>>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<<


Off-Topic Discussions

41,001 to 41,050 of 77,273 << first < prev | 816 | 817 | 818 | 819 | 820 | 821 | 822 | 823 | 824 | 825 | 826 | next > last >>
Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Ral' Yareth wrote:

Hey James,

How are you today? Did Jason and the design team share the "crane wings" with you?

The peri, from bestiary 3, is one of my favorite outsiders. The generic text that is attached to said creature says:

"Believed to be the descendants of fallen angels, peris do penance
for their ancestors’ sins before they can earn a place in paradise."

Q: What would be your thoughts if in my own Golarion, I made them descendants of Dispater? Or his first wife (the mysterious fallen angel that no one can remeber)?

Would that be appropriate? Or would it be a little far-fetched?

Doin' okay today. I'm on a diet at the moment that really restricts when and what I can eat, and so I didn't take part in the crane wing feast at all. I did go look longingly at the wings and pizza though. :-(

If you like peri being descended from Dispater, then go for it!! He's as good a choice as any!

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Voyd211 wrote:
I don't remember if I've asked this before... Are there tieflings descended from demon lords, archdevils and the Horsemen? Similarly, are there aasimars descended from empyreal lords?

There could well be. And if they are... they'd be good nominees to be potential mythic characters.

The actual child of a demon lord and a mortal, though, wouldn't be a tiefling. It'd be something akin to a half-fiend mythic nephelim.

Same goes for aasimars and empyreal lords.


Of the remaining continents without a campaign setting book, which one does paizo have the most info figured out (without going into details)?


James Jacobs wrote:
Voyd211 wrote:
I don't remember if I've asked this before... Are there tieflings descended from demon lords, archdevils and the Horsemen? Similarly, are there aasimars descended from empyreal lords?

There could well be. And if they are... they'd be good nominees to be potential mythic characters.

The actual child of a demon lord and a mortal, though, wouldn't be a tiefling. It'd be something akin to a half-fiend mythic nephelim.

Same goes for aasimars and empyreal lords.

I am now heavily tempted to make a daemon-spawn character descended from my favorite archfiend, Charon.

DON'T EDIT THE REAPER: If this character were to be an oracle, what curse and mystery(ies) would be appropriate? I'm guessing Wasted for the curse, and Bones or Waves for the mystery.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Belle Mythix wrote:

Of the remaining continents without a campaign setting book, which one does paizo have the most info figured out (without going into details)?

Probably Casmaron, if only because we've published a few articles about Iobaria and have set an adventure there. Maybe Azlant, although there's less published there.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Voyd211 wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Voyd211 wrote:
I don't remember if I've asked this before... Are there tieflings descended from demon lords, archdevils and the Horsemen? Similarly, are there aasimars descended from empyreal lords?

There could well be. And if they are... they'd be good nominees to be potential mythic characters.

The actual child of a demon lord and a mortal, though, wouldn't be a tiefling. It'd be something akin to a half-fiend mythic nephelim.

Same goes for aasimars and empyreal lords.

I am now heavily tempted to make a daemon-spawn character descended from my favorite archfiend, Charon.

DON'T EDIT THE REAPER: If this character were to be an oracle, what curse and mystery(ies) would be appropriate? I'm guessing Wasted for the curse, and Bones or Waves for the mystery.

Bones for the mystery, wasted for the curse.


How do Star Archons treat and view mortals ultimate magic made it seem like they are a**holes

Liberty's Edge

James, do you plan to ever get married?


On your way back from a walk, you come across a wriggling mass of tentacles on the ground, what do you do?

Silver Crusade

Hiya James,

Don't know if this is the place to ask, but hey. The crane wing kerfuffle got me wondering about errata and I noticed the APG has only had one errata update, all the way back in 2010. Any idea of around when we might see round 2?

Thanks!

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
LazarX wrote:
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:


I wasn't thinking of a paladin that USES lightning, just one that wears lightning symbols and stuff like that on his uniform. Especially lightning bolts being gripped by fists Zeus-style.

The Paladins and Holy Champions (an alternative to the Paladin class) of Hurrian in Arcanis use lightning motifs as that's a symbol of their patron.

If I remember correctly, the divine symbol of Heironeous, the definitive paladin diety of Greyhawk was a lightning bolt gripped by a fist.

Yes, but I'm asking about Golarion specifically here.
Bronze dragons remain the best option... unless there's a lawful good or neutral good electricity-themed Empyreal Lord...

As far as I know, no empyreal lords favor electricity.

So what god would a paladin with a bronze dragon motif venerate? Apsu?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

I've apparently gained the title of "the dude who asks James really weird questions!"

Your thoughts on this?

Grand Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber
Rysky wrote:

I've apparently gained the title of "the dude who asks James really weird questions!"

Your thoughts on this?

This mean your bucket list is complete?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
LazarX wrote:
Rysky wrote:

I've apparently gained the title of "the dude who asks James really weird questions!"

Your thoughts on this?

This mean your bucket list is complete?

Nah, "Death by Succubi" is still on there.


Rysky wrote:
LazarX wrote:
Rysky wrote:

I've apparently gained the title of "the dude who asks James really weird questions!"

Your thoughts on this?

This mean your bucket list is complete?
Nah, "Death by Succubi" is still on there.

Death by snoo snoo?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
Tirisfal wrote:
Rysky wrote:
LazarX wrote:
Rysky wrote:

I've apparently gained the title of "the dude who asks James really weird questions!"

Your thoughts on this?

This mean your bucket list is complete?
Nah, "Death by Succubi" is still on there.
Death by snoo snoo?

Yep :3


So, I'm aware of Nualia's story in Rise of the Runelords. I know that she wanted to become a demon.

Question: Are there any tieflings that desire the reverse? I made a RotR PC thus who is designed as the complete opposite of Nualia.

TO KNOW THIS WILL EDIT ME: What would tiefling descendants of the following archfiends be like, in your mind? What classes would be appropriate? (pulls names out of a hat)

-Nocticula
-Dagon
-Apollyon
-Dispater
-Lamashtu
-Asmodeus
-Baalzebul
-Charon
-Kotschchie (The bad scrabble hand)

I'd ask the same of aasimars and empyreal lords, but, uh... the only empyreal lord that I've really learned about extensively is Ragathiel.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

xavier c wrote:
How do Star Archons treat and view mortals ultimate magic made it seem like they are a**holes

Star archons are a new archon we haven't actually done much with... but there's probably more info about them and their attitudes in Chronicle of the Righteous. I'm not familiar enough with them and haven't put any thought into how they work to be able to answer off the top of my head.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Paladinosaur wrote:
James, do you plan to ever get married?

I don't plan to, but neither do I plan not to. It'd be nice though, I suspect!

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
C. Nutcase wrote:

On your way back from a walk, you come across a wriggling mass of tentacles on the ground, what do you do?

How massive is this theoretical mass?

1) Smaller than me: I investigate and am intrigued.

2) Larger than me: I flee and am intrigued.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Joe M. wrote:

Hiya James,

Don't know if this is the place to ask, but hey. The crane wing kerfuffle got me wondering about errata and I noticed the APG has only had one errata update, all the way back in 2010. Any idea of around when we might see round 2?

Thanks!

I don't keep track of erratas, frankly. That's the design team's thing. I do know that the books are officially errataed when we reprint them, and I'm pretty sure we've reprinted APG more than once.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
So what god would a paladin with a bronze dragon motif venerate? Apsu?

That's the best bet, no doubt. Erastil would probably come in at a distant second.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Rysky wrote:

I've apparently gained the title of "the dude who asks James really weird questions!"

Your thoughts on this?

I can see how someone might give you that title, but I wouldn't. You'd be in the top 10 for sure. MAYBE the top 5.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Voyd211 wrote:

So, I'm aware of Nualia's story in Rise of the Runelords. I know that she wanted to become a demon.

Question: Are there any tieflings that desire the reverse? I made a RotR PC thus who is designed as the complete opposite of Nualia.

TO KNOW THIS WILL EDIT ME: What would tiefling descendants of the following archfiends be like, in your mind? What classes would be appropriate? (pulls names out of a hat)

-Nocticula
-Dagon
-Apollyon
-Dispater
-Lamashtu
-Asmodeus
-Baalzebul
-Charon
-Kotschchie (The bad scrabble hand)

I'd ask the same of aasimars and empyreal lords, but, uh... the only empyreal lord that I've really learned about extensively is Ragathiel.

There can absolutely be tieflings that desire the reverse.

If you wanted to make a tiefling who was descended from ANY demigod... how they'd be like would be up to you; they could be anything; that's the delight of the tiefling. That said... if you specifically want to be related to a specific demigod, it makes sense that you'd want to make that tiefling thematically close in appearance and personality to that demigod. So... a descendent of Nocticula would be sensual and sexy and sneaky, while a descendant of Charon would be grim and gloomy and gaunt, etc.

The Exchange

James Jacobs wrote:
Joe M. wrote:
...Don't know if this is the place to ask...
...That's the design team's thing...

Q: Would you describe the various teams / lead individuals at Paizo and how they work (i.e., what falls under them)?

I ask because I'm a casual "thread person" and don't understand how everything relates. For example, I know you're the "Creative Director" but what does that entail/govern? How is that different from the "design team"? How much influence do you have over rules/systems? Do you come up with ideas for new monsters/archetypes/feats/etc. and hand them over to the design team for implementation?

No need to explain the typical corporate departments (e.g., HR, IT, Sales) just the teams that are related to product envisioning/development/realization.


can you be good and cruel at the same time Vildeis and Neshen come of as cruel and uncaring to me


Had a question about angels. For the types of angels, how come we don't see any that fit the standard choir designation? Like Seraphim or Cherubs? Or even some outside of the choir designation, like the Watchers (Grigori)?


Will you marry me?


Is it possible to have a neutral or chaotic evil character that plays well with others?

I tend to see CE as Joker-level psychopathy, and NE as just "I'm going to ruin your life any way I can, lulz."

Paizo Employee Creative Director

4 people marked this as a favorite.
eldergod0515 wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Joe M. wrote:
...Don't know if this is the place to ask...
...That's the design team's thing...

Q: Would you describe the various teams / lead individuals at Paizo and how they work (i.e., what falls under them)?

I ask because I'm a casual "thread person" and don't understand how everything relates. For example, I know you're the "Creative Director" but what does that entail/govern? How is that different from the "design team"? How much influence do you have over rules/systems? Do you come up with ideas for new monsters/archetypes/feats/etc. and hand them over to the design team for implementation?

No need to explain the typical corporate departments (e.g., HR, IT, Sales) just the teams that are related to product envisioning/development/realization.

There's a LOT of different teams at Paizo. Limiting it specifically to the ones who make the product and leaving out the ones who make sure the product can be made...

Spoiler:

Publisher: Erik Mona. He's the guy who runs everything below. The boss. Does pretty much a little bit of everything, plus MUCH MUCH MORE!

Creative Director: James Jacobs. Sets the vision for Golarion and Pathfinder. Helps brainstorm all products. In charge of August Adventure Path. Provides advice and feedback and approves licensed products that utilize Golarion content. Helps out with editing and development and design as needed. Member of Operation Banjo Thug.

Editor In Chief: Wes Schneider. Manages the editors and developers. Helps brainstorm all products. Serves as primary point of contact between editorial and other teams (like management and art). Helps out with editing and development and design as needed.

Senior Editor: James Sutter. Manages the editors. Sets vision and content for the fiction line. Helps with development and editing as needed. Member of Operation Banjo Thug.

Senior Developer: Rob McCreary. In charge of February Adventure Path. Helps manage developer team. Provides guidance to developer team, and helps with editing as needed.

Lead Designer: Jason Bulmahn. Sets the vision for the Pathfinder rules. Helps brainstorm rulebook products and other rules-heavy products. Manages the design team. Designs rules and develops rules-heavy content as needed.

Project Manager: Jessica Price. Makes sure we're all on track and orchestrates the master schedule. Serves as a link between editorial and management. Helps with editing as needed.

Managing Art Director: Sarah Robinson. Manages the art department. Sets the vision for the physical appearance of all products, from art to logos to page layouts to fonts to all the rest.

Design Team: Jason Bulmahn, Sean K Reynolds, Stephen Radney-MacFarland. Assignment of rulebooks to freelancers. Creation/design of rulebook contents. Initial development pass on rulebooks. FAQ/Errata work.

Development Team: James Jacobs, Rob McCreary, Adam Daigle, Logan Bonner, Patrick Renie, Mark Moreland, John Compton. Assignment of Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Player Companion, Module, PFS Scenario, and other projects to freelancers. Development of author turnovers (development being a combination of writing, design, and editing meant to improve the raw turnover to match Paizo's house style and quality). Creation/redrawing of author maps as needed. Generation of art briefs to art team (the developer gets to decide what's illustrated in a book, but the art team gets to decide who does the illustrations). Serve as link between design team and editorial team. Provide help with editing as needed.

Editorial Team: James Sutter, Christopher Carey, Judy Bauer, Ryan Macklin. Editing, copyfitting, and keepers of house style for products. Make sure the spelling and grammar and language of all the words is as perfect as possible.

Art Team: Sarah Robinson, Andrew Valas, Sonja Morris, Emily Crowell. Layout of products, ordering of art, preparing products to ship to printers.


James Jacobs wrote:
C. Nutcase wrote:

On your way back from a walk, you come across a wriggling mass of tentacles on the ground, what do you do?

How massive is this theoretical mass?

1) Smaller than me: I investigate and am intrigued.

2) Larger than me: I flee and am intrigued.

Let say small, the "body" kinda looks like the night sky.

A) It's just on the ground.

B) It's in a small crater.

C) It's on the ground and there is a tear in the fabric of reality nearby.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

xavier c wrote:
can you be good and cruel at the same time Vildeis and Neshen come of as cruel and uncaring to me

Cruelty is evil. You can be cruel at times while being good aligned, but if you don't overwhelm the cruelty you do with the kindness you do, you drift toward evil. There are some Empyreal Lords who may SEEM cruel... but that doesn't mean they enjoy it, intend to be cruel, or frankly are even really being cruel in the first place.

Think of a triage nurse. They decide who gets treatment first, and that sometimes means not treating someone on death's door who MIGHT be saved in favor of treating the person who is less hurt but who can certainly be saved with immediate care but without immediate care WILL die. That's not cruel to the person who MIGHT be saved from death... but it can easily be interpreted as cruelty.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Odraude wrote:
Had a question about angels. For the types of angels, how come we don't see any that fit the standard choir designation? Like Seraphim or Cherubs? Or even some outside of the choir designation, like the Watchers (Grigori)?

Because we haven't created those yet, basically.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

6 people marked this as a favorite.
James Jacobs' Dream Date wrote:
Will you marry me?

What's your dowry like?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Voyd211 wrote:

Is it possible to have a neutral or chaotic evil character that plays well with others?

I tend to see CE as Joker-level psychopathy, and NE as just "I'm going to ruin your life any way I can, lulz."

It's absolutely possible. Look at drow society; they have huge cities that have a lot of cooperation necessary in order to exist or even be built, but they're all chaotic evil.

Of course... they only play well with others as long as those others can help them or serve a purpose that would be diminished if they weren't playing well.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
C. Nutcase wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
C. Nutcase wrote:

On your way back from a walk, you come across a wriggling mass of tentacles on the ground, what do you do?

How massive is this theoretical mass?

1) Smaller than me: I investigate and am intrigued.

2) Larger than me: I flee and am intrigued.

Let say small, the "body" kinda looks like the night sky.

A) It's just on the ground.

B) It's in a small crater.

C) It's on the ground and there is a tear in the fabric of reality nearby.

The established protocol in such a case is, of course, to poke it with a stick. That's what I'd do. I'd also take pictures with my iPhone of course. Video too! YouTube Sensation!!!!


James Jacobs wrote:
Voyd211 wrote:

Is it possible to have a neutral or chaotic evil character that plays well with others?

I tend to see CE as Joker-level psychopathy, and NE as just "I'm going to ruin your life any way I can, lulz."

It's absolutely possible. Look at drow society; they have huge cities that have a lot of cooperation necessary in order to exist or even be built, but they're all chaotic evil.

Of course... they only play well with others as long as those others can help them or serve a purpose that would be diminished if they weren't playing well.

So... if you were playing a demoniac, what could justify them working with characters of other alignments?

Oorrrr does that depend on the demon lord they follow? I imagine that it doesn't matter who they work with, demoniacs of Pazuzu would ALWAYS take up arms if it means killing worshippers of Lamashtu.


I've got the perfect gift to give you. Let me give you a kiss, I'm sure you'll find it sinfully good...

Contributor

James Jacobs wrote:
Rysky wrote:

I've apparently gained the title of "the dude who asks James really weird questions!"

Your thoughts on this?

I can see how someone might give you that title, but I wouldn't. You'd be in the top 10 for sure. MAYBE the top 5.

What qualifications do I need in order to qualify for this prestigious title?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Voyd211 wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Voyd211 wrote:

Is it possible to have a neutral or chaotic evil character that plays well with others?

I tend to see CE as Joker-level psychopathy, and NE as just "I'm going to ruin your life any way I can, lulz."

It's absolutely possible. Look at drow society; they have huge cities that have a lot of cooperation necessary in order to exist or even be built, but they're all chaotic evil.

Of course... they only play well with others as long as those others can help them or serve a purpose that would be diminished if they weren't playing well.

So... if you were playing a demoniac, what could justify them working with characters of other alignments?

Oorrrr does that depend on the demon lord they follow? I imagine that it doesn't matter who they work with, demoniacs of Pazuzu would ALWAYS take up arms if it means killing worshippers of Lamashtu.

What would justify a demoniac working with characters of other alignments is the same thing that a paladin uses to justify working with other alignments; alliances and a common goal that is easier to accomplish with help.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Alexander Augunas wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Rysky wrote:

I've apparently gained the title of "the dude who asks James really weird questions!"

Your thoughts on this?

I can see how someone might give you that title, but I wouldn't. You'd be in the top 10 for sure. MAYBE the top 5.
What qualifications do I need in order to qualify for this prestigious title?

You have to be weirder than the rest. That's all.


James Jacobs wrote:
C. Nutcase wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
C. Nutcase wrote:

On your way back from a walk, you come across a wriggling mass of tentacles on the ground, what do you do?

How massive is this theoretical mass?

1) Smaller than me: I investigate and am intrigued.

2) Larger than me: I flee and am intrigued.

Let say small, the "body" kinda looks like the night sky.

A) It's just on the ground.

B) It's in a small crater.

C) It's on the ground and there is a tear in the fabric of reality nearby.

The established protocol in such a case is, of course, to poke it with a stick. That's what I'd do. I'd also take pictures with my iPhone of course. Video too! YouTube Sensation!!!!

And CIA, FBI, MiB, weird cultists and what's not.


Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Which Iconic or NPC would you date/marry if they existed in our reality?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
James Jacobs' Dream Date wrote:
I've got the perfect gift to give you. Let me give you a kiss, I'm sure you'll find it sinfully good...

And that's when things got weird.

The Exchange

James Jacobs wrote:
eldergod0515 wrote:


Q: Would you describe the various teams / lead individuals at Paizo and how they work (i.e., what falls under them)?

There's a LOT of different teams at Paizo. Limiting it specifically to the ones who make the product and leaving out the ones who make sure the product can be made...

** spoiler omitted **...

AWESOME! Thank you very much.

Q: I feel like a n00b, but what is "Operation Banjo Thug"? What is its purpose? Who leads it?


James Jacobs wrote:
Voyd211 wrote:

Is it possible to have a neutral or chaotic evil character that plays well with others?

I tend to see CE as Joker-level psychopathy, and NE as just "I'm going to ruin your life any way I can, lulz."

It's absolutely possible. Look at drow society; they have huge cities that have a lot of cooperation necessary in order to exist or even be built, but they're all chaotic evil.

Of course... they only play well with others as long as those others can help them or serve a purpose that would be diminished if they weren't playing well.

Speaking of Drow, if one was "stolen" at birth and raised in a different society, could he/she end up with a different alignment?

Contributor

James Jacobs wrote:
Alexander Augunas wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Rysky wrote:

I've apparently gained the title of "the dude who asks James really weird questions!"

Your thoughts on this?

I can see how someone might give you that title, but I wouldn't. You'd be in the top 10 for sure. MAYBE the top 5.
What qualifications do I need in order to qualify for this prestigious title?
You have to be weirder than the rest. That's all.

Does that mean I'm not Top 10 material?

Me?

That one guy that who you rolling dice to answer questions? Who asked you to write a haiku about Baba Yaga (which turned out to be a Jacobian Prophecy about Reign of Winter)? That guy who asked you to determine the bone structure of his favorite fantasy race just yesterday?

That's gotta be at LEAST Top 32 material!


Alexander Augunas wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Alexander Augunas wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Rysky wrote:

I've apparently gained the title of "the dude who asks James really weird questions!"

Your thoughts on this?

I can see how someone might give you that title, but I wouldn't. You'd be in the top 10 for sure. MAYBE the top 5.
What qualifications do I need in order to qualify for this prestigious title?
You have to be weirder than the rest. That's all.

Does that mean I'm not Top 10 material?

Me?

That one guy that who you rolling dice to answer questions? Who asked you to write a haiku about Baba Yaga (which turned out to be a Jacobian Prophecy about Reign of Winter)? That guy who asked you to determine the bone structure of his favorite fantasy race just yesterday?

That's gotta be at LEAST Top 32 material!

Ask more weird questions, and ask them more often?


eldergod0515 wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
eldergod0515 wrote:


Q: Would you describe the various teams / lead individuals at Paizo and how they work (i.e., what falls under them)?

There's a LOT of different teams at Paizo. Limiting it specifically to the ones who make the product and leaving out the ones who make sure the product can be made...

** spoiler omitted **...

AWESOME! Thank you very much.

Q: I feel like a n00b, but what is "Operation Banjo Thug"? What is its purpose? Who leads it?

My research into the dark underbelly of the internet (also known as "the entire internet") revealed two references to this phenomenon known as "Operation Banjo Thug." I will leave it for James to answer the original question, but my investigation left me with more questions than answers...

James, what was the interview about??? I must know!

Hmm...I guess that's actually the exact same number of questions as answers.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

zergtitan wrote:
Which Iconic or NPC would you date/marry if they existed in our reality?

Merisiel, obviously!

41,001 to 41,050 of 77,273 << first < prev | 816 | 817 | 818 | 819 | 820 | 821 | 822 | 823 | 824 | 825 | 826 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / >>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<< All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.