[5e] Descent into Avernus

Game Master mishima


2,201 to 2,250 of 3,231 << first < prev | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | next > last >>

m LE half-elf Warlock 5 | HP 47/47, THP 0/8 | AC 14 | Saves: Str 0, Dex +2, Con +2, Int +1, Wis +3, Cha +7 | Perc 10 | Init +2 | DV60' | HD 0/5 | Inspiration - | Talisman 2/3 | Spells 1/2 | Invis -, Spray + | Cloak - | -

Have you all gone bloody crazy here?! It is a rare case when Simon absolutely loses control of himself and leaves all his noble mannerisms. His face turns pale, he nervously bites his lips, and when he is doused with blood from half of the guard, it seems that he is about to vomit. It seems that he would have obviously run away abandoning his comrades, but it is clearly impossible to run through this crowd. With trembling lips, he whispers infernal words and suddenly several copies appear around him, which make it difficult to understand where the real Simon is. At the same time, he jumps off the horse and, trying not to get under the hooves, begins to back away.

Mirror Image and Move Away (as far as the crowd allows)


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Quick question, what would it take to 'break' this T-Rex, much like on 'breaks' a horse... Would that even be possible? :D


AvernusArt 2Grid

The t-rex curls and pumps its powerful neck, trying to buck and scrape Donal from its head...

Athletics: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23

Donal please give me a contested roll of athletics or acrobatics. Either way, its attempt to remove you will prevent its bite attack this turn.


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Strength (Athletics): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24 No freakin' way!!! XD I am going to ride this bronco!!! Yee haw!


AvernusArt 2Grid

Gripping the primal creature's strong ridges, the Champion tightly rides the king of lizards even as it scrapes him along the crenellated balcony and roars, bucking in rage. Malaric's bolt suddenly presents itself as an excellent stirrup for the rodeo Tormtar. The beast stumbles backwards away from the pooling pitch on the ground, sending its powerful tail crashing into the mob...

Tail: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (11) + 10 = 21
Dmg: 3d8 + 7 ⇒ (8, 2, 4) + 7 = 21

...with a sick, echoing *slap* impacting the chest of a random fleeing cobbler sending him into limp flight tumbling over the crowd. But it can't escape the searing splatter already sizzling its haunches...

Sticky Pitch: 2d4 ⇒ (4, 2) = 6

Meanwhile Fisk had dropped back behind the cart, flopping his hand crossbows into his lap and rapidly reloading and cocking each while maintaining a low profile...

Bonus Hide: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15

Round 2:
Simon
T-rex
Fisk, Grim, Reya <--UP
Mob
Mal, Donal, Fist

T-rex 69/136 hp, 13 AC

Party up.


Halfling Dragonslayer | HP: 33/34 | 0/1d8 & 0d6 | Disguise 1/1 | Camo 2/3 | Recover 0/3 | Fast Rit 1/1 |1st 3/4 | 2nd 1/3 | Inspiration!
Stats:
AC 15 | Str -1 Dex +6 Con +2 Int +7 Wis +1 Cha -1 | Init +3 | Perc +7, Darkvision 120 ft | Insight +1

Mal maneuvers Corsair well out of the way of that beast. He reloads and zips a magic bolt into the creature, right underneath it's little bitty arm.

sneaky crossbow of warning vs T-Rex: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 252d8 + 2d6 + 3 ⇒ (7, 7) + (3, 1) + 3 = 21


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Niiiiice!


m LE half-elf Warlock 5 | HP 47/47, THP 0/8 | AC 14 | Saves: Str 0, Dex +2, Con +2, Int +1, Wis +3, Cha +7 | Perc 10 | Init +2 | DV60' | HD 0/5 | Inspiration - | Talisman 2/3 | Spells 1/2 | Invis -, Spray + | Cloak - | -

Simon did not go as far as he had planned, only made sure that there were at least a few people between him and the creature. And when one of this people was crushed by the tail and the blood spattered Eltan's boots and trousers again, the nobleman's fear was replaced by rage. Probably, it's still the same fear, but changed from "аlee" to "fight".

- DIE!!! - and a purple-black blow of force hits in the head of the lizard king.

Eldritch Blast + Hex: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 201d10 + 4 + 1d6 ⇒ (10) + 4 + (4) = 18 | Hex - STR


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

The Doomguide wheels his horse and charges the beast...

Bonus Action Shield of Faith. AC22
Attack 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20 for 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7

Pretty sure Donal and I are NOT within 5 ft of each other vertically speaking.


AvernusArt 2Grid

Mob Wisdom: 1d20 ⇒ 16

The screaming crowd stops trampling itself and filters off the narrow drawbridge, you spot a few good souls shouting directions and finally the dead stand still surges. They clear another 15 ft away from the t-rex. 15 ft more are needed before the drawbridges can be safely raised.

Reya again strafes the beast on her mastiff, sword-arm and silver sword a lashing tail of her own...

Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12
Multiattack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10

...finding no way through the jurassic hide.

"Back to the center!" the dwarven magi commander bellows "Keep it with us! Don't let it near the bridge!" running to the edge of the balcony and blasting with magics...

Magic Missile: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5 ==15 damage

A trio of force tomahawks tumble into the creature in his attempt to direct it away from the mob and residences of the Crossing. [b]

Grim, your horse could still Disengage and you could move out of melee range of the t-rex if you wish. You would not take an OA.

T-rex is suffering disadvantage on Str Checks from Simon's Hex.

Don to go.


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Clenching the neck of the T-Rex with his legs, Donal swings hard two more times at the beasts head! Action Surge!

Can it see me? Can I get advantage, or have I slipped enough that is can spy me with its little eyes?

+1 mace: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22 damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10
if advantage: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26 if crit: 1d6 ⇒ 4

+1 mace: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19 damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7
if advantage: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25 if crit: 1d6 ⇒ 5


AvernusArt 2Grid

*crick*

The champion's first strike echoed with a hyper-amplified sound of an egg-shell cracking.

*SpLOrSH*

The champion's second strike splattered with the goopy, tiny brains of the beast.

Every inch of muscle of the creature tightened in shock, then spasmed randomly before going stiff as a board and tumbling down like cut timber.

Don, make a DC 10 Acrobatics check to ride the beast down safely or take d6 fall damage as the t-rex dies.

In a moment the crowd was 'oooh'ing in disbelief, some even taking a tentative step closer to inspect the massive pile of meat.

Combat over.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

Riding his high, Donal realized too late that he was crashing down, tumbling head over heels! 1d6 ⇒ 4

Laying on his back for a moment, onlookers think the warrior is dead. Then the warrior convulses, bursting into a hearty laugh!


m LE half-elf Warlock 5 | HP 47/47, THP 0/8 | AC 14 | Saves: Str 0, Dex +2, Con +2, Int +1, Wis +3, Cha +7 | Perc 10 | Init +2 | DV60' | HD 0/5 | Inspiration - | Talisman 2/3 | Spells 1/2 | Invis -, Spray + | Cloak - | -

Simon begins to purify himself with magic. His fingers run along the clothes, and they are cleaned almost in the same second and even leaving a pleasant smell of roses. What an abomination. I will find the one who is to blame for this and I will take all the guts out of him...


AC18(20) |HP 38/[40]| Str+3 Int+1 Wis+6 Dex+0 Con+2 Cha+2|Init + 0|Percept +6|Insight +6|Invest +4| War Priest Attacks 0/[3] Inspiration [Y] Channel Divinity 1/[1] HD 2/[5] Male Human Doomguide Acolyte of Kelemvor Cleric (War)/5

Still astride his mount, Grim looks down at the laughing Donal in disbelief.

You madman... I just spent two weeks getting the crap kicked out of me so we could work better together. And then you pull this? Well man, are you able to stand or do you need a hand?


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Ha ha, apologies, friend Grim Donal laughs, I do not think that our training was intended for this creature... We will have many chances to exercise our new skills soon enough, I am sure.

The warrior picks himself up, looking at the grey matter on his armor... He then turns to the Flaming Fist watch officer, I expect that you have this in hand?


Halfling Dragonslayer | HP: 33/34 | 0/1d8 & 0d6 | Disguise 1/1 | Camo 2/3 | Recover 0/3 | Fast Rit 1/1 |1st 3/4 | 2nd 1/3 | Inspiration!
Stats:
AC 15 | Str -1 Dex +6 Con +2 Int +7 Wis +1 Cha -1 | Init +3 | Perc +7, Darkvision 120 ft | Insight +1

After Mal shoulders his crossbow beneath his cloak, he maneuvers Corsair over the dinosaur bronco buster. "Donal. You are crazy."


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

The warrior just laughs, Where's my horse?


AvernusArt 2Grid

The dwarven magi hailed from above "Ho there, heroes o' the Rock!" pumping his fist in the air in celebration, soon joined in chorus by his comrades and the bystanders.

But a shrill voice cuts through it all "Non! Sacre bleu! Ze tyrannosaure! Gardak, what have you done??" Pushing his way through the crowd is a massive, 9 ft tall firbolg wearing a blood splattered apron that reads 'Hamhocks Slaughterhouse' and weilding a meat cleaver, nearly in tears at the sight of the escaped and slain dinosaur. "Ze Chultan Speciale! Ruined..."

"Bah, shut yer cryin', Traxidor, yer own fault for skimpin' on the transport...who sold you that beanpole cage? And where the hell is the escort? Bringin' this beast to the Crossing with such a slim crew...I'll be sure you lose twice in fines what you tried to save with this irresponsibility! Menace!" the dwarf barked.

"Stop! It's not his fault..." the man repairing the wheels on the broken cage stepped forward. "He paid for a both a strong vessel and armed contingent...but nearly all were lost along the Coast Way. Raiders took us south of the Cloakwood...they had some kind of clockwork arbalest."

The dwarf's brow crinkled as some instinctual fury was replaced with a hint of reasoning "Hmm. Missing wonder of Gond I reckon, was scheduled to pass inspection here weeks ago...let me guess, hobgoblins. Damnit. Sarsar's become too strong..."

"Wasn't even a parley, sir...just attacked us outright." the man added.

"Aye, Daarg Huum thinks he's at war...don't realize him and his band is just vermin." Gardak muttered, stroking his mustache. "*sigh* Set up a cordon for the butcher. Get down there men, lotta meat to haul. I want us cleared by midday."

The firbolg didn't waste time "Oui, oui, bleed the meat, quickly!" beginning to hack up some select cuts right there on Wyrm's Rock.

Donal's horse was found dutifully waiting near the edge of the crowd, and soon the party was back underway. As the sun climbed towards noon, the heroes left the last vestiges of the metropolis behind...the smuggler's haven of Rivington on the south shore. Pushing on, they finally felt they had traded the urban bustle for harried farmlands, imperiled trade ways, and rich wilderness.


AvernusArt 2Grid

Please feel free to interact with the scene above if you would like. Otherwise...

It only takes another hour for Wyrm's Crossing and the whole cesspit that is Baldur's Gate to be left disappearing on the misty, northern horizon. Cobbled granite pavers long ago dissolved into a humble dirt road, bisected by a long patch of green grass...the so-called Coast Way leading to such distant lands as Tethyr, Amn, and Calimshan.

While this major trade route unites the largest settlements along the Sword Coast, the road itself is not beachside but rather miles inland. Thus there is no cool ocean breeze to break the choking humidity of the afternoon...those without appropriate traveler's garb are soon sticky with sweat. The mastiffs pant to keep cool in that trademark doggie-dog manner, but the horses demand water rather often slowing you down.

Another hour passes. The expansive floodplain of the Chionthar becomes littered with craggy stone boulders, climbing upwards into rolling hills of farmland. Yet for every field of well-tended crop, there are three more which lie ruined, abandoned, or plundered. In one extreme case, you pass a farmhouse that has been upended on its side and sinks into a massive hole in the ground, much like a boat capsizing...its grazing fields littered with holes just as big that could easily swallow horses. A rotted sign indicates 'Brun Ranch', flanked by two bull skulls.

DC 10 Nature:
Given the size and depth of the burrows and the geographical location, you guess the holes were made by ankhegs...an insectoid hunter capable of spiting acidic fumes. Their valuable chitinous exoskeletons are nearly as hard as plate, but considerably less weight.

Can explore or ignore this location.


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

At least the stench of the city isn't prevalent, but the humidity will threaten to choke us out, eh? Donal grins to his compatriots. At the sight of the plundered farms, the warrior turns dour.

One can only hope that these bandits choose to strike at us. I wouldn't mind cracking some heads... At the very least make them reconsider their life choices.

Nature: 1d20 ⇒ 20

Ankhegs, Donal says gesturing to the trenches. Watch out, they are nasty burrowers. Chitinous. Hard to get past the shell. Spits acid, so try to stay out of formation. Let us be careful through here.


Halfling Dragonslayer | HP: 33/34 | 0/1d8 & 0d6 | Disguise 1/1 | Camo 2/3 | Recover 0/3 | Fast Rit 1/1 |1st 3/4 | 2nd 1/3 | Inspiration!
Stats:
AC 15 | Str -1 Dex +6 Con +2 Int +7 Wis +1 Cha -1 | Init +3 | Perc +7, Darkvision 120 ft | Insight +1

nature: 1d20 ⇒ 8

At Rivington, Mal passed the furthest that he had ever traveled away from Balder's Gate. The wide open spaces and natural scents were all new to him. He kept Corsair in the middle of the pack wary of animals and bandits. He wondered if following this lead was really what Shar wanted of him, so he turned the puzzles of his new book around in his head to keep him from imagining the horrors lying wait for them... Ankhegs?


m LE half-elf Warlock 5 | HP 47/47, THP 0/8 | AC 14 | Saves: Str 0, Dex +2, Con +2, Int +1, Wis +3, Cha +7 | Perc 10 | Init +2 | DV60' | HD 0/5 | Inspiration - | Talisman 2/3 | Spells 1/2 | Invis -, Spray + | Cloak - | -

After the scene with that lizard, I won't be surprised at anything. Let's just pass it by. Unlike Donal, I would like to get to Candlekeep without any adventures.


AvernusArt 2Grid

Sounds like no-one is gung-ho to diverge into an ankheg nest. No worries, moving on...

The road goes on. Over the next few hours you pass a number of travelers along the way who give you a wide berth. Not surprising given you clearly outnumber and outarm most of the merchants, entertainers, scholars and pilgrims making their way north. Even a trio of hardened Flaming Fist quickly take note of the brands on your destriers, changing their typical shakedown tune to one of base, cordial respect...not many mercs-at-heart ever earned the right to such fine steeds.

You take a late lunch of jerky with hard tack soaked in hot cider, sharing with a group of young men claiming to be vintners. Malaric is fairly sure at least one of them is Guild, however...tipped off by their smooth movements. Regardless, you part ways with a full belly and full purse.

Fluffy white clouds gather and assemble as boredom leads to introspection, darkening to a swollen gray wall in the west. Still, there's enough gaps in the sky cover to let great beams of light cut across the landscape like dramatic spotlights of gods. At times a few sprinkles splatter your faces, frustrating Fisk's attempts at a pipe back on the mule cart, but never a hard downpour.

There are still a few hours of daylight when the rocky hills and farm plots start to blend into a sparse forest of saplings and other young vegetation. Farmer's spring trails are replaced with grass channels trampled by larger game. There are no man-made structures as far as the eye can see, not even a road sign. The wild calls of life herald the very outskirts of the Cloakwood.

It's about this time Fisk suggests finding a suitable place to camp a ways of the road. "Eh, what do you say fellows? Call it a day's ride? Few hours til nightfall, we'll need to set these tents at least. Smell rain on the air. I'd say we should take the cart a ways offroad...don't want to be temptin' any travelers of the night, hmm?"

Reya seems the least phased by the long journey so far, made for the saddle...however small it might be.

No PC has Survival trained, but Grim has the highest wisdom modifier. Roll to see how good of a campsite you can find. Good meaning near amenities like running water/forageable resources, defensible and off obvious game paths etc.

Since Grim is away, I'll just take the first Survival roll for whoever wants to go for it. If there's no further RP you'd like to engage in, let me know how you are doing night watches. The 2 npcs and 2 dogs can participate to some extent as well. ;)


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Survival: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16

Fair point Donal nods, Let's try over there. We still have a good sight of the surrounding area, and it is high ground so we do not get flooded in the rains.


Halfling Dragonslayer | HP: 33/34 | 0/1d8 & 0d6 | Disguise 1/1 | Camo 2/3 | Recover 0/3 | Fast Rit 1/1 |1st 3/4 | 2nd 1/3 | Inspiration!
Stats:
AC 15 | Str -1 Dex +6 Con +2 Int +7 Wis +1 Cha -1 | Init +3 | Perc +7, Darkvision 120 ft | Insight +1

Survival: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15

Mal lets everyone lead. He is far out of his element of books, rumors, and filth. He keeps Corsair close, not realizing how comforting his new travel companion has become.

While he takes a watch shift with Corsair, he reads his new spellbook of Shar.


m LE half-elf Warlock 5 | HP 47/47, THP 0/8 | AC 14 | Saves: Str 0, Dex +2, Con +2, Int +1, Wis +3, Cha +7 | Perc 10 | Init +2 | DV60' | HD 0/5 | Inspiration - | Talisman 2/3 | Spells 1/2 | Invis -, Spray + | Cloak - | -

Survival: 1d20 ⇒ 20

It reminds me of our usual picnics when I was younger... (says a fairly young nobleman) ...Hmmm! Let's put tents here, there will be a patrol here and a bonfire here.


AvernusArt 2Grid

Donal does a canvass of the area, finally turning up a small clearing nested at the bottom of a rocky cliff face. The natural slope to the wall and slight altitude advantage of the land ensure a dry night's rest. Fisk gives a whistle "Heh, well damn. I'd not thought about that...never was much of an outdoorsman."

The cart is pulled off the road and up to the campsite, crunching its way through the brush and leaving a noticeable trail. Fisk starts to unload some of the provisions Portyr provided: feed for the mounts, wood crafting tools, dry rations with mess kit, a bundle of dry kindling, even a keg of ale. In short order the tents are raised, a campfire is roaring, and the travelers enjoy (well, Simon likely doesn't enjoy) a simple hot stew of onions and potatoes.

No stars are visible as the night swallows the cloud cover into darkness, and a light drizzle turns to a steady shower. Reya was sensitive to the mounts' needs, making a point about refilling the animals' water barrel with the rain, hanging a tight canvass funnel that soon spills a healthy rivulet just on the edge of camp.

You've got a dry campsite about 100 yards from the road, looking down at it. Rain and night hamper visibility, but that might be a good thing. Any last minute defenses or other measures? Who is sleeping in armor? Keeping the fire going all night? What are you doing for watches?

Reminder for long rest you need 6 hours sleep, and 2 hours can be for watch. So, you could get away 4 watch 'shifts' with one PC each.


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Donal will not sleep in his armor, only donning it for his shift. Allowing for the spellcasters to take first and last watch, he will volunteer for the midnight watch.


m LE half-elf Warlock 5 | HP 47/47, THP 0/8 | AC 14 | Saves: Str 0, Dex +2, Con +2, Int +1, Wis +3, Cha +7 | Perc 10 | Init +2 | DV60' | HD 0/5 | Inspiration - | Talisman 2/3 | Spells 1/2 | Invis -, Spray + | Cloak - | -

Simon, oddly enough, likes such simple food and ale. Probably, this is not something that he will like for more than one day, but right now, looking into the darkness of the sky, he looks like a dreamy young man who probably writes poetry and looks for miracles in the world around.

I'll watch first, he says and takes the shield with him.


Halfling Dragonslayer | HP: 33/34 | 0/1d8 & 0d6 | Disguise 1/1 | Camo 2/3 | Recover 0/3 | Fast Rit 1/1 |1st 3/4 | 2nd 1/3 | Inspiration!
Stats:
AC 15 | Str -1 Dex +6 Con +2 Int +7 Wis +1 Cha -1 | Init +3 | Perc +7, Darkvision 120 ft | Insight +1

Mal will sleep in his studly leather armor, because I don't think that has an effect on the quality of his sleep. He will take the darkest watch shift with Corsair.


AvernusArt 2Grid

Alrighty, sounds like Simon>Donal>Grim>Mal (darkest before dawn?). Reya and her mastiff will go with Simon, Fisk will go with Grim. Since no one said anything, I'll assume the fire is kept going and no defenses have been set.

1d4 ⇒ 2

The rains continue to patter the leaves and Reya's canvas as the party begins its well deserved rest. The long days travel was harder on the body than most expected, with the comfort of the warm bedrolls most welcome. Simon served as sentinel as the others snoozed away, scanning the colorless extent of his sight. Reya's mastiff's ears perked up only once, and the warlock caught the movement of a possum as it woke from its burrow...which quickly ran from the confusing flames of the camp.

Watch duty passed onto the Tormtar, who could see little beyond the light cast by the fire and could hear little due to the constant drone of rainfall.

Donal, please roll perception at disadvantage.


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Perception: 1d2 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4
Disadvantage: 1d2 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

Hahaha, that figures...

Donal stares at the fire, slowly nodding off. His head bobs and he snaps back to... then again... ZZzzzzzzzz


AvernusArt 2Grid

For the love of god man... XD

Stealth: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22

Inits:

Donal: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9
Evendur: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (10) + 0 = 10
Malaric: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23Mal, warning: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22
Simon: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22
Fisk: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20
Reya: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18
Archers: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23

*WEEooohWEEEoohhWEEEoooooooOOOOOOOOoooohh....*

A bizarre bellowing like some kind of living wind comes from inside Malaric's tent, waking everyone instantly in a dreamy fog. About the same time, a barrage of arrows streams from the darkness...

Attack: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19
Attack, advantage: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11
Dmg: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11

Multiattack: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19
Dmg: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9
+Archer's Eye Dmg: 1d10 ⇒ 5 ==25 total piercing damage to Don

..plunging into his chest with a sick metal crunch. The telltale sound of a bowstring whistling gives the ambusher's general location away...

You hear the bowstring coming from about 100 ft to the northwest. There is another unidentified rustling sound coming about 100 ft in a different direction, the northeast.

Round 1:
Archers
Mal, Simon, Fisk, Reya, Grim, Donal <---UP

Party would have been surprised, but Mal's weapon Of Warning prevents such a thing from happening. Therefore all can act in the first round.

Party except Donal are Prone, cutting possible movement in half. Mounts were presumably desaddled for the night and 10 ft from tents, but could be rode bareback...reminder it takes half movement to mount. Cart is available for cover if desired. Short rest actions were recharged before the fight, party's long rest action not yet.

Donal 12/37 hp
Archer1 Eye 2/3


AvernusArt 2Grid
Donal wrote:

Perception: 1d2 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4

Disadvantage: 1d2 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

Woah woah, hold the phone...those were d2's my friend!


m LE half-elf Warlock 5 | HP 47/47, THP 0/8 | AC 14 | Saves: Str 0, Dex +2, Con +2, Int +1, Wis +3, Cha +7 | Perc 10 | Init +2 | DV60' | HD 0/5 | Inspiration - | Talisman 2/3 | Spells 1/2 | Invis -, Spray + | Cloak - | -

> You hear the bowstring coming from about 100 ft to the northwest.

Simon, slept with his head on the shield (so that it would not be stolen). Waking up from Don's cry of pain and listening, he smiled. My favorite part of the day... When everything is on fire. May the HELL break loose.

He strokes the shield with his hand and, smiling ominously, directs his finger to where the bowstring can be heard. A small red dot bursts out from the mouth of the muzzle on the shield...

Fireball: 8d6 ⇒ (6, 5, 5, 3, 6, 3, 5, 3) = 36

I hope that with a radius of 20 feet (40 feet in diameter) I will cover these guys... I also hope that the rain-soaked forest will not catch fire, the maximum will smolder - this is literally part of the plan. If I don't understand something, please correct me.


AvernusArt 2Grid

Simon, it takes an action to equip the shield. Then its another action to fireball. So you could equip it this round, then fire next. We can keep the damage roll as is if you still want to next round.


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Oops!

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18
Advantage: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9 Still same outcome... ^_^

Cursing, Donal snatches up his shield, Up! We are under attack!

The warrior springs to his feet and runs directly toward the archer!

Action, don shield. Move as far as I can toward the archer. Bonus action, Second Wind.

Second Wind: 1d10 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11

Sheet updated.


Halfling Dragonslayer | HP: 33/34 | 0/1d8 & 0d6 | Disguise 1/1 | Camo 2/3 | Recover 0/3 | Fast Rit 1/1 |1st 3/4 | 2nd 1/3 | Inspiration!
Stats:
AC 15 | Str -1 Dex +6 Con +2 Int +7 Wis +1 Cha -1 | Init +3 | Perc +7, Darkvision 120 ft | Insight +1

If there is enough cover along the the bottom of a rocky cliff face to sneak away...

Mal slings his quiver over a should, grabs his bow in one hand, and caresses his arcane crystal for comfort and confidence with the other. Staying low, the bold attacking halfling stays low and starts sneaking along the rocky cliff face. He wants to get around the archers, potentially befriending some.
Stealth: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10
Stand up 10 ft (25/2 round down) Move and Dash half speed, so (15+25 =40/2 =) 20 feet

If there is NOT enough cover along the the bottom of a rocky cliff face to sneak away...

Mal slings his quiver over a should, grabs his bow in one hand, and caresses his arcane crystal for comfort and confidence with the other. Staying low, the bold attacking halfling stays low and takes cover behind the cart.


AvernusArt 2Grid

Giving Grim a few more hours, but otherwise will update later.


AvernusArt 2Grid

Malaric creeps over to the stony rubble at the base of the cliff, attempting to fade from view. You are still within the light radius of the campfire, but can attempt your hide there in the rocks and sneak elsewhere. The archers are very far away, some 100ft.

Malaric:
With your superior darkvision, you can spot the archers far down the hill. One to the northeast is mounted on a horse, the other to the northwest is on foot and seems to be strafing towards the cliff...not moving closer to the campsite. They look like hobgoblins and both carry longbows, however the mounted one has a rope lasso at the ready.

Simon, who had just managed to doze off, awoke and strapped the shield to his arm stepping outside as the devil's song-that-never-ends returned to his waking conscious. Fireball capturing both archers isn't possible, they are more than 100 ft from each other (think a right triangle with you on the 90 degree vertex, the base sides 100 ft long pointing to both archers. The hypotenuse between them is ~140 ft.) But things might change before your next turn when you can actually cast it.

A groggy Fisk stumbled out with his belt open cocking his hand crossbow and diving under the cart. Bonus Hide: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16 Reya followed from next-door unarmored, her silver sword glistening in the campfire. She rushed over to her mastiff and roused it awake.

Grim grasps the shield of his battle brother, and it flares alight with a radiance that cuts through the night as they both stride towards the northwest. The source of the arrows remains out of sight for the duo, a crunching and rustling of branches and brush still some 30 ft from the edge of the dim light... Archer was 100 ft out, Grim/Donal advance 30. Light radius extends another 40, not revealing the archer. You can hear him, however, since they are not attempting to hide and can continue moving in that direction.

Round 2:
Archers <---UP
Mal, Simon, Fisk, Reya, Grim, Donal

Donal 23/37 hp


AvernusArt 2Grid

Attack1: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19
Attack1, adv unseen: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21
Dmg: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12
Archer's Eye Dmg: 1d10 ⇒ 3

Multiattack: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22
Multiattack, adv unseen: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12
Dmg: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7

Another 22 piercing damage to Donal.

Another pair of sharp barbed, steel arrows plunks into Donal's arm and leg from the dark rain...and if that wasn't enough, the bastards footsteps actually recede away another 30 ft.

Malaric watches as the mounted archer charges the campsite with tremendous speed, quickly tossing a lasso around one of the party's thoroughbred destriers and undoing its hitch...he's stealing a horse.

And now revealed in the light of the campfire.

Archer1 Eye 1/3

Round 2:
Archers
Mal, Simon, Fisk, Reya, Grim, Donal <---UP


m LE half-elf Warlock 5 | HP 47/47, THP 0/8 | AC 14 | Saves: Str 0, Dex +2, Con +2, Int +1, Wis +3, Cha +7 | Perc 10 | Init +2 | DV60' | HD 0/5 | Inspiration - | Talisman 2/3 | Spells 1/2 | Invis -, Spray + | Cloak - | -

And then the fireball goes to one of the archers. Probably not to where Donal and Grim are running, so as not to accidentally touch them.


AvernusArt 2Grid

That one is by itself still 60 ft from Donal/Grim, the other is right in the middle of all the mounts and Reya. I'll assume you want to get the one by itself.

The shield at the warlock's side flares to life, again its bejeweled maw and gold filigree warping and distorting to birth a tiny corpuscle of hell that streams off into the night. It streams past the charging Tormtar and Doomguide with a high-pitched whistle, the Hidden Lord's truesight marking their foe...

Dex vs Simon: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

*fWOOOM*

"Aaaah!"

Unlike in the confined corridors of Vanthampur's underground lair, the outdoors allow one to witness the full destructive power of the shield. A 40 ft diameter of consuming fire some 20 ft high bursts into view, the lapping tendrils of flame like towering buildings consuming nature. While most of the area is damp with rain, dry spots near the bases of a few larger trees erupt and burn...The fireball starts a few small fires, with the effect of lighting the area for Donal/Grim. They can now actually see the wounded hobgoblin archer about 60 ft away from them.

Archer1 39/75


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

At 1 hp... X( He looks like Boromir right now! Four arrows... too many...

Donal nods to Grim and surges forward! Action Surge to close the difference, moving 60 in totals and attack!

+1 mace: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12 Using inspiration!
Inspiration: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17
Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6


AvernusArt 2Grid

Hits AC 16. Grim and Mal up.


Halfling Dragonslayer | HP: 33/34 | 0/1d8 & 0d6 | Disguise 1/1 | Camo 2/3 | Recover 0/3 | Fast Rit 1/1 |1st 3/4 | 2nd 1/3 | Inspiration!
Stats:
AC 15 | Str -1 Dex +6 Con +2 Int +7 Wis +1 Cha -1 | Init +3 | Perc +7, Darkvision 120 ft | Insight +1

Mal pulls out a bolt and shoots the hobgoblin in melee with Donal.
crossbow: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 191d8 + 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (1) + (2) + 3 = 6

Then, he ducks down and moves.
Stealth: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23
Think a Move at half is another 15 feet


AvernusArt 2Grid

Light xbow is range 80/320, and that archer is ~130 ft from you. Please roll disadvantage, your previous Hide (10) was too low.


Halfling Dragonslayer | HP: 33/34 | 0/1d8 & 0d6 | Disguise 1/1 | Camo 2/3 | Recover 0/3 | Fast Rit 1/1 |1st 3/4 | 2nd 1/3 | Inspiration!
Stats:
AC 15 | Str -1 Dex +6 Con +2 Int +7 Wis +1 Cha -1 | Init +3 | Perc +7, Darkvision 120 ft | Insight +1

I'm sorry. Thought Donal was attacking the one with the horses and that they were within 80 ft. Confused
Disadvantage: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16


Male human ftr 5 | AC 17 (19) | hp 46/47 | 5 HD (1 used) | Saves S +6, D +2, C +6, I +0, W +1, Ch +1 | Second Wind used [ ] | Inspiration [ ] | Action Surge used [ ] | passive Perception 14

Donal was charging the one that has been plugging him with arrows.

2,201 to 2,250 of 3,231 << first < prev | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / [5e] Descent into Avernus Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.