News: Paizo is partnering with Tor for Pathfinder Tales Novels!


Tales

1 to 50 of 190 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>
Paizo Glitterati Robot

4 people marked this as a favorite.

From our press release:

Quote:

Tor Books, a leading global publisher of science fiction and fantasy, announced today that it will publish Pathfinder Tales, a series of novels based on Paizo Inc.'s best-selling Pathfinder tabletop adventure games. The first Tor Pathfinder Tales book, Lord of Runes, by Dave Gross, releases June 16th, 2015, with additional releases to follow bi-monthly.

The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game has topped RPG sales charts for several years running, and since its launch in 2008 Pathfinder has grown to become one of the most important and best-loved tabletop RPGs in the world. In 2013, Paizo released the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game to widespread acclaim among gamers. The Pathfinder world of Golarion features brave adventurers fighting to survive in a sword-and-sorcery world beset by magic and evil. Pathfinder has been translated into five languages, and has inspired computer games, comic books, audio dramas, gaming figurines and toys.

The Pathfinder Tales novel line, previously published by Paizo itself, launched in 2010 with Prince of Wolves by Dave Gross, and has included more than 20 exciting fantasy novels by Tim Pratt, Michael A. Stackpole, Ed Greenwood, James L. Sutter, Howard Andrew Jones, Liane Merciel, and others.

The move to Tor Books brings with it a shift to a larger trade paperback format, and also brings Pathfinder Tales to a broad eBook distribution for the first time since the line's launch 5 years ago. Editorial direction of Pathfinder Tales remains in the hands of Paizo Managing Editor James L. Sutter.

"In less than a decade Paizo has built Pathfinder into the world's bestselling and fastest growing role playing game," says Tor Publisher Tom Doherty. "We are delighted to be working with these creative people in the development of a great line of fantasy novels. This line will explore and illuminate that world. It will add an RPG dimension to Tor as it entertains and hopefully expands the audience in both game and book."

"Pathfinder Tales brings the Pathfinder world to thrilling life, but we've always striven to make our novels more than simple media tie-ins," says Paizo Publisher Erik Mona. "Tor Books is the best partner to deliver our fiction to a wider audience of fantasy readers, and we look forward to working with them to chart a new and exciting future for the line, with bigger books, more electronic formats, and wider distribution throughout the world."


Well, you guys did say you had big news.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

so what, if any, impact does this have with subscribers?


Are we also going to see any hardcovers?

Silver Crusade Contributor

2 people marked this as a favorite.

So the physical size is going up? :(

I liked the novels better...

(Assuming I'm not misunderstanding the "trade paperback" thing.)

Managing Editor

John Kretzer wrote:
Are we also going to see any hardcovers?

Not at first, but it's not out of the question.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Maps, Starfinder Maps Subscriber

So presumably your in house publisher has now got lots of free time?

I want another Mona AP instalment! It's been too long.

Managing Editor

Kalindlara wrote:

So the physical size is going up? :(

I liked the novels better...

(Assuming I'm not misunderstanding the "trade paperback" thing.)

Just to clarify for folks: Trade paperbacks are basically halfway between hardcovers and mass market (the small-size books like you might find in a rack at the grocery store). Odds are, you've probably already got some at home—they've been around for a long time, and are getting more and more popular because they allow for bigger cover art, higher-quality and more durable paper, often larger print, etc. Here's an example of the size difference:

Mass Market versus Trade Paperback

Hopefully that helps explain the change. (And while that example doesn't really utilize the extra cover space, I can't wait for you to see what *we're* doing with it. Every one of the new covers has been head and shoulders above what we were able to do on the smaller scale...)

Managing Editor

Steve Geddes wrote:

So presumably your in house publisher has now got lots of free time?

I want another Mona AP instalment! It's been too long.

If only. :)


Pathfinder Maps, Starfinder Maps Subscriber

Presuming things go well, does this change make it more likely we might eventually see monthly releases of novels? Does it have any impact on the other golarion fiction you produce?


Any chance we will see audiobook versions?


Oh, wow. Two great things that go great together (PF Tales & TOR), and the subscriber savings keep going!


1 person marked this as a favorite.

the kindle surprise was nice one for me! but indeed I also want to know if audiobooks are in the works?


2 people marked this as a favorite.

So, does this eliminate the mass-market paperback sized version completely, then?

No "release the trade paperback now, the mass-market later" kind of deal?

Because that's a very major disappointment.

Liberty's Edge RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32, 2011 Top 16

4 people marked this as a favorite.

I'm also hoping mass market will follow the trade paperback version. I like smaller books I can fit in a pocket and hold easier. Not to mention takes less space and weight when travelling.

I'm also a big fan of spending less money, this is a 50% price increase.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

I'm another who prefers the smaller book size. I find the larger paperbacks and hardcovers cumbersome and hard to be comfortable reading unless I'm sitting at a table or lying down. The smaller paperbacks I like because I only have to use one hand while reading them and can comfortably recline while reading without my arms getting tired from holding a large book out in front of my face.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Books ... paper ... those were those funny things people used back in the XX century, right? ;-)

Scarab Sages

Love seeing a new Dave Gross book! He's one author I'm pretty much always up for.

However, from the press release - bi-monthly? Six novels a year? Is that what's currently typical? If not, that seems like...a lot. I would worry about the quality of writing going down.

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I do, however, see another Tim Pratt novel being advertised. That fills me with some hope.

Liberty's Edge

3 people marked this as a favorite.

It would be cool to see another Elaine Cunningham book.

Mike


Aberzombie wrote:

Love seeing a new Dave Gross book! He's one author I'm pretty much always up for.

However, from the press release - bi-monthly? Six novels a year? Is that what's currently typical? If not, that seems like...a lot. I would worry about the quality of writing going down.

Paizo has been doing 6 novels a year for a few years now. I'm ambivalent about the change. I think.

As long as my price point doesn't change too much (and as a subscriber it sounds like it won't), I think that anything that gets Pathfinder Tales into more hands is a good thing.


6 people marked this as a favorite.

Some notes from Dave Gross on the subject. My two coppers: I am mainly sad that my new books will be a different shape than my old ones.

Contributor

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Aberzombie wrote:
However, from the press release - bi-monthly? Six novels a year? Is that what's currently typical? If not, that seems like...a lot. I would worry about the quality of writing going down.

Six a year is the same as the current schedule.

I promise Lord of Runes has all the Varian-and-Radovan fun you could ask for. It's every bit as good as all the others. Maybe it is even better, although I would have to reread it to be sure.

Oh yes, that is me ever-so-subtly gloating that I can do that. ;)

On the whole I think this is going to be a very positive deal for the line. Getting the books available on Kindle with one click is huge. And while I am cheerfully biased on this point, I have to say that I'm tremendously impressed with the cover art that the bigger format allows, too.


Im hoping these books will make it to Kindle and maybe audio versions and maybe even someday Kindle Unlimited Audio Version. I would be very happy on my commute that way.

Contributor

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I'm very excited about this deal, primarily because it will increase distribution. The Kindle availability is huge. The format change allows more detailed artwork on the cover, and perhaps some larger format maps and/or schematics inside.

Frankly, I'm shocked at the discount for subscribers and even non-subscribers who buy from the Paizo site. That shows you all how much Paizo loves you. Really.

Can't wait for December... cough *more pirates...* cough...

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Chris A Jackson wrote:

I'm very excited about this deal, primarily because it will increase distribution. The Kindle availability is huge. The format change allows more detailed artwork on the cover, and perhaps some larger format maps and/or schematics inside.

Frankly, I'm shocked at the discount for subscribers and even non-subscribers who buy from the Paizo site. That shows you all how much Paizo loves you. Really.

Can't wait for December... cough *more pirates...* cough...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SQQQQQQQQQUUUUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEE!!!!

And maybe a certain someone searching for a certain someone else?

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Itchy wrote:
Aberzombie wrote:

Love seeing a new Dave Gross book! He's one author I'm pretty much always up for.

However, from the press release - bi-monthly? Six novels a year? Is that what's currently typical? If not, that seems like...a lot. I would worry about the quality of writing going down.

Paizo has been doing 6 novels a year for a few years now. I'm ambivalent about the change. I think.

That's what I wasn't sure about. Still, it doesn't change my own trepidation. As I've noted elsewhere, I'm not really enamored of all the author's they've had recently. Possibly because I'm an ornery old cuss who has less reading time than he used to and, as such, is a little more picky about buying a book he thinks sucks big, hairy goat testicles. Which might explain why I generally count on three fingers the number of Pathfinder Tales authors whose work I buy.

Dark Archive Contributor

2 people marked this as a favorite.

Tastes vary, of course, so one of the things I've always liked about Pathfinder Tales is how easy it is to sample the fiction before you plunk down your hard-earned cash for a book. Whether it's through preview chapters or web fiction, you don't have to pay a penny to take a look at the work of an upcoming author.

Plus, if you find a favorite, there's plenty of fiction to "fill in the cracks" between novels.

Scarab Sages

Dave Gross wrote:

Tastes vary, of course, so one of the things I've always liked about Pathfinder Tales is how easy it is to sample the fiction before you plunk down your hard-earned cash for a book. Whether it's through preview chapters or web fiction, you don't have to pay a penny to take a look at the work of an upcoming author.

Plus, if you find a favorite, there's plenty of fiction to "fill in the cracks" between novels.

Indeed! Although, for me it's truly about time to read more than money. I typically don't think of money when it comes to buying books. Unless they're work-related books - those can sometimes cost in the hundreds of dollars range.

And, might I say, yours are on the short list of books I try to read as soon as I receive them.


Rysky wrote:
Chris A Jackson wrote:

I'm very excited about this deal, primarily because it will increase distribution. The Kindle availability is huge. The format change allows more detailed artwork on the cover, and perhaps some larger format maps and/or schematics inside.

Frankly, I'm shocked at the discount for subscribers and even non-subscribers who buy from the Paizo site. That shows you all how much Paizo loves you. Really.

Can't wait for December... cough *more pirates...* cough...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SQQQQQQQQQUUUUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEE!!!!

And maybe a certain someone searching for a certain someone else?

...I'll get the rum ready.

Managing Editor

Steve Geddes wrote:
Presuming things go well, does this change make it more likely we might eventually see monthly releases of novels? Does it have any impact on the other golarion fiction you produce?

At the moment, we're committed to sticking with our current every-other-month model. I never want to produce so many novels that the quality starts to suffer, or readers start getting overloaded and losing interest.

The Tor deal only applies to the novels, and won't really affect stuff like web fiction or the Pathfinder's Journal.

Managing Editor

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Wicked Brew wrote:
Any chance we will see audiobook versions?

Nothing official yet, but chances look good. :)


Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Tor? I hope they handle customer service for Paizo better than when I tried to find out something from them. They didn't bother to respond to email when I was trying to find out where I could buy ebooks published by them. :-(

Managing Editor

4 people marked this as a favorite.

For folks asking: This is indeed a switch to trade paperback for real, not a "trade and then mass market later" setup.

There are a number of reasons for this. Mostly, it's just the way the industry seems to be headed, and for good reason: mass markets have such a small profit margin that you have to sell a *ton* of them to make them financially feasible (the "mass" in "mass market"). And as more and more people switch to digital, the audience for "smallest and cheapest format possible" print books is getting rapidly smaller. So a lot of publishers are starting to move to a two-pronged strategy where digital is the cheap option, and higher-quality trade paperbacks cater to those who want something a bit more substantial. For my money, I really like them: They have more space for cover art. They have better paper stock. They last longer (especially important for libraries). They tend to have larger print and to be easier to read. And, perhaps most importantly, the higher price point allows publishers to keep printing books when it might not otherwise be feasible. :P

I understand why some people prefer mass market, but I hope that when you see the new books, you'll agree that they're things of beauty! And either way, if you're buying through Paizo, the new 30% discount means you'll be paying roughly the same price as before.

Thanks for hanging with us during this transition! I really think it's going to mean great things for the line.

Liberty's Edge RPG Superstar 2008 Top 32, 2011 Top 16

1 person marked this as a favorite.

James, thanks for answering the mass market question, even if I don't like the answer. This might finally get me to switch to digital, but it also is likely to have me buy fewer new books in favor of older used books (obviously not an option for books that never have mass market versions).

Managing Editor

JoelF847 wrote:
James, thanks for answering the mass market question, even if I don't like the answer. This might finally get me to switch to digital, but it also is likely to have me buy fewer new books in favor of older used books (obviously not an option for books that never have mass market versions).

I understand. And hey, there'll still be *26* mass market-sized Pathfinder Tales novels you can buy new at the old price—the ones we've already printed aren't changing! :)

Scarab Sages

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I like the idea of better quality books. Of course, this just means I'll have to get more bookcases......


Aberzombie wrote:
I like the idea of better quality books. Of course, this just means I'll have to get more bookcases......

A never-ending cycle...well, certainly for those of us who have chosen the option of undeath...

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Battles Case Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, LO Special Edition, Maps, Pathfinder Accessories, Pawns, PF Special Edition Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber; Starfinder Superscriber
James Sutter wrote:
JoelF847 wrote:
James, thanks for answering the mass market question, even if I don't like the answer. This might finally get me to switch to digital, but it also is likely to have me buy fewer new books in favor of older used books (obviously not an option for books that never have mass market versions).
I understand. And hey, there'll still be *26* mass market-sized Pathfinder Tales novels you can buy new at the old price—the ones we've already printed aren't changing! :)

Hi James,

I think this partnership is great news! A couple of questions...

1. Any chance the existing titles will be reprinted in the new format?

2. Will this affect the digital copies currently included with the physical piazo.com subscription?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Chris A Jackson wrote:

I'm very excited about this deal, primarily because it will increase distribution. The Kindle availability is huge. The format change allows more detailed artwork on the cover, and perhaps some larger format maps and/or schematics inside.

Frankly, I'm shocked at the discount for subscribers and even non-subscribers who buy from the Paizo site. That shows you all how much Paizo loves you. Really.

Can't wait for December... cough *more pirates...* cough...

*cough, cough, cough*

*washes coffee off screen*

That's exciting news!

Scarab Sages

Mairkurion {tm} wrote:
Aberzombie wrote:
I like the idea of better quality books. Of course, this just means I'll have to get more bookcases......
A never-ending cycle...well, certainly for those of us who have chosen the option of undeath...

I thought it would always be that way, but then discovered Half-Priced Books. They buy back books you don't want. Unfortunately, they also sell books you do want at low prices...

So...yeah...still that way.

At least I haven't gotten to the point where the books I haven't read outnumber the books I have read.....yet.


Sad (and surprised Paizo would go with Tor).

I pretty much never buy trade paper, only mass market, and a (very) few authors in hardcover. I often don't even take free convention copies of trade paper. I think of the 1,600+ books I have logged on librarything a bit fewer than a dozen are trade paper (and those are mostly compilations of books that I use as "loaner" copies such as the Amber compilation).

-TimD


Very interesting news....

Managing Editor

Aventhar wrote:


Hi James,

I think this partnership is great news! A couple of questions...

1. Any chance the existing titles will be reprinted in the new format?

2. Will this affect the digital copies currently included with the physical piazo.com subscription?

1) We're currently not planning to reprint the older books—those will remain in mass market, at least until they sell though. We *are*, however, working to get those into wider digital distribution (Kindle, etc.), and the new deal will help with that!

2) At the moment, we're not sure whether we'll continue to be able to give out free electronic copies with physical copy subscriptions—it's possible that people may have to buy one or the other. On the plus side, we *will* be offering a big 30% discount to make sure that the books remain roughly the same price folks are used to.

Liberty's Edge

@James any chance of another Elaine Cunningham novel?

Mike


This is exciting news. I've always preferred trade paperbacks. The price increase doesn't bother me a bit.

Managing Editor

Qstor wrote:

@James any chance of another Elaine Cunningham novel?

That depends entirely on a variety of factors, not the least of which is Elaine's schedule. But I'm certainly not opposed to the idea!

Dark Archive

TimD wrote:

Sad (and surprised Paizo would go with Tor).

-TimD

TimD, would you care to expand on why you linked that particular blog post? I'm sure you were trying to make a point, but I don't get it.

1 to 50 of 190 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Archive / Pathfinder / Pathfinder Tales / News: Paizo is partnering with Tor for Pathfinder Tales Novels! All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.