Inn of meta-knowledge and what-not


Play-by-Post Discussion

101 to 150 of 508 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Artemis:
"I understand wanting to be seen for who you are other than just what others expect you to be," Rola says with a nod. "but using people assumptions against them can be amusing at times, some see me and see a brute, and then I start dropping fire on them."


Brak
"Any time you have good food or good company is a good time. Luckily, here with the Order I find you usually get both."


Male Probably human Computer Scientist 1/ Character Synthesizer 20/ Crazy 99

Just some background on myself so that hopefully the way I am playing Dalen and Elaina make some sort of sense. I am interested in lots of things and I tend to have a lot of otherwise useless knowledge in my head. One of those bits of knowledge is that Knights are referred to as Sir or Dame, and I had believed that being inducted into the Brotherhood made us knights by default. As for Elaina's attire, I figured that, given the equivalent time periods in our history, it would be unthinkable for a woman to wear pants/trousers to a formal event, which is why she's in a dress. Just chalk it up to me trying to be lore-friendly so to speak.

Lienhol and Tordrek:

"Well met Tordrek," Dalen says pleasantly, "I am Sir Dalen Felder and this is my squire, Elaina Tirel."

Elaina can't quite meet Tordrek's eyes as she mutters, "n-nice to meet you, Master Tordrek. I wish you hadn't seen that, though."

Turning back to Lienhol, Dalen gives a quick apology before replying.

"My apologies Lienhol," he answers, "it was only that you caught us off guard. While there may be some that would take advantage of the situation, I assure that our relationship is strictly a professional one. While I'm sure that my family would love it to be otherwise, the Brotherhood is the only order to which I belong. I've just been fortunate that others believe that I am quiet capable and have given me a chance to prove myself further."

"And please, Master Lienhol," Elaina says once there's a break in the conversation, "there is no need to make anything up to me. I am no great lady nor am I anything more than a student and servant."


Artemis:

It's so soft and spoken so quickly it's almost impossible to catch, but as you mention the drinks, you can hear Elaina mutter something about never living it down under her breath.

Dalen, however, just chuckles, his voice a deep baritone to match his stature.

"Yes, milady, though I do believe we have both learned our lesson about choosing out drinks wisely. Dame Artemis Juno, yes," Dalen asks, "I am sir Dalen Felder and this is my squire, Elaina Tirel."

"It is a pleasure to meet you milady," Elaina says as she curtseys.

"Yes it is," Dalen agrees before taking your hand in his and brushing his lips across the back of it in courtly fashion. Behind him, Elaina does her best to keep from rolling her eyes.

"I do hope you've been enjoying yourself as much as we have," he adds as he straightens back up.


Damari:

"It's quite alright. I am Sir Dalen Felder and this is my squire, Elaina Tirel. I hope you've been enjoying yourself Brother Wilder. I have to admit, though, I find myself longing for the road again," Dalen says as he shakes your hand.

"It is a pleasure to meet you Brother," Elaina says with a curtsey, "I have not met many of our faith here in the capital, and I had begun to worry I would be the only one here."


Fighter 2/Aristocrat 1 | hp 15/17 | AC18 T12 FF16 | CMD 18 | F +3 R +2 W +1 | Spd 20 | Init +2 | Perception +5
Dreadguard Lienhol wrote:
"Well, I say again that I was just a boy at the time but as I recall it was just after my induction into the cult. My mentor, the Dreadguard Norswain, and your father were old friends. You had just been born and there was a celebration. We were asked to attend and that's where I first met you, just a small thing sleeping soundly in her mothers arms. How could you have possibly have appreciated the extent of this event that had been arranged solely on your behalf? Such festivities." Lienhol chuckles to himself before continuing "Norswain had done a reading, and anointed you with oil for good luck. We had also spent some time coming up with a suitable gift. Ah, but what was it...? I believe it was a small wind-up toy. A finch, a little brass thing that we had collected from Nasar."

"I remember that toy, I named him Mordred! I actually still have it believe it or not... It's in my room on my desk, next to the book of fairy tails mother use to read me." She told him, a blush of embarrassment spread across her cheeks. "It still works even." She muttered.

Serill Elamaer wrote:
When Artemis greets him he turns to her with a smile, "Glad you made it through Artemis. I must thank you for your help during training. I would not wield my blade as well if it were not for you and several others that deigned to give me advice."

"You are more then welcome Serill. If you ever want further lessons just let me know. I am sure we can find time for training sessions." Artemis said as she offered the wizard a nod. "You show great promise."

Rols:
"While that is true, and I do plan to rise within the ranks of the Order like my father did, I don't want people to say "Oh she's a Juno, what else would you expect" I want them to say "Look what Artemis did." Having a family like mine however just makes that more difficult." She sighed. "But enough on that, this is to celebrate how far we've come! That is what we should do no?" She asked with a smirk.

Dalen and Elaina:
Artemis' cheeks turn a soft pink when Dalen kissed her hand but she quickly forced it away. "Well I have never been one for parties honestly. But this one so far hasn't been too bad." She answered. "Tell me Sir Dalen, what made you want to join the Order?" She asked.


Male Probably human Computer Scientist 1/ Character Synthesizer 20/ Crazy 99

Artemis:

Dalen's expression sours somewhat when asked about joining the order. After a moment, he regains control of himself and the sour expression is replaced by a slightly rueful smile.

"Ah, milady," he says, his tone just a touch wistful, "were that it was my choice. You may have heard of my family, the Felders? I'm afraid that I am the youngest of eight and I was told that I should join for the good of the family. I still have rather more freedom than my eldest brother who is being groomed to inherit the family's businesses and other interests, and I've managed to make use of my travels as a way to build my own business interests." Dalen finishes with a much warmer smile than what he began with. A smile that is promptly banished into a frown when Elaina speaks up

"He's trying to figure out how to turn his wagon into a mobile brewery," the young squire says with a beatific smile, which is unfazed by the rather impressive glower Dalen gives her.

"Yes," he says, turning back to you and trying to regain some composure, "brewing does happen to be an interest of mine, but I'm more of a peddler than a brewmeister, as my squire is well aware," he grates our those last six words through gritted teeth.


Fighter 2/Aristocrat 1 | hp 15/17 | AC18 T12 FF16 | CMD 18 | F +3 R +2 W +1 | Spd 20 | Init +2 | Perception +5

Dalen and Elaina:
"I can understand the... expectations of family." Artemis said with a sympathetic tone. "Turning a wagon into a mobile brewery? That is an interesting idea however. What do you peddle then? She asked as she slightly crossed her arms. Thing from your family business?"


Male Probably human Computer Scientist 1/ Character Synthesizer 20/ Crazy 99

Artemis:

"Nothing from my family, no," Dalen says before leaning in and adding, sotte voce, "they think it's just a bit silly." He straightens back up and gives a devilish grin as he winks and continues on.

"I trade in a variety of goods, grain, spices, wool, whatever will sell well where I go next," he says, happy to be talking about something else besides family and politics, "I do have a few casks of different drinks that I am trying to learn how to brew, but I'm still just a novice and it's more of a hobby than a serious business endeavour."


Sorcerer 4 | HP: 19/27| AC: 14 (14 Touch, 12 Flatfooted, 18 w/Mage Armor) | CMD: 16 | Fort: +4, Reflex: +4, Will: +7 | Init: +4 | Perception: +8, Sense Motive: +2

"I believe that the power comes from the blood, and it takes the body and mind to focus that power." She takes another sip of her drink, enjoying the taste for a moment. "I was told that my blood derives from that of a silver dragon. I know not how far back it was that this blood was found to be part of my ancestors but it has served me well." She looks about at those at the party just watching for a minute before her attention turns back to Serill. "If you are a wizard, what school have you dedicated your time to?"


Artemis:
"what would you suggest to celebrate?" Rols says shooting a half smile.


Artemis Juno wrote:
Dreadguard Lienhol wrote:
"Well, I say again that I was just a boy at the time but as I recall it was just after my induction into the cult. My mentor, the Dreadguard Norswain, and your father were old friends. You had just been born and there was a celebration. We were asked to attend and that's where I first met you, just a small thing sleeping soundly in her mothers arms. How could you have possibly have appreciated the extent of this event that had been arranged solely on your behalf? Such festivities." Lienhol chuckles to himself before continuing "Norswain had done a reading, and anointed you with oil for good luck. We had also spent some time coming up with a suitable gift. Ah, but what was it...? I believe it was a small wind-up toy. A finch, a little brass thing that we had collected from Nasar."
"I remember that toy, I named him Mordred! I actually still have it believe it or not... It's in my room on my desk, next to the book of fairy tails mother use to read me." She told him, a blush of embarrassment spread across her cheeks. "It still works even." She muttered.

"Ah, that warms my heart. Truly"


Human Bard 3

Upon hearing the conversation between Lienhol and Artemis, Tordrek notes somewhat wistfully, "I remember my favorite toy as a wee lad. A iron dragon that breathed fire when ya pulled a cord on it. I was always curious how it worked, if only I could have known what it'd lead to. I've rambled on too long about myself though. Artemis, do you know how your father and Lienhol's mentor met?"


Simeon wrote:
Upon hearing the conversation between Lienhol and Artemis, Tordrek notes somewhat wistfully, "I remember my favorite toy as a wee lad. A iron dragon that breathed fire when ya pulled a cord on it. I was always curious how it worked, if only I could have known what it'd lead to. I've rambled on too long about myself though. Artemis, do you know how your father and Lienhol's mentor met?"

"Breathed fire? Isn't that dangerous for a child...?" Lienhol taps his chin, but then goes on to answer Tordrek's question "They fought alongside one another, though under what circumstances I couldn't say. It is tradition for a Juno from every generation to join the Brotherhood. The Dreadguard have a similar track record, though not as a matter of policy or tradition. The Order allows us to focus on our duties, to do as much in the name of the Red Queen as possible. It also serves to legitimize the cult to be active in such a politically prominent organization."


Male HP:66/76 AC:30 T:20 FF:21 F:+8 R:+14 W:+7 Perc:+12 Init:+10 Swashbucklers Rapier +19, 1d6+10 CMB:+9 CMD:+25 Human Swashbuckler 9 (Inspired Blade)

His uniform was just as stiff as he was...well at least it appeared that he was not moving. Keep it together..just a little bit longer
Listening to the Headmaster give his speech and then watching in amazement at the brass the person had at interrupting the headmaster...
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19
Well that not good...what the hell is going on now??

As the head master cuts his speech short and walks away, Alistair notices the Mia Fey and Ivan but stares at the young man that is beside them for some time.
Knowledge Local: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13
Ok so who the hell is that. Great another Lieutenant that has no clue what to do. Hope he is not my officer.

In a low voice, Allistair mumbles to himself and then starts to walk around the room to...
Lets see who is who here

He makes his way to the bar first.
A mug of Vargdrinka...Please and Thank you.
Taking a sip he will walk around the room until he hears a conversation that draws his attention.
Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25


Fighter 2/Aristocrat 1 | hp 15/17 | AC18 T12 FF16 | CMD 18 | F +3 R +2 W +1 | Spd 20 | Init +2 | Perception +5

Dalen and Elaina:
"And being in the Order would give you the ability to move around a lot more, and have a steady pay." Artemis said. "It is a good way to make the best out of your situation." She told him.

Rols:
"Well, I'm fairly sure I'm terrible at dancing." Artemis told him with a shrug. "And honestly my idea of celebrating is far more, simpler. So why don't we see if we can find a drink that isn't going to change us with magic and is just good old fashion alcohol?" She asked.

"I do remember a few of my father's old "war" friends that would come by from time to time... but I was always so busy with my studies that I never really got to spend time around them." She said with a sign. "After all, a Juno's place is in the Order. For as long as there has been an Order, there has been a Juno in the Order." Artemis told them, as if reciting something told to her by someone else.


Male Elf Wizard 5 | Neutral | Hitpoints 56/56 | Armour Class 24[28] Touch 19 Flat Footed 15[19] CMD 24 | Fortitude +6 Reflex +9 Will +8 | Perception +18 Initiative +16 |

"I wouldn't say that I have any preference. I spend equal time studying almost all magicks though I despise necromantic workings and have no use for enchantments. If I had to choose I would probably say that divination comes naturally to me. Though of course, nothing that has anything to do with magick is simple. Perhaps that is different with sorcery. Unfortunately I have never spent much time around your kind."


Artemis:
"Good old fashion alcohol it is," Rols flashes a toothy grin, "and maybe after a few we will get you dancing like the Posh over there" Rols laughs has he heads to the bar


Male Half-Elf Investigator(Empiricist) 4 (Shield Inc.) | HP 38 / 38 | AC 23; T 15; FF 19 | CMD 20 | F +5; R +10; W +6 | Init +7 | Per +13

After a few moments, Alvin holds up the empty glass, examining it with a disappointed expression, "Must have gotten a dud. I'll have to lodge a complaint..."

Serill Elamaer wrote:
"I wouldn't say that I have any preference. I spend equal time studying almost all magicks though I despise necromantic workings and have no use for enchantments. If I had to choose I would probably say that divination comes naturally to me. Though of course, nothing that has anything to do with magick is simple. Perhaps that is different with sorcery. Unfortunately I have never spent much time around your kind."

Shrugging, he turns his wandering attention back to the discussing mages, "A diviner that's right! I'm glad to hear you diversify. Divination's always seemed bit rubbish for a discipline if you ask me.", Alvin winces despite himself before covering it with a grin, "No offense of course. It's just that one hardly needs magic to know how most people will react. We're predictable creatures, us mortals. Then again, I shy away from the proper arcane arts anyway...feels too much like cheating."

Dreadguard Lienhol wrote:
"Breathed fire? Isn't that dangerous for a child...?" Lienhol taps his chin, but then goes on to answer Tordrek's question "They fought alongside one another, though under what circumstances I couldn't say. It is tradition for a Juno from every generation to join the Brotherhood. The Dreadguard have a similar track record, though not as a matter of policy or tradition. The Order allows us to focus on our duties, to do as much in the name of the Red Queen as possible. It also serves to legitimize the cult to be active in such a politically prominent organization."

A little later on, the half-elf slips into another conversation circle, "Bah. We worry far too much about endangering children. If the child is bright they learn quickly to treat the toy with respect. And if not...well at least you've learned to lower your expectations for them somewhat, no?"

Alvin smiles, "Still it's good to see you made it through Lienhol. I'd offer you a glass to celebrate but I understand the Red Queen won't even let their Dreadguard drink?", the smile turns to a mocking shudder, "Gods, I'd have split before the oracles ever had a chance to name me. Then again, maybe there is wisdom among them. The title seems to fit you as snug as those remarkable metallic digits."


Fighter 2/Aristocrat 1 | hp 15/17 | AC18 T12 FF16 | CMD 18 | F +3 R +2 W +1 | Spd 20 | Init +2 | Perception +5

Rols:
"My friend, if you can get me on the dance for I will be shock." Artemis said as she placed her hand on Rols's shoulder as they head to the bar. "Bet I can drink you under the bar though!" She smirked.


NG Gnome Arcanist (Brown-Fur Transmuter) | HP: 14/14 | AC: 12 (12 Tch, 11 Fl) | CMB: -2, CMD: 9 | F: +2, R: +1, W: +3; (+2 vs llusion, -2 Vs trap/hazards) | Init: +2 | Perc: +2 (-2 vs Surprise), SM: +0 | Speed 20ft/15ft | Arcane Reservoir: 1/5 | Spells 1st: 1/4 | Active conditions: Medium Encumbrance.
Artemis Juno wrote:
"You seem rather lively." Artemis told him with a slight smirk. "Does anything really dampen your spirits?" She asked

The gnome furrows his brow, purses his lips and stands quite still. "Life is rough m'lady. Sometimes, you have to laugh, or you'll cry. When absolutely necessary, I can of course be serious."

His smile returning to his lips, he pirouettes a few times around her. Once the air is full of rays of light he adds, "But only when it's absolutely necessary! After all, life is a hell of a ride!"


Alvin Timo wrote:
Dreadguard Lienhol wrote:
"Breathed fire? Isn't that dangerous for a child...?" Lienhol taps his chin, but then goes on to answer Tordrek's question "They fought alongside one another, though under what circumstances I couldn't say. It is tradition for a Juno from every generation to join the Brotherhood. The Dreadguard have a similar track record, though not as a matter of policy or tradition. The Order allows us to focus on our duties, to do as much in the name of the Red Queen as possible. It also serves to legitimize the cult to be active in such a politically prominent organization."
A little later on, the half-elf slips into another conversation circle, "Bah. We worry far too much about endangering children. If the child is bright they learn quickly to treat the toy with respect. And if not...well at least you've learned to learned to lower your expectations for them somewhat, no?"

Lienhold turns to greet the fellow half-elf with a smile "That's quite the callous viewpoint, Alvin. I can't say that I share it. After all, aren't we responsible for the well-being of those whom we protect? Lest the price of their lessons is paid in flesh."

Quote:
Alvin smiles, "Still it's good to see you made it through Lienhol. I'd offer you a glass to celebrate but I understand the Red Queen won't even let their Dreadguard drink?", the smile turns to a mocking shudder, "Gods, I'd have split before the oracles ever had a chance to name me. Then again, maybe there is wisdom among them. The title seems to fit you as snug as those remarkable metallic digits."

"I very much appreciate having purpose...direction. I forgo the earthly pleasures, that my spirit may draw ever closer to Hers."


Fighter 2/Aristocrat 1 | hp 15/17 | AC18 T12 FF16 | CMD 18 | F +3 R +2 W +1 | Spd 20 | Init +2 | Perception +5
Posh Nanjet wrote:
Artemis Juno wrote:
"You seem rather lively." Artemis told him with a slight smirk. "Does anything really dampen your spirits?" She asked

The gnome furrows his brow, purses his lips and stands quite still. "Life is rough m'lady. Sometimes, you have to laugh, or you'll cry. When absolutely necessary, I can of course be serious."

His smile returning to his lips, he pirouettes a few times around her. Once the air is full of rays of light he adds, "But only when it's absolutely necessary! After all, life is a hell of a ride!"

Artemis couldn't help but let out a laugh. "I guess I can see what you mean. After all to each their own!" She said with a smile.


Male Probably human Computer Scientist 1/ Character Synthesizer 20/ Crazy 99

Artemis:

"Agreed, and hopefully I can get a certain squire to stop pranking me along the way," Dalen says with a sidelong glance to Elaina.


Anduriel Silverthorn

Moving around the room and mingling, Anduriel spends time interactig with those both familiar and new. There was no idea what assignments they might all have come tomorrow and anyone here could be the person you counted on to have your back later.

Making her way around the room she finds herself once again coming to the graduate with his squire. At least she didn't look as mortified now.

"What's life without a bit of entertainment once in a while? A good prank is a fun break in boredom." she says, overhearing the end of Dalen's response.


Male HP:66/76 AC:30 T:20 FF:21 F:+8 R:+14 W:+7 Perc:+12 Init:+10 Swashbucklers Rapier +19, 1d6+10 CMB:+9 CMD:+25 Human Swashbuckler 9 (Inspired Blade)

I see I am not the only one sizing up the future...our lives depend on them.
While walking around the room he notices the half-elf mingling in and out of this or that group, always polite in her comments. Listening to her comment about entertainment, Alistair decides this is as good a place to start as any.
My Lady, pardon my lack of etiquette in interrupting your conversation, but I could not help hearing your comment about entertainment.Glancing at the balcony where the Headmaster made his shortened speech. No one knows what tomorrow will bring us, one should make the most of each day.
He looks at the others in the group, Extending his hand to each individual in a polite manor.
Wellington, Alistair Wellington..and you are?


Brak:

"A little entertainment is good as long as it's not interfering with required duties. Tonight, we enjoy the fun and festivities. Tomorrow we worry about things like why the headmaster wasn't his usual eloquent self.


Anduriel Silverthorn

"Anduriel Silverthorne" Andi replies with a warm smile, "A pleasure to meet you Alistair, and congratulations!"


NG Gnome Arcanist (Brown-Fur Transmuter) | HP: 14/14 | AC: 12 (12 Tch, 11 Fl) | CMB: -2, CMD: 9 | F: +2, R: +1, W: +3; (+2 vs llusion, -2 Vs trap/hazards) | Init: +2 | Perc: +2 (-2 vs Surprise), SM: +0 | Speed 20ft/15ft | Arcane Reservoir: 1/5 | Spells 1st: 1/4 | Active conditions: Medium Encumbrance.

"Well said Alistair. I'm known as Posh." offers the gnome, bowing slightly.


Sorcerer 4 | HP: 19/27| AC: 14 (14 Touch, 12 Flatfooted, 18 w/Mage Armor) | CMD: 16 | Fort: +4, Reflex: +4, Will: +7 | Init: +4 | Perception: +8, Sense Motive: +2

"Ah I see. It goes both ways though. I know of the various schools of magic and some basics on how wizards are able to cast spells. Thats all I know at least.". As Artemis talks with Serill she faces her. "I don't believe we've met. Lily, the pleasure is all mine." She extends her hand towards Artemis.


Male Probably human Computer Scientist 1/ Character Synthesizer 20/ Crazy 99

Anduriel and Artemis:

"Perhaps, but the pranks do get tedious after awhile," Dalen says with a shrug, "but I think poor Elaina got the worst of it today, though it could have been worse, at least it wasn't some effect that shrunk her and not her clothes or did something else equally embarrassing."

Elaina, by this point, is quiet as she stands next to Dalen, though cheeks are still blushing from embarrassment.


hope no one minds the -slightly- scripted intro. It all happened within about 1-2 turns mechanic wise(not including poor Micheal's fate), so it was really fast


Fighter 2/Aristocrat 1 | hp 15/17 | AC18 T12 FF16 | CMD 18 | F +3 R +2 W +1 | Spd 20 | Init +2 | Perception +5

Nah I think we'll be fine. It's a good thing that Artemis and Rols didn't get into the hard stuff yet! XD


Male Elf Wizard 5 | Neutral | Hitpoints 56/56 | Armour Class 24[28] Touch 19 Flat Footed 15[19] CMD 24 | Fortitude +6 Reflex +9 Will +8 | Perception +18 Initiative +16 |

No it's perfectly fine with me. I rolled with it making Serill basically paralysed at the unexpected danger.


Do we have our equipment?


Fighter 2/Aristocrat 1 | hp 15/17 | AC18 T12 FF16 | CMD 18 | F +3 R +2 W +1 | Spd 20 | Init +2 | Perception +5

If your character would have brought your weapon, like Artemis, if not, no.


Spells it is!


Human Bard 3

Hey all, I'll have an alias for Tordrek up soon.


Male Elf Wizard 5 | Neutral | Hitpoints 56/56 | Armour Class 24[28] Touch 19 Flat Footed 15[19] CMD 24 | Fortitude +6 Reflex +9 Will +8 | Perception +18 Initiative +16 |

5 gp that team 1 takes down the cultists first :D


Serill Elamaer wrote:
5 gp that team 1 takes down the cultists first :D

extra XP for the first to end the combat!

also, each group is facing 6 cultists, not a combined 6 total this time around. However, If one team finishes up quicker than another, I'll let them post actions to take to aid the other. This of course earns you bragging rights for the time being.


Anduriel Silverthorn

Yeah I'd definitely have my weapon. Would our dress uniforms exclude armor though?


yeah, most dress uniforms would require you having no armor. Although, they would likely have -some- metal or leather like bits, so you can have 1 ac from armor while wearing it. Shields would be on a personal basis, some would take them, others would leave them as they wouldn't want to carry the extra weight.


Anduriel Silverthorn

Okay so Rapier, not armor current AC 12 (13 if dress uniform adds +1) thanks.


I've had an idea. Its something an old group of mine did for initiative. I was thinking it might help keep combats from bogging down if/when someone has IRL come up.

group initiative- where we take one roll for enemies, and one roll for the party (each at highest Initiative). Highest Int. goes first, then the other side goes. Thoughts on this?

and yes, everyone in parade/dress uniform is considered to have an armor of +1 with 0 spell failure chance.


Male Human Fighter 4 | HP: 39/48, NL: 0 | AC 20/11/19 | F+8 R +3 W+3 (+4 vs. Fear) | Per: +3 | Init: +1 | Arrows: 20

Yah, Dalen's AC is a whopping 12. ;P

So, I'd like to ask about three things. The first is are these campaigns taking place in the same continuity? For example, would we ever run across the other table in out travels?

Second, to keep this from cluttering up the gameplay thread, I'd like to know if it would be possible to swap out the reactionary trait for Elaina or find some compromise that makes it relevant? I understand about reducing the workload, but I was assuming that she'd have her own initiative since she was a separate character from Dalen. If you want, I can show you what I was talking about in the gameplay thread. Trust me, it makes life a lot easier.

Third, How would you handle an unarmed character trying to slam the head of an enemy into the back of a chair or the corner of a table? Dalen is in end the threat mode, and he's a bit brutal in his tactics when like that.


Yes, you are all technically fighting together, just against different enemies. While you may not be likely to "run across" each other in the world, at least for a while, there will be times the groups will be in close proximity. As you progress, depending on how successful you are, you may hear tales of each other, and, who knows, maybe a friendly rivalry will form between the groups. I have never had the opportunity to try this idea out, as most IRL games sorta work against this concept, but maybe it can work with PbP format.

I sent you a PM just moments ago regarding Eliana.

I'd say it would function as a grapple, with the "free unarmed damage" being replaced by improvised weapon damage + strength. I''ll even add in a fort save or be staggered, dazzled on a pass for the creativity.


Male Human Fighter 4 | HP: 39/48, NL: 0 | AC 20/11/19 | F+8 R +3 W+3 (+4 vs. Fear) | Per: +3 | Init: +1 | Arrows: 20
thelizardwizard wrote:

I've had an idea. Its something an old group of mine did for initiative. I was thinking it might help keep combats from bogging down if/when someone has IRL come up.

group initiative- where we take one roll for enemies, and one roll for the party (each at highest Initiative). Highest Int. goes first, then the other side goes. Thoughts on this?

That's how I have done it, though there's something to be said for block initiative, which is what most if not all of the PBPs I'm playing in use. The main difference is each type of enemy has it's own init and pcs that fall between the enemy blocks are in blocks of themselves. The problem with group init is it tends to result in rocket tag scenarios earlier in the level progression.

Possibly needless explanation of how Block Initiative works:

So in this scenario, Everyone, but Dalen and Elaina is in a block of their own, then the enemies act, then Dalen and Elaina. The order people post in the first block determines how the actions resolve, and neatly solves having to reconcile everyone's actions since most players will put in contingencies if things happen that invalidates their actions, such as the enemy they were targeting getting dropped.

And sweet, I know what Dalen's next few feats are going to involve. :D


Who brings all their gear to a party?


Anduriel Silverthorn

I'd definitely call that a grapple. Grab and succeed at the grapple check if successful damage is slamming them into an object.

I've played a grappler with a penchant for defenestration before and that's how it was handled. Each round if you maintain the grapple successfully you do it again, slamming the person's head repeatedly against the table etc.

Unless you have improved grapple you take an AoO though, and he's armed. You could also try disarming him.

I'm not the biggest fan of block initiative most of the time and interestingly enough most of the games I'm in don't use it.


Male Human Fighter 4 | HP: 39/48, NL: 0 | AC 20/11/19 | F+8 R +3 W+3 (+4 vs. Fear) | Per: +3 | Init: +1 | Arrows: 20
Lienhol wrote:
Who brings all their gear to a party?

I have character that might, but Gkirkhan is a bit of a show off anyway. :P


yes, block initiative seems good, however in fights with no "boss/leader" enemy, I was wondering if just having a roll off, then let the first come first serve policy take over would be more effective. It would let folk post their actions when they are available, and not force them to wait, then be unavailable when they can finally act. So in this case, for team 1, it would have been the cultists highest initiative of +3, vs Serill and his ungodly +13. Wining side takes first turn. Then revert back to block initiative if different/more powerful enemies are present.


Male Elf Wizard 5 | Neutral | Hitpoints 56/56 | Armour Class 24[28] Touch 19 Flat Footed 15[19] CMD 24 | Fortitude +6 Reflex +9 Will +8 | Perception +18 Initiative +16 |

That would mean only one person would ever need to bother with getting high initiative, giving everyone else free +10 or more initiative. Not sure that you would want that happening. Having the divination school will make my initiative just keep growing.
EDIT: +5 dex +4 improved initiative +2 forewarned +2 reactionary = +13. It's legit I swear :P
I like the block idea though.

@Dreadguard. I know right. *pulls out greatsword that I happened to have tucked away at a graduation ceremony* XD

101 to 150 of 508 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post Discussion / Inn of meta-knowledge and what-not All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.