[5e] Descent into Avernus

Game Master mishima


2,401 to 2,450 of 3,238 << first < prev | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | next > last >>

AvernusArt 2Grid

You are charmed and must obey commands as described in the Fiendish Charm ability, but otherwise have all your actions. Rerolls aren't automatic, but triggered by damage to YOU. Once made, you become immune for 24 hours.


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Donal curses in a fashion that would make a sailor blush, Don't go running off! Blast that halfling! Grim, let's finish this!

+1 mace: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8 And it begins anew...

The warrior, despite his bravado, cannot make good on his promise and trips on a rock, stumbling a moment but enough to throw off his aim!


AvernusArt 2Grid

Donal has his doubts and struggles to keep his focus between the threat right ahead and the threat deeper in the bush...ultimately foiled by a pyramidal pebble piercing his bootsole. Grim meanwhile summons a divine lance that snakes through thick tree trunks and wide-leafed branches to pursue Simon and the wench...but ultimately the bolt of radiance goes dark, just short of catching its mark. Sorry man, with the shield equipped its AC 23...missed by 1.

Malaric was quick to spur Corsair forward, bounding through the brambles. The mastiff's powerful haunches were easily able to catch up to the girl leading Simon's near-death horse, and take a post of observation at the halfling's leisure...60 ft away, as you say. You can with that roll hear/see what is to come.

Reya stood lockstep with Donal and Grim, it was 3 on 2 now...and the viscious southerners showed no signs of fatigue. The Hellrider could sense the disease-warped hirelings were as much veterans of battle as she was. Matched in experience, she would have to get creative to catch them off-guard...

Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23
Attack, dis Dodge: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7
Multiattack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19
Multiattack, dis Dodge: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15

...she gambled the man's visor was blocking his vision beyond about 45 degrees, attacking from this false-darkness paid off, but the man's armor seemed almost reinforced in that direction to mitigate the risk.

Fisk, like the halfling, pursued Simon and the wench under Donal's order...

Bonus Hide: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18
Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17
Attack, adv hidden: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15

...the bolt being caught by a smiling gemstone face, who quickly chewed the Calishite's steel to molten slag. "Gods damn that evil shield! It's betrayed us all!"

Round 5:
Mal(mounted), Simon(charmed, mounted), Reya, Fisk
Cambion 'n friends <--UP
Donal, Grim


AvernusArt 2Grid

Malaric watched with morbid fascination as the wench led Simon by the bridle deeper into the trees...Simon for his part was completely enraptured, though Mal could sense the confused turmoil broiling inside the noble. "Only a bit farther now..." leading on another 30ft before undergoing a terrible transformation.

The ropes at her wrist slithered around into powerful cords of muscle on the cambion's forearms. The gown raised upwards in a fleshy flap of skin to reveal the hard armored body beneath, before tearing apart with a *splortch* into a pair of black wings. She/he tore her/his face off, revealing the half-fiends' glowing red eyes and ivory grin. "I have many regrets in life..." the devil lamented in a tell-all sob story to Simon, slowly lifting itself off the ground "...not having the time to properly torture you, while convincing you to love every minute of it, is one of them. I suppose you'll just have to kill yourself. Go ahead." The cambion (bearing the Shield of the Hidden Lord) appears to rout into the twilight sky.

Simon, having just now received a suicidal command, you get to reroll the save (again with advantage). Failure means you are still Fiendishly Charmed and must attempt suicide...same DC 14.

Simon is now 60ft into trees from the road. Cambion, having just Dashed, is another 60ft beyond above the trees. Malaric is within 120 ft of the cambion.


AvernusArt 2Grid

Back in the melee, Starface and Nonose angle their stance somewhat. "Bird and stone..." one of them says, as their tactics seem to suddenly shift. Nonose continues with an intercepting defense, while Starface goes full attack...

Target Alpha: 1d3 ⇒ 3 ==Reya

Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6
Multiattack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
Short: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19
Dmg: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6

...sneaking the small blade into Reya's shoulder, piercing the leather paldron straps.

Reya, Donal, Grim all within melee of the 2 remaining men. Nonose has taken the Dodge action.

Round 5:
Mal(mounted), Simon(charmed, mounted), Reya, Fisk
Cambion 'n friends
Donal, Grim <--UP

Reya 44/58


AvernusArt 2Grid
Grim wrote:

The moves to work with Donal, and attacks the next foe, guided by his knack for combat.

Bonus Attack: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22 for 1d8 + 4 + 1d4 ⇒ (3) + 4 + (2) = 9

Grim this attack was also at disadvantage, due to the man taking the Dodge action. Please give me one more attack roll, AC 17. Also its a 1d6 for the Battle Bros damage, not 1d4.


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Donal aims at the one not dodging, swinging at his head!

+1 mace: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21
Damage w/ Battle Brother training: 1d6 + 4 + 1d6 ⇒ (3) + 4 + (2) = 9


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5
GM Infinity wrote:

Donal has his doubts and struggles to keep his focus between the threat right ahead and the threat deeper in the bush...ultimately foiled by a pyramidal pebble piercing his bootsole. Grim meanwhile summons a divine lance that snakes through thick tree trunks and wide-leafed branches to pursue Simon and the wench...but ultimately the bolt of radiance goes dark, just short of catching its mark. Sorry man, with the shield equipped its AC 23...missed by 1.

Did my sword attack hit?


AvernusArt 2Grid
Quote:
Grim this attack was also at disadvantage, due to the man taking the Dodge action. Please give me one more attack roll, AC 17. Also its a 1d6 for the Battle Bros damage, not 1d4.

That was in regard to the sword attack, roll above a 10 on a second d20 and the answer is yes. Roll d6 if so.


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

1d20 ⇒ 7 well... poo.


Halfling Dragonslayer | HP: 33/34 | 0/1d8 & 0d6 | Disguise 1/1 | Camo 2/3 | Recover 0/3 | Fast Rit 1/1 |1st 3/4 | 2nd 1/3 | Inspiration!
Stats:
AC 15 | Str -1 Dex +6 Con +2 Int +7 Wis +1 Cha -1 | Init +3 | Perc +7, Darkvision 120 ft | Insight +1

Seeing the devil flying away beyond his dragonslaying range, Malaric dashes toward his noble companion who appears to be under a compulsion to kill himself.

Move, Dash and Help Simon break the enchantment, if he gets a free Move from his mount


m LE half-elf Warlock 5 | HP 47/47, THP 0/8 | AC 14 | Saves: Str 0, Dex +2, Con +2, Int +1, Wis +3, Cha +7 | Perc 10 | Init +2 | DV60' | HD 0/5 | Inspiration - | Talisman 2/3 | Spells 1/2 | Invis -, Spray + | Cloak - | -

Wis: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19 Wis: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11

Rage distorts Simon's face. Never, never in his life had he been so humiliated. He had never been so furious before.

Deception/Intimidation/Persuasion: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22

You're a coward and a weakling! You're running away cowardly, unable to take a real fight. You are not worthy of this shield, and He knows it, He sees it, He will grind you to powder! Come back and fight, you jerk!! (let's add a few more particularly sharp insults here, which we don't want to see here in text, and then multiply the offensiveness by another 2 times)

Then Simon takes out a Pearl of Power and in one movement drinks magic from there.

My intention is to provoke him to fight, at least a little bit.


AvernusArt 2Grid

Grim to go for Round 5 actions. Grim, the one without a nose Dodged but the other Donal is concentrating on is going full offense (and can be attacked without penalty).


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

Grim works to take down Donals attacker!

1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15 for 1d8 + 4 + 1d6 ⇒ (2) + 4 + (5) = 11... alas, it bounces off armour.

He feels the call of battle again and swings again.

1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26 for 1d8 + 4 + 1d6 ⇒ (6) + 4 + (6) = 16... and this time it cuts past his enemies guard and into his foes head! 1d8 ⇒ 6 and 1d6 ⇒ 2 = 24 pts.


AvernusArt 2Grid

Donal smarts the smirking southerner with a quick blunt headcracker, but of course there was more to the warrior's training than simple opportunistic strikes. In truth, it was a cunning play the battle duo called 'delta strike'...the relatively minor smack setting Grim up for nearly a coup de grace, slashing a devastating wound across the plagued man's pockmarked face. 33 total from Battle Bros this round.

Malaric spurred Corsair forward to help Simon, just as the noble was finally coming out of whatever trance the devil had seeded inside him. With a sharp, abrasive call upwards concealing the pearl's power in his pocket, the routing cambion turned with a smirk...Successfully provoked.

Reya tried her best to match the prowess of the party...

Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7
Multiattack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18
Dmg: 1d10 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10

...executing a rather effortless cross-slash further wounding the nearly defeated man.

Fisk took cover farther back in the bush, not liking the smirk on the cambion's face...Bonus Hide: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11

Round 5:
Mal(mounted), Simon(mounted), Reya, Fisk
Cambion 'n friends <--UP
Donal, Grim

Starface 10/58 hp, 17 AC
Nonose 58/58 hp, 17 AC
Cambion ??/??


AvernusArt 2Grid

"You're right..." the cambion sarcastically called down "...this isn't a real fight." The maw in the shield parting like a jeweled cloud...opening a gateway into a hellish storm. A single mote of energy descended and the spirit of every leaf and wind shrieked silently in horror...

Fireball: 8d6 ⇒ (4, 5, 5, 3, 1, 1, 3, 4) = 26 Dex Save DC 21 for half (Simon and Malaric)

...it was hard to notice the creature ascend another great distance towards the stars. Fireball'ed and flew upwards another 60ft, so now at total distance 120 from Mal and Simon.

Dex Save(Simon's horse): 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (19) + 0 = 19
Dex Save(Malaric's mastiff, Corsair): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9

Malaric and Simon are thrown to the burning forest floor as both of their mounts die instantly from the blast. Simon's horse, already on death's door, simply seemed to give up...slouching onto its front knees before its head buckled to the side with tongue sloppily falling out. Corsair must've suffered little, giving only a brief screechy *bark!* before going silent and motionless forever. You can spend a reaction to land on your feet.


AvernusArt 2Grid

"Stone and bird..." the remaining fighters on the ground called to each other. Now the roles were reversed, the offensive became defensive and vice versa.

Int(history) DC 10:
Yes, they do know the Stone and Bird. This well known tactic hailed from the early days of Amn's unification period, the so-called Selemchant Skirmish. One warrior at watchful rest as the other blazes, swapping rapidly, could boost 2 fighter's endurances beyond what they would be individually. Of course, the origin of the maneuver is less romantic...for in truth it was inspired by a merchant lord's misery. Their debt was paid if they survived the campaign short of men, and were never expected to make it. Instead they developed a brand new military tactic that was well respected across the realms.

Int(history) DC 15 or higher:
In addition to the above, you realize they are utilizing this tactic at this moment for a specific reason...to stall you as long as possible.

Target Alpha: 1d3 ⇒ 3
Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21
Dmg: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6
Multiattack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23
Dmg: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10
Short: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7

*hurG fffk* Reya took another few hits to her small frame, huffing in disgust. She was tough but not invincible, you might wonder how long she'll last. But there's still that brightness to her eye, a commitment she is compelled to obey. It was the only path for her that made sense...and these fighters could not match her resolve.

Reya 31/58

All up.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

I know this is probably for the dramatic effect, but does the cambion need to attune to the shield to use that ability?


AvernusArt 2Grid

Good point thanks. Ignore ball of so-called fire above...

...the cambion points two fingers, and a jagged V of flame sprouts two fiery missiles that streak downwards at the noble and cur...

Fire Ray: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21
Fire Dmg: 3d6 ⇒ (4, 5, 4) = 13
Fire Ray: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16
Fire Dmg: 3d6 ⇒ (5, 6, 1) = 12

...killing both their mounts instantly and etc as above.


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Sorry, not to back-seat DM... ;)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
AvernusArt 2Grid

Please, keep doing it. I get irritated reading back some stuff sometimes and realizing the oops. ;) In my defense I'd say its down a bit, maybe one major blunder a week?


m LE half-elf Warlock 5 | HP 47/47, THP 0/8 | AC 14 | Saves: Str 0, Dex +2, Con +2, Int +1, Wis +3, Cha +7 | Perc 10 | Init +2 | DV60' | HD 0/5 | Inspiration - | Talisman 2/3 | Spells 1/2 | Invis -, Spray + | Cloak - | -

Simon rolls on the ground, jumping off a fallen horse.

Damn coward!

Eldritch Blast: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 131d10 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10 


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

Anvil up Donal!, he wheels to continue attacking the wounded one...

1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21 or 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25 w/ disadvantage

For 1d8 + 4 + 1d6 ⇒ (7) + 4 + (5) = 16


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

His blade crunches satisfyingly into the gap between the throat and breastplate and drops the Mercenary.

Scotch that, break off and get out out your bow!, he yells, a note of triumph in his voice.


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Donal looks at the remaining, ugly bastard and spits, Join your dead friend or leave. Your choice. Not trying to be intimidating, just offering a choice before moving to finish the man.

If he doesn't run (fanatic), Donal will ready an action to knock him prone after Nonose makes a decision.


AvernusArt 2Grid

The man without a nose cared little for Donal's choice, leaving the Tormtar to wonder just how much the southerner was here of his own making. Regardless, flee he would not...and Donal's threat was backed up by action.

Contested vs Donal: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6 groovy

Malaric to go.


Halfling Dragonslayer | HP: 33/34 | 0/1d8 & 0d6 | Disguise 1/1 | Camo 2/3 | Recover 0/3 | Fast Rit 1/1 |1st 3/4 | 2nd 1/3 | Inspiration!
Stats:
AC 15 | Str -1 Dex +6 Con +2 Int +7 Wis +1 Cha -1 | Init +3 | Perc +7, Darkvision 120 ft | Insight +1

"Corsair! My poor boy." malaric had jumped off his mount as it killed beneath him. The dragonslayer vowed personal revenge on that cambion, slow and painful.

To vent his anger, he moved back toward the melee loading his crossbow. He takes aim and squeezes the trigger.

crossbow and sneak: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 71d8 + 3 + 1d6 ⇒ (8) + 3 + (1) = 12


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Athletics: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21 Donal slams into the ugly veteran with his shield, knocking him off his feet! Grim, Strike now!

Assuming that he is still Dodging, Grim should be able to swing with normal (Advantage cancelling Disadvantage)...


AvernusArt 2Grid

With his companion dropped and the Amnish tactic broken, Nonose felt his center-of-gravity shift far behind him, toppling over uncontrollably with a hard slam on the dirt road. Grim wasted no time delivering a devastating downward thrust that sheared through the metal splints like a lumberjack cutting wood for winter. -16

Malaric ran back as fast as his halfling feet could carry him, which wasn't very far. He and Simon had been led deep off road, so the crossbow had a hard time making it back to the melee. Simon was less willing to give up the devil, sending a crackling burst of Bel's gift into the twilight.

Reya followed Grim's lead and bit at Nonose with a few opportunistic strikes...

Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15
Attack, adv prone: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23
Dmg: 1d10 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13
Multiattack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21
Multiattack, adv prone: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12
Dmg: 1d10 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

...delivering a painful blow right at the man's rotator cuff on the left arm. Fisk was meanwhile sneaking around the wagon with one eye on the skies, taking another potshot into the melee...

Bonus Hide: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16
Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8

Nonose 24/58 hp, 17 AC (prone)
Cambion ??/??

Enemies up.


AvernusArt 2Grid

The cambion joined the Hidden Lord's laughter as both the animals were slaughtered, but the cutting sound quickly faded as the shapeshifting creature flew away to the south. Dashing again to put another 120ft between you (it is elevated 60 ft vertically, and 120ft horizontally). Essentially it has escaped. Although the shield was sadly taken for now, you'll get a chance to have it back soon. That was an unlucky wisdom save loss with advantage. Not the end of the shield story, I promise.

Nonose struggled to keep hold of his shortblade after the attacks of Grim and Reya. Then, surprisingly, with a smirk he let his longblade go too. Holding up his hands as if in surrender, that soon changed to a gripping of his wounded belly as he laughed "Heheh...its already been done I wager. Remember my face, pigs. It'll soon be yours!" hocking a major loogey and spitting at the party.

You can kill or capture him at this point, ending the combat. However, those that were in melee with the diseased southerners (Grim, Donal, Reya) need constitution saving throws against DC 13 please.

Reya save: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

Con: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18

Surprised I passed

You appear singularly unrepentant for one in league with devils. Tell us where he is headed and we may be merciful, he says, not knowing of any disease Unless it's obvious


AvernusArt 2Grid
Quote:
a trio of southern men spring forth out of the hay, snarling with diseased looking faces...The diseased looking brute men swarm Donal and Reya...One with a star-shaped pattern of broken, oozing pustules on its face...buddy with a bloody mess where a nose should be...a large boil the size of a cat between his jaw and shoulder

Grim, yes, they all appear clearly diseased. Roll medicine if you want to make a deeper diagnosis.


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

Med + 3: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17


m LE half-elf Warlock 5 | HP 47/47, THP 0/8 | AC 14 | Saves: Str 0, Dex +2, Con +2, Int +1, Wis +3, Cha +7 | Perc 10 | Init +2 | DV60' | HD 0/5 | Inspiration - | Talisman 2/3 | Spells 1/2 | Invis -, Spray + | Cloak - | -

Simon looks absolutely depressed and doesn't say anything. He thinks for a minute or two, then goes to the surrendered. Where can I find this freak, eh?! Tell me or I'll kill you SLOWLY!! Drool flies in all directions during his screams. On the one hand, it looks pathetic. On the other hand, those he shouts at have no doubt - in his hysteria he will really kill them.

Intimidation: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26 - Yep, he will absolutely kill 'em


AvernusArt 2Grid

Grim, given their dress and accent, you start to run through the list of ailments known to be threats south of the Cloud Peaks. Each of the three men seem to suffer a different malady.

Given the large, now punctured boil on one of the men's necks you're certain its Bluerot. Typically Bluerot's primary source are the bites of undead that drowned before they turned, however if a victim is able to return to civilization from such an encounter the disease can just as easily be spread among the living. In addition to the unsightliness of the boils, longer term infections tend to sap vitality charisma and constitution ability point loss. Ironically, some claim the infected gain the ability to breathe underwater.

A closer look at the man with the star-shaped pustules reveals they are full of blood, not pus. This causes you to recoil from your inspection, because this is a symptom of the terrifying ailment known as Slimy Doom. On the material plane, this is a rare disease because its cause is ultimately abyssal parasites that take the victim as host. However, it can be inflicted outside of hell by certain dark magics. The pustules bleed continuously and can't be stopped, even with the strongest tourniquet. The lack of blood of course causes great weakness of body con checks and saves at disadvantage, and directly striking the pustules causes an incredibly disorienting pain stunned on attack.

For the still living man without a nose, you land on Flesh Rot...called Mummy Rot in the south. Sinister magic spells are the more common source of this affliction than actually being touched by a mummy. As the name implies, the condition causes living tissue to slowly blacken and wither (typically starting with the extremities) eventually sloughing off painfully. An unsightly appearance results, combined with a susceptibility to damage. charisma disadv and dmg vulnerability Left untreated, it is always fatal.

Finally, all three of the men seem to have had these diseases for much longer than typical...some of their symptoms amplified or magnified, while other symptoms reduced or nullified. Perhaps the cambion was altering or extending their natural course for some purpose.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
AvernusArt 2Grid

Under the combined pressure of Grim and Simon, Nonose grins and whispers something inaudible, motioning Simon closer...

Simon:
"I'm already dying a slow death, Eltan. Aerox strides across the planes like you or I stride through open doors. You'll never find him. Even if you could reach Avernus, you would be torn apart by the roving warlords and their infernal machines. *cough spit* You'd be lost in the poisonous wastes before ever finding Fort Knucklebone..." Simon if you knelt in to read this spoiler, roll constitution save DC 13.


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Con save: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25


AvernusArt 2Grid

Not much loot-wise other than their arms and armor. There is also the hay wagon full of delicious hay, 2 draft horses, and a pitchfork the cambion rode in on. Feel free to continue the scene with Nonose. If you have already passed the disease save you don't need to make another while looting or anything else. When ready...

With a hit to their pride and the last rays of sunlight painting a shadowy black and red in the west, there is nothing remaining for the party but to head to the Friendly Arm Inn (See art slide 1). Fisk pointed out the tall black-stone fortress, a few distant windows glowing warm red rectangles with torchlight "Yeah, looks foreboding I guess, but trust me...one of the best of the Sword Coast. Volo gave it 5 pipes, you know. Used to be an old stronghold of Bhaal...gnomes took it over if you can believe it."

As the trees cleared for the final approach, it was clear this 'inn' was really more of a walled hamlet. The winding road followed a tall crenellated wall encircling a number of smaller buildings: houses, stables, and even a temple as Fisk explained. The dominating castle-like structure at the center looked able to house, feed, and keep safe a great number of travelers all at once. With such fortifications in place, it seemed much less of a folly to run an inn here in such dangerous territory.

Pulling up to the gatehouse drawbridge, a fat bellied guard is there to explain the laws. Notably he isn't affiliated with the Flaming Fist, unlike nearly every other station in the area. "Welcome, welcome! The Arm's neutral ground, travelers. We don't expect less than utmost civility to our guests, and you'll get the same in return. Now you'll need to check your weapons with the quartermaster...and if any of you be spellcasters you'll have to tie a thumb to your belt in peacebond." he pauses a moment to gauge your reaction, looking for any signs of protestations or discontent.


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Donal kicks the man onto his back and kneels across his throat, That does not dictate surrender. If you had surrendered unconditionally, I may have let you live.

The intent is that Donal is going to pin him to the ground and bring the mace down on his head again and again, unless someone else stops him. It is clear that Donal takes no pleasure in this, but seems to feel that it is his duty. They are a threat to be removed. If you want me to roll it out, or any of the PCs wants to stop me, feel free.


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

At the inn, Donal checks his weapons at the door, while gauging the trustworthiness of these gnomes...

Insight: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15


AvernusArt 2Grid

At the gate...

Donal:
The guard is certainly just doing his duty, and means no harm or offense. Glancing past the guard and into the courtyard, you see a very clean and tidy organization indeed. Rows of well-tended flowers and fresh cut grass partition quaint homes of the western islander style. A large swathe of farmland lay inside the walls, so orderly it seems designed by a mathematician. The stables are brightly lit and smell of hay rather than untended animal waste. Quite a number of people are chattering about, leisurely enjoying each other's company or browsing the few merchant stalls that line the ramp to the inn proper.

While not a true gnome enclave, the ratio of that folk is quite bit higher than you might be used to in Baldur's Gate. Your thoughts go to trickery of course, but they are soon put to rest as you note the large gold nugget adorning the temple...the symbol of the Priceless Gem, the Joker...the Sparkling Wit. Yes, the lawful good god of gnomes Garl Glittergold. That a band of gnomes could wrestle this fortress from the hands of Bhaal is rather impressive, and something of a testament to their way of life. The temple appears very well funded and likely has all the services you can possibly imagine.

You do note one thing rather odd. A beautiful young blonde wench dressed much like the cambion from before carries a large barrel of wastewater and cuttings to a pig trough. It isn't so much her familiar dress that catches your attention, but rather her movements are so rickety and bizarre...not fluid or graceful in the slightest. It couldn't be true that the wenches here are actually iron golems in disguise as Fisk earlier suggested...


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Donal hands his weapons over as he nudges Grim, nodding toward the blonde wench, Odd, eh? Anyway, we should be safe here, for the most part. It seems that this place is under the watchful eye of a Good gnomish god.


Halfling Dragonslayer | HP: 33/34 | 0/1d8 & 0d6 | Disguise 1/1 | Camo 2/3 | Recover 0/3 | Fast Rit 1/1 |1st 3/4 | 2nd 1/3 | Inspiration!
Stats:
AC 15 | Str -1 Dex +6 Con +2 Int +7 Wis +1 Cha -1 | Init +3 | Perc +7, Darkvision 120 ft | Insight +1

Malaric Dragonslayer just shrugs when Donal pulverizes the henchman, standing far enough away to avoid being infected.

He hops on to wagon for the last distance to Inn. Along the way, he searches the hay for anything hidden.
Investigation: 1d20 ⇒ 11

Reacting to the guard, the halfling replies, "seriously?" He lets Fisk and Reya go before him, checking weapons and peace-bonding his thumb if that's what it takes.


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

Grim consents to both conditions, but cautions the gnomes, Take extra care for this blades safety. It is something of a minor relic for the Lord of Spires and his followers.


m LE half-elf Warlock 5 | HP 47/47, THP 0/8 | AC 14 | Saves: Str 0, Dex +2, Con +2, Int +1, Wis +3, Cha +7 | Perc 10 | Init +2 | DV60' | HD 0/5 | Inspiration - | Talisman 2/3 | Spells 1/2 | Invis -, Spray + | Cloak - | -

Before... apparently something interesting.

Con Save: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

In any case, Simon enjoys watching Donal do his job. His face has already assumed the calm and haughty features characteristic of an aristocrat, but there is still hatred burning in his eyes, a thirst for revenge for humiliation and something else...

_____

Do they even know that for some spells, just words are enough? - Simon says in a whisper.

He will enter the last of the whole group, show the guard his ring with the seal of the noble house and wave a letter with a pedigree in front of his nose. All this in order to convince the guard that he is an "Ordinary Nobleman" and not a spell caster.

Bluff: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19


AvernusArt 2Grid

Back on the road...

Simon, as you watch Donal pummel the man to death, you feel a warm trickle of mucus run down your upper lip...and can't help but sniffle. Simon, you gain the poisoned condition (disadv ability checks and attack rolls) as the disease threatens your immune system. You now must make 3 successful saves before 3 fails, against the same Con Save DC 13, or suffer the full effects of Flesh Rot (charisma check disadvantage and vulnerability to damage) for 7 days. For RP purposes, these checks essentially happen on the way to the gatehouse.

Since you are using a charisma check at the gatehouse, I'll wait to see the results of the saving throws before narrating there for you. For you other healthy people, post incoming...


AvernusArt 2Grid

At the Friendly Arm

At the halfling's comment, the guard nods knowingly "A small price to pay for a guaranteed nights rest. We've not had incident within the walls since the attempted assassination against a child of Bhaal some hundred years past. Have you been traveling long? Surely you've earned it, young master."

Sleight of Hand: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15

Malaric watches Reya and Fisk acquiesce, the spy giving the halfling a goofy grin as something heavy slides down the inside of his pant leg into his boot...a dagger no doubt. The guard doesn't seem to notice the betrayal of law.Grim's passive sees him conceal the weapon as well.

When Grim mentions the blade's significance, the guard makes his best at a promise "It will be thrice under lock and key, and guarded day and night, good sire. I admit, in our history, one item has gone missing...a powerful wizard's ring called Evermemory. They reckon it rolled out a mouse hole and ended up outside the walls somewhere, but none ever found the tiny thing...probably magics were afoot, not a lack of security. But your blade's a holy relic, you say? Are you here for leisure, respite, or do you seek audience with the temple's Glitterbrights? Ah, well, pardon me for being nosey...only curious."


Halfling Dragonslayer | HP: 33/34 | 0/1d8 & 0d6 | Disguise 1/1 | Camo 2/3 | Recover 0/3 | Fast Rit 1/1 |1st 3/4 | 2nd 1/3 | Inspiration!
Stats:
AC 15 | Str -1 Dex +6 Con +2 Int +7 Wis +1 Cha -1 | Init +3 | Perc +7, Darkvision 120 ft | Insight +1

Malaric checks his weapons with the guard. The scene reminiscent of Mad Max arriving at Barter Town


AvernusArt 2Grid

When ready to move on from the gate...

After checking your (surviving) animals and vehicles with the stables, you stroll past a number of merchant stalls peddling mostly novelty items of obvious Luskan origin. Optical prisms painting rainbows in thin air, a back that scratches itself, upside-down sand castles...not to mention the crusty rolls of abandoned blueprints for any number of wacky, impractical ideas. Yet none bear the seal of approval from the arcano-mechanical church of Gond. They seem to be for entertainment purposes only. The merchants themselves are friendly and do not press upon you.

The Temple of Wisdom nearby stands open and ready to receive any and all. Even the small gap in the door reveals a near infinity of colors and splendor inside, certainly the most lavishly decorated temple you've encountered.

Like any normal small hamlet, there's people to pickpocket or houses to burglarize as well if you feel like some good ol' thievery.

But perhaps you are road weary, and seek simple comforts rather than holy assurances. You would climb the steep rampart leading into the massive Friendly Arm Inn.

Inside, a lively and diverse crowd enjoy meals of pumpernickel bread, sour cream, fried sweet potatoes, and what appears to be mutton. The tankards are overflowing with lagers, ales, and stronger spirits on tap. Some are engaged with a dart game of some sort down a long cordoned side area...while those of a more serious sort linger and talk business in the dark balcony seating area.

Simon is immediately shocked to the core to see the very wench from before absent mindedly serving a plate to a rather obese Damaran and their drow companion.

Eventually the Innskeeper waves you over, a gnomish man with a third mechanical arm coming out the center of his chest...which currently holds a steaming boiled carrot "Greetings, I am your host, Schnartank Turfsurvey! I should hope you would stay with us tonight? Allow me to brief you on what we have to offer..."

There are basically 4 types of lodgings for different prices: peasant (1sp), merchant(8sp), noble(4gp), and royal(10gp). Noble and royal will grant a bonus to HD recharge, allowing you more than the usual half to regenerate (+1 or +2 respectively). Peasant comes with yesterdays leftover meals and one stale ale, and the 'room' is actually a common sleeping area. Royal is the penthouse suite with full luxuries, a personal masseuse, free armor cleaning, all you can eat buffet, etc. Merchant and Noble are in between.


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Donal only burned one 1 HD, I think (unless I forgot to update after the last one) but he will take the merchant room. He is not a frivolous kind of guy.

Well met, 'Tank. I'll take a Merchant's Room, but I am sure my friends will want something more... comfortable, Donal places a stack of silvers on the bar for his room. I'd like a hot meal and a tankard of Amnian Stout.

2,401 to 2,450 of 3,238 << first < prev | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / [5e] Descent into Avernus Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.