook up some of these rats"[/b]


Male Catfolk Hunter 8 UC Rogue 4 || Defenses (-2AC/CMD/R if surprised): AC:22|17|/, HP:57/57, CMD: 23, Saves (F|R|W): 10|13(+1vs traps)|6 || Other: Ini+5, Perception: +14 (Traps/Ambushes+2, 30ft Scent) || Ressources: AF:8/8, Spells: 1st:5/6 | 2nd:5/5 | 3rd:2/2 || Effects: -
DW Duck wrote:

Dalkk keeps his buckler arm up while Simon takes his still enlarged hand. He coughs and sputters as he's lead away "I'd rather ye" -cough- "Ye should be huntin' that rat faced bi-" a loud sneeze cuts him him off and he sighs and resolves in his relative uselessness "Good kitty"

Simon starts to purr audibly - but unconsciously - at the reaction of the ill dwarf. With a tiny voice, he starts to sing a song of healing. It's very childish, like something one would sing for a young child when it is ill.

"Healing, blessed healing,
Three days rain,
Three days snow,
And the sorrow will be gone!"

Mixed in, Simon casts one of his minor healing spells he knows to underline his words.
Heal Small Wounds: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12

*****

As Cain and Dulkk are getting better, and the group starts to discuss the matter of resting, Simon adds a small compromise.
"We all know that its very dangerous down here-meow.
Maybe we can rest for a short time inside one of the previous rooms?
Maybe one of those with exactly two possibly entry points-iii?
Easy to defend-purr.
Just sit down, calm and have a good lunch - just like Cain said?
Everything is better if you just had a good meal after all-miau!
Afterwards we can continue to clear those rooms left unattended before settling down for a good night rest?
Maybe we'll even find some place more inviting for a good rest in one of them-meowii?"


Character Image Female half-orc oracle 8/sorcerer (tattooed sorcerer) 4/gestalt 4 | N Medium humanoid Init +8; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Per +9 AC 24, T 16, FF 19 hp 68/68 | Fort +7, Ref +8, Will +7; Defensive Abilities sacred tattoo[APG]; DR 5/lethal; Immune disease, sickened; Resist cold 5

"I like Simon's plan. Though I am not eating rats. I haf rations. Let us find a room to rest." Vuzi will take her place toward the back of the group as they move to find a resting place.


Active Effects, limited use abilities:
Active Effects: Mage armor 4 hours, shaken (sheltered drawback) | Bombs 5/7 | Arcane Bond 1/1 | Shift 7/8 | Cognatogen 1/1 |
Familiar stats:
Initiative +3 | HP:15/15 Fast Healing 5 when attatched| AC16 (Touch 15, FF 13), | CMD 9 (+4 vs trip) | Fort 1 Ref 5 Will 5 | Perception +7, SM +0|
Defensive stats:
Initiative +16 | HP:9/30 0 nonlethal | AC14[17] (Touch 13[17], FF 11 [14]), +2 from familiar | CMD 14 | Fort 4 Ref 5 Will 5 (+2 vs ench spells & effects; +2 vs poison)(Immune: Sleep)| Perception +8, SM +1|

Earlier

Maglin scratches his rabbit behind the ears, then seems to devour it with his hands, until it simply vanishes. You heard correctly. It would only be a short spell, no more than a few minutes, just to send him down each of the tunnels a few dozen feet, cautiously, in case there's a large room behind them. I don't suppose Thulian could squeeze his way in? The rats would be much less likely to attack him, but my magic will not affect the undead. In any case, it's perhaps a bad idea, I only wish to get some idea of where they lead and if there are rooms back there. If they go down we'll need to watch out on the lower levels, but if they just connect up with the ones on the surface that's much less concerning. And, of course, if I were hoarding treasure, a hard to access room safe from any slime would be a good place to do it.

Later

There's a hallway between two rooms which would make a good resting spot. Let's take a look at the southeast end of this cave first, shall we? Maglin indicates with his finger, back the way they came, to an area they passed in their hurry to follow the woman.


Haste +1 Atk/AC [] Mutagen +3 Nat Armor, +4 Dex, -2 Wis [] 50 Min - Heroism, +2 ATK/SV/SK, 50 Min Net Change +6 AC (3T 3FF) +2 CMD, AC 20 CMD 21
Offense:
CMB+6 | +9 Main XBow 1d10 19-20x2 - 5/5 DB | (2x) +8 L XBow2 1d8 19-20x2 - 1) SB 2) PB | +6 Dorn Derger 1d10+3 Rch+Adj | +9 Bombs - 3d4+4 Spl 7 Fire - TF/SI 8/8 TF/FI 2/2 | MTGN Dex 1/1
Defense:
AC:20|T15|FF15 +4 vs Giants | HP: 49/49 | CMD: 20 +4 BullR/Trip | Saves (F|R|W): 8|9|6 +3 Spells/Poisons | Perception: +13 +2 Stonework; 10ft Secret Doors | Init +6 | Alch Save DC 17

The dwarf shakes his head in disbelief but has no objections to the plans for a rest. Before leaving he collects a few dire rats. Over each tunnel entrance he holds a rat against the wall and drives a bolt through it, leaving a dead body of their kind effectively nailed over each tunnel.

He makes sure his bow is topped off before taking his back near Vuzi. "Rats a fair meal"

Orcish to Vuzi:
"Though I haven't met anyone who is that eager to eat one. I thought for sure one of the two cats would be first to try to eat one"


Character Image Female half-orc oracle 8/sorcerer (tattooed sorcerer) 4/gestalt 4 | N Medium humanoid Init +8; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Per +9 AC 24, T 16, FF 19 hp 68/68 | Fort +7, Ref +8, Will +7; Defensive Abilities sacred tattoo[APG]; DR 5/lethal; Immune disease, sickened; Resist cold 5

Oricsh to Dallk:
"They might. I'm still not that hungry yet."[/b]

"Lead de way someone. I get in trouble if I go first."


RA T1 | WotR

4d20 ⇒ (9, 8, 7, 17) = 41

The party is able to fall back and take a breather without incident.


RA T1 | WotR

You may now reveal everything south of where the dust went off. I can't edit the map at the moment. It's mostly rat tunnels.


Male (M) Elan soulknife (shielded blade) 6/aegis (abarent) 3
passive defenses:
DR 2/- Saves Fort +7 reflex +6 will 10 AC 25 ff 23, t 13) CMD 12

"any career soldier can tell you that the true path to happiness is in never passing up a meal or a chance to rest. There likely won't be many free meals or safe places here


Character Image Female half-orc oracle 8/sorcerer (tattooed sorcerer) 4/gestalt 4 | N Medium humanoid Init +8; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Per +9 AC 24, T 16, FF 19 hp 68/68 | Fort +7, Ref +8, Will +7; Defensive Abilities sacred tattoo[APG]; DR 5/lethal; Immune disease, sickened; Resist cold 5

Vuzi leans against the wall and waits. "I vunder what that voman wanted. Do you think she is just a bandit or has a more evil reason for being here?"


Male Catfolk Hunter 8 UC Rogue 4 || Defenses (-2AC/CMD/R if surprised): AC:22|17|/, HP:57/57, CMD: 23, Saves (F|R|W): 10|13(+1vs traps)|6 || Other: Ini+5, Perception: +14 (Traps/Ambushes+2, 30ft Scent) || Ressources: AF:8/8, Spells: 1st:5/6 | 2nd:5/5 | 3rd:2/2 || Effects: -

After the group settled down in the narrow corridor, Simon will prepare a small fire on the ground to roast some rats over it.
He nods at Cains word.
"Ay-eow.
And it would be a waste to let them rot after we killed them - even if they are only rats."

He sits down near the small fire, a rat-on-stick held over it, and patting Emily's head softly.
It only takes a couple of minutes (and the smell of the slowly grilled rat) to make the two rats purr in concert - increasing the calming effect of the short rest considerably.

Between a couple of bites, Simon answers the Orks question with a thoughtful, somehow pained look.
"I though she may be another lost soul, alone in the dark ...
and may join us, or be thankful for a safe passage after the horror she went through-meooar.
But then she attacked you guys and fled through that rat hole-frchhr.
I don't know why a sane person would want in there in the first place..."

I actually though she may be a new player, to replace our lost one *haha*
Fully fitting my naive catling I guess ...?


Haste +1 Atk/AC [] Mutagen +3 Nat Armor, +4 Dex, -2 Wis [] 50 Min - Heroism, +2 ATK/SV/SK, 50 Min Net Change +6 AC (3T 3FF) +2 CMD, AC 20 CMD 21
Offense:
CMB+6 | +9 Main XBow 1d10 19-20x2 - 5/5 DB | (2x) +8 L XBow2 1d8 19-20x2 - 1) SB 2) PB | +6 Dorn Derger 1d10+3 Rch+Adj | +9 Bombs - 3d4+4 Spl 7 Fire - TF/SI 8/8 TF/FI 2/2 | MTGN Dex 1/1
Defense:
AC:20|T15|FF15 +4 vs Giants | HP: 49/49 | CMD: 20 +4 BullR/Trip | Saves (F|R|W): 8|9|6 +3 Spells/Poisons | Perception: +13 +2 Stonework; 10ft Secret Doors | Init +6 | Alch Save DC 17

Rips apart a rat leg and bites through, bone and all. A long life of living in caves makes rat a decent meal indeed, but there is certainly no enthusiasm in it's consumption. Small flakes of meat and bone fall out as he speaks, some adding to the collection already present in his beard.

"I think she's one of em. Not too uncommon to find people that turn inta beasties. She took to the tunnels like one of dem. If she isn't a rat herself then she has lived with them long enough she might as well be."

Dalkk thinks for awhile longer while rat grease coats his cheeks. He continues to talk through his meal.

"Though, that big boom didn't come from nothing. Either they be advanced enough to make it themselves or it was scavenged and they werr advanced enough to know what it is. Less likely a trade agreement with ta gobbo village I hear is down this way. It would be interesting if they had a class system, and that rat wench ruled over them. That'd account for the willingness to sacrifice der own "people" for the sake of a trap."


Character Image Female half-orc oracle 8/sorcerer (tattooed sorcerer) 4/gestalt 4 | N Medium humanoid Init +8; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Per +9 AC 24, T 16, FF 19 hp 68/68 | Fort +7, Ref +8, Will +7; Defensive Abilities sacred tattoo[APG]; DR 5/lethal; Immune disease, sickened; Resist cold 5

"Dat would be interesting. A voman ruling de rats? Not de strangest thing I've heard. It has been an exciting day for just getting started. Ve haven't even gone down a level yet." Vuzi skips the rat and takes a few sips from her water flask.


RA T1 | WotR

I don't have the ability to edit the map while out of town so someone may remove the larger block on the map. The only places still unexplored are the area above where you got dusted and the area behind the rockslide near where you first came in.


Active Effects, limited use abilities:
Active Effects: Mage armor 4 hours, shaken (sheltered drawback) | Bombs 5/7 | Arcane Bond 1/1 | Shift 7/8 | Cognatogen 1/1 |
Familiar stats:
Initiative +3 | HP:15/15 Fast Healing 5 when attatched| AC16 (Touch 15, FF 13), | CMD 9 (+4 vs trip) | Fort 1 Ref 5 Will 5 | Perception +7, SM +0|
Defensive stats:
Initiative +16 | HP:9/30 0 nonlethal | AC14[17] (Touch 13[17], FF 11 [14]), +2 from familiar | CMD 14 | Fort 4 Ref 5 Will 5 (+2 vs ench spells & effects; +2 vs poison)(Immune: Sleep)| Perception +8, SM +1|

Maglin sits quietly off to one side of the room, writing slowly and steadily in his journal. Occasionally he pauses for a moment, thinking to himself, and then resumes writing.

Maglin's journal entry # 2:


5th of Reth,

We are trapped. Great stone beasts with terrible black eyes guard the main path of exit, and we are not prepared to fight them. Only by fleeing within did we escape in the first place, and now we are trapped. From the frying pan to the fire, and through the fire we shall have to pass, forging ourselves into a weapon harder than stone and sharper than steel.

We are well provisioned, and have passed the first few trials without great loss. Hints of green slime are easy to find, so that I constantly fear a great block shall drop from the dark above. I think it is the green slime which is causing the troubling drip, drip, never far enough away. Yet becoming preoccupied with the ceiling makes it difficult to focus on the floor, which has twice now tried to swallow us. And twice we have avoided terrible tragedy in tenebrous trenches. We have fought a horde of rats, avoided ambush and advanced across all areas of this floor. Yet we let a crazed woman escape when we could have killed her, and now she shall stalk us slowly and silently. Drip, drop, only time can tell where the slime originates.

A Ghast has joined us, down here in the dark. He has rotten features and smells dreadful, but with the application of magic from Vuzi he has been brought under our dominion, and walks beside us now, one Thulian Vance. In life, he hoped to be a merchant of death. Now dead, he shall slay those we meet himself.

Drip, drip. There it is again. This place is maddening already.

After some time, he sets his journal down, legs crossed, and pulls up closer to the fire. Shadows flicker and dance across his face, and he stretches out his fingers to warm them, listening to the others discuss the rat woman.

She has a name, He says, when the conversation seems to be at a lull, or had one, at one point. Vilaar, that's what she said. She might have been one of us at one point, long ago. Maglin's eyes glint in the fire, and he looks down at the shadows in silence for a long time.

Reminds me of this.


Male Catfolk Hunter 8 UC Rogue 4 || Defenses (-2AC/CMD/R if surprised): AC:22|17|/, HP:57/57, CMD: 23, Saves (F|R|W): 10|13(+1vs traps)|6 || Other: Ini+5, Perception: +14 (Traps/Ambushes+2, 30ft Scent) || Ressources: AF:8/8, Spells: 1st:5/6 | 2nd:5/5 | 3rd:2/2 || Effects: -

Simon follows the conversation with a disbelieving expression
"Why would one life with such a ... swarming ", here he shudders visibly "race in the first place is beyond me-frch.
But we're still not sure what that flaming blast was, do we-iii?
Do you think it was her-grrr?
But if so ... why would she attack the rats and the other way round if they are ... allies-miii?
Sounds fishy if you ask me."

I wonder hows the chance for me/emily to follow her scent down the tunnels? If she thinks that she made a good escape, she might wander off to her allies thus leading us straight to them ...?


Active Effects, limited use abilities:
Active Effects: Mage armor 4 hours, shaken (sheltered drawback) | Bombs 5/7 | Arcane Bond 1/1 | Shift 7/8 | Cognatogen 1/1 |
Familiar stats:
Initiative +3 | HP:15/15 Fast Healing 5 when attatched| AC16 (Touch 15, FF 13), | CMD 9 (+4 vs trip) | Fort 1 Ref 5 Will 5 | Perception +7, SM +0|
Defensive stats:
Initiative +16 | HP:9/30 0 nonlethal | AC14[17] (Touch 13[17], FF 11 [14]), +2 from familiar | CMD 14 | Fort 4 Ref 5 Will 5 (+2 vs ench spells & effects; +2 vs poison)(Immune: Sleep)| Perception +8, SM +1|

Yes, I think it was her. I think the whispering we heard earlier was her as well. She probably planned it out so she could lead us to the tunnels and ambush us. Maglin shakes his head, letting out a sigh.

It could be that she's not actually friends with the rats and that they attacker her while she was waiting. In that case there were probably some other monsters waiting to ambush us, which is discomforting. I think we can deal with rats.


RA T1 | WotR

The chances of you filtering her by scent in this foul place are low. The entire level stinks to high heaven. Speaking of, everyone: DC 12 fort save or be sickened for the next hour as the smell proves to much for you.


Active Effects, limited use abilities:
Active Effects: Mage armor 4 hours, shaken (sheltered drawback) | Bombs 5/7 | Arcane Bond 1/1 | Shift 7/8 | Cognatogen 1/1 |
Familiar stats:
Initiative +3 | HP:15/15 Fast Healing 5 when attatched| AC16 (Touch 15, FF 13), | CMD 9 (+4 vs trip) | Fort 1 Ref 5 Will 5 | Perception +7, SM +0|
Defensive stats:
Initiative +16 | HP:9/30 0 nonlethal | AC14[17] (Touch 13[17], FF 11 [14]), +2 from familiar | CMD 14 | Fort 4 Ref 5 Will 5 (+2 vs ench spells & effects; +2 vs poison)(Immune: Sleep)| Perception +8, SM +1|

Fort: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24

Familiar fort: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3

Maglin doesn't seem to even notice the foul scent which hangs about the air, or if he does, he doesn't let on. HIs patience seems inexhaustible.


Character Image Female half-orc oracle 8/sorcerer (tattooed sorcerer) 4/gestalt 4 | N Medium humanoid Init +8; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Per +9 AC 24, T 16, FF 19 hp 68/68 | Fort +7, Ref +8, Will +7; Defensive Abilities sacred tattoo[APG]; DR 5/lethal; Immune disease, sickened; Resist cold 5

"Dat is the point I vas going to make. We should not assume dat she is friends with de rats. She might haf been attacked, and we helped. She vas going to draw us in anyway."

She looks at the others. "Vere to know? De river or de stairs. I'm not interested in the rat tunnels or excavating for a week. I like de stairs. Ve do not haf the boat yet correct?"


Male Catfolk Hunter 8 UC Rogue 4 || Defenses (-2AC/CMD/R if surprised): AC:22|17|/, HP:57/57, CMD: 23, Saves (F|R|W): 10|13(+1vs traps)|6 || Other: Ini+5, Perception: +14 (Traps/Ambushes+2, 30ft Scent) || Ressources: AF:8/8, Spells: 1st:5/6 | 2nd:5/5 | 3rd:2/2 || Effects: -

"Thats right-eow.
We have ordered the boat, but it will take some weeks to be build the way we want it.
Swimming now, seems like a bad idea if we'll have an actual boat later on, doesn't it-iii?
So I'm with Vuzi here ... Lets try the steps first.
Tracking the women with all this stink will be ... unlikely-frchh."

He turns to Emily at this point, patting her head softly.
Toughness: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8 Oh yeah...
"Lets hope this abyssal stink will go away deeper down, eh?
I feel dizzy already, just sitting around here-grrrr."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Black Pantheress | Status: Shield Companion, AF: Bull&Tiger | AC:26|15|21, HP:72/72, CMD: 33(Grab:37), Saves (F|R|W): 10+1|12+1|6+1(+4 vs. Enchantment), Perception: +10(14), Initiative +5, Skirmish-Tricks: 6/6

Toughness: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17
The big black cat buries her nose beneath her paws, but looks up at Simon with obvious sympathy. It is like she wants to say:
"I know what you mean. It smells horribly indeed!"


Male Catfolk Hunter 8 UC Rogue 4 || Defenses (-2AC/CMD/R if surprised): AC:22|17|/, HP:57/57, CMD: 23, Saves (F|R|W): 10|13(+1vs traps)|6 || Other: Ini+5, Perception: +14 (Traps/Ambushes+2, 30ft Scent) || Ressources: AF:8/8, Spells: 1st:5/6 | 2nd:5/5 | 3rd:2/2 || Effects: -

As he feels his vision getting blurry and his head starting to hurt, Simon will pull out his filter hood.
The thing looks pretty mad and ugly, but the hope for a brief break of the unbearable stink is more than enough to put the thing up nevertheless.
It grants a +2 vs everything inhaled. Does this provide me a reroll after taking it up, or shortens the duration of the sickening?


Haste +1 Atk/AC [] Mutagen +3 Nat Armor, +4 Dex, -2 Wis [] 50 Min - Heroism, +2 ATK/SV/SK, 50 Min Net Change +6 AC (3T 3FF) +2 CMD, AC 20 CMD 21
Offense:
CMB+6 | +9 Main XBow 1d10 19-20x2 - 5/5 DB | (2x) +8 L XBow2 1d8 19-20x2 - 1) SB 2) PB | +6 Dorn Derger 1d10+3 Rch+Adj | +9 Bombs - 3d4+4 Spl 7 Fire - TF/SI 8/8 TF/FI 2/2 | MTGN Dex 1/1
Defense:
AC:20|T15|FF15 +4 vs Giants | HP: 49/49 | CMD: 20 +4 BullR/Trip | Saves (F|R|W): 8|9|6 +3 Spells/Poisons | Perception: +13 +2 Stonework; 10ft Secret Doors | Init +6 | Alch Save DC 17

Dalkk keeps his head down, finishing his reagents, extracts, and polishing the track of his crossbows. "I agree with Greenie. I certainly wouldn't mind some good ol' fashion diggin' mind you, but I think we be coming through here again. Whatever is km the other side is not likely to move much, and when we return perhaps we can bring a small crew to speed up the process. I dinnae have any desire to go down river less we have a way back, an' the last thing this cave aroma needs is wet fur. We cannae traverse the tunnels together, and I dinnae think any of us would survive alone under their turf."

Fort save: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18

Dalkk sniffs. He's been in and been responsible for worse aromas.


Active Effects, limited use abilities:
Active Effects: Mage armor 4 hours, shaken (sheltered drawback) | Bombs 5/7 | Arcane Bond 1/1 | Shift 7/8 | Cognatogen 1/1 |
Familiar stats:
Initiative +3 | HP:15/15 Fast Healing 5 when attatched| AC16 (Touch 15, FF 13), | CMD 9 (+4 vs trip) | Fort 1 Ref 5 Will 5 | Perception +7, SM +0|
Defensive stats:
Initiative +16 | HP:9/30 0 nonlethal | AC14[17] (Touch 13[17], FF 11 [14]), +2 from familiar | CMD 14 | Fort 4 Ref 5 Will 5 (+2 vs ench spells & effects; +2 vs poison)(Immune: Sleep)| Perception +8, SM +1|

Agreed, we shall forgo any further exploration on this level for now and descend. I feel better facing the horrors below now that we've rested for a bit. Maglin gathers his things and shoulders his pack, ready to move forward once again.


RA T1 | WotR

The party takes another step into the deep. Several, actually. The stairs lead down several dozen feet, though only Dalkk can really tell. After a while height and depth mean little without an outside reference.
The air here is still foul, though not quite as foul as above, and eight giant rat corpses lay about, apparently torn apart by some wild animal. Blood spatterings cover the entire area. The air reeks of rot and old urine.
The north door has been scratched and hacked with a handaxe that is still embedded in it (DC 16 Strength check to remove). The key is in the lock to the north door and it unlocks the other three doors in this room as well. A loose tile in the floor at “x” (DC 10 Perception to notice) hides a secret compartment containing stagnant water and the bones of a small animal.
The map will have to wait until this evening. The room is about 25 ft wide and 120 feet long tapering slightly at the ends. There is one door at either end and two in the far wall about 20 feet apart from each other. Let me know where to go!
Also: Congrats on getting my 20,000th post!


Male Catfolk Hunter 8 UC Rogue 4 || Defenses (-2AC/CMD/R if surprised): AC:22|17|/, HP:57/57, CMD: 23, Saves (F|R|W): 10|13(+1vs traps)|6 || Other: Ini+5, Perception: +14 (Traps/Ambushes+2, 30ft Scent) || Ressources: AF:8/8, Spells: 1st:5/6 | 2nd:5/5 | 3rd:2/2 || Effects: -

Simon, still surprisingly apathetically and unmotivated, looks around the next deeper level. More out of his sense of duty than any real motivation, he walks around the place just to stumble. As he looks over the floor, he finds a small hidden compartment with water and the body of a deceased animal. Still auto-succeed vs 10
"This' clearly still an area well-looted-grrr.
Someone marked this poisoned water hole with an cross.
Good thing we're not dependant on finding water down here-rrr.
Grrfrchrargh!
Can't get that stink out of my nose-frchr!
Damn it. It makes me dizzy and disrupts my concentration-grrreow!"


Haste +1 Atk/AC [] Mutagen +3 Nat Armor, +4 Dex, -2 Wis [] 50 Min - Heroism, +2 ATK/SV/SK, 50 Min Net Change +6 AC (3T 3FF) +2 CMD, AC 20 CMD 21
Offense:
CMB+6 | +9 Main XBow 1d10 19-20x2 - 5/5 DB | (2x) +8 L XBow2 1d8 19-20x2 - 1) SB 2) PB | +6 Dorn Derger 1d10+3 Rch+Adj | +9 Bombs - 3d4+4 Spl 7 Fire - TF/SI 8/8 TF/FI 2/2 | MTGN Dex 1/1
Defense:
AC:20|T15|FF15 +4 vs Giants | HP: 49/49 | CMD: 20 +4 BullR/Trip | Saves (F|R|W): 8|9|6 +3 Spells/Poisons | Perception: +13 +2 Stonework; 10ft Secret Doors | Init +6 | Alch Save DC 17

Dalkk keeps a ready eye behind the group just in case but he does take a few moments to admire the construction of the steps. In his mind he attributes the craftsmanship to the Dwarven statue outside. Even in this metaphorically dark place he can find these simple reminders to his literal dark place that makes him long for home.

Once he reaches the floor with the rest of the party he steps forward. His eyes dart immediately to the ax, another reminder of his youth.

He reaches into a satchel on his lower back. While he walks by Simon looking into a hole Dalkk hands him a large vial of a thick pink goop, practically forcing it into his hand. "Drink this, an' ne'er ye mind the taste or what color it turns yer leavin's, you'll feel better."

Dalkk hands Simon a bottle of Pepto-Bismol Peptus Salix a pink chalky substance that gives you a fresh Fort Save on Sickened effects with a +2 Alchemical bonus at the expense of turning your tongue, and presumably other matter, black for an hour.

Dalkk steps closer to the door with the Ax stuck into it. He takes a closer look at it, the key, and listens at the door.
Perception+Heroism: 1d20 + 11 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 11 + 2 = 31
Assuming nothing stands out, he calls out.

"Simon, Magsy, take a look and tell me if these be safe to pull out?" The dwarf still doesn't make much time for niceties, but has learned to respect the talents of his compatriots to find traps and magic. His face scowls some as another thought crosses his mind. "And Magsy... please try hard this time."

If Simon and Maglin give him the all clear, Dalkk tries the ax
Strength+Heroism: 1d20 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 + 2 = 18


Active Effects, limited use abilities:
Active Effects: Mage armor 4 hours, shaken (sheltered drawback) | Bombs 5/7 | Arcane Bond 1/1 | Shift 7/8 | Cognatogen 1/1 |
Familiar stats:
Initiative +3 | HP:15/15 Fast Healing 5 when attatched| AC16 (Touch 15, FF 13), | CMD 9 (+4 vs trip) | Fort 1 Ref 5 Will 5 | Perception +7, SM +0|
Defensive stats:
Initiative +16 | HP:9/30 0 nonlethal | AC14[17] (Touch 13[17], FF 11 [14]), +2 from familiar | CMD 14 | Fort 4 Ref 5 Will 5 (+2 vs ench spells & effects; +2 vs poison)(Immune: Sleep)| Perception +8, SM +1|

Try hard this time? I'm a bit confused as to why you might say that, if you could elaborate, that would be appreciated. Maglin sounds genuinely confused.

I'm not actually sure what I'm supposed to do to give the all clear. Isn't it normally perception and not disable device? I suppose we've established that the two of us know some stuff about traps though, so it's fair that Dalkk would defer to them.

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26


Male (M) Elan soulknife (shielded blade) 6/aegis (abarent) 3
passive defenses:
DR 2/- Saves Fort +7 reflex +6 will 10 AC 25 ff 23, t 13) CMD 12

Marco looks around, wary of traps but pleased at them finding the next level
perception: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (1) + 13 = 14


RA T1 | WotR

There are no traps on any of the doors.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Catfolk Hunter 8 UC Rogue 4 || Defenses (-2AC/CMD/R if surprised): AC:22|17|/, HP:57/57, CMD: 23, Saves (F|R|W): 10|13(+1vs traps)|6 || Other: Ini+5, Perception: +14 (Traps/Ambushes+2, 30ft Scent) || Ressources: AF:8/8, Spells: 1st:5/6 | 2nd:5/5 | 3rd:2/2 || Effects: -

Simon takes the bottle from Dalkk with an asking gaze at the weird color of the
liquid. After a moments though he drowns it nevertheless, with closed eyes and
a forced expression on his face.
After gulping it down, the Catfolk shudders violently.
"Uarhh! This MUST be good medicine-meowa!
Something smelling that bad must be helping for sure-iii?!"

Re-roll for drinking active-coal...: 1d20 + 7 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 7 + 2 = 19
It takes some moments, but then he starts to feel better after all. Remembering
the warning of the dwarf, he pulls out his tounge to look at it - it is
surprisingly long, and now very black indeed.
"A-an uh su-l tt äl go awä?" He asks, while still holding his tongue,
trying to rub it clean with some water, to no effect at all, beside coloring
the water black as well.
Finally letting go with a shrug, he follows the group around, looking at
doorframes and angles for possible traps or wires that may indicate traps.
As he passes Dalkk, he shortly rubs his head at the shoulder of the dwarf and
emits a low purring noise. "Thank you Dalkk. I feel better now-purrurr."

Finding no traps or other indication, he strolls over to the leftmost door,
looking back at the others.
"Left-first as before, or anyone having some better ideas yet-iii?"


Active Effects, limited use abilities:
Active Effects: Mage armor 4 hours, shaken (sheltered drawback) | Bombs 5/7 | Arcane Bond 1/1 | Shift 7/8 | Cognatogen 1/1 |
Familiar stats:
Initiative +3 | HP:15/15 Fast Healing 5 when attatched| AC16 (Touch 15, FF 13), | CMD 9 (+4 vs trip) | Fort 1 Ref 5 Will 5 | Perception +7, SM +0|
Defensive stats:
Initiative +16 | HP:9/30 0 nonlethal | AC14[17] (Touch 13[17], FF 11 [14]), +2 from familiar | CMD 14 | Fort 4 Ref 5 Will 5 (+2 vs ench spells & effects; +2 vs poison)(Immune: Sleep)| Perception +8, SM +1|

Hmm... for the first time since you've seen him, Maglin looks genuinely puzzled for a moment. I might have a reason. After a moment, he looks once more sure of himself.

This place is well looted indeed. It's quite odd that there's a key and a handaxe both in this northern door, especially considering how obvious it is that people have passed through here previously. I do wonder if someone is trying to influence us towards opening a particular door by leaving the key in that one. Perhaps they've left it there in an attempt to get us to to open that door first. Or perhaps they merely want us to think that, and want us to open that door last. Because we have no way of determining which is more likely, I suggest a semi-random determination, say, six tenths odds to travel through one of the three other doors, and four tenths odds for this one here. We can assign each of the doors which isn't the northernmost door two numbers, so that the southernmost door is assigned the numbers one and two, the next door is three and four, and the door after that is five and six. We can then search this list using a coin flip.

Maglin pauses uncharacteristically for a second, a wicked smile flashing instantaneously across his face before being hidden away under his normally stoic demeanor. If you've got reason for rejection, sampling your alternative proposals is something I'd love to do, he says cryptically. It is a moment before he speaks again, eyes widening slightly and going to the floor before glancing quickly around the room and its its inhabitants. It's almost as though for a moment he forgot where he was and who he was with. He turns his head once, a half shake, and then continues again. Perhaps there is a hint of melancholy in his voice, words spoken with slightly more breath, and with a less even pause between each one.

But before we open any doors, I would like to take a closer look at these corpses, with the following questions in mind.

1) How long ago did they die?

2) What did they die from?

3) Has anyone passed through since?

Simon, you've presumably got experience with this sort of thing. I'll let you take the lead. Maglin examines the rat wounds closely, as well as the positions into which they have fallen, conferring with Simon. He checks their teeth and under their claws for any flecks of flesh or blood they might have taken from whatever killed them. Last of all, he looks around for footprints in the blood that have not come from the party.

I think survival lets us answer all of those questions, correct? Take ten on survival aid another for a result of 15, automatically succeeding.

Heal might also be necessary, perhaps in conjunction with know (nature)? I will take ten on heal for also a result of 15, again automatically succeeding. I will take ten on Knowledge (Nature) for a result of 24.

If Simon takes ten on both of the other skills that's 23 for Heal and either 23 or 27 for survival, depending on if it's considered tracking or not.


Male Catfolk Hunter 8 UC Rogue 4 || Defenses (-2AC/CMD/R if surprised): AC:22|17|/, HP:57/57, CMD: 23, Saves (F|R|W): 10|13(+1vs traps)|6 || Other: Ini+5, Perception: +14 (Traps/Ambushes+2, 30ft Scent) || Ressources: AF:8/8, Spells: 1st:5/6 | 2nd:5/5 | 3rd:2/2 || Effects: -

Simon, half-way to the left door, stops in his tracks as Maglin pulls forth his
talk about probabilities, coin-flips and sampling.
He (and Emily for that matter) turns around to eye the elf from top to bottom.
It is like they try to discern if he has lost his mind after all.
Only as he asks Simon for his thoughts about the dead rats on the floor, do the
two of them continue their way back to the group.
Simon appears like he is about to reply something, but remains silent, focusing
on the dead rats instead.
Well, the dwarf is also not fully sane, why should the elf be. They get
along pretty well for two members of their races after all.
A kindred of spirits probably..?

Yeah I will look them over with take 10 on the respective tests.
Thanks for the reminder Maglin, would have forgotten about it.


Haste +1 Atk/AC [] Mutagen +3 Nat Armor, +4 Dex, -2 Wis [] 50 Min - Heroism, +2 ATK/SV/SK, 50 Min Net Change +6 AC (3T 3FF) +2 CMD, AC 20 CMD 21
Offense:
CMB+6 | +9 Main XBow 1d10 19-20x2 - 5/5 DB | (2x) +8 L XBow2 1d8 19-20x2 - 1) SB 2) PB | +6 Dorn Derger 1d10+3 Rch+Adj | +9 Bombs - 3d4+4 Spl 7 Fire - TF/SI 8/8 TF/FI 2/2 | MTGN Dex 1/1
Defense:
AC:20|T15|FF15 +4 vs Giants | HP: 49/49 | CMD: 20 +4 BullR/Trip | Saves (F|R|W): 8|9|6 +3 Spells/Poisons | Perception: +13 +2 Stonework; 10ft Secret Doors | Init +6 | Alch Save DC 17

The dwarfs hand reaches over and rubs the catfolks head in return to the head bump. "Dinnae worry, yer tongue should be back yah normal well before next meal."

Dalkk examines the ax he pulled from the door after Simon cleared it of traps. He checks for sharpness and such while the elf discusses probability.

"I dinnae know why ye'd assign this door greater odds then the other, but more ta the point, if'n someone is try'in ta throw us off our plan in any way then wouldn't ta best approach be ta stick to it hard an fast? If nay, then I'd suggest starting wit' ta door wit'a key in'it since I dinnae hear anything on ta other side. Tha' said, e'en wit my gut saying this door, nah changin' ta plan at all likely be ta' best choice."

The dwarf pauses awhile to scratch a flea out of his beard. Once scratched to satisfaction he continues.

"O'course if'n ta plan is goin' to DA way side, and if Simon feels confident tha doors be safe, we could take a peak behind them and go from there."


Character Image Female half-orc oracle 8/sorcerer (tattooed sorcerer) 4/gestalt 4 | N Medium humanoid Init +8; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Per +9 AC 24, T 16, FF 19 hp 68/68 | Fort +7, Ref +8, Will +7; Defensive Abilities sacred tattoo[APG]; DR 5/lethal; Immune disease, sickened; Resist cold 5

Vuzi follows along in silence looking at all the various things in the room. She idly detects magic as she walks along. She yawns behind her hand when Mags gets started on probabilities and the likelyhood of traps. "Didn't we always decide to start left? "

-Posted with Wayfinder


RA T1 | WotR

The ax is ordinary. In fact, everything here is ordinary save the smell.


Haste +1 Atk/AC [] Mutagen +3 Nat Armor, +4 Dex, -2 Wis [] 50 Min - Heroism, +2 ATK/SV/SK, 50 Min Net Change +6 AC (3T 3FF) +2 CMD, AC 20 CMD 21
Offense:
CMB+6 | +9 Main XBow 1d10 19-20x2 - 5/5 DB | (2x) +8 L XBow2 1d8 19-20x2 - 1) SB 2) PB | +6 Dorn Derger 1d10+3 Rch+Adj | +9 Bombs - 3d4+4 Spl 7 Fire - TF/SI 8/8 TF/FI 2/2 | MTGN Dex 1/1
Defense:
AC:20|T15|FF15 +4 vs Giants | HP: 49/49 | CMD: 20 +4 BullR/Trip | Saves (F|R|W): 8|9|6 +3 Spells/Poisons | Perception: +13 +2 Stonework; 10ft Secret Doors | Init +6 | Alch Save DC 17
GM Choon wrote:
The ax is ordinary. In fact, everything here is ordinary save the smell.

Something about the way you phrased this makes me want to make a Will save haha


RA T1 | WotR

Heh. No save, unfortunately.

451 to 500 of 3,161 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Choon presents All's Well that Ends in a Well: A Rappan Athuk Deathtrap All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.