Coldwater's Abomination Vaults

Game Master Quentin Coldwater

Maps
Loot sheet

Initiatives:

[dice=Cherry Berry]1d20+14[/dice]
[dice=Fuìn]1d20+14[/dice]
[dice=Kka]1d20+15[/dice]
[dice=Kvit]1d20+10[/dice]
[dice=Lough]1d20+11[/dice]


1 to 50 of 3,416 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Slides Loot sheet

Nothing to see here yet.

Vigilant Seal

CG Changeling (Human) Fogfen Tale-Teller Fighter / Witch / Sterling Dynamo 6 | ◆◇↺ | Explore: Defend | Backpack: Whispering Reeds
Stats:
AC 24 or 26 shield (hard 6) | Fortitude (+12), Reflex (+11), Will (+11 or +12 vs mental; S > CS vs controlled) | Perception (+11) w/ Lowlight | Speed 20
♥️ 80/80 + 24/24 shield | ☘️ ☑☑☑☑☑, ☑☑☑☑☑, ☑☑☑□ | ✋ Spellguard Shield | Class DC 22 | ☀️ □ |⚕ none | ✝️ Moderate Healing Potion (□)

...and I ran away screaming, thinking that my eyes had been pulled out!"

A subsequent uproar of laughter casts the irony unfolding through a strange prism in which the forking disconnect between the storyteller sharing their frightful experience out of a desire for compassion and his audience misapprehending the call for help as some kind of gag reel played for the express purpose of foolery - all this might be apparent upon a more careful or omniscient reading of the situation. But that is not at all what happened. Or happens more frequently than our misunderstood hero would shame to count.

But nobody ever takes Lough seriously, if that hadn't become clear. Well. Unless it came to work - he was, after all, a hell of a logger. His freakish finger nails, ordinarily a source of shame and hidden inside baggy sweaters with long sleeves, useful and powerful within his craft, obviating the need for "regular" tools, allowing him to keep pace at the capital count of two men, even as his pay, quixotically disproportional, would suggest that he is three-quarters of one: All in all an extraction by the consortium that hires him to a high degree!

But a paycheck was a paycheck - and a decent enough, if meager, living. He had no explanation for the nighttime excursions he finds himself upon - too with greater frequency than he let's on otherwise - where equally inexplicable experiences inprobably but inevitably befall him, and which, as a mechanism for psychological processing, he turns to story to seek understanding. Or perhaps acceptance.

Neither of which he has found so far in his small, quiet hometown...


N Male Ratfolk (Longsnout) Wizard 6 | HP 42/42 | AC 23 | F +8 R +14 W +12 | Perc +10 (scent 30ft, imprecise) | Stealth +12| Speed 25ft | Focus 1/1 | Exploration: Search | Hero Points: 3

After the crowd had settled down and dispersed, a small humanoid figure in a long blue overcoat casually walks over to sit nearby. Kvit was an older, wiry ratfolk, used to strange tales and has seen a few things in his time delving into ruins where maybe he shouldn't be..

More curious than concerned for his safety Kvit questions him. He talks in quiet tones to the man, seemingly a little concerned to be associated with a madman if the local folk believe him to be one. "I heard your story. While I have not seen anything like that nearby Otari, I have seen plenty elsewhere. Folks would do well to be careful in strange places. You wouldn't have happened to find any ruins out there in the swamps? I am a collector by trade and am always looking for new places to explore. I'm Kvit, by the way."

Vigilant Seal

1 person marked this as a favorite.
CG Changeling (Human) Fogfen Tale-Teller Fighter / Witch / Sterling Dynamo 6 | ◆◇↺ | Explore: Defend | Backpack: Whispering Reeds
Stats:
AC 24 or 26 shield (hard 6) | Fortitude (+12), Reflex (+11), Will (+11 or +12 vs mental; S > CS vs controlled) | Perception (+11) w/ Lowlight | Speed 20
♥️ 80/80 + 24/24 shield | ☘️ ☑☑☑☑☑, ☑☑☑☑☑, ☑☑☑□ | ✋ Spellguard Shield | Class DC 22 | ☀️ □ |⚕ none | ✝️ Moderate Healing Potion (□)

Lough does a doubletake, shooting a paranoid eye (the silver one) - unsure if this stranger is here to lure him into another prank, thoroughly accustomed to his stories being taken for what they are not: fabrications entirely of his "other" imagination.

"Lough is my name, Kvit" there may be a moment of awkwardness, wherein the custom would be to shake hands, but instead of offering, he keeps his distance yet, clawed fingers hidden behind overlong sleeves, his posture weary, his eyes wary (and still the silver one) "Logger by trade - haven't seen you around town before - I don't have any proof, and I don't have any keepsakes" continuing the defensive line of conversation "But I know they are coming from somewhere. Unnatural beasts of the swamp. I don't know why they choose me" he retracts a little here, unsure if he has misspoke, non-trusting and with an apprehensive glare (again the silver one) "But my experiences are more than stories: They actually happened! I need help..." a moment of vulnerability: He didn't mean to say it - to ask - but something about this stranger was... familiar... no maybe not like he's seen him somewhere. Wrong word. Something about Kvit was... warm... like he could be trusted...

Can he hear my thoughts? Is he purposefully steering them towards this feeling?

Lough shrugs off his "other" imagination, and tries to recover socially, skipping right over the question of his ancestry "What's your stake in it? Searching for a new home? Seeking thrill? Or to archive strange occurances?" It's obvious Lough is hoping for the third option, even if he considers the first two more likely "I can show you around I suppose. You ever been to 1d16 ⇒ 15 Dawnflower Library? You look like you can read - maybe there is an old book about ruins there!" it's clear here that Lough hasn't been inside the library, just that he is aware of it's existence.

...

Places of Interest in Otari (Player's Guide):

1. The Giant’s Wheel
An enormous waterwheel that powers the lumber equipment in the Otari Mill.

2. Loading Flume
This long wooden chute takes lumber from the Giant’s Wheel down a ume into the harbor.

3. Stone Ring Pond
A mysteriously clear pool surrounded by ancient standing stones.

4. Wrin’s Wonders
A peculiar curio shop run by an eccentric woman who collects rumors.

5. Gallentine Deliveries
A delivery service always in need of fast, reliable help.

6. Blades for Glades
Otari’s primary smithy, which sells armor and weapons in addition to saws and axes.

7. Odd Stories
A bookstore run by a fiction-loving wizard.

8. Otari Garrison
A squat, bunker-like stone building that houses Otari’s civic guards.

9. Crow’s Casks
A brewery and tavern popular among local farmers and merchants.

10. Crook’s Nook
A sailors’ tavern built as a bridge across the Osprey River.

11. Otari Market
The one-stop shop for food, tools, and other everyday gear.

12. Otari Fishery
Fishery and shipyard by day, gathering place for games and entertainment by night.

13. Ruins of the Thirsty Alpaca
Once the largest tavern in town, until it suddenly collapsed in a recent disaster.

14. The Rowdy Rockfish
A surprisingly calm and quiet tavern.

15. Dawnflower Library
A large library and temple to Sarenrae, with shrines to many other deities.

16. Otari Graveyard
A clifftop cemetery that’s mostly quiet but has a sinister atmosphere.


N Male Ratfolk (Longsnout) Wizard 6 | HP 42/42 | AC 23 | F +8 R +14 W +12 | Perc +10 (scent 30ft, imprecise) | Stealth +12| Speed 25ft | Focus 1/1 | Exploration: Search | Hero Points: 3

As he continues to listen to Lough, Kvit begins to wonder if if he was wasting his time and only encouraging the possibly deranged man. He makes a furtive glance around the room to see how many folks were paying attention. As a ratfolk he was used to being ostracized or looked down on, but he normally tried to not give anyone a reason to mistrust him. While there was clearly something wrong with Lough, it sounded like he actually did see something, whatever it was. If he was going to delve into any of the more dangerous ruins, he'd need help. Companions that have at least experienced strange things are at least a step up from the normal townsfolk.

"So, you've fought whatever it was these things were? Or have you only seen them from afar? If you were trying to prove your story you may need to do more than look."

"I have been here several times before, there are some smaller ruins around the area that I've poked around in. I like to find things long lost and return them to circulation."

He appears to relax slightly as he continues talking to Lough. It was actually a little nice to talk to a human? that didn't immediately shy away acting like he was a filthy plague-bearer.

"I don't think I've spent any time in the library, but it could provide a place to research what might be out there in the swamps. Or, like you say, maybe a new place to look for ruins."


CN Female Tengu (Tiefling) Rogue/Medic 6 | ♥️ 66/66 | ➕ fire 5 | AC 24 (26 Nimble Dodge) | F+10 R+14 W+13 | Perc +13 (Darkvision) | Speed 35' | Hero 3 | Avoid Notice (Init +15) | ✋+1 Striking Ghost Touch* Shortsword *2 | Status:

Kka was doing her usual chores around the Crook's Nook, which was pretty much all the menial work. The good jobs like the cooking, bartending and cask wrestling were left to her more skilled colleagues at the tavern. Right now she was wiping down all the tables and chairs in preparation for the lunch crowd. She knew that soon it would get very busy with patrons loudly demanding the signature seafood dishes for which the tavern was deservedly famous.

The oysters were in season and they'd gotten some good sized crates of them in that morning. She knew this because it had been she that had pulled the smelly crates up through the trapdoors from the river and carried them to the kitchen. There had also been crates of fresh prawns, sea bass, sea scallops, squids and even a couple of large octopuses among the many types of fish brought to them by the local fishers just after dawn. Kka was a big fan of the food at the tavern and she hoped that there would be some leftovers for the staff once the crowd had left.

She stops for moment as she hears a throng in a nearby street laughing and cheering. She guesses that Lough was once again regaling the locals with one of his tall tales of monsters in the Fogfen. Kka was pretty sure that he was making things up, but even she wasn't stupid enough to go into those swamps alone to find out. But, she had been tempted; she suspected that the Gauntlight Keep lying within might still contain some valuables that previous explorers hadn't already uncovered.

Yinyasmera sticks her head out of the office and seeing Kka daydreaming, jokingly yells out across the room. "I'm not paying you to stand around all day doing nothing Kka. Get back to work!" Kka is slightly startled by the yell, but her training kicks in and she doesn't move an inch in response. Without turning, she laughs in the strange way of the Tengu (Ark, ark!) and yells back, "That's rich Yas! You're not ac-ctually paying me anything at all..." but catches herself when she sees that there are a couple of patrons in the tavern. "Uh, I mean..." And switching to an obviously false subservient tone, bows her head and says, "Yes, boss. Your word is my c-command" before getting back to wiping down the rest of the tables. Next, she'd have to sweep and mop the floors before heading to the kitchen. She sighs. "A girl's work is never done."

Vigilant Seal

CG Changeling (Human) Fogfen Tale-Teller Fighter / Witch / Sterling Dynamo 6 | ◆◇↺ | Explore: Defend | Backpack: Whispering Reeds
Stats:
AC 24 or 26 shield (hard 6) | Fortitude (+12), Reflex (+11), Will (+11 or +12 vs mental; S > CS vs controlled) | Perception (+11) w/ Lowlight | Speed 20
♥️ 80/80 + 24/24 shield | ☘️ ☑☑☑☑☑, ☑☑☑☑☑, ☑☑☑□ | ✋ Spellguard Shield | Class DC 22 | ☀️ □ |⚕ none | ✝️ Moderate Healing Potion (□)

"You kidding me? Of course I ran!" Lough had always dreamed of being heroic - as heroes are ones that stand and fight monsters (not turn in flight from them) - even crafted his own spear and shield "See these? I made them. Don't suppose my uncle has his old breastplate..." his mind wanders off in thought (a day fantasy).

Then returns! "There is also 1d16 ⇒ 7 Odd Stories if you want more books" another sudden turn "Tell me more about these ruins - sounds scary" another sudden turn "You like seafood? I'm going to order some" poor Lough heads over to the bartender to place his order for two, but is instead teased by them, saying things like "Afraid the your food will get up and pluck your eyes" in a 'condescending-baby' voice and "He'd probably run from the chowder if it was steaming" sidelong to the chef behind the counter while they laugh heartily... and returns dejected "I'll try something else, Kvit" and looks around the bar finally seeing "Oh! Kka" but she seems to be talking to the boss what's-'er-face "Maybe I'll go over there" and he does that... but slips on the wet floor, tumbling to the ground, and kicking the mop bucket over, spreading the dirty water back over the just-cleaned floor...

...Lough looks positively aghast! He flinches before the tengu, helpless and afraid...


CN Female Tengu (Tiefling) Rogue/Medic 6 | ♥️ 66/66 | ➕ fire 5 | AC 24 (26 Nimble Dodge) | F+10 R+14 W+13 | Perc +13 (Darkvision) | Speed 35' | Hero 3 | Avoid Notice (Init +15) | ✋+1 Striking Ghost Touch* Shortsword *2 | Status:

Kka finishes wiping down the tables and chairs and goes into the kitchen to get the mop and bucket for the floors. The cooks are busily preparing for lunch; the smell of raw fish is strong and Kka's mouth starts watering. As she passes through, she surreptitiously tries to palm one of the sardines as a snack. The head cook is used to her antics though, and without even looking her way, flicks his wrist and sends the small paring knife he'd been using thunking into the side of the crate she was reaching into. The cook, like all the staff at the Crook's Nook, was a member of the Osprey Club and skilled in more than just cooking. Without raising his voice, he says, "No one here eats till the customers are fed."

Looking at the quivering blade impaled just an inch from her reaching hand, she quickly pulls it back and decides not to linger further in the kitchen. She grabs the bucket, fills it with water and quickly makes her way back out to the main room where she plunks it down in front of the bar, spilling a little of the water. She then realizes that in her rush to escape the kitchen, she'd forgotten the mop. "Daang it!" she curses, and clops back to retrieve it.

Just as she's returning to the main room, she sees Lough turn to her and then slip on the water, kicking the bucket over as he goes down. "Kraaap! What in all the hells, Lough!" She clops over loudly to the fallen man and looming over him, is about to give him a piece of her mind. At that moment, Yinyasmera's voice casually calls out from her office. "Is there a problem, Kka?" Kka knew that tone well and the words die in her throat. That was Yinyasmera's be careful what you do next, Kka voice, and not something to be ignored lightly.

Kka's shoulders slump slightly and putting on her fake sweet voice, she calls back. "Oh, it's nothing boss." Then fixing the fallen Lough with a baleful blood-red eye that belies her tone, she continues in the same sweet voice. "Just a small spill, boss. I'll get it c-cleaned up right away." She looks at the pitiful and damp-looking Lough and softens her look. Sighing, she reaches down and helps him to his feet. "Don't worry about the water; it's c-clean. You'll be dry in a moment."

It is then that she notices the small ratty-looking fellow standing nearby. She'd seen him in the tavern before, but did not think he was a local. "What's his name again? Something short and easy to say... Kwip, Kilt. Oh, I remember now.". "Hi Kvit. You're back." Then tilting her head in Lough's direction. "You with him, are you? Well, you're both a bit early for lunch yet, but grab a table and order a drink while you wait." She glances at Kvit and then points to some bowls at the end of the bar. "I believe there's still some leftover cheese from breaakfast if you're interested." And without waiting for a response, she turns back to her work and finishes mopping up the floor.


N Male Ratfolk (Longsnout) Wizard 6 | HP 42/42 | AC 23 | F +8 R +14 W +12 | Perc +10 (scent 30ft, imprecise) | Stealth +12| Speed 25ft | Focus 1/1 | Exploration: Search | Hero Points: 3

Kvit is both startled and alarmed at the tengu. For one, he didn't even know she knew who he was and he wasn't sure he knew her name. And for two, he had already been pegged as associates with Lough even though he was trying to stay clear of that issue.

"Oh, uh, hello ka-kaa? I just got back into town yesterday." Caught off guard, he did what she suggested, grabbing a table and waving for one of the other waitresses yo order something.

Then sort of doing a double take, he suddenly realizes the rest of what she said. "Hey! Ratfolk don't just eat cheese!" He waits a few minutes though before nonchalantly making his way to the end of the bar to grab some morsels to go with his lunch.


- LG Fruit Leshy | Cleric 6 | HP 68/68 | AC 21 | F +12 R +10 W +14 | speed 25 ft | Perc +14(lowlight) | Hero Point 2/3 | Focus: 1/1 | Spells: 1: 2/3 2: 3/3 3: 2/3 | Heals: 4/5 | Berry: 1 | Spell DC 22 | active condition: | Exploration activity: Search

The door to the bar opens and what looks so much like a ambulatory shrub enters the bar. It is carrying a box over its head.

"Ms. Barkeep!" The shrub(?) calls out in a high pitched voice, "I have a package for you!"

After the plant hands over the package, they looks around the bar. "Oh, you have many people today. Some of you I know!"

The little shrub waves. "Hello all the people Cherry Berry knows."


Male Male CG Gnome/Sylph | HP 32/32| AC 18(19 w/ shield) | F +6 R +8 W +7| speed 25 ft | Perc+5| Hero Point 1/1 | Focus: 1/1 | Spells: 1: 2/4 2:0/3 | Spell DC 19| active condition: | Exploration activity: Detect Magic Sorcerer (Sea Dragon Bloodline) 3

A small gnome with a painted face enters the establishment, face buried in a thick black-and-white picture book. He sits down at an empty chair without even taking his eyes off the pages.


CN Female Tengu (Tiefling) Rogue/Medic 6 | ♥️ 66/66 | ➕ fire 5 | AC 24 (26 Nimble Dodge) | F+10 R+14 W+13 | Perc +13 (Darkvision) | Speed 35' | Hero 3 | Avoid Notice (Init +15) | ✋+1 Striking Ghost Touch* Shortsword *2 | Status:

The barkeeper at the Crook's Nook was an intimidatingly large woman who stood several inches taller than Kka's six feet, a couple of feet wider, and well over twice the tengu's weight. Like the rest of the employees, she too was a member of the Osprey Club and did double duty as the bouncer on those rare occasions when the patrons got too rowdy. But when this imposing woman sees Cherry Berry come in with the package, her usual scowl disappears, to be replaced with a big grin of unfeigned joy as she tears into the package like a child during the holidays. From the wreckage, she pulls out a bottle full of a dark amber liquid, which she then holds up to the light for a better look.

Kka had put away the bucket and mop and had returned to her waitressing duties in the main hall. The lunch hour was fast approaching and the room was starting to fill with hungry customers. Seeing the bartender looking lovingly at her new acquisition, Kka rolls her eyes. "I take it that's the bottle of Kkatapeshi braandy that you ordered weeks ago. Sheesh... The way you're looking at it you'd think it was Sun Orchid Elixir or something." Some of the nearer drinkers titter at the joke, but soon fall silent as the bartender's scowl returns and she glares at them menacingly.

The Tengu turns to greet the courier. "Hey there Cherrry Berrry. How's things haanging? Been getting plenty of sun?" She glances at the snack bowls at the end of the bar. "Looks like I'll have to chop up some more cheese there. Seems we have some turophiles in the room today." Her eye swivels suspiciously towards Kvit across the room.

Before she can do anything to relieve the cheese shortage, she spots the strange looking gnome come in and sit down without a word. "Isn't that the new guy in town that Wrin was telling me about the other day? The one that's a little obsessed by the Roseguard? Better go see what he wants." She clops over to Giyozara's table, and when the gnome doesn't react, she leans down and taps the top of his book with a finger to get his attention. "Hello therre. C-can I get you something? I'm Kka by the way, and you are...?"


- LG Fruit Leshy | Cleric 6 | HP 68/68 | AC 21 | F +12 R +10 W +14 | speed 25 ft | Perc +14(lowlight) | Hero Point 2/3 | Focus: 1/1 | Spells: 1: 2/3 2: 3/3 3: 2/3 | Heals: 4/5 | Berry: 1 | Spell DC 22 | active condition: | Exploration activity: Search

"Oh yes, Kka, the sun has been really nice lately. Very filling."

Deciding to take some time of of their task, Cherry climbs up on a chair next to Kka.


Male Male CG Gnome/Sylph | HP 32/32| AC 18(19 w/ shield) | F +6 R +8 W +7| speed 25 ft | Perc+5| Hero Point 1/1 | Focus: 1/1 | Spells: 1: 2/4 2:0/3 | Spell DC 19| active condition: | Exploration activity: Detect Magic Sorcerer (Sea Dragon Bloodline) 3

Giyozara looks up startled and sets down his book on the open page. "Oh, yes, oh, uh, I heard there were some good fish soup on the menu today. So I was hoping to get that. Good for the digestion I hear. Going to do a light workout later today so I don't want something too filling."

Vigilant Seal

CG Changeling (Human) Fogfen Tale-Teller Fighter / Witch / Sterling Dynamo 6 | ◆◇↺ | Explore: Defend | Backpack: Whispering Reeds
Stats:
AC 24 or 26 shield (hard 6) | Fortitude (+12), Reflex (+11), Will (+11 or +12 vs mental; S > CS vs controlled) | Perception (+11) w/ Lowlight | Speed 20
♥️ 80/80 + 24/24 shield | ☘️ ☑☑☑☑☑, ☑☑☑☑☑, ☑☑☑□ | ✋ Spellguard Shield | Class DC 22 | ☀️ □ |⚕ none | ✝️ Moderate Healing Potion (□)

Lough is helped up by Kka and looks truly apologetic as she pities him with her eyes. He had intended to ask her help to get two of the day's specials wanting to avoid the bartender and cook (who had been teasing him), but, seeing her overly preoccupied, he lost heart to do so.

"Can't seem to get anything done right" to Kvit as he sits back down to join him, and spying his morsels "You got some extra?"

As soon as the leshy enters the joint, Lough seems to remember something "Cherry - those Jacks come in yet? I need a few for the Otari Mill for help braking the Loading Flume!"


CN Female Tengu (Tiefling) Rogue/Medic 6 | ♥️ 66/66 | ➕ fire 5 | AC 24 (26 Nimble Dodge) | F+10 R+14 W+13 | Perc +13 (Darkvision) | Speed 35' | Hero 3 | Avoid Notice (Init +15) | ✋+1 Striking Ghost Touch* Shortsword *2 | Status:

Kka gives the strange gnome an extra long stare, but when no more information is forthcoming, she thinks, "Okaaay then! Maybe I'll get the guy's name from Wrin when I see her later." "Okaaay then! I'll get you that soup as soon as the Kkitchen opens. Shouldn't be more than a few minutes from now. You want a-anything to drink with that?"

She considers going to the kitchen and telling the cook that the customers were starting to get a little h-hangry and to hurry things up, but decides otherwise. The next paring knife thrown at her might not miss. Instead she goes back to the end of the bar where Cherry is seated. "So how's Kkeeleno treating you these days? Okaay? He hasn't tried selling you from his fruit stand lately, has he? Ark ark!" At her little joke, Kka laughs her strange Tengu laugh.


Male Male CG Gnome/Sylph | HP 32/32| AC 18(19 w/ shield) | F +6 R +8 W +7| speed 25 ft | Perc+5| Hero Point 1/1 | Focus: 1/1 | Spells: 1: 2/4 2:0/3 | Spell DC 19| active condition: | Exploration activity: Detect Magic Sorcerer (Sea Dragon Bloodline) 3

"Oh, Cherry, didn't see you there! Thanks for delivering the latest volume. Can you believe the temple was missing volume four and five? Random, right?" he holds up the book he's reading . . . and then furrows his brow at Lough.

He gets down off his chair and walks over to the man. "Wait, you need . . . jacks? Like, the metal spikes?" He produces one set of caltrops from his backpack and sets them on the table.

"Will these work? I have . . . NO idea where I got them. They were just in my bag one day. I think maybe they came with the room I'm renting at the boarding house. Anyway, I don't have much use for them."

LOL, randomly the sorcerer kit recommends 2 caltrops and I decided to buy the sorcerer's kit and then add lockpicks to it so I have a couple sets of them.

"Sorry, rude of me not to introduce myself. I'm Giyozara. Bit of a scholar of the local area. All the legends and ruins and stuff." he holds out his hand.

Vigilant Seal

CG Changeling (Human) Fogfen Tale-Teller Fighter / Witch / Sterling Dynamo 6 | ◆◇↺ | Explore: Defend | Backpack: Whispering Reeds
Stats:
AC 24 or 26 shield (hard 6) | Fortitude (+12), Reflex (+11), Will (+11 or +12 vs mental; S > CS vs controlled) | Perception (+11) w/ Lowlight | Speed 20
♥️ 80/80 + 24/24 shield | ☘️ ☑☑☑☑☑, ☑☑☑☑☑, ☑☑☑□ | ✋ Spellguard Shield | Class DC 22 | ☀️ □ |⚕ none | ✝️ Moderate Healing Potion (□)

Lough blinks.

Who just carries jacks around?

He moves to take them, then hesitates. Shoots a paranoid look at "Giyozara I'm Lough" and drops 6 silvers on the table "That should square us" no longer hesitating, he takes them and looks towards Kvit now "Collector of Knowledge, Giyozara, meet Collector of... um... Collectables, Kvit - he was talking about exploring some or other ruins round here - but you won't believe the things they got in these swamps around here... I've seen them!"

If allowed, Lough will launch a different story than the one earlier, this one involving:

Fogfen Tale-Teller (3d6):

Color
1 > Crimson
2 > Jet Black
3 > Putrid Green
4 > Yellow Pus
5 > Spotted (roll 2d4 check above)
6 > Dull Grey

Texture
1 > Slimy
2 > Sticky
3 > Burnt
4 > Ashen
5 > Scaly
6 > Porous

Body Part
1 > Nose
2 > Feet
3 > Pseudopod
4 > Tail
5 > Claws
6 > Antennae

Anyone care to roll!?

"That the kind of legends you study, Giyozara?" it's clear he desperately wants to believed by the newcomer (and, any new gathered audience)...


Male Male CG Gnome/Sylph | HP 32/32| AC 18(19 w/ shield) | F +6 R +8 W +7| speed 25 ft | Perc+5| Hero Point 1/1 | Focus: 1/1 | Spells: 1: 2/4 2:0/3 | Spell DC 19| active condition: | Exploration activity: Detect Magic Sorcerer (Sea Dragon Bloodline) 3

Roll: 3d6 ⇒ (5, 5, 5) = 15

"Oh, lucky! I've always wanted to go into the ruins. I think that there might be some old Roseguard information down there relating to," he pauses for a second and seems to readjust himself, slowing down and becoming more clinical after a few deep breaths. "I mean, there's some evidence to suggest that there are some things down in some of the ruins that the Roseguard didn't fully detail. Maybe they stumbled upon the tip of some information but didn't fully realize what they had until later. Aracne knowledge to be specific. Or, at least a good story or two," unable to contain his excitement it bubbles back on the thought of a good story.

"Other than some arcane texts and the Roseguard I study, well, I study martial arts a little, though it's quite hard to learn from a book. Fiction. Also really got parlor magic recently. Just as a hobby, y'know." He takes a coin from the pile Lough set down and flips it between his fingers.

thievery: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14. For those not paying attention, the coin seems to vanish in his hand before reappearing a moment later. The sharp-eyed can see the trick though.

"Shoot, still need to practice!


N Male Ratfolk (Longsnout) Wizard 6 | HP 42/42 | AC 23 | F +8 R +14 W +12 | Perc +10 (scent 30ft, imprecise) | Stealth +12| Speed 25ft | Focus 1/1 | Exploration: Search | Hero Points: 3

This Lough guy turns out to be crazy and a clumsy fool. Now a halfling or a gnome in make up and a talking bush. Is the short one some kind of street performer? Kvit looks around for another open table but the lunch crowd was already pouring in. He sighed and shook his head. He scoots his chair around to the far side of the table.

He talks to himself quietly, "Why? This is what I get for talking to folks..."

A tiny voice comes from inside his coat. "Hey boss, why the long face?" The tiny voice laughs at its own apparently hilarious joke. "Ha! Get it? Cause we have long snouts?" There's a snort while the voice regains their composure. "Oh hey, Can I have some of that?" A tiny whiskered face pokes up out of one of Kvit's pockets.

Kvit glares down at the rat's face for a moment before handing it a small piece. "Hush. You know how the longfolk are with us Ysoki in their eating places."

He looks around at the assembled strangers around him and shakes his head again. He'll just eat his lunch and go out the back. Although maybe he will visit that library. Normally he would stay away from religious places like that but he was running out of leads.


- LG Fruit Leshy | Cleric 6 | HP 68/68 | AC 21 | F +12 R +10 W +14 | speed 25 ft | Perc +14(lowlight) | Hero Point 2/3 | Focus: 1/1 | Spells: 1: 2/3 2: 3/3 3: 2/3 | Heals: 4/5 | Berry: 1 | Spell DC 22 | active condition: | Exploration activity: Search

Cherry looks upset as they reply to Lough. "Not yet. Was promised them last week, but the smith's say they are out of the right kind of metal." The little shrub shrugs. "Not sure what kind they need, but they say they are waiting for the caravan."


Slides Loot sheet

Cool roleplaying! Hope I'm not interrupting anything, though this seems like a good moment.

Lough, Cherry Berry, Kvit, Giyozara, and Kka spend the rest of the afternoon in the Crook's Nook. Then, when dinnertime arrives, you say your goodbyes as you all happen to have evening appointments. Awkwardly, you then all head into the same direction, and it turns out you all have the same appointment: a dinner party with a mutual friend, Wrin Sivinxi.

You knock on the door and Wrin opens up, slightly surprised by all five of you arriving at the same time. "Ah, oh, welcome friends. I didn't know you all knew each other. Which makes things easier, I suppose. Come on in, can I get you something to drink?"

Inside, another person is sitting on a couch and enjoying a drink. This is you, Sam.

Wrin has dinner ready and you spend a nice long evening enjoying each other's company, perhaps slightly baffled by the fact that Wrin apparently invited six people who are relative strangers to each other to a dinner party.
Cherry Berry, I'm assuming you can eat for the flavour, if not the nutrients. Otherwise, Wrin has several bottles of sunlight for you to enjoy.

Then, as post-dinner drinks are passed around, Wrin's face becomes serious. "Friends, this evening might have come across as strange to you. That is because I have a favour to ask of you. I assume you're all familiar with the ruins around Otari, right? And the great sorcerer Belcorra that used to live there?" Wrin clears her throat and recites a nursery rhyme you're all too familiar with.

"When the fog is creeping,
And the moon is low;
When the town is sleeping,
Gauntlight starts to glow!

That’s when she arises
For her midnight lunch.
Naughty kids are prizes
For her teeth to crunch.

But if you obey me,
And obey the rules;
You’re safe from Belcorra;
She just eats the fools!"

"Slightly more than five hundred years ago, Otari's Roseguard slew Belcorra in her own home. While Belcorra's spirit is just a fable to make children brush their teeth at night, the ruins of her home still impose a certain awe, even to adults. But, as I was consulting the stars a few weeks ago, I noticed that Belcorra's lighthouse, the Gauntlight glowed with an eerie light. It's quite a walk from here, and the swamps are usually shrouded in mist, so it's impossible to see with regular eyesight, but my, ah, condition," Wrin motions to her pupil-less eyes. "allows me to see further than usual. Certain numbers hold a special significance, and as I said, five hundred years have passed since Belcorra's vanquishing. I hope I'm just mistaken, but I fear her spirit might have risen once again."

Wrin pauses, and looks each of you in the eyes for a long time.

"I know you all to be capable people. Yes, even you, Lough, don't deny it. If possible, could you all do me a favour and go into the swamps to see what is happening, and find out if, and why, the Gauntlight shines once again? It could very well be dangerous, but if I'm correct, Otari might be in big trouble. I'm sure Belcorra won't take kindly to being slain, and I hope that if her spirit has reformed, we might catch her off-guard while she is still weak and unprepared."

She looks at you all once again, her tail twitching, half in excitement, half in fear.


N Male Ratfolk (Longsnout) Wizard 6 | HP 42/42 | AC 23 | F +8 R +14 W +12 | Perc +10 (scent 30ft, imprecise) | Stealth +12| Speed 25ft | Focus 1/1 | Exploration: Search | Hero Points: 3

As Wrin gets to the climax of her speech, Kvit realizes in horror what she was about to ask. He had been waiting for a chance to explore the Gauntlight since he first came to this place. But with these folks? A deranged clawed human, a literal talking bush, a little girl, a street performer, and - well the new person seems at least normal. But seriously, if that sorcerer's spirit really was back, they were almost certain to all die or run away screaming at best.

Kvit doesn't say anything for now. Instead taking some serious and deliberate sips of his drink. Which, if he did agree to this madness, he'd need a lot more of.

Ah, but what of the treasure!? There has to be something worthwhile left in those ruins.

Conflicted, Kvit just keeps his thoughts to himself for now, weighing the pros and all of the many many cons of this request...


CN Female Tengu (Tiefling) Rogue/Medic 6 | ♥️ 66/66 | ➕ fire 5 | AC 24 (26 Nimble Dodge) | F+10 R+14 W+13 | Perc +13 (Darkvision) | Speed 35' | Hero 3 | Avoid Notice (Init +15) | ✋+1 Striking Ghost Touch* Shortsword *2 | Status:

Looks like the GM ninja'd me, but I'll throw it out anyway.

The cook finally comes out of the kitchen with a large chalkboard and hangs it in its usual place on the wall before returning to his domain. I lists all the dishes available for lunch. "Finally! Looks like lunch is on. Caaan't talk now, Cherry; got to get back to worrkk."

Kka and the other waitress start going from table to table, picking up orders and relaying them to the kitchen. The Tengu sees that Lough, Kvit and the strange gnome were now sitting together at the same table, talking quietly. She'd wondered what Kvit and Lough could possibly have in common, but with the addition of the gnome with the painted face, it was starting to look a little ridiculous. She smiles to herself. "I guess the circus came to town early this year. Ark ark."

She decides to make a beeline for their table to see if she can find out what they're up to. Once Kka gets to them, she closes her beak a couple of times to get their attention (Click, Clack). "So what will it be? I know the little one here wants the fish soup, but what do the rest of you waant?" Kka then notices Kvit's familiar poking its little head out of one of his pockets. She looks around quickly to see if anyone else noticed, then leans down to whisper into the Ysoki's ear. "You may want to keep the little one under wraaps. We wouldn't waant the other customers to think we've got rats in the place." She stands back up and looking at Kvit, laughs. "Ark, ark! Probably too late for that though. Know whaat I mean?"


CN Female Tengu (Tiefling) Rogue/Medic 6 | ♥️ 66/66 | ➕ fire 5 | AC 24 (26 Nimble Dodge) | F+10 R+14 W+13 | Perc +13 (Darkvision) | Speed 35' | Hero 3 | Avoid Notice (Init +15) | ✋+1 Striking Ghost Touch* Shortsword *2 | Status:

At Wrin's request, Kka is momentarily taken aback. On the one hand, she was intrigued by the prospect. "Sounds like it could be really exciting. More exciting than waitressing at the Crook's Nook at least, and I'll get a chance to put all that training to the test." She then she looks over at her presumptive companions. "But with these guys? Really? Why, Lough alone could get us all killed before we even reached the Gauntlight."

Kka shrugs. She wasn't one for long deliberation. She tended to decide quickly and then act even faster. "Okaay! I'm in. I'll have to clear it with Yinyasmera though, but I'm pretty sure she'll survive without my indispensable services. Ark ark!" "Yeah, especially if she gets her usual cut of any loot I find in there."


Male Male CG Gnome/Sylph | HP 32/32| AC 18(19 w/ shield) | F +6 R +8 W +7| speed 25 ft | Perc+5| Hero Point 1/1 | Focus: 1/1 | Spells: 1: 2/4 2:0/3 | Spell DC 19| active condition: | Exploration activity: Detect Magic Sorcerer (Sea Dragon Bloodline) 3

”Oh, oh yes! I’ve been looking for an excuse to explore the ruins! And the actual gauntlight! Where the Roseguard slew the sorceress, who wouldn’t want to take the opportunity to learn more about them!? I’m in. Oh, and yes, saving their legacy in terms of the Town of Otari is a concern. Probably chief concern.”. Giyozara nods as he adds his opinion, apparently unaware of anyone’s misgivings.


LG Female Human | Eldritch Anatomist | Monk Lvl 2 | Medic Dedication | ◆ | ◇ ◈ | ↺ | HP 30/30 | AC 20 | F +7, R +10, W +9 | Perc +7 | 25 feet | Class DC 16 | Medicine(E): +9, Acrobatics/Stealth: +8, Athletics: +5, Deception/Fleshwarp Lore/Thievery(U): +4, Religion(U)/Survival(U)/Nature(U): +3 | Exploration Activity: Avoid Notice | Hero Points: 1/3 | Exploration Activity: Avoid Notice | Hero Points: 1/3 |

The tall blond woman sitting on the couch nursing a steaming mug of what can only be tea (or water) looked up at the group of folk who'd just entered. She says nothing but becomes more animated as the talk focuses on exploring the ruins.

"Greetings! My name is Sam Seed. I couldn't help but overhear most of you in the Crook's Nook about exploring the ruins. I would like to join you, if that is possible. I am a physician by training, but I look to study other aspects of anatomy. My friend Wrin here told me about sending a group into the ruins."

Turning to Kka, "I'll have the fish soup as well."

Vigilant Seal

1 person marked this as a favorite.
CG Changeling (Human) Fogfen Tale-Teller Fighter / Witch / Sterling Dynamo 6 | ◆◇↺ | Explore: Defend | Backpack: Whispering Reeds
Stats:
AC 24 or 26 shield (hard 6) | Fortitude (+12), Reflex (+11), Will (+11 or +12 vs mental; S > CS vs controlled) | Perception (+11) w/ Lowlight | Speed 20
♥️ 80/80 + 24/24 shield | ☘️ ☑☑☑☑☑, ☑☑☑☑☑, ☑☑☑□ | ✋ Spellguard Shield | Class DC 22 | ☀️ □ |⚕ none | ✝️ Moderate Healing Potion (□)

Lough and Kvit figure out that they have the same meeting "I can understand why she would want you but... why me?" he wonders out loud. After all, the ysoki looked like the knowledgeable type "I'll stick with you for, uh, protection!" Lough realizes that he could probably easily best his new companion in a straight-up wrestle, and remembers that bookish types with lots of money often hire personal bodyguards "I wonder what she wants..."

Why me?

Quiet and withdrawn, he walks together with him "This way" knowing the town pretty well enough - and is shocked to see the other three - Kka, Cherry, and Giyozara - had made the same arrangements!

Lough darts his head around, the hairs on the back of his neck stand, and his silver eye dilates!

"What is the meaning of this?" he asks Wrin Sivinxi, the outer edges of his brain firing in emergency flight mode, the conspiracy involving the setup of these established folk - our paranoid hero suffers the rush of accelerating heartbeat bordering on a full blown panic attack. It is here he notices his breathing, and enters into it with his "other" mind, which tells him it's alright, the reason the 5 - now 6! - of you were in the same tavern is because that is the place to go in town - after all, they have the best seafood specials. At this new train of thought, his breathing slowly returns to a normal pace, and he calms once more.

He answers her first question "Nobody lives there though" positively sure these ruins have nothing special to hide - it's the swamp around them! - but as she starts to sing, the sound triggers a distant memory Lough had forgotten he could remember - he finds himself humming along! - not the words, but the tune. Perhaps once or twice when he was less than a year's age, there was a strange feminine voice that sang this tune - reaching through the fog of memory clouded by time, Lough is able to hum a song he doesn't know! Strangely familiar and familiarly strange, he sinks into another bout of panic, his senses heightening once more, acutely aware of every particle of his being and each other being in the room - 8 total - his mind churning over itself, and his expression wild!


CN Female Tengu (Tiefling) Rogue/Medic 6 | ♥️ 66/66 | ➕ fire 5 | AC 24 (26 Nimble Dodge) | F+10 R+14 W+13 | Perc +13 (Darkvision) | Speed 35' | Hero 3 | Avoid Notice (Init +15) | ✋+1 Striking Ghost Touch* Shortsword *2 | Status:

Now that Kka is on board, she gives the others a thorough looking over, especially the newbies that she doesn't know all that well. She watches with some trepidation as Lough's face goes through a strange sequence of emotions ranging from fear, then suspicion, before relaxing somewhat and humming contentedly. "May the Savored Sting protect me. I'll be lucky if Lough doesn't kill us all in a fit of madness before we even get near the swamp."

Next, she looks over at Sam. "I wonder what her story is. Looks like she can take care of herself though. That's good." And finally, her eyes fall on the three little folk, Cherry, Giyozara and Kvit. She sighs. "These guys don't look like they could fight their way out of a wet paper bag. Maybe if..." and she pictures Giyozara on Kvit's shoulders, with Cherry standing on the gnome's head, then mentally dresses them in a long coat with only Kvit's feet, Giyozara's arms and Cherry's head visible. She tries to stiffle her laugh at the mental image, but only half succeeds. "Ark... <cough, cough>, uuurk. No, no, I'm okaay. Really! Something went down the wrrong pipe is all <cough>. I'm good."


N Male Ratfolk (Longsnout) Wizard 6 | HP 42/42 | AC 23 | F +8 R +14 W +12 | Perc +10 (scent 30ft, imprecise) | Stealth +12| Speed 25ft | Focus 1/1 | Exploration: Search | Hero Points: 3

Kvit continues his internal monologuing trying to figure a way out of this or a way through this "...well, at least the one woman was a doctor... maybe we won't all die..."

He sighs, unsure of what to do. This could be his only chance at getting in there. He certainly wasn't getting any younger. He was practically ancient by Ysoki standards.

The tiny voice from earlier pipes up again "Hey, com'on, we gotta do this. If things go hairy we'll just skedaddle. What's the worst that could happen, and think of all the treas- uh collectables... huh?, eh?"

Kvit hushes him and whispers back "Shh, have you looked at the rest of them? You're not going to be the target when a sorceress ghost shows up. Bah, you're right though. We should go."

Kvit stands up and clears his throat. "Wrin, I will agree to investigate this if the rest of the group does. I know we haven't known each other that long, and I hope that we will have many years left assuming we don't all die. What makes you think we'll be able to survive something like this ghost we barely know about?"


Male Male CG Gnome/Sylph | HP 32/32| AC 18(19 w/ shield) | F +6 R +8 W +7| speed 25 ft | Perc+5| Hero Point 1/1 | Focus: 1/1 | Spells: 1: 2/4 2:0/3 | Spell DC 19| active condition: | Exploration activity: Detect Magic Sorcerer (Sea Dragon Bloodline) 3

"I know about the ghost!" Giyozara answer's the Ysoki's qustion.

Roseguard Lore: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11

"She was . . . evil and . . . wow, I have not read that part of their biography in some time. The roseguard . . . fought her . . . which you knew . . ."

He smiles apologetically. "I uh, I have a few books at home . . . . I'll uh, grab them before we go down."


N Male Ratfolk (Longsnout) Wizard 6 | HP 42/42 | AC 23 | F +8 R +14 W +12 | Perc +10 (scent 30ft, imprecise) | Stealth +12| Speed 25ft | Focus 1/1 | Exploration: Search | Hero Points: 3

Kvit had also spent time researching the Roseguard

Roseguard lore: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13

But couldn't recall offhand much more than what was said. He kept his mouth shut for now.


Slides Loot sheet

Giyozara and Kvit:
You don't know much about Belcorra herself, but you know that the Roseguard were an adventurer's party from Absalom. They defeated Belcorra, but one of their party, the rogue Otari Ilvashti, lost his life in the attack. The rest of the Roseguard then settled down nearby and used their money to start a settlement and named it after their fallen comrade. The other members of the Roseguard were Aesephna Menhemes, a cleric of Erastil; Vol Rajani, a swordswoman who claimed to be exiled royalty from Nidal; and Zarmavdian, a wizard who was particularly interested in conspiracy theories and occult lore.

Kvit the Ruin Delver wrote:
Kvit stands up and clears his throat. "Wrin, I will agree to investigate this if the rest of the group does. I know we haven't known each other that long, and I hope that we will have many years left assuming we don't all die. What makes you think we'll be able to survive something like this ghost we barely know about?"

Wrin grabs her cup and looks in it, not meeting Kvit's eyes for a while, and sighs. After she's gathered her thoughts (or maybe courage?), she speaks up, looking at the group again. "Well, I don't know for sure it's her ghost. Maybe it's just some brigands who have managed to activate the lighthouse somehow. I've asked the town guard, but it's out of their jurisdiction, and I don't know anyone else who is capable enough to go and take a look. But if my theory is correct, and by Desna, I hope it's not," Wrin's hand goes to her holy symbol, "I hope you're smart enough to run. I expect you to simply take a look, find whatever is causing the Gauntlight to shine, and come back in one piece. If it does turn out to be the sorceress' spirit, we'll figure something out. Maybe we can call upon the Pathfinders over in Absalom, but until then, I believe in your wits and judgment to keep you alive and well."

Vigilant Seal

CG Changeling (Human) Fogfen Tale-Teller Fighter / Witch / Sterling Dynamo 6 | ◆◇↺ | Explore: Defend | Backpack: Whispering Reeds
Stats:
AC 24 or 26 shield (hard 6) | Fortitude (+12), Reflex (+11), Will (+11 or +12 vs mental; S > CS vs controlled) | Perception (+11) w/ Lowlight | Speed 20
♥️ 80/80 + 24/24 shield | ☘️ ☑☑☑☑☑, ☑☑☑☑☑, ☑☑☑□ | ✋ Spellguard Shield | Class DC 22 | ☀️ □ |⚕ none | ✝️ Moderate Healing Potion (□)

"I'm with Kvit"


CN Female Tengu (Tiefling) Rogue/Medic 6 | ♥️ 66/66 | ➕ fire 5 | AC 24 (26 Nimble Dodge) | F+10 R+14 W+13 | Perc +13 (Darkvision) | Speed 35' | Hero 3 | Avoid Notice (Init +15) | ✋+1 Striking Ghost Touch* Shortsword *2 | Status:

Kka scoffs at the mention of involving the Society. "Pfft! We don't need to involve those Pathfinderr people. They're always causing all sorrts of problems wherever they go. I'm surre we can handle whatever trouble we run into..." She glances at her new companions. "... well, prretty sure anyway."

She looks arounds the room as if to check if someone is hiding in the shadows or looking in through a window, then leans forward in her chair and lowers her voice conspiratorially. "Looks like a quick in-n-out job to me. Get in, find the idiot who lit a fire in the Gauntlight, grab whatever we find, then back out beforre anyone notices we were even there; done it dozens of times; we'll be back before dinner. You m-Ark my worrds."

Vigilant Seal

1 person marked this as a favorite.
CG Changeling (Human) Fogfen Tale-Teller Fighter / Witch / Sterling Dynamo 6 | ◆◇↺ | Explore: Defend | Backpack: Whispering Reeds
Stats:
AC 24 or 26 shield (hard 6) | Fortitude (+12), Reflex (+11), Will (+11 or +12 vs mental; S > CS vs controlled) | Perception (+11) w/ Lowlight | Speed 20
♥️ 80/80 + 24/24 shield | ☘️ ☑☑☑☑☑, ☑☑☑☑☑, ☑☑☑□ | ✋ Spellguard Shield | Class DC 22 | ☀️ □ |⚕ none | ✝️ Moderate Healing Potion (□)

Lough heads over to the Otari Mill "Hey boss - by back hurts - I need a day or two off"

Lie (Deception, Untrained): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10

"You can't do that, Lough" the boss retorts.

"Okay okay - my back is fine - actually it does hurt - but I'm not sick - I gotta see about something"

"You can't do that, Lough" the boss maintains.

"...It's about... those things I keep seeing... you know... the Swampy Beasts!"

"It's a load of malarky, Lough" the boss insists.

"It is not"

"It is too, Lough"

"Well, I'm taking a day or two off anyway!"

"You can't do that, Lough" stubbornly the boss continues to hold the line.

Lough just shrugs "Whatever you say, boss!" and he walks away, resolved in his decision that even though he tried to do the right thing by giving notice of his leave, a calling was a calling, and Lough has no plans to go into work these one or two days - or more! - the need to resolve the mystery of his Choosing having elevated itself above the mere subsistence wage of hauling heavy lumber all day. What were they going to do, cut his pay? He was already the lowest paid worker on the site! And! On account of the Fiscal Safety Measures in regards them "taking a chance" on hiring him despite his abnormal physiology. Malarky indeed!

Our paranoid hero heads over to his shared cottage, and looks around. Looks like Uncle's not home... and sneaking into his room, dons his breastplate, stashes his jacks in a handy pocket, straps his spear over his backpack, and clasping his shield, sneaks back out to meet back up with Kvet and the others.

"I'm ready!"


Male Male CG Gnome/Sylph | HP 32/32| AC 18(19 w/ shield) | F +6 R +8 W +7| speed 25 ft | Perc+5| Hero Point 1/1 | Focus: 1/1 | Spells: 1: 2/4 2:0/3 | Spell DC 19| active condition: | Exploration activity: Detect Magic Sorcerer (Sea Dragon Bloodline) 3

"Uhhhhh," Giyozara points to all the dirty dishes on the table from the food the group just ate.

"I mean, dinner's over. We JUST ate it."


CN Female Tengu (Tiefling) Rogue/Medic 6 | ♥️ 66/66 | ➕ fire 5 | AC 24 (26 Nimble Dodge) | F+10 R+14 W+13 | Perc +13 (Darkvision) | Speed 35' | Hero 3 | Avoid Notice (Init +15) | ✋+1 Striking Ghost Touch* Shortsword *2 | Status:
Giyozara wrote:
"I mean, dinner's over. We JUST ate it."

Kka squints her blood-red eyes and gives Giyozara a suspicious look. "Is he yanking my chain?" But no; it seems that the gnome was merely impervious to hyperbole. "No, see... I didn't mean it literrally; it's just a figure of speech..." But Giyozara continues looking at her blankly. Kka breathes out heavily. "Look... Oh, neverr mind. I've got to go talkk to Yas and get my stuff together. You take care of the dishes while I'm gone, okay?" And without waiting for an answer, she sprints out the door, calling back over her shoulder, "I'll meet you all back here bright and early in the morning ready to go. Don't be late."

As expected, Yinyasmera makes no objections ("Just make sure not to get killed. Good help is hard to find these days"). Kka then goes up to her room - more of a large closet really - and hits the sack.

In the morning, she puts on her leathers; straps on her shortsword; tucks her tools into her pockets; and grabs her backpack. "I wonder if I should borrow the shortbow from the training room?" she thinks to herself, but quickly discards that idea. Not only would Yinyasmera have a conniption if she noticed it missing, but Kka couldn't afford to replace it if she lost it on their little adventure. "Oh well, maybe I'll find one of my own in the Gauntlight while we're there."

On the way out of the Crook's Nook, Kka grabs a couple of apples from the kitchen (thankfully the kitchen crew were still in bed) and gobbles them down on the way to Wrin's. "I'm bAaaack! "


Male Male CG Gnome/Sylph | HP 32/32| AC 18(19 w/ shield) | F +6 R +8 W +7| speed 25 ft | Perc+5| Hero Point 1/1 | Focus: 1/1 | Spells: 1: 2/4 2:0/3 | Spell DC 19| active condition: | Exploration activity: Detect Magic Sorcerer (Sea Dragon Bloodline) 3

The next day Giyoza is at Yinyasmera's bright and early with his training gi on and a backpack with a few odds and ends in it, mostly rations and whatnot. His only weapons seem to be a crossbow that has never been used and a dagger that has only ever been used for cooking. His nose is deep in a book and his brow is furrowed.

" . . . and the Roseguard defeated the evil sorceress? Really? That's all that's written?" He flips back and forth between a few pages. "There's an entire chapter about how Otari got the lumber mill started when he founded the town, but just one sentence to defeating the crazed sorceress in the lighthouse? What was her bloodline? What kind of spells did she favor? Really? Nothing? Ugh, this book is useless."


- LG Fruit Leshy | Cleric 6 | HP 68/68 | AC 21 | F +12 R +10 W +14 | speed 25 ft | Perc +14(lowlight) | Hero Point 2/3 | Focus: 1/1 | Spells: 1: 2/3 2: 3/3 3: 2/3 | Heals: 4/5 | Berry: 1 | Spell DC 22 | active condition: | Exploration activity: Search

"I would be happy to help, Mr. Wrin. I'm really very capable and I will make sure everyone is safe."


N Male Ratfolk (Longsnout) Wizard 6 | HP 42/42 | AC 23 | F +8 R +14 W +12 | Perc +10 (scent 30ft, imprecise) | Stealth +12| Speed 25ft | Focus 1/1 | Exploration: Search | Hero Points: 3

After the meeting, Kvit makes his way back to the small room he was renting from an old widower. She used to be married to one of the many lumber workers in the area. It was a small room, but she was old, quiet, and didn't ask any questions about his whereabouts. Also her eyesight was so bad she never seemed to notice Squeakers if he ran about. Kvit made sure to get a good price for the rent, but didn't try to swindle her.

He packed up his gear and prepared himself for the next day. Fortunately since he normally only stayed in town a few days at a time there wasn't much to pack.

Kvit arrives dressed in his normal bright blue overcoat with his an odd looking walking staff. He didn't appear to carry much else in the way of weapons besides a small dagger at his belt. Squeakers was riding his shoulder instead of hiding out in the coat.

As he arrived he inspected his companions and their choice of gear. Kka at least had weapons. Giyoza had a crossbow at least. He didn't have any apparent weapons really, but he could fling plenty of spells when needed. He had a hard time deciding what to prepare, but settled on a variety as usual.

He greeted everyone present with a not very cheery and certain doom-tinged; "Good morning."

Spent 1x 1st level spell slot to charge staff with 1 charge, which has the shield cantrip and the grease spell. His prepared spells: Cantrips: Acid Splash, Detect Magic, Electric Arc, Light, Message(*), 1st Level: Illusory Object(*), Magic Missile


Slides Loot sheet

Secret stuff:
Stuff: 1d20 ⇒ 2

Wrin breathes a sigh of relief as everyone agrees to her crazy demand. "Thank you all for indulging me. I hope I'm just seeing things and all I've done is waste a midday of your time, but if I'm right..." She fusses with a crease in her dress. "Anyway, I'll await your report and if all goes well, I'll prepare a thank-you meal and we can put this whole thing behind us."

---

The next morning, Wrin looks worried as you all reconvene. "I consulted the stars last night to see if they had any insight in what you would find in the swamps today, but they were uncharacteristically mysterious. I hope it's not an omen as to what you'll encounter.

"Anyway, I gathered some scraps from last night's dinner and combined it into a hearty meal. I hope it'll get you through the day."

She gives you one day's worth of rations.


Male Male CG Gnome/Sylph | HP 32/32| AC 18(19 w/ shield) | F +6 R +8 W +7| speed 25 ft | Perc+5| Hero Point 1/1 | Focus: 1/1 | Spells: 1: 2/4 2:0/3 | Spell DC 19| active condition: | Exploration activity: Detect Magic Sorcerer (Sea Dragon Bloodline) 3
GM Kwinten wrote:

** spoiler omitted **

Wrin breathes a sigh of relief as everyone agrees to her crazy demand. "Thank you all for indulging me. I hope I'm just seeing things and all I've done is waste a midday of your time, but if I'm right..." She fusses with a crease in her dress. "Anyway, I'll await your report and if all goes well, I'll prepare a thank-you meal and we can put this whole thing behind us."

---

The next morning, Wrin looks worried as you all reconvene. "I consulted the stars last night to see if they had any insight in what you would find in the swamps today, but they were uncharacteristically mysterious. I hope it's not an omen as to what you'll encounter.

"Anyway, I gathered some scraps from last night's dinner and combined it into a hearty meal. I hope it'll get you through the day."

She gives you one day's worth of rations.

"Thanks Wrin! That's very nice of you. Also, obtuse stars are better than Stars of certain bad luck, so I'll take it! And thanks again of thinking of me when putting this group together, I've been looking for a way to delve into some of the old ruins that were previously explored by the Roseguard!"

Vigilant Seal

CG Changeling (Human) Fogfen Tale-Teller Fighter / Witch / Sterling Dynamo 6 | ◆◇↺ | Explore: Defend | Backpack: Whispering Reeds
Stats:
AC 24 or 26 shield (hard 6) | Fortitude (+12), Reflex (+11), Will (+11 or +12 vs mental; S > CS vs controlled) | Perception (+11) w/ Lowlight | Speed 20
♥️ 80/80 + 24/24 shield | ☘️ ☑☑☑☑☑, ☑☑☑☑☑, ☑☑☑□ | ✋ Spellguard Shield | Class DC 22 | ☀️ □ |⚕ none | ✝️ Moderate Healing Potion (□)

At Wrin's nigh-casual mention of "uncharacteristically mysterious" constellations, Lough's eyebrows raise in conspicuity and his feet colden.

"Oh uh... maybe we better turn around then!?" eyes wild and darting, he is suddenly unsure about every decision that has lead him to this point!


CN Female Tengu (Tiefling) Rogue/Medic 6 | ♥️ 66/66 | ➕ fire 5 | AC 24 (26 Nimble Dodge) | F+10 R+14 W+13 | Perc +13 (Darkvision) | Speed 35' | Hero 3 | Avoid Notice (Init +15) | ✋+1 Striking Ghost Touch* Shortsword *2 | Status:

Kka rolls her eyes at Wrin's talk of consulting the stars. The Tengu was not a big believer in cartomancy, tasseography, chiromancy or anything that smacked of foretelling the future, and that included Astrology. The future is what you made of it and not something already written somewhere for others to read. So when Wrin mentions that the stars were being mysterious, Kka smiles. "The staars were probably referring to the Gauntlight. If that's not mysterious, then nothing is. Ark ark!"

Taking the food from Wrin, she says, "Thanks for the grub, Wrin. It's bound to taste a whole lot better than the harrrd tack and jerrky I brought with me."

She turns to the group. "Shaall we get going then? The sooner we go, the sooner we get back..." Then, winking at Giyozara, she adds, "... hopefully by dinnertime." And that's when she notices Lough going through another one of his series of tortured grimaces. "Turn around? We haven't even left yet, Lough. Now pull yourself together, man! We're going to need you compos out there."


- LG Fruit Leshy | Cleric 6 | HP 68/68 | AC 21 | F +12 R +10 W +14 | speed 25 ft | Perc +14(lowlight) | Hero Point 2/3 | Focus: 1/1 | Spells: 1: 2/3 2: 3/3 3: 2/3 | Heals: 4/5 | Berry: 1 | Spell DC 22 | active condition: | Exploration activity: Search

"I'm sure the stars are fine Lough, it's the spirits I would worry about."

Cherry nods at the group. "I will need to prepare my blessing before we set out though, I'm currently set-up for lifting-and-moving, not traveling-through-wild-swamp."

Cherry Berry will change their 'town' set (Quick Sort and Mending) to what is currently on their character sheet.

Fortunately, Cherry Berry is otherwise very organized, and has a pack already together with all the essentials a person might need to go on a trip -- or at least, all the essentials Cherry owned.

Vigilant Seal

CG Changeling (Human) Fogfen Tale-Teller Fighter / Witch / Sterling Dynamo 6 | ◆◇↺ | Explore: Defend | Backpack: Whispering Reeds
Stats:
AC 24 or 26 shield (hard 6) | Fortitude (+12), Reflex (+11), Will (+11 or +12 vs mental; S > CS vs controlled) | Perception (+11) w/ Lowlight | Speed 20
♥️ 80/80 + 24/24 shield | ☘️ ☑☑☑☑☑, ☑☑☑☑☑, ☑☑☑□ | ✋ Spellguard Shield | Class DC 22 | ☀️ □ |⚕ none | ✝️ Moderate Healing Potion (□)

Still unsure whether to fully trust his newcomer comrades - let alone the stars! - Lough turns back towards the swamp, makes an effort to control his panicked breathing, and proceeds forth, impelled by some unknown curiosity, and steeled by the support of Kka and Cherry.

"Ok"


Slides Loot sheet

I said I'd wait a little longer, but I have weird insomnia and I need to do something to tire my brain out.

You make your final preparations, say goodbye to Wrin, and head on your way. It's a nearly 30-minute walk to the ruins. It's not that far away, but you're slowed significantly by having to walk through overgrown bushes, through sucking mud, around animal dens and fallen trees, or sometimes a combination thereof.

The sound of frogs and mosquitos mixes with water sloshing against muddy shores, all muffled by the ever‑present mists that linger in the aptly named Fogfen. As the mists clear, a shadow looms from the cloying swamp vapors—a sprawling ruin of stone and wood squats atop an island in the soggy marsh. The upper floors have largely collapsed, leaving only the stone walls of the ground floor intact. Above these ruins towers an out‑of‑place monument—a colossal lighthouse whose painted walls and iron‑cased crown have resisted the corrosive effects of the surrounding swamp.

Most of you have been in the area before, but this is the first time in your life that you've actually seen the Gauntlight alight. True to its namesake, a sickly pale blue light flickers in the cupola, like a dying flame about to extinguish itself, only managing to stay alight through sheer power of will, yet strong enough to be visible from this distance.

I've put you on the map. Feel free to customise your token with cropping and borders if you like. I hope the map is big enough that everything is visible to you. Areas visible from the outside are left uncovered.
Around the southern side, the water is pretty shallow (a.k.a. shallow bog), more to the north it'll be 10-15 feet.
Note: There will be "S"es on the map, as I can't extract those. Paizo seems to have baked secret doors into the same layer as the map itself. I trust that you don't metagame those.


CN Female Tengu (Tiefling) Rogue/Medic 6 | ♥️ 66/66 | ➕ fire 5 | AC 24 (26 Nimble Dodge) | F+10 R+14 W+13 | Perc +13 (Darkvision) | Speed 35' | Hero 3 | Avoid Notice (Init +15) | ✋+1 Striking Ghost Touch* Shortsword *2 | Status:

For Kka, going through the swamps was not as great a hardship as for some. Sure, her hooves tended to sink deeper into the muck, but they came out just as easily, and with no inconvenient shoes to lose in the process. The bugs weren't much of a bother either, what with her coating of feathers to keep them at bay.

Arriving at the Gauntlight was a bit of an anticlimax really. "So this is it? She closes her beak in disappointment <clack>, then turns to the Fogfen Tale-Teller. "Where are all your swaamp monsters hiding, Lough? I was hoping we'd run into one on the waay here." She looks up at the glowing cupola. "Maaybe they're all inside having a paarty or something. Shall we join them?"

Kka then marches up to the doors and looks them over. She looks for any traps and if she finds none, will check to see if the door is locked. Before testing the doors, she pulls out her shortsword and says, "Okaay, here we go. Prepaare yourselves."

Once the doors are open, Kka will look inside the room (darkvision) before entering.

Kka's default exploration mode is Avoid Notice +7 with shortsword in hand. In the absence of modifying instructions, assume this to be the case.

Kka has the Trap Finder feat, which means that she gets a +1 bonus to find traps, to AC against attacks made by traps, and to saves against traps. The trap Searching takes place automatically, regardless of what encounter mode she's using.

Token customized and ready to go. I'm having no trouble dealing with the map. If you zoom out far enough you can see the whole thing. You can then zoom into the spot of interest.

Unless told to roll them, I'm going to assume that any rolls marked as Secret will be rolled by the GM. Let me know if you prefer for us to roll them instead.


N Male Ratfolk (Longsnout) Wizard 6 | HP 42/42 | AC 23 | F +8 R +14 W +12 | Perc +10 (scent 30ft, imprecise) | Stealth +12| Speed 25ft | Focus 1/1 | Exploration: Search | Hero Points: 3

Squeakers rides Kvit's shoulder as they make their way through the underbrush and mud. Kvit grumbles quietly to him: "Ugh, this mud is terrible. It's going to take forever to get out of my fur."

Kvit looks both excited and cautious as they approach the ruins. He's been in plenty of ruins so far, but they had usually been abandoned. He's never been to one where the lights are still on...

He lets Kka and others take the lead towards the ruin while he tries to keep a sharp arcane eye out for interesting items and traces of magic. He casts detect magic around them as they approach. Notably, none of the party seemed to have any magic items on them as he scanned around. They were definitely ill-equipped to handle a ghost sorcerer.

"Remember, this is just a scouting mission, first sign of the sorcerer and we retreat. I'll have no trouble leaving you all behind if we don't stick to the plan. We're not heros."

@GM: Kvit's default exploration mode will be detect magic while Squeakers looks out for danger when possible

@GM: Kvit's perception is low, unless its a magical secret door, he probably won't find it. However he does have scent (imprecise 30ft) and it gives a +2 to perception to notice smelly things. He and Squeakers also has low-light vision, so unless it gets really dark he won't use a light spell.

@Party: At the beginning of combat he will most likely try to delay or hamper the enemies first, especially if they are grouped up. Kvit has two options for delaying or hampering groups of enemies (warped terrain focus spell for difficult terrain and the grease spell to knock prone).

@Paarty: He also has some utility spells like message, detect magic, and light. His best skills are Acrobatics, Arcana, Craft, Roseguard Lore, Occultism, Stealth, and Thievery. So he can help scout or help with obstacles/hazards and he can help ID magic as well..

1 to 50 of 3,416 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Coldwater's Abomination Vaults All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.