[5e] Descent into Avernus

Game Master mishima


2,451 to 2,500 of 2,830 << first < prev | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | next > last >>

m LE half-elf Warlock 5 | HP 42/47, THP 0/8 | AC 14 | Saves: Str 0, Dex +2, Con +2, Int +1, Wis +3, Cha +7 | Perc 10 | Init +2 | DV60' | HD 0/5 | Inspiration - | Talisman 3/3 | Spells 1/2 | Invis -, Spray + | Cloak + | -

Con: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22
Con: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10
Con: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8
Con: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19
Con: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6
I'll spend my inspiration
Con: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19

PS Of course Royal! It's not a question of HD ))


AC18(20) |HP 40/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 3/[3] Inspiration [N] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 5/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

As much as a noble room beckons, tempting him... After all, you have position in the hierarchy now, a part of him he'd prefer not to acknowledge whispers, Evendur leans towards humility, and lays down the 8 silvers for the Merchant room and meal.

GM Infinity wrote:

At the Friendly Arm

When Grim mentions the blade's significance, the guard makes his best at a promise "It will be thrice under lock and key, and guarded day and night, good sire. I admit, in our history, one item has gone missing...a powerful wizard's ring called Evermemory. They reckon it rolled out a mouse hole and ended up outside the walls somewhere, but none ever found the tiny thing...probably magics were afoot, not a lack of security. But your blade's a holy relic, you say? Are you here for leisure, respite, or do you seek audience with the temple's Glitterbrights? Ah, well, pardon me for being nosey...only curious."

Travel and respite bring us here, he say's looking around. A marvellous place you have here. As for a meeting with your priesthood? The Glitterbrights? This might be very helpful. I would be grateful if it were possible. We have questions about Candlekeep and about some difficulties of a more... supernatural nature.


Halfling Scoundrel | HP: 34/34 | 1/1d8 & 4d6 | Disguise 1/1 | Camo 3/3 | Recover 3/3 | Fast Rit 1/1 |1st 4/4 | 2nd 3/3 | Inspiration!
Stats:
AC 15 | Str -1 Dex +6 Con +2 Int +7 Wis +1 Cha -1 | Initiative +3 | Perception +7, Darkvision 120 ft | Insight +1

"A merchant room and a small beer for me." Malaric replies settling in the chair, regular-size for him with all of the gnomes around.

Surveying the room, he perks up and says to everyone, "hey Simon. Didn't that barmaid take your precious shield?" The dragonslayer fails to conceal a grin at the dig.


AvernusArt 2 Art

Back at the gate house...

The guard politely reviews Simon's documents, mumbling the words aloud as he reads. You detect a slight uncomfortableness at the words 'Baldur's Gate' but the man quickly plays it off "Aha, of course m'Lord. I hope you find the furnishings in accordance with your custom."

By the way Simon, the poisoned condition is gone as well from your 3 successes.

When Grim inquires further about the Glitterbrights "Aye, aye, you don't need an appointment, temples just yonder..." he pulls a page from a stack of paper nearby "You'll just need to sign this waiver here, and here...for your own safety of course. Sometimes the pranks can be a bit...complex. My advice? You make the first strike, set the right tone." he winks. The text, as much as you can penetrate the gnomish legalese, basically frees the priests of any legal repercussions that might arise from a sudden loss of pants, unexpected cream pie to the face, rashes resulting from a long list of adhesives, and so forth.

Inside the Friendly Arm Inn

Turfsurvey nods as his mechanical third arm drops the boiled carrot and reaches under the counter for a metallic tankard. Some kind of electric magnet grasps at the container before rapidly propelling it across the room. With uncanny dexterity, a server wench snatches it from the air and gives the gnome a glance. "Amnian Thick and a fresh plate!" he bellows, and the wench hustles off. As an afterthought, the innkeeper slides a drink menu over written in fancy calligraphy.

Topping the list is Alurlyath Wine, a wine crafted somewhere in the depths of Undermountain and sold through the smuggler town of Skullport...a sweet white with a slight nutty aftertaste that glowed with silver and green light. Its sold in unique ceramic containers to preserve the light under ready to consume. Then there was Arabellan Dry Wine exported from northern Cormyr, a traditional red with woodsy undertones and a hint of berry. For others the Bitter Black Ale was sold in large quantities, another Arabel export with a deep brown head. Elminster's Choice Beer is a popular Immersea specialty, clouded with yeast and featuring a smokey aftertaste. The elvish prize Evermead was also available, too sweet for most and carrying notes of cherry, vanilla, and rose petal. Sages claim the taste resembled the Upper Planes. Finally there was Shadowdark Ale from the east, which was almost more of a lager. The list was peppered with a few other favorites as well, not surprising given the Inn's position on the Coast Way.

Malaric prods Simon about the wench with a flash of chaos in his eyes. Schnartank overhears the accusation and scoffs "Wait, one of my wenches...stole??? Impossible. Improbable. Well, you might be right actually. Bonecaller the Eternal!" he calls, and shockingly the woman responds as if that is her actual name. As she rushes closer everyone can see the resemblance to the wench from before, down to the tiniest detail. "Yes, what's that you say, a shield? *ahem* Bonecaller. These men say you've taken something that does not belong to you. We've talked about this...I thought we had established some ground rules. Am I going to have to put you in the hole again?"

Terrified, Bonecaller the Eternal responds "What?! No..sir, I...my lords please..." she curtsies "There's some mistake, I've taken nothing I know of..."

"*sigh* Bonecaller..." Turfsuvey admonishes the woman in disbelief.

"Honest!" she pleads.


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 25/47 | 5 HD (3 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Grim, Donal starts, Can you tell if she's fiendish?

The dour warrior turns back to the innkeep and continues, She had the stench of the Hells on her and traveled with some diseased soldiers.


AC18(20) |HP 40/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 3/[3] Inspiration [N] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 5/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5
Donal the Seeker wrote:

Grim, Donal starts, Can you tell if she's fiendish?

The dour warrior turns back to the innkeep and continues, She had the stench of the Hells on her and traveled with some diseased soldiers.

I have... something... it would hold out any otherworldly creature. If she crosses the barrier? She's human. But that said? I'd bet the demon spawn merely slept with the poor wretch yonder, then copied her appearance. Given her nickname? I imagine she's somewhat flexible on who she shares her pallet with. I COULD use the spell but... , he looks down at his bound thumb pointedly.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
m LE half-elf Warlock 5 | HP 42/47, THP 0/8 | AC 14 | Saves: Str 0, Dex +2, Con +2, Int +1, Wis +3, Cha +7 | Perc 10 | Init +2 | DV60' | HD 0/5 | Inspiration - | Talisman 3/3 | Spells 1/2 | Invis -, Spray + | Cloak + | -

Malarik, your excellent sense of humor can only compete with your heroic height. Simon sighs and gestures that he wants cormyrian red wine. I'll meet that thing again, I promise. I 'll rip out her eyes and ... it doesn't matter. And I will return the shield, let's say. I know where she went. That 's pretty... deep. But I'm not afraid of a dangerous descent. He speaks almost calmly, but the knuckles on his hands turn pale when he clenches his fist. By the end of his speech, Simon looks at his palm in surprise and sees traces of blood from his own nails. He looks thoughtfully at the small wounds and already speaks as if to himself in a whisper. I swear. We'll meet again... Eltan's word.


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 25/47 | 5 HD (3 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Donal frowns, Oh yeah, I forgot.

Turning to the innkeep, Just be aware that your compound has been compromised. A hellspawn was dressed as your girl there.


Halfling Scoundrel | HP: 34/34 | 1/1d8 & 4d6 | Disguise 1/1 | Camo 3/3 | Recover 3/3 | Fast Rit 1/1 |1st 4/4 | 2nd 3/3 | Inspiration!
Stats:
AC 15 | Str -1 Dex +6 Con +2 Int +7 Wis +1 Cha -1 | Initiative +3 | Perception +7, Darkvision 120 ft | Insight +1

Malaric smiles widely at Simon taking his jest well, so he turns to save the barmaid, "Bonecaller! I'm sure that I was mistaken. Although, the thief had a striking resemblance to you. I'll have an Elminster's Choice and be able to save you from your boss. Wouldn't want you put in a hole on my account."

The dragonslayer sounded more cheerful than normal; although, you don't remember sharing a beer with the morose halfling in a while. Something is different. His natural charm seems diminished, replaced with a sparkle of enlightenment in his eyes.


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 25/47 | 5 HD (3 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

After offering his warning to the innkeep, Donal gestures his companions to a table in the common room. Then, after taking seats, he asks, Does anyone have any business here? If that hellb&@ch is here, we should partner up when heading anywhere on the compound.


AC18(20) |HP 40/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 3/[3] Inspiration [N] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 5/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

Taking to the local pries... err... sage... umm... Dignitaries, he concludes after some mental adjustments, It might help.


AvernusArt 2 Art

The gnome seems unsure of Donal's words, unsure or perhaps unwilling to believe. But there was definitely a hint of recognition in his face when Donal mentioned the diseased men. "Oh yes we did turn away a group of men from the gate, carrying a nasty mix of diseases and further concealing it beneath illusion. But you have to get up pretty early in the morning to sneak one past the Glitterbrights! They wore the customs of Amn beneath their arcane disguise, yet carried the currency of Tethyr...and if it helps, one of them dropped this." he slides another strange coin across the bar, about the size of a normal gold coin but 3 times as dense. It had no heads or tails, but rather a single eye surrounded by 8 evenly spaced geometric diamond shapes...then again surrounded by an outer ring holding groups of 3 diamond shapes, again 8 groups in total. "I've seen a lot of coin, but this one bears a unique mint. Do you know it?" None of you have ever seen anything like it.

Turfsurvey's shoulders remained tense, including the 3rd mechanical shoulder in his chest...but all tension is released when Malaric suggests his mistake, and were the room not roaring with activity no doubt an audible sigh would've been detected crossing Schnartank's tiny lips.

At a nearby table a group of guys were enjoying some cards when one of them slapped the other on the arm "Oy, d'tha halfling just offer his bank account for the Bonecaller's hole?" before they all burst into laughter.

The wench for her part was delighted to have the matter at least partially resolved, and went about fetching the drinks and plates of food for the hungry warriors. When she returned with strong arms full of deliciousness she confided in the Dragonslayer "Its not so bad down there these days to be honest, now they've put the carpet and sofa. But thank you." before being called off to other strange patrons.


Halfling Scoundrel | HP: 34/34 | 1/1d8 & 4d6 | Disguise 1/1 | Camo 3/3 | Recover 3/3 | Fast Rit 1/1 |1st 4/4 | 2nd 3/3 | Inspiration!
Stats:
AC 15 | Str -1 Dex +6 Con +2 Int +7 Wis +1 Cha -1 | Initiative +3 | Perception +7, Darkvision 120 ft | Insight +1

Malaric laughs loudly at the joke at his expense and raises his glass to toast the jokester.

Conspiratorially to his companions, Mal shares, "I sincerely doubt the cambion is here. It's probably taken the shield to its liege lord."

"Let's just listen for what we can discover here, and be on our way tomorrow dawn."

He surveys the room listening and looking for clues which could aid them.
Investigation: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26


AC18(20) |HP 40/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 3/[3] Inspiration [N] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 5/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

Before he enjoys a few drinks, Evendur resolves to face the Glitterblights sober.

He will enjoy his dinner first.


AvernusArt 2 Art

Mal, as the perennial rumor monger you can't help delve into the chaos of the crowd, feeling for those juicy bits of sweet, sweet information...

Tidbits: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

One discussion regards the construction of an inn to the north, which seems to match the description of the site of your wyvern encounter. According to this ranger, a wizard forged a shield guardian and learned how to control the thing with a special amulet. He believed with such a champion he could weather the challenges of the Cloakwood and build a new outpost to further defend the northern Coast Way. Its been a month though and none have heard of his fate, the ranger noting the challenges of reaching the hilltop alive. There was the possibility of finding the Shield Guardian Amulet in that pile of grossness and the shield guardian itself up there in the surrounding trees.

Another eyebrow raising discussion regards the road south of the Friendly Arm, your future destination. A group of gnomes from the Church of Gond in Baldur's Gate awaits the arrival of a malfunctioning 'Clockwork Bolter'...apparently a war machine of some terrible design able to fire lances, grappling harpoons, and explosive fireballs while being resistant to most magical effects. The wheeled ballista sounds almost sentient the way they describe it. One of the gnomes is aggravated at the delay of its delivery and postulates "They shoulda just removed its Control Core, would've been easier to transport. Besides, that's where all the animating magics come from...you could put that Core into just about any vehicle and get an interesting machine as a result."


AvernusArt 2 Art

Grim, after getting a full belly of greasy mutton, a walk about the grounds sounds rather nice and besides you wanted to chat the prankster priests known as Glitterbrights. Outside a combination of magical and mundane lighting keeps the space looking both orderly and beautiful even at this time of night. Meanwhile the door to the temple is still halfway ajar, and seems very inviting. The sliver of a glance you get though the crack in the door reveals a very decorated space inside, bordering on gaudiness. The back wall is lined with potions of all kinds.

Perception DC 20:
Ha, very clever. It appears a trap has been set over the door, a bucket full of gods knows what has been arranged above the door to fall on whoever walks through first. There's no way you would've spotted it from outside, and can only see it from the reflection in the glass bottles. Perhaps you should send someone else in first to 'disarm' the thing...;)


AC18(20) |HP 40/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 3/[3] Inspiration [N] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 5/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19 Nope

He gives a knock on the door out of politeness.

Hello, anyone here?


AvernusArt 2 Art

You hear some giggling then "sssh...shutup, shutup...*ahem* Come right in!"

Anyone else visiting the temple with Grim after dinner?


Halfling Scoundrel | HP: 34/34 | 1/1d8 & 4d6 | Disguise 1/1 | Camo 3/3 | Recover 3/3 | Fast Rit 1/1 |1st 4/4 | 2nd 3/3 | Inspiration!
Stats:
AC 15 | Str -1 Dex +6 Con +2 Int +7 Wis +1 Cha -1 | Initiative +3 | Perception +7, Darkvision 120 ft | Insight +1

Malaric files those two stories in the back of his memory. After supper and enough celebration of life, the dragonslayer excuses himself to retire for the evening.

In his room, he makes his devotions to the Lady of Darkness and study his new spellbook.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
AvernusArt 2 Art

Mal, as you study your spellbook in communion with the Nightbringer and her Shadow Weave, the symbols seem to move, flip and rearrange as they silently communicate with you in an odd dialect of Undercommon...glancing at the white moon shedding light through your window, it becomes eclipsed with a deep red haze...

~~Some say the Shadowfell hates the light of the many worlds, yet my realm connects them all...it is the one mirror that shapes their many lights. This mirror, bent and creased by my own hand, can likewise trap any light...such are my dreaded domains.~~

A final series of symbols spells out 'Companion of Light'...a translation you recall Reya giving for 'Zariel'.

Finally, you remember one of your worst memories, but feel it soon carried away by the symbols of your book...nearly forgotten in totality, to match the eclipse of Selune.


AC18(20) |HP 40/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 3/[3] Inspiration [N] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 5/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

Evendur shugs and walks in.


m LE half-elf Warlock 5 | HP 42/47, THP 0/8 | AC 14 | Saves: Str 0, Dex +2, Con +2, Int +1, Wis +3, Cha +7 | Perc 10 | Init +2 | DV60' | HD 0/5 | Inspiration - | Talisman 3/3 | Spells 1/2 | Invis -, Spray + | Cloak + | -

Having eaten enough, Simon decides to take a walk and go with Evendur. As a person who grew up in a noble family, he firmly knew that the most dangerous places are those where everyone assures of the absolute safety of this place. It is in such places that young barons grab a bluish throat after drinking poison, and someone's unwanted favorite is found with a stiletto in her chest in the gardens nearby... Indulging in such thoughts, Eltan decides to walk with his companion.


AvernusArt 2 Art

*slooOsh glOrp*

A black, oily substance pours down rapidly from above as the bucket is tilted on its axis...

Grim, you can make a dex save DC 15 to avoid getting drenched.


AC18(20) |HP 40/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 3/[3] Inspiration [N] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 5/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18

The priest jumps nimbly to one side, confused and astonished.

What in the heavens?


AvernusArt 2 Art

The trio of gnomes sighs a collective chorus of "Awwww..." as the magical oil of slipperiness splashes on the ground, quickly reacting and evaporating uselessly. Two of them then pay a third with little handfuls of colored glass baubles.

"It was a fine attempt, but 4 times in a row is just pushing your luck. Now watch and learn..." the winner asserts, this older woman with spiky purple hair striding forth to greet Grim at the door with an open hand offered for shaking. "Welcome to the Shrine of the Short! AKA the 'Temple of Wisdom'...Shambat Falseballs is the name. This is acolyte Snatchbag and our resident paladin Scudmeister."

Grim, from what you've ever heard about this religion, you know there are only a handful of Glittergold paladins in all of Faerun...what a treat(?) to meet one.

"Oh...forgive us our little tricks. A great prank can help to lighten hard times and make good ones shine. Communities only grow when hard work combines with equally hard play, don't you agree? Have you perhaps come for some of our clever concoctions?" Falseballs hypothesizes.

Snatchbag adds, twinkling their pinky fingers on both hands "Or maybe our spellcasting services?!"

Scudmeister is obviously the most reserved of the trio, and listens patiently.

Every potion and oil in 5e is available for purchase here, at a reasonable price. A mix of arcane and cleric spells up to 4th is also available.


AC18(20) |HP 40/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 3/[3] Inspiration [N] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 5/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

The priest is somewhat dubious of the offer.

That handshake isn't loaded like a crossbow is it?, he says examining the outstretched hand as best he can.

Your God may be the the God of humour, but my God is Kelemvor, he says indicating his holy symbol. That means I get the LAST laugh, he says sternly, almost melodramatically.

He lets it sit in the air a moment before saying with a faint smile.

Thats a joke... we don't have many but think it's a good one.

I am actually here for your counsel and for information. Mind if we sit and talk? I'm happy to have a bottle of wine brought over, if that will help.


m LE half-elf Warlock 5 | HP 42/47, THP 0/8 | AC 14 | Saves: Str 0, Dex +2, Con +2, Int +1, Wis +3, Cha +7 | Perc 10 | Init +2 | DV60' | HD 0/5 | Inspiration - | Talisman 3/3 | Spells 1/2 | Invis -, Spray + | Cloak + | -

Simon, who was almost doused from a bucket, chuckles. Of course, if he went first and didn't have time to dodge, the reaction would be absolutely frenzied. But it wasn't him who was dodging the bucket right now. So...

Yes, let's like a bottle of your best wine. And without tricks. I'm buying.

Simon also thinks about what useful things could be bought from these guys.

GM, is there something obviously useful spell in 5e against half-demons like the one that stole my shield? "My" )) By the way, can the Suggestion Spell with wording like "give me the shield" work on him at a meeting?


AvernusArt 2 Art

Grim, sure enough, upon close inspection of the offered hand it is in fact a prosthetic limb...designed to detach at the wrist at a slight touch. When you foil the prank the trio collectively sighs again "Awww...this one is too clever."

When the 'last laugh' is mentioned they look at each other and blink a few times before having a giggle fit. "HAHAHA I get it, because you're dead." their open-mouthed laughter reveals a surprisingly large ratio of gold teeth.

The gnomes agree to counsel and soon the Alurlyath Wine is brought in, the wax on the cool ceramic casks cut, and indeed the nutty glowing silver and green wine pours freely. The three seem eager to assist Grim and Simon in any way they can.

When Simon mentions the half-demon, Falseballs wracks her brain, cleans her ears with a corkscrewing pinky, blows her nose, and finally responds "Incubi and succubi breed such monsters from the seduction of mortals...'cambion' they are called, from the old common meaning 'crooked exchange'. Many have the same powerful enchantments of their full-blooded parent...but yes there's a trick! A delicate planar veil can be erected around the body, one that draws from the metaphysical properties of alignment. Eh, think of it like this...the magic senses evil and repels its attacks. It would prevent you from being charmed, frightened, or even possessed. The spell is called 'Protection from Evil'." nodding to herself satisfactorily. "Well, its not a very popular spell really...but a good one!"


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 25/47 | 5 HD (3 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Donal looks around, realizing that everyone has gone and shakes his head, So much for the buddy system. I need a bath.

The warrior, road-weary, asks the innkeep, You have baths in the room or a bath house somewhere? Time to wash the stink off...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
AC18(20) |HP 40/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 3/[3] Inspiration [N] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 5/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

Everyone knows bathing alone is a good way to draw the killer out..l either that or teenage hook ups...


m LE half-elf Warlock 5 | HP 42/47, THP 0/8 | AC 14 | Saves: Str 0, Dex +2, Con +2, Int +1, Wis +3, Cha +7 | Perc 10 | Init +2 | DV60' | HD 0/5 | Inspiration - | Talisman 3/3 | Spells 1/2 | Invis -, Spray + | Cloak + | -

I thought you would offer something more original. However, it will come in handy. Bring me such scrolls.


AvernusArt 2 Art

Adjusting her glasses "Well...I've heard the advanced clergy of Mystra can banish fiends instantly the way others blast undead apart. They are rare these days though." Snatchbag the acolyte informs.

Scudmeister the paladin shook her head and grumbled "To think...a fiend in these parts slipped past me. What did it call itself, do you know?"

Meanwhile Falseballs was digging about a stationery desk, unfurling some old yet well cared for scrolls...

1d4 ⇒ 2

Simon, they have 2 scrolls of that spell available. Asking price 125 gp per scroll. It might be cheaper to purchase 1 and have your new wizard Mal scribe more. However you'd like to do it. Scribe time is 1 day for 1st level spell.

Grim, what did you want to chat the gnomes about?


m LE half-elf Warlock 5 | HP 42/47, THP 0/8 | AC 14 | Saves: Str 0, Dex +2, Con +2, Int +1, Wis +3, Cha +7 | Perc 10 | Init +2 | DV60' | HD 0/5 | Inspiration - | Talisman 3/3 | Spells 1/2 | Invis -, Spray + | Cloak + | -

Thanks. I'll take one.


AvernusArt 2 Art

Donal, while the servants could have been much more zippy about it, eventually you do get a hot bath with perfume oils and incense worthy of northbound Calishite trader.

Will get you all back on the road later today, we can time jump to accommodate the Grim/gnomes conversation.


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 25/47 | 5 HD (3 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Soaking his aching muscles, Donal wonders what they will find at the famed library... The root of this insidious infernal corruption, perhaps?


AvernusArt 2 Art

Bidding Turfsurvey, Falseballs, Bonecaller and all the other wacky gnomes and questionably deadly wenches a fond farewell, the party again prepares its caravan for the last few days of travel. The horses have been brushed and fed in the extra caring way only gnomes can provide animals, and the vehicular axles even glide silently from master-class lubrication applied by the dedicated machinists manning the stables.

Need to know who is mounted and who is taking a wagon/cart seat please.

DC 10 Survival:
You lick your finger and hold it up to the sky, gazing at the clouds on the horizon...

Temperature: 1d20 ⇒ 3 = normal
Wind: 1d20 ⇒ 14 = light breeze
Precipitation: 1d20 ⇒ 12 = unlikely

While you aren't the only ones to depart to the south in the morning, your quick pace and eagerness to deliver the puzzle box to the Archmage of Candlekeep has your group alone again on the road after only a few hours. The infernal contract of Thavius Kreeg (now ex-High Observer of Elturel and quite dead) locked inside the nasty deathtrap has to have answers, at least if Fisk can be trusted.

Of course you've had no reason to doubt the Calishite spy, in fact quite the opposite. He hummed a desert tune and smoked a gnomish blend of mint and sweetleaf, happy enough in the monotony of travel. With the worst of the Cloakwood decidedly behind you, indeed everyone feels a certain leisure and relaxation as there seems to be nothing to do but enjoy the raw beauty of the coastal grasslands.

Whatever pastoral qualities of the lands you were turning into mental poetry were soon shattered however, as a corpse lay strewn across the road. It was hard to miss, impaled on a 10 ft vertical iron spike that resembled an enormous arrow. It was an older tinker gnome, now with the look of terror plastered on his drying face...eyes rolled back to a solid white as if gazing at the vultures now circling overhead.

Just around the corner is another morbid oddity: an entire horse pinned to a large oak tree maybe 20 ft off the ground...again an enormous iron spike holding the upside down destrier firmly in place.

A few minutes more and you summit a small hill, and witness a full field of carnage...perhaps 35 corpses in all scattered randomly in the tall grass consisting of gnomes, horses, dogs, and well-armored human and elven soldiers. Nearly all again impaled on the terrible ammunition, although some are also fried to a blackened crisp.

Among this brutal field of dead is one final curiosity: a large mound of some semi-translucent white substance nearly as tall as a man...resembling a giant spit-wad.


Halfling Scoundrel | HP: 34/34 | 1/1d8 & 4d6 | Disguise 1/1 | Camo 3/3 | Recover 3/3 | Fast Rit 1/1 |1st 4/4 | 2nd 3/3 | Inspiration!
Stats:
AC 15 | Str -1 Dex +6 Con +2 Int +7 Wis +1 Cha -1 | Initiative +3 | Perception +7, Darkvision 120 ft | Insight +1

Survival: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 = 14

Sitting next to Fisk on the wagon seat, Mal signals for the Calishite to stop the horses. After stopped, he stands up and speaks just loud enough for his companions to hear and no louder. "I heard about this at the inn. We've come across the malfunctioning 'Clockwork Bolter'...apparently a war machine of some terrible design able to fire lances, grappling harpoons, and explosive fireballs while being resistant to most magical effects."

"The wheeled ballista sounded almost sentient the way they described it. One of the gnomes postulated that, "they should have removed its Control Core to make it easier to transport. That Core could fit in any vehicle and get an interesting machine as a result."

"Wise travelers would travel around the war machine's range, but since that's not us, we should approach with tremendous caution and attempt to remove that Control Core; however, we do that." While no longer very charismatic, he seems fairly logical.


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 25/47 | 5 HD (3 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Donal is on his horse. Don't have proficiency in Land Vehicles, so he would rather be ready...

Wisdom: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4 >.<

Cresting the hill, Donal leans forward in his saddle to see if he can make something of this giant loogie...

Perception?: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16


AvernusArt 2 Art

Donal, indeed you notice something that at first must be some random viscera...a kidney or spleen spilled from somewhere and stuck to the side of the nasty mound. On closer inspection however, its actually a pair of tiny lips! Stuck within the sticky yet hard shell of the massive substance, the lips desperately gasp for air.


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 25/47 | 5 HD (3 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Donal curses and spurs his horse up, Watch for threats!

How far are we away?


AvernusArt 2 Art

Not really tracking distances at the moment, feel free to move around and examine/interact with any of the 'scenes'. You've been riding about 4 hours from the Friendly Arm Inn if that's instead what you mean. There is no visible or audible threat at the moment, but it certainly seems ominous.


m LE half-elf Warlock 5 | HP 42/47, THP 0/8 | AC 14 | Saves: Str 0, Dex +2, Con +2, Int +1, Wis +3, Cha +7 | Perc 10 | Init +2 | DV60' | HD 0/5 | Inspiration - | Talisman 3/3 | Spells 1/2 | Invis -, Spray + | Cloak + | -

Madness. Simon turns a little pale, looking out of the cart at the scene of the massacre.

He nervously strokes the amulet hanging around his neck. A bright yellow crystal with splashes of something red, like fresh blood, and a dark line in the depth, like a vertical snake pupil. Each of you who looked at this crystal for more than a couple of seconds experienced a strange feeling that the crystal was looking back at you. Not the most pleasant feeling.

Whatever Simon Eltan was doing in his luxurious apartments that night, he definitely did not get enough sleep, but he was extremely pleased with this amulet, from time to time examining it during the trip.

But now all his attention was riveted by the scene with a bunch of corpses. I can make one of you invisible. Go take a closer look.

It seems that the aristocrat had the idea to go look around himself, but he quickly discarded it.


AC18(20) |HP 40/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 3/[3] Inspiration [N] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 5/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

Sorry I missed the bus on my questions but shoot me a PM on information on candlekeep and I'll write it into a flashback or similar and share it with the group

Sounds like an idea there Simon. Be careful though, in case it feels your footfalls.


m LE half-elf Warlock 5 | HP 42/47, THP 0/8 | AC 14 | Saves: Str 0, Dex +2, Con +2, Int +1, Wis +3, Cha +7 | Perc 10 | Init +2 | DV60' | HD 0/5 | Inspiration - | Talisman 3/3 | Spells 1/2 | Invis -, Spray + | Cloak + | -

No, no, no. I have to concentrate so that the spell doesn't go wrong. One of you has to go.


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 25/47 | 5 HD (3 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Sliding off his horse, Donal tosses Simon the reins and says, I'll go.


m LE half-elf Warlock 5 | HP 42/47, THP 0/8 | AC 14 | Saves: Str 0, Dex +2, Con +2, Int +1, Wis +3, Cha +7 | Perc 10 | Init +2 | DV60' | HD 0/5 | Inspiration - | Talisman 3/3 | Spells 1/2 | Invis -, Spray + | Cloak + | -

Simon 'baptizes' him infernally and Donal disappears from sight. That's nice. If anything, shout louder.

Invisibility


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 25/47 | 5 HD (3 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Donal will then move up to the white mass of mucus and pull out the person gasping for air...

Stealth, if necessary @ advantage: 2d20 + 2 ⇒ (9, 18) + 2 = 29 Dirty 20.

Athletics, if necessary to pull the victim free: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22


AvernusArt 2 Art

Donal creeps forward under the magical deceptions of hell's once chosen warlord. A cool, gentle breeze paints shadows on the grasslands washing the warrior with the awful scent of the dead as he swiftly advances...his steps wholly lost in the dance of tall grains.

Reaching the mass of solidified ooze, the Tormtar pushes the hardened outer shell and finds some give to the structure...like squeezing cork. A quick jabbing punch breaks this crispy outer surface, although leaves only a fist sized space behind. Inside, the strange material is still moist but very hard...taking all the warrior's strength to remove handful after handful.

Its slow going, but after 10 minutes Donal reaches the body inside (still very much alive). Freeing the hands and arms first, they team up and eventually the gnome falls free of the mass...coughing and sputtering, finally collapsing to Toril and turning on his back to gaze at the noon sun and breath confused but steadying breaths...unsure of the intentions of the strange ghost that freed him.


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 25/47 | 5 HD (3 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

What happened, little one? Donal says, not sure if he is visible or not...


AvernusArt 2 Art

The gnome squints in the direction of Donal's voice, Luskan by the style of his outfitting, seeing the crushed grass under the warrior's boots...the footprints betraying Bel's magic. "...an illusionist? Thank you for getting me out of there...it was the Clockwork Bolter. Er, it calls itself 'Select' now...its offensive power rating has increased exponentially! I believe the krystrons swelled and pierced the cooling manifold, leading to another looping cascade in the adjunct booster ring..." he explains, talking more to himself as he reasons through the troubleshooting process. "Yes, it adapted to its constraints, melding them with its own mech-arcanical substrate skeleton...it then perceived us as a threat, a very illogical conclusion!" shaking his head.

2,451 to 2,500 of 2,830 << first < prev | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / [5e] Descent into Avernus Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.