>>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<<


Off-Topic Discussions

40,851 to 40,900 of 77,271 << first < prev | 813 | 814 | 815 | 816 | 817 | 818 | 819 | 820 | 821 | 822 | 823 | next > last >>
Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Rysky wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Axial wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Axial wrote:
If Dragon Slayer Ornstein and Executioner Smough were in Pathfinder, what Challenge ratings, alignments, and creature subtypes would they have?
They'd both be CR 25 lawful frustrating outsiders.

Oh, boy. I'm gonna have to fight them soon.

On another note, I killed the Iron Golem in Sen's Fortress from two phantom players named Iron Tarkus and Yamajew. The former was covered in full-plate, and the latter had a turban and schimitar. I couldn't help but imagine them as followers of Iomedae and Sarenrae, respectively.

Smough and Ornstein were hands down no contest the HARDEST part of that game for me. I was stuck on them for about half a year. Defeating them was one of the best video game moments EVER.

Harder than Kalameet and Manus?

Yup. Hardest part of the game = entire rest of the game wasn't as hard.

That said... I was stuck on Smough and Ornstein for half a year, during which I kept going back and leveling up in other zones. Smough and Ornstein, of course, are guarding something that bottlenecks game progression, so until you defeat them, you cannot proceed to the last 3rd of the game or the DLC. I was stymied by them for a long time, so I kept going around leveling up, farming souls, upgrading weapons, etc. By the time I finally confronted them and won the fight against them, I was about level 110 or thereabouts, IIRC. After that... well, the rest of the game remained tough and opportunities to die abounded, but I was at such a high level that I had enough health and stamina to absorb a lot of errors and let me stick around long enough to power through some of the later tough fights.

I believe I defeated Manus the first time I encountered him. Might have taken 2 tries, but it wasn't much. Kalameet I got on the 1st try.

Ah I see , truth be told the only reason the Kalameet fight took me so only tries is because I kept trying to get his friggin tail sword.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
Do any Shoanti venerate the Empyreal Lords? If so, how do they venerate them? Do they treat them as powerful spirit totems or as actual gods? And how is god worship viewed among the Shoanti? I'm led to believe they're totemists by default.

As an entire tribe? No.

But absolutely as individuals; most of whom are no longer active members of a tribe, or are fingers in a tribe. They treat them as deities. The Shoanti prefer to have a more totemist or ancestor worship or animal/nature-based faith, but they don't freak out about deity worship really. It's just not their tradition, and those who are part of their tribes who worship deities are generally treated with some combination of distrust, curiosity, eye-rolling, anger, embarrassment, etc.

I see. Thank you! What about the Sklar-Quah, though? I thought they'd gut you for any "non-Shoanti" beliefs and practices.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

brad2411 wrote:
Do you consider demigods as cr 26-30 like demon lords and there equivalent?

Demigods, regardless of their type (be it demon lord, archdevil, horseman, elemental lord, Great Old One, just plain demigod, or whatever) are always CR 26–CR 30, yes.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
Do any Shoanti venerate the Empyreal Lords? If so, how do they venerate them? Do they treat them as powerful spirit totems or as actual gods? And how is god worship viewed among the Shoanti? I'm led to believe they're totemists by default.

As an entire tribe? No.

But absolutely as individuals; most of whom are no longer active members of a tribe, or are fingers in a tribe. They treat them as deities. The Shoanti prefer to have a more totemist or ancestor worship or animal/nature-based faith, but they don't freak out about deity worship really. It's just not their tradition, and those who are part of their tribes who worship deities are generally treated with some combination of distrust, curiosity, eye-rolling, anger, embarrassment, etc.

I see. Thank you! What about the Sklar-Quah, though? I thought they'd gut you for any "non-Shoanti" beliefs and practices.

Some tribes are more reactionary than others, yes. I was speaking in general, overall terms, since that's what your original question was asking about.

Pathfinder #10 might be a good place to go for more detail about Shoanti, in any event.


Why are APs always referred to by their number (such as Pathfinder #10) instead of by the name of the book (History of Ashes)?


congrats mr. Jacobs, this is the longest thread that I have ever seen

any way is there any racial extremeist groups( aka race haters) in golarion.
if so: Who are they, who do they hate and what is their favorite pass time in tormenting said race?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Do you have any questions left over from Dark Souls that you hope Dark Souls 2 answers?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:

Some tribes are more reactionary than others, yes. I was speaking in general, overall terms, since that's what your original question was asking about.

Pathfinder #10 might be a good place to go for more detail about Shoanti, in any event.

I see.

What's your general opinion of characters who basically change cultures, like a Shoanti who grows up in Korvosa or a Chelaxian who goes to live among the Mwangi tribes, a la Kevin Costner in Dances-With-Wolves?


1)How do Agathions view and interact with Archons and Azatas and angels?

2)How do Archons view and interact with Agathions and Azatas and angels?

3)How do Azatas view and interact with Archons and Agathions and angels?

4)How do angels view and interact with Archons and Azatas and Agathions?


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Steelfiredragon wrote:
congrats mr. Jacobs, this is the longest thread that I have ever seen.

Try this one.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Tels wrote:
Why are APs always referred to by their number (such as Pathfinder #10) instead of by the name of the book (History of Ashes)?

Because saying "Pathfiner #10" is more descriptive and easier to remember what one of the 75+ books is being referenced. You don't need to remember a title.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Steelfiredragon wrote:

any way is there any racial extremeist groups( aka race haters) in golarion.

if so: Who are they, who do they hate and what is their favorite pass time in tormenting said race?

There are indeed racial extremist groups on Golarion, plenty of them, but they're more focused on humanoid races than on humanoid ethnicities. Dwarves, for example, hate orcs and goblins. As for how they torment their victims... that varies from group to group and region to region.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Rysky wrote:
Do you have any questions left over from Dark Souls that you hope Dark Souls 2 answers?

Not really. The storyline in Dark Souls is really subtle and open to interpretation; it doesn't really raise questions to me as a result, since in order to raise questions, you need to actually pose those questions AS questions.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Archpaladin Zousha wrote:


What's your general opinion of characters who basically change cultures, like a Shoanti who grows up in Korvosa or a Chelaxian who goes to live among the Mwangi tribes, a la Kevin Costner in Dances-With-Wolves?

It's a great way to build character easy. And makes for compelling stories. My opinion is favorable.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Rysky wrote:
Do you have any questions left over from Dark Souls that you hope Dark Souls 2 answers?
Not really. The storyline in Dark Souls is really subtle and open to interpretation; it doesn't really raise questions to me as a result, since in order to raise questions, you need to actually pose those questions AS questions.

True, although to me there is the question of Humanity. What is it? Is it good? Is it evil? Don't have enough and you turn undead and go insane. Have too much and you turn into a demon.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

xavier c wrote:

1)How do Agathions view and interact with Archons and Azatas and angels?

2)How do Archons view and interact with Agathions and Azatas and angels?

3)How do Azatas view and interact with Archons and Agathions and angels?

4)How do angels view and interact with Archons and Azatas and Agathions?

1–4) Depends on the situation, circumstances, specific group, timing, and more.

That's pretty much my answer for ALL "How does x interact with y" when the questions are so broad. It's better to pick a tightly organized group as at least one of the two variables here—it's easier to answer something like "How does the Red Mantis interact with demons?" or even better, "How does the Red Mantis interact with the cult of Sifkesh?"

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Rysky wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Rysky wrote:
Do you have any questions left over from Dark Souls that you hope Dark Souls 2 answers?
Not really. The storyline in Dark Souls is really subtle and open to interpretation; it doesn't really raise questions to me as a result, since in order to raise questions, you need to actually pose those questions AS questions.
True, although to me there is the question of Humanity. What is it? Is it good? Is it evil? Don't have enough and you turn undead and go insane. Have too much and you turn into a demon.

More to the point... Dark Souls's strength is that it DOESN'T really spell out answers. Humanity is what you make of it, based on the clues and hints the game presents visually and mechanically. I'd rather not have it spell everything out. That's part of the game's charm.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
xavier c wrote:

1)How do Agathions view and interact with Archons and Azatas and angels?

2)How do Archons view and interact with Agathions and Azatas and angels?

3)How do Azatas view and interact with Archons and Agathions and angels?

4)How do angels view and interact with Archons and Azatas and Agathions?

1–4) Depends on the situation, circumstances, specific group, timing, and more.

That's pretty much my answer for ALL "How does x interact with y" when the questions are so broad. It's better to pick a tightly organized group as at least one of the two variables here—it's easier to answer something like "How does the Red Mantis interact with demons?" or even better, "How does the Red Mantis interact with the cult of Sifkesh?"

How do Succubi interact with Fiendish Dinosaurs?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Rysky wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Rysky wrote:
Do you have any questions left over from Dark Souls that you hope Dark Souls 2 answers?
Not really. The storyline in Dark Souls is really subtle and open to interpretation; it doesn't really raise questions to me as a result, since in order to raise questions, you need to actually pose those questions AS questions.
True, although to me there is the question of Humanity. What is it? Is it good? Is it evil? Don't have enough and you turn undead and go insane. Have too much and you turn into a demon.
More to the point... Dark Souls's strength is that it DOESN'T really spell out answers. Humanity is what you make of it, based on the clues and hints the game presents visually and mechanically. I'd rather not have it spell everything out. That's part of the game's charm.

True, and have you preordered Dark Souls 2?

Have you seen all the trailers? what about the armor making video?

Contributor

There is a very noticeable trend for good celestials to look like humans/elves with the agathions being notable exceptions. Although monstrous, even the Azata usually possess human-or-elf-like features. On that note, some questions:

If I walk into a dwarven temple, would I see angels with dwarven features (long beards, stocky frames, shorter, dwarven weapons)?

If I walk into a vanara temple, would I see depictions of angels with vanara features?

If the answer to either of these questions is, why?

And while we're on the subject, why are angels often possessing predominantly human-or-elf like traits with only a few exceptions. (The angelic familiar race is honestly the only one I can think of.)

Are the angelic realms humanocentric too?

Liberty's Edge

I realize that the timelines of the APs are entirely up to the GM, and that each AP is not necessarily bound to another, I can't help but feel that Runelords, Crimson Throne, and Second Darkness would have portions of each campaign that would be occurring concurrently.

The first chapter of Second Darkness has an event occur that, I imagine, would be visible to the characters in Runelords and Crimson Throne, regardless of where they may be in relation to SD.

Realizing that some liberal assumptions regarding the pacing of an AP needs to be made, at what points would you have Runelords and Crimson Throne coincide with the conclusion of Chapter 1 of Second Darkness?

Apologies if this has been asked before.


James Jacobs wrote:
Wraithcannon wrote:

The Staff of the Master from Ultimate Equipment;

PRD wrote:

STAFF OF THE MASTER Price 30,000 gp; Aura moderate necromancy; CL 8th; Weight 5 lbs.

Often given as gifts to apprentices upon reaching the rank of master, these staves come in eight different varieties, one for each school of magic. This particular staff is for the school of necromancy. Aside from acting as a +1/+1 quarterstaff, this staff allows use of the following spells:

Ray of enfeeblement (1 charge)
Spectral hand (1 charge)
Vampiric touch (2 charges)

In addition, this staff can be used to cast spells using any metamagic feats known by the wielder without increasing the spell's level. This consumes a number of charges equal to the number of spell levels increased by the feat. No more than one feat can be applied to a spell cast by the wielder in this way. Using the staff for this purpose does not increase the casting time of the spell.

CONSTRUCTION REQUIREMENTS Cost 15,300 gp Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Craft Staff, ray of enfeeblement, spectral hand, vampiric touch

This item only details one of the eight possible versions, could you provide us rules for the other 7? We would just need you to assign each staff a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd lvl spell from the school it was attuned to.

Thanks

I cannot. I've got an enormous project I need to be working on during all my game design chances.

It's easy enough to make other similar staves though; just change the three spells to other spells of the same level of the target school.

Ah, I understand. I was asking for PFS play reasons, where we can't just do it ourselves (as much as we'd like to).

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Have you ever read any of Glen Cook's "Black Company" books?

Shadow Lodge

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook Subscriber

Have you guys done up a poaching demon yet? Like a demon who's crafted from the souls of poachers and whalers who believe that their murders and harvesting isn't even harmful and their resources infinite? Something built around that moby dick quote about the sustainability of whaling that basically goes "Bahh they will never run out, and we can hunt them to the ends of the earth in terror and blood" kind of schtick? I would if so I would love to know, I could totally see them then hunting mortals in a similar way, crafting them into needed supplies on the outer planes and helping completely exterminate whole species for sport or profitable parts.


James Jacobs wrote:
Odraude wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Odraude wrote:
Reading a bunch of Pathfinder and DnD articles on gambling games had me wondering. How do you make a dice gambling game? I want to put my players in a casino with some homemade games.
The best place to look first is real-world gambling games. In fact, simply using real world dice games is a great solution. Barring that, there's all sorts of game theory and statistics and all that that goes into game design, be it a dice gambling game or an RPG, and the more you design games, the better at it you get.
What's a good online resource to read and learn about game theory?

That's a better question for Jason, really... I don't know any online resources of that sort.

EDIT: SRM might be a better person to ask, actually; he teaches game design after all!

Thanks. One last question... who is SRM?


Azatas predate elves, correct?

Would be more accurate to say that elves have azata features, rather than azatas having elven features?

Is there a direct link between the azata and the start of the elves as a mortal race? Was Calistia involved in that somehow?


Pathfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Society Subscriber

Hi James,

- Does disintegrate destroy an entire wall of force, or only a part of it?

- Can you teleport/dimension door/etc inside an antilife shell?

- What type of slaying arrow do solars shoot? standard or greater?

- Is it possible to dispel a Mage's Magnificent Mansion? Can you do it if you target the invisible entrance?

- I understand the demons' summon is a full-round action, as per the spell-like abilities rules. Do you think it would be unbalanced to change the casting time to a standard action? In my experience, my players always disrupt the casting of summoning spells due to the long casting time, and in this case the DM also has to roll a d100 to see if another demon answers the call.

Thanks!

The Exchange

Q: What is the point of the Astral Projection, Lesser spell?

It's a cleric/oracle 5, sorcerer/wizard 5 spell that's substantially less powerful than it's 9th level companion. "This spell functions as astral projection, except you cannot leave the Astral Plane and explore other planes (though you can still return to the plane you were on when you cast this spell)."

The Astral Plane has the following traits:

  • Subjective Directional Gravity
  • Timeless: Age, hunger, thirst, afflictions (such as diseases, curses, and poisons) and natural healing don't function in the Astral Plane though they resume functioning when the traveler leaves the Astral Plane.
  • Mildly Neutral-Aligned
  • Enhanced Magic: All spells and spell-like abilities used within the Astral Plane may be employed as if they were improved by the Quicken Spell or Quicken Spell-Like Ability feats. Already quickened spells and spell-like abilities are unaffected, as are spells from magic items. Spells so quickened are still prepared and cast at their unmodified level. As with the Quicken Spell feat, only one quickened spell or spell-like ability can be cast per round.

I've been trying to figure out any valid use of this spell. So far I only have the following:

  • Vacation - You like to travel and you've never been there. But once you've seen "a great, endless expanse of clear silvery sky, both above and below, with only occasional bits of solid matter", I don't really think you'd want to vacation there again.
  • Dying of old age - I guess you could prolong life but you'd die of boredom instead.
  • Dying of hunger/thirst - Makes more sense. Somehow contact somebody and tell them where your physical body is (hopefully safe), and then retreat to the Astral Plane until help arrives. That doesn't come up too often in my experience...
  • Escape an affliction (such as diseases, curses, and poisons) - OK, almost plausible/feasible. Somebody has something bad and you take them to the Astral Plane until another compatriot can memorize a spell to help them. Very situational.
  • All spells are Quickened - All spells are quickened but you can only cast one quickened spell in a round. Quicken only works on casting times 1 full round or less. If you could cast a quickened spell and a non-quickened one you could halve your prep time (can you choose to cast a spell and not have it quickened?). It would have to be timed just right - the Astral Projection spell itself takes 30 minutes to cast.

Is there some obvious use I'm missing?

I've seen a suggestion that - since you can only return to the plane you cast this from - you could "leave the Astral Plane, forming a new physical body (and equipment) on the plane of existence you have chosen to enter." This would create a second body, duplicating your gear, etc. "you gain two permanent negative levels if your second body or astral form is slain," but no risk of death or losing your magic items. Is this the intent? It seems rather cheesy.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Rysky wrote:


How do Succubi interact with Fiendish Dinosaurs?

In a friendly manner, one would hope.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Rysky wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Rysky wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Rysky wrote:
Do you have any questions left over from Dark Souls that you hope Dark Souls 2 answers?
Not really. The storyline in Dark Souls is really subtle and open to interpretation; it doesn't really raise questions to me as a result, since in order to raise questions, you need to actually pose those questions AS questions.
True, although to me there is the question of Humanity. What is it? Is it good? Is it evil? Don't have enough and you turn undead and go insane. Have too much and you turn into a demon.
More to the point... Dark Souls's strength is that it DOESN'T really spell out answers. Humanity is what you make of it, based on the clues and hints the game presents visually and mechanically. I'd rather not have it spell everything out. That's part of the game's charm.

True, and have you preordered Dark Souls 2?

Have you seen all the trailers? what about the armor making video?

I've not yet pre-ordered Dark Souls 2, because I'm waiting to see it confirmed for PS4 and/or Xbox One... and if it only gets confirmed for Xbox One, I'm waiting to see if I can find an Xbox One for sale before Dark Souls 2 comes out.

I've watched some of the trailers, but not all, since I've not seen the armor making video. I'm not gonna either. At this point, I know enough that I want the game, and I'd rather leave the rest of it to be experienced for the first time during gameplay.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Alexander Augunas wrote:

There is a very noticeable trend for good celestials to look like humans/elves with the agathions being notable exceptions. Although monstrous, even the Azata usually possess human-or-elf-like features. On that note, some questions:

If I walk into a dwarven temple, would I see angels with dwarven features (long beards, stocky frames, shorter, dwarven weapons)?

If I walk into a vanara temple, would I see depictions of angels with vanara features?

If the answer to either of these questions is, why?

And while we're on the subject, why are angels often possessing predominantly human-or-elf like traits with only a few exceptions. (The angelic familiar race is honestly the only one I can think of.)

Are the angelic realms humanocentric too?

That's because we're focusing on outsiders associated with humanoids, who are the focus of Golarion and our products. There are doubtless other races of outsiders out there who associate more closely with other types of intelligence, but we're leaving them to other game companies or writers to explore.

Dwarves mostly worship their own pantheon of deities, and none of them are empyreal lords (no angels). If a dwarf worships an angel Empyreal Lord, they most likely worship it in that form.

Vanara have their own pantheon of deities as well.

Yes; angelic realms are humanoid-friendly.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

HangarFlying wrote:

I realize that the timelines of the APs are entirely up to the GM, and that each AP is not necessarily bound to another, I can't help but feel that Runelords, Crimson Throne, and Second Darkness would have portions of each campaign that would be occurring concurrently.

The first chapter of Second Darkness has an event occur that, I imagine, would be visible to the characters in Runelords and Crimson Throne, regardless of where they may be in relation to SD.

Realizing that some liberal assumptions regarding the pacing of an AP needs to be made, at what points would you have Runelords and Crimson Throne coincide with the conclusion of Chapter 1 of Second Darkness?

Apologies if this has been asked before.

That's fine. And legit. As is any other interpretation of the timing for those adventure paths. That's the entire point of why we're vague about their start dates and durations... their start dates and durations should be what works best for your game, not everyone's game.

In my own head-space, the first three APs do not happen simultaneously, but do indeed more or less happen in the sequence they are published.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Wraithcannon wrote:
Ah, I understand. I was asking for PFS play reasons, where we can't just do it ourselves (as much as we'd like to).

In which case, my standard advice there is, "Build as simple a character and concept as you're comfortable with, because the more complex you get in build or history, the more likely you are to set yourself up for frustration."

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
Have you ever read any of Glen Cook's "Black Company" books?

Nope. I own them, and they're on the list of books I'd like to read before I die... but I currently have a bookcase about 5 feet tall crammed full with books like that, along with a few other stacks sitting nearby. The order in which I read those books has a lot to do with my free time, and what particular interest I have when I finish a book and need a new one. And if it's not George Martin, the chances of me picking up a new fantasy series to read it is MUCH SMALLER than me picking up a horror novel.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

doc the grey wrote:
Have you guys done up a poaching demon yet? Like a demon who's crafted from the souls of poachers and whalers who believe that their murders and harvesting isn't even harmful and their resources infinite? Something built around that moby dick quote about the sustainability of whaling that basically goes "Bahh they will never run out, and we can hunt them to the ends of the earth in terror and blood" kind of schtick? I would if so I would love to know, I could totally see them then hunting mortals in a similar way, crafting them into needed supplies on the outer planes and helping completely exterminate whole species for sport or profitable parts.

The kithangian demon is your best bet here; they're formed from the souls of those who abuse animals. The connotation is that there's more bestiality implied there than poaching... but for now, poaching works as well. I do have a giant list of sins and the like that could be tied to new demons, and poaching is on that list, so perhaps some day...

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Odraude wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Odraude wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Odraude wrote:
Reading a bunch of Pathfinder and DnD articles on gambling games had me wondering. How do you make a dice gambling game? I want to put my players in a casino with some homemade games.
The best place to look first is real-world gambling games. In fact, simply using real world dice games is a great solution. Barring that, there's all sorts of game theory and statistics and all that that goes into game design, be it a dice gambling game or an RPG, and the more you design games, the better at it you get.
What's a good online resource to read and learn about game theory?

That's a better question for Jason, really... I don't know any online resources of that sort.

EDIT: SRM might be a better person to ask, actually; he teaches game design after all!

Thanks. One last question... who is SRM?

Stephen Radney-MacFarland. One of our in-house designers.

Silver Crusade

Would you say using Hellfire Ray on someone to damn them would be an instant "go to Hell" judgment when the caster finally goes before Pharasma? Even if their target was hellbound at the time they were slain?

possibly building up a diabolist tragedy

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Zhangar wrote:

Azatas predate elves, correct?

Would be more accurate to say that elves have azata features, rather than azatas having elven features?

Is there a direct link between the azata and the start of the elves as a mortal race? Was Calistia involved in that somehow?

We haven't actually confirmed if azatas predate elves or vice-versa yet, as far as I know. One certainly informed the other though... azatas are definitely elven in appearance, attitude, and alignment. Or vice-versa. That is by design.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Sc8rpi8n_mjd wrote:

Hi James,

1- Does disintegrate destroy an entire wall of force, or only a part of it?

2- Can you teleport/dimension door/etc inside an antilife shell?

3- What type of slaying arrow do solars shoot? standard or greater?

4- Is it possible to dispel a Mage's Magnificent Mansion? Can you do it if you target the invisible entrance?

5- I understand the demons' summon is a full-round action, as per the spell-like abilities rules. Do you think it would be unbalanced to change the casting time to a standard action? In my experience, my players always disrupt the casting of summoning spells due to the long casting time, and in this case the DM also has to roll a d100 to see if another demon answers the call.

Thanks!

1) All of it.

2) Yes. But it's mobile, so if the dude who's got the shell going moves far enough from you (10 feet away), you're back outside and can't get back in.

3) Standard.

4) You can dispel any spell effect that has a duration of longer than instantaneous. Mage's magnificent mansion has a duration of 2 hours/level, so you can indeed dispel it. You'd have to target the entrance to do so, or if you're inside, just any part of the structure. Or if you had an area dispel type effect, you'd only have to catch the area where the invisible entrance is locate.

5) Demons shouldn't really be summoning aid when they're in combat, first of all; it should be something they do before combat, since a summoned demon sticks around for an hour. Also, since a summoned demon can really tip the balance of an encounter to the demon's side... there absolutely SHOULD be some checks and balances in there for the demon's foes to stop it from happening. So... yes, it would be unbalanced to change it to a standard action.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

eldergod0515 wrote:
Q: What is the point of the Astral Projection, Lesser spell?

Frankly? I don't know. It shouldn't exist in my opinion, and there should only be the 9th level version.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Mikaze wrote:

Would you say using Hellfire Ray on someone to damn them would be an instant "go to Hell" judgment when the caster finally goes before Pharasma? Even if their target was hellbound at the time they were slain?

possibly building up a diabolist tragedy

Where's hellfire ray from, and what is it? A spell? A class ability?

I'd say that if it's basically just a spell with the Evil descriptor... using it once isn't enough to consign you to Hell, especially if you counter that use with doing good works as well and especially if you use the evil spell for good.

Quantity and intent matter in other words.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Rysky wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Rysky wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Rysky wrote:
Do you have any questions left over from Dark Souls that you hope Dark Souls 2 answers?
Not really. The storyline in Dark Souls is really subtle and open to interpretation; it doesn't really raise questions to me as a result, since in order to raise questions, you need to actually pose those questions AS questions.
True, although to me there is the question of Humanity. What is it? Is it good? Is it evil? Don't have enough and you turn undead and go insane. Have too much and you turn into a demon.
More to the point... Dark Souls's strength is that it DOESN'T really spell out answers. Humanity is what you make of it, based on the clues and hints the game presents visually and mechanically. I'd rather not have it spell everything out. That's part of the game's charm.

True, and have you preordered Dark Souls 2?

Have you seen all the trailers? what about the armor making video?

I've not yet pre-ordered Dark Souls 2, because I'm waiting to see it confirmed for PS4 and/or Xbox One... and if it only gets confirmed for Xbox One, I'm waiting to see if I can find an Xbox One for sale before Dark Souls 2 comes out.

I've watched some of the trailers, but not all, since I've not seen the armor making video. I'm not gonna either. At this point, I know enough that I want the game, and I'd rather leave the rest of it to be experienced for the first time during gameplay.

The Silent Comedy's Bartholomew is what helped sell Dark Souls for me :3

And the armor making video isn't about the game at all, they sent concept art of the 'iconic' protagonist to an Armorsmith and he and his wife makes the armor set as well as the shield and sword, ish pretty neat.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Mikaze wrote:

Would you say using Hellfire Ray on someone to damn them would be an instant "go to Hell" judgment when the caster finally goes before Pharasma? Even if their target was hellbound at the time they were slain?

possibly building up a diabolist tragedy

Where's hellfire ray from, and what is it? A spell? A class ability?

I'd say that if it's basically just a spell with the Evil descriptor... using it once isn't enough to consign you to Hell, especially if you counter that use with doing good works as well and especially if you use the evil spell for good.

Quantity and intent matter in other words.

It's a spell that, if the target dies from the damage, damns their soul immediately to Hell.

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Companion, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber; Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Superscriber

Also do you have any questions you want to ask us, the masses?

Do you have any questions you want to ask me?

Silver Crusade

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber
James Jacobs wrote:
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
Have you ever read any of Glen Cook's "Black Company" books?
Nope. I own them, and they're on the list of books I'd like to read before I die... but I currently have a bookcase about 5 feet tall crammed full with books like that, along with a few other stacks sitting nearby. The order in which I read those books has a lot to do with my free time, and what particular interest I have when I finish a book and need a new one. And if it's not George Martin, the chances of me picking up a new fantasy series to read it is MUCH SMALLER than me picking up a horror novel.

Sounds like we've got the same problem right now. And I haven't even STARTED reading George Martin's stuff yet! I'm too busy reading all the Arthurian books I got from Paizo's clearance sale! :P

So mortals like Iomedae, Norgorber and Cayden Cailean basically had 10 mythic ranks BEFORE they took the Test of the Starstone, correct? 10 ranks in Mythic and Divine Source makes you a Quasi-Deity, and taking the test basically pushes someone at that point over the edge into true divinity?

And speaking of which, how did Arazni become a demigod?

Silver Crusade

James Jacobs wrote:
Mikaze wrote:

Would you say using Hellfire Ray on someone to damn them would be an instant "go to Hell" judgment when the caster finally goes before Pharasma? Even if their target was hellbound at the time they were slain?

possibly building up a diabolist tragedy

Where's hellfire ray from, and what is it? A spell? A class ability?

I'd say that if it's basically just a spell with the Evil descriptor... using it once isn't enough to consign you to Hell, especially if you counter that use with doing good works as well and especially if you use the evil spell for good.

Quantity and intent matter in other words.

It was from the first Book of the Damned, IIRC. Rysky covered most of what it does though: Works a bit like scorching ray, but if it kills the target they must make a Will save or be damned to Hell, bypassing Pharasma's judgment and making it harder to be raised by non-evil clerics/oracles. As for the how it was used, it would be used against an evil target, but less because the character was out to stop evil and more taking vengeance on him for hurting people she cared about.

I was wondering if it might be a situation where severity would outweigh quantity in Pharasma's eyes. :)

(or Sarenrae's considering her followers would be the most likely to pull this character back from evil...)


I'm trying to figure out what sort of Path Abilities Arueshalae should take as she advances through the Trickster path and was hoping you could give some suggestions?

Considering her incredible Bluff skill, I was thinking that Combat Trickery is probably a good choice. I'm also considering making her the Mortal Herald of Desna (from the Mythic Origins book) with the Liberation domain.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Rysky wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Mikaze wrote:

Would you say using Hellfire Ray on someone to damn them would be an instant "go to Hell" judgment when the caster finally goes before Pharasma? Even if their target was hellbound at the time they were slain?

possibly building up a diabolist tragedy

Where's hellfire ray from, and what is it? A spell? A class ability?

I'd say that if it's basically just a spell with the Evil descriptor... using it once isn't enough to consign you to Hell, especially if you counter that use with doing good works as well and especially if you use the evil spell for good.

Quantity and intent matter in other words.

It's a spell that, if the target dies from the damage, damns their soul immediately to Hell.

Ah. That's pretty hard core. Yeah, I'd say that if it does damn a soul to Hell... that pretty much means you're headed there too.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Rysky wrote:

Also do you have any questions you want to ask us, the masses?

Do you have any questions you want to ask me?

Nope. Not here, at least. I do now and then, and when I do, I start new threads! :P

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Archpaladin Zousha wrote:

So mortals like Iomedae, Norgorber and Cayden Cailean basically had 10 mythic ranks BEFORE they took the Test of the Starstone, correct? 10 ranks in Mythic and Divine Source makes you a Quasi-Deity, and taking the test basically pushes someone at that point over the edge into true divinity?

And speaking of which, how did Arazni become a demigod?

Probably, yes; although we've not yet and might never map out how they went from mortals to gods.

And as for Arazni... she was invested with holy power by Aroden when he made her his herald, and he also gave her quasi-deity powers, and when she died and was brought back as a lich, those abilities became corrupted. She's technically not a demigod but a quasi-deity in any event.

40,851 to 40,900 of 77,271 << first < prev | 813 | 814 | 815 | 816 | 817 | 818 | 819 | 820 | 821 | 822 | 823 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / >>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<< All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.