>>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<<


Off-Topic Discussions

59,451 to 59,500 of 83,732 << first < prev | 1185 | 1186 | 1187 | 1188 | 1189 | 1190 | 1191 | 1192 | 1193 | 1194 | 1195 | next > last >>
Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Aelryinth wrote:

JJ,

About your take on Pharasma and knowing all of Fate:

Does the trope of being 'fateless', being able to change fate, fate competing vs luck/chance, and 'not having a destiny' not exist in Golarion? It's a fairly standard device to make sure the future is NOT always certain, but you make it seem as if it's set in stone for Pharasma.

Or is merely that she can't see 'everything', but the major points are always fixed?

==Aelryinth

The future can be changed AND Pharasma can know what the future will be—these things are not mutually exclusive.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Steve Geddes wrote:

Cheers. I'm certainly fine with not liking something most of the planet seems to. I was just puzzled. :)

With regard to musicals and "hating" them - do you just find them boring? Contrived? Something else?

Have you ever seen one you actually liked?

I'm actually okay with animated movies that are musicals. I quite enjoyed Aladdin and Nightmare Before Christmas, for example. And now that I think of it, I enjoyed Moulin Rogue as well... but that's a musical ABOUT musical stuff, so that's fine.

What bothers me, I guess, is the disconnect of people getting together to sing when there's no reason they'd all know the same song or dance. It's distracting from the plot.

RPG Superstar 2012 Top 16

You evaded the question. :)

Can there be someone with fate whose future cannot be seen? Or who can change the future in an unknown way because they can't be seen?

==Aelryinth

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Steve Geddes wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Pharasma's NOT about "not giving two mehs" at all. She knows what's going to happen, being the goddess of fate and prophecy and all that, and since the entire future is essentially "spoiled" for her, she just doesn't look at it in the same way us mortals do.
How does this tie in with the Age of Lost Omens? Does that mean that prophecy does still "work", just that mortals no longer have access to it? I'd always kind of assumed that it had impacted on Pharasma as well.

Pharasma didn't name it the "Age of Lost Omens" first of all.

And the change at that age's outset didn't actually phase or hurt Pharasma at all... but it DID wreak havoc on her faith and on her worshipers.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Joana wrote:
Given an object d'art as treasure, how much of a discount would you put on the sale price if the PCs wanted to melt it down and sell it as its component parts (i.e., gold, jewels, etc.) rather than as a whole? That is, what percentage of the value should be 'artistry' and what raw materials?

Depends on the object, but I'd say as a general rule that reducing it to 10% of its original value would work in most cases. But then again, I personally think that the artistry part of anything is worth a LOT more than the base materials.


James Jacobs wrote:
Steve Geddes wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Pharasma's NOT about "not giving two mehs" at all. She knows what's going to happen, being the goddess of fate and prophecy and all that, and since the entire future is essentially "spoiled" for her, she just doesn't look at it in the same way us mortals do.
How does this tie in with the Age of Lost Omens? Does that mean that prophecy does still "work", just that mortals no longer have access to it? I'd always kind of assumed that it had impacted on Pharasma as well.

Pharasma didn't name it the "Age of Lost Omens" first of all.

And the change at that age's outset didn't actually phase or hurt Pharasma at all... but it DID wreak havoc on her faith and on her worshipers.

Could the lost omen refer to the fact that Cheliax did not get it's promised Golden Age of expansion and glory due to the failure of a certain god to make his appointment?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Aelryinth wrote:

You evaded the question. :)

Can there be someone with fate whose future cannot be seen? Or who can change the future in an unknown way because they can't be seen?

==Aelryinth

Depends on the story you want to tell.

If we were to tell this story, that person without a future would either:

a) Still have a future Pharasma knows about, but that no one else knows about, or...

b) Have a future that Pharasma DOESN'T know about, which would make it the singularly most important and dangerous person in all of existence and someone Pharasma might actually take action against OR let run amok, and in either case, that could have HUGE repercussions on the setting.

With option (a) above, the story could play out any way we want, and be as little or big as we want.

With option (b) above, I don't see a way to do the story justice without making it the BIGGEST story in the setting that could ever be, and by definition would make all the stories before and after "lesser." I don't want to do that.

Put another way: I guess I'm not a big fan of the plot you suggest, and as Creative Director of the setting, it's unlikely to ever happen as a result. There's a billion other stories I want to see us tell first.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Drahliana Moonrunner wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Steve Geddes wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Pharasma's NOT about "not giving two mehs" at all. She knows what's going to happen, being the goddess of fate and prophecy and all that, and since the entire future is essentially "spoiled" for her, she just doesn't look at it in the same way us mortals do.
How does this tie in with the Age of Lost Omens? Does that mean that prophecy does still "work", just that mortals no longer have access to it? I'd always kind of assumed that it had impacted on Pharasma as well.

Pharasma didn't name it the "Age of Lost Omens" first of all.

And the change at that age's outset didn't actually phase or hurt Pharasma at all... but it DID wreak havoc on her faith and on her worshipers.

Could the lost omen refer to the fact that Cheliax did not get it's promised Golden Age of expansion and glory due to the failure of a certain god to make his appointment?

In fact, that's the exact omen it refers to.

There are certainly plenty of prophecies that could still play out as expected, if only out of sheer chance.

But the fact that Aroden died and Cheliax didn't get its promised Golden Age really threw off humanity, which includes the era's current calendar makers and age-keepers, so they got to name it.

The meta reason for all of this, of course, is because several of us (myself, Erik, etc.) find the trope of the "prophecy" as it's been used in countless fantasy stories over the past several years/decades to be tired and cliched and worn out and lazy, and by essentially saying that it doesn't work that way in Golarion helps to set our setting apart from the rest. The fact that it also ties into the fact that player characters are notorious for taking the story in directions the adventure writer and//or GM doesn't expect (and thus "breaking prophecy") is also something that shouldn't be overlooked... after all... it wasn't until AFTER the Age of Lost Omens began and prophecy broke that we let PCs into the world!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
James Jacobs wrote:
Bahamut wrote:

Mr. Jacobs,

With the coming of the new Strange Aeons AP I was wondering, what's your favorite Mythos creature(s) and why?

(Sorry if you've already answered this question)

Thanks!

Hastur is my favorite, because he's so mysterious and thought provoking and creepy, and combines into one entity everything that's compelling and frightening about human nature AND inhuman nature. And the fact that I liked the picture of him in the 1st Edition Deities & Demigods book the best of all the Cthulhu Mythos monster pictures certainly helped!

His complicated real life backstory (Bierce to Chambers to Lovecraft) certainly helps with the enigmatic nature of his being. His exact nature was and is very hard to pin down but I agree that somehow works in his favor to make him seem compelling and strange.

The illustration where he's depicted as a giant tentacled, cilia-covered dinosaur? That's a good one, I wonder which source the artist pulled for that one? Mostly he gets illustrated in the form of the King in Yellow, such as in Bestiary 4. Maybe the kaiju-sized worm/lizard thing was a Derleth interpretation? Idk.

Thank you again for answering!

Radiant Oath

Pathfinder Adventure Path, Companion, Lost Omens, Rulebook, Starfinder Adventure Path, Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Starfinder Society Subscriber

How do I decide for myself what is "cool" or "awesome?" Because I'm finding that when I design characters I'm constantly doubting myself and asking others (including you), if the character I've designed actually is cool or if it's stupid and I'm just suffering from confirmation bias. Because the confirmation bias is starting to make me feel like the character's going to look or sound stupid no matter WHAT decision I make regarding something as trivial as their name, or hair color, or character class.


So what happens to a werewolf on the moon, or on a planet with no moons, or with multiple moons?


What is your favorite template to apply to a humanoid?


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Hi James

I'm currently running a "Wrath of the Righteous" campaign and one of my players is pursuing a romantic relationship with Arueshalae. what exactly counts as an "act of passion" for her energy drain besides the obvious? would a hug trigger it, can they hold hands and even cuddle at night while his character sleeps? is he safe as long as they avoid kissing or any other sexual contact with each other? Or is any kinda of physical contact a no go and she is basically one big no fly zone until she is redeemed?


Paizo Superscriber; Pathfinder Companion, LO Special Edition, Pathfinder Accessories, PF Special Edition Subscriber; Starfinder Superscriber

The shadowcallers of Nidal use nightglasses to test children for magical aptitude. For what kind of aptitude are they looking?

I get the impression the answer is, or is mostly, wizardry, but do they accept other potential classes, like sorcerer or arcanist or bard, or others?

I have the impression that many (most?) shadowcallers are multiclassed wizard/clerics. Is my impression accurate?

In Liane Merciel's Nightglass Isiem is talking to the Black Triune about their plan to "send him to Cheliax". He objects, saying 'I don't have my ring yet'. What does this ring signify?

By the time Isiem gets to the Crackspire area in that story, he's 25, and his been undergoing presumably mostly wizardly training for some 14 years. Without getting too deeply into "it wasn't all wizardly training" what level is he likely to be?

In what school(s) of magic are shadowcallers likely to specialize?

The Exchange

If you had a chance to bring something from Golarion that was unique to that planet as an artefact in your house (display cabinet kind of thing), what would you choose? A reason for why you'd choose this would be cool too.

Appologies for the poor question structure.


Was Athyra from "Racing to Ruin" one of your PCs at some point, or does Tim Hitchcock or someone else in that adventure's production team just happen to share your taste in animal companions? And on a related note, just how jazzed are you at finally placing Shensen as a major plot-relevant NPC in a Pathfinder Adventure Path?

I'm guessing your answer to Wrath's question just above, but I'll spoiler it so that you probably won't see it before you answer, on the off chance that it's a close call and seeing the suggestion would affect your choice.

Spoiler:
Was it the Sihedron?
I guess we'll see.

James Jacobs wrote:

I'm actually okay with animated movies that are musicals. I quite enjoyed Aladdin and Nightmare Before Christmas, for example. And now that I think of it, I enjoyed Moulin Rogue as well... but that's a musical ABOUT musical stuff, so that's fine.

What bothers me, I guess, is the disconnect of people getting together to sing when there's no reason they'd all know the same song or dance. It's distracting from the plot.

I quite like musicals myself, but I can certainly see how that could destroy one's suspension of disbelief and make them unenjoyable. Have you ever seen the Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode "Once More, With Feeling," and if so, did you enjoy it? I liked that (a) there was an actual, plot-centric reason for all the singing and dancing that wasn't much sillier than any other BtVS single-episode plot, and (b) the characters noticed it was happening, noticed it was weird, and discussed what might be causing it in the first of the episode's two big ensemble numbers.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Bahamut wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Bahamut wrote:

Mr. Jacobs,

With the coming of the new Strange Aeons AP I was wondering, what's your favorite Mythos creature(s) and why?

(Sorry if you've already answered this question)

Thanks!

Hastur is my favorite, because he's so mysterious and thought provoking and creepy, and combines into one entity everything that's compelling and frightening about human nature AND inhuman nature. And the fact that I liked the picture of him in the 1st Edition Deities & Demigods book the best of all the Cthulhu Mythos monster pictures certainly helped!

His complicated real life backstory (Bierce to Chambers to Lovecraft) certainly helps with the enigmatic nature of his being. His exact nature was and is very hard to pin down but I agree that somehow works in his favor to make him seem compelling and strange.

The illustration where he's depicted as a giant tentacled, cilia-covered dinosaur? That's a good one, I wonder which source the artist pulled for that one? Mostly he gets illustrated in the form of the King in Yellow, such as in Bestiary 4. Maybe the kaiju-sized worm/lizard thing was a Derleth interpretation? Idk.

Thank you again for answering!

My guess is that Erol Otus pulled that illustration of Hastur out of his own brain—Hastur generally isn't described, and rarely in the same way twice, if you go away from the King in Yellow stuff. The Derleth interpretation is not, as far as I know, the kaiju worm lizard; if I recall correctly he describes Hastur, when he does at all, as a more octopus blob type thing.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Archpaladin Zousha wrote:
How do I decide for myself what is "cool" or "awesome?" Because I'm finding that when I design characters I'm constantly doubting myself and asking others (including you), if the character I've designed actually is cool or if it's stupid and I'm just suffering from confirmation bias. Because the confirmation bias is starting to make me feel like the character's going to look or sound stupid no matter WHAT decision I make regarding something as trivial as their name, or hair color, or character class.

Practice, I guess? As you continue to age and continue to consume entertainment, your tastes will evolve and grow as well. At some point, you'll be confident in your own tastes, having spent years engaging with stuff and bringing in the reactions of friends and critics to help you hone your own opinions. Self-doubt is something that afflicts a LOT of creators, though... and it's something that you kind of have to learn to live with, I guess. And you might never outgrow it. For example, I'm still super paranoid that in the end folks will hate "A Song of Silver." So far, most of the chatter on volume 100 has been about the Aroden article or the big NPC retrospective; there hasn't been much said relatively about the adventure itself. It DOES have a review up now, so that helps (event though it again seems to focus more on the supplementary material—the reviewer says he just "flipped through" the adventure itself)—AKA getting positive feedback from your friends and others can help to fight the self-doubts... but in my experience, self-doubt is here to stay. You just have to learn to live with it and focus more on the positive parts of the creative process, I guess?

Paizo Employee Creative Director

3 people marked this as a favorite.
Paladin of Baha-who? wrote:
So what happens to a werewolf on the moon, or on a planet with no moons, or with multiple moons?

Good question! One I've often wondered about myself.

I'd say that with no moon, a werewolf doesn't change involuntarily and wouldn't be native to that world. This goes for a moon itself.

For multiple moons, I'd say that each individual werewolf would be attuned to one specific moon.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
The Fiend Fantastic wrote:
What is your favorite template to apply to a humanoid?

Half-fiend.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Alundrell wrote:

Hi James

I'm currently running a "Wrath of the Righteous" campaign and one of my players is pursuing a romantic relationship with Arueshalae. what exactly counts as an "act of passion" for her energy drain besides the obvious? would a hug trigger it, can they hold hands and even cuddle at night while his character sleeps? is he safe as long as they avoid kissing or any other sexual contact with each other? Or is any kinda of physical contact a no go and she is basically one big no fly zone until she is redeemed?

That's up to you to decide, but "Passion" is defined as a "strong or barely controlled emotion," and so idly holding hands or a short hug or even a peck on the cheek would likely not trigger it... although the more impulsive and spur of the moment the act was, the more likely it WOULD trigger it.

If you DON'T nail down exact whens and leave it up in the air and let the player know that, that helps to create a cool sense of tension. At the very least, perhaps you could say that if it's not a full-on romantic act, Arueshalae needs to make a successful Will Save (DC = 10 + 1/2 the PC's level + the PC's Charisma modifier) to avoid draining life.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Ed Reppert wrote:

The shadowcallers of Nidal use nightglasses to test children for magical aptitude. For what kind of aptitude are they looking?

I get the impression the answer is, or is mostly, wizardry, but do they accept other potential classes, like sorcerer or arcanist or bard, or others?

I have the impression that many (most?) shadowcallers are multiclassed wizard/clerics. Is my impression accurate?

In Liane Merciel's Nightglass Isiem is talking to the Black Triune about their plan to "send him to Cheliax". He objects, saying 'I don't have my ring yet'. What does this ring signify?

By the time Isiem gets to the Crackspire area in that story, he's 25, and his been undergoing presumably mostly wizardly training for some 14 years. Without getting too deeply into "it wasn't all wizardly training" what level is he likely to be?

In what school(s) of magic are shadowcallers likely to specialize?

I'd say what they're looking for is a combination of magical potential (in game terms, high Int, Wis, or Cha) to determine what type of magic they would be best suited for, combined with perhaps their alignment or predisposition toward sadisim.

I'm not sure what "the ring" is talking about at all; that's a question for Liane or perhaps James Sutter.

As for character levels in novels, I know that Sutter does encourage his authors to keep levels in mind and he does work to ensure that they "play by the rules," but there's also a fair amount of leeway as well. I don't track these numbers until a character shows up in a book, such as the lists in front of a book like Inner Sea Magic... in the meantime, this is definitely more of a Sutter question. As a general rule, though, he prefers the characters of the novels to be mid-level, I believe. Like 3rd to 7th or thereabouts, I think.

Shadowcallers are more likely to focus on conjuration, necromancy, or illusion.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Wrath wrote:

If you had a chance to bring something from Golarion that was unique to that planet as an artefact in your house (display cabinet kind of thing), what would you choose? A reason for why you'd choose this would be cool too.

Appologies for the poor question structure.

Assuming said artifact would work as magic, then no contest—a ring of three wishes.

If it wouldn't be magic and would basically just be a replica or something of it, I suppose Ileosa's Crown of Fangs.

Of course, a Dogslicer would be cool too... and in fact, I already have one of them.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Kavren Stark wrote:

Was Athyra from "Racing to Ruin" one of your PCs at some point, or does Tim Hitchcock or someone else in that adventure's production team just happen to share your taste in animal companions? And on a related note, just how jazzed are you at finally placing Shensen as a major plot-relevant NPC in a Pathfinder Adventure Path?

I'm guessing your answer to Wrath's question just above, but I'll spoiler it so that you probably won't see it before you answer, on the off chance that it's a close call and seeing the suggestion would affect your choice.

Spoiler:
Was it the Sihedron?
I guess we'll see.

James Jacobs wrote:

I'm actually okay with animated movies that are musicals. I quite enjoyed Aladdin and Nightmare Before Christmas, for example. And now that I think of it, I enjoyed Moulin Rogue as well... but that's a musical ABOUT musical stuff, so that's fine.

What bothers me, I guess, is the disconnect of people getting together to sing when there's no reason they'd all know the same song or dance. It's distracting from the plot.

I quite like musicals myself, but I can certainly see how that could destroy one's suspension of disbelief and make them unenjoyable. Have you ever seen the Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode "Once More, With Feeling," and if so, did you enjoy it? I liked that (a) there was an actual, plot-centric reason for all the singing and dancing that wasn't much sillier than any other BtVS single-episode plot, and (b) the characters noticed it was happening, noticed it was weird, and discussed what might be causing it in the first of the episode's two big ensemble numbers.

Athyra wasn't one of my NPCs, although I could see how you might think that! I generally keep my PCs to myself and use them in adventures I write... so far, I've done this five times (once in "Flood Season," twice in "There Is No Honor," once in "Burnt Offerings," and once in "A Song of Silver.") The same does NOT go for NPCs from my homebrew world... there are dozens of them, maybe even hundreds at this point, in Golarion.

But no... Athyra was Tim's invention. It's not uncommon for authors to throw in things like that to delight or amuse me, actually.

I'm pretty delighted that I've got Shensen in as a major NPC in "Hell's Rebels," and in fact including her in that AP is the main reason I wanted to do the AP in the first place, and why I'd been setting hints and prepping the way with tidbits about Kintargo here and there in other products over the past several years.

I never got into Buffy. I've heard pretty much all of my friends rave about the musical episode, but I've not seen it, and am unlikely too. I've no time to watch that show, and no interest in watching just one episode, really.


Related to that, I want to ask wether the succubi can choose wheter to drain energy or not or if they have no control over the ability


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Oh, one more question: do you think you'll ever do another Adventure Path centered on the Darklands? It's been quite a while since Second Darkness, and of course that one was done with the OGL 3.5 rules instead of PFRPG. Apart from the forays into Ilmurea in Serpent's Skull, the realms of Nar-Voth, Sekamina, and Orv haven't played much of a role in the AP's since then, as far as I've seen. I wouldn't expect to see another one with the drow or the serpentfolk as principle antagonists, but I would think the derro, duergar, skum, ghouls, gugs, morlocks, urdefhans, and especially the Ether Court, neothelids, and aboleths could easily get up to an Adventure Path's worth of mischief .

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Entryhazard wrote:
Related to that, I want to ask wether the succubi can choose wheter to drain energy or not or if they have no control over the ability

They can't choose. It happens when they activate it via an act of passion.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Kavren Stark wrote:
Oh, one more question: do you think you'll ever do another Adventure Path centered on the Darklands? It's been quite a while since Second Darkness, and of course that one was done with the OGL 3.5 rules instead of PFRPG. Apart from the forays into Ilmurea in Serpent's Skull, the realms of Nar-Voth, Sekamina, and Orv haven't played much of a role in the AP's since then, as far as I've seen. I wouldn't expect to see another one with the drow or the serpentfolk as principle antagonists, but I would think the derro, duergar, skum, ghouls, gugs, morlocks, urdefhans, and especially the Ether Court, neothelids, and aboleths could easily get up to an Adventure Path's worth of mischief .

I do indeed hope to do a full AP in the Darklands some day, yes. We have visited the Darklands more often and more recently than Second Darkness and Serpent's Skull in the AP though—we went there in Shattered Star, for example, and pay a brief visit in Hell's Rebels too.

Silver Crusade

1 person marked this as a favorite.
James Jacobs wrote:
The Fiend Fantastic wrote:
What is your favorite template to apply to a humanoid?
Half-fiend.

Aaaaaaaand "applying a template" just became an innuendo.

Silver Crusade

Have you played The Old Hunters any?


Kavren Stark wrote:
...gugs...

Every Adventure Path needs more gugs. Every Adventure Path...

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Rysky wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
The Fiend Fantastic wrote:
What is your favorite template to apply to a humanoid?
Half-fiend.
Aaaaaaaand "applying a template" just became an innuendo.

Judging by how the internet and fandom reacted to the proliferation of half-dragons in early 3rd edition D&D adventures, applying a template has been an innuendo for well over a decade.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Rysky wrote:
Have you played The Old Hunters any?

Nope. I bought it, but haven't played it yet. Gonna finish Fallout first, and then might get distracted by Tomb Raider. I'll get to it eventually.

Silver Crusade

James Jacobs wrote:
Gonna finish Fallout first,

... do you mean finish-complete or finish-interest starts to wane?

Silver Crusade

James Jacobs wrote:
Rysky wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
The Fiend Fantastic wrote:
What is your favorite template to apply to a humanoid?
Half-fiend.
Aaaaaaaand "applying a template" just became an innuendo.
Judging by how the internet and fandom reacted to the proliferation of half-dragons in early 3rd edition D&D adventures, applying a template has been an innuendo for well over a decade.

Hehehehehe true :3

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Rysky wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Gonna finish Fallout first,
... do you mean finish-complete or finish-interest starts to wane?

Finish—complete, as with all Bethesda games and me! :P

I'm currently level 80 in Fallout 4, and have explored most of the locations and am closing in on the last few quests, so I'm estimating that I could probably finish it in one more solid day of gaming, which probably means I'll be done by the end of the week, I guess.

Silver Crusade

James Jacobs wrote:
Rysky wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Gonna finish Fallout first,
... do you mean finish-complete or finish-interest starts to wane?

Finish—complete, as with all Bethesda games and me! :P

I'm currently level 80 in Fallout 4, and have explored most of the locations and am closing in on the last few quests, so I'm estimating that I could probably finish it in one more solid day of gaming, which probably means I'll be done by the end of the week, I guess.

Wow.

Gratz to you ^w^

I don't think I've ever completed a Bethesda game, I always find new stuff every playthrough (I swear the move stuff around when I'm not looking...).


Today I spent the whole day looking through all my PF books and the internet to find a physical description of Mhar. So far, no luck. Does one exist? I know that stats don't exist, but that's a problem for another day. My first instinct would be 'Tentacles!, Lots of them!', but then again, I realize few Great Old Ones (Or Elder Ones or Outer Gods..or whatever part of the whole Yog-Sothothery they were) actually had them. And most of those who had, were mostly closely associated with water, the sea etc.
And that's something that isn't true with Mhar.
So, how would you describe his physical form?


James Jacobs wrote:
Alundrell wrote:

Hi James

I'm currently running a "Wrath of the Righteous" campaign and one of my players is pursuing a romantic relationship with Arueshalae. what exactly counts as an "act of passion" for her energy drain besides the obvious? would a hug trigger it, can they hold hands and even cuddle at night while his character sleeps? is he safe as long as they avoid kissing or any other sexual contact with each other? Or is any kinda of physical contact a no go and she is basically one big no fly zone until she is redeemed?

That's up to you to decide, but "Passion" is defined as a "strong or barely controlled emotion," and so idly holding hands or a short hug or even a peck on the cheek would likely not trigger it... although the more impulsive and spur of the moment the act was, the more likely it WOULD trigger it.

If you DON'T nail down exact whens and leave it up in the air and let the player know that, that helps to create a cool sense of tension. At the very least, perhaps you could say that if it's not a full-on romantic act, Arueshalae needs to make a successful Will Save (DC = 10 + 1/2 the PC's level + the PC's Charisma modifier) to avoid draining life.

In Order of the Stick, negative plane protection potions are a big overhead item for the leader of Team Nale who cohabitates with a succubus.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Hythlodeus wrote:

Today I spent the whole day looking through all my PF books and the internet to find a physical description of Mhar. So far, no luck. Does one exist? I know that stats don't exist, but that's a problem for another day. My first instinct would be 'Tentacles!, Lots of them!', but then again, I realize few Great Old Ones (Or Elder Ones or Outer Gods..or whatever part of the whole Yog-Sothothery they were) actually had them. And most of those who had, were mostly closely associated with water, the sea etc.

And that's something that isn't true with Mhar.
So, how would you describe his physical form?

I did this back in Carrion Crown, in fact.

Pathfinder #46, page 66 wrote:
Mhar's shape is unknown, for it technically has yet to enter existence. In images created by its cult, the Great Old One is generally depicted as a volcano-shaped leviathan, its caldera surrounded by immense molten fangs and its slopes bearing forests of crystaline limbs."

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Drahliana Moonrunner wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Alundrell wrote:

Hi James

I'm currently running a "Wrath of the Righteous" campaign and one of my players is pursuing a romantic relationship with Arueshalae. what exactly counts as an "act of passion" for her energy drain besides the obvious? would a hug trigger it, can they hold hands and even cuddle at night while his character sleeps? is he safe as long as they avoid kissing or any other sexual contact with each other? Or is any kinda of physical contact a no go and she is basically one big no fly zone until she is redeemed?

That's up to you to decide, but "Passion" is defined as a "strong or barely controlled emotion," and so idly holding hands or a short hug or even a peck on the cheek would likely not trigger it... although the more impulsive and spur of the moment the act was, the more likely it WOULD trigger it.

If you DON'T nail down exact whens and leave it up in the air and let the player know that, that helps to create a cool sense of tension. At the very least, perhaps you could say that if it's not a full-on romantic act, Arueshalae needs to make a successful Will Save (DC = 10 + 1/2 the PC's level + the PC's Charisma modifier) to avoid draining life.

In Order of the Stick, negative plane protection potions are a big overhead item for the leader of Team Nale who cohabitates with a succubus.

Let's keep posts here to questions, please.


James Jacobs wrote:
Hythlodeus wrote:

Today I spent the whole day looking through all my PF books and the internet to find a physical description of Mhar. So far, no luck. Does one exist? I know that stats don't exist, but that's a problem for another day. My first instinct would be 'Tentacles!, Lots of them!', but then again, I realize few Great Old Ones (Or Elder Ones or Outer Gods..or whatever part of the whole Yog-Sothothery they were) actually had them. And most of those who had, were mostly closely associated with water, the sea etc.

And that's something that isn't true with Mhar.
So, how would you describe his physical form?

I did this back in Carrion Crown, in fact.

Pathfinder #46, page 66 wrote:
Mhar's shape is unknown, for it technically has yet to enter existence. In images created by its cult, the Great Old One is generally depicted as a volcano-shaped leviathan, its caldera surrounded by immense molten fangs and its slopes bearing forests of crystaline limbs."

ah, Carrion Crown! Thank you, that was very helpful


James Jacobs wrote:


1) Haven't used many books outside of Pathfinder resources lately for most of my work recently. For personal enjoyment, though, I've been reading up on sleep paralysis...

Interesting. Have you ever experienced an episode? I've had several over the course of my life ranging from the terrifying to the strange. Have you seen The Nightmare? I felt it focused a bit too much on the paranormal and not the scientific aspects of sleep paralysis but I stiff found it to be fairly entertaining if for no other reason than to hear the experiences of others.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Triphoppenskip wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:


1) Haven't used many books outside of Pathfinder resources lately for most of my work recently. For personal enjoyment, though, I've been reading up on sleep paralysis...
Interesting. Have you ever experienced an episode? I've had several over the course of my life ranging from the terrifying to the strange. Have you seen The Nightmare? I felt it focused a bit too much on the paranormal and not the scientific aspects of sleep paralysis but I stiff found it to be fairly entertaining if for no other reason than to hear the experiences of others.

I have not experienced an actual episode of sleep paralysis in the incarnation of a weight on my chest and shadowy figures looming and an inability to move, but I have experienced some pretty intense and overwhelming nightmares that I would categorize as one tier in intensity down from full-on sleep paralysis.

I have indeed seen "The Nightmare." Fascinating movie.


various undead questions
1 can you make a new zombie/skeleton from the remains of a defeated zombie/skeleton?
2 can you make a ghost(or other incorperal undead) and still make a zombie or other unintelligent undead of the corpse?
3 can you make a ghost(or other incorperal undead) and still make a ghoul or other intellgent undead? if not will the ghost be pulled in to the body to provide the intelligents for the body or will it just not work?
4 how much do you think people in inner sea region would pay to see a pickle punk choir/singing group?


James Jacobs wrote:
Paladin of Baha-who? wrote:
So what happens to a werewolf on the moon, or on a planet with no moons, or with multiple moons?

Good question! One I've often wondered about myself.

I'd say that with no moon, a werewolf doesn't change involuntarily and wouldn't be native to that world. This goes for a moon itself.

For multiple moons, I'd say that each individual werewolf would be attuned to one specific moon.

What do you think would happen if a PC who was a werewolf on Golarion, attuned to Golarion's moon, teleported to it, such as in the module The Moonscar? I mean, obviously the absolute right answer is "whatever works best for the story the GM and the player want to tell together", but how would you feel inclined to decide it? The module is level 16 so a werewolf PC wouldn't be overpowered.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

wabbitking wrote:

various undead questions

1 can you make a new zombie/skeleton from the remains of a defeated zombie/skeleton?
2 can you make a ghost(or other incorperal undead) and still make a zombie or other unintelligent undead of the corpse?
3 can you make a ghost(or other incorperal undead) and still make a ghoul or other intellgent undead? if not will the ghost be pulled in to the body to provide the intelligents for the body or will it just not work?
4 how much do you think people in inner sea region would pay to see a pickle punk choir/singing group?

1) Nope.

2) Yes.

3) Nope.

4) Depends 100% on the person in question. It'd range from 0 gp to everything they own.

Paizo Employee Creative Director

Paladin of Baha-who? wrote:
James Jacobs wrote:
Paladin of Baha-who? wrote:
So what happens to a werewolf on the moon, or on a planet with no moons, or with multiple moons?

Good question! One I've often wondered about myself.

I'd say that with no moon, a werewolf doesn't change involuntarily and wouldn't be native to that world. This goes for a moon itself.

For multiple moons, I'd say that each individual werewolf would be attuned to one specific moon.

What do you think would happen if a PC who was a werewolf on Golarion, attuned to Golarion's moon, teleported to it, such as in the module The Moonscar? I mean, obviously the absolute right answer is "whatever works best for the story the GM and the player want to tell together", but how would you feel inclined to decide it? The module is level 16 so a werewolf PC wouldn't be overpowered.

Whatever works best for the story and the GM and the player want to tell together. I can't answer without knowing all three of those variables—I know the story (the adventure) and myself (the GM) but not the hypothetical player. My preference frankly would be to never have a player character lycanthrope, since I feel like lycanthropes make better villains than PCs. If a PC wants to change into an animal, the game gives plenty of options for that already—AKA the player should play a druid.


If a pc casts alter self and changes into a strix. Do they get a fly speed?


James Jacobs wrote:
Wrath wrote:

If you had a chance to bring something from Golarion that was unique to that planet as an artefact in your house (display cabinet kind of thing), what would you choose? A reason for why you'd choose this would be cool too.

Appologies for the poor question structure.

Assuming said artifact would work as magic, then no contest—a ring of three wishes.

What would you use those wishes for?

59,451 to 59,500 of 83,732 << first < prev | 1185 | 1186 | 1187 | 1188 | 1189 | 1190 | 1191 | 1192 | 1193 | 1194 | 1195 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Gamer Life / Off-Topic Discussions / >>Ask *James Jacobs* ALL your Questions Here!<< All Messageboards