GM Doug's Troubles in Otari (Inactive)

Game Master Doug Hahn

Macros | Loot | Maps


951 to 1,000 of 1,216 << first < prev | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | next > last >>

Female Ganzi Dwarf Amateur Hireling | +5 Skills

"A brother, you say? Be he in charge of the Lardbutt Boys? Perhaps he be your twin? Though... I cannot say which of you be the EVIL twin, then!"

Gandipha smashes her tail into the mage.

Ganzi Tail (Brawling, Sweep) + Magic Fang + Bless: 1d20 + 8 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 8 + 1 + 1 = 23
Bludgeoning damage: 2d6 + 3 ⇒ (6, 2) + 3 = 11

"Be it you, killing people to turn into your minions?"

Ganzi Tail (Brawling, Sweep) + Magic Fang + Bless: 1d20 + 8 + 1 + 1 - 5 ⇒ (13) + 8 + 1 + 1 - 5 = 18
Bludgeoning damage: 2d6 + 3 ⇒ (6, 2) + 3 = 11

'Naw, you both plenty evil! Maybe... you be the lesser of evils. Maybe you be the stooge the real evil genius hides behind!"

Ganzi Tail (Brawling, Sweep) + Magic Fang + Bless: 1d20 + 8 + 1 + 1 - 10 ⇒ (13) + 8 + 1 + 1 - 10 = 13
Bludgeoning damage: 2d6 + 3 ⇒ (3, 3) + 3 = 9

Her last two strikes are wild, but make satisfying slaps against the wall as the necromancer dodges her attacks.

Sigh. There seems to be no higher ground bonus in PF2 to aid my strike!

Grand Archive

LN Male (he/his) death warden dwarf rogue [thief] 3 | HP 30/37 | AC 21| Fort +6; Ref +11; Will +8 | Perc: +8(E) (+9 to find traps) (Darkvision) | Speed 20ft| Hero Points 0/3 |Exploration Mode: Avoid Notice | Active conditions: Deny Advantage,

will save DC21: 1d20 + 8 - 1 ⇒ (15) + 8 - 1 = 22
"Yeah, a real dwarf don' scare dat easy!" Dethor yells, trying to keep the warble out of his voice. He stabs at the bad dwarf again

ol' stabby vs FF: 1d20 + 10 - 1 ⇒ (1) + 10 - 1 = 10 P (or S) magic, striking + precision: 2d6 + 4 + 1d6 ⇒ (4, 4) + 4 + (3) = 15
ol' stabby vs FF: 1d20 + 10 - 4 - 1 ⇒ (18) + 10 - 4 - 1 = 23 P (or S) magic, striking + precision: 2d6 + 4 + 1d6 ⇒ (5, 6) + 4 + (3) = 18

Then, if the bad guy still stands, he raises his shield.

And then frightened goes away!


NG M Forge Dwarf Barbarian 4 | HP (81) 74/74 | AC <20> 21 (22) | F +11 R +7 W +9 | Perc +9 (darkvision) | Stealth +1 | 20 ft | Focus: 1/1 | Hero Point: 1/3 | Active Conditions: toughness, deny advantage (L4), resist fire 2

Assisted Recovery Flat DC 10: 1d20 ⇒ 16

Biltri grunts, "Thanks." He then proceeds to continue swinging the red-hot steel fist over his head and at the necromancer.

Recover, Strike, Strike

+1 meteor hammer, Bless: 1d20 + 10 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 10 + 1 = 27
Magic, B, +4 Fire Rage: 1d8 + 4 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 + 4 = 13

+1 meteor hammer, Bless: 1d20 + 10 - 5 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 10 - 5 + 1 = 22
Magic, B, +4 Fire Rage: 1d8 + 4 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 + 4 = 16


SoT (Grad School Year 1, Sem. 1): Maps, Quests, Handouts, Macros Kobolds: Maps & Handouts | Macros [KiT]

Spoiler:
1d20 ⇒ 6

YOU CANNOT KILL ME — I HAVE BEEN PROMISED TO BECOME DEATH ITSELF, I—

As the necromancer falls, his skeleton rips free of its flesh! As the dead tissue sloughs to the table, the risen creature mindlessly swipes at Nandipha!

In a gruesome way, the necromancer was correct about whatever bargain he struck. However, it's safe to say that having his own skeleton tear out of his own body wasn’t QUITE what he had in mind…

❧ ❧ ❧

When you make Deals with the Devil…

Pathetic Mindless Skeleton

Lucius
Nandipha, Magic Tail
Baux, 10’ aura
Biltri, -11 HP
Dethor


NG M Forge Dwarf Barbarian 4 | HP (81) 74/74 | AC <20> 21 (22) | F +11 R +7 W +9 | Perc +9 (darkvision) | Stealth +1 | 20 ft | Focus: 1/1 | Hero Point: 1/3 | Active Conditions: toughness, deny advantage (L4), resist fire 2

"Now you just need to be put out of your misery," Biltri grumbles as he whips the burning chain past Dethor's head over and over in his attempt to smash the skeleton to dust.

Strike, Strike, Strike

+1 Meteor Hammer, Bless: 1d20 + 10 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 10 + 1 = 21
Magic, B, +4 Fire Rage: 1d8 + 4 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 + 4 = 14

+1 Meteor Hammer, Bless: 1d20 + 10 - 5 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 10 - 5 + 1 = 25
Magic, B, +4 Fire Rage: 1d8 + 4 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 + 4 = 16

+1 Meteor Hammer, Bless: 1d20 + 10 - 10 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 10 - 10 + 1 = 17
Magic, B, +4 Fire Rage: 1d8 + 4 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 + 4 = 10


NG Male Forge Dwarf Cleric of Desna 4 | HP 50/50| AC 20 (22 w/ shield) | F +10 R +7 W +11 | Resist Fire 2 | | Hero Points 2| Divine Font: 2/2 | Wand Heal used: 0| Exploration: Scout Detect Magic | Conditions:

Baux just shakes his head. "Evidently it was gory rather than glory."

Then he tries to disrupt the skeleton before everyone else has smashed it to bits.

DIsrupt Undead, Positive Energy. Basic Fortitude save DC 18: 2d6 + 3 ⇒ (4, 2) + 3 = 9


SoT (Grad School Year 1, Sem. 1): Maps, Quests, Handouts, Macros Kobolds: Maps & Handouts | Macros [KiT]

The skeleton understands neither wordplay nor pity as it’s smashed to bits.

out of combat! I’ll catch up up tonight!


SoT (Grad School Year 1, Sem. 1): Maps, Quests, Handouts, Macros Kobolds: Maps & Handouts | Macros [KiT]

Spoiler:
Baux’s Religion (E): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 16
Biltri’s Religion (T): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25
Dethor’s Religion (U): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 = 14
Lucius Caligari’s Religion (T): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9

Lucius Caligari’s Legal Lore (T): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (9) + 9 = 18

Morgrym carries a wand topped with a skull — a wand of fear. He also has a spellbook with some common spells.

Most of the materials on the table are Morgrym’s notes about necromancy — content that's exactly mad and revolting as the necromancer himself.

❧ ❧ ❧
Morgrym’s Journal Entries

The journal details the Leadbusters’ plans to ruin small-business lumbering efforts in the region. A more recent entry details how Kotgar murdered a cook from the camp; Morgrym had plans to make the body into a zombie chef. Morgrym seemed rather jealous his brother Hagrit's devil-summoning success; it is Hagrit who was using the pentagram to summon hellhounds.

You can tell from the journal that there were four brothers: Kotgar, a warrior with a maul and pet leopard; Hagrit, the eldest and a worshiper of Asmodeus; Morgrym, a necromancer; and Omblin, a rogue.

This is enough evidence to prove the Leadbuster Lads were behind the attacks all along. However, there is no mention of the Kortos Consortium.

❧ ❧ ❧
A Mysterious Note

Atop all these notes, is a scrap of parchment with words scrawled in a strange hand:

Mysterious Note wrote:

yOu leADBuSteR lAdS aRe STePPIng inTo BuSIneSS YoU’d BE sMart to aVOiD. foR yOuR OWn GOoD.

tHe motHeR OF MOnsteRS Demands aLlegIANCe FroM aLl!

Baux, Biltri, and Dethor think “mother of monsters” is a reference to Lamashtu. Lucius thinks it’s Folgrit, the wife of Torag and the dwarves deity of community and family. It makes sense these dwarves might be in a theological debate with other dwarves.

❧ ❧ ❧
A Deed

There is nothing else of value inside the keep. Outside, you quickly dispatch the sewer ooze (Dethor was right), and find inside the box a brittle piece of parchment:

Parchment wrote:
The bearer of this deed is the right and just owner of Maunder Castle, Maunder Bridge, and all appurtenances thereto.

Lucius believes that this is an old, but enforceable legal document — your claim to ownership would be strongly boosted if you were to fix up the castle and keep the bridge in good repair.

The box also has a silver signet ring with a large ruby worth 50 gp; the ring’s band is inscribed with the words Lord Maunder.

At the bottom of the pool is a single Climbing Bolt.

❧ ❧ ❧

It's time to head back to town. You are also the newest owners of Maunder castle!

What will you report? What will you do with the deed to the castle?


NG Male Forge Dwarf Cleric of Desna 4 | HP 50/50| AC 20 (22 w/ shield) | F +10 R +7 W +11 | Resist Fire 2 | | Hero Points 2| Divine Font: 2/2 | Wand Heal used: 0| Exploration: Scout Detect Magic | Conditions:

After the battle with the ooze, Baux admits to Dethor "Seems ya know yer oozes. Not gunna let pride git in the way of admittin' when yer right."

After going through all the papers, Baux frowns. "Nothin' linkin' them to Kortos. Unfortunate, that."

"We should probably bring the cook's body back to the lumber camp and tell 'em they should be safe. Lads will not be causin' them any more troubles."

Tapping the threatening note, he adds "Guess we git to keep look out fer other trouble. Seems lads ain't the only trouble makers in these parts."

"Anyone got any ideas what ta do wit' the keep? I'm sorta fond of the fishing camp myself."

Grand Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
LN Male (he/his) death warden dwarf rogue [thief] 3 | HP 30/37 | AC 21| Fort +6; Ref +11; Will +8 | Perc: +8(E) (+9 to find traps) (Darkvision) | Speed 20ft| Hero Points 0/3 |Exploration Mode: Avoid Notice | Active conditions: Deny Advantage,

"Keep looks like sumthin' a dwarf might wanna fixer up. Kind of shoddy, since it ain't been made by nae dwarf, but methinks me can fixer up."

"Did we keel dat Omblin, or did he gets away? Don' ken if we wan no brudder lookin' fer vengeance. Dat ain't good fer bidness."

"And, Baux, I ainta gonna let it go ter me head. I been wrong enough lately. How kin dwarves gae so bad? I just don' get it."


NG Male Forge Dwarf Cleric of Desna 4 | HP 50/50| AC 20 (22 w/ shield) | F +10 R +7 W +11 | Resist Fire 2 | | Hero Points 2| Divine Font: 2/2 | Wand Heal used: 0| Exploration: Scout Detect Magic | Conditions:

Omblin was the sneaky fella that tried ta remove my kidney while we was fightin’ Hagrit.

Greed is usual answer fer how one of our kin goes bad. Seems power fed inta it in here, but no idea why. Think it betta we not understand some things.

Grand Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
LN Male (he/his) death warden dwarf rogue [thief] 3 | HP 30/37 | AC 21| Fort +6; Ref +11; Will +8 | Perc: +8(E) (+9 to find traps) (Darkvision) | Speed 20ft| Hero Points 0/3 |Exploration Mode: Avoid Notice | Active conditions: Deny Advantage,

"Greed? I've heared of it, but ain't never had time to deal wit' it. Jus' takes too much work, ye' ken? Git as much as ye' need, den be dun wit' it."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Ganzi Dwarf Amateur Hireling | +5 Skills

Nandipha raises an eyebrow at the thought of Dethor getting up the gumption to fix anything. "Really? Before you be fixing up this Keep, why don't you fix that squeaky kitchen door I asked you about last week?" Then she shrugs. "Though... I suppose that this could be a nice place once you get Baux to exorcise the evil spirits out of it. This could be an extension of your own haunted castle business, and you can charge people for tours!"

Then she looks to the others. "Lucius, did you use our ghost's grandmother's sword in battle? If not, we better find some trouble to fix with it before going home. I want to tell that boy that his sword went adventuring, or we gonna be hearing ghostly wailing all night long."


SoT (Grad School Year 1, Sem. 1): Maps, Quests, Handouts, Macros Kobolds: Maps & Handouts | Macros [KiT]

You could also use deception on your friendly ghost (they/them), or perform to tell a tall tale!


2 people marked this as a favorite.
SoT (Grad School Year 1, Sem. 1): Maps, Quests, Handouts, Macros Kobolds: Maps & Handouts | Macros [KiT]

Farmers and lumberjacks in the greater Otari area are overjoyed that you've eliminated this menace from their land!

That night, in Tamily's Fishery, Jala Highstepper (if you recall, she's the leader of the farmer's guild), and Klorte Hengus (the owner of the flume) approach you.

Klorte buys a round of the best ale and sits down, his beefy hand wrapped around his mug. We know it was them Kortos Consortium jerks, but being skeevy types, they're better than roaches at hiding. We expect they'll lay low for a while yet, the cowards. He spits in the sawdust on the floor. Tamiy Tanderveil yells at him from behind the bar: This ain't no bloody arena, Klorte! Klorte waves his hand. BAH! Wish it was, and then I could clobber them union-bustin' Consortium types!!

Jala slides a pouch across the table. We collected a thank-you from our guildmates. It's not much, but we wanted to show our appreciation. Inside is 50 gp!

It is time to level to 4! You can have some downtime to tie up loose ends, deal with your real estate (fix up the castle? Find a buyer?), tell ghost stories, earn some income (maybe 16 days?), etc!

Grand Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
LN Male (he/his) death warden dwarf rogue [thief] 3 | HP 30/37 | AC 21| Fort +6; Ref +11; Will +8 | Perc: +8(E) (+9 to find traps) (Darkvision) | Speed 20ft| Hero Points 0/3 |Exploration Mode: Avoid Notice | Active conditions: Deny Advantage,

"I was gonna get to it. We ain't been here dat long, and it ain't that loud." complains Dethor. "I mean, it ain't dwarf-made, so I 'spect it gonna be bad."


NG Male Forge Dwarf Cleric of Desna 4 | HP 50/50| AC 20 (22 w/ shield) | F +10 R +7 W +11 | Resist Fire 2 | | Hero Points 2| Divine Font: 2/2 | Wand Heal used: 0| Exploration: Scout Detect Magic | Conditions:

At the Fishery, Baux is happy to join in the celebrating and drinking.

"Sorry we got no evidence, jes told by Kotgar that who was payin' them. He seemed most rational of the bunch. Think Morgrym was most addled but Hagrit also several bricks short."

"Glad ta have helped out!"

Vigilant Seal

NG Hellspawn Tiefling Investigator/Talisman Dabbler | HP 38/38 | AC 19 | Class DC 20 | F: +7, R: +9, W: +11 | Perc: +11 | Speed 30ft | Ranged: Crossbow +6 1d6 Melee: Sword Cane +6 1d6 Active conditions: None

Relieved to have solved the case of the Leadbuster Lads, Lucius celebrates with a frothy mug as well.

"I'm sure there's something nice we can do with the keep, once we've gotten rid of those pentagrams. Ugh."

Do we know anything about Lord Maunder? If not, Lucius will ask around town, at the library and bookstore.


NG M Forge Dwarf Barbarian 4 | HP (81) 74/74 | AC <20> 21 (22) | F +11 R +7 W +9 | Perc +9 (darkvision) | Stealth +1 | 20 ft | Focus: 1/1 | Hero Point: 1/3 | Active Conditions: toughness, deny advantage (L4), resist fire 2

"Better castle than fishing shacks," Biltri comments. "But, yes, Asmodeus' décor needs to go."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
NG Male Forge Dwarf Cleric of Desna 4 | HP 50/50| AC 20 (22 w/ shield) | F +10 R +7 W +11 | Resist Fire 2 | | Hero Points 2| Divine Font: 2/2 | Wand Heal used: 0| Exploration: Scout Detect Magic | Conditions:

Baux sets to work on cleaning the floor of the keep.

"Think we need ta just toss the table."

What pentagram?

Grand Archive

LN Male (he/his) death warden dwarf rogue [thief] 3 | HP 30/37 | AC 21| Fort +6; Ref +11; Will +8 | Perc: +8(E) (+9 to find traps) (Darkvision) | Speed 20ft| Hero Points 0/3 |Exploration Mode: Avoid Notice | Active conditions: Deny Advantage,

"Meh. Don' much matter t' me. Ima gonna fixer up, 'eventually. Slap some paint on it, new carpet, ye' git th' idear."

Vigilant Seal

1 person marked this as a favorite.
NG Hellspawn Tiefling Investigator/Talisman Dabbler | HP 38/38 | AC 19 | Class DC 20 | F: +7, R: +9, W: +11 | Perc: +11 | Speed 30ft | Ranged: Crossbow +6 1d6 Melee: Sword Cane +6 1d6 Active conditions: None

Later, when the revelry has died down, Lucius returns to Blue Finley to regal them with tales of adventure.

...so I drew the sword and rained lightening down upon him." He tells of how the party defeated the Leadbuster Lads, emphasizing Grandmother's sword as much as possible.

...and then, having had enough, I strode up to the fiendish necromancer and said something witty about devils and then I struck him down with the sword." He is reluctant to talk about hell to one who died so young and tragically, but he chuckles at the memory nonetheless.

Perform: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13

Grand Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
LN Male (he/his) death warden dwarf rogue [thief] 3 | HP 30/37 | AC 21| Fort +6; Ref +11; Will +8 | Perc: +8(E) (+9 to find traps) (Darkvision) | Speed 20ft| Hero Points 0/3 |Exploration Mode: Avoid Notice | Active conditions: Deny Advantage,

With some time to kill, and chores to avoid, Dethor wanders around town for the next couple of weeks. He makes friends with the locals, but somehow always seems to walk away with something that he didn't have when he started. It was never intentional, and when he would pick up a misplaced item, he always meant to give it back, but it never seemed to happen.

Also, occasionally, when he emptied his pockets at the end of the day, there would often be a trinket or two that he remembered looking at when in a store or market, but that he thought he had put back.

Either way, it was probably too much work to returning them, what with all of the explaining that was needed and all, so he just kept them.

2 8-day thievery earn incomes
Thievery(E) DC19: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (20) + 12 = 32 Crit! for 8gp
Thievery(E) DC19: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (15) + 12 = 27 Success for 6.4gp

This will all likely turn into consumables and trinkets. Will post later what he took to total the 14.4gp


3 people marked this as a favorite.
Female Ganzi Dwarf Amateur Hireling | +5 Skills

Nandipha opens the door in her kitchen, and then hears that annoying squeak again.

"DETHOR!! Where have you got off to?" Her tail twitches with annoyance. "Beard obsessed dwarf, never where he supposed to be..."

Grand Archive

4 people marked this as a favorite.
LN Male (he/his) death warden dwarf rogue [thief] 3 | HP 30/37 | AC 21| Fort +6; Ref +11; Will +8 | Perc: +8(E) (+9 to find traps) (Darkvision) | Speed 20ft| Hero Points 0/3 |Exploration Mode: Avoid Notice | Active conditions: Deny Advantage,

Dethor wanders back in later the afternoon, absentmindedly playing with a new pen. "snickt!" the hidden blade flips out, causing the dwarf to grin mightily. "snickt!" it conceals itself again.

He pushes through the door, hearing the loud squeak. "Should do sumfin 'bout dat, shall I?" he says as he plops himself down at the table, and grabs a carrot from the pile.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
SoT (Grad School Year 1, Sem. 1): Maps, Quests, Handouts, Macros Kobolds: Maps & Handouts | Macros [KiT]

Blue Finley listens to Lucius's tale, but they are a little bemused at some parts. They still sniffle a little bit afterward. Maybe because the Tiefling decided to emphasize his own wit at the story's pivotal moment. Do adventurers usually show off about their own quips so much? wonders the ghost.

Yes they do, Finley. They do indeed :p


NG Male Forge Dwarf Cleric of Desna 4 | HP 50/50| AC 20 (22 w/ shield) | F +10 R +7 W +11 | Resist Fire 2 | | Hero Points 2| Divine Font: 2/2 | Wand Heal used: 0| Exploration: Scout Detect Magic | Conditions:

Baux helps with fixing up the castle and any remaining tasks at the fishing camp. It doesn't take anyone asking him to do it, he just shows up and starts working.

The second week, he decides to see if he can't get a little work as a deckhand on a fishing ship, earn a little extra cash.
Sailing Lore T: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17 Assuming we would be looking at level -2 task, that is a success. 8 days would be 2.4 gp


SoT (Grad School Year 1, Sem. 1): Maps, Quests, Handouts, Macros Kobolds: Maps & Handouts | Macros [KiT]

Just as you begin to wonder whether you'll ever put all your wonderful new treasures to use,

Your friendly messenger knocks on the door… the same kid as before. Priestess Vandy said to get the dwarves and scary elf and bring 'em to the Dawnflower Library if they want work. Those of you who've interacted with Vandy probably know she'd never call someone "scary." She is far too nice. However, Dethor knows she has little patience for thievery. Hopefully, his exploits won't lead to a talking-to!

That's you, right? I forget. Just like before, he sticks out a hand for his tip, then runs off towards the forest. Again he stops and turns. You comin', or what?


NG Male Forge Dwarf Cleric of Desna 4 | HP 50/50| AC 20 (22 w/ shield) | F +10 R +7 W +11 | Resist Fire 2 | | Hero Points 2| Divine Font: 2/2 | Wand Heal used: 0| Exploration: Scout Detect Magic | Conditions:

Baux hands him a few coins.

"Slow down, we got ta git our gear. No sense goin' there without it."

He then relays to the others that there is another job to do. He even tells Blue Finley so that he knows to expect more stories.

Grand Archive

LN Male (he/his) death warden dwarf rogue [thief] 3 | HP 30/37 | AC 21| Fort +6; Ref +11; Will +8 | Perc: +8(E) (+9 to find traps) (Darkvision) | Speed 20ft| Hero Points 0/3 |Exploration Mode: Avoid Notice | Active conditions: Deny Advantage,

"Work? Pretty sure I'm allergic." says Dethor, while picking his fingernails with a new throwing knife. "What she wan' us fer?"


NG Male Forge Dwarf Cleric of Desna 4 | HP 50/50| AC 20 (22 w/ shield) | F +10 R +7 W +11 | Resist Fire 2 | | Hero Points 2| Divine Font: 2/2 | Wand Heal used: 0| Exploration: Scout Detect Magic | Conditions:

"Priest of Sarenrae, so likely ta' be good cause. Wonder if'n she found out somethin' about those Lamashtu folks that threatened the lads?"

We probably should have asked around about that a little more. Well, too late now!

Vigilant Seal

NG Hellspawn Tiefling Investigator/Talisman Dabbler | HP 38/38 | AC 19 | Class DC 20 | F: +7, R: +9, W: +11 | Perc: +11 | Speed 30ft | Ranged: Crossbow +6 1d6 Melee: Sword Cane +6 1d6 Active conditions: None

"Did someone say scary elf?"

Lucius steps out with his shiny, new occult pendant and gives Baux a nod.

"Let's go find out, shall we?"

All set to go!

Grand Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
LN Male (he/his) death warden dwarf rogue [thief] 3 | HP 30/37 | AC 21| Fort +6; Ref +11; Will +8 | Perc: +8(E) (+9 to find traps) (Darkvision) | Speed 20ft| Hero Points 0/3 |Exploration Mode: Avoid Notice | Active conditions: Deny Advantage,

"Ye' ain't so scary, elfie. Don't be gettin' yerself inta a tizzy!"


2 people marked this as a favorite.
NG M Forge Dwarf Barbarian 4 | HP (81) 74/74 | AC <20> 21 (22) | F +11 R +7 W +9 | Perc +9 (darkvision) | Stealth +1 | 20 ft | Focus: 1/1 | Hero Point: 1/3 | Active Conditions: toughness, deny advantage (L4), resist fire 2

"Anyone that's seen him fight knows he's not scary," Biltri grumbles as he begins putting on his armor.


SoT (Grad School Year 1, Sem. 1): Maps, Quests, Handouts, Macros Kobolds: Maps & Handouts | Macros [KiT]

Mission briefing wall of text incoming!

You make your way to the temple of the Dawnflower. The front doors open directly into the temple’s central, domed area built in the Qadiran style. Past a small desk, tall bookshelves fill the space, leaving several feet between their tops and the dome’s apex. Stained-glass windows in the dome depict the Dawnflower healing the wounded and illuminating dark, monster-filled caverns. The light from the morning sun causes these depictions to serenely glow, warmly illuminating much of the library below.

A thin, blond halfling woman emerges from behind the desk, smiling widely. Her boots click softly as she crosses the marble floor. “Hello, hello!” she chirps. “I’m so glad you came! I’m Vandy Banderdash, the head librarian and priestess of Sarenrae. Please, come with me to my office. I have something very interesting to show you!”

Vandy leads you through the library and up some stairs to a cramped set of quarters in the temple’s eastern minaret, where she offers you lemon cookies and spicy Quadiran tea. She makes small talk for a few moments — mostly how you like Otari, what you plan on doing with Maunder castle, and the like.

After several minutes, Vandy gets down to business and retrieves a blue leather-bound ledger from a personal bookcase to show the heroes.

This is a copy of the journal of Thida Aubade, a Champion of the Dawnflower. She and her friends were investigating a cult of Lamashtu in the Otari region. In the course of these investigations, they captured a kobold cultist and eventually made them repent. The kobold told them of a place called The Scar, a place hidden by terrifying illusions that — and I quote _ "only those blessed with three-eyed sight can pass safely.”

The kobold also mentioned a “Test of the Five Beasts.”

Thida, ever dutiful, notes that she discovered the “Laws of the Five Beasts” in an obscure religious text, copying them in their entirety into her journal.

She summarizes the text in an excited voice, but now she frowns. It's been months since we heard from Thida. She was last seen heading towards The Scar with her squire and an acolyte halfling, Billard Truewood; as well her dwarf friend, Vuzi Nerren. What's worse, Billard was carrying an artifact of the Church, an item called the Sun Wheel. I fear the worse: that Thida and her companions fell in service to the Dawnflower, and that the artifact is being kept by the cult as a grisly trophy.

Most importantly, I fear the cult is close to recuperating from whatever righteous damage our Champion did. They threaten Otari.

I ask you to head into the hinterlands to find the Scar, take down the cultists, and retrieve anything owned by Thida Aubade, Billard Truewood, and Vuzi Nerren. Keep an eye out for the Sun Wheel, which is a copper disc emblazoned with a stylized image of the sun. You may keep whatever else you find.

Will you help? If so, I will give you this copy of Thida's journal.

Vigilant Seal

NG Hellspawn Tiefling Investigator/Talisman Dabbler | HP 38/38 | AC 19 | Class DC 20 | F: +7, R: +9, W: +11 | Perc: +11 | Speed 30ft | Ranged: Crossbow +6 1d6 Melee: Sword Cane +6 1d6 Active conditions: None

”I would be very interested in taking up the case. If I’m to understand, it’s a party of four that has gone missing, and this sun wheel relic, of course.”


SoT (Grad School Year 1, Sem. 1): Maps, Quests, Handouts, Macros Kobolds: Maps & Handouts | Macros [KiT]

Three: Thida, Billard, and Vuzi.


NG Male Forge Dwarf Cleric of Desna 4 | HP 50/50| AC 20 (22 w/ shield) | F +10 R +7 W +11 | Resist Fire 2 | | Hero Points 2| Divine Font: 2/2 | Wand Heal used: 0| Exploration: Scout Detect Magic | Conditions:

Cult of Lamashtu likely ta be danger ta travelers. It isn’t only Sarenrae that would want them gone.

How experienced were the three that went out from yer church?


SoT (Grad School Year 1, Sem. 1): Maps, Quests, Handouts, Macros Kobolds: Maps & Handouts | Macros [KiT]

The church wouldn't have let them go if they weren't experienced adventurers. Thida was known for the spirit of protection granted by the Dawnflower, and she always had an aura of righteousness that kept her allies courageous even in the face of danger.


SoT (Grad School Year 1, Sem. 1): Maps, Quests, Handouts, Macros Kobolds: Maps & Handouts | Macros [KiT]

She also points out the Laws of the Five Beasts from the journal:

Laws of the Five beasts wrote:

• Only one Beast shall be placed in each Pen.

• No Beast wishes to see another Beast by looking directly North or directly East.

• Two Beasts shall not be in pens that touch, lest they come to blows.

Art of the Sun Wheel and these laws on slide 1.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Ganzi Dwarf Amateur Hireling | +5 Skills

"We may not always be righteous, but we be stubborn." Nandipha crosses her arms. "We'll take your job!"


NG M Forge Dwarf Barbarian 4 | HP (81) 74/74 | AC <20> 21 (22) | F +11 R +7 W +9 | Perc +9 (darkvision) | Stealth +1 | 20 ft | Focus: 1/1 | Hero Point: 1/3 | Active Conditions: toughness, deny advantage (L4), resist fire 2

"Aye. This is work that needs to be done," Biltri agrees. "We might need to prepare for a long task. Do you have a map to the area the scar is supposed to be?"


SoT (Grad School Year 1, Sem. 1): Maps, Quests, Handouts, Macros Kobolds: Maps & Handouts | Macros [KiT]

You’ll have to find The Scar based on Thida’s notes. Don’t forget, the area is warded with powerful illusion.

One of you, likely Nandipha, will need to use Survival for an exploration activity to find the area.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
SoT (Grad School Year 1, Sem. 1): Maps, Quests, Handouts, Macros Kobolds: Maps & Handouts | Macros [KiT]

Nandipha’s Survival (E), Compass, Journal: 1d20 + 11 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 11 + 2 = 26

GM screen:
Lucius Caligari’s Nature (T): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27

Baux, Scout: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (11) + 10 = 21
Biltri, Search: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28
Dethor, Avoid Notice: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (19) + 11 = 30
Lucius Caligari, Investigate: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (19) + 11 = 30
Nandipha, Survival: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (1) + 11 = 12

1: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8
2: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7
3: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23
4: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15
Leader: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (7) + 11 = 18

Baux’s Perception (T): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 16
Biltri’s Perception (E): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28
Dethor’s Perception (E): 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (5) + 11 = 16
Lucius Caligari’s Perception (E): 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (15) + 11 = 26
Nandipha’s Perception (E): 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (14) + 11 = 25

With Thida’s notes and Nandipha’s Expert survival, you are fairly confident that you’re in the area of the Scar after only half a day.

Here, the land begins to rise slightly and In the distance ahead rise the Kortos Mountains.

Lucius, investigating, notices something off about the landscape. He recalls the existence of a large ridge nearby. However, there’s only a small ridge ahead and nothing else but low, empty hills.

❧ ❧ ❧

A small rise reveals a band of orcs, lounging under a tree. They stand up and draw weapons. The leader points at you shouts something to her companions.

Orcish:
More of them come hunting us, just because we’re different! Defend yourselves! Avenge your fallen friends!

The orcs shout war-cries and draw their weapons. So do you.

The Warband

No terrain notes; this is a grassy area and it's some random map I found online.

Dethor
Lucius
Biltri
Baux

--
Leader
Orc 4
Orc 3
--
Nandipha
--
Orc 1
Orc 2
--

Lucius, That’s Odd:
There’s something about their demeanor

DC 18 Perception to Seek:

Spoiler:
These orcs have many recent scars as if they’ve been beaten up and fighting a lot. Their orcish armor and weapons are mismatched as if piecemealed together. They seem really travel-worn and bedraggled like they have been on the run for a while.

Biltri, Nandipha, Lucius:
It’s hard to tell with the language barrier but you are perceptive enough to tell these orcs seem righteous rather than bloodthirsty as if they are the ones redressing a grave injustice or wrong here.


NG Male Forge Dwarf Cleric of Desna 4 | HP 50/50| AC 20 (22 w/ shield) | F +10 R +7 W +11 | Resist Fire 2 | | Hero Points 2| Divine Font: 2/2 | Wand Heal used: 0| Exploration: Scout Detect Magic | Conditions:

Baux raises his shield, moves up for better position, and then gives Biltri a bit of divine insight.

Raise Shield, Stride, Cast Guidance on Biltri.

Vigilant Seal

NG Hellspawn Tiefling Investigator/Talisman Dabbler | HP 38/38 | AC 19 | Class DC 20 | F: +7, R: +9, W: +11 | Perc: +11 | Speed 30ft | Ranged: Crossbow +6 1d6 Melee: Sword Cane +6 1d6 Active conditions: None

Lucius senses something odd with the orcs, so he takes a moment to look closer.

Seek: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (14) + 11 = 25

"Look at their fresh scars. These orcs were recently in a fight. I think they've been on the run for a while. They probably need our help more than anything."

Lucius moves forward to stand beside Baux, and makes a show of holding up his empty hands.

I'm trying to deescalate things, but I don't have any points in Diplomacy. Still, Lucius is an expert in Society.


NG Male Forge Dwarf Cleric of Desna 4 | HP 50/50| AC 20 (22 w/ shield) | F +10 R +7 W +11 | Resist Fire 2 | | Hero Points 2| Divine Font: 2/2 | Wand Heal used: 0| Exploration: Scout Detect Magic | Conditions:

So don’t attack first? Anyone know what they said?


NG M Forge Dwarf Barbarian 4 | HP (81) 74/74 | AC <20> 21 (22) | F +11 R +7 W +9 | Perc +9 (darkvision) | Stealth +1 | 20 ft | Focus: 1/1 | Hero Point: 1/3 | Active Conditions: toughness, deny advantage (L4), resist fire 2

"Why would I know what orcs are saying?" Biltri mutters. "Ancestral enemies don't negotiate. Still, it would not be a fair fight if they're worn down by some other fight."

Delay until after Leader's action.

Grand Archive

LN Male (he/his) death warden dwarf rogue [thief] 3 | HP 30/37 | AC 21| Fort +6; Ref +11; Will +8 | Perc: +8(E) (+9 to find traps) (Darkvision) | Speed 20ft| Hero Points 0/3 |Exploration Mode: Avoid Notice | Active conditions: Deny Advantage,

”Ye’ better be right, elfie.”

Dethor moves to where he can take some cover and hide. next turn


SoT (Grad School Year 1, Sem. 1): Maps, Quests, Handouts, Macros Kobolds: Maps & Handouts | Macros [KiT]

GM screen:
1d20 ⇒ 11

Lucius, make a check of some kind to try and demonstrate your good intentions along with your gesture. Perhaps Society to try and get something across a perceived language barrier.

The Warband

No terrain notes; this is a grassy area and it's some random map I found online.

Dethor, Undetected
Lucius, 1 action left (society to try and de-escalate, perhaps?)
Baux, shield raised
--
Leader
Biltri, Guidanced
Orc 4
Orc 3
--
Nandipha
--
Orc 1
Orc 2
--

951 to 1,000 of 1,216 << first < prev | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Doug's Troubles in Otari All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.