[5e] Descent into Avernus

Game Master mishima


2,501 to 2,550 of 3,194 << first < prev | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | next > last >>

AvernusArt 2Grid

Meanwhile the rest of the party sees the big slimy mound disassemble itself and a gnome fall out.

Audible: 2d6 ⇒ (5, 3) = 8*50=400

You all then hear a loud, but distant, sound off to the southwest...perhaps 400 ft away. The sound is a hard impact, similar to a catapult stone striking a battlement. Squinting in that direction you can see a large wagon tumble down a hill and crash into some trees...which seems to damage the trees instead of the wagon.

This encounter is another optional battle (with reward) like the ankhegs. You could choose to avoid it if you wish and carry on your way.


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Gnome, what are its weak points. How do I disable it?


AvernusArt 2Grid

Cleaning his goggles "Call me Fluke, hidden stranger. Well, it was designed not to have any weakness...but I think its altered itself well past that original design! I mean, its smarter than most inanimate objects but still limited by the arcane formulae which give it the illusion of sentience and personality. Plus...well...it seems pretty confused right now killing us all and such..." the gnome scanning the battlefield, eyes widening at the destruction of his companions. "Removing the control core would disable its power over the ballista frame, essentially rendering everything inert...but you'd likely have to damage it significantly (more than 90% say) to get into it. You see its first directive when the core is planted in a new object is to build defenses around itself, like a skull! ...we planted it right under the universal joint that affects its targeting arc. It had been a weak point in prototypes, you see...the mark I was especiall--"

At that point the terrible machine mounts the hill the wagon just fell from, turning in your direction. "Eh...oh dear. We're in range..." slowly backstepping around the sticky mound...

*ThWoMP*

Lance: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25
Lance, dis: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16
Dmg: 2d10 + 6 ⇒ (4, 8) + 6 = 18

...but it was too late, the iron lance sailing across the 400 feet like it was just nextdoor. Impacting the unfortunate Fluke, the projectile continued with its new passenger forward until finally burying itself and the certainly dead gnome in a copse of birchwood some 30 yards behind Donal.


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Donal draws his shield, hoping that the others can see the commotion and begins running at the automaton...


AvernusArt 2Grid

Inits:

Donal: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13
Evendur: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (3) + 0 = 3
Malaric: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17Mal, warning: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23
Simon: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5
Reya: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
Fisk: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18
Legendary Clockwork Bolter: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18

Round 1:
Malaric <--UP
Legendary Clockwork Bolter
Fisk, Donal, Simon, Reya, Grim

Starting off level 5 with our first legendary battle. Donal equips the shield and advances 30 ft on foot invisible before inits rolled. The machine is on a hill 400 ft away. There is cover in between in the form of horse corpses and small divots in the grasses, but very few trees except near the Bolter itself (see art slide 1). The grass itself is also tall enough to hide in if you crawl (or are small).


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

The priest drives his mount into a gallop and moves at a full run towards the cart.


AvernusArt 2Grid

Grim powers across the battlefield, wasting no time at all. Flaming Fist Horse dashes for a gain of 120 ft.

*ChOOOm*

Lance: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10
Lance, range dis: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23

Another iron lance bursts out of the machine's chest, striding parallel and opposed to the cleric's charge...but the swift mount ducks its head and drives forward as the projectile pierces the ground behind him sending up an explosion of dirt.

1/3 off turn Legendary Actions used, this time the base lance attack. These regenerate each round and can be used at the end of anyone's turn. It also has 3 legendary saves, which do not.

Range: Grim 280 ft, Donal 370 ft.

edit: woops I got out of order a bit. Lets just roll with it since Mal is out IRL today. We'll say Malaric moved up as well. Everyone up.

Round 1:
Malaric
Legendary Clockwork Bolter
Fisk, Donal, Simon, Reya, Grim <--UP


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Move and Dash for Donal.


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

Double move again, triple if I can get away with it next round, no need to ask for me next round


m LE half-elf Warlock 5 | HP 47/47, THP 0/8 | AC 14 | Saves: Str 0, Dex +2, Con +2, Int +1, Wis +3, Cha +7 | Perc 10 | Init +2 | DV60' | HD 0/5 | Inspiration - | Talisman 2/3 | Spells 2/2 | Invis -, Spray + | Cloak - | -

But we just could have passed by... Simon sighs ruefully. Oh well. Donal is invisible as long as I maintain his invisibility. And of course, Kelemvor will protect Grim. He takes out a bottle of wine and a glass, then pours himself a drink. So nothing to worry about! Fisk, could you take the cart a little closer? The aristocrat makes himself comfortable and takes a small sip.


AvernusArt 2Grid

Target Alpha: 1d6 ⇒ 3 == Grim
Lance(Legendary): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27
Lance(Legendary),dis: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27
Dmg: 2d10 + 6 ⇒ (5, 7) + 6 = 18 Reduced by 3 for 15 piercing to Grim.

One of the massive lances catches Grim in the shoulder, this time the horse not catching it in time. It feels as if he ran into a tree, but luckily the old armor found under the bathhouse is still strong enough to deflect the worst of it. It ricochets off the cleric like a que ball in a game of billiards.

Target Alpha: 1d6 ⇒ 1 == Donal
Lance(Legendary): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23
Lance(Legendary),dis: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9

At Simon's request, Fisk's eyes widen "What the hell? Are you serious...listen, this mule isn't the most nimble of all. I doubt its gonna dodge those lances the way Grim's battle trained horse just did. I'm going to try to use the cover of the grasses to close the distance...stay out of the thing's sight." bailing off the back and tossing the noble the reigns. Crouching down into the tall grains, the spy very cautiously advances...Hide: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9

Reya meanwhile follows Grim's lead and spurs her mastiff forward at an incredible pace.

Range Tracking After Round 1:
Don 310
Fisk 370
Grim 280
Malaric 350
Reya 320
Simon ? (feel free to amend your actions, your driver has bailed)

Round 1:
Malaric
Legendary Clockwork Bolter <--UP
Fisk, Donal, Simon, Reya, Grim

Assuming Malaric will dash again to close another 50. Then enemy turn...


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Donal, leaping aside to dodge the lance, assumes that he is visible once again and redoubles his efforts leading with his shield! Move & Dash!


AvernusArt 2Grid

Clockwork Malfunction: 1d8 ⇒ 3

The still quite distant machine glows a bright blue, crackling with electricity which oddly then flows straight down into the earth. A voice oddly states "Hell. Hell. Hell. Hello, welcome to One-Eyed Jax. May I take your hat and goat, sorcerer?"

You can make the following check without spending an action.

Investigation DC 15:
Ground Fault. The clockwork has vulnerability to lightning damage until the end of its next turn.

Spinning in an almost random circle while its wheels burn out completely and spit dirt everywhere, the thing ejects a few well-timed lances down the battlefield...

Target Alpha: 1d6 ⇒ 5 == Reya
Or mount?: 1d2 ⇒ 1 == Mount
Lance: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18
Lance, dis: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24
Dmg: 2d10 + 8 ⇒ (10, 10) + 8 = 28 XD

"*bark*" In another stroke of cruel luck, Reya's recently purchased mastiff meets a much too soon death, as the lance penetrates head to tail...making the dog ready to roast on a spit. The Hellrider tumbles into the grasslands unseen.

Target Alpha: 1d6 ⇒ 4 == Malaric
Lance: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13
Lance, dis: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14

The second lance strikes near Malaric, but its unclear whether it was just random chance or if the dragonslayer was actually targeted.

Round 2:
Malaric
Legendary Clockwork Bolter
Fisk, Donal, Simon, Reya, Grim <--UP

Don, still invisible. It impacted nearby but wasn't targeting you, we will say. I'll not include you and the shorties next time.


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Okay, I thought it had some kind of extra sense... ;p


Halfling Dragonslayer | HP: 33/34 | 0/1d8 & 0d6 | Disguise 1/1 | Camo 2/3 | Recover 0/3 | Fast Rit 1/1 |1st 3/4 | 2nd 1/3 | Inspiration!
Stats:
AC 15 | Str -1 Dex +6 Con +2 Int +7 Wis +1 Cha -1 | Init +3 | Perc +7, Darkvision 120 ft | Insight +1

"Holy Shar! What are we doing?" The halfling moves and finds cover.

He wonders why are they trying to be heroes. He doesn't feel like a hero.

Move 30 ft
Action to hide Stealth: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20


m LE half-elf Warlock 5 | HP 47/47, THP 0/8 | AC 14 | Saves: Str 0, Dex +2, Con +2, Int +1, Wis +3, Cha +7 | Perc 10 | Init +2 | DV60' | HD 0/5 | Inspiration - | Talisman 2/3 | Spells 2/2 | Invis -, Spray + | Cloak - | -

Well... Simon takes another sip of wine and looks at what is happening. ...I bet 5 gold pieces that one of this three will die. Fisk, Malarik?


AvernusArt 2Grid

Target Alpha: 1d3 ⇒ 3 =Simon
Lance (Legendary): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12
Lance, dis: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14

Target Alpha: 1d3 ⇒ 3 =Simon
Lance (Legendary): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16
Lance, dis: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19
Dmg: 2d10 + 8 ⇒ (10, 6) + 8 = 24

A pair of heavy iron bolts are ejected nearly straight up into the sky, but it slants ever so slightly, slowly covering the entire 400 ft span. Simon was just debating to himself if the citrus notes were what made the wine so special when they crashed down from above, splintering his bench apart and slicing him up badly. 24 dmg to Simon

Target Alpha: 1d3 ⇒ 2 =Reya
Lance (Legendary): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15
Lance, dis: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25

Fisk takes his chances, dashing forward upfield before diving under the cover of the tall grass again...Bonus Hide: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6 in retrospect choosing a very obvious shrubbery to hide behind.

Donal, still concealed by the devil's magics, makes his way unseen.

Simon takes the opportunity to enjoy the leftover wine, making idle conversation with the empty air around him. The air accepts the bet.

Reya advances along with most of the party, slowed by her small stature...angry more than sad at the loss of a second companion in a second day.

Meanwhile Grim is the farthest afield, still surging the incredible courser forward while avoiding all attacks.

Range Tracking After Round 2:
Don 310-60=250 (invisible)
Fisk 370-60=310 (heavy obs)
Grim 280-120=160 (mounted)
Malaric 340-60=280 (hidden)
Reya 320-50=270
Simon 400 (cart)

Round 3:
Malaric
Legendary Clockwork Bolter <--UP
Fisk, Donal, Simon, Reya, Grim


AvernusArt 2Grid

Clockwork Malfunction: 1d8 ⇒ 3

The machine continues to crackle with a strange energy resonance...Spoiler from above still available.

Target Alpha: 1d3 ⇒ 3 =Simon
Lance: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15
Lance, dis: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10

Target Alpha: 1d3 ⇒ 3 =Simon
Lance: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13
Lance, dis: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12

Another pair of iron lances crash down near Simon, as if the humble mule drawn cart was somehow provoking the machine's ire.

Round 3:
Malaric
Legendary Clockwork Bolter
Fisk, Donal, Simon, Reya, Grim <--UP

All up.

Donal 47 /47
Evendur 25 /40
Malaric 34 /34
Simon 23 /47


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Pumping his arms as he charges, Donal continues at a full run to close the distance! Move and Dash again!


Halfling Dragonslayer | HP: 33/34 | 0/1d8 & 0d6 | Disguise 1/1 | Camo 2/3 | Recover 0/3 | Fast Rit 1/1 |1st 3/4 | 2nd 1/3 | Inspiration!
Stats:
AC 15 | Str -1 Dex +6 Con +2 Int +7 Wis +1 Cha -1 | Init +3 | Perc +7, Darkvision 120 ft | Insight +1

Malaric seriously considers staying put when he sees Simon eat a ballista. But he sees his other Fisters charging toward probable death, he breaks his blind and dashes toward another spot.

move 30
Stealth: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20
He then dives behind cover again.


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

I think Simon needs to make a Concentration check to see if my invis is still active... Con save DC 12, I believe.


AvernusArt 2Grid

Yep, true.


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

Holy crap, that machine has had a good run of rolls


m LE half-elf Warlock 5 | HP 47/47, THP 0/8 | AC 14 | Saves: Str 0, Dex +2, Con +2, Int +1, Wis +3, Cha +7 | Perc 10 | Init +2 | DV60' | HD 0/5 | Inspiration - | Talisman 2/3 | Spells 2/2 | Invis -, Spray + | Cloak - | -

Con: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20
Con: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10

Eldritch Mind: You have advantage on Constitution saving throws that you make to maintain your concentration on a spell.

Instead of swearing or grumbling, Simon refills his wine, whispering something along the way. Suddenly it becomes noticeable that 4 offspring of the house of Eltan seem to be sitting on the box of the cart.

Mirror Image


AvernusArt 2Grid

Simon, just to clarify, you are still sitting in the mule cart 400 ft away from the Bolter and making no attempt to close the distance? Perfectly fine if so, just wanted to make sure.


m LE half-elf Warlock 5 | HP 47/47, THP 0/8 | AC 14 | Saves: Str 0, Dex +2, Con +2, Int +1, Wis +3, Cha +7 | Perc 10 | Init +2 | DV60' | HD 0/5 | Inspiration - | Talisman 2/3 | Spells 2/2 | Invis -, Spray + | Cloak - | -

Absolutely. If it doesn't shoot me, then it shoots them. But running is not a noble thing.

Although I remember recently looking at the possibility of increasing the blast range to 300 feet and thinking "this is very situational." And for the second time in a row... (first the fleeing cambion, now the ballista).


AvernusArt 2Grid

Grim, with the wacky mount rules you could reach melee this turn. Here's how: mount moves(60), mount dashes(60), Grim dismounts(15),Grim dashes(30), Grim finishes move (15). You would still have a bonus action, but not an action.


AvernusArt 2Grid

Wanted to give Grim a chance to chime in, but will move it along without him in a few hours. Thanks for patience.


AvernusArt 2Grid

Target Alpha: 1d3 ⇒ 2 =Reya
Lance (Legendary): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10
Lance, dis: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11

Target Alpha: 1d3 ⇒ 1 =Grim
Lance (Legendary): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13
Lance, dis: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15

Target Alpha: 1d3 ⇒ 3 =Simon
Lance (Legendary): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27
Lance, dis: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13

Another rain of the terrible iron lances litters the battlefield.

You thought you saw Fisk bound across a divot in the sweeping grains, but it was hard to tell in the corner of your eye. Bonus Hide: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23 The windy wisps of the Calimshan sands not so different than the dancing rye.

Donal continued his clandestine charge, like some storm wind of the north. There was only the sound of light rainfall, as the dense seeds beat his adamantine chest like a drum...the promise of a forthcoming thunderbolt.

Simon retreated to his favorite party (himself) inviting 3 more pompus devil worshippers to relish in the pure pleasure of a fine wine. The surrounding territory being a sick pincusion of some totally out-of-control psycho mechanus being the farthest thing from his mind. Of course, it was hard to focus...the burning melody of the Shield's contract song still on endless repeat.

Reya cunningly could be seen to coordinate her tactics with her fellow assault team, moving only in moments of distraction...a fierce resolve keeping the silvery sheen of her longblade forever in shadow.

Grim ???

Malaric thunders across the plains, vanishing in a dark verdant swoosh of foxtails. Disbelief in the foolhardy counterattack still fueling his caution.

Range Tracking After Round 2:
Don 250-60=190 (invisible)
Fisk 310-60=250 (heavy obs)
Grim 160-? (mounted?)
Malaric 280-60=220 (hidden)
Reya 270-50=220
Simon 400 (cart)

Round 4:
Malaric
Legendary Clockwork Bolter <--UP
Fisk, Donal, Simon, Reya, Grim


AvernusArt 2Grid

Clockwork Malfunction: 1d8 ⇒ 3

Wow...this was supposed to be fun, not rolling the same number 3 times in a row. Damn Tymora. Same check with spoiler as before.

Target Alpha: 1d3 ⇒ 2 =Reya
Lance: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22
Lance, dis: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21

Somehow the dark intellect finds the obtuse visual pattern of Reya the Hellrider marking out a nearly straight line in the fields. Dmg: 2d10 + 8 ⇒ (10, 3) + 8 = 21 "Hwuh!!!" the halfling grunts, thrown to the side in a rapid twist, ending some 90 degrees of her previous charge. Disoriented and wounded, she nevertheless does not give up the fight.

Target Alpha: 1d3 ⇒ 3 =Simon
Lance: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10
Lance, dis: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10

Party up.


Halfling Dragonslayer | HP: 33/34 | 0/1d8 & 0d6 | Disguise 1/1 | Camo 2/3 | Recover 0/3 | Fast Rit 1/1 |1st 3/4 | 2nd 1/3 | Inspiration!
Stats:
AC 15 | Str -1 Dex +6 Con +2 Int +7 Wis +1 Cha -1 | Init +3 | Perc +7, Darkvision 120 ft | Insight +1

Malaric winces when he sees Reya take a ballista to the chest imagining what that would do to him. Having already demonstrated to be a bit crazy, the halfling breaks cover and dashes toward the threat before sliding into another hole.

move 30
Stealth: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Head down, Donal keeps running, hoping to close the distance before any more of his companions get hurt...


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

Apologies. Had a very rare weekend off plus worked on some home stuff

Grim rides the horse as hard as he can, then on nearing the contraption, flings himself from the saddle, and runs pell mell for the construct. He casts a spell of protection as he does so. Shield of Faith

-Next round-

Swearing mightily, he tries to climb up the side of it... looking for an off lever, or at least somewhere to wedge a weapon.


AvernusArt 2Grid

Just Simon to go (or stay).


m LE half-elf Warlock 5 | HP 47/47, THP 0/8 | AC 14 | Saves: Str 0, Dex +2, Con +2, Int +1, Wis +3, Cha +7 | Perc 10 | Init +2 | DV60' | HD 0/5 | Inspiration - | Talisman 2/3 | Spells 2/2 | Invis -, Spray + | Cloak - | -

Simon drinks wine and looks gloomily at what is happening. It seems he is dissatisfied with the behavior of his comrades, because we could all just go around this crazy ballista. He clinks glasses with his reflection and tries to make a bet with it which of his partners will die first, since Fisk and Malarik are too busy playing hide-and-seek.


AvernusArt 2Grid

Target Alpha: 1d3 ⇒ 1 =Grim
Lance (Legendary): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11
Lance, dis: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11

Target Alpha: 1d3 ⇒ 2 =Reya
Lance (Legendary): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13
Lance, dis: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28

Target Alpha: 1d3 ⇒ 3 =Simon
Lance (Legendary): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18
Lance, dis: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16
Mirror Image: 1d20 ⇒ 14 =Hits dupe (2/3 remain)

A final grazing bolt screams past Grim's cheek as he just gets into melee range. Another nearly creates a halfling-on-a-stick, the lucky Hellrider rolling to the side at the last second. A third arches far across the field and annihilates one of Simon's illusory doubles.

Fisk continues to quickly close the gap, keeping his head down and free of any pesky impaling spikes... Bonus Hide: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20 Donal was relentless in his concealed charge, a bit more than 40 yards to his battle companion and the wild machine. Simon continued his non-engagement strategy, complimenting himself on his intellect. Reya kept up her very slow charge, cursing the loss of her mount. Malaric likewise is wise to use the terrain to his advantage.

Then suddenly the clouds parted, and a single sun ray seemed to illuminate Grim's armor with a heavenly glow. The Doomguide, hasted by some divine drive, bounded nearly 200 ft all at once, getting right up to the iron plated wheels of the malfunctioning device.

Grim, the gnomish contraption is only a medium creature so no climbing on top. You see plenty of places where you might do some damage if you can get a good swing in. Roll attack.

Range Tracking After Round 4:
Don 130 (invisible)
Fisk 190 (hidden)
Grim 0
Malaric 160 (hidden)
Reya 170
Simon 400 (cart)

Round 5:
Malaric
Legendary Clockwork Bolter <--UP
Fisk, Donal, Simon, Reya, Grim


AvernusArt 2Grid

Clockwork Malfunction: 1d8 ⇒ 5

DC 15 Investigation:
Limited Steering. The clockwork must move in a straight line. It can turn up to 90 degrees before moving and again at the midpoint of its movement. It can rotate freely if it doesn’t use any of its speeds on its turn.

Grim hears something screech and grind to a jammed stop in the mechanus of the machine's undercarriage, the device then speaks "Hello Sunshine! Your rays have already brightened my day! Welcome to...error. Not found. Restrain. Defend."

A side panel slides open and a large tube extends, pointing straight at the Doomguide. *SqUirrrrrRT* gallons and gallons of a white, sticky substance extrude from the nozzle, threatening to cover Grim head to toe. Dex save, DC 15 vs paralysis. If fail, can try again at the end of each turn.

Round 5:
Malaric
Legendary Clockwork Bolter
Fisk, Donal, Simon, Reya, Grim <--UP


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Seeing Grim at the automaton, Donal calls out, Under the Universal Joint! Break it open and tear out its core! Whatever that means...


Halfling Dragonslayer | HP: 33/34 | 0/1d8 & 0d6 | Disguise 1/1 | Camo 2/3 | Recover 0/3 | Fast Rit 1/1 |1st 3/4 | 2nd 1/3 | Inspiration!
Stats:
AC 15 | Str -1 Dex +6 Con +2 Int +7 Wis +1 Cha -1 | Init +3 | Perc +7, Darkvision 120 ft | Insight +1

Malaric winces when he sees Grim get slimed like that gnome.

Continung to be a bit crazy, the halfling breaks cover and dashes toward the threat before sliding into another hole.

move 30
Stealth: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

Attack from before

1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13 for 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10

And now a save...

1d20 + 0 ⇒ (18) + 0 = 18

Somehow he managed to dodge the spray...

He takes a moment to try to work out just what the hell to target based on Donals words...

Investigation: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

Well... s*@%


m LE half-elf Warlock 5 | HP 47/47, THP 0/8 | AC 14 | Saves: Str 0, Dex +2, Con +2, Int +1, Wis +3, Cha +7 | Perc 10 | Init +2 | DV60' | HD 0/5 | Inspiration - | Talisman 2/3 | Spells 2/2 | Invis -, Spray + | Cloak - | -

All the same...


AvernusArt 2Grid

Target Alpha: 1d3 ⇒ 3 =Simon
Lance (Legendary): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10
Lance, dis: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17

Target Alpha: 1d3 ⇒ 2 =Reya
Lance (Legendary): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24
Lance, dis: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16

Target Alpha: 1d3 ⇒ 3 =Simon
Lance (Legendary): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24
Lance, dis: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21
Mirror Image vs DC 8: 1d20 ⇒ 6
Dmg: 2d10 + 6 ⇒ (8, 6) + 6 = 20

A random shot lands squarely on the relaxing noble and neither of his 2 remaining duplicates, bringing him to death's door. Simon 3/47 hp

Fisk darted off the top of a hillock, falling through the air and into another tall bushel of green grains. Bonus Hide: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10 Donal charged forward, his ghostly call echoing from a formless mouth. Simon continued to pay little attention at all, betraying the entire party and quickly getting himself killed. In contrast, the loyal and bloodied Reya continued her run across the field, as Malaric dove wildly to the side. Still beating the Bolter's passive for successful hide. DC 11 for future reference.

Grim swung his blade into the thing, but the machine almost seemed to have seen it coming before he even drew back...contorting its brass and wooden structure to completely avoid the blow.

Grim, using Donal's advice, you can seek what you might think is a 'universal joint' with a DC 13 investigation check. Success will give you advantage on attacks moving forward.

Range Tracking After Round 5:
Don 70 (invisible)
Fisk 130 (heavily obscured)
Grim 0
Malaric 130 (hidden)
Reya 110
Simon 400 (cart)

Round 6:
Malaric
Legendary Clockwork Bolter <--UP
Fisk, Donal, Simon, Reya, Grim


AvernusArt 2Grid

Clockwork Malfunction: 1d8 ⇒ 8

DC 15 Investigation:
Rusty Gears. The clockwork has disadvantage on initiative rolls, and its speed decreases by 10 feet.

As the cleric dodged the strange gnomish adhesive the device emitted a sound like "Hey! Fancy footwork, bucko!" as its internal gears screeched and grinded at a nearly ear-piercing decibel level...something was obviously very wrong. Still, its weapons were no less dangerous despite the somewhat random nature of its attacks...

Target Alpha: 1d3 ⇒ 1 =Grim
Lance: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27 Before you ask, the Lance attack does not suffer from disadvantage when used in melee.
Dmg: 2d10 + 6 ⇒ (5, 4) + 6 = 15

One of the lances coming out of the thing's chest(?) ejects halfway and retracts back inside, a terrible thrusting attack catching the cleric off guard. Heavy Master for 12 dmg

Target Alpha: 1d3 ⇒ 1 =Grim
Harpoon: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12
Harpoon, dis (ranged in melee): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17

Suddenly a wide net crackling with electrical energy bursts out the other side, but flies harmlessly over the Doomguide.

Party up.


Halfling Dragonslayer | HP: 33/34 | 0/1d8 & 0d6 | Disguise 1/1 | Camo 2/3 | Recover 0/3 | Fast Rit 1/1 |1st 3/4 | 2nd 1/3 | Inspiration!
Stats:
AC 15 | Str -1 Dex +6 Con +2 Int +7 Wis +1 Cha -1 | Init +3 | Perc +7, Darkvision 120 ft | Insight +1

Malaric cringes when he sees Simon get pinned again among all of his images

He cannot believe that he is actually moving toward this machine of death. After a few deep breaths, the halfling breaks cover and dashes toward the threat before sliding into another hole.

move 30
Stealth DC 11: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

DO I need to take an action to make the investigation roll?

CONCENTRATION DC12: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7


AvernusArt 2Grid

Grim, actually your passive is enough to find it. I keep forgetting you have an Investigation that high. You have advantage to attack rolls (spell and melee attacks) on that spot.


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

[Ooc]Some good news at last![ooc]

Eat this!, He grates through gritted teeth as holy light gathers around his hand...

1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23 or 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7

Guiding Bolt at level 3: 6d6 ⇒ (4, 5, 5, 5, 2, 4) = 25

And Advantage on the next attack for my friends...


m LE half-elf Warlock 5 | HP 47/47, THP 0/8 | AC 14 | Saves: Str 0, Dex +2, Con +2, Int +1, Wis +3, Cha +7 | Perc 10 | Init +2 | DV60' | HD 0/5 | Inspiration - | Talisman 2/3 | Spells 2/2 | Invis -, Spray + | Cloak - | -

Perhaps that's enough. Simon, wincing in pain and using especially dark powers, becomes invisible... making visible Don - who is probably already somewhere near the target according to Simon's estimates.

Invis


AvernusArt 2Grid

Donal (now visible) to go, if move/dash will be within 10ft. Or could Action Surge to get there this round.


AvernusArt 2Grid

After Donal becomes visible and Reya advances a ringing bell sounds from within the machine like an alarm "Proximity alert...multiple combatants within threatening ranged. Defensive subroutine activated." A tiny wooden trapdoor lowers like a tongue just above its neck-like compound gear system, and a delicate and intricate manipulator extrudes from within. Fine machinery thinner than paper begins to flicker and fiddle in a complicated gesture...the thing casting arcane magic!

A brilliant blue and pink shimmering force field erupts in a 10 ft hemispherical radius around the device, encapsulating Grim and halting Donal in his tracks. This effect counts as its 3 legendaries for this round, and functions like Wall of Force.

Meanwhile Fisk and Malaric continue their clandestine approach, while Simon vacates under an infernal illusion. Fisk Hide: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16

Grim, your using a ranged attack in melee would cancel the disadvantage from the universal joint detection, but you rolled high enough to hit with the 23 so...

But from up close, it was easy for Grim see the machine's weak point...surely crafted with the best of intentions, one small rod in the universal joint had slipped from its bearing and hung loose of the side. Because of the ballista's need to rotate freely in a 145 degree arc, there was no way to properly armor it...at least the gnomes hadn't solved that engineering problem just yet.

A burst of divine radiance poured like liquid into Grim's fist from another dimension, and his practiced command of the Power quickly twisted it into a scintillating lance of his own...driven hard and direct right into the heart of the thing. The metal of the joint rapidly superheated to blue-hot, the stench of burning lubricant filling the cleric's nostrils...

Concentration DC 12: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14

...the magical shield flickers ever so slightly, but remains.

Range Tracking After Round 6:
Don 10
Fisk 70 (hidden)
Grim 0
Malaric 100 (hidden)
Reya 60
Simon 400 (invisible)

Round 7:
Malaric
Legendary Clockwork Bolter <--UP
Fisk, Donal, Simon, Reya, Grim

2,501 to 2,550 of 3,194 << first < prev | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / [5e] Descent into Avernus Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.