[5e] Descent into Avernus

Game Master mishima


2,651 to 2,700 of 3,278 << first < prev | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | next > last >>

AvernusArt 2Grid

Grim, you wouldn't technically be able to see it just yet, its 50ft away and outside the dim light radius of the campfire. Simon and Mal can though.

At the commotion, the monster hisses...

Going to go ahead and start round tracking, but Don can still get a turn before combat like everyone else. Also, ignore my tracker for the moment it isn't updated since Bolter fight...

Inits:

Donal: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20
Evendur: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (14) + 0 = 14
Malaric: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9Mal, warning: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13
Simon: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9
Fisk: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
Reya: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21
Basilisk: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (15) - 1 = 14

Round 1:
Reya, Donal, Grim
Basilisk
Mal, Simon, Fisk

Art slides updated if interested.


AvernusArt 2Grid

Don to go.


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Donal dons his shield, heh. and shouts for the others to awaken, then moves, keeping his shield high.

Insight: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5 Crikey... Welp, I guess Donal will move forward, since he doesn't know yet about it being a basilisk...

Con save, I assume: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15


AvernusArt 2Grid

In the cold wind, Reya the Hellrider managed to light a torch with the fire before advancing halfway towards the sound. It only took a few steps before the full nightmare became visible to the others... She gets within a move.

Donal kept his shield high, approaching quickly. Don also within a move, 20 ft to be exact.

Grim, from the light of Reya's torch could then make out enough details to recognize it from Zodge's outpost...knowing full well the horror stories that came with the beasts. Grim remains 50 ft.

Round 1:
Reya, Donal, Grim
Basilisk <--UP
Mal, Simon, Fisk


AvernusArt 2Grid

The 8-legged lizard king snarls lazily, its glowing eyes suddenly flashing a brilliant hue...

Reya Save: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18

Donal and Reya feel as if coated with a thin layer of sand, one that eats its way into every knick and cranny of their body...but somehow they shake it off and remain fluid.

Charging the closest meal, Donal quickly sees the beast advance upon him, snarling with dripping venomous teeth...

Bite: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23
Piercing: 2d6 + 3 ⇒ (2, 2) + 3 = 7
Poison: 2d6 ⇒ (6, 2) = 8

...the Tormtar feeling the crushing weight of its powerful jaws. The wound rapidly turns black, burning with poison.

15 total to Don from a lucky hit.

Round 1:
Reya, Donal, Grim
Basilisk
Mal, Simon, Fisk <--UP

Would someone care to volunteer to bot Mal while his player is away on business?

Basilisk is now 30 ft from camp and everyone who didn't already advance. 5 ft from Reya and thus in bright light.


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

2nd level Guiding Bolt 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20 for 5d6 ⇒ (4, 3, 6, 3, 4) = 20,

then closes and uses his last war priest attack bonus action to attack with advantage...

1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22 or 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10 for 1d8 + 4 + 1d6 ⇒ (3) + 4 + (5) = 12 damage.


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Mal: The halfling calls upon the shadows to bring a torrent of screams from beyond into the creature's mind! mind sliver, Int DC 15: 2d6 ⇒ (2, 3) = 5 psychic damage, -1d4 on next saving throw on failed save


AvernusArt 2Grid

Int vs Mal: 1d20 - 4 ⇒ (4) - 4 = 0
Save Penalty: 1d4 ⇒ 1

Simon up and will need a DC 12 con save at the start of his round, being now in range for it. Mal avoided this being hidden. Grim will need to make the save before his guiding bolt, as will Reya and Don at the top of Round 2.


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5
GM Infinity wrote:


Simon up and will need a DC 12 con save at the start of his round, being now in range for it. Mal avoided this being hidden. Grim will need to make the save before his guiding bolt, as will Reya and Don at the top of Round 2.

Con: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19


m LE half-elf Warlock 5 | HP 47/47, THP 0/8 | AC 14 | Saves: Str 0, Dex +2, Con +2, Int +1, Wis +3, Cha +7 | Perc 10 | Init +2 | DV60' | HD 0/5 | Inspiration - | Talisman 2/3 | Spells 1/2 | Invis -, Spray + | Cloak - | -

Con: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6 Darn! Even my talisman can't help me...


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

How big is the creature? More specifically, would a sack be large enough to throw over its head? Otherwise, I will ask for someone's cloak...

Con save: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13 Uh-oh...


AvernusArt 2Grid

Patches of grey stone begin to cover the warlock's skin...

Simon, for this first fail you are merely restrained. You can still attack, just at disadvantage. Your speed is zero, so you can't move your position. At the end of next turn, you'll repeat the save with same DC 12. Success the effect ends, fail means petrified. Go ahead and take actions for this round while you are restrained.

Don, its medium. If you want to try that lets just do a grapple vs its dex. Success will blind it on your init count.


m LE half-elf Warlock 5 | HP 47/47, THP 0/8 | AC 14 | Saves: Str 0, Dex +2, Con +2, Int +1, Wis +3, Cha +7 | Perc 10 | Init +2 | DV60' | HD 0/5 | Inspiration - | Talisman 2/3 | Spells 1/2 | Invis -, Spray + | Cloak - | -

Patches of grey stone begin to cover the warlock's skin... but no one sees it, because he is invisible.

Of course, I had no doubt that they would put up a statue for me and it would be of very good quality, but this is somehow too fast and accurate.

Since childhood, Simon noticed for himself that sometimes in the most critical situations, an ironic voice appeared in his head, laughing at the situation. Something like an Observer, whom this scene did not concern. Perhaps the tendency to listen to such voices led him to the infernal ministry that took place with him now. Who knows...

Eldritch Blast + Hex: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 231d10 + 4 + 1d6 ⇒ (2) + 4 + (5) = 11 

The aristocrat wheezes and manifesting from invisibility sends a charge of infernal energy into the monster.

AVD fo invis vs DISADV for restrained | Hex on DEX !


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

@Simon, disadvantage, you need to roll to hit again.

Donal leaps onto the beast, trying to at least cover its eyes with his shield! Strength (Athletics): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7 Fuuuuuuuu***!!!

EDIT: Nevermind... You are right, Simon! :p


AvernusArt 2Grid

Dex check: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (6) - 1 = 5 ...*ahem* Well then.
Hex dis: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (8) - 1 = 7

Donal tackles the massive lizard, throwing an arm around a neck about as wide as its torso. At first it seems there is simply no way the Tormtar could possibly counter the stability of 8-legs, but the night was cold and the reptile's metabolism was nearly slowed to a halt. The edge of the shield clinked in between a few spikes of the king's crown, blocking its sight.


AvernusArt 2Grid

NPCs just before that occurred...

Fisk followed Simon's powerful strike with a shot of his own, hoping to capitalize on the distraction...

Fisk vs Gaze: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (11) + 0 = 11
Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21
Attack, dis: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8

...but felt himself locking up, bathed in the light of the basilisk's eyes. The spy's normally dextrous moves grinded to a halt, quite prematurely of the shot trajectory he had planned.

Reya vs Gaze: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21
Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23
Dmg: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9

Reya crashed in from the side, her sword bouncing off the thick bones of its ribcage but leaving a gushing mark.

Grim releases a scintillating radiance, streaking across the night like the light at the end of a tunnel and scorching the basilisks flesh to a crisp.

Basilisk 23/80 hp, 15 AC

Round 2:
Reya, Donal, Grim
Basilisk <--UP
Mal, Simon, Fisk


AvernusArt 2Grid

The monster tried to shake free of Donal's grasp...

Dex check: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (3) - 1 = 2
Hex dis: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (19) - 1 = 18

...but its gaze remained concealed behind the steel of the warrior.

Round 2:
Reya, Donal, Grim
Basilisk
Mal, Simon, Fisk <--UP

All up, the gaze is disabled so no need to roll at top of turn. Simon and Fisk will need the saves vs petrify at the end of their turns however, even if the monster is slain quickly.


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

Grim rushes up and swings at the monster...

1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16 for 1d8 + 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (8) + (3) + 3 = 14

Will I get advantage given its eyes are blocked?

1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23


AvernusArt 2Grid

Thanks for asking, yes its the actual Blinded condition.


m LE half-elf Warlock 5 | HP 47/47, THP 0/8 | AC 14 | Saves: Str 0, Dex +2, Con +2, Int +1, Wis +3, Cha +7 | Perc 10 | Init +2 | DV60' | HD 0/5 | Inspiration - | Talisman 2/3 | Spells 1/2 | Invis -, Spray + | Cloak - | -

Eldritch Blast + Hex: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 281d10 + 4 + 1d6 ⇒ (9) + 4 + (5) = 18
Crit dmg: 1d20 + 1d6 ⇒ (2) + (5) = 7
Con: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11

Feeling that he is petrifying, Simon sends his last spell at the basilisk with a cry of rage... and it is clear that there was not a little rage in the dying aristocrat.

(no disadv because it's blinded)


m LE half-elf Warlock 5 | HP 47/47, THP 0/8 | AC 14 | Saves: Str 0, Dex +2, Con +2, Int +1, Wis +3, Cha +7 | Perc 10 | Init +2 | DV60' | HD 0/5 | Inspiration - | Talisman 2/3 | Spells 1/2 | Invis -, Spray + | Cloak - | -

I apologize (rolled d20 instead d10). Critical Damage:

Crit: 1d10 + 1d6 ⇒ (4) + (6) = 10 - 28 total

Also my con save result should be 4, not 11 ))) That's why I'm again do not use my patron's talisman.


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5
Simon Eltan wrote:

I apologize (rolled d20 instead d10). Critical Damage:

[dice=Crit]1d10 + 1d6 - 28 total

Also my con save result should be 4, not 11 ))) That's why I'm again do not use my patron's talisman.

shiiiiiiiiiet... does that mean you're stoned man? Pretty sure we can get u a stone to flesh at candlekeep


AvernusArt 2Grid

Each of the 8 legs trips and buckles in succession before the lizard screeches its death cry, the life driven out from the terrible magics of the noble.

Simon, I could be mistsaken but I think the talisman is checks, not saves anyways.

Simon gulps one last time before as every drop of moisture in his body turns to solidified concrete.

Fisk Save: 1d20 ⇒ 1

It is soon apparent that Falaster Fisk, your patron of this mission to Candlekeep suffers a similar fate...

Aracana DC 15:
Some alchemists are said to know how to process the basilisk’s gullet and the fluids contained within. Properly handled, the gullet produces an oil that can return petrified creatures to flesh and life. Unfortunately for such a victim, any parts lost in stone form remain absent if the creature revives. Revivification using the oil is impossible if a vital part of the petrified creature, such as its head, is detached.

Quote:
Pretty sure we can get u a stone to flesh at candlekeep

Not a thing in 5e, its Greater Restoration. You can roll DC 15 religion to know its a thing.


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Arcana: 1d20 ⇒ 18
Religion: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15

What will it take to harvest the glands?

Donal curses and draws his knife quickly to prepare to cut open the beast's neck, but pauses, Grim, Mal, I need your eyes to help me spot a gland in the neck. Bring a light.


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

Arcana 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21

Religion 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9

Strangely Evendurs mentor, way back in his early days before Grim toook formal vows, lectured him constantly about harvesting basalisk organs... said it was a valuable skill for a potential Doomguide to know. Years later, it all comes back to him.

And so he is able light up his holy symbol and able to walk Donal through the procedure...


AvernusArt 2Grid

Yes...the gullet. Of course the basilisk prefers its meals stoned, but the lizard's soft stomach can't digest solid rock. So, as the sages say, some process within the long pipe connecting the mouth and stomach turns the victim back into flesh. Its one of those memorable stories that, while absolutely crazy, is rational enough to be true...thus tending to stick in the memory.

Slitting the throat is a good start, but then of course the ribcage must be broken for the chest cavity to be opened. Unlike a humanoid, the ribs on a lizard continue all the way down...at least that's what Gorn's masterfully prepared roasted lizards-on-a-stick taught you.

It's a gruesome task, but then no more than typical butchery. In short order, the battle bros produce a slippery rope dripping with a thick, purple mucus.

Without alchemists tools you'll be unable to formulate and distill the needed oil. You are 1 days journey from your destination. You could continue your long rest, or set off now depending on your sense of urgency. Whenever setting off, briefly describe how you protect the statues along the way.


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Did our checks reveal if there is a time limit?


AvernusArt 2Grid

No, I just meant more if it would feel right for this to have happened then everyone say 'well, back to sleep...'. It seems weird to me, but ultimately your call as players. From the checks you know damage to the statues isn't restored if the condition is cured, and best guess if the esophagus is totally rotten its likely no good anymore.

If pushing on without sleep is chosen, a roll vs exhaustion is forthcoming. This interruption was after 2 hours of rest only.


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

Grim urges for urgency. They can always rest at Candlekeep and freshness of the Gullet is an obvious factor in any alchemy.


AvernusArt 2Grid

We have one vote for pushing on without rest.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
m LE half-elf Warlock 5 | HP 47/47, THP 0/8 | AC 14 | Saves: Str 0, Dex +2, Con +2, Int +1, Wis +3, Cha +7 | Perc 10 | Init +2 | DV60' | HD 0/5 | Inspiration - | Talisman 2/3 | Spells 1/2 | Invis -, Spray + | Cloak - | -

No vote from me. I am very busy at the molecular level and cannot be distracted by conversations.


Halfling Dragonslayer | HP: 33/34 | 0/1d8 & 0d6 | Disguise 1/1 | Camo 2/3 | Recover 0/3 | Fast Rit 1/1 |1st 3/4 | 2nd 1/3 | Inspiration!
Stats:
AC 15 | Str -1 Dex +6 Con +2 Int +7 Wis +1 Cha -1 | Init +3 | Perc +7, Darkvision 120 ft | Insight +1

Mal climbs out of this hiding place and agrees with Grim, "let's get the stone and gullet to Candlekeep as soon as possible." He starts preparing the wagon for the travel and careful transport of the sudden statues.

I'm back. Glad you could survive-ish, with one halfling behind your back. Vote to leave


AvernusArt 2Grid

Ok, thats a majority to forgo long rest. How are you loading up the statues? Any special precautions or just tossing them in the back of the wagon?


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

CAREFULLY, Grim and others, lay them in the wagon... using bedrolls and packs to stupors and pad them...


AvernusArt 2Grid

Temp: 1d20 ⇒ 3
Wind: 1d20 ⇒ 5
Precip: 1d20 ⇒ 10

Mercifully the weather conditions stay mild throughout the night and into the morning as the party begins the final approach to Candlekeep. The first real branch on the road is spotted in the distance, kissed by the red light of dawn. This is the so-called Lion's Way, a westward running path that skirts the archipelago's sheer cliffs out into the ocean leading to the massive promontory that serves as the great library's foundation.

Simon and Fisk bounce along, the wagons driven at a careful pace. Still, even with the slowdown by forgoing the night's rest the party seems to be slightly ahead of schedule...likely reaching their destination, and the salvation of their stoned colleagues, by midday.

Let me go ahead and get DC 15 Con Save vs exhaustion from Grim, Donal, and Mal...taking effect roughly at sunup.


Halfling Dragonslayer | HP: 33/34 | 0/1d8 & 0d6 | Disguise 1/1 | Camo 2/3 | Recover 0/3 | Fast Rit 1/1 |1st 3/4 | 2nd 1/3 | Inspiration!
Stats:
AC 15 | Str -1 Dex +6 Con +2 Int +7 Wis +1 Cha -1 | Init +3 | Perc +7, Darkvision 120 ft | Insight +1

DC 15 Con Save vs exhaustion: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Con save: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15 By the skin of my teeth. Btw, Donal would've voted to move on without rest.


AvernusArt 2Grid

The party continues, wearily and carefully, past the sparse trees and windswept hills of the archipelago approaching Candlekeep. The cry of gibberlings echos forever in the distance, hounding and assauting you. Yet, as the image resolved from the fog, it was a brief dance with insanity. There, on the prominence extruded beyond the gravitational pull of the sheer cliff at the edge of the world...Candlekeep stood rock-solid, steady, and sure. There was an impossibility to its physics, an inspired creativity to its engineering, which perched the complex castle atop the rock.

No one had ever seen its magical equivalent.

Like the most devious of optical illusions, its sheer existence made you question yourself. There were high towers which, by reason and physics should fall...yet served as foundation for even more impossible structures. A construction evolved from previous, eternal construction. Staring at the interplay of stone and magic mote figuratively brought pain to your psyche, loops of granite wrought from beneath the waves of the Sword Coast knotted into shapes which defied explanation.

Every rule was broken here.

Or, the more you thought of it, the true perceptions of reality your senses could engage with were removed from obscurement and made clear...for the first time in your life. This was applied magic ad extrema. The embodiment of hope. A hope for humanity's intuition, intellect, and resolve. The magical library of Candlekeep.

The double gates alone are ominous and foreboding, nearly three times the height of a man and wrought of an indecipherable metal. No less than five purple invested priests patiently await you, their gaze concealed from a fallen hood.

Religion DC 10:
These are priests of Denier, the god of writing. It would make sense that these men and women are the gatekeepers, anxiously awaiting your donation to the collective of humanoid thought.

One of the magenta hued throws back his hood, revealing a spectacled, bald, nearly 60 year old human who recites mechanically, as if recited a thousand times before "Halt. Only those who wish to bolster our cloister are permitted entry. What donation do you offer to inspire our imagination beyond which our blood allows?"

Art slide updated.


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Religion: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21

Brothers of Deneir, perhaps these old psalms of Torm will be sufficient? We also have a pair of our companions that will need treatment from the alchemists, Donal offers a few sheafs of parchment.


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

Indeed we have the basalisk gallbladder, not yet a full day old, which isnt getting any fresher... once they are restored, the remaining reageants are for Candlekeep... I'm sure your Alchemists wouldnt mind having a spare potion or two on hand..


AvernusArt 2Grid

The scholar waved a corrective finger, tsk-tsking quietly "That is a gullet, also known as an 'esophagus' traveler. You have obviously not been exposed to Ross and Wilson's Anatomy Explained: A Guide for Curious Minds volume iii."

The other one standing nearby nods in agreement after a split second consideration, adding "An appreciated donation the organ would make. However, such an object will not grant you entry. There are very precisely worded magics that abjure this place from the outside world, you see...only works of writing will suffice."

Turning then to the Tormtar "Psalms of Torm? Yes, very popular in this area. We most likely have collected them all already..." he reaches out for the stack of parchments, and if handed over scans them quickly. "No...no...no..." adjusting his spectacles slightly "Ah, what have we here? The Communal Lament of a Loyal Fury?" pinching the parchment in his fingers a few times, even taking a sniff "...and it appears to be a unique edition. Very well, we of the library are most gracious for this gift and grant you use of the Plaza for as long as you wish to study." bowing and motioning for Donal to enter.


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Donal looks to the others before spurring his horse forward, I will see you inside. I will seek the apothecaries and meet you in the courtyard.


Halfling Dragonslayer | HP: 33/34 | 0/1d8 & 0d6 | Disguise 1/1 | Camo 2/3 | Recover 0/3 | Fast Rit 1/1 |1st 3/4 | 2nd 1/3 | Inspiration!
Stats:
AC 15 | Str -1 Dex +6 Con +2 Int +7 Wis +1 Cha -1 | Init +3 | Perc +7, Darkvision 120 ft | Insight +1

Religion DC 10: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14

Silently, the exhausted halfling approaches the priests. He digs our a scroll from his backpack and offers it to one of them. When open, they read a unique prayer to holy Shar, the Dark Lady, The Mistress of the Night scrawled in his tight script. He patiently waits for admission.


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5
Donal the Seeker wrote:
Donal looks to the others before spurring his horse forward, I will see you inside. I will seek the apothecaries and meet you in the courtyard.

Take the organ and wagon in case we others are unable to gain entry.

He waits behind Mal with the old text he pulled from the library of that corrupt noble.


AvernusArt 2Grid

As Donal brings the wagon forward on Grim's command the scholars object. "Woah woah woah...not so fast. Donations are needed for them as well." pointing to the statues of Fisk and Simon in the back. "Trust me, you don't want to pull them through the gate without satisfying the ward...someone tried this statue trick a few years ago, and here they are still." kicking a few bits of gravel on the ground. "There are no loopholes. The great Alaundo forsaw every challenge, every attem--"

Another of the purple robed men interjected "Wait a second Clancy, that's Falaster isn't it?! Falaster Fisk, Archmage Savikas' First Hand?"

Clancy was silent a moment as he took in the sight, getting closer and lifting back his hood. He was a sun elf, very pale and beautiful...making his facial crease lines and sour grimace an even more telling contrast. "Send a runner." was his only reply.

A dwarf quickly scooted past Donal through the gatehouse and disappeared inside.

"If the donation requirement were a mere formality we might brush it aside. However, there are real consequences should we not proceed. Please, let us settle this quickly." turning his attention to Malaric and the offered prayer. "Hmm...a prayer to Shar written by a halfling follower. That is certainly unique, and will find a place in our Cultural Archives. You may proceed."

Finally it was Grim's turn and the black tome Apocalypto exchanged hands. "Ah, you have good taste...a classic prophetic vision foretelling the end of the multiverse as a whole." but when he cracked the pages his eyes went wild "...this...this is the original manuscript! Where did you find such a treasure?"

Fisk had a book recipes he was going to give them, and someone could find it in his possessions. Same with Simon, although I don't remember what he was going to use, nor can I find it searching the thread.


m LE half-elf Warlock 5 | HP 47/47, THP 0/8 | AC 14 | Saves: Str 0, Dex +2, Con +2, Int +1, Wis +3, Cha +7 | Perc 10 | Init +2 | DV60' | HD 0/5 | Inspiration - | Talisman 2/3 | Spells 1/2 | Invis -, Spray + | Cloak - | -

Simon planned to sort it out on the go. To compose a poem or something. But now Simon is a object, not subject...


AvernusArt 2Grid

Well, did he write it during some freetime during the journey? Or you mean he intended to write it here at the gate? Its your call.


m LE half-elf Warlock 5 | HP 47/47, THP 0/8 | AC 14 | Saves: Str 0, Dex +2, Con +2, Int +1, Wis +3, Cha +7 | Perc 10 | Init +2 | DV60' | HD 0/5 | Inspiration - | Talisman 2/3 | Spells 1/2 | Invis -, Spray + | Cloak - | -

He didn't write anything in advance. He heard that some bards were composing poems right outside the walls of Candlekeep, and since Simon unreasonably considers himself an extremely talented person... You get it, I think.


AvernusArt 2Grid

Ok, no problem, just wanted to get it right.

After plundering the statue of Simon's possessions, it becomes clear the stone noble has no offering of his own. Clancy firmly denies his entrance "...I'm sorry, but you will have to leave that outside." pointing off towards the edge of the cliff to a small, wooden open air gable. "There is a small camping area there the rejected use to prepare their journey back inland. I suggest you put it underneath to protect from the elements...it has been rather stormy as of late. It's rare monsters wander this close to the gate, but at times bears or cunning dryads linger here. I cannot guarantee it will stay in one piece if left alone."


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5
GM Infinity wrote:


Finally it was Grim's turn and the black tome Apocalypto exchanged hands. "Ah, you have good taste...a classic prophetic vision foretelling the end of the multiverse as a whole." but when he cracked the pages his eyes went wild "...this...this is the original manuscript! Where did you find such a treasure?"

Its a real pity you don't put that in the credit column for future visits, the priest says sourly.

Look? Is that Fisk chap getting in on the strength of his master? If so... .

Grim rummages through the silent Fisks backpack. Maybe his book could count for yon Simon over there?

2,651 to 2,700 of 3,278 << first < prev | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / [5e] Descent into Avernus Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.