[5e] Descent into Avernus

Game Master mishima


2,551 to 2,600 of 3,267 << first < prev | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | next > last >>

AvernusArt 2Grid

Clockwork Malfunction: 1d8 ⇒ 8 Same as before...

As the device turns in place, the screeching of the ill-maintained gears sends a nearby flock of birds heading to the horizon.

Target Alpha: 1d3 ⇒ 3 =Reya
Lance: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20

As if already forgetting the shield it just erected, the malfunctioning ballista ejected a lance full force straight into it, seemingly pointed at Reya. *WHOOONM* It bounced back off the glowing surface, clattering around in the bubble before clanging back behind the device.

Target Alpha: 1d3 ⇒ 2 =Grim
Harpoon: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28
Harpoon, dis: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14

Turning to Grim, the net was rapidly winched back inside the chassis, and after a series of clockwork clicks fired again at the cleric...but pinned into the ground just beside him scorching the grass with its electric arcs.

Legendary Bolter 213/238, 19 AC (concentrating)

Party up.


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

The priest, now knowing what he is aiming at, jams his sword at the joint.

1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8 or 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10 for 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7

Bonus Action: Healing word level 2. 2d4 + 3 ⇒ (2, 3) + 3 = 8 on self.

He uses his channel divinity to add 10 to the attack roll.

Now 36 Hp, correct?


m LE half-elf Warlock 5 | HP 47/47, THP 0/8 | AC 14 | Saves: Str 0, Dex +2, Con +2, Int +1, Wis +3, Cha +7 | Perc 10 | Init +2 | DV60' | HD 0/5 | Inspiration - | Talisman 2/3 | Spells 1/2 | Invis -, Spray + | Cloak - | -

The invisible Simon will head towards the ballista. Who will save these simple people in every sense if not a noble gentleman?

It seems I underestimated this encounter for a very long time. I apologize. I hope the 3-5 bolts that were fired at Simon (counting the misses) justify me a little, because otherwise it would have been bolts in you.


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5
Simon Eltan wrote:

The invisible Simon will head towards the ballista. Who will save these simple people in every sense if not a noble gentleman?

It seems I underestimated this encounter for a very long time. I apologize. I hope the 3-5 bolts that were fired at Simon (counting the misses) justify me a little, because otherwise it would have been bolts in you.

Lol..Was thinking that I was lucky. That Bot was rolling crazy good numbers, and as the guy in its grill? I need all the hit points I have


AvernusArt 2Grid

Grim, I have you less than that. Round 1 you took a hit for 15 from an off-turn legendary attack. You took a second lance hit for 12 in round 6. So 40-15-12=13. Then if you heal now for 8, that bumps you up to 21 currently.

And yes, Simon's hesitation was in character and sort of helpful by keeping another option in the target pool besides Grim and Reya.

Concentration DC 10: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12

Grim's impact sends sparks spraying everywhere, sending a cascading rippling effect through the barrier...it wavered but remained strong. "Oh, excuse me madame, I'm such a clutz! May I carry your goat? Tell me where you live. Where are your children?" the mechanical wonder inquired. Shield stays up for a bit longer.

Malaric to go.


Halfling Dragonslayer | HP: 33/34 | 0/1d8 & 0d6 | Disguise 1/1 | Camo 2/3 | Recover 0/3 | Fast Rit 1/1 |1st 3/4 | 2nd 1/3 | Inspiration!
Stats:
AC 15 | Str -1 Dex +6 Con +2 Int +7 Wis +1 Cha -1 | Init +3 | Perc +7, Darkvision 120 ft | Insight +1

Malaric pops up and tries a new spell from his divine patron. With an arcane word and a twist of his crystal he triggers an explosion near the machine but missing Grim.

Move for line of sight

Shatter Con DC 15: 3d8 ⇒ (3, 3, 3) = 9

Move behind total cover if possible. My RL GM has bad guys do this to us every game.


AvernusArt 2Grid

Hmm, probably forgetting something here but the Shatter wording 'erupts from a point' is convincing to bypass the Wall of Force. Since its translucent, it isn't total cover inside.

vs Shatter: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6
vs Shatter, disadvantage: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10

Concentration DC 10: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

Oil spurts, tiny gears go flying, a nest of weasels scatters in terror as the home is exposed...the halfing's magics burst from beneath the wheeled machine, ripping a gash across its side. The pink and blue half sphere winks out of existence instantly with a sharp vacuum suck sound.

Malaric is last in init order, so Wall is still up for others this round. Malaric can find total cover in the form of an impaled horse corpse. Donal and NPCs coming soon(tm)...


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

Yay


AvernusArt 2Grid

Target Alpha: 1d3 ⇒ 2 =Grim
Lance (legendary): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24
Dmg: 2d10 + 6 ⇒ (2, 7) + 6 = 15 =12

Target Alpha: 1d3 ⇒ 2 =Grim
Lance (legendary): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24
Dmg: 2d10 + 6 ⇒ (10, 4) + 6 = 20 =17 and Grim KO...

...a second quick jab catches the Doomguide offguard, sending him falling to the dirt. "Is this what murder feels like?" the effeminate voice wondered.

Target Alpha: 1d3 ⇒ 1 =Donal
Lance (legendary): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11
Lance, dis: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14

A third lance was again ejected straight into the barrier...stupid machine.

The party advanced quickly, the machine's defenses protecting them as much as the machine...Fisk Bonus Hide: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14 Donal cursed the arcane barrier, giving it an angry rap with his magic mace. But a glance over his should had him quickly grinning again, realizing his companions were now in position to retake the field...

Range Tracking After Round 7:
Don 10
Fisk 30 (hidden)
Grim 0 (unconscious)
Malaric 70 (total cover)
Reya 30
Simon 340 (invisible)

Round 8:
Malaric
Legendary Clockwork Bolter <--UP
Fisk, Donal, Simon, Reya, Grim


AvernusArt 2Grid

Clockwork Malfunction: 1d8 ⇒ 2

DC 15 Investigation (free action):
Flawed Targeting. The clockwork makes attack rolls with disadvantage until the end of its turn.

*boing*

A tiny spring launches off the body of the machine, the magically conjured lance tips beginning to vibrate rapidly and noisily.

Target Alpha: 1d2 ⇒ 1 =Don
Harpoon: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25
Harpoon, dis: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10

Target Alpha: 1d2 ⇒ 1 =Don
Harpoon: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27
Harpoon, dis: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14

It rotates towards Donal "Greetings male lizardfolk necromancer...*crunch*" Something falls apart inside. "Greetings female elven bard. For your safety, please remain 20 ft from my kill zone. Failure to comply is a violation of Luskan Law. Please refer to the Gnomes with Disabilities Act of 1241, Pub. L. No. 101‐336, § 2, 104 Stat 328 for further reference." before ejecting a double blast of electric nets at the Tormtar, which he deftly avoids.

Party up.


m LE half-elf Warlock 5 | HP 47/47, THP 0/8 | AC 14 | Saves: Str 0, Dex +2, Con +2, Int +1, Wis +3, Cha +7 | Perc 10 | Init +2 | DV60' | HD 0/5 | Inspiration - | Talisman 2/3 | Spells 1/2 | Invis -, Spray + | Cloak - | -

I keep moving in that direction.


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

I have a healing potion on me

Death Save: 1d20 ⇒ 8


Halfling Dragonslayer | HP: 33/34 | 0/1d8 & 0d6 | Disguise 1/1 | Camo 2/3 | Recover 0/3 | Fast Rit 1/1 |1st 3/4 | 2nd 1/3 | Inspiration!
Stats:
AC 15 | Str -1 Dex +6 Con +2 Int +7 Wis +1 Cha -1 | Init +3 | Perc +7, Darkvision 120 ft | Insight +1

That seemed to work. Malaric pops up from behind the impaled horse and tries a new spell from his divine patron. With an arcane word and a twist of his crystal he triggers another explosion near the machine but missing Grim... Grim, oh my Shar! Stay alive! Stay alive!

Move for line of sight

Shatter Con DC 15: 3d8 ⇒ (8, 8, 1) = 17

After the explosion, the halfling dives behind the large corpse.

Move behind total cover if possible.


AvernusArt 2Grid

Target Alpha: 1d2 ⇒ 2 =Reya
Lance (legendary): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13

Target Alpha: 1d2 ⇒ 1 =Don
Lance (legendary): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18

Target Alpha: 1d2 ⇒ 2 =Reya
Lance (legendary): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16

Fisk rose slowly from the chest high grasses, muttering under his breath "F*cking thing..." holding his shot for an ally to close. He didn't have to wait long, as Donal rushed to his fallen battle brothers' side. The Tormtar broke the leather strap holding the potion at Grim's belt with a quick *snap* pouring the life giving fluid down his gullet.

Healing Potion: 2d4 + 2 ⇒ (3, 3) + 2 = 8

Grim's thoughts returned from the embrace of Kelemvor. Grim, Donal is ahead of you in the init order so you may still act this round. You are prone.

The machine turned to investigate "A potent potable!" gushing a long arc of black oil out the back. Fisk took aim and clicked the silent trigger of his hand crossbow...

Sneak Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24
Crit Dmg!: 5d6 + 2 ⇒ (6, 6, 6, 2, 5) + 2 = 27

Somewhere the wind blew the grass in a weird pattern, or maybe it was Simon running forward.

Reya charged forward brandishing her silver longsword, and as she closed with the Bolter drew her side blade as well, sending a dancing pattern of lights across the green fields...

Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6
Halfling Luck!: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8
Multiattack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19
Dmg: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9
Short Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24
Dmg: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

...the Hellrider demonstrating her merit with a powerful pair of wood-chipping blows.

vs Mal: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24
vs Mal, dis: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16

Another sonic explosion rocks the Bolter's framework, sending shreds of copper and wood splinters everywhere.

Legendary Bolter 155/238, 19 AC

Range Tracking After Round 8:
Malaric 40 (total cover)
Simon 340 (invisible)
Everyone else within melee or a move.

Grim to go.


AvernusArt 2Grid

I copy/pasted Simons range without updating. Should be 280.


AvernusArt 2Grid

Sorry, wanted to give Grim a chance to act since he is low and in the danger zone. Will move it along tomorrow morning though regardless.


AvernusArt 2Grid

Clockwork Malfunction: 1d8 ⇒ 8

Int Investigation 15:
Rusty Gears. The clockwork has disadvantage on initiative rolls, and its speed decreases by 10 feet.

Target Alpha: 1d4 ⇒ 4 =Reya
Lance: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13

Target Alpha: 1d4 ⇒ 1 =Donal
Lance: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12

The heroes of Baldur's Gate danced about the animated ballista, dodging every lance prick and horrid slash the randomly firing thing could dish out.

Party up.


Halfling Dragonslayer | HP: 33/34 | 0/1d8 & 0d6 | Disguise 1/1 | Camo 2/3 | Recover 0/3 | Fast Rit 1/1 |1st 3/4 | 2nd 1/3 | Inspiration!
Stats:
AC 15 | Str -1 Dex +6 Con +2 Int +7 Wis +1 Cha -1 | Init +3 | Perc +7, Darkvision 120 ft | Insight +1

That seemed to work. Malaric pops up from behind the impaled horse and triggers his last Shatter spell from his divine patron. With an arcane word and a twist of his crystal he triggers another explosion near the machine but missing Grim... Grim, oh my Shar! Stay alive! Stay alive!

Move for line of sight

Shatter Con DC 15: 3d8 ⇒ (2, 1, 3) = 6

After the explosion, the halfling dives behind the large corpse.

Move behind total cover if possible.


AvernusArt 2Grid

Grim, Simon, (Donal?) to go.


m LE half-elf Warlock 5 | HP 47/47, THP 0/8 | AC 14 | Saves: Str 0, Dex +2, Con +2, Int +1, Wis +3, Cha +7 | Perc 10 | Init +2 | DV60' | HD 0/5 | Inspiration - | Talisman 2/3 | Spells 1/2 | Invis -, Spray + | Cloak - | -

Double Move


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

Grim snaps awake and crawls, withdrawing from the danger zone before casting word of healing as a level 2 on his self 2d4 + 3 ⇒ (1, 4) + 3 = 8

Ooc- 16 Hp atm


AvernusArt 2Grid

Target Alpha: 1d4 ⇒ 4 =Reya
Lance (Legendary): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27
Lance, dis: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12

Target Alpha: 1d4 ⇒ 1 =Don
Lance (Legendary): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10

Target Alpha: 1d4 ⇒ 1 =Don
Lance (Legendary): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20
Dmg: 2d10 + 6 ⇒ (4, 1) + 6 = 11

As Grim crawls away he hears Donal get ripped to shreds behind, but he knows his companion can take more than a little scratch. Fisk rolls for cover and disappears...Bonus Hide: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5 ...but doesn't see the huge jagged stone concealed under the grasses, stubbing his toe horribly and crying in pain. In anger he pulls the trigger on his crossbow...then pulls it again, again, and again uselessly.

Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15

Reya continues her flurried assault...

Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6
Multiattack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8
Short: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24
Dmg: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6

...seeming to make some small progress prying loose one of the larger panels on the side hitching.

Donal strikes with his magic mace...

Attack: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23
Dmg: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9

...crushing some kind of delicate spring mechanism to bits just as Malaric's spell concusses from the other side...

vs Mal: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11
vs Mal, dis: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12

...sending even more shards glittering in the midday sun.

Legendary Bolter 134/238, 19 AC

Range Tracking After Round 9:
Malaric 40 (total cover)
Simon 280 (invisible)
Everyone else within melee or a move.

Grim, your crawl would have been last round, so you are one behind. Post 2 rounds worth next 'party up' or sneak a quick action in right now.


AvernusArt 2Grid

Clockwork Malfunction: 1d8 ⇒ 7

Int Investigation DC 15 free:
Overheats. The clockwork is incapacitated until the end of its turn.

"Proximity Alert. Engaging Explosive Bolt..." *whrrrRRRRR* The machine starts to glow a red hot as some kind of new projectile is materializing from an alternate arcane reserve...resembling a deadly missile of some sort. Then, suddenly the machine seems to just switch off completely, slumping to the ground...

Still tracking inits. From your character's perspective, it seems to be inert. Lucky 7.

Party up.


m LE half-elf Warlock 5 | HP 47/47, THP 0/8 | AC 14 | Saves: Str 0, Dex +2, Con +2, Int +1, Wis +3, Cha +7 | Perc 10 | Init +2 | DV60' | HD 0/5 | Inspiration - | Talisman 2/3 | Spells 1/2 | Invis -, Spray + | Cloak - | -

Dash. PS By the way, shouldn't I be closer? I think I'm a bit long at 280. Although I may be confused - this thing shoots too often.


AvernusArt 2Grid

Yes thanks, copy pasted without my above correction. You are at 220 now. Then also legendary creatures get 3 attacks at the end of player turns, in addition to their normal actions on their turn.


Halfling Dragonslayer | HP: 33/34 | 0/1d8 & 0d6 | Disguise 1/1 | Camo 2/3 | Recover 0/3 | Fast Rit 1/1 |1st 3/4 | 2nd 1/3 | Inspiration!
Stats:
AC 15 | Str -1 Dex +6 Con +2 Int +7 Wis +1 Cha -1 | Init +3 | Perc +7, Darkvision 120 ft | Insight +1

Out of boom spells, the Sharian attempts the insane. He advances on the mechanical monstrosity and hides for his life. When it twitches he dives for cover waiting for his next window to close and deactivate the thing.

Move 30 & Use Gnome Camouflage for advantage in Stealth
Stealth: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 161d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Remember, I get two attacks per round now...

+1 mace atk #2: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13 probably not going to hit with that...

I also haven't used my Action Surge yet...

+1 mace atk #1: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11

+1 mace atk #2: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24 Damage: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8


AvernusArt 2Grid

Thanks Don, welcome back. Grim to go. Grim, you still have last round's action and this one.


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

Grim gets up (half move) and then runs back in with his sword... attacking the main component.

1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15 or 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16 for 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

Bonus action War priest attack

1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20 or 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23 for 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7


AvernusArt 2Grid

The moment of relative calm is shortlived, and the machine whirs back to life...

Target Alpha: 1d4 ⇒ 1 =Don
Lance (legendary): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19
Dmg: 2d10 + 6 ⇒ (5, 7) + 6 = 18

Target Alpha: 1d4 ⇒ 2 =Fisk
Lance (legendary): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26
Lance, dis: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28
Dmg: 2d10 + 6 ⇒ (7, 5) + 6 = 18

Target Alpha: 1d4 ⇒ 1 =Don
Lance (legendary): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22
Dmg: 2d10 + 6 ⇒ (8, 8) + 6 = 22

The rain of horror continues, this time nearly impaling Donal to the ground while smarting Fisk at almost the same time. Donal takes 40 and is down I believe. 11 from previous round also. We'll say the legendaries happened after your turn so your attacks still landed.

Near death, Fisk remains cautious...its the only thing that's kept the spy alive so long. Bonus Hide: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22 The Calishite drops out of sight only to appear on the machine's flank, clicking off another well aimed bolt..."...hold still you cogsucker..."

Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12
Attack, adv: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21
Dmg: 3d6 + 2 ⇒ (1, 3, 3) + 2 = 9

Before he looses consciousness Donal is close enough to see the spy's bolt enter the tiniest gap just above the strange loading mechanism on the animated ballista's side, hearing a sound like glass shattering.

Simon continues his silent approach. 140 ft

Reya timed her strikes in between Donal's, so they were roughly hitting the same spot slowly weakening the clockwork carapace...

Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23
Dmg: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5
Multiattack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14
Short: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22
Dmg: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9

Grim, somewhat refreshed, concentrates again on the universal joint...prying the pin further loose.

Legendary Bolter 98/238, 19 AC

Bolter up.


AvernusArt 2Grid

Clockwork Malfunction: 1d8 ⇒ 5

Spoiler:
Limited Steering. The clockwork must move in a straight line. It can turn up to 90 degrees before moving and again at the midpoint of its movement. It can rotate freely if it doesn’t use any of its speeds on its turn.

Target Alpha (Fisk, Grim, Reya): 1d3 ⇒ 3 =Reya
Lance: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11

Target Alpha (Fisk, Grim, Reya): 1d3 ⇒ 2 =Grim
Lance: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19

"Fun Fact: 'Dived' is the traditional past tense and past participle of 'to dive', but 'dove' has crept in over the last two centuries — particularly in the east. This is probably a result of the verb 'to drive' (with its past tense 'drove') becoming more common with advancements in carriage technology." the machine informs the party while slicing everything wildly.

Party up.


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

Healing word on Donal! 1d4 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6

And attack on machine... 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27 or 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8 for 2d8 + 3 ⇒ (6, 7) + 3 = 16

Do I also get the Donal brothers-in-arms bonus? Wish that had of been an upcast guiding bolt... :(


AvernusArt 2Grid

Yes on bros bonus.


AvernusArt 2Grid

Simon and Mal to finish the round.


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5
Evendur "Grim" Greymantle wrote:

Healing word on Donal! 1d4 + 3

And attack on machine... 1d20 + 7 or 1d20 + 7 for 2d8 + 3

Do I also get the Donal brothers-in-arms bonus? Wish that had of been an upcast guiding bolt... :(

Bro bonus: 2d6 ⇒ (3, 4) = 7


m LE half-elf Warlock 5 | HP 47/47, THP 0/8 | AC 14 | Saves: Str 0, Dex +2, Con +2, Int +1, Wis +3, Cha +7 | Perc 10 | Init +2 | DV60' | HD 0/5 | Inspiration - | Talisman 2/3 | Spells 1/2 | Invis -, Spray + | Cloak - | -

[/ooc]Silently and intently I move forward. I don't plan to fight this thing - just pour my healing potions into the mouths of fallen comrades. So until I get close to them, you don't have to stop at me. I think I'm 140 feet (after another dash) from the scene of the massacre right now.[/ooc]


Halfling Dragonslayer | HP: 33/34 | 0/1d8 & 0d6 | Disguise 1/1 | Camo 2/3 | Recover 0/3 | Fast Rit 1/1 |1st 3/4 | 2nd 1/3 | Inspiration!
Stats:
AC 15 | Str -1 Dex +6 Con +2 Int +7 Wis +1 Cha -1 | Init +3 | Perc +7, Darkvision 120 ft | Insight +1

Mal breaks cover and dives under the vehicle and starts looking for that core to deactivate the gnomish monstrosity.

Investigation to deactivate: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (18) + 10 = 28
or Thieves Tools to deactivate: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10

Move 10 and Will Shield if attacked, AC 20


AvernusArt 2Grid

Target Alpha: 1d4 ⇒ 1 = Fisk
Lance (legendary): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19
Lance, dis: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21
Dmg: 2d6 + 10 ⇒ (1, 2) + 10 = 13

Target Alpha: 1d4 ⇒ 3 =Mal
Before closing/After closing?: 1d2 ⇒ 1
Lance (legendary): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28
Lance, dis: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22
Dmg: 2d10 + 6 ⇒ (3, 3) + 6 = 12

Target Alpha: 1d4 ⇒ 3 =Mal
Before closing/After closing?: 1d2 ⇒ 2
Lance (legendary): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10

Fisk takes another brutal heavy lance straight to the chest, hitting the ground. Death: 1d20 ⇒ 13 Fisk is KO. Simon continues his now quite determined charge, someone had to save these people...

Reya doesn't let up with her attacks, chipping away like a beaver in a carpenter's workshop "How do we kill this thing?!"

Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6
Halfling Luck!: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15
Multiattack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22
Dmg: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4
Short: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17

Grim finds the grace to bring his battle brother back to consciousness, and the threat from the ground combines with his own swings in an interesting maneuver they had obviously trained for.

The random strikes finally found Malaric as he charged forward, glancing the halfling with a nasty wound. Mal 12 dmg, shield active The machine took another downward strike as he pulled wires, cogs and metal shavings out of the way trying to make some kind of sense of it all...spraying dirt and grass clippings into his face but not hitting any important arteries.

Mal:
Diving underneath, your investigation reveals a faintly blue glowing sphere of light about the size of a watermelon. It is still covered with protective layers of wood and metal, which are unlike any forging or woodwork you've ever seen...it almost seems naturally grown like vines or tree roots. The glint of gold and jewels is at the center of the light, what must be the heart of the device, but even for your gnome-sized hands there is still too much material enshelling it. You will need to damage the Bolter to about 90% of its max hp to attempt a core removal. 38/238 hp is the threshold. Sleight of Hand DC 15 is the roll.

Legendary Bolter 71/238, 19 AC

Simon is now 80 ft from the Bolter.

Bolter up.


AvernusArt 2Grid

Clockwork Malfunction: 1d8 ⇒ 6

DC 15 Inv (free action):
Overactive Sense of Self-Preservation. If the clockwork has half its hit points or fewer at the start of its turn in combat, it retreats from combat if possible. It otherwise keeps fighting.
^--lucky

"Danger. Destruction-tion imminent *clang*. Why did the tyrannosaurus rex run away from the bathroom?" a big cloud of black smoke puffs out an exhaust port as the wheels of the mechanized ballista start to turn. "...because extinct." the thing jokes as it routs from battle.

OAs for Donal, Grim, Reya and Malaric. Malaric and Donal prone.

Reya OA: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11

Bolter moves 60 ft. Party up.


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

AoO: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11 or AoO: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15 for 1d8 + 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (4) + (6) + 4 = 14

Can I still target its weak spot from 30/60 feet? Otherwise I'll have to run after it...


Halfling Dragonslayer | HP: 33/34 | 0/1d8 & 0d6 | Disguise 1/1 | Camo 2/3 | Recover 0/3 | Fast Rit 1/1 |1st 3/4 | 2nd 1/3 | Inspiration!
Stats:
AC 15 | Str -1 Dex +6 Con +2 Int +7 Wis +1 Cha -1 | Init +3 | Perc +7, Darkvision 120 ft | Insight +1

The halfling grits his teeth when he is stabbed through his magical shield. He cannot believe that he's this close to that infernal device.

34 -12 = 22 HP & Shield

From under the vehicle, Malaric stabs up into the vines surrounding the macguffin.

shortsword AOO: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11
if hit, magic damage: 2d6 + 3 ⇒ (4, 4) + 3 = 11

From his Sharcodex, he sends a ball of thunder screaming toward infernal vehicle with trigger word arcane.

Chromatic orb thunder: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 243d8 ⇒ (1, 6, 4) = 11

He looks around and tries to find total cover from the gnomish monstrosity.

Move to Total Cover?


AvernusArt 2Grid

Grim, yes you can ranged attack the weak spot you found. Mal, still plenty of corpses in the vicinity to total cover behind. Donal to go.


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

Time to end you!

Guiding Bolt L3: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21 or Guiding Bolt L3: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8 for 6d6 ⇒ (3, 3, 2, 5, 1, 6) = 20

And I image Mal would get advantage on that attack above.


AvernusArt 2Grid

Nice, yes indeed Mal reroll the 5 from above. It did not Disengage when it ran away screaming.


Halfling Dragonslayer | HP: 33/34 | 0/1d8 & 0d6 | Disguise 1/1 | Camo 2/3 | Recover 0/3 | Fast Rit 1/1 |1st 3/4 | 2nd 1/3 | Inspiration!
Stats:
AC 15 | Str -1 Dex +6 Con +2 Int +7 Wis +1 Cha -1 | Init +3 | Perc +7, Darkvision 120 ft | Insight +1

extra sneak attack: 1d6 ⇒ 2


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5
"Mal" Malaric wrote:
[dice=extra sneak attack]1d6

Think he means d20


Halfling Dragonslayer | HP: 33/34 | 0/1d8 & 0d6 | Disguise 1/1 | Camo 2/3 | Recover 0/3 | Fast Rit 1/1 |1st 3/4 | 2nd 1/3 | Inspiration!
Stats:
AC 15 | Str -1 Dex +6 Con +2 Int +7 Wis +1 Cha -1 | Init +3 | Perc +7, Darkvision 120 ft | Insight +1

oops: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5
"Mal" Malaric wrote:
[dice=oops]1d20+6

Score!!!!


AvernusArt 2Grid

Still Don to go. Conscious but prone, get OA attack then normal turn with machine 60 ft away.


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

AoO: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18
Disadvantage: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18
damage with brother bonus(?): 1d6 + 4 + 1d6 ⇒ (4) + 4 + (4) = 12

2,551 to 2,600 of 3,267 << first < prev | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / [5e] Descent into Avernus Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.