Day of the Doctor (50th anniversary special)


Television

1 to 50 of 319 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>

I have found out that the 50th anniversary special is going to be in select theaters on November 25th.

Day of the Doctor.

This will run 90 minutes total. 75 minutes will be an extended viewing of the episode and 15 minutes will show behind the scenes. Heck yeah! I already have tickets in my area.

Grand Lodge

I have to go at least 3 hours to see it and since it's on a Monday none of my friends that work can go so I'm probably going to pass.

Sovereign Court RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8

CRap, it's here in Columbus. I feel a failed will-save coming on...

Shadow Lodge

Nothing on my end of TN, sadly.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

There are actually two dates.

The simulcast is on Saturday the 13th on BBC American and a limited set of theatres. (most of which are probabably sold out by now) There is a more expansive theatre showing the following Monday.

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Ooh! Thanks for telling me that—I have to miss the actual anniversary, but Monday is perfect, and the theater closest to Paizo is showing it (in both 3D and 2D).

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

You can also record it on your DVR if you have BBC America in your cable package. It's going to be simulcast on cable and in the first movie showing.


You must've seen the trailer by now - doesn't it just 'feel' awesome!?

Another trailer on Saturday!

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

LazarX wrote:
You can also record it on your DVR if you have BBC America in your cable package. It's going to be simulcast on cable and in the first movie showing.

Sure—in 2D. If you want to see it in 3D, the theater is your only choice—at least, until the Blu-Ray 3D comes out on December 10. I can wait two days, but two weeks? Nooooo!


John Hurt. Way cool. At last, some gravitas.


I've got a party planned to show it on a rented big screen for the simulcast. ^_^

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

My computer is going to be sacrificing it's monitor so I can watch it in HD.

The two local theatres in NYC showing it for Saturday are both sold out.

Come to think of it.. I think the comp is going to sacrifice it's speakers as well.


Just bought tickets for the local Sunday screening :-)


Exploderific trailer.

Spoiler:
A mention - and possible appearance by - the Moment, the weapon that (somehow) ended the Time War. Also lots of flashbacks to the war, to Daleks blowing the hell out of Gallifrey and John Hurt apparently being the one to end it. Most intriguing is Rose going all Bad Wolf on us. The Zygons, Queen Elizabeth I, present-day London and UNIT HQ also all show up briefly.


And an even longer, even more exploderific trailer.

Spoiler:
I will forgive the 50th much for the Patrick Troughton reference and the TARDIS spinning through a wall and taking out a bunch of Daleks.


This preview minisode MUST be watched. It features something people have been demanding to see for seventeen years.

Note: do NOT read the blow spoiler until you've watched the minisode.

Spoiler:
MCGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!


Loved the mini episode!! I was about to mention it. Is the miniepisode going to be tied into the tv episode or shown before it or is this something for savy surfers.

Without spoiling the mini episode can someone share light on who the rest of the characters are in the episode?


Quote:
Without spoiling the mini episode can someone share light on who the rest of the characters are in the episode?

Not a problem:

Spoiler:
Cass is a new character, not anyone we've met before. I think the idea is that Cass is the sort of person the Eighth Doctor would have taken aboard the TARDIS as a companion if she hadn't been disgusted by the Time War, which made him rethink his decision to remain aloof from the conflict.

The Sisterhood of Karn is an order of women (originally from Gallifrey, thousands of years earlier) living on Karn, another planet in the same star system as Gallifrey. The Sisterhood have ambiguous relations with the Time Lords; originally they were enemies, the Sisterhood being part of the 'old order' that Rassilon overthrew when he created the High Council and time travel technology. However, in the many thousands of years since then they have become more cordial to one another. The Sisterhood have access to a form of drug-induced regeneration and finer control over regeneration. It is unclear if the Sisterhood's form of regeneration is the same as the Time Lords'.

The Doctor met the Sisterhood in the Fourth Doctor story, 'The Brain of Morbius' and helped defeat a mutual enemy, a renegade Time Lord called Morbius. The Eighth Doctor also encountered them in the Big Finish audio adventures.

The names the Eighth Doctor calls out before the regeneration are his companions from the Big Finish audio drama range, which appears to formally canonise them.

Sovereign Court Contributor

Oh, cool, my favourite Doctor!

Silver Crusade

Spoiler:
"Will it hurt?"
"Yes."
"Good."

<3

Sovereign Court Contributor

Mikaze wrote:

** spoiler omitted **

<3

Not only is it a cool line, it seems to have someone's name in it.

Paizo Employee Developer

1 person marked this as a favorite.

I can't stop watching "The Night of the Doctor." I wonder if we'll get other mini episodes in the next 10 days. That would be 1 per doctor prior to the 11th... A guy can wish. But even if this is the only one, at least it's another appearance (and a conclusion) for a character who we never got the chance to know. I have a few other similar characters I'd love to see Moffat give this same treatment to.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Get into some of the Big Finish episodes and you WILL get to know the Eighth Doctor. He was also a recurring feature in the Dr. Who magazine with one of his companions a talking penguin. (an alien who found the shape appealing and stuck with it.)

Liberty's Edge

LazarX wrote:
Get into some of the Big Finish episodes and you WILL get to know the Eighth Doctor. He was also a recurring feature in the Dr. Who magazine with one of his companions a talking penguin. (an alien who found the shape appealing and stuck with it.)

Big Finish is currently having a sale on Eighth Doctor adventures. The price of the adventures is anywhere from $2.99 for the older stand alone adventures, to $4.99 for the more recent series, to $20 for the complete Dark Eyes story arc.

I'm throwing down for the first four audioplays and I'll see how it goes from there :)

RPG Superstar 2010 Top 32, 2011 Top 4

Werthead wrote:

Spoiler:
The names the Eighth Doctor calls out before the regeneration are his companions from the Big Finish audio drama range, which appears to formally canonise them.

Oh, that's a neat little fact I didn't know!

Spoiler:
I had assumed the names were just made up on the spot to give the impression of a typically long adventuring career and history for eight. The fact that it's actually a tip of the hat to Big Finish is just an extra nice bit of icing on the cake.
Kind of a downer that Grace didn't get a mention in that shout out. Oh, well. Guess that's what you get when you're accidentally responsible for killing his previous regeneration.


Quote:
Get into some of the Big Finish episodes and you WILL get to know the Eighth Doctor. He was also a recurring feature in the Dr. Who magazine with one of his companions a talking penguin. (an alien who found the shape appealing and stuck with it.)

That was Frobisher, and he was a companion of the Sixth Doctor ;-) IIRC, the Eighth did meet him many years later, but between shapechanging and regeneration, they didn't recognise one another.


DankeSean wrote:
Werthead wrote:

** spoiler omitted **

Oh, that's a neat little fact I didn't know!

** spoiler omitted **

She probably didn't a mention as the BBC don't own the rights to her character.

Cheers
Mark

Sovereign Court RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8

Interesting Mark, she (and her actress) got plenty of coverage in The Doctor's Revisited. (Still think Eccleston's a richard for not doing those specials, but now surprised that McGann didn't)

Shadow Lodge

Eccleston left on really bad terms with the DW crew. It's not surprising he didn't come back.


Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Orthos wrote:
Eccleston left on really bad terms with the DW crew. It's not surprising he didn't come back.

Another possible reason:

Maybe he was only asked to come back so John could regenerate into him providing the contiguous connection of regenerations. After all, the minisode inserted a regeneration between him and no 8.

Also remember, Christopher wasn't the only one, Colin Baker didn't come back to regenerate into Sylvester.

Interesting thought:

So, with the extra regeneration that is John Hurt, does this mean all the books, comics, role playing game, etc have to be errata filled on the doctor numbers :P

Sovereign Court RPG Superstar 2009 Top 32, 2010 Top 8

Your interesting thought:

Spoiler:
Technically speaking (aka channelling the Moff) 8 didn't regenerate in typical time lord sense into the War Doctor. He used the regeneration method of the sisterhood. So I don't think it's a propper regen as much as an overwrite.

Basically the core of 'The Doctor' is overwrote by the Sisterhood's regen process to create War Doctor. Then when War Doctor dies, the regular regeneration process reasserts itself.


Adventure Path Charter Subscriber; Pathfinder Companion, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Maps, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
Matthew Morris wrote:

Your interesting thought:

** spoiler omitted **

I thought that but on subsequent viewing

don't peak now:
... the high priestess, on describing the liquid said that it "triggers your regeneration process", so... that can be interpreted that they forced a regeneration to occur rather than giving him a "free" one, i.e. the drink triggers it rather than provides it.

Liberty's Edge

Pathfinder Maps Subscriber

The John Hurt "Doctor" doesn't call himself that "Doctor no more", so he isn't the 9th Doctor. He is the ninth incarnation of the Time Lord but he isn't the 9th incarnation that goes by the name "Doctor".

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Anthony Adam wrote:
Orthos wrote:
Eccleston left on really bad terms with the DW crew. It's not surprising he didn't come back.

** spoiler omitted **

Also remember, Christopher wasn't the only one, Colin Baker didn't come back to regenerate into Sylvester.

** spoiler omitted **

Considering that Baker was the only actor to be actually FIRED from the role, I don't blame him. It does give McCoy the singlular distinction of having portrayed TWO Doctors, even if one was for only 15 seconds.


Yeah, Baker didn't come back for the regeneration but we did see the Sixth Doctor (even if it was Sylvester in a wig with his face obscured by a special effect) regenerate on screen.

They could have Hurt regenerating into Eccleston by using stock footage or even just having the regeneration starting and the TARDIS being seen heading for Earth in 2005 as it was at the start of 'Rose'.

As for Eccleston leaving on bad terms, I don't think that's quite true. Eccleston is a serious character actor and likes having lots of time to get into his character and prepare. He is best-known on British TV from mini-series (like OUR FRIENDS IN THE NORTH, THE SECOND COMING and even CRACKER, where each series was only a few episodes long) where such time is available. However, whenever he does a weekly TV show he will quickly start complaining about the lack of time for rehearsal and for exploring the character with the director and writer. You have to get in, do the work, and move on ASAP. Eccleston really doesn't seem to like that kind of working culture, which is why he left both DOCTOR WHO and HEROES ahead of schedule.

In the former case he did the series out of respect for Russell T. Davies (whom he worked with on THE SECOND COMING) and the latter to apparently break into more American roles, but in neither case did he seem to like the working environment of having to make a dozen or more episodes of television on a rushed schedule. I think it's telling that he left after one year of the 'uncomfortable regime' whilst Piper, Tennant, Smith and everyone else who's worked with the new regime seem to be much happier with the situation (though even all of them call the schedule exhausting).

Eccleston was professional enough to give them lots of warning he was leaving, so they could film a regeneration scene, but I think the situation is less that he and the team parted on bad terms and more that he simply didn't like the hours, lack of preperation time. He's also never said he'd never go back to the series again, more that he wouldn't like to do those kind of hours again. I think a short flashback regeneration scene that takes a couple of hours to film would be perfectly possible for him to do.


@Matthew: I missed Doctors Revisited. I do recall that when Big Finish gave Eighth a reboot (off into an another universe, just after the Zagreus) Daphne Ashbrook played a role - but not as Grace Holloway due to rights issues. Still, being talked about in a doco is one thing, an actual inclusion in a production is another.

@Anthony Adam: Chris Eccleston's departure is clocked in mystery, although rumours abound. The real reason is a million miles away from not being liked by BBC senior management and forcing JN-T to sack him.

@LazarX: Interesting trivia point there.I hadn't thought of that, butn I'll return fire with Richard E. Grant. Played two different Doctors (Curse of Fatal Death and Screams of the Shalka[/i]) as well as Doctor Simeon, the Great Intelligence. Ok, they're not canon now, but back then they were as official as we could've hoped for...

Cheers
Mark


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Werthead wrote:
As for Eccleston leaving on bad terms, I don't think that's quite true.

I'm pretty sure it's true. If you read some of the very few statements Eccleston made about why he left the series, it wasn't simply about the working schedule, but how he felt other people on the set were being treated by some of the the higher-ups.

Here's one of the few statements he made on the matter.

Christopher Eccleston wrote:
I left Doctor Who because I could not get along with the senior people. I left because of politics. I did not see eye-to-eye with them. I didn’t agree with the way things were being run. I didn’t like the culture that had grown up, around the series. So I left, I felt, over a principle.

And:

Christopher Eccleston wrote:

“You know, it’s easy to find a job when you’ve got no morals, you’ve got nothing to be compromised, you can go, ‘Yeah, yeah. That doesn’t matter. That director can bully that prop man and I won’t say anything about it’. But then when that director comes to you and says ‘I think you should play it like this’ you’ve surely got to go ‘How can I respect you, when you behave like that?’

“So, that’s why I left. My face didn’t fit and I’m sure they were glad to see the back of me.

The whole statement's at the link. There seems to be some sort of bad blood there.

Maybe things improved by the time Tennant started his time on the show?


DigitalMage wrote:
The John Hurt "Doctor" doesn't call himself that "Doctor no more", so he isn't the 9th Doctor. He is the ninth incarnation of the Time Lord but he isn't the 9th incarnation that goes by the name "Doctor".

That was my reading of it as well. This would make Matt Smith the twelfth regeneration, and the incoming Peter Capaldi the thirteenth, but Smith would still be the Eleventh Doctor, Capaldi the Twelfth, etc.

How this plays into the regeneration limit (13), I guess we'll have to wait and see. Here's what Neil Gaiman has suggested.

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Mark Norfolk wrote:

@Matthew: I missed Doctors Revisited. I do recall that when Big Finish gave Eighth a reboot (off into an another universe, just after the Zagreus) Daphne Ashbrook played a role - but not as Grace Holloway due to rights issues. Still, being talked about in a doco is one thing, an actual inclusion in a production is another.

@Anthony Adam: Chris Eccleston's departure is clocked in mystery, although rumours abound. The real reason is a million miles away from not being liked by BBC senior management and forcing JN-T to sack him.

@LazarX: Interesting trivia point there.I hadn't thought of that, butn I'll return fire with Richard E. Grant. Played two different Doctors (Curse of Fatal Death and Screams of the Shalka[/i]) as well as Doctor Simeon, the Great Intelligence. Ok, they're not canon now, but back then they were as official as we could've hoped for...

Cheers
Mark

Comedy skits don't count. :)

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
KSF wrote:
DigitalMage wrote:
The John Hurt "Doctor" doesn't call himself that "Doctor no more", so he isn't the 9th Doctor. He is the ninth incarnation of the Time Lord but he isn't the 9th incarnation that goes by the name "Doctor".

That was my reading of it as well. This would make Matt Smith the twelfth regeneration, and the incoming Peter Capaldi the thirteenth, but Smith would still be the Eleventh Doctor, Capaldi the Twelfth, etc.

How this plays into the regeneration limit (13), I guess we'll have to wait and see. Here's what Neil Gaiman has suggested.

It's amazing that so many people are so worked up about the regeneration limit. This is Dr. Who, not Babylon 5. There's no such thing as a rule so sacred that it won't be broken in a future episode. Or have folks already forgotten that the Master is up to 17 by now?

Shadow Lodge

I seem to recall The Master explicitly being stated as stealing his spare regens from other Time Lords during the War. We haven't (at least to my knowledge) gotten such an explanation for The Doctor yet.


Mark Moreland wrote:
...I can't stop watching "The Night of the Doctor." I wonder if we'll get other mini episodes in the next 10 days...

Sorry. I think that one was a one-off for a special charity event we had here in the UK (Children in Need).

And (at least here in the UK) The Day of the Doctor is scheduled for the 23rd November, not the 25th.

Paizo Employee Chief Technical Officer

Mark Norfolk wrote:
DankeSean wrote:
Werthead wrote:

** spoiler omitted **

Oh, that's a neat little fact I didn't know!

** spoiler omitted **

She probably didn't a mention as the BBC don't own the rights to her character.

Cheers
Mark

Are you sure about that? She's appeared in IDW comic books...

I say she didn't merit a mention because she specifically declined to travel with the Doctor, so he doesn't count her as a true companion. (I don't either. Nor do I count characters like Lady Christina de Souza or Adelaide Brooke.)

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Anthony Adam wrote:
Orthos wrote:
Eccleston left on really bad terms with the DW crew. It's not surprising he didn't come back.

** spoiler omitted **

Also remember, Christopher wasn't the only one, Colin Baker didn't come back to regenerate into Sylvester.

** spoiler omitted **

Not really Anthony. The Doctors don't refer to themselves by number. The only people who do are the Time Lords and they don't really make much of a distinction between regenerations. (and they were kind of busy at the time)


Vic Wertz wrote:
Mark Norfolk wrote:
DankeSean wrote:
Werthead wrote:

** spoiler omitted **

Oh, that's a neat little fact I didn't know!

** spoiler omitted **

She probably didn't a mention as the BBC don't own the rights to her character.

Cheers
Mark

Are you sure about that? She's appeared in IDW comic books...

I say she didn't merit a mention because she specifically declined to travel with the Doctor, so he doesn't count her as a true companion. (I don't either. Nor do I count characters like Lady Christina de Souza or Adelaide Brooke.)

That is probably the most likely reason... I just remember Big Finish not being able to use the character, so maybe it was just them who couldn't get the rights.

@LazarX - well, they don't count now but they were all we had back then...

Cheers
Mark


Quote:
The Doctors don't refer to themselves by number

Not quite true. The Fifth Doctor does explicitly say that he's the fourth regeneration in THE FIVE DOCTORS and that he's on his seventh incarnation at the start of the 1996 TV movie.

LazarX wrote:
It's amazing that so many people are so worked up about the regeneration limit. This is Dr. Who, not Babylon 5. There's no such thing as a rule so sacred that it won't be broken in a future episode. Or have folks already forgotten that the Master is up to 17 by now?

The rules the show has broken tend to be things mentioned once and then never mentioned again, so the show is able to override them. The 13-regeneration limit is very difficult to override because it basically drove the Master's entire storyline on the series for 14 years and was mentioned multiple times.

In addition, the Master's breaking of the limit is fully explained: he didn't. His first body reached its 13th incarnation, failed its regeneration and he only survived as a broken, withered husk which died after a few years, but he merged with Tremas and stole his body. THAT body, which had no pre-existing regeneration cycle, was offered a new set of regenerations in THE FIVE DOCTORS. That body was then destroyed by the Daleks and the Master took over that ambulance driver instead. THAT body was then given a set of regenerations instead during the Time War.

So John Simm is the third incarnation of the current body of the Master, presumably with 10 left. Certainly the Time Lords could have changed the rules during the Time War (and Rassilon's resurrection in a regenerated, James Bond-esque form certainly suggests that), but during the original series it was a pretty hard-coded rule.


* I like Neil Gaiman's take on regenerations. I particularly liked one of the comments posted below his post - that the Doctor should regenerate into a woman. I know I, and probably may others have been saying this for years. She can still have young female companions, and as love interests. ;) Or go back and pick up Jamie...

* I liked Paul McGann in The Monocled Mutineer a World War I miniseries. I was pleasantly surprised to see him as the Doctor but repelled by the format/version/plotdisaster he was in. So did he do the Big Finish audio, or did someone else voice "his" Doctor?

* I found the Key to Time in my back shed. Or at least a dead ringer to the one the Sontarans tried to steal back in the late 70's. I love my some gentle ribbing on BBC "special effects" (cardboard boxes, some brown and silver paint, and a non-descript lever) from my chidhood. :)


Quote:
So did he do the Big Finish audio, or did someone else voice "his" Doctor?

No, he did it. Paul McGann's been hugely supportive of the show over the years, and as a well-regarded theatre and TV actor there was no reason for him to keep doing the audio dramas (the money Big Finish offer is not a lot, comparatively), but he has done and was very good at it.

Shadow Lodge

LazarX wrote:
Not really Anthony. The Doctors don't refer to themselves by number. The only people who do are the Time Lords and they don't really make much of a distinction between regenerations. (and they were kind of busy at the time)

Matt Smith made a reference to him being the eleventh in the episode where he lived with guy because the TARDIS was stuck in a loop. He headbutted him and gave him his memories, pointed at his face, and said "Eleventh."


Werthead wrote:
Quote:
So did he do the Big Finish audio, or did someone else voice "his" Doctor?
No, he did it. Paul McGann's been hugely supportive of the show over the years, and as a well-regarded theatre and TV actor there was no reason for him to keep doing the audio dramas (the money Big Finish offer is not a lot, comparatively), but he has done and was very good at it.

My estimation of him has risen even more.

1 to 50 of 319 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Entertainment / Television / Day of the Doctor (50th anniversary special) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.