[5e] Descent into Avernus

Game Master mishima


2,351 to 2,400 of 3,193 << first < prev | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | next > last >>

AvernusArt 2Grid

Donal brushes past the farmer and his hay, eager to follow the smell of bread and clean women in the air. The farmer seems to have other plans however, as the illusion falls and it is revealed to be no farmer at all...but rather a winged devil of the hells that rises into the air and fists crackle with darkfire! "tsk tsk tsk...where are your manners?" the thing quipped sarcastically, delighted to fight to the death.

Religion 12:
This creature appears to be a cambion, half breed of devil (typically a succubus or incubus) and man. It is very rare to find one that isn't wicked to the core.

At the same time, a trio of southern men spring forth out of the hay, snarling with diseased looking faces and wielding long blades...

Simon:
"Ah, so the time has come...they found us. These are my previous bearers I mentioned. Hmm. How fascinating. Yes, I believe I shall step out for this one, let us see who the victor is and who is most deserving." and with that, the constant mental stress of the Hidden Lord abruptly went quiet...the very feel of the shield went cold. No benefits/uses from shield for this fight, although it is still a normal shield. The devil giveth and the devil taketh away.

Inits:

Donal: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9
Evendur: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (1) + 0 = 1
Malaric: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12Mal, warning: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22
Simon: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19
Fisk: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16
Reya: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19
Cambion 'n friends: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9

Round 1:
Mal, Simon, Reya, Fisk <--UP
Cambion 'n friends
Donal, Grim

Donal is right next to the farmers wagon. Others are within 30 ft. The cambion is roughly 25 ft off the ground. Reminder dismounting costs half your movement, should you take that option.


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Religion: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

Yer an ugly one, ain't ya? Donal growls...


Halfling Dragonslayer | HP: 33/34 | 0/1d8 & 0d6 | Disguise 1/1 | Camo 2/3 | Recover 0/3 | Fast Rit 1/1 |1st 3/4 | 2nd 1/3 | Inspiration!
Stats:
AC 15 | Str -1 Dex +6 Con +2 Int +7 Wis +1 Cha -1 | Init +3 | Perc +7, Darkvision 120 ft | Insight +1

Religion: 1d20 ⇒ 12

The halfling recognizes the half-devil in front of them and rips off a spell targeting the Cambion. "Oh, hello. There's a mistake here. We're close friends and allies. We've come to get an update of your situation here."

Suggestion DC 13 Wis. Spend 3 Sorcery points for * Heightened Spell When you cast a spell that forces a creature to make a saving throw to resist its effects, you can spend 3 sorcery points to give one target of the spell disadvantage on its first saving throw made against the spell.


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

Religion: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17

Despite his field of study falling more on the undead side of things, he still recognises the devil spawn for what it is...

Will post action later in initiative


AvernusArt 2Grid

Mal, with the cambion flying 25 ft off the ground, and you 30ft away horizontally, you would need to advance at minimum 14 ft on Corsair to get range for Suggestion. (25^2+16^2)^0.5=29.7. Assuming that is ok...

Wisdom Save: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19
Wisdom Save, disadvantage: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9

Pointing his spear at Simon "Yes, here is your update: the situation is that one possesses something that belongs to us. We are not leaving without it. Hmm, allies? I see. You were returning it to us." answering Malaric's inquiry dutifully.

The other three men do not seem nonplussed, nor deterred.

Simon to go.


m LE half-elf Warlock 5 | HP 47/47, THP 0/8 | AC 14 | Saves: Str 0, Dex +2, Con +2, Int +1, Wis +3, Cha +7 | Perc 10 | Init +2 | DV60' | HD 0/5 | Inspiration - | Talisman 2/3 | Spells 2/2 | Invis -, Spray + | Cloak - | -

Oh, you bastard... It doesn't seem to be addressed to the devil. No, not you. However, you too. He says the last words already looking at the creature.

Religion: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (14) + 12 = 26 - can I guess if he sees the invisible?

Charming, a bastard of bastards and a butt of lustful demons, threatening me, a nobleman from the very best house of Baldur's Gate? Simon's eyebrows converge, he points his finger and imperiously says "get the hell out."

Command, Flee, DC 15 Wisdom

Then Simon moves so that Don and Grim are at least between сambion's friends and the nobleman himself.


AvernusArt 2Grid

Simon, for future, Command is one word. So 'get the hell out' wouldn't work. We'll roll with it this time. ;)

Just as the cambion was snapping out of the sorcerer's suggestion, another mental attack was thrown its way in the form of a diabolical command...

Wis vs Simon: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 = 14

...and with a puff of its wings, the creature prepared to take flight into the forest. Sensing an opening the spy flipped backwards out of the wagon, taking cover...

Bonus Hide: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9

...only to emerge on the opposite side. What the spy didn't realize however, was from the cambion's height he was clearly visible the entire time. The devil saw the bolt coming...

Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17

...and the tiny quarrel soared off into the early twilight.

Meanwhile Reya hopped down from the wagon, regretting the loss of her steed, and rushed forward on foot...on halfling feet, that is, making her charge much less impressive.

Round 1:
Mal, Simon, Reya, Fisk
Cambion 'n friends <--UP
Donal, Grim


AvernusArt 2Grid

Simon, to answer your question on invis, with that roll you would know cambions tend to have the same darkvision as their infernal parents. Nothing about them naturally grants an ability to foil magical invisibility, but of course there are many items and other ways a creature could gain such.


AvernusArt 2Grid

The diseased looking brute men swarm Donal and Reya, as the cambion flees out of sight over the treeline.

One with a star-shaped pattern of broken, oozing pustules on its face engages Donal, stabbing and slashing upwards at the mounted warrior...

Longsword1: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15
Longsword2: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20
Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
Shortsword: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18 Without shield, hits 17
Damage: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8

...gashing the Tormtar across the thigh. His buddy with a bloody mess where a nose should be comes from the other side with a similar attack...

Longsword1: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15
Longsword2: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17
Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11
Shortsword: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17
Damage: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4

...the vicious barbed blades finding every gap in the adamantine armor.

The last of the trio circles Reya's guarded stance, a large boil the size of a cat between his jaw and shoulder...

Longsword1: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14
Longsword1, dis Dodge: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23
Longsword2: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
Longsword2, dis Dodge: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14
Shortsword: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23
Shortsword, dis Dodge: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23
Damage: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4

...and for a time the hellrider fought gloriously, parrying and deflecting the worst of the man's maneuvers. At last though the defense was broken with a dirty trick, a burst of dirt kicked into the halfling's face allowing a quick thrust of his off-hand.

Donal 3/37 hp
Reya 54/58

Round 1:
Mal, Simon, Reya, Fisk
Cambion 'n friends
Donal, Grim <--UP

Reya and Donal(mounted) are nearly side by side and engaged with the 3 men near the enemy wagon. Fisk is farthest back at the party wagon 30 ft, with everyone else in between. Malaric is about halfway in between. Reminder everyone but Reya and Fisk is still mounted, and dismounting costs half movement. Cambion has disappeared over the trees and will not be targetable.

Donal and Grim will finish Round 1. Others may go ahead and post for top of Round 2.


Halfling Dragonslayer | HP: 33/34 | 0/1d8 & 0d6 | Disguise 1/1 | Camo 2/3 | Recover 0/3 | Fast Rit 1/1 |1st 3/4 | 2nd 1/3 | Inspiration!
Stats:
AC 15 | Str -1 Dex +6 Con +2 Int +7 Wis +1 Cha -1 | Init +3 | Perc +7, Darkvision 120 ft | Insight +1

"Cambion! My companions and I only defend us from your companions. However, my companions and I are still your allies who you should not attack!" Malaric Dragonslayer calls out while loading his crossbow.

He takes aim at one in melee with Donal and triggers a bolt.

crossbow: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 141d8 + 3 + 1d6 ⇒ (1) + 3 + (3) = 7

Concentrate on the Suggestion


AvernusArt 2Grid
Quote:
the spell ends when the subject finishes what it was asked to do.

Mal, sorry for not explaining my reasoning with your spell. Suggestion ends when the affected creature completes its task. Your given action for it to complete was for it to provide 'an update on the situation', which it did. The spell then ended.


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

Didnt we get a short rest between events and rolls? Donal is still wounded or newly wounded?


AvernusArt 2Grid

Yes, he just took 31 new damage from the nasties...


m LE half-elf Warlock 5 | HP 47/47, THP 0/8 | AC 14 | Saves: Str 0, Dex +2, Con +2, Int +1, Wis +3, Cha +7 | Perc 10 | Init +2 | DV60' | HD 0/5 | Inspiration - | Talisman 2/3 | Spells 2/2 | Invis -, Spray + | Cloak - | -

Simon creates illusory copies of himself, so it is not possible to distinguish where exactly the real warlock is (mirror image).


AvernusArt 2Grid

Donal and Grim to go.


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Donal growls donning his shield, We won't last at this rate. Grim, move into formation!

Assuming that Grim is not already within 5 feet of one of my enemies. Action, don shield. Action Surge, Dodge Action. Bonus, Second Wind.

Second Wind: 1d10 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10

hp 13/37; AC 19; attacks against me have Disadvantage, and I have advantage on Dex saves.


AvernusArt 2Grid

Don, would you like your horse to Dash, Disengage, or Dodge? Or would you like to dismount?


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Donal will dismount. I figure that my job is to draw fire...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
AvernusArt 2Grid

Just Grim remaining, might still be sick so will bot in 24 hours.


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

I thought I posted yesterday. Apologies

Healing word 2nd level on Donal 2d4 + 3 ⇒ (3, 1) + 3 = 7 and Toll the dead on the Cambrion DC13Wis: 1d12 ⇒ 6


AvernusArt 2Grid

Donal fearlessly dismounts in the middle of a melee storm, as the healing wind of his martial mate returns even more of his vitality. Grim divides his attention between healing and harming, calling the tolling of the death bell on one of the other fighters...

Grim, the cambion is out of sight, being told to flee by Simon it flew way over the treeline. Will go for damaged enemy fighter instead.

Wis vs Grim: 1d20 ⇒ 17

Mal's bolt streaks past the caravan and glances off the enemy fighter's splint mail...although the men seem chronically diseased their arms and armor have suffered far less rot.

Simon then suddenly furcates into multiple Simons, all of them seeming to rapidly mount and dismount making hard to tell if the real copy is saddled or not.

Reya steps forward, her short feet finally catching up to the fun...

Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6
Halfling Luck!: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21
Dmg: 1d10 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12
Multiattack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16

...she slips on a mudstreak midswing, losing the grip on her silver longsword. However, by some stroke of fate the tumbling blade plants itself into the disgusting neck boil of the enemy fighter, lancing the puss pocket and sending the man screaming in pain as it drains. Reya takes the opportunity to reclaim her blade, but the followup strike finds only armor.

*whistle* Another streaking bolt from the back means Fisk has found his mark...

Bonus Hide: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11
Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20
Sneak: 3d6 + 2 ⇒ (1, 5, 5) + 2 = 13

Round 2:
Mal, Simon, Reya, Fisk
Cambion 'n friends <--UP
Donal, Grim

Starface 58/58 hp, 17 AC
Nonose 58/58 hp, 17 AC
Boilboy 33/58 hp, 17 AC


AvernusArt 2Grid

Suddenly a woman bursts through the trees from behind you, with rope tightly around her wrists leading to a roughly cut trailing end a few feet long. A gag appears to be loosened from her mouth and is now more like a scarf around her neck. She's beautiful, she's barefoot, she's dressed like a barmaid. The escaped captive waves as best she can, shouting "Please! That devil thing is going to kill us! Help me free the others before it comes back!" pointing back into the forest.

The nasty men seem to pay no mind, deadset on chopping through one body after the next on the way to their prize, Lord Simon Eltan. The one with the star-shaped pattern of pustules again joins with Mr. Idonthavanose to carry on the game with Donal...

Rolls:
Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20
Attack, dis: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6
Multiattack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18
Multiattack, dis: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18
Short: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18
Short, dis: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22

Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13
Attack, dis: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12
Multiattack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8
Multiattack, dis: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24
Short: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7
Short, dis: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11

...the quality of the Tormtar's defensive training on clear display.

The now rapidly deflating boil squirts a bit of puss as the man turns rapidly on Reya...

Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8
Multiattack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12
Short: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23
Dmg: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4

..just barely clipping the Hellrider across the cheek.

Round 2:
Mal, Simon(mirror image), Reya, Fisk
Cambion 'n friends
Donal, Grim <--UP

Donal 20/37 hp
Reya 50/58

Donal and Reya are in melee with the 3 men near their hay wagon. Grim, Simon, and Malaric remain mounted approx 30 ft back. Shouting wench captive is 10 ft off the road to the side. Cambion still MIA. Party up.


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Donal curses his luck that he didn't include Reya in their training, but shrugs it off, Well, I have to put in the work. Grim has done his part.

+1 mace: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20
Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5


Halfling Dragonslayer | HP: 33/34 | 0/1d8 & 0d6 | Disguise 1/1 | Camo 2/3 | Recover 0/3 | Fast Rit 1/1 |1st 3/4 | 2nd 1/3 | Inspiration!
Stats:
AC 15 | Str -1 Dex +6 Con +2 Int +7 Wis +1 Cha -1 | Init +3 | Perc +7, Darkvision 120 ft | Insight +1

Malaric Dragonslayer reloads his crossbow and fires at he Boilboy.
crossbow: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 201d8 + 3 + 1d6 ⇒ (1) + 3 + (3) = 7

After the bolt hits, the halfling scrunches his eyes together at the damsel in distress wondering where the devil is in. Coincidence? Especially, when the cambion's thugs don't react.
Insight (barmaid's veracity): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

Stay back maiden lest you get smitten in the melee!, he bellows at the woman.

He turns his blade towards the foes, leans into his mount and charges the minions of the devil, leaning from the saddle as his strikes down!

Mounted attack? Any bonus for the higher ground/charging?[/dice: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15 for 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7

Bonus action,shield of faith.Now AC 20/22.

- Used 3 level 1, and 2 of level 2.

Ware the woman!, he yells.


m LE half-elf Warlock 5 | HP 47/47, THP 0/8 | AC 14 | Saves: Str 0, Dex +2, Con +2, Int +1, Wis +3, Cha +7 | Perc 10 | Init +2 | DV60' | HD 0/5 | Inspiration - | Talisman 2/3 | Spells 2/2 | Invis -, Spray + | Cloak - | -

Simon absolutely ignores the woman and the fact that someone can be killed there. First, it could be a trap. Secondly, who cares about the fate of these peasants at all except their feudal lords? Instead, he rushes forward to the bandits and a cone of sparkling sparks bursts out of his hands...

Color Spray HD: 6d10 ⇒ (3, 9, 10, 3, 9, 6) = 40

I have a few questions. 1. Can I approach so as to hit only enemies with the Color Spray? 2. How do the spells that feat gives me work? Do I cast them as the first level or as the maximum? If the latter, then here are additional HD +: 2d10 ⇒ (10, 5) = 15


AvernusArt 2Grid

Donal pummels the diseased and wounded man as Grim charges forward to enter the fray on horseback. A familiar crack of steel on steel sends a distant flock of birds in flight as the man's armor fully absorbs the blow.

Grim, advantage of that sort can be had if you take the Mounted Combatant feat. If you aren't going to hit and run with the horse's Disengage, a good option is to make the horse Dodge...they have low AC and the attacker gets to choose either mount or rider.

The instant Malaric's bolt leaves his crossbow, the halfling ponders the barmaid's strange yet desperate plea for help, deciding it is quite genuine by the time the bolt pierces into the man's chest with a hard metallic *plunk*.

Simon advances almost as far as Grim, right up to the edge of the fray, spilling a fountain of rainbow colors spilling out of his bare hands. Boilboy shouts "Damn my eyes!" clutching them in terror and looking left and right, clearly blinded by the blast. The others seem to squint and endure...

Simon, with the 15ft cone you need to get pretty close, but yes you captured all 3 in the area. At the time you cast, Boilboy was at 21. The remaining rolled hp was not enough to catch either of the other 2.

Reya takes notice, wasting no time to pounce on the advantage...

Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24
Attack, adv blind: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
Dmg: 1d10 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12
Multiattack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25
Multiattack, adv blind: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
Crit Dmg: 2d10 + 3 ⇒ (10, 1) + 3 = 14

...piercing the disgusting man's torso all the way through, before instantly decapitating him in the backswing.

Fisk disappears behind the wagon...

Bonus Hide: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13

...only to reappear on the edge of the forest some distance away, leveling another shot into the melee...

Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14
Attack, adv hidden: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16

...yet the snipe is foiled, ricocheting off inches from the man's jugular.

Round 3:
Mal, Simon, Reya, Fisk
Cambion 'n friends <--UP
Donal, Grim

Starface 58/58 hp, 17 AC
Nonose 58/58 hp, 17 AC
Boilboy (dead)


AvernusArt 2Grid

The wench clicks her tongue at Grim's admonition. She focuses on Simon instead "No one will help us? Please noble sir, you must help us quickly...its killing us right now, it won't wait for you..."

Simon, make wisdom save vs charm effect DC 14. You have advantage because of the elven part of your blood.

Starface slaps Nonose across the shoulder "That one's the one boss wants, with the shield!" Starface manages to sidestep, getting under the neck of Simon's steed before slashing upwards...

Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7
Multiattack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15
Dmg: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5
Shortblade: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10
Dmg: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

...making a painful to watch assault on the animal. The attempt to cleave its neck fell quite short, the first blow hardly penetrating at all. The halfway hacked muscle was abandoned for a thrust with the shortblade, but the bumbling Starface missed the beast's heart. Simon horse 3/13 hp

Nonose takes a few steps towards Simon as well, but can't quite escape the melee without risking an attack. He grumbles "Eh...this one's the 'ealer, we should gut him first..." slashing up at Grim.

Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17
Multiattack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10
Short: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25
Crit!: 2d6 + 3 ⇒ (5, 2) + 3 = 10

Of course the poor fool doesn't realize he just picked a fight with a WAR cleric. While Nonose certainly possesses a great deal of combat experience, Grim's superior armor deflects the fighter's basic strike combination. However, the southerner's strange dual-wielding style manages to sneak out a weakness, plunging nearly to the hilt. It could have been worse if the cleric's hyper-awareness hadn't caused him to roll away with the thrust. Grim 10 dmg reduced to 7 from feat.

Round 3:
Mal, Simon, Reya, Fisk
Cambion 'n friends
Donal, Grim <--UP

Donal and Grim are engaged with Nonose. With just 5 ft empty space (save the corpse of Boilboy) between them, Reya and Simon are engaged with Starface. Simon and Grim remain mounted. Back a ways, and closer to the wench is Malaric who is also mounted, and even further back Fisk still with the party wagon. Cambion not visible.

Party up.


Halfling Dragonslayer | HP: 33/34 | 0/1d8 & 0d6 | Disguise 1/1 | Camo 2/3 | Recover 0/3 | Fast Rit 1/1 |1st 3/4 | 2nd 1/3 | Inspiration!
Stats:
AC 15 | Str -1 Dex +6 Con +2 Int +7 Wis +1 Cha -1 | Init +3 | Perc +7, Darkvision 120 ft | Insight +1

Mal the archer urges Corsair away from the sketchy barmaid while reloading his crossbow. He aims at Nonose and releases a bolt.
crossbow: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 101d8 + 3 + 1d6 ⇒ (7) + 3 + (1) = 11

But the bolt spins away with one of the fletching tricked when he loaded it.


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Donal, grins now that he is in proper formation, and shifts laterally to take advantage of the flank!

+1 mace: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15

But the stalwart warrior cannot seem to get past the heavy armor!


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

Grim also moves to take advantage of Donal. Advantage or no advantage?

1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22 for 1d8 + 4 + 1d4 ⇒ (6) + 4 + (3) = 13

His revenge cut feels very satisfying.

He swings a second time led by instinct for the flow of battle.

Bonus: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19 for 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

That fighting style was only once per round, correct?


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

I believe that is what we settled on. Once per turn, so it can happen on my turn, and again on your turn, and then maybe on a Reaction.


AvernusArt 2Grid

Simon to go, please roll wisdom save DC 14 with advantage. If you fail, nothing further is needed. If you succeed, go ahead and post actions.


m LE half-elf Warlock 5 | HP 47/47, THP 0/8 | AC 14 | Saves: Str 0, Dex +2, Con +2, Int +1, Wis +3, Cha +7 | Perc 10 | Init +2 | DV60' | HD 0/5 | Inspiration - | Talisman 2/3 | Spells 2/2 | Invis -, Spray + | Cloak - | -

Wis: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11 Wis: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

Thats totally not gonna backfire on us at all...


AvernusArt 2Grid

A slowly curving upward smile erupts across the wench's face, as she motions with a finger "Now, give me the Shield of the Hidden Lord."

Simon, you suffer the effects of the wench's Fiendish Charm. You are compelled to obey her commands, and can act now.

Fiendish Charm:
One humanoid the wench can see within 30 feet of it must succeed on a DC 14 Wisdom saving throw or be magically charmed for 1 day. The charmed target obeys the wench’s spoken commands. If the target suffers any harm from the wench or another creature or receives a suicidal command from the wench, the target can repeat the saving throw, ending the effect on itself on a success. If a target’s saving throw is successful, or if the effect ends for it, the creature is immune to the wench’s Fiendish Charm for the next 24 hours.


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

Any Perception checks from the party on this?


AvernusArt 2Grid

I mean, you all see this happening with your passives, she isn't concealing herself from vision. If you want to try and look for something you can spend an Action to actively roll perception, insight, or investigation (since we are in combat). No one's passive insight is high enough to tell anything super useful. You saw a wench emerge from the forest with semi-broken bindings claiming to need help to free her friends, who are apparently being killed at this very moment deeper in. She then appealed to Simon directly, who seems to be complying, even to the point of handing over his shield for some reason. What would your character make of that? ;)


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Simon! What are you doing?!? Fight! is all that Donal spares for his companion as he returns his attention to his foes...

How far is the charmy lady from Donal?


AvernusArt 2Grid

A bit more than 30 for you, Reya, and Grim. Within 30 for Simon, Malaric, and Fisk. Reya and Fisk will be the first ones to act after Simon walks over to hand the shield to her, then enemies, then party will be up again.


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Fisk! Shoot her and hopefully that will disrupt her concentration!


m LE half-elf Warlock 5 | HP 47/47, THP 0/8 | AC 14 | Saves: Str 0, Dex +2, Con +2, Int +1, Wis +3, Cha +7 | Perc 10 | Init +2 | DV60' | HD 0/5 | Inspiration - | Talisman 2/3 | Spells 2/2 | Invis -, Spray + | Cloak - | -

Hmm, I completely forgot about inspiration. Can I apply it here somehow?


AvernusArt 2Grid

Simon, inspiration gives advantage. You already had advantage on the roll, and multiple advantages don't stack, so no not in this case.


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

The priest wheels at Donals words...

What the hells?... but after a week of non stop working with Donal? He learned to trust his instinct.

Guided Bolt: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22 for 4d6 ⇒ (5, 5, 1, 2) = 13, plus advantage on next attack if hit.

The moves to work with Donal, and attacks the next foe, guided by his knack for combat.

Bonus Attack: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22 for 1d8 + 4 + 1d4 ⇒ (3) + 4 + (2) = 9


AvernusArt 2Grid

Sorry, fell asleep in my chair before update for a glorious 13 hour slumber (teenager style). Grim, will carry those actions to the next round unless you decide to change.

Reya watches the fighter harrying Simon's horse pull back with a chuckle as the noble gallops forth on the badly wounded creature to deliver his shield to the woman. Reya capitalizes on the moment to strike at the diseased man...

Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14
Multiattack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11

...but her proximity to the others in melee has her guarding her steps extra carefully, affecting her swing.

Fisk hears Donal's call and nods, cracking back the tiny crossbow with one smooth motion and creeping around the other side of the wagon again...

Bonus Hide: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

*crunch* By some awful luck, his foot smushed a discarded half-pack of gnomish crackers, revealing his position. Regardless, he took the shot...

Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18

...the bolt seeming as if it should've hit the wench, yet somehow not.

Round 4:
Mal, Simon, Reya, Fisk
Cambion 'n friends <--UP
Donal, Grim


AvernusArt 2Grid

Simon, from up close the woman's bonds seem to come apart like interlocked fingers, the strands of rope almost like extensions of her skin. Donning the shield, she relaxes with some comfort as the jeweled face of the Hidden Lord turns to regard you.

"So, without me, I guess this is what happens." the gemstone mouth spoke outloud. "It was fun Simon of the Eltan, but I see now you are not worthy to be the true bearer. No hard feelings though, right? If you ever make it to hell, our deal still stands. I know you wont forget about it...hahah..." the annoying music suddenly coming back into your consciousness.

The wench offers "Aw, how sweet...a little night music is the perfect parting gift. Oh, you're not mad are you? Hrm...come with me..." she beckons. "I want to show you something special."

The wench leads Simon's horse into the forest. And soon out of sight from the others.

Meanwhile Nonose and Starface, not shedding any tears for the fallen Boilboy, take up defensive postures...almost as if attempting to block the party from following after. Dodge.

Round 4:
Mal(mounted), Simon(charmed, mounted), Reya, Fisk
Cambion 'n friends
Donal, Grim <--UP


AvernusArt 2Grid

Grim, if you still want to cast Guiding Bolt on the wench I will say you can do so just before they get lost in the trees deeper in the forest. However, you are at disadvantage on the attack roll since it is a ranged spell attack and you are in melee.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Halfling Dragonslayer | HP: 33/34 | 0/1d8 & 0d6 | Disguise 1/1 | Camo 2/3 | Recover 0/3 | Fast Rit 1/1 |1st 3/4 | 2nd 1/3 | Inspiration!
Stats:
AC 15 | Str -1 Dex +6 Con +2 Int +7 Wis +1 Cha -1 | Init +3 | Perc +7, Darkvision 120 ft | Insight +1

Was that his plan? Infiltrate us; claim the magic shield; and give it to his friends. Skeptical thoughts race through his mind. The dragonslayer abandons his shot when he sees the two in melee ready themselves.

He kicks Corsair into pursuit of the runaway artifact. He follows along in a parallel vector about 60 feet away. After a quick dash, he stops to look and listen for Simon and barmaid before continuing.

Move Spot and Dash: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18


1 person marked this as a favorite.
AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5
GM Infinity wrote:
Grim, if you still want to cast Guiding Bolt on the wench I will say you can do so just before they get lost in the trees deeper in the forest. However, you are at disadvantage on the attack roll since it is a ranged spell attack and you are in melee.

I still have one inspiration left... I use that to turn disadvantage to a standard roll


m LE half-elf Warlock 5 | HP 47/47, THP 0/8 | AC 14 | Saves: Str 0, Dex +2, Con +2, Int +1, Wis +3, Cha +7 | Perc 10 | Init +2 | DV60' | HD 0/5 | Inspiration - | Talisman 2/3 | Spells 2/2 | Invis -, Spray + | Cloak - | -

All this is very curious! I don't have any actions? There is a feeling that all this humiliation violates the morality and inner foundations of the proud Simon of Eltans. But I'm not sure if this gives me the right to reroll the save in 5e .)

2,351 to 2,400 of 3,193 << first < prev | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / [5e] Descent into Avernus Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.