GM Bret’s PbP Gameday XI 3-98 Expedition Into Pallid Peril Tier 3-4 (Inactive)

Game Master BretI

Maps and artwork
Macro spreadsheet
32 challenge points.


1 to 50 of 419 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>

The Festering Blot | Tarnbreaker’s Trail

This is the gameplay thread for PbP Gameday XI 3-99 Expedition Into Pallid Peril
Tier 3-4.

Please dot and delete.


The Festering Blot | Tarnbreaker’s Trail

Your next mission will be as part of a large-scale endeavor to explore a set of unearthed ruins in a volcanic region of the Five Kings mountains. You are to travel to the town of Olfden, which has the nearest Pathfinder Lodge to the site.

As you come into town, you notice it is quite crowded. There are already a large number of Pathfinder agents there. There are also quite a few merchants, tradesmen, and others here with their supplies.

At the lodge you are told that tomorrow everyone will head to the base camp. The main briefing will be at that camp.

Some of the merchants are already plying their trade offering such things as weapons, ammunition and alchemical remedies. “We have the best tasting anti-toxins on all of Golarian! Get them here!” shouts a halfling youngster, directing people to his family’s wagon.

Feel free to introduce yourselves to each other. Those of you who have played scenarios #2-19: Enter the Pallid Peak or #3-10: Delve the Pallid Depths on these characters can share their knowledge of the Pallid Peak and the adventures they've had.

The scenario has not started yet, so you can still purchase anything under the normal restrictions given in the guide.

Vigilant Seal

NG Male Ancient Elf Investigator 4 (Empiricism) | HP 38/38 | AC 20, F+6, R +10, W +10 (+1 vs. traps) | Perc +10 (+1 traps, +2 Init) | Speed 30 | low-light vision | Exploration: Investigate & Scout | Hero Points 1/3 | Active Conditions: none | ◆◇↺

A tall, slender elf dressed in studded leather armor, sturdy boots, and a cloak stands beside a booth where a dwarven merchant is displaying weapons for sale. The elf's garb is all dyed a woodsy palette of browns and greens, and shows signs of long use outdoors but also careful maintenance. His hood is pulled down, revealing that his black hair is cut unusually short for one of his kind.

"Those will serve you well, Xathel," the dwarf says proudly as the elf hands over a few coins for a quiver of arrows. "You'll be going back to the Peak, then?"

"Aye, Durnig," the elf replies readily, but with little emotion. "For the third time. This expedition is shaping up to be a much bigger operation than the first two." He slips the quiver inside his cloak, where it promptly seems to disappear. "I've been brushing up on my Dwarven since then," he adds in that language. "It's been a couple of decades since I've had need to use it this constantly."

The dwarf grins. "Well, you still speak it well, for an elf with such a tiny sound box," he replies, lightly thumping his own broad chest.

Xathel takes his leave with a traditional Dwarven farewell, and heads towards the lodge. His piercing emerald eyes scan the crowd with interest as he studies the other Pathfinders gathered here.

Buying 20 more arrows, and slipping them into his sleeves of storage.


VC Australia - WA

House GM test send - please ignore.

Vigilant Seal

Mostly human precision ranger 5 | AC 23 | HP 63/63 | P +11 F +10 R +13 W +11 | Def. Expl.: Seek | | ◆ | ◇ ◈ | ↺ |

Caitlin peruses the wares of the vendors at all the market stalls. The tallish, athletic blond human with twin braids moves gracefully. She is dressed in well-treated leathers and has an elven-made composite longbow on her back.

"I'll take some arrows too. It's my third time in there as well. Haunts, undead dwarves and ancient religious sites. Met some elementally-touched dwarves too. You?" she says to the elf next to her. In elven, she adds "It's a pleasure to meet you. I'm Cate." back in Taldane "I'm glad you speak dwarven! I've bought some Silversheen and a feather token just in case."

Vigilant Seal

NG Male Ancient Elf Investigator 4 (Empiricism) | HP 38/38 | AC 20, F+6, R +10, W +10 (+1 vs. traps) | Perc +10 (+1 traps, +2 Init) | Speed 30 | low-light vision | Exploration: Investigate & Scout | Hero Points 1/3 | Active Conditions: none | ◆◇↺

"I know the group of dwarves you mean," Xathel replies, nodding. "There were also some mephits and slimes, both adapted to living within the volcano. And we fought duergar both times. Given that the peak being named after their patron, I suppose we should expect to meet more," he says with obvious distaste.


VC Australia - WA

A quiet chime sounds through the house to indicate the game has now begun and GMs may commence play.

Vigilant Seal

Female Gnome (Sensate) Summoner (Construct)-4 | 64hp | AC:18 | Prec:8 | F:11 R:8 W:8 | HeroP:0/3 | Summoner 4

A vibrant gnome with rainbow-colored hair approaches. While she is wearing a red dress it is barely visible under the belts and bandoleers that appear completely covered with repair tools.

"Hello and greetings. I am Alseil Geokeeper, I'll be summoning partner Goldirox later. I'll admit I've not actually been in the peak before, though I have heard of it."


The Festering Blot | Tarnbreaker’s Trail

Spoiler:

Alseil Geodekeeper's Diplomacy (T): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24
Caitlin Berrigan's Diplomacy (E): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22
Looni Burni's Diplomacy (T): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (18) + 10 = 28
Chance Sarava's Diplomacy (E): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26
Xathel's Society (E): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (5) + 12 = 17
Scratch Steeltoe's Pathfinder Society (T): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21

At the looming foot of Droskar’s Crag, a dormant volcano, the Pathfinder Society’s base camp bustles with activity. Wagons arrive with new goods as merchants set up shop. A steady stream of Pathfinders trickles into the camp, and joyful greetings fill the air, together with whispered rumors about the mission ahead. Venture-Captain Luna Aldred has called everyone here for a major expedition, and if the rumors are to be believed, the secret road to a legendary lost city awaits!

Alseil, Caitlin, Looni, Chance, Scratch all know something more.:

Droskar’s Crag, also known as the Pallid Peak, is a dormant volcano. It erupted nearly 800 years ago in a cataclysm known as the Rending, which toppled the great dwarven empire of Tar Khardurrm. Expeditions into the Pallid Peak have uncovered a wide range of dangers, from vermin to duergars to fiends. Expeditions should be well-stocked and prepared to deal with a variety of different threats.


The Festering Blot | Tarnbreaker’s Trail

Purchases during the adventure

You can make purchases at the start of the adventure or when you return to the base camp.

You can purchase common equipment from the Pathfinder Core Rulebook of up to your level.

In addition to equipment, you can purchase spellcasting services to remove negative conditions.

This information is also on Slide 7.

Vigilant Seal

CN M Goblin (charhide) Oracle 4 | HP 46 | AC 19 | F +10 R +10 W +7 | Perc +5, Darkvision 60 ft | Speed 25 ft | Focus 2/2 | Spells 1st: 3/3 2nd: 3/3| Hero Points: 1 | Active Conditions: None

"Looni Burni, burning bright,
set the mountain cave alight!
Underground or on our head,
soon enough we all be dead!"

A mud-caked goblin sing-songs tunelessly to himself as he follows after the longshanks. His ears perk up as the two discuss their previous expeditions, though they rise even higher at the mention of mephits. "Mephits! Tiny burny things, yes! So much lava! Good place, good to be back."

No purchases at this time.

Vigilant Seal

Female Gnome (Sensate) Summoner (Construct)-4 | 64hp | AC:18 | Prec:8 | F:11 R:8 W:8 | HeroP:0/3 | Summoner 4

"Hmm, we're going into a cave, does everyone have a light source? Also, while I'm really bad with it, does anyone have climbing gear?"

Alseil smiles. "I can do basic repairs on gear fairly well, but if you are going to need my to repair specialized gear, I'll need blueprints."

Alseil will pick up the 'free' wayfinder I haven't actually put on my sheet yet.

Vigilant Seal

NG Male Ancient Elf Investigator 4 (Empiricism) | HP 38/38 | AC 20, F+6, R +10, W +10 (+1 vs. traps) | Perc +10 (+1 traps, +2 Init) | Speed 30 | low-light vision | Exploration: Investigate & Scout | Hero Points 1/3 | Active Conditions: none | ◆◇↺

Xathel touches a finger to the adamant-decorated wayfinder hanging around his neck in answer to the question about light sources. "I have a climbing kit, though I confess I'm not as skilled using it as I am with my other tools. I'm a fair hand at repairs myself, and as an archaeologist, have learned a good deal about locks and traps and how to bypass them. I'm also carrying healer's tools and some basic camping gear, though my tent only has space for one. If any of you would be encumbered by carrying survival gear, I have some room to spare in my extradimensional space, as long as none of the individual items is too bulky," he offers, tugging at one of his sleeves.

Envoy's Alliance

Male Catfolk Swashbuckler 3 HP 41 AC 20 F+8 R+11 W+6 Init last Perc +6 Stealth +9 Speed 30' Hero Points 0 Lacking panache Conditions

As Chance gets into town, the catfolk smiles at the other people in town, playing with a coin in his hand as he often do. His light brown fur has patches of white, his light armor and clothing a mix of browns and green. Like many people there, he is armed, a rapier in his scabbard and carries a bow as well as a couple of various mixtures. He goes to some pathfinder he met before, trying to also leave a good impression on anyone he meets, sharing his cheerful attitude. That’s the first time he came to this part of the world, wondering what it had to offer, and also wondering what he was wondering there.

As he notice some merchants, he wonders a bit looking at their wares. Especially as he remembers about the place.

As he notices Caitlin, he goes toward her “Hello, Caitlin, glad to meet you, how have you been?” He immediatly proceeds to introduce himself to anyone near her, bowing a little “Pleased to meet, you. People call me Chance.

I’ve heard people talk about this place and what one could expect, which is vermin, duergars and fiends. I may need more stuff. Holy water is effective on fiends, isn’t it?

As Alseil mentions it, he replies “Climbing Kit? That might make sense in the mountain. Are we going to climb that volcano?

Once he gets an answers, as something a merchant sells catches his eyes, he stops and buy something, bargaining with the merchant a bit.

As Xathel mentions sleeping outside, he asks “Do you think we’ll need to sleep outside and not in a good bed in a tavern?” Chance seems clearly unhappy at the idea.


Selling thieves’ tools and the replacement picks for 1.65 gp
Buying Infiltrator Thieves’ Tools and picks for 53 gp
Updated the character sheet and macro sheet.
Wondering if buying an extreme climbing kit might be worth it.
Are APG items out of the question now? Gecko potion seems it could be useful.

Vigilant Seal

Mostly human precision ranger 5 | AC 23 | HP 63/63 | P +11 F +10 R +13 W +11 | Def. Expl.: Seek | | ◆ | ◇ ◈ | ↺ |

"I have a Wayfinder too. Nice to see you Chance! I've come a long way from the completely green agent you met! I've been into this peak twice before and I helped the Lodge in Almas out with a few difficulties. I've done some politics up in the River Kingdoms and been tomb delving in Osirion. Quite the mix. How about you? Holy Water is a good call. Silversheen as well." Caitlin seems pleased to see someone she has been with before.

Vigilant Seal

NG Male Ancient Elf Investigator 4 (Empiricism) | HP 38/38 | AC 20, F+6, R +10, W +10 (+1 vs. traps) | Perc +10 (+1 traps, +2 Init) | Speed 30 | low-light vision | Exploration: Investigate & Scout | Hero Points 1/3 | Active Conditions: none | ◆◇↺

When Chance asks about camping, Xathel points out, "This is the base camp. Any taverns that we might find on--or in--the mountain will have been out of business far longer than any of us have been alive, even me."

The discussion of holy water and silversheen prompts the elf to turn aside to buy some from one of the merchants they are passing.

Spend 9 gp for 1 holy water, 1 silversheen.

Vigilant Seal

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Dwarven Male Gunslinger Sniper 6 HP: 76/76 | AC: 24 | F: +13 R: +14 W: +13 | Perc: +13 | Hero Point: 1 | Speed: 25 ft. | Exploration Mode: Stealth +14 | Active Conditions:

"I don't care what yer sayin' cuz I ain't listenin' anywho! Anyone that tries chargin' that much for ale THAT BAD is a dirty rotten CHEAT!" A grizzled old Dwarf flips the lad the bird and stomps off, obviously miffed about the quality of the goods and service he'd just experienced.

He hustles towards the group and looks them up and down "So most of ya's been up that hot rock and inside eh?" He continues looking them over, like he's judging a competition. "Name's Scratch, of Clan Steeltoe. Yes, THE infamous Steeltoe clan, hold yer applause, most of it's rumor, and some of it is true, the good stuff anyhow..." He grins, showing of a mostly complete set of yellow teeth.

Its not hard to see Scratch is a man that lives on the fringes, in the wilds, and loves his GUNS! An exquisite long rifle is slung over one shoulder and an equally fine looking scattergun over the opposite. Numerous flasks of explosive liquid hang off his homemade belt.

"Yer right about the dangers hidden away up in that old 'cano. Can't be too prepared, and ya better be ready to sleep with a rock as a pillow and a dead bear as a blanket. Only the toughest survive.. and the ones with the quickest trigger." Almost on cue he offers up a snack to anyone that's interested: meat jerky.

If you try it:

Survival: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15
A fair batch, could be cured a bit longer but the hardwood smoke flavor comes through. A tad stringy. A red meat of some sort.

I don't know of anything too specific Scratch should pick up.

Scratch is going to cash in the following boon for this scenario: (0/1) Fruid Basket (General): As thanks for helping to uncover the source of the shipping disruptions, Selu has sent some fruit. Check this box when setting out on an adventure to receive a piece of specially treated baobab fruit. During that adventure, you or another character can use an interact action to consume the fruit, which functions as a lesser elixir of life (restoring 3d6+6 hit points and providing a +1 bonus against diseases and poisons for 10 minutes). If you do not consume the fruit during that adventure, it spoils.


The Festering Blot | Tarnbreaker’s Trail
“Chance” Sarava wrote:
Are APG items out of the question now? Gecko potion seems it could be useful.

Sorry, since the adventure has started you are limited to common CRB items.

There are plenty of merchants eager to sell you items. Unfortunately you find their selection is somewhat limited. Chance has no luck finding a merchant with a Geeko potion in stock. “Sorry, although we have such things in our main warehouse I only have a limited selection with me here today.

Note: The following is merchant NPCs talking, not GM advice…

The merchants are very helpful, encouraging you to buy their stock.

As Chance is looking at the better climbing kits, the merchant says “Can never be too careful in a cave! No telling when you might have to crawl into a lava tube or up a shaft! Would you be interested in some extra rope?

A different merchant says “Holy Water is excellent for fighting fiends or undead! I have the very best stock of it here!

It doesn’t take long for all of you to figure out that if the merchant has it for sale, they will try to come up with some sort of reason why it is worth buying. Some of you notice how many of the merchants claim to have the very best of items.

Vigilant Seal

Dwarven Male Gunslinger Sniper 6 HP: 76/76 | AC: 24 | F: +13 R: +14 W: +13 | Perc: +13 | Hero Point: 1 | Speed: 25 ft. | Exploration Mode: Stealth +14 | Active Conditions:

"You say you got some space for some extra ropes up your sleeves Xathel? I left my last pile of rope behind when it kept getting tangled around my scattergun."

If I remember correctly, Scratch was on the brink of being encumbered, and I think the rope/climbing kit was the sacrifice to keep under the weight. If we need more rope and such I'm happy to buy it if someone else has the capacity to carry it.

Scratch moves through the merchants and browses their wares, often scoffing at their claims "Holy water does good, but a steel slug 'tween the eyes usually does better. You should see what this thing can do to something with soft flesh at even 200 yards!" He pulls an overripe banana from his fruit basket and squeezes it into oblivion. Then eats it. "Aunt Marcie didn't teach no Steeltoe to waste grub!"

Vigilant Seal

NG Male Ancient Elf Investigator 4 (Empiricism) | HP 38/38 | AC 20, F+6, R +10, W +10 (+1 vs. traps) | Perc +10 (+1 traps, +2 Init) | Speed 30 | low-light vision | Exploration: Investigate & Scout | Hero Points 1/3 | Active Conditions: none | ◆◇↺

Xathel nods to the dwarf. "I only need one of the two sleeves for my own gear at the moment. I bought this garment after participating in the Balgirdtrek, so that I wouldn't have to choose between preparedness and speed in my future travels."

I love this item so much! All three of my characters who are high enough level have bought one--even my super-strong champion, just so he won't completely over-encumber his steed every time he rides it.


VC Australia - WA

Venture-Captain Luna Aldred bangs on her shield to gain the attention of the gathered crowd. As the noise dies down, she points to a piece of stretched canvas with a whittled stick. “When I was first told about the discovery of a ruined outpost under this mountain, I assigned a few agents to explore it.”

On the canvas, charcoal and chalk outline a sprawling underground complex. The map already lists names, discoveries, and potential hazards. However, three highlighted routes lead past the end of the explored segments. Each route is labelled with a name and shaded with a distinctive color: yellow for the Labyrinth, blue for the Sunken Halls, and white for Unsealed Way.

“Their preliminary explorations found extensive ruins, as well as signs that this path will lead us to a find that’s worthy of the Pathfinder Chronicles: the lost city of Raseri Kanton, which has been missing for almost a thousand years! This expedition warrants a large team. I reckon this group is enough, though I won’t turn away any stragglers.” Venture-Captain Aldred chuckles.

Her tone darkens as she continues, “This expedition was set to take months. However, the Aspis Consortium has heard of our plans, and they’ll surely be dispatching their own teams. We need to act quickly before those destructive louts claim the ruins. Move quickly, but not recklessly. Report back regularly. And for all that Aroden left us, don’t die.

“You know what to do. Explore. Report. Cooperate.”

Table GMs, begin Act 1.


The Festering Blot | Tarnbreaker’s Trail

A Pathfinder Society agent makes a note of everyone present and the locations they intend to explore before running through a memorized set of instructions.

Keep in mind that this is a coordinated expedition. If anything strange happens, report it back. If you fully explore an area, report back. If you find additional passageways, report it back. If Venture-Captain Aldred gives you instructions or you receive a courier to change locations, follow them immediately. If you ever find yourself in over your heads, retreat and rest. If you’re not sure what to do... I guess you should report that back as well.

Best of luck down there.

Your group follows the directions you were given. They lead you through corridors that twist unexpectedly. Everburning torches light the area, hanging in iron chandeliers from the ceiling and providing normal light throughout the area. The ceilings are all 15 feet high. The walls are made from stone, and doors are reinforced wood.

Spoiler:

Caitlin Berrigan's Religion (T): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20
Looni Burni's Religion (T): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18
Xathel's Religion (T): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28

Caitlin Berrigan's Society (T): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19
Xathel's Society (E): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (16) + 12 = 28
Chance Sarava's Society (T): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10

Caitlin Berrigan's Religion (T): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18
Looni Burni's Religion (T): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8
Scratch Steeltoe's Religion (T): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26
Xathel's Religion (T): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24

The slab that seals this hallway bears the marking of a gravestone. Three icons are carved into it, as well as an inscription and foot-wide square that glow faintly with magic.

No one should be surprised that the inscription is in dwarven.

Dwarven inscription, you have people that know the language:
It is not how it ends, but how it starts

Crafting (DC17), inspecting the icons:
The three icons in the illuminated square are worn from repeatedly being touched.

The first of the three icons portrays a dwarven hammer.

Caitlin, Looni, Scratch Steeltoe, Xathel:
It is the sacred symbol of the god Torag.

The second icon shows an underground city.

Caitlin, Xathel:
It is the city of Tar Khadurrm.

The third icon shows a dwarf cutting off his beard.

Scratch, Xathel:
This would be part of the traditional mourning ritual called thundran.

What would you like to do?

I have placed your avatars on Slide 11. The brown thing blocking the passage is the slab of stone.

Vigilant Seal

1 person marked this as a favorite.
NG Male Ancient Elf Investigator 4 (Empiricism) | HP 38/38 | AC 20, F+6, R +10, W +10 (+1 vs. traps) | Perc +10 (+1 traps, +2 Init) | Speed 30 | low-light vision | Exploration: Investigate & Scout | Hero Points 1/3 | Active Conditions: none | ◆◇↺

Crafting: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (12) + 10 = 22

Xathel translates the dwarven inscription, and explains the significance of the three icons to the other Pathfinders. "They appear to all be worn from repeated touching, and the inscription seems to suggest the order of doing so is important. Torag, Tar Khadurrm, thundran...what order did they intend...?"

He strokes his chin thoughtfully, then mostly to himself, murmurs, "'Not how it ends'...ah, they appear to be presented in alphabetical order by last letter. So by first letters, 'how it starts,' that would be Tar Khadurrm, thundran, Torag. Which I suppose also makes sense if you think of the icons as life, then death, then afterlife...I suspect this would all be more obvious to another dwarf." He looks to his companions, particularly Steeltoe. "Shall I try that sequence, after everyone else moves back a safe distance? Or do we have any other interpretations?"

Vigilant Seal

Mostly human precision ranger 5 | AC 23 | HP 63/63 | P +11 F +10 R +13 W +11 | Def. Expl.: Seek | | ◆ | ◇ ◈ | ↺ |

"I agree." Caitlin steps back and draws her bow. She nocks an arrow just in case.

Vigilant Seal

Female Gnome (Sensate) Summoner (Construct)-4 | 64hp | AC:18 | Prec:8 | F:11 R:8 W:8 | HeroP:0/3 | Summoner 4

Crafting: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10

"Should I summon Goldirox now? Some groups do not like having an Eidolon around when they are not in combat, some groups don't mind.

Vigilant Seal

NG Male Ancient Elf Investigator 4 (Empiricism) | HP 38/38 | AC 20, F+6, R +10, W +10 (+1 vs. traps) | Perc +10 (+1 traps, +2 Init) | Speed 30 | low-light vision | Exploration: Investigate & Scout | Hero Points 1/3 | Active Conditions: none | ◆◇↺

"I'm content leaving that to your judgment, Alseil, though I would like to be introduced before we go much farther, so I'll know them for an ally in the heat of battle," Xathel replies. "Does Goldirox have skills that would be useful at other times? If so, we may want them."

Act Together allows your summoner and eidolon to do separate exploration activities, so if the eidolon can contribute that way, Xathel and I are all for having them along now!


The Festering Blot | Tarnbreaker’s Trail

I will need an avatar for Goldirox. You could put it in the space below the hero points for Alseil and wherever you want in marching order. Slides 3 & 4

Move yourselves to where you want to be on Slide 11. Initial placement was based on slide 4.

Vigilant Seal

| 64hp | AC:20 | Prec:8 | F:11 R:8 W:8 | HeroP:1/3 |

Alseil nods, and with a series of sharp gestures a couple of mystic words, a stone golem appears in a bust of magical gear-like images.

Unlike most stone golems, however, which start their 'lives' as statues, this stone golem looks like it started out as a wall that decided to get up and move around.

"Hello..Alseil..time to..work?"

Vigilant Seal

Female Gnome (Sensate) Summoner (Construct)-4 | 64hp | AC:18 | Prec:8 | F:11 R:8 W:8 | HeroP:0/3 | Summoner 4
GM Bret wrote:

I will need an avatar for Goldirox. You could put it in the space below the hero points for Alseil and wherever you want in marching order. Slides 3 & 4

Move yourselves to where you want to be on Slide 11. Initial placement was based on slide 4.

I'm fine where we are. I got the tokens in this morning.


The Festering Blot | Tarnbreaker’s Trail

I thought the other token was Looni Burni. Fixed that and put Goldirox on slide 3.
Since Looni wasn’t in the marching order, I just dropped them in.

Envoy's Alliance

Male Catfolk Swashbuckler 3 HP 41 AC 20 F+8 R+11 W+6 Init last Perc +6 Stealth +9 Speed 30' Hero Points 0 Lacking panache Conditions

Buying a backpack and bedroll for Chance. 2 Holy water flasks. Silversheen. Some rations too.
0.1+0.02+2*3+6+0.4=12.52 gp

The catfolk wonders aloud “Lost city of Raseri Kanton? That sounds like something nice to find.” He then tries to remember anything about that.

To Alseil, the catfolk replies “I haven’t seen much eidolon. What does yours looks like? Probably simpler to show it.” After the summoning, he comments “They fit this place quite nicely.

Xathel, if you want me to push those button, that’s fine. One of the reason I’m called Chance is that I managed to survive all those traps I’ve failed to notice.” The catfolk smiles a bit at his luck and his failure at spotting traps despite his training.
He looks at the markings. “Is anyone knows something useful about Tar Khadurrm? If not I guess Xathiel thinking seems good enough.

Moved Sarava next to the door, move him back if you prefer to someone else wants to push the button.


The Festering Blot | Tarnbreaker’s Trail

Right now all Chance knows of Raseri Kanton is what the VC told everyone. The name sounds dwarven, but he has never heard of that city before.

The Recall Knowledge check has already been done for everyone in the group with an appropriate knowledge.

Chance stands near the slab, ready to push buttons!

The GM is mildly surprised he hasn’t already pushed them.


The Festering Blot | Tarnbreaker’s Trail

This is a special, which means we need to keep things going. No one has objected, moving forward with Chance pressing the icons.

Spoiler:
Caitlin Berrigan's Perception (E): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9

Chance touches the door and a wave of energy is released. It affects Chance, Xathel and Goldirox.

Need a DC 20 Will save or be Enfeebled 1

Then the door swings open, showing you the hallway beyond.

Inscriptions decorate the walls with scattered images, Dwarven script, and other symbols. The images and runes depict relics of dwarven life in centuries past.

Vigilant Seal

Mostly human precision ranger 5 | AC 23 | HP 63/63 | P +11 F +10 R +13 W +11 | Def. Expl.: Seek | | ◆ | ◇ ◈ | ↺ |

"Are we ok? Let's move through and be on our guard."

Vigilant Seal

NG Male Ancient Elf Investigator 4 (Empiricism) | HP 38/38 | AC 20, F+6, R +10, W +10 (+1 vs. traps) | Perc +10 (+1 traps, +2 Init) | Speed 30 | low-light vision | Exploration: Investigate & Scout | Hero Points 1/3 | Active Conditions: none | ◆◇↺

Will vs. trap: 1d20 + 10 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 10 + 1 = 27

"Hmm, obnoxious little trap," Xathel murmurs, seemingly unaffected. He moves forward quietly, resuming his scouting duties.

Vigilant Seal

Dwarven Male Gunslinger Sniper 6 HP: 76/76 | AC: 24 | F: +13 R: +14 W: +13 | Perc: +13 | Hero Point: 1 | Speed: 25 ft. | Exploration Mode: Stealth +14 | Active Conditions:

Sorry, a very busy last 24hrs. Also, as a player, I'm not a puzzle person, so by default, neither is Scratch.

Scratch whispers words of a Dwarven prayer at the sight of the thundran ritual "You've got a keener mind than I do Xathel. Too many years of frugal livin' heh!" Or cheap alcohol.

"Tar Khadurrm? Or Raseri Kanton? Are we exploring more than one city under this hot rock?" Scratch watches the pulse of energy sapping magic ring out "Was the order wrong or maybe I should have done the buttons instead. The Steeltoe Clan have been tomb guardians for centuries, well, some of us at least. Then that a&@$+#!* lich blew up the lake and well, that's that."

"I'd have to put the order at either Torag, Tar Khadurrm, thundran: alphabetical by last letter, OR Torag the creator first, thundran: death, and Tar Khadurrm: a tomb? Or maybe we'll find out Tar Khadurrm isn't a tomb but the city of the living, making Torag, Tar Khadurrm, thundran work out." He mumbles a bit unsure of himself "If it comes up again I'll try Torag, Tar Khadurrm, thundran and see if that flies true."

---

As they move down the hall Scratch points out anything that seems important that he recognizes from the Dwarven scripts and imagery. He moves quietly when at all possible, drifting along at the back of the group, eyes scanning for trouble, hands always near one of his firearms.


The Festering Blot | Tarnbreaker’s Trail

Spoiler:

Alseil Geodekeeper's Initiative Using Detect Magic (Arcana): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24
Caitlin Berrigan's Initiative Using Search: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10
Looni Burni's Initiative Using Avoid Notice (Stealth): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13
Scratch Steeltoe's Initiative Using Avoid Notice (Stealth): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (11) + 12 = 23
Xathel's Initiative Using Investigate and Scout, Incredible initiative: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (16) + 12 = 28
Chance Sarava's Initiative Using Avoid Notice, After You (acts last): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (17) + 9 = 26

Still need will saves from Chance and Goldirox.
Will move it forward once I have those.

Vigilant Seal

NG Male Ancient Elf Investigator 4 (Empiricism) | HP 38/38 | AC 20, F+6, R +10, W +10 (+1 vs. traps) | Perc +10 (+1 traps, +2 Init) | Speed 30 | low-light vision | Exploration: Investigate & Scout | Hero Points 1/3 | Active Conditions: none | ◆◇↺

FWIW, Xathel will generally have his bow in hand while scouting. He has been to the Peak before, so knows to be ready for trouble.


The Festering Blot | Tarnbreaker’s Trail

With part of the briefing being “If you ever find yourself in over your heads, retreat and rest.” I would expect everyone without Quick Draw to have a weapon in hand.

Envoy's Alliance

Male Catfolk Swashbuckler 3 HP 41 AC 20 F+8 R+11 W+6 Init last Perc +6 Stealth +9 Speed 30' Hero Points 0 Lacking panache Conditions

DC 20 Will save or be Enfeebled 1: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9
That’s a pretty bad roll and a critical failure, let’s use one of my Sarava’s hero point .
DC 20 Will save or be Enfeebled 1, reroll: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23

I was expecting lava or something. That’s almost a relief.

Usually Chance does not move with a weapon in hand, it’s too aggressive if he meets someone that is not looking for a fight. That’s also because he has a natural attack.
I’m also thinking right now that if he needs his shortbow, it will take two of his actions.
I was not in the impression that the place was only full of aggressive monsters, so let’s rebound on that.

Chance looks at his companions and asks “I can’t help but notice you all have weapons drawn. Caitlin, you’ve been there before, do you expect only trouble down there? If we meet some Aspis agents and they see us with weapon drawn, they’ll probably attack on the spot, which I can’t really blame them in that case.

Vigilant Seal

Dwarven Male Gunslinger Sniper 6 HP: 76/76 | AC: 24 | F: +13 R: +14 W: +13 | Perc: +13 | Hero Point: 1 | Speed: 25 ft. | Exploration Mode: Stealth +14 | Active Conditions:

Scratch gives the 'shhh' motion with his finger to Chance, then winks and follows that up with a rifle drawing action and finger guns. I thought all kitty cats were quiet n sneaky-like? Someone musta spiked his milk, lucky! He quickly makes a mental note to try spiked milk after they get back.

Scratch has this gunslinger ability. If he's going with stealth for his exploration mode he doesn't have his gun drawn. If he's doing something different for exploration then he does have typically his long rifle in hand.

Initial Deed: One Shot, One Kill: ◇ Free Action: Trigger You roll Stealth for initiative.Your first shot is the deadliest. Interact to draw a firearm or crossbow. On your first turn, your first Strike with that weapon deals an additional 1d6 precision damage. This precision damage increases to 2d6 at 9th level and 3d6 at 15th level.

Vigilant Seal

Female Gnome (Sensate) Summoner (Construct)-4 | 64hp | AC:18 | Prec:8 | F:11 R:8 W:8 | HeroP:0/3 | Summoner 4

Alseil's Will Save: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12
Goldirox's Will Save: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (10) + 9 = 19
Since as a Summoner I have to take the worst of the two rolls, there isn't a point in Hero Pointing this roll. Sorry for the delay, I have felt like crap today.

Vigilant Seal

Mostly human precision ranger 5 | AC 23 | HP 63/63 | P +11 F +10 R +13 W +11 | Def. Expl.: Seek | | ◆ | ◇ ◈ | ↺ |

"It has been worthwhile being armed both times I've been here. Duergar slavers are quicker than you'd expect. There are big bats that swoop down and who knows what else." Caitlin whispers to Chance.


The Festering Blot | Tarnbreaker’s Trail

Only Goldirox was in the area of effect so it should only be a single Will save.

Xathel and Chance manage to shake off the effects of the door, but Alseil feels the pain as Goldirox gets hit by the energy wave.

Xathel and Scratch Steeltoe move forward into the hall with the inscriptions.

The images include portraits of loved ones, carvings of the destroyed cities, and small remembrances of the life left behind in the aftermath of the volcanoes eruption. There are images of the markets bustling with commerce are alongside images of children's favored toys left behind in the crisis. The walls also contain numerous letters to those left behind, often with a pining sorrow for what life was like before the volcano erupted. Those of you able to read the dwarven inscriptions see references to leaving Jernashall and Raseri Kanton behind. It seems that refugees of the two cities moved through this area after their destruction.

As part of the group moves forward, they notice a mist arising in the labyrinth.

Another post coming soon


The Festering Blot | Tarnbreaker’s Trail

We are not in combat, but for reasons we need to do actions by rounds.
Everyone can take one round of actions

The mist completely fills the area. All living creatures are damaged by the rising mist and the mist stays around, concealing the area.
Negative energy damage: 2d6 ⇒ (5, 6) = 11 DC 20 basic Fortitude save

Right now, no one knows what triggered the mist.

Seek (one action) DC 23 Perception:
The dwarves in the inscriptions are crying! Looks like some sort of trap to you!

You need to move adjacent to either side wall, at least even with the end of the opened door.

You can use one action to Point it Out so others know where the trap is.

Disable via Religion (trained) to recite prayers for the dead, or Dwarven Lore to speak the history of Raseri Kanton, or Thievery to plug the holes in the carving.

Vigilant Seal

1 person marked this as a favorite.
CN M Goblin (charhide) Oracle 4 | HP 46 | AC 19 | F +10 R +10 W +7 | Perc +5, Darkvision 60 ft | Speed 25 ft | Focus 2/2 | Spells 1st: 3/3 2nd: 3/3| Hero Points: 1 | Active Conditions: None

Fortitude vs DC 20: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (1) + 10 = 11

Looni inhales the vapors before bending over and coughing furiously. “What did that!?” he shrieks, red eyes darting back and forth across the hallway. “I’ll eat your hat!”

Perception vs DC 23: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25 (Well that was… unexpected. XD)

“Crying dwarves! Evil tears! Show them that we have no fears!” The goblin points furiously at several of the carvings on the walls with one hand while glowing magic surrounds the other.

Lvl 2 Heal: 2d8 ⇒ (5, 6) = 11

Seek [A], Point Out [A], and cast heal on self [A].

Vigilant Seal

Mostly human precision ranger 5 | AC 23 | HP 63/63 | P +11 F +10 R +13 W +11 | Def. Expl.: Seek | | ◆ | ◇ ◈ | ↺ |

"The unquiet dead again!" Caitlin declares.

Fort Save: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9

Hero point I don't feel like taking 22!

Fort Save: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17

She ◆ quickly moves past and

Assuming she can now that Looni pointed it out...

starts to pray in elven for the souls of the departed.

◆ (or ◆◆?) Religion: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21


The Festering Blot | Tarnbreaker’s Trail

Two actions for the methods to deactivate the trap. That is a normal guideline for any trap.

Looni quickly realizes it is the carvings in the wall that are causing the mist. They point it out to everyone so that others might be able to do something about it, and then heal themselves.

Caitlin quickly moves up to the crying carvings and says a prayer to calm those in mourning. It it effective, the tears stop.

The mist slowly fade away.

We can come out of rounds now since the hazard is disabled. Status of everyone:

Alseil and Goldirox Enfeebled 1 DC 20 Fort vs 11 damage
Caitlin 11 damage
Looni 11 damage
Scratch DC 20 Fort vs 11 damage
Xathel DC 20 Fort vs 11 damage
Chance DC 20 Fort vs 11 damage

Hazard success reported

Vigilant Seal

Dwarven Male Gunslinger Sniper 6 HP: 76/76 | AC: 24 | F: +13 R: +14 W: +13 | Perc: +13 | Hero Point: 1 | Speed: 25 ft. | Exploration Mode: Stealth +14 | Active Conditions:

Fort vs DC20: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (9) + 10 = 19

Scratch's eye begin to water from the mists but before he can do much but blink them clear the Elven prayer does the trick.

"Guess these spirits knew their Elven eh?" He grins and wipes his eyes fully clear.

I guess this is as good a time as any to figure out how healing is going to be handled? In combat vs out of combat? Medicine checks or aoe heal spells? Scratch goes with natural medicine checks at a +8/+10

Vigilant Seal

NG Male Ancient Elf Investigator 4 (Empiricism) | HP 38/38 | AC 20, F+6, R +10, W +10 (+1 vs. traps) | Perc +10 (+1 traps, +2 Init) | Speed 30 | low-light vision | Exploration: Investigate & Scout | Hero Points 1/3 | Active Conditions: none | ◆◇↺

Fortitude: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18
Takes 11 damage.

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20
◆ Seek fails. And his +1 for Trap Seeker wouldn't help either roll enough to succeed.

Xathel mutters a pained curse in Elven as the mists envelop the party. When they clear, he says, "Well done, Looni and Caitlin. That could have gone much worse without your quick action." He looks around appraisingly at his companions. "How badly is everyone hurt? I have some skill with medicine," he says, pulling healer's tools from his sleeves.

Xathel has Medicine +8, but no feats to speed up the process.

1 to 50 of 419 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Bret’s PbP Gameday XI 3-99 Expedition Into Pallid Peril Tier 3-4 All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.