>>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<<


Off-Topic Discussions

41,251 to 41,300 of 83,732 << first < prev | 821 | 822 | 823 | 824 | 825 | 826 | 827 | 828 | 829 | 830 | 831 | next > last >>
Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Mal_Luck wrote:
If you gave each of the Iconics in Wrath of the Rightious one of the campaign traits which ones would you assign them?

Seelah: Child of the Crusades

Merisiel: Chance Encounter
Seoni: Riftwarden Orphan
Alain: Stolen Fury


Pathfinder Starfinder Roleplaying Game Subscriber

Yeah, I figured vishkanya were probably initially created like that (if they were created at all), and eventually a sustainable population built up and they bred on their own...whether the method used to initially create them still exists and is even now still in use, has been long lost to the mists of time, or remains a closely held secret of the vishkanya themselves who make sure none learns it...all depends on the story the DM prefers. At least for the moment, hoping we'll eventually get some more information on Vudra and the races there...

1) If you had a choice of being thrown in a pit with a group of erinyes who have a personal grudge against you, a group of hungry daemons, a group of very bored demons (no succubi!), or a group of helpful kytons, which would you pick?

2) Given psychopomps and their interest in the proper cycle of life and death, how do they feel about the rakshasa, who seem to have perverted it with their own endless incarnations? Similarly, do akhut aeons or marut inevitables have any particular antipathy against them?

3) What's your favorite mephit?


Three questions:

Is the Ninja a Rogue archetype or a separate class?

Perception vs traps: "Most Perception checks are reactive, made in response to observable stimulus. Intentionally searching for stimulus is a move action."
Generally speaking, would traps require a Intentional search?

If not, then what does Trapspotter, the Rogue talent do?

What Mythos or world would you like to look into next?


Pathfinder Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

Been wondering about the end of Legacy of Fire

Spoiler:
If Jhavul had won, would his plan to woo Ymeri, Queen of the Inferno have worked?

Silver Crusade

Given Sarenrae's redemptive nature would it be far fetched to assume she has holding areas where she's trying to redeem very powerful evil creatures, such as Demon Lords?

Has she ever before redeemed something as powerful and as evil as a Demon Lord?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Luthorne wrote:

Yeah, I figured vishkanya were probably initially created like that (if they were created at all), and eventually a sustainable population built up and they bred on their own...whether the method used to initially create them still exists and is even now still in use, has been long lost to the mists of time, or remains a closely held secret of the vishkanya themselves who make sure none learns it...all depends on the story the DM prefers. At least for the moment, hoping we'll eventually get some more information on Vudra and the races there...

1) If you had a choice of being thrown in a pit with a group of erinyes who have a personal grudge against you, a group of hungry daemons, a group of very bored demons (no succubi!), or a group of helpful kytons, which would you pick?

2) Given psychopomps and their interest in the proper cycle of life and death, how do they feel about the rakshasa, who seem to have perverted it with their own endless incarnations? Similarly, do akhut aeons or marut inevitables have any particular antipathy against them?

3) What's your favorite mephit?

1) All are equally painful and guaranteed death. I'd pick the erinyes since they're the easiest on the eyes, I guess.

2) Psychopomps don't really care all that much about other outsider races on the whole unless they specifically disrupt the flow of souls.

3) Ice.


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber

Will there ever (soon?) be a player companion that has some backup info, feats, traits and other options for kitsune?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
DrDeth wrote:

Three questions:

Is the Ninja a Rogue archetype or a separate class?

Perception vs traps: "Most Perception checks are reactive, made in response to observable stimulus. Intentionally searching for stimulus is a move action."
Generally speaking, would traps require a Intentional search?

If not, then what does Trapspotter, the Rogue talent do?

What Mythos or world would you like to look into next?

Ninja is an alternate rogue. Technically, it's an archetype but one that does a lot more than, say, the pirate or scout does.

Trapspotter allows a rogue to check for traps if there's one there even if the player doesn't say "I check for traps."

Can't say, since that'd tip my hand as to some of this and next year's products! :P

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Squeakmaan wrote:

Been wondering about the end of Legacy of Fire

** spoiler omitted **

Probably not. She's kinda out of his league.

Contributor

Hayato Ken wrote:
Will there ever (soon?) be a player companion that has some backup info, feats, traits and other options for kitsune?

*Holds breathe with hopefulness.*

Edit: Hopefulness squashed.

Unless ... I start hoping that I'll get my writing career to the point where I'll get to contribute to it!

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Hayato Ken wrote:
Will there ever (soon?) be a player companion that has some backup info, feats, traits and other options for kitsune?

Maybe. Not anytime soon though.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Rysky wrote:

Given Sarenrae's redemptive nature would it be far fetched to assume she has holding areas where she's trying to redeem very powerful evil creatures, such as Demon Lords?

Has she ever before redeemed something as powerful and as evil as a Demon Lord?

Holding areas aren't something she'd use to redeem someone. That's not how she works; imprisoning someone you want to redeem is doing it wrong.

She has indeed redeemed some powerful foes. Not gonna say who at this time though!


Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Hayato Ken wrote:
Will there ever (soon?) be a player companion that has some backup info, feats, traits and other options for kitsune?
Maybe. Not anytime soon though.

Aww too bad. You could give us that to next christmas!

Maybe even Tian Xia independant!
I would vote for a T-Rex day then^^

Silver Crusade

James Jacobs wrote:
Rysky wrote:

Given Sarenrae's redemptive nature would it be far fetched to assume she has holding areas where she's trying to redeem very powerful evil creatures, such as Demon Lords?

Has she ever before redeemed something as powerful and as evil as a Demon Lord?

Holding areas aren't something she'd use to redeem someone. That's not how she works; imprisoning someone you want to redeem is doing it wrong.

She has indeed redeemed some powerful foes. Not gonna say who at this time though!

Figured as much, but thought I'd ask all the same.

Sooooo what are the chances there's a redeemed Spawn of Rovagug running around in Nirvana? :3

Silver Crusade

Also with the events of WoTR what are Sarenrae's thoughts on another Goddess redeeming (inadvertently) a CE Outsider?

Shadow Lodge

James Jacobs wrote:
Jacob Saltband wrote:

Mr. Jacobs, question on roleplaying. When you roleplay your character, how do you roleplay a high(18+) mental ability scores? What are some of the ways you've seen it potrayed?

Also how do you roleplay mental ability scores below 10? Say only a couple points like a score of 9 or 8. What about lower?

What was one of your favorite characters that you played?

I'm looking for more ideas for roleplaying various ability scores.

Thank you. I appreciate being able to talk to you.

It's easier for the GM to play a high Int NPC, since he can use metagame info to fake the high intellect. For a PC, I sometimes do the same, but I also tend to put a few extra skill points in knowledge skills to help set up the fact that my character's a smartie. I also try to use more metagame knowledge as well, subject to GM approval. Patrick plays a super smart wizard in one of my games, and he plays his character as slightly mad—other folks are just to stupid to understand the reasons he does what he does. He sometimes laces made-up words into his character's dialogue and then defines them for the other players, simulating a larger vocabulary than other characters (and other players).

Low mental ability scores generally indicate some sort of madness or brain damage or personality flaw.

Low INT: Play the character by making dumb choices or having trouble reading or the like. Avoid putting ANY ranks into Int-based skills.

Low WIS: Play the character as super impulsive, little common sense, and kind of oblivious to things. Get distracted a lot.

Low CHA: Play the character as a jerk, or alternately as someone who just doesn't have much personality at all. A character who simply doesn't say much or hangs back during non-combat encounters. Frankly... this type of character, the one who avoids actual roleplaying or is antagonistic, is my LEAST favorite type of character to play, so my characters tend to always have above average Charisma scores if possible.

My current favorite...

Thanks for the answers. One more question long these lines. Roleplaying low ability scores is easier to do then high ability scores, at least to me. With the group of people you've played with, was there anyone who difficulty roleplay a high ability score? If so how was it dealt with?

The Exchange

Q: What does the Kitsune say?

Radiant Oath

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:

I ask because I kind of feel like Kingmaker's not too friendly to paladin-types. You're being backed by people interested in subverting Brevoy's legal rulers, bandits and monsters are your nearest neighbors, and the super-weapon you find won't even work in the hands of a paladin because it's an intelligent Chaotic Neutral weapon. And the gods who take center-stage in the AP either don't have paladins (Gorum) or don't want their paladins to become kings (Erastil).

That's not all that unusual. Paladins are and always have been too restrictive in their codes in my opinion as far as crafting stories are involved. They, more than ANY other class, are so narrowly defined that it can be difficult to fit them in thematically into some storylines.

Not every AP is equally appropriate for every class. But still... a creative PC can get around that. For example, while you're being sent by someone not all that lawfully, the idea that you're going to bring civilization to a wilderness should appeal to most paladins, ESPECIALLY those who worship Abadar or Erastil.

I see. I'm starting to think instead I should rethink my character concept so I'm not so obsessed with being center-stage as king.

Liberty's Edge

James, how is the relationship between Sarenrae and Raghatiel?


In the Inner Sea Gods Hardcover will there be new Holidays for the gods i find it strange that Shelyn only has one Holiday


Hail, Mythic Dire Tyrannosaurus!
I humbly beseech thy wisdom

I'm working on a Mythic Way of the Wicked in Golarion. Got a witch who reverse-engineered her patron, the demon lady Areshkagal. Since book 6 will see the battle for Talingarde as the first step for a full-fledged Cheliaxian conquest of Arcadia,I want to have ready some big guns.

Should ye stat up the faceless sphinx, her CR would be like Xoveron or more like Deskari? And what about her fabled true face? Should i gave her something like old Pale night's shroud?

Also, speaking about greed, there is any correlation between her and the thassilonian sin? Did the lamias of Xin-Shalast (or Karzoug of the matter) pay any kind of homage to Aresh, or their devotion towards greed was entirely from a laical, phylosophical prospective?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Rysky wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Rysky wrote:

Given Sarenrae's redemptive nature would it be far fetched to assume she has holding areas where she's trying to redeem very powerful evil creatures, such as Demon Lords?

Has she ever before redeemed something as powerful and as evil as a Demon Lord?

Holding areas aren't something she'd use to redeem someone. That's not how she works; imprisoning someone you want to redeem is doing it wrong.

She has indeed redeemed some powerful foes. Not gonna say who at this time though!

Figured as much, but thought I'd ask all the same.

Sooooo what are the chances there's a redeemed Spawn of Rovagug running around in Nirvana? :3

Pretty much zero. I'm normally hesitant to say never, since a lot can change... but in this case I'm confident that there are no redeemed spawns of Rovagug.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Rysky wrote:
Also with the events of WoTR what are Sarenrae's thoughts on another Goddess redeeming (inadvertently) a CE Outsider?

It wasn't an inadvertent redemption at all. It was entirely on purpose, in large part because of Sarenrae's influence on that other Goddess. Sarenrae approves, in other words.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
eldergod0515 wrote:
Q: What does the Kitsune say?

Still haven't watched that video, and still don't intend to.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Jacob Saltband wrote:
Roleplaying low ability scores is easier to do then high ability scores, at least to me. With the group of people you've played with, was there anyone who difficulty roleplay a high ability score? If so how was it dealt with?

Haven't seen this happen.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:

I ask because I kind of feel like Kingmaker's not too friendly to paladin-types. You're being backed by people interested in subverting Brevoy's legal rulers, bandits and monsters are your nearest neighbors, and the super-weapon you find won't even work in the hands of a paladin because it's an intelligent Chaotic Neutral weapon. And the gods who take center-stage in the AP either don't have paladins (Gorum) or don't want their paladins to become kings (Erastil).

That's not all that unusual. Paladins are and always have been too restrictive in their codes in my opinion as far as crafting stories are involved. They, more than ANY other class, are so narrowly defined that it can be difficult to fit them in thematically into some storylines.

Not every AP is equally appropriate for every class. But still... a creative PC can get around that. For example, while you're being sent by someone not all that lawfully, the idea that you're going to bring civilization to a wilderness should appeal to most paladins, ESPECIALLY those who worship Abadar or Erastil.

I see. I'm starting to think instead I should rethink my character concept so I'm not so obsessed with being center-stage as king.

Or just pick any other class and throw a high Charisma score on it and play it regal. Paladins aren't the only ones allowed to be kings.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Paladinosaur wrote:
James, how is the relationship between Sarenrae and Raghatiel?

Strained.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

xavier c wrote:
In the Inner Sea Gods Hardcover will there be new Holidays for the gods i find it strange that Shelyn only has one Holiday

I believe we talk about holy days for all the gods, yes. Can't remember for sure though.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Pnakotus Detsujin wrote:

Hail, Mythic Dire Tyrannosaurus!

I humbly beseech thy wisdom

I'm working on a Mythic Way of the Wicked in Golarion. Got a witch who reverse-engineered her patron, the demon lady Areshkagal. Since book 6 will see the battle for Talingarde as the first step for a full-fledged Cheliaxian conquest of Arcadia,I want to have ready some big guns.

Should ye stat up the faceless sphinx, her CR would be like Xoveron or more like Deskari? And what about her fabled true face? Should i gave her something like old Pale night's shroud?

Also, speaking about greed, there is any correlation between her and the thassilonian sin? Did the lamias of Xin-Shalast (or Karzoug of the matter) pay any kind of homage to Aresh, or their devotion towards greed was entirely from a laical, phylosophical prospective?

She's a middle-of-the-road demon lord. I'd say CR 27 or CR 28. But to be honest, you should stat her up as works best for your game.

There isn't a direct correlation between her and Thassilonian sin. They're just both associated with greed.


james jacobs said wrote:

Q: What does the Kitsune say?

Still haven't watched that video, and still don't intend to.

Good I hear the first time you watch it you have to make a DC 20 fort save or take 2 points of INT and WIS drain. I'm not sure how good your saves are but we need you at your best so no taking chances...

Silver Crusade

James Jacobs wrote:
Rysky wrote:
Also with the events of WoTR what are Sarenrae's thoughts on another Goddess redeeming (inadvertently) a CE Outsider?
It wasn't an inadvertent redemption at all. It was entirely on purpose, in large part because of Sarenrae's influence on that other Goddess. Sarenrae approves, in other words.

Oh, my bad. I had thought she done it purely on whimsy. Hafta go back and reread that section.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Rysky wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Rysky wrote:
Also with the events of WoTR what are Sarenrae's thoughts on another Goddess redeeming (inadvertently) a CE Outsider?
It wasn't an inadvertent redemption at all. It was entirely on purpose, in large part because of Sarenrae's influence on that other Goddess. Sarenrae approves, in other words.
Oh, my bad. I had thought she done it purely on whimsy. Hafta go back and reread that section.

As far as Desna's concerned, there is no difference between "on whimsy" and "on purpose."

Scarab Sages

In other words, Sarenrae is a good influence on the chaotic butterfly lady?


archmagi1 wrote:
In other words, Sarenrae is a good influence on the chaotic butterfly lady?

Rumor is; Sarenrea, Desna and Shelyn are... very, very close to each others.


James Jacobs wrote:
Paladinosaur wrote:
James, how is the relationship between Sarenrae and Raghatiel?
Strained.

why?

Dark Archive

Pathfinder Adventure Path Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Paladinosaur wrote:
James, how is the relationship between Sarenrae and Raghatiel?
Strained.

It's funny, that's the exact word I thought of to describe their relationship as well.

Scarab Sages

I was throwing together a Swashbuckler to playtest this weekend and was getting all excited with my feat selection, when I realized that Piranha Strike only adds its bonus damage to light weapons. I poked around to see if finesse weapons such as the Rapier were considered light weapons for such a purpose (as that also making them light for the two weapon fighting would be silly), but alas that does not seem to be the case.

So I ask, is this the way it was intended to work? (ie limited to only light weapons)

Paizo Employee Creative Director

archmagi1 wrote:
In other words, Sarenrae is a good influence on the chaotic butterfly lady?

Yup!

And vice-versa.

They compliment each other very well.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

xavier c wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Paladinosaur wrote:
James, how is the relationship between Sarenrae and Raghatiel?
Strained.
why?

Because Ragathiel is too quick to punish.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

CrassMagus wrote:

I was throwing together a Swashbuckler to playtest this weekend and was getting all excited with my feat selection, when I realized that Piranha Strike only adds its bonus damage to light weapons. I poked around to see if finesse weapons such as the Rapier were considered light weapons for such a purpose (as that also making them light for the two weapon fighting would be silly), but alas that does not seem to be the case.

So I ask, is this the way it was intended to work? (ie limited to only light weapons)

That is indeed the way it was intended as far as I know. Not every weapon needs to be the best choice for every feat combo, and rapiers are already strong enough without stealing the thunder from things like, say, daggers.


Is it possible for fiends to make friends? Or is bonding with other creatures against their nature?

Scarab Sages

James Jacobs wrote:
CrassMagus wrote:

I was throwing together a Swashbuckler to playtest this weekend and was getting all excited with my feat selection, when I realized that Piranha Strike only adds its bonus damage to light weapons. I poked around to see if finesse weapons such as the Rapier were considered light weapons for such a purpose (as that also making them light for the two weapon fighting would be silly), but alas that does not seem to be the case.

So I ask, is this the way it was intended to work? (ie limited to only light weapons)

That is indeed the way it was intended as far as I know. Not every weapon needs to be the best choice for every feat combo, and rapiers are already strong enough without stealing the thunder from things like, say, daggers.

Makes sense! It will play well regardless, thank you for the clarification!


James Jacobs wrote:
archmagi1 wrote:
In other words, Sarenrae is a good influence on the chaotic butterfly lady?

Yup!

And vice-versa.

They compliment each other very well.

is Sarenrae a good influence on Iomedae


I cannot believe I need to ask this, but what is Iomedae's position on Paladins taking part in celebration roughly comparable to a college frat party?

Liberty's Edge

Voyd211 wrote:
Is it possible for fiends to make friends? Or is bonding with other creatures against their nature?

That's a great question. I'd also be curious about the same thing in regards to sentient evil undead, in addition to sentient evil outsiders. Can either of them have friendships so strong that they would, for example, sacrifice themselves for a particular individual's sake, while still staying evil in general? My instinct is to say yes, especially since it could make for cool stories.

James, who's the biggest comic book fan in your office? Where do you stand in office rankings? One of the bigger fans, or don't get the appeal?

Silver Crusade

James Jacobs wrote:
Rysky wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Rysky wrote:
Also with the events of WoTR what are Sarenrae's thoughts on another Goddess redeeming (inadvertently) a CE Outsider?
It wasn't an inadvertent redemption at all. It was entirely on purpose, in large part because of Sarenrae's influence on that other Goddess. Sarenrae approves, in other words.
Oh, my bad. I had thought she done it purely on whimsy. Hafta go back and reread that section.
As far as Desna's concerned, there is no difference between "on whimsy" and "on purpose."

Now you're trying to confuse me.


What animals off the druid companion list would make sense for Wrath of the Righteous?

I'm using Eldritch Heritage feat and Sylvan bloodline to get one for my Slayer and I really would like a lion. Unfortunately, lions seem really out of place in the icy north...

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Voyd211 wrote:
Is it possible for fiends to make friends? Or is bonding with other creatures against their nature?

I'd say that the idea of friendship is probably a quality of good, if anything... A fiend could make allies, but friends? Unlikely.


Favorite Legend of Zelda game?


James,

What are the chances of us seeing anything with the Ardoc Family in the imminent future, be it in a novel or adventure? Would love to see a book revolving around them, for that matter the Gray Maidens and/or Eagle Knights too. The former keep being mentioned here and there between adventures and the chronicle books (plus one short fiction) and while the latter have never really amounted to much and have always just been more or less there.

Also can we expect to see Westcrown or Numeria as a major setting in a novel anytime soon?

41,251 to 41,300 of 83,732 << first < prev | 821 | 822 | 823 | 824 | 825 | 826 | 827 | 828 | 829 | 830 | 831 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / >>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<< All Messageboards