[5e] Descent into Avernus

Game Master mishima


2,251 to 2,300 of 3,284 << first < prev | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | next > last >>

AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

Healing word as 2nd level on Donal

2d4 + 3 ⇒ (4, 2) + 3 = 9

In underclothes with shield...

Cut down hobbo...

1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11 for 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

I just realized that perhaps even with the Action Surge, I may not have been able to reach the hobgoblin... If not, I would take the Dodge action instead of attacking...


AvernusArt 2Grid

Don, you are right but its my fault...I was looking at light radius, not your actual position when I said 60. Archer started at 100 from camp, then moved back 130 from camp. Don moved 90, so lets just fudge the last 40 and say you reached melee. His directions got confused being immolated by hellfire. Archer1, Donal and Grim are 90ft from camp. NPCs to go.

Donal crashes into the warrior's wet leathers, minding the skill that went into its make...this hobgoblin is rather well-outfitted. It isn't good enough to prevent the smug goblinoid face from getting crushed in by the Eye of Zariel, however. Likewise the patient halfling hunter in the rocks chooses that moment to release a one-in-a-million shot from the other side of the battlefield, showing the hobgoblin who the real archer is.

The Doomguide does what he can for the poor watchman that pulled the archer's relentless attention, but one foot skids across a mud puddle throwing his sword arm off balance.

Fisk puts some attention to the horsethief scrambling in the campfire's light, getting a bead on him from beneath the cart...

Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5
Attack, adv hidden: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20
Dmg+Sneak: 1d6 + 2d6 + 2 ⇒ (3) + (6, 3) + 2 = 14

Multiattack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

...finding a moment in the hustle where the hobgoblin exposes himself, lacking the heart to kill the horse.

Reya mounts her mastiff and charges forth to also attack the horsethief...

Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25
Crit Dmg: 2d8 + 3 ⇒ (1, 1) + 3 = 5 herp derp

Multiattack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21
Dmg: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8

...getting a pair of good thrusts on the hobgoblin who is distracted with ropework.

Archer1(decoy) 27/75
Archer2(horsethief) 48/75
Donal 10/37

Round 3:
Archers <---UP
Mal, Simon, Fisk, Reya, Grim, Donal


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Thanks! With 10 hp left this is going to be close! We still have another sucker to beat...


AvernusArt 2Grid

The archer who had played decoy on the outskirts of camp drops his bow faced with Donal and Grim, drawing a gladius from his thigh "Die with honor, humans..." stabbing forward the wicked steel at high speed...

Attack: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20
Dmg: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9
Multittack: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19
Dmg: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10

Sorry Don, unconscious and prone.

Laughing in Grim's face "Huh, huh, huh...missing something?" pointing back towards the camp with its Donal-blood covered blade. A glance shows the second archer secure one of the Fist's destriers to his saddle, before riding out of the light.

Horse disengages, carrying its rider and one of the destriers away from Reya without OA.

So, Grim is 90 ft from camp in one direction with Archer1 in melee, light from Donal's shield and a few small, dying brush fires from Simon's fireball. Archer2 has stolen a horse and is fleeing, now 50 ft in the other direction. Donal is down. Simon and Malaric are the only ones who can see the horsethief, him being now beyond the campfire's light (but all can hear the galloping hooves receding).

Round 3:
Archers
Mal, Simon, Fisk, Reya, Grim, Donal <---UP


Halfling Dragonslayer | HP: 33/34 | 0/1d8 & 0d6 | Disguise 1/1 | Camo 2/3 | Recover 0/3 | Fast Rit 1/1 |1st 3/4 | 2nd 1/3 | Inspiration!
Stats:
AC 15 | Str -1 Dex +6 Con +2 Int +7 Wis +1 Cha -1 | Init +3 | Perc +7, Darkvision 120 ft | Insight +1

Mal reloads and shoots the hobgoblin horsethief.
crossbow: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 191d8 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7
if sneakable: 1d6 ⇒ 3

Then, he ducks down and moves.
Stealth: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21

Move another 15 feet


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Geez, can't roll below a 19, eh? You haven't missed me with a single attack yet!


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Death Save 1: 1d20 ⇒ 2 1 fail. Pretty close to a nat 1!


AvernusArt 2Grid

Don, sorry...to be fair until now it had advantage from unseen, but yeah lucky rolls and a deadly encounter with some fresh MoM monsters. Mal, you have advantage on the attack from your Hide last round if you want to try for crit. The Hide DC (his pp) for future reference is 15.

Grim and Simon to go.


Halfling Dragonslayer | HP: 33/34 | 0/1d8 & 0d6 | Disguise 1/1 | Camo 2/3 | Recover 0/3 | Fast Rit 1/1 |1st 3/4 | 2nd 1/3 | Inspiration!
Stats:
AC 15 | Str -1 Dex +6 Con +2 Int +7 Wis +1 Cha -1 | Init +3 | Perc +7, Darkvision 120 ft | Insight +1

advantage: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Ha ha, even if it had not, every attack would have hit. Like I said, 19 was the lowest result, I believe... (Which is my AC.) No worries though. I just hate this dice roller. Sometimes you have a crazy streak, bad or good... >.<

EDIT: As for Mal, remember that the Passive Perception is reduced by 5 if Mal is in complete darkness (as it is treated as dim light). Though, if there is a moon, that might bump it up to dim light (bright light for darkvision)... Of course, it is your call.


AvernusArt 2Grid

Re: Mal, great point, I think this last turn indeed puts him out of the campfire radius (20+15+15>40) meaning DC reduced to 10. There is no moon or starlight because of the raining overcast clouds. Thanks.


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Score points for DM help! ^_^


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

Healing word as 2nd level spell on Donal. 2d4 + 3 ⇒ (4, 3) + 3 = 10

Counter attack...

1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8 for 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11

-Now AC 13-

Used of fighting in armour fighting barefoot in the rain has him at a distinct loss.


m LE half-elf Warlock 5 | HP 47/47, THP 0/8 | AC 14 | Saves: Str 0, Dex +2, Con +2, Int +1, Wis +3, Cha +7 | Perc 10 | Init +2 | DV60' | HD 0/5 | Inspiration - | Talisman 2/3 | Spells 1/2 | Invis -, Spray + | Cloak - | -

Approach! Command, DC15 Wis

The only word escapes from Simon's mouth when he sees that someone is stealing our horses and is already running away with it... or rather on it.

After that, noble will retreat a little behind Reya's back so that the thief has to approach longer (and maybe he got AoO).


AvernusArt 2Grid

Wis vs Simon: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

Simon senses his patron's magics seeping into the raider's id, igniting a passionate instinct to return...one he cannot refuse. Takes effect on their turn.

Donal, Grim is ahead of you in turn order. You can go ahead and take a turn this round.


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Donal snaps to, leaping to his feet with an uppercut swing with his mace!

+1 mace: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22
damage w spec training: 1d6 + 4 + 1d6 ⇒ (3) + 4 + (6) = 13


AvernusArt 2Grid

Malaric sends a bolt arcing across the darkness, uncannily striking the fleeing horsethief in the back. Simon blares his infernal command and the hooves slow to a patter.

Fisk loses the horsethief in the dark and the rain, but finds Grim's light as a beacon on Donal's shield...

Bonus Hide: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8
Attack: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8
Multiattack: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18
Sneak+Dmg: 3d6 + 2 ⇒ (6, 5, 6) + 2 = 19

...and the spy smirks as a skillful shot finds the hobgoblin's neck.

Reya likewise can't see the horsethief, but waits on the edge of the campfire light atop her giant mastiff for any sign of the foe. Meanwhile across the battlefield Kelemvor's mercy again brings the Tormtar back on his feet, who wastes no time extracting revenge on the dead-eye archer that had ambushed his watch. Archer1 dead.

Round 4:
Archers <---UP
Mal, Simon, Fisk, Reya, Grim, Donal


AvernusArt 2Grid

The horsethief hears nothing but the voice of a fiend, promising riches, fame, eternal honor...everything if only he would return to the camp. The weakminded goblin-kin cannot resist the devil's sweet promises, and the two horses linked by rope make a quick turn to charge back towards the camp.

Reya's Ready: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12

*WhifFf*

A streak of the Hellrider's silver sword announces the hobgoblin's arrival. Horses and rider bound directly towards the noble warlock, coming to a stop only when directly upon Simon.

Only one enemy, the horsethief, remains. He is adjacent to Simon, and mounted. His mount is tied via rope to one of the party's destriers. Grim and Donal are 90 ft away. Malaric is 50 ft away, outside campfire light. Fisk and Reya are within a move.

Archer2(horsethief) 48/75
Donal 10/37

Round 4:
Archers
Mal, Simon, Fisk, Reya, Grim, Donal <---UP


Halfling Dragonslayer | HP: 33/34 | 0/1d8 & 0d6 | Disguise 1/1 | Camo 2/3 | Recover 0/3 | Fast Rit 1/1 |1st 3/4 | 2nd 1/3 | Inspiration!
Stats:
AC 15 | Str -1 Dex +6 Con +2 Int +7 Wis +1 Cha -1 | Init +3 | Perc +7, Darkvision 120 ft | Insight +1

posting on my phone to hopefully end combat fast

Cast Suggestion

Mal shouts, ”there’s been a mistake! We’re friends! Dismount and share our camp!”

Then he sneakily moves back to the camp.
Stealth: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10


AvernusArt 2Grid

vs DC 13: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19

The hobgoblin grunts in confusion at the unseen voice, before snarling in anger.


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Donal sprints toward the remaining archer... Move and Dash!


m LE half-elf Warlock 5 | HP 47/47, THP 0/8 | AC 14 | Saves: Str 0, Dex +2, Con +2, Int +1, Wis +3, Cha +7 | Perc 10 | Init +2 | DV60' | HD 0/5 | Inspiration - | Talisman 2/3 | Spells 1/2 | Invis -, Spray + | Cloak - | -

Simon looks haughtily at the thief. And now prostrate yourself before me! For I am a noble lord and you are just a nobody. Fall face down in the dirt, where you belong!

Command, DC 15 wis, Grovel


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

Guiding bolt at remaining archer

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7 for 4d6 ⇒ (4, 5, 6, 4) = 19

We have two inspiration, right?

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13

Now down to the regular amount. Getting above 10 is hard :D


AvernusArt 2Grid

vs Simon: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13

Simon's voice thunders with a sinister timbre, and the hobgoblin's eyes go wide with shock. Command takes effect on its turn.

Fisk scuttles backwards from under the cart, disappearing behind...

Bonus Hide: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22

...only to reappear resting a steadied hand crossbow on his elbow, leveled right at the would-be-thief's skull.

Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24
Attack, adv: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22
Crit Sneak!: 6d6 + 2 ⇒ (4, 3, 3, 2, 2, 2) + 2 = 18
Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22
Dmg: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

18, 20, 18, 18...this is why my NPC license needs revoking.

The bolt catches the raider's leather cap, puncturing a clean hole in the treated hide with a *pop*...likely the only thing keeping the deadly quarrel from punching straight through.

Reya followed such marksmanship with a furious charge, blade held high...

Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
Dmg: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4
Multiattack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8

...but her spring attack left a much less noticeable mark on the creature.

Suddenly a burst of radiance left Grim's hand, cutting and sizzling through the raindrops like a divine banshee...but it seemed some greater power had already claimed the rider. Donal followed the light rapidly, able to run with his wounds staunched by the holy prayers.

Archer2(horsethief) 23/75
Donal 10/37

Round 5:
Archers <---UP
Mal, Simon, Fisk, Reya, Grim, Donal


AvernusArt 2Grid

The horsethief looks past Simon as it calmly dismounts, not ignoring the gaze of its commander...rather enraptured by the ghostly visage of Bel that stands over him. The voice repeats, in the full ear-splitting terror of infernal "And now prostrate yourself before me! For I am a noble lord and you are just a nobody. Fall face down in the dirt, where you belong!" as the pit fiend's wings stretch outwards in glory. The hobgoblin has no choice but to obey the dark voice...

Prone. Advantage to melee, disadvantage to ranged. Everyone except Grim is within 30. Grim still at 90.

Round 5:
Archers
Mal, Simon, Fisk, Reya, Grim, Donal <---UP

23 hp with AC 16 remains. Party up.


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Donal covers the remaining distance and brings his mace down on its head!

+1 mace: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18
Advantage: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24
Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

Move 30 closer and guiding bolt...

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14 for 4d6 ⇒ (3, 5, 5, 3) = 16

- Yep, nothing above 10...


m LE half-elf Warlock 5 | HP 47/47, THP 0/8 | AC 14 | Saves: Str 0, Dex +2, Con +2, Int +1, Wis +3, Cha +7 | Perc 10 | Init +2 | DV60' | HD 0/5 | Inspiration - | Talisman 2/3 | Spells 1/2 | Invis -, Spray + | Cloak - | -

Simon begins to speak the words in infernal. His face is distorted with fierce anger, in which madness is visible. His hand transforms for a moment into some kind of creepy scaly red claw, from the sharp talons of which something poisonous-green drips onto the grass, and at that moment he strikes a lying thief, burning him with acid.

Primal Savagery: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 171d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 81d10 ⇒ 6


AvernusArt 2Grid

Mal to go.


Halfling Dragonslayer | HP: 33/34 | 0/1d8 & 0d6 | Disguise 1/1 | Camo 2/3 | Recover 0/3 | Fast Rit 1/1 |1st 3/4 | 2nd 1/3 | Inspiration!
Stats:
AC 15 | Str -1 Dex +6 Con +2 Int +7 Wis +1 Cha -1 | Init +3 | Perc +7, Darkvision 120 ft | Insight +1

Mal wonders if Simon is possessed by a demon and discards the thought of shooting him with a bolt. Instead he continues to sneak back to camp, unsure if this is really the last hobgoblin

Stealth: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10


AvernusArt 2Grid

Mal creeps forward as the noble's acidic claws paint slashing shadows along the stones. Grim launches another radiant blast from the dark, while Donal closes quickly for a devastating overhand strike. Fisk takes aim, waiting for the moment the hobgoblin stands to make a strike. Reya on the other hand wastes no time...

Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19
Attack,adv: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18
Dmg: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9

Multiattack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25
Multiattack,adv: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18
Crit Dmg: 2d8 + 3 ⇒ (3, 4) + 3 = 10

...slashing a red 'X' on the fallen archer's chest.

Combat Over.


AvernusArt 2Grid

The excitement of battle fades as the steady drone of the rain and exhaustion from the day makes cleaning up the bodies a grim chore. These skirmishers were travelling light, with only a few provisions fit for those marauding about the sparse forest. The duo was equipped with things fit for hunting whatever vestiges of civilization pass through their perceived territory...

*Manacles and key
*Hunting trap
*2 longbows, 2 short swords, and 2 studded leathers (all of good quality and bearing the mark of the Thunderhammer smithy)
*Fletching kit (woodcarver's tools and an assortment of feathers, twine, and flintstone)
*a pair of Explorer's Packs
*a fancy letter written in a strange goblin script and sealed with black wax (which no one understands)

Additionally, it seems you now have an extra horse. While not quite the stunning feat of breeding and training the Fist's war destriers are, the friesian stallion is nevertheless well-cared for and equipped with a military style saddle (which grants advantage to saves against being dismounted) showing the careful, pragmatic craftsmanship of the war-loving race.

---

The remainder of Donal's watch passes without further incident, and the task passes onto Grim and Fisk. The Candlekeep agent tries passing the time with quiet, polite yet spooky conversation (fitting for a campfire), gently prodding the priest's knowledge and experience with the undead. Finally its Malaric's turn, and the rains abruptly come to a halt after one last windy squall burst.

Long rest complete for all.

---

The morning starts with a choking humidity that only increases as the sun rises higher and the musky, damp forest floor effuses its vapors. The night's storm appears to be worse than it seemed from your perch near the cliffside, knocking about smaller trees and spilling silt tracks with sudden flooding. Nonetheless, with the mounts fed and watered, you pack up your relatively dry camp and make your way back to the road and another long day of travel ahead.

Anyone doing anything in particular before we get back underway?


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Donal lets out a breath and spits, Hobgoblins...

The warrior begins to check the arrows embedded in his chest and shoulder...

Donal will spend some time working on his wounds.

EDIT: Nothing much for Donal. Sizing-wise, does it take much to fit the studded leathers for our folk? I figure the halflings won't fit, but having some light armor to sleep in might be better for watches.


AvernusArt 2Grid

Don, no problem with the armors. They are not a custom fit but designed for mass sales, with longer than usual adjustment straps and buckles. Medium indeed.


Halfling Dragonslayer | HP: 33/34 | 0/1d8 & 0d6 | Disguise 1/1 | Camo 2/3 | Recover 0/3 | Fast Rit 1/1 |1st 3/4 | 2nd 1/3 | Inspiration!
Stats:
AC 15 | Str -1 Dex +6 Con +2 Int +7 Wis +1 Cha -1 | Init +3 | Perc +7, Darkvision 120 ft | Insight +1

During his watch, Mal studies his new spellbook divine to Shar.

When breaking camp, he readies Corsair becoming more and more attached to the dog as his anxiety grows traveling further and further away from his home.


AvernusArt 2Grid

As dawn's colors fade from purples and oranges to blues and yellows, the foliage becomes thicker and thicker...but still not as dense as the true ancient, misty and magical Cloakwood covering the hills offroad far to the west.

Finally after about an hour, visibility is limited as wide-trunked hiexel, smooth twisting beeches and black branched elm trees line the road while the taller wide leafed felsul create a green canopy of shadows from high above...somewhat welcome given the heat and humidity of the sun that now burns in a cloudless sky. The thin twin wagon tracks of the road are much more overgrown here, yet still clearly visible where the rains haven't pockmarked or washed them out.

"Eyes sharp mates." Fisk calls from the cart behind you. "Sarsar's hobgobbies aren't the only vicious fey that claim these woodlands as their own..."

So, for this next stretch (covering about 8 hours) it's going to be an RP skill challenge. As a group (NPCs not participating) and similar to death saves the party needs 3 successes before 3 fails. The DC is hidden for the first (and possibly only) round of rolls. You can only pick a skill/tool your character has proficiency in. Finally, you can spend a long rest resource (from class or magic item) to give yourself Advantage on the roll.

Instead of giving you a single specific challenge, you are free to come up with problems that are tailored to your chosen skill and could showcase your character's expertise. For example, you might use Athletics to clear heavy storm debris from the road. You might use History to recall a geographical shortcut. Stealth might help avoid more roving bandits or other threats. Persuasion might deal with an annoying traveler making your life difficult. I encourage you to get creative, surprise me and make it fun...within the bounds of possibilities afforded by a mystical forest on the Sword Coast. If you'd like to see which skills are unique to your PC, check my tracker (though you are not required to choose a unique one).

The overall result will determine 1) if you make it to the Friendly Arm Inn tonight and 2) the nature of and how many encounters you find along the way.


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Donal keeps a lookout, pulling his hood up to help shade his eyes, without bringing his hand up to let on that he is scanning the area...

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

The priest spies a tangle of brush and deadwood blocking the path. Dismounting he takes it as an opportunity to exercise his muscles.

Athletics: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21

He stretches properly and takes care to use a lever of an old branch, and in short order, the obstruction is cleared.


m LE half-elf Warlock 5 | HP 47/47, THP 0/8 | AC 14 | Saves: Str 0, Dex +2, Con +2, Int +1, Wis +3, Cha +7 | Perc 10 | Init +2 | DV60' | HD 0/5 | Inspiration - | Talisman 2/3 | Spells 1/2 | Invis -, Spray + | Cloak - | -

History: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10

So. I remember this hillock. Here the knight Charles the Brave defeated a particularly annoying green wyvern. My distant relative, by the way. This means that we are now to the right and then to the left, so it will be the shortest.


Halfling Dragonslayer | HP: 33/34 | 0/1d8 & 0d6 | Disguise 1/1 | Camo 2/3 | Recover 0/3 | Fast Rit 1/1 |1st 3/4 | 2nd 1/3 | Inspiration!
Stats:
AC 15 | Str -1 Dex +6 Con +2 Int +7 Wis +1 Cha -1 | Init +3 | Perc +7, Darkvision 120 ft | Insight +1

So they came upon a family of tinkers traveling in the same direction, but so much slower. They had to slow down to get around them and when they approached the father and mother tinker hailed them for information and regaled them with stories. After ten minutes, it was clear that none of his polite companions could socially extract themselves from the conversation.

So, Mal sauntered up to the family atop Corsair and spun a yarn of urgency and dragons, such that he and his companions were in the middle of a legend which would one day be repeated by bards. The fate of Faerun depended on their immediate arrival to Candlekeep. And finally, the tinkers excused them to leave their conversation.

Deception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16


AvernusArt 2Grid

After a while, the party's caravan comes to a small clearing. Last night's storm seems to have loosed a massive mound of soils, causing a branch-infused mudslide to spill across the road. As the others scout an alternative way around, Grim isn't having it and quickly rides up to the blockade. Tying his hair back and cracking his knuckles, the Doomguide tosses log and bramble to the side...flinging them away like discarded rib-bones in a ravenous feast. Work that would break the average peasant's back barely breaks a sweat on the cleric's brow.

Reya returned from her scouting to find Grim just finishing up, blushing at the bulging, manly muscles. "...oooh my. I mean *ahem* that'll...that'll do it. That'll save some time..." she stammered awkwardly, her face still a bright crimson.

-----

Later the party was impeded by a rather annoying group of gnomes travelling north on their way from Amn, the Jansen clan. They had halted their riding lizards right there in the middle of the road and were setting a table with ornate tea cups and pastries. A sweet, younger girl seemed to be locked in some inane conversation with a psychotic looking elder.

The girl had rushed to his side, propping him up with a shoulder "You seem to be limping, Jan Junior. Have you been hurt recently?"

The other kerfuffled his giant nose and responded haughtily "No, lass, I'm not hurt, and the limp is not new. I've had it as long as you've known me. 'Tis a wooden leg, you see. I was smuggling crackers into Waterdeep several years back (the council had outlawed them due to near constant cracker-related debauchery, you see... I couldn't let THAT pass...)."

Continuing, though by this time Malaric had already well lost his patience "The council had sealed off all ports and mobilized the army to stop illegal cracker entry. The city was shut down, martial law was declared, and people huddled in their homes for fear and want of crackers. I could not stand idly by while such persecution was visited on the somewhat innocent peoples of Waterdeep. So I smuggled crackers. Salted, unsalted, and herb-riddled alike, it mattered not. All came in, and all were consumed in secret orgies of cracker-related tomfoolery."

"Then came the unpleasant business with the hanging. I hadn't seen Picklefeather's eyes bulge like that since that wyvern kicked him in the ba... (oops! Innocent lass, have to watch the tongue) uh... in the arm (yes, that will do). The moral of the story is, you reap what you steal. I still own a warehouse full of saltines. I send a box to all of my friends each year. Seem to have fewer friends each year as a result, but that's to be expected." nodding matter-of-factly.

Malaric had almost completed a top ten list of ways to kill them all, but the girl asked "What does that have to do with your wooden leg?"

"What wooden leg? I have no wooden leg." the old gnome confusedly stated.

Finally Malaric couldn't take it anymore, riding right on top of their tea table, and spinning a tale for the ages about dragons and Candlekeep. The shocked gnomes fell out of their chairs simultaneously at the story's conclusion, and wide-eyed they rapidly packed up and made way for the heroes. Their survival was a testament to the halfling's self-control.

-----

Shortly after, Simon held his hand to halt the procession, informing everyone of a shortcut he recognized. Taking a moments inspection, there was indeed a path through the trees, just wide enough for a wagon. After some non-committal shrugs from the others, it was decided to give the new path a try.

However, after about a hour of difficult travel uphill, Simon realized his mistake atop the hillock. For instead of the great battlefield of Charles the Brave, he found the ruined construction site of an Inn that never was...overgrown with moss and vines, little more than a foundation with a few half-high walls.

Donal was on point, scanning the area for any threats...but his hood concealed the swooping form of the great wyvern above, as it dived to attack!

*WeeOOh WeeOOOOH WeeOOH ooooOOOOOoooohh...*

Malaric's Warning dweomer spooked a flock of red birds that scattered into the blue sky, and everyone could see the terrible, leathery form of the wyvern swooping down upon them.

Had you not been informed of the scaly beasts before, you might've mistaken it for a dragon. The creature had powerful legs but no arms, instead more like a bat with a sort of functional limb embedded in the pair of talon-pointed wings. Its long tail ended in a greatsword of a stinger, and even from this distance you could tell it glistened, wet with poison. "RRRRAAAAAWWWWRRRR"

Inits:

Donal: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14
Evendur: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (12) + 0 = 12
Malaric: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15Mal, warning: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13
Simon: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15
Reya: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20
Fisk: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15
Wyvern: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (3) + 0 = 3

"Holy sh*t! Take cover!" screamed Fisk, grabbing his crossbow and diving into the stone ruins. Reya took a different tact, staying mounted and bravely raising her sword to ready an attack.

Round 1:
Reya, Fisk, Simon, Mal, Donal, Grim <--UP
Wyvern

Party now has 2 successes and 2 failures against DC 15. After this encounter, we'll conclude the skill challenge. New Art slide up.


AvernusArt 2Grid

Forgot to tell you range and such...

Distance: 2d6 ⇒ (5, 2) = 7*10 == 70 ft
Direction: 1d4 ⇒ 4 == west, meaning if you all are roughly in a caravan line, it is coming from the side with the ruins between you.

The ruins are a large area scattered on the hilltop, covering about an 80 x 50 area. Plenty of cover to hide/increase AC in the form of half-built walls, but no ceilings. If you are not within the ruins, it is difficult terrain (the floor was at least somewhat finished).


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Donal turns toward one of the ruins walls, sliding off his horse. Anyone mind if took one of the longbows? If no on minds..

The warrior strings the hobgoblin's bow and nocks an arrow...

Longbow: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18
damage: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8

EDIT: The aim is partial cover after firing the arrow.


Halfling Dragonslayer | HP: 33/34 | 0/1d8 & 0d6 | Disguise 1/1 | Camo 2/3 | Recover 0/3 | Fast Rit 1/1 |1st 3/4 | 2nd 1/3 | Inspiration!
Stats:
AC 15 | Str -1 Dex +6 Con +2 Int +7 Wis +1 Cha -1 | Init +3 | Perc +7, Darkvision 120 ft | Insight +1

Mal urges Corsair to follow Fisk and take cover in the ruins. If I could unlock the secrets of his new divine spell book, I know Shar would have destructive power to send against that dragon-wannabe. . The Shar disciple thinks while hiding.

Stealth: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

Guiding Bolt 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18 for 4d6 ⇒ (2, 4, 2, 2) = 10

Adv. for next attack


AvernusArt 2Grid

Grim's advantage will take effect round 2. Simon to go to finish round 1.


m LE half-elf Warlock 5 | HP 47/47, THP 0/8 | AC 14 | Saves: Str 0, Dex +2, Con +2, Int +1, Wis +3, Cha +7 | Perc 10 | Init +2 | DV60' | HD 0/5 | Inspiration - | Talisman 2/3 | Spells 1/2 | Invis -, Spray + | Cloak - | -

What's the big deal with giant lizards this time of year? There's one on the bridge, now there's another... Ugh.

Simon begins his usual chants, drawing strange patterns in the air, which briefly manifest themselves in barely noticeable streams of black, purple or red energy.

Eldritch Blast + Hex: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 91d10 + 4 + 1d6 ⇒ (7) + 4 + (2) = 13 - Hex: Str

However, the first shot of eldritch energy misses the wyvern.


AvernusArt 2Grid

Simon sends a crackling black beacon sweeping across the afternoon sky, the deft dragon drops a wing and plummets stories in the blink of an eye. Malaric creeps into the ruins, making sure to put solid stone between his halfling form and the hulking, flying scalekind.

The hobgoblin's bowstring was drenched the night before, but Donal had taken care to point it to the morning sun...and he now found its elasticity and range unimpeded. The sheaf arrow whistled a sharp release, arcing into the blue and finding its mark in the wyvern's hide. "SCREEER!"

Then it was, in that instant of recoil from such harmful marksmanship, the Doomguide's blinding bolt of radiance caught the great beast squarely in the chest...blazing brightly like a second sun.

Wyvern1 92/110 hp, 13 AC (str hexed, advantage on next attack)

Round 1:
Reya, Fisk(cover), Simon(hex), Mal(hidden), Donal(cover), Grim
Wyvern <--UP


AvernusArt 2Grid

Target Alpha, no cover: 1d3 ⇒ 3

Claws: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11
Stinger: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14
Piercing: 2d6 + 4 ⇒ (6, 6) + 4 = 16 +
Poison: 7d6 ⇒ (2, 4, 6, 4, 2, 1, 3) = 22 Con save Simon DC 15 for half

The wyvern plummets out of the sky, grabbing Simon with its claws. Remarkably, by shear luck they find no pass through his thick leather vestments...but the tail and its deadly stinger whip round, impaling the warlock terribly for an instant before the wyvern continues to fly past. This provokes an OA for you.

Simon:
::What are you doing?! You need me...I can hardly help from back here!:: the shield on your back screamed into your mind, even as the incessant song droned on.

The Wyvern is now 10 ft away from Simon who did not enter the ruins, so lets say 40 ft from those inside (Donal/Mal/Fisk), 20 ft for Reya/Grim.

Round 2:
Reya, Fisk(cover), Simon(hex), Mal(hidden), Donal(cover), Grim <--UP
Wyvern

Will get NPC actions after drink refill. ;P

2,251 to 2,300 of 3,284 << first < prev | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / [5e] Descent into Avernus Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.