How to build a great chef. Are there any fun game mechanics?


Advice


I have been asked to play in an epic level campaign. We have been informed that role-play will be a main focus. I have decided after being told anything pathfinder was fair game that I would like to play a catfolk. I do not have a bestiary 3 yet however I know that I would like the character to be an amazing chef. He will, if forced to, use his cast iron pan as a weapon(meaning improvised weapon feats).

I was wondering if you guys had any Ideas for his mechanical side. I could make him a level 20 commoner, but that just wouldn't be as fun. I would appreciate any combat/social mechanical benefits that anyone knows of and would also be relevant to his obsession over food.

The character will hail from the area of the world described to me as being most like Thailand. In fact it was upon hearing this that I decided he was to be a chef. He is going to be allowed great stats so assume I have 16 in everything important perhaps more. I will be pushing to make him known world wide for his food. Because of this he travels constantly and if quite adept at doing it.

As far as my ideas so far I have toyed with making him a monk of the empty hand 6 to get improvised weapon mastery and then the rest ranger. have also though of a split between the guide ranger archetype and Horizon walker. Also straight guide perhaps. I also contemplated different forms of bard and Barbarian.

Please, if you read this and have any ideas, or you know of a kitschy/cliche/tropic chef character do not be afraid to post you reflections so that I might be better inspired. Thanks!


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber

Make him an Alchemist, and his special effect for all his alchemist abilities is food. For a bomb, he pulls out a cupcake, puts a candle in it, blows on it to light it and then tosses it out where it explodes and leaves icing and cake crumbs (when it doesn't blow someone into a bloody froth).

For Brew Potion, re-skin all his potions and oils as food or drink, not potions. So a cupcake of cure light, or a flask of Peppermint Schnapps Remove Poison.

EDIT : You could multiclass him with Martial Artist (to avoid having to be lawful), and go CG or CN, and call him the Mad Iron Chef. :)


cad archtype fighter (i seem to bring them up a fair bit. not sure why {Dont judge me!}) gets good bonuses to improvised weapons, such as catch off-guard and razor sharp chair-leg.
one of the monk archtypes is also built around hitting stuff with stuff, thus probably qualifies.
profession: chef, craft: cooking, and craft: alchemical are all your friends here. use craft alchemical to give your food alchemical properties, effectively making pastries of anti-plague and the like. alchemist could be a good choice for you if you want to focus on this (that's an awesome idea! instead of standard alchemical infusions you make enchanted foodstuffs for yourself and your friends. combine that with swift alchemy and a lenient dm and you'll be making cookies of heal as a full-round action!)

would be remiss of me not to mention the witch, with cauldren and cook people, but i'm not sure it's really what you're after.

EDIT: damn ninjas!


Witch.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Elves of Golarion contains rules for creating magic food. Being an Elf, at least 5 ranks in Profession: Cooking, and Brew Potions allows you to cook a spell of any level into a meal.


mdt wrote:

Make him an Alchemist, and his special effect for all his alchemist abilities is food. For a bomb, he pulls out a cupcake, puts a candle in it, blows on it to light it and then tosses it out where it explodes and leaves icing and cake crumbs (when it doesn't blow someone into a bloody froth).

For Brew Potion, re-skin all his potions and oils as food or drink, not potions. So a cupcake of cure light, or a flask of Peppermint Schnapps Remove Poison.

EDIT : You could multiclass him with Martial Artist (to avoid having to be lawful), and go CG or CN, and call him the Mad Iron Chef. :)

this is awesome. i may have to yank this for a character concept. it reminds me of a villain from the tick


Son of the Veterinarian wrote:

Elves of Golarion contains rules for creating magic food. Being an Elf, at least 5 ranks in Profession: Cooking, and Brew Potions allows you to cook a spell of any level into a meal.

You're right elf witch.


Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber
dragonfire8974 wrote:
mdt wrote:

Make him an Alchemist, and his special effect for all his alchemist abilities is food. For a bomb, he pulls out a cupcake, puts a candle in it, blows on it to light it and then tosses it out where it explodes and leaves icing and cake crumbs (when it doesn't blow someone into a bloody froth).

For Brew Potion, re-skin all his potions and oils as food or drink, not potions. So a cupcake of cure light, or a flask of Peppermint Schnapps Remove Poison.

EDIT : You could multiclass him with Martial Artist (to avoid having to be lawful), and go CG or CN, and call him the Mad Iron Chef. :)

this is awesome. i may have to yank this for a character concept. it reminds me of a villain from the tick

I play a lot of Japanese RPGs, and there's a bunch of them where you synthesize stuff, and one of the things you can make is food that either heals or does wierd things (like the explody cupcakes). So it was pretty simple to put the dots together when I read the post. I think it makes an excellent Chaotic/slightly insane type character.

Lantern Lodge

This reminds me of that anime, where people kill monsters, to EAT!

Grab purify food and drink, kills stuff and EAT THEM!


This is all great. After the alchemist suggestion I thought about the beastmorph/vivisectionist and cooking with the blood of my enemies. I'm digging the witch though. I have never played a full caster because I enjoy martial tactics, however I am not opposed to it. I like the elf magic cooking thing, but it apparently costs xp as well? Is elves of golarian from 3.5 or is that a special rule? Keep the help coming I'm digging where this is going.


elves of golarion


Alchemist is workable, as are the fighter and monk approaches. You can always create a wizard who, getting tired of telling physics to sit down and shut up like the unruly children they are, decided to devote himself to cooking. I would recommend having personalized spells at that point, or reskinning existing ones (for instance, secret chest might become secret crisper).

If you go the fighter or monk approach, you can grab Master Craftsman to still be able to make magic items with your chosen skill.

If you're looking for something really weird and off the wall, you could maybe build a summoner (of basically any archetype except for synthesist), and use your summons as a kitchen staff that you can take everywhere with you. I admit that there's a part of me which would love to see Eldritch Monstrosities relegated to the position of prep chef. "No, you stupid balor! I said to julienne the vegetables and add them to the broth, not mince!"


Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber

I still say Alchemist. Take the Tumor Familiar discovery, and fluff it as a gingerbread man that lives in your pocket most of the time, and runs off and does things when you tell him to. Just like the little gingerbread man in Shrek. :)


DreamAtelier wrote:
Alchemist is workable, as are the fighter and monk approaches. You can always create a wizard who, getting tired of telling physics to sit down and shut up like the unruly children they are, decided to devote himself to cooking. I would recommend having personalized spells at that point, or reskinning existing ones (for instance, secret chest might become secret crisper).

i seem to remember a short adventure built around this concept. the main baddie was a pastry golem that sprayed hot jam when it was wounded.


Oh yeh. mdt I like the way you think. I was also very much digging the vestigial arm. Extra pair of mits in the kitchen is a godsend, and it will let me wield a bow and my pot on the battle side of things. Tumor Familiar is so sweet. More friends to help in the kitchen is much appreciated and it's so versitile.

I am flopping back and forth on elf or catfolk. I really don't know what the catfolk are capable of so that is unfortunate. I have been told that were creatures are aceptable though so perhaps a were-lion/tiger/panther.

I have also been questioning my use of Vivisectionist. It gains so much by loosing bomb ,including easier discovery selection, but bombs are just so sweet. I had been planning on flavoring them as vials of Strawberry suprise. Perhaps I'll just bring that joke in through the preserve organs discovery. He replaced his tounge with a salamanders, his belly with that of a medium red dragon, and grew his intestines from the stem cells of a fire giant. His tolerance for spicy food is so great that he will often torch the parties tastebuds while pleasing them with thai flavored curries.

I like the secret chest idea, I had been thinking about something similar but instead somehow putting a working oven into a bag of holding. It would have to be DM call is my guess. I also like summoner, but I am planning on building one for another game so I will hold off.


Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber

For Vestigel Arm, I'd fluff it as licorice that's prehensile and self-regenerating that stays in your pocket and never leaves (a little pocket dimension, literally, that it really lives in). Then you can take a bite out of the licorice every once in awhile while talking, and watch the party wince as you snack on your vestigel arm. :)

I'd absolutely keep the bombs. There's something so wrong about pulling out a cupcake with a candle on it and tossing it at someone and watching it go splody on them and their 6 closest friends. A real hit at 7yo birthday parties!


Pathfinder Rulebook Subscriber

Catfok get :

+Dex, +Cha, -Wis

Low Light

A Once per Day double roll on a Reflex Save

A 10 ft racial bonus on movement when Running, Charging, or Withdrawing.

Racial Bonuses to Perception, Survival and Stealth

Catfolk and Common languages.


Barbarian. Most head chefs rage a lot of the time.


You may also want to check out Cooking With Class. While I own it, I haven't had a chance to read it yet. Still though, there's probably something in there that you may find useful for your concept.


well, if it's a mock game using a pan could be fine, but the main tool of a chef is the knife, and it's a bit more credible too.

If you are into mangas I suggest taking a look at Toriko: it's centered on fighting (and overpowered) gourmets and chefs.

Vivisectionist would be my suggestion, you could be on a quest to collect unbelievable ingredients from monsters and such. Bard could be flavourful too, since you get to cast heroes' feast. Witch can use cauldrons so it's good too. Also rogue (archetype knife master) could be pretty thematic too, and you have the skill points to go with it.


witch + cauldron + cook people = comedy gold. Add a level in swedish chef for extra entertainment value. (oracle/tongues)

Community / Forums / Pathfinder / Pathfinder First Edition / Advice / How to build a great chef. Are there any fun game mechanics? All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.