GM Doug's Troubles in Otari (Inactive)

Game Master Doug Hahn

Macros | Loot | Maps


1,001 to 1,050 of 1,216 << first < prev | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | next > last >>
Vigilant Seal

NG Hellspawn Tiefling Investigator/Talisman Dabbler | HP 38/38 | AC 19 | Class DC 20 | F: +7, R: +9, W: +11 | Perc: +11 | Speed 30ft | Ranged: Crossbow +6 1d6 Melee: Sword Cane +6 1d6 Active conditions: None

Lucius tries to use his knowledge of orcs to de-escalate the situation.

Society: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (4) + 12 = 16 Hmm... I’m not sure it’s worth burning a hero point yet.


SoT (Grad School Year 1, Sem. 1): Maps, Quests, Handouts, Macros Kobolds: Maps & Handouts | Macros KiT: Maps & Handouts | Macros

Attacks:
Havelin, Warcry, 2nd increment: 1d20 + 8 + 1 - 2 ⇒ (15) + 8 + 1 - 2 = 22
Piercing: 1d4 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

Orcish:
HAH! The dwarves scared! The hunted will become the hunters!

in common: You people think you can push us around? No more! We'll prove our worth to this Mwibah with your heads!

She screams a righteous battle cry as she removes a hand from her maul, draws a javelin, and takes a far lob at Lucius! It grazes his shoulder. The orcs cheer.

Have Diplomatic Relations Failed? The Barbarian is Up, So…

Dethor, Undetected
Lucius, -5 HP
Baux, shield raised
--
Leader, Warcry
Biltri, Guidanced
Orc 4, Warcry
Orc 3, Warcry
--
Nandipha
--
Orc 1, Warcry
Orc 2, Warcry
--


NG Male Forge Dwarf Cleric of Desna 4 | HP 50/50| AC 20 (22 w/ shield) | F +10 R +7 W +11 | Resist Fire 2 | | Hero Points 2| Divine Font: 2/2 | Wand Heal used: 0| Exploration: Scout Detect Magic | Conditions:

"They mighta bin in a recent scrape, but its clear they aint lookin' fer help -- least not from likes of us."


NG M Forge Dwarf Barbarian 4 | HP (81) 74/74 | AC <20> 21 (22) | F +11 R +7 W +9 | Perc +9 (darkvision) | Stealth +1 | 20 ft | Focus: 1/1 | Hero Point: 1/3 | Active Conditions: toughness, deny advantage (L4), resist fire 2

"I knew there was no point!" Biltri's eyes and weapon blaze as the orc leader throws a javelin at Lucius and draws first blood. He charges down the road and whips his red-hot steel fist toward the nearest orc (#4).

Rage, Sudden Charge (2)

+1 Meteor Hammer: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (2) + 11 = 13
Magic, B, +4 Fire Rage: 2d8 + 4 + 4 ⇒ (1, 7) + 4 + 4 = 16


SoT (Grad School Year 1, Sem. 1): Maps, Quests, Handouts, Macros Kobolds: Maps & Handouts | Macros KiT: Maps & Handouts | Macros

Attacks:
Battleaxe, Flank, battle Cry: 1d20 + 7 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 7 + 1 = 24
Slashing: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

Battleaxe, Flank, battle Cry, Strike 1: 1d20 + 7 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 7 + 1 = 19
Slashing: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

Battleaxe, Flank, battle Cry, Strike 2: 1d20 + 7 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 7 + 1 = 15

The orcs work together to Flank the barbarian, hitting twice! 19 FF hits I think. One went in and readied, the other moved and struck at Biltri twice.

Have Diplomatic Relations Failed?

Dethor, Undetected
Lucius, -5 HP
Baux, shield raised
--
Leader, Warcry
--
Biltri, -12 HP
Orc 4, Warcry
Orc 3, Warcry
--
Nandipha
--
Orc 1, Warcry
Orc 2, Warcry
--

Grand Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
LN Male (he/his) death warden dwarf rogue [thief] 3 | HP 30/37 | AC 21| Fort +6; Ref +11; Will +8 | Perc: +8(E) (+9 to find traps) (Darkvision) | Speed 20ft| Hero Points 0/3 |Exploration Mode: Avoid Notice | Active conditions: Deny Advantage,

"DAMN YOU ELFIE!!!!!" grumbles the rogue. "I knew that no good could come from this."

Vigilant Seal

2 people marked this as a favorite.
NG Hellspawn Tiefling Investigator/Talisman Dabbler | HP 38/38 | AC 19 | Class DC 20 | F: +7, R: +9, W: +11 | Perc: +11 | Speed 30ft | Ranged: Crossbow +6 1d6 Melee: Sword Cane +6 1d6 Active conditions: None

”Its not my fault these orcs are uncivilized heathens who only know how to fight. I tried to give them a chance. Oh, me and my wishful thinking. But I’ve heard such orcs exist somewhere.”


SoT (Grad School Year 1, Sem. 1): Maps, Quests, Handouts, Macros Kobolds: Maps & Handouts | Macros KiT: Maps & Handouts | Macros

It's not RAW but you can still make a diplomacy, intimidate, society check… or something else you deem appropriate. You just need to roll better than a 16!


NG Male Forge Dwarf Cleric of Desna 4 | HP 50/50| AC 20 (22 w/ shield) | F +10 R +7 W +11 | Resist Fire 2 | | Hero Points 2| Divine Font: 2/2 | Wand Heal used: 0| Exploration: Scout Detect Magic | Conditions:

I presume that would take one of our actions.


SoT (Grad School Year 1, Sem. 1): Maps, Quests, Handouts, Macros Kobolds: Maps & Handouts | Macros KiT: Maps & Handouts | Macros

Nandipha delays. The other orcs carefully move in, but seem hesitant to strike because you seem so as well.

Have Diplomatic Relations Failed?

Dethor, Undetected
Lucius, -18 HP
Baux, shield raised
Nandipha

--
Leader, Warcry
Biltri, Guidanced
Orc 4, Warcry
Orc 3, Warcry
Orc 1, Warcry
Orc 2, Warcry


2 people marked this as a favorite.
NG Male Forge Dwarf Cleric of Desna 4 | HP 50/50| AC 20 (22 w/ shield) | F +10 R +7 W +11 | Resist Fire 2 | | Hero Points 2| Divine Font: 2/2 | Wand Heal used: 0| Exploration: Scout Detect Magic | Conditions:

Baux looks towards the leader. "Don't seem ya need help. We lookin' ta kill Lamashtu cultists, not you."

"Kin we come ta some sorta agreement ta not fight each other taday? Would rather find ma glory in battle wit that cult. They the ones endangerin' travelers!" As he says this, he waves his shield emblazoned with a symbol of Desna.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22


SoT (Grad School Year 1, Sem. 1): Maps, Quests, Handouts, Macros Kobolds: Maps & Handouts | Macros KiT: Maps & Handouts | Macros

The other orcs look confused; they might not know common. But the warleader is more worldly.

You haven't come to kill us? She holds up a hand for her companions to fall back.

We are refugees who lost our home to the Whispering Tyrant. Our tribe moved South, offering strength to any who might be threatened. Instead of gratitude, we have been hounded, hunted, and killed. Out of our whole tribe, we are the only five left. More of our friends and family lay died on the road South, killed by 'civilized people,' than in the Gravelands.

She sounds very angry. They haven't dropped their weapons, but the situation has cooled from immediate bloodshed. Out of combat for now!

How do we know this isn't some trap?


2 people marked this as a favorite.
NG Male Forge Dwarf Cleric of Desna 4 | HP 50/50| AC 20 (22 w/ shield) | F +10 R +7 W +11 | Resist Fire 2 | | Hero Points 2| Divine Font: 2/2 | Wand Heal used: 0| Exploration: Scout Detect Magic | Conditions:

Baux looks to Biltri and says “Stand down a moment…

He puts his own warhammer away for the moment.

Sorry ya came all this way jes ta be treated like that. It not right.

Looking to the leader, he gestures to the symbol on his shield and says “Desna is all about helping travelers, not trapping’ them! If’n yer really lookin’ fer folks that want protectin’ and don’t care what color yer skin is, would be glad ta help wi’ that!

I wonder if the logging camp would like them as guards…

Right now we on mission ta help some followers of Sarenrae that was lookin’ fer a cult of Lamashtu. Got no reason ta lie about that.

Not sure where ya learned the human tongue, but hope ye learned a bit about other gods as well. At least enough ta know some about either Sarenrae or Desna.

Vigilant Seal

NG Hellspawn Tiefling Investigator/Talisman Dabbler | HP 38/38 | AC 19 | Class DC 20 | F: +7, R: +9, W: +11 | Perc: +11 | Speed 30ft | Ranged: Crossbow +6 1d6 Melee: Sword Cane +6 1d6 Active conditions: None

”Well said Baux, aside from that part at the end where you expressed your dismay over her ability to speak common.

Lucius gives the orcs a toothy smile and keeps his hands up.


NG Male Forge Dwarf Cleric of Desna 4 | HP 50/50| AC 20 (22 w/ shield) | F +10 R +7 W +11 | Resist Fire 2 | | Hero Points 2| Divine Font: 2/2 | Wand Heal used: 0| Exploration: Scout Detect Magic | Conditions:

Puzzled, Baux looks at Lucius then back at the orc leader. "Dinna mean it like that."

In a conciliatory tone he explains "Meant that I got no idea how much ya know bout such things. Yer speaking the language wit' less of an accent than me."

Wouldn't insult someone like that, especially when I don't know Orcish.


NG M Forge Dwarf Barbarian 4 | HP (81) 74/74 | AC <20> 21 (22) | F +11 R +7 W +9 | Perc +9 (darkvision) | Stealth +1 | 20 ft | Focus: 1/1 | Hero Point: 1/3 | Active Conditions: toughness, deny advantage (L4), resist fire 2

"How do we know this isn't a trap!?" Biltri complains back at the orc leader.


SoT (Grad School Year 1, Sem. 1): Maps, Quests, Handouts, Macros Kobolds: Maps & Handouts | Macros KiT: Maps & Handouts | Macros

We're here FOR the cult! No one else will take us in, so maybe they will. We don't like it, but it's better than being killed.

Can you even help us? Are you local influencers or politicians or something? We'd be happy to work for our pay, but we don't want people attacking us for no reason.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
NG M Forge Dwarf Barbarian 4 | HP (81) 74/74 | AC <20> 21 (22) | F +11 R +7 W +9 | Perc +9 (darkvision) | Stealth +1 | 20 ft | Focus: 1/1 | Hero Point: 1/3 | Active Conditions: toughness, deny advantage (L4), resist fire 2

"Can you fish?" Biltri grumbles as battle seems less and less likely.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
NG Male Forge Dwarf Cleric of Desna 4 | HP 50/50| AC 20 (22 w/ shield) | F +10 R +7 W +11 | Resist Fire 2 | | Hero Points 2| Divine Font: 2/2 | Wand Heal used: 0| Exploration: Scout Detect Magic | Conditions:

We bin workin’ fer few different people that are influential round here. Fishery, courier service, lumber camp and now a different church than mine. Got paid fer the fightin’ we did.

Shaking his head, he says “Got ta say, workin’ fer the cult not gonna make you friends wit’ the other folks around here.

Don’t know yet If’n I can git ya work. Would be willin’ ta’ give it a try, especially since that likely the best way ta’ keep the roads safe.

Guess it is time fer ya ta make a decision fer you and those you lead.” He gestures to the other orcs.

Do ya want ta be workin’ fer bunch of people that terrorize others, or would ya rather git paid ta’ protect people?

If’n it is protect others, we got things ta talk about.

Patting the handle of his warhammer but not drawing it back out, he adds “If’n ye want ta terrorize people like The Whispering Tyrant did ta yer tribe, guess we dun talkin’ here.

I don’t think ya will find either path easy. Not the type ta’ make empty promises.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
SoT (Grad School Year 1, Sem. 1): Maps, Quests, Handouts, Macros Kobolds: Maps & Handouts | Macros KiT: Maps & Handouts | Macros

I am ok without a check here, Baux is doing a great job in-scene. We will need one later to see where they end up; for example, convincing the logging company to hire them as guards will take a check.

Interesting. Perhaps you can help us find a way into your community. We will wait here while you eradicate this cult, and return to Otari with you.

She pauses. And if you fail to return, we still have the original option, distasteful as it is…

The orcs begin setting up camp. they will fill you in on more details if you care to listen. You have four days to return.

As she said, they traveled to southern Avistan, offering their strength to any who might be similarly threatened. Instead of grateful acceptance, the warband found themselves constantly turned away by the fearful and prejudiced. Matters grew worse when they reached the fort at the city of Escadar on the Isle of Erran and were attacked by the soldiers there. The orcs lost even more kin and had to retreat into the wilderness of the Isle of Kortos.

Here they heard rumors of one Mwibah’s growing community of monsters and outcasts. However, they only got partial information on the Scar’s whereabouts, so the warband was scouring the area when you came across them.

--

Baux and Lucius would know that Lamashtu cults will often take advantage of social outcasts, tricking them into performing heinous acts and becoming totally evil over time.


Female Ganzi Dwarf Amateur Hireling | +5 Skills

Nandipha steps forward. "If you don't mind hard work, we could even employ you for some of it. There always be a need for good workers, and this town does not mind those who look a bit strange." She wags her tail and then points to Lucius. "Even if they have a tail, or be a scary elf."

Vigilant Seal

NG Hellspawn Tiefling Investigator/Talisman Dabbler | HP 38/38 | AC 19 | Class DC 20 | F: +7, R: +9, W: +11 | Perc: +11 | Speed 30ft | Ranged: Crossbow +6 1d6 Melee: Sword Cane +6 1d6 Active conditions: None

Lucius grins.

"Oh, they love a good scary elf in this town. Do any of you have experience entertaining ghosts? I'm asking for a friend. Who is also a ghost."


NG M Forge Dwarf Barbarian 4 | HP (81) 74/74 | AC <20> 21 (22) | F +11 R +7 W +9 | Perc +9 (darkvision) | Stealth +1 | 20 ft | Focus: 1/1 | Hero Point: 1/3 | Active Conditions: toughness, deny advantage (L4), resist fire 2

"Not for the friend who is terrible at entertaining the ghost," he mutters.


SoT (Grad School Year 1, Sem. 1): Maps, Quests, Handouts, Macros Kobolds: Maps & Handouts | Macros KiT: Maps & Handouts | Macros

GM screen:
Baux's Religion (E): 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (19) + 11 = 30
Biltri's Religion (T): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8
Dethor's Religion (U): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16
Lucius Caligari's Religion (T): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11

Baux's Perception (T): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24
Biltri's Perception (E): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11
Dethor's Perception (E): 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (2) + 11 = 13
Lucius Caligari's Perception (E): 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (14) + 11 = 25
Nandipha's Perception (E): 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (18) + 11 = 29

HA! The orc warchief laughs. She seems relieved and grateful.

In orcish: They're kidding about the ghost, right? Her friend shrugs.

--

As the orcs make camp, you move past the suspiciously smaller ridge. Something doesn;t feel quite right here.

Baux, Lucius, and Nandipha notice that the white leaves on the poplars glint like blades of steel. The reeds growing in a nearby pond quiver like hair follicles; exposed bits of clay on the ridge bulge like distended flesh, and quiver as if breathing. There is a subtle magical aura just ahead, stretching across the land. It's some kind of ritual — you may be able to disable it — at least temporarily — with expertise in arcana, nature, religion, occultism.

Baux and Dethor remember something from Thida's journal. “Only those blessed with three-eyed sight can pass safely.”

They also remember that Lamashtu and her religious symbol are both depicted as having three eyes.

Please tell me how you proceed.


NG Male Forge Dwarf Cleric of Desna 4 | HP 50/50| AC 20 (22 w/ shield) | F +10 R +7 W +11 | Resist Fire 2 | | Hero Points 2| Divine Font: 2/2 | Wand Heal used: 0| Exploration: Scout Detect Magic | Conditions:

Wonder If’n we can do it like that kid’s game, three legged race.” Baux muses. “Have pair of people with one puttin’ patch over one eye?

Could also be simpler, jes draw an eye in the middle of the forehead wit’ charcoal or somethin’…

Looking to the rest of the group, he asks “Got any ideas that sound betta? I jes guessin’ here.


NG M Forge Dwarf Barbarian 4 | HP (81) 74/74 | AC <20> 21 (22) | F +11 R +7 W +9 | Perc +9 (darkvision) | Stealth +1 | 20 ft | Focus: 1/1 | Hero Point: 1/3 | Active Conditions: toughness, deny advantage (L4), resist fire 2

"I don't know," Biltri says. "Drawing a third eye seems simplest."


Female Ganzi Dwarf Amateur Hireling | +5 Skills

"Then let's try it," Nandipha says. She takes a bit of red clay, and puts a red eye shaped dot on her forehead to see if it makes any difference.

Vigilant Seal

NG Hellspawn Tiefling Investigator/Talisman Dabbler | HP 38/38 | AC 19 | Class DC 20 | F: +7, R: +9, W: +11 | Perc: +11 | Speed 30ft | Ranged: Crossbow +6 1d6 Melee: Sword Cane +6 1d6 Active conditions: None

Lucius considers Baux's ideas. He even holds his eye-shaped pendant up to his forehead, just to try it out.

"Those are all very clever, but probably too literal. Can anyone detect for magic? Perhaps that can help us see through the illusions.

Lucius is an expert in occultism, +12, if that helps in some way.


NG Male Forge Dwarf Cleric of Desna 4 | HP 50/50| AC 20 (22 w/ shield) | F +10 R +7 W +11 | Resist Fire 2 | | Hero Points 2| Divine Font: 2/2 | Wand Heal used: 0| Exploration: Scout Detect Magic | Conditions:

Ah cin.

Baux then concentrates, attempting to detect any magic outside of the items he is already aware of.

Guess we change exploration to Detecting Magic w/ Religion for a short time.


SoT (Grad School Year 1, Sem. 1): Maps, Quests, Handouts, Macros Kobolds: Maps & Handouts | Macros KiT: Maps & Handouts | Macros

GM screen:
I don't know what a sub-level 3 detect magic would tell you other than there's magic here, but you can use the power of logic.

You detect for magic here. You don't know the school from detect magic, but you know there is magic here indeed — blanketing the landscape. Lucius's knowledge of the ridgeline, coupled with what you see, leads you to suspect this is a powerful ritual using, at least in part, illusion.

Lucius knows that occult magics often attack one's mind. This illusory nightmare is probably much more dangerous than mere figments. You cannot merely disbelieve it, it will actively hurt you if you move further without disabling the ritual or some sort of protection to bypass the trap.


Female Ganzi Dwarf Amateur Hireling | +5 Skills

Do we have any idea how disable the ritual?

"This be not natural. Perhaps we can remind this land what it should be?"

Nandipha tries to figure out how to disable this twisted landscape:

Occultism: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19
Nature: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (12) + 10 = 22

Vigilant Seal

NG Hellspawn Tiefling Investigator/Talisman Dabbler | HP 38/38 | AC 19 | Class DC 20 | F: +7, R: +9, W: +11 | Perc: +11 | Speed 30ft | Ranged: Crossbow +6 1d6 Melee: Sword Cane +6 1d6 Active conditions: None

Lucius also tries to figure out a way to disrupt the ritual and disable the illusion.

Occultism: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (7) + 12 = 19


SoT (Grad School Year 1, Sem. 1): Maps, Quests, Handouts, Macros Kobolds: Maps & Handouts | Macros KiT: Maps & Handouts | Macros
Nandipha wrote:
Do we have any idea how disable the ritual?

Noted above: “ you may be able to disable it — at least temporarily — with expertise in arcana, nature, religion, occultism.”

Lucius fails to disable the ritual. He feels that even if he succeeded he would need several successes.


NG Male Forge Dwarf Cleric of Desna 4 | HP 50/50| AC 20 (22 w/ shield) | F +10 R +7 W +11 | Resist Fire 2 | | Hero Points 2| Divine Font: 2/2 | Wand Heal used: 0| Exploration: Scout Detect Magic | Conditions:

So it looks like Nandipha attempted those checks, just inside a spoiler.

Baux considers what he knows of Lamashtu and the powers her followers often wield.

Religion E: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (8) + 11 = 19

Grand Archive

LN Male (he/his) death warden dwarf rogue [thief] 3 | HP 30/37 | AC 21| Fort +6; Ref +11; Will +8 | Perc: +8(E) (+9 to find traps) (Darkvision) | Speed 20ft| Hero Points 0/3 |Exploration Mode: Avoid Notice | Active conditions: Deny Advantage,

"Ach!" Dethor exclaims. "If'n only it twer a simple trap. Thems that make sense. Not dis magicked stuff."

He remembers back to his days at Tar Kuata, and tries to help undo the dangerous ritual.
Religion: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22


NG M Forge Dwarf Barbarian 4 | HP (81) 74/74 | AC <20> 21 (22) | F +11 R +7 W +9 | Perc +9 (darkvision) | Stealth +1 | 20 ft | Focus: 1/1 | Hero Point: 1/3 | Active Conditions: toughness, deny advantage (L4), resist fire 2

"Just get in your way," Biltri mumbles.


SoT (Grad School Year 1, Sem. 1): Maps, Quests, Handouts, Macros Kobolds: Maps & Handouts | Macros KiT: Maps & Handouts | Macros

Apologies. You need to be Expert at minimum to even attempt the check. I meant “expertise” rather literally. That was very poor clarity from your GM.

So, as far as I can tell only Baux and Lucius have the ability to even attempt these checks. You need 3 successes at a dc in the low 20s to interrupt the ritual for 10 minutes.

Of course, you can also try the other suggestions too.

Nandipha and Dethor try to unravel the ritual, but it is completely beyond their understanding. Baux attempts it, but doesn’t make progress.

Vigilant Seal

NG Hellspawn Tiefling Investigator/Talisman Dabbler | HP 38/38 | AC 19 | Class DC 20 | F: +7, R: +9, W: +11 | Perc: +11 | Speed 30ft | Ranged: Crossbow +6 1d6 Melee: Sword Cane +6 1d6 Active conditions: None

Lucius continues to try disrupting the ritual.

Occultism (E): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (14) + 12 = 26
Occultism (E): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (13) + 12 = 25
Occultism (E): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (7) + 12 = 19
Occultism (E): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (2) + 12 = 14
Occultism (E): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (18) + 12 = 30

I think that's three successes.


SoT (Grad School Year 1, Sem. 1): Maps, Quests, Handouts, Macros Kobolds: Maps & Handouts | Macros KiT: Maps & Handouts | Macros

GM screen:
Baux’s Perception (T): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (1) + 10 = 11
Biltri’s Perception (E): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25
Dethor’s Perception (E): 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (18) + 11 = 29
Lucius Caligari’s Perception (E): 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (13) + 11 = 24
Nandipha’s Perception (E): 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (15) + 11 = 26

The lines of magic fade, though the landscape still pulses like it's part of the abyss. It's at least safe to travel through for the moment… if disturbing.

You make it through the nightmare terrain illusion, and find yourselves standing at the bottom of a 40-foot tall ridge that stretches several hundred feet in either direction. With the open hinterlands at your back, you seemingly have no way to move forward.

Several of you find an artificial curtain of moss that obscures the faint outline of a large door.

Dethor and Nandipha notice poorly obscured monstrous footprints that lead toward the stone wall. Some are large-sized, and some are small-sized. Most are of bipeds.

The stone door has no obvious handle or another method of opening it. However, there’s a panel composed of a five-by-five grid of raised squares set into the wall beside the door. Art on Slide 1

Each square looks like it can be pushed. There are words carved below this puzzle lock in a language none of you know.

❧ ❧ ❧

This is a puzzle. You can place a white circle on each square that you think should be pushed. You can copy the circle as many times as you think necessary.


NG Male Forge Dwarf Cleric of Desna 4 | HP 50/50| AC 20 (22 w/ shield) | F +10 R +7 W +11 | Resist Fire 2 | | Hero Points 2| Divine Font: 2/2 | Wand Heal used: 0| Exploration: Scout Detect Magic | Conditions:

Think this puzzle might be related ta those beast laws?

The squares look like pens to me. I suspect the key is those laws, but have no time to verify it — too busy at the moment.


2 people marked this as a favorite.
NG M Forge Dwarf Barbarian 4 | HP (81) 74/74 | AC <20> 21 (22) | F +11 R +7 W +9 | Perc +9 (darkvision) | Stealth +1 | 20 ft | Focus: 1/1 | Hero Point: 1/3 | Active Conditions: toughness, deny advantage (L4), resist fire 2

"I think I've got this," Biltri says. "Makes more sense when there's something in front of you."

He pushes five of the squares confidently.

(Hopefully, that confidence isn't misplaced.)


SoT (Grad School Year 1, Sem. 1): Maps, Quests, Handouts, Macros Kobolds: Maps & Handouts | Macros KiT: Maps & Handouts | Macros

Biltri remembers the journal's clues:

Thida's journal wrote:

• Only one Beast shall be placed in each Pen.

• No Beast wishes to see another Beast by looking directly North or directly East.
• Two Beasts shall not be in pens that touch, lest they come to blows.

These do indeed look like pens. He pushes a series of buttons and the door slowly grinds open.

Nicely done!

❧ ❧ ❧

Nandipha makes a mental note that the base of the ridge has plenty of space to set up a campsite, should you need to come and go from this dungeon.

A dark hallway stretches before you. It's time to enter the cultists' lair…


Female Ganzi Dwarf Amateur Hireling | +5 Skills

Nandipha points and gives a thumbs up, indicating her readiness to go with the team.

Vigilant Seal

NG Hellspawn Tiefling Investigator/Talisman Dabbler | HP 38/38 | AC 19 | Class DC 20 | F: +7, R: +9, W: +11 | Perc: +11 | Speed 30ft | Ranged: Crossbow +6 1d6 Melee: Sword Cane +6 1d6 Active conditions: None

Lucius watches over Biltri's shoulder, nodding along as though he actually has any idea how to solve the puzzle.


SoT (Grad School Year 1, Sem. 1): Maps, Quests, Handouts, Macros Kobolds: Maps & Handouts | Macros KiT: Maps & Handouts | Macros

GM screen:
Dethor's Nature (U): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
Lucius Caligari's Nature (T): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10
Nandipha's Nature (T): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16

Biltri's Perception (E): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14
Dethor's Perception (E): 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (5) + 11 = 16

You go through the doors. A long corridor descends slightly.

Lucius thinks he notices something odd about the stonework on the walls. You stop for a moment to investigate. However, you cannot find anything so you move in. Perhaps a false alarm.

Maps updated on Slide 1 and 2; the entrance tunnel does not seem to be scale, based on the textual description this entrance hall is longer than 30 feet; more like 100 feet.

❧ ❧ ❧

You move along the corridor until it reaches a four-way intersection. Each branching hallway has a single lit torch in a sconce that casts flickering light. A rusted metal gate blocks the end of the left passage.

Lucius notices something odd about the ceiling up ahead.

Vigilant Seal

NG Hellspawn Tiefling Investigator/Talisman Dabbler | HP 38/38 | AC 19 | Class DC 20 | F: +7, R: +9, W: +11 | Perc: +11 | Speed 30ft | Ranged: Crossbow +6 1d6 Melee: Sword Cane +6 1d6 Active conditions: None

Lucius tries to seek out exactly what might be odd about the ceiling.

Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (9) + 11 = 20


NG Male Forge Dwarf Cleric of Desna 4 | HP 50/50| AC 20 (22 w/ shield) | F +10 R +7 W +11 | Resist Fire 2 | | Hero Points 2| Divine Font: 2/2 | Wand Heal used: 0| Exploration: Scout Detect Magic | Conditions:

Seeing Lucius pause to carefully inspect the ceiling, Baux asks "Somethin' wrong?"

He trys to figure out what Lucius is searching for.
Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15


SoT (Grad School Year 1, Sem. 1): Maps, Quests, Handouts, Macros Kobolds: Maps & Handouts | Macros KiT: Maps & Handouts | Macros

Neither of you notices anything. Another false alarm? Surely everything in this dungeon is perfectly fine.

The rest of you can make perception checks if you want. I can bot them a bit later if needed too, to keep up moving!

Grand Archive

LN Male (he/his) death warden dwarf rogue [thief] 3 | HP 30/37 | AC 21| Fort +6; Ref +11; Will +8 | Perc: +8(E) (+9 to find traps) (Darkvision) | Speed 20ft| Hero Points 0/3 |Exploration Mode: Avoid Notice | Active conditions: Deny Advantage,

perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28 Additional +1 for traps

"Ah. Underground. Feels more right."


SoT (Grad School Year 1, Sem. 1): Maps, Quests, Handouts, Macros Kobolds: Maps & Handouts | Macros KiT: Maps & Handouts | Macros

Spoiler:
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11

Dethor missed the trap but now that he has another look, he sees several nozzles hidden in the ceiling of the intersection, pointed downwards. It looks like it would fill the area with flame. He also notices pressure plates.

Unfortunately, he cannot disable the trap from here. He can try to disarm a nozzle in the ceiling (10 feet up), or there might be a control plate somewhere.

You hear feet moving to the left of the intersection; sounds like someone (or several somethings) are hiding just around the corner, but not doing a very good job.

Pressure plates marked on map; the nozzles are in the intersection above. You can jump over the plates as an action automatically.

1,001 to 1,050 of 1,216 << first < prev | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / GM Doug's Troubles in Otari All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.