Searching Low Level Scenario with Ghost Touch weapon


Pathfinder Society

1 to 50 of 86 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Scarab Sages

Pathfinder Lost Omens Subscriber

Hello,

does someone know a low level scenario which have a ghost touch weapon on the Chronicle?

Thx in advance

Teramond

Dark Archive 5/5 Regional Venture-Coordinator, Great Plains

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Cherry picking scenarios for their loot is frowned upon, in general. Best not to ask such questions on the messageboards...

Dark Archive

try bonekeep...

Grand Lodge

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

Careful.

What you are asking, can be considered Chronicle fishing.

See how the community sees it, here.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Besides, it will take awhile before you can earn 8000 gp to purchase a ghost touch weapon. Buy yourself some Ghost Salts in the mean time.

Sczarni 5/5 5/55/5

Pathfinder Starfinder Society Subscriber

Ghost salt, Oils of Magic Weapon, and Oils of Bless Weapon.


5 people marked this as a favorite.
blackbloodtroll wrote:

Careful.

What you are asking, can be considered Chronicle fishing.

See how the community sees it, here.

I hate that this is the community's* stance...

*the community framed as the opinions of a small group of vocal personages on the forums, which is a different kettle of fish entirely...

Dark Archive

Ryzoken wrote:
blackbloodtroll wrote:

Careful.

What you are asking, can be considered Chronicle fishing.

See how the community sees it, here.

I hate that this is the community's* stance...

*the community framed as the opinions of a small group of vocal personages on the forums, which is a different kettle of fish entirely...

well some of us dont care what you think...

cheating is cheating...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
wellsmv wrote:

well some of us dont care what you think...

cheating is cheating...

A) what rule is broken by looking at a chronicle sheet?

B) You just violated the Core Tenets of organized play as described on page 5 of the guide.

Silver Crusade

Looking up details of any adventure in advance of playing it is cheating. That obviously includes what types of monsters you'll face, key plot points, how to solve any puzzles, etc. But it also includes looking at the chronicle sheet.

Dark Archive

Ryzoken wrote:
wellsmv wrote:

well some of us dont care what you think...

cheating is cheating...

A) what rule is broken by looking at a chronicle sheet?

B) You just violated the Core Tenets of organized play as described on page 5 of the guide.

you broke it by suggesting cheating is ok..


Fromper wrote:

Looking up details of any adventure in advance of playing it is cheating. That obviously includes what types of monsters you'll face, key plot points, how to solve any puzzles, etc. But it also includes looking at the chronicle sheet.

According to which specific enumerated rule?

To be clear, my position on all this is easily summed up thusly: I'm in favor of fun. It's not fun to look at a chronicle sheet and see what's basically a blank sheet save for 1 xp, 2 pa, and x gold. It's also not fun to have stuff spoiled for you by inconsiderate players, but this is easily policed by simple social contract. If someone spoils adventure stuff, tell them to knock it off. If they keep doing it, kick them out. There is no solution for secret chronicle sheets being effectively blank when applied to the wrong character beyond making the information on them available for player perusal.

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Fromper wrote:

Looking up details of any adventure in advance of playing it is cheating. That obviously includes what types of monsters you'll face, key plot points, how to solve any puzzles, etc. But it also includes looking at the chronicle sheet.

Unless you plan to GM it.


2 people marked this as a favorite.

Lets not go down this path again on this thread. There are plenty of threads on this board that discuss all the pros and cons of looking at chronicles before playing. The most recent one is a good place to expound your opinion on the issue. I believe it is new enough that paladins wouldn't smite you out of spite.

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.

To answer the OP: before you have enough fame to purchase a Ghost Touch weapon, try these items:

Holy weapon balm
Spiritbane Spikes
Spirit Firecracker
Ghost Salt
Holy Water
Oil of Bless Weapon

Sovereign Court 5/5 RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8

Also to the OP. if you have a certain AP, elixir of spirit sight is a must have for my charcters 'utility belt'

Liberty's Edge 5/5

Guys, lets dial back the, "You're cheating," "No you're cheating," rhetoric.

Bottom line, its bad form to cherry pick a scenario. Chronicles can have spoulers, so reading them us the same as reading a scenario before playing, with no reason but to have foreknowledge.

Sovereign Court

Ipso facto playing a scenario after GMing it is cheating.

5/5 RPG Superstar 2014 Top 32

RoshVagari wrote:
Ipso facto playing a scenario after GMing it is cheating.

The Guide says that you must notify your GM when you do this, and your GM does have the right to ask you not to play if they don't trust you not to ruin the scenario for the other players.

Grand Lodge 4/5 Venture-Captain, California—Sacramento aka FLite

1 person marked this as a favorite.
RoshVagari wrote:
Ipso facto playing a scenario after GMing it is cheating.

That would be very bad for my region. Since I am one of the few people willing to run a scenario before playing it, they would lose a lot of my GMing.

Grand Lodge 2/5

Matthew Morris wrote:
Also to the OP. if you have a certain AP, elixir of spirit sight is a must have for my charcters 'utility belt'

If you've got enough gold sitting around to buy a 1000g consumable then you don't need to cherry-pick a scenario that has a specific +2 equivalent weapon because you should have fame enough to buy one already.

Silver Crusade

FLite wrote:
RoshVagari wrote:
Ipso facto playing a scenario after GMing it is cheating.
That would be very bad for my region. Since I am one of the few people willing to run a scenario before playing it, they would lose a lot of my GMing.

I think most regions suffer this problem. Also I read that post from RoshVagari as tongue-in-cheek (especially given the number of ★s).

Liberty's Edge 5/5

1 person marked this as a favorite.
RoshVagari wrote:
Ipso facto playing a scenario after GMing it is cheating.

This is incorrect. The guide makes specific exceptions for GMing first.

Shadow Lodge 5/5 5/5 Regional Venture-Coordinator, Northwest aka WalterGM

6 people marked this as a favorite.

I dislike chronicle fishing because it brings what I feel is an unneeded metagame factor into a scenario.

We all know that metagaming exists to an extent in any game, PFS included, so it's something we have to be aware of. Some of it is unavoidable and relatively harmless. Like selecting a race because it supports your class and build, rather than selecting your race solely due to lore and flavor. But when people ask for chronicle rewards, it indicates for me a desire for mechanical advantage with no basis in character.

For example, you can get a ghost touch weapon when you have enough fame. It's not a unique item, or anything of that nature. Trying to find a sheet that lists it as a reward is just a way of getting that weapon a little sooner, because you want that advantage---having it at level 4 or 5 instead of level 7. That's the only reason I can think off.

Now something as relatively innocuous as a ghost touch weapon might not seem problematic, but it is symptomatic of the issue. And it is off-putting to me as a GM.

Not only does it tell me that my player has spoiled some amount of the adventure, but also that they aren't playing the scenario just to play--they are expecting to get that reward. And how upset are they going to be if they don't get that reward? That's a whole mess I'd have to deal with. And this exact thing happened before in my area. People played a scenario because they expected certain rewards, however they failed to meet the conditions to get them and, as a result, felt jilted at the end of the scenario.

Spoiler:
A table missed out on the best boon in Season 4 as a result of in game actions

I have often seen the argument of "reward X compliments character Y--that's why I'm looking for Z." This argument is flawed at its core because you can get credit for every scenario in existence at least two times--once for GMing and once for playing. So if you come across a reward you want on character Y, while playing another character, simply GM scenario Z and apply it to character Y. There is no reason for "chronicle fishing" because this is the case.

5/5

I think there's a difference between reading the scenario blurb and deciding from that which character you will have the most fun playing vs. attacking an NPC during the game because you want to take their shiny thing you saw on the chronicle.

Liberty's Edge 3/5 5/5 Venture-Captain, Nebraska—Omaha

Walter Sheppard wrote:
So if you come across a reward you want on character Y, while playing another character, simply GM scenario Z and apply...

I guess this is an incentive for more people to take up the mantle to GM. I am not sure I would want to be at a table where the GM is running the scenario only to get the chronicle.

Sovereign Court 4/5 5/5 Venture-Lieutenant, Netherlands—Leiden aka Ascalaphus

Is it possible the OP misunderstood the fame rules, and thought a chronicle sheet was the only way to get a ghost touch weapon?

Grand Lodge

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Companion Subscriber

Please move the chronicle fishing discussion, to the chronicle fishing thread.

I already provided a link, so you know where to go.

Shadow Lodge

Paizo Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion Subscriber; Starfinder Superscriber
Ascalaphus wrote:
Is it possible the OP misunderstood the fame rules, and thought a chronicle sheet was the only way to get a ghost touch weapon?

Is ghost touch in Core?

5/5

pH unbalanced wrote:
Ascalaphus wrote:
Is it possible the OP misunderstood the fame rules, and thought a chronicle sheet was the only way to get a ghost touch weapon?
Is ghost touch in Core?

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/magicItems/weapons.html#weapons-ghost-to uch

5/5 5/55/55/5

At smaller venues dming a scenario thats been run before can be tricky

Liberty's Edge 5/5

blackbloodtroll wrote:

Please move the chronicle fishing discussion, to the chronicle fishing thread.

I already provided a link, so you know where to go.

The guy was asking about chronicle fishing (for a ghost touch weapon). So I'm not sure why that discussion isn't appropriate for this thread.

5/5 5/55/55/5

3 people marked this as a favorite.

Reading the scenario before running it is cheating

Liberty's Edge 5/5

3 people marked this as a favorite.
BigNorseWolf wrote:
Reading the scenario before running it is cheating

That's just cold...


Because information from it is used in scenarios, reading the Core Rulebook is cheating.

The Exchange

Ryzoken wrote:
Because information from it is used in scenarios, reading the Core Rulebook is cheating.

Not necessarily the same thing having knowledge of say traps or ambushes could give a character an unfair advantage leading to better resource management over the course of their life.

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Ryzoken wrote:
Because information from it is used in scenarios, reading the Core Rulebook is cheating.

The snark here is unhelpful and doesn't actually advance your argument.

Searching for a chronicle sheet you don't have requires that you read scenarios before you have played them. Reading a scenario in advance is strongly discouraged unless you are going to be running it in the near future. This is because there are players that have trouble managing the advance knowledge they obtain from reading a scenario and wind up spoiling or metagaming (intentionally or otherwise).

Not terribly difficult.

If you want to do it and not impact anybody, be discrete and non-disruptive about it. People won't smile at that practice, though.

Sczarni 5/5 5/55/5

4 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Starfinder Society Subscriber

This is why I've never read the Core Rulebook.

I figure if a GM says that I can't shoot my laser pistol straight at the ground and gain a flash bonus on my spook primitives check, then I'll just fall back to using my double-headed katana and called shot them instead.

The Exchange Venture-Lieutenant, Texas—Austin aka countchocula

Nefreet wrote:

This is why I've never read the Core Rulebook.

I figure if a GM says that I can't shoot my laser pistol straight at the ground and gain a flash bonus on my spook primitives check, then I'll just fall back to using my double-headed katana and called shot them instead.

eh seen worse

Sczarni 5/5 5/55/5

Pathfinder Starfinder Society Subscriber

And that's what you get for reading!

Shame on you.


Acedio wrote:

Searching for a chronicle sheet you don't have requires that you read scenarios before you have played them. Reading a scenario in advance is strongly discouraged unless you are going to be running it in the near future. This is because there are players that have trouble managing the advance knowledge they obtain from reading a scenario and wind up spoiling or metagaming (intentionally or otherwise).

Not terribly difficult.

If you want to do it and not impact anybody, be discrete and non-disruptive about it. People won't smile at that practice, though.

Here's the thing: Currently, one needs the scenario in hand to access the chronicle. If, however, chronicle perusal were less demonized, it would be feasible to create a database with chronicle rewards and make it available. Then those who want information on chronicle contents would have a location to look at rewards without accessing the entire scenario.

Not that you actually need to read the entire scenario to get at the chronicle. Those are commonly kept at the end of the document, thus opening the .pdf and skipping to the last page without reading the 20-30 pages between is entirely possible, preserving much of the scenario's mystery.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Companion Subscriber
Andrew Christian wrote:
blackbloodtroll wrote:

Please move the chronicle fishing discussion, to the chronicle fishing thread.

I already provided a link, so you know where to go.

The guy was asking about chronicle fishing (for a ghost touch weapon). So I'm not sure why that discussion isn't appropriate for this thread.

If you are offended by the suggestion, that one discuss a topic, in a thread, specific to said topic, I am sorry.


blackbloodtroll wrote:
Andrew Christian wrote:
blackbloodtroll wrote:

Please move the chronicle fishing discussion, to the chronicle fishing thread.

I already provided a link, so you know where to go.

The guy was asking about chronicle fishing (for a ghost touch weapon). So I'm not sure why that discussion isn't appropriate for this thread.

If you are offended by the suggestion that one discuss a topic in a thread specific to said topic, I am sorry.

The suggestion didn't offend me, but your comma splices did!

Shadow Lodge

9 people marked this as a favorite.

Why Chronicle Fishing Is Frowned Upon:

Quote:

GM: Okay, folks, welcome to Scenario xx: 'The Blatant Hunt For The Ghost Touch Rapier'. What's everyone playing?

Player 1: Swashbuckler 3
Player 2: Swashbuckler 3
Player 3: Swashbuckler 4 here as well.
Player 4: Unchained Rouge 3.
Player 5: Fighter 4, aiming for Duelist...

GM: Okay, someone's got to play a healer or caster of some sort, and a two-handed weapon wielder might not be a bad idea either...

All Players: NO!!! I want that sword on this character...

GM: Come on, folks, you're not going to make it through the adventure like this.

Player 2: Could we make it far enough to get the Rapier on the chronicle and then run away???

GM: No.

Player 3: Okay, I'll play the level 1 Pregen Cleric. Wait, do we still get the Rapier if we play down???

GM: I give up...

Sovereign Court

Ryzoken wrote:

Here's the thing: Currently, one needs the scenario in hand to access the chronicle. If, however, chronicle perusal were less demonized, it would be feasible to create a database with chronicle rewards and make it available. Then those who want information on chronicle contents would have a location to look at rewards without accessing the entire scenario.

Not that you actually need to read the entire scenario to get at the chronicle. Those are commonly kept at the end of the document, thus opening the .pdf and skipping to the last page without reading the 20-30 pages between is entirely possible, preserving much of the scenario's mystery.

Except some chronicles have boons on them that are awarded based on decisions made in the scenario. Such information is a spoiler (ranging from minor to major of course). That seems to me like it would not "preserve much of the scenario's mystery."


Acedio wrote:
Except some chronicles have boons on them that are awarded based on decisions made in the scenario. Such information is a spoiler (ranging from minor to major of course). That seems to me like it would not "preserve much of the scenario's mystery."

You misunderstand.

The proposed database would include the effects of the boon, but not how to achieve it.
For example, Confirmation, a scenario pretty much everyone should be conversant with, would have the following data:
Spoiler:
Boon: cheap wayfinder enhancements, cheap wayfinder
Boon: Single use augury effect for success conditions
Boon: +1 on knowledge checks while in Grand Lodge
Gear: <list of available items>
Gp: <gp by tier>

No data on how to obtain the boons, or loot, just that the stuff is achievable in the scenario. If you fail to get what you wanted, you screwed up. Contrast to how it is now, where you show up to a scenario and its a crap shoot whether the stuff on the chronicle is even desirable for the character you played.

Sovereign Court

Feel free to scenario farm then, I guess? At the end of the day it really only impacts your group and whoever you play with at a convention.

Having it as a widely supported practice is probably not good for the health of the campaign.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

It comes down to this: knowing the items on a chronicle ahead of time tells you a vast amount of information about what is in the scenario. Scrolls of X tell you that you will face a spellcaster with an ability to cast said scroll. A potion of invisibility tells you that an enemy may be invisible and you should get something to counter it. A rapier of ghost touch tells you that you will face some form of dex based fighting class that may be crit fishing and that the ability to attack incorporeal creatures may be important. I could go on and on and on. The point is, items on the chronicle tell you WAY WAY WAY more about the encounters in the scenario than any player needs to know.


Acedio wrote:
Feel free to scenario farm then, I guess?

So if you're in a small playgroup who doesn't have the playerbase to go through a scenario more than once, you're just screwed?

Or, we could solve the actual issue of information restriction via a crowdsourced databank of spoiler free chronicle content made available openly and stop demonizing people for wanting to make informed decisions on how they spend their time.

1 to 50 of 86 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Organized Play / Pathfinder Society / Searching Low Level Scenario with Ghost Touch weapon All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.