Ærde: Lost and Found in the City of Wonders

Game Master Jibril Johan Sameh

On the north western edge of Al Aimtidad, the anvil desert, sits the jewel of the world, the city of Zhayalammar. It is the ancient city of invention, horror, passion, and sorcery.

The Narrative * City Map * Roll20 * Character Status * Lands Around Zhayalahmar * Known Power Groups * Gossamer House * Current Map * The Scoreboard


3,401 to 3,450 of 3,791 << first < prev | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | next > last >>

Human Draconic Sorcerer/3 | HP 20/20 | Init +2 | AC14/F12/T13 | Mage armor AC18 | F+2 R+3 W+3 | Perc +4 SM +0 | Active Conditions: Mage Armor | Spells per day: 1st 2/6 | Claws: 6/7rounds | SMB 7; SMD 17

Zahra felt a surge of panic and adrenaline as Cairee disappeared into the creature.

She echoed Dounia's cry of dismay and as the two other Blackbirds attempted to pull the cleric to safety, Zahra threw more devastating magic at the living carpet.

Afraid that using cold against the creature would also hurt Cairee, Zahra sent two more silvery darts flying towards the creature. One flew around Tymythy and one dodged Dounia as they found their target.

Casting Magic Missile

damage: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
damage: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

Zahra only has 1 more spell and then she's tapped for the day or most useful spells. She'll soon have to resort to Ray of Frosting it


male (he/him)

Zahra's missiles blew two new holes in the creature. As she incanted the spell the arm reached out towards her as if 'feeling' for her, but didn't have much more than a five foot reach.

Seriously to critically wounded


Human Ranger 2 / Fighter 1 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMD: 16 | F: +7 R: +5 W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7 SM: +1 | SMB: +3, SMD: 14

Is there room in the doorway to get in an attack? With Caire being dragged, Dounia helping her, Zahra getting LOS to cast, is Tymyhty poking at the beastie with a spear even an option?


male (he/him)
Tymythy-son-of-Stywyrt wrote:
Is there room in the doorway to get in an attack? With Caire being dragged, Dounia helping her, Zahra getting LOS to cast, is Tymyhty poking at the beastie with a spear even an option?

Yes, Zahra has been casting magic missile so as long as she can see a bit of the creature she can hit it. I'm assuming she's behind Dounia. Tymythy can be beside and strike around the door with a 30% miss chance.


Human Ranger 2 / Fighter 1 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMD: 16 | F: +7 R: +5 W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7 SM: +1 | SMB: +3, SMD: 14

Right, then. Dunno if this hits, but I hope a monster of this kind isn’t exactly made of AC…

Usriev vs Living quicksand: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15
Miss chance: 1d100 ⇒ 94 Passes... assuming I am aiming for a high roll - can't remember ;^)
Damage: 1d10 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8

Somewhat late to the party, Tymythy finally got back to his feet and his spear in his hand, and rushed to the doorway, taking advantage of the reach of his long-hafted weapon to poke at the strange shapeless foe. The spear bit deep, cutting through both the clinging sand and something more… tangible mixed in with it, and he did his best to saw at the mass hidden by sand with the usriev’s wavy blade, but it was difficult to tell how much, if any, actual damage he was doing.


male (he/him)

Tymythy - I usually go bottom 30% (a roll of 1,2, or 3 on a D10 for example) so perfect! Also, its' huge and it can't move, but it has natural armour 4, so - AC8

Common everyone! This thing is on its' last legs! You can do it!


Human Ranger 2 / Fighter 1 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMD: 16 | F: +7 R: +5 W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7 SM: +1 | SMB: +3, SMD: 14

Go on, Cairee, bite it back!


In a moment of what can only be described as absolute numb-skullery, in a labyrinth of traps devised by a madman, Cairee had tried to talk to a moldy carpet. Moments later she found herself in a clammy, silent, airless blackness. You fool! she shouted in her mind as she struggled to break free. She tried to wiggle her arms up her body, hoping if she could get some fingers above her head, perhaps her friends could pull her free. But the carpet squeezed her tight, pinned her hands to her chest.

Please don't let this be reflected in the lake, she silently pleaded, imagining how stupid she'd just made her entire team look.

Escape Artist: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (7) + 0 = 7


HP 24/24 | AC 16/14/12 | F+3/R+6/W+2 | CMB +1, CMD 15 | Acro 10, climb 5, DD 13, EA 10, Init 6, Perc 7, SoH 8, SM 1, Stealth 10, Surv 8

The spear didn't come out of Tymythy's iron grip, leaving her looking like a fool. She knew she was risking being caught too, but the carpet already had a bunch of holes in it. Maybe her daggers would do just enough damage to finish it off so Cairee could get out.

A dagger in each hand, she stabs twice at the mold monster.

dagger1: 1d20 + 6 - 2 ⇒ (1) + 6 - 2 = 5
dagger2: 1d20 + 6 - 2 ⇒ (8) + 6 - 2 = 12
damage: 1d4 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8

Who just rearead her characters sheet and remembered that she'd taken TWF?


male (he/him)

Cairee fought for the surface from underneath the sheet of fungus.

Zahra blasted away with her magic.

Tymythy slashed with his blessed spear.

Dounia hit the surface of the creature only to watch it flex under her dagger point. Then she stabbed with her second blade, cutting a long incision.

The fibrous cover to the quicksand separated and went still.
Cairee's swim: 1d20 ⇒ 17
Cairee could feel her buoyancy, and calmness overbore panic. The other Blackbirds watched as her head emerged and they pulled her back into the room and to freedom.

The hall was ten feet wide. The pit was six and centred in the hallway. There were four metal sconces holding two inch diameter candles. At the far end, twenty feet away wasa metal door left slightly ajar.

We'll call the paintings healed but it will add 15mins to your time.


HP 24/24 | AC 16/14/12 | F+3/R+6/W+2 | CMB +1, CMD 15 | Acro 10, climb 5, DD 13, EA 10, Init 6, Perc 7, SoH 8, SM 1, Stealth 10, Surv 8

Somewhat shocked that her attack worked, Dounia leaned back so Tymythy could haul Cairee out of the pit. She sheathed her daggers, then collected the two thrown ones from the floor. "So, are we gonna talk about what jut happened? Or wait for when we get out of this horrifying death trap."

Once she'd caught her breath, she stood up again and stared into the quicksand pit. "Should we see if there's anything in there? Might be a hidden objective. Or do we just go on?"

Stepping gingerly, she moved down the edge of the hallway, stopping under the first candle sconce to see if it contained any secrets.

perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21


male (he/him)

The edge of the hallway to one side of the pit provided a two foot path to walk and, although it was sloshed with mud from the pit, it was of little difficulty to negotiate. (Acrobatics - balance DC5 but everyone can 'take ten')

Dounia looked at the first sconce on the right side and it appeared to simply provide light, though the candle didn't run with wax nor seem to give off heat. The other three candles appeared identical.

If someone wants to search the pit please make a swim roll DC10 and then a perception roll (touch only). It will take 4rnds to search the 20/ length.


Human Ranger 2 / Fighter 1 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMD: 16 | F: +7 R: +5 W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7 SM: +1 | SMB: +3, SMD: 14

Well, if Tymythy and Zahra go back to the painting duty (as it still takes time even if we can skip the RP), I guess that leaves Dounia and Cairee to take a dip in the remains of the monster if you want, unless we devote even more time here.

Tymyhty helped Dounia drag Cairee free of the sand pit, before moving to the pit’s edge and used his usriev to check for its depth. ”Well… some of the other teams found items in their challenges, did they not? Item to help them, not just things like those tubes that might be part of some challenge to come. If so, that pit does seem like a place few people would think of looking,” he agree, then went back to help Zahra with the repair work on the paintings. ”I can take look once Zahra is done, if you want.”


Corey wrote:
The fibrous cover to the quicksand separated and went still. Cairee could feel her buoyancy, and calmness overbore panic. The other Blackbirds watched as her head emerged and they pulled her back into the room and to freedom.

Cairee fell to her knees, gasping and coughing. She was covered in a layer of mud and slime, her bright orange hair now a muted brown. Once she had caught her breath, she looked up at the others, offering an apologetic grimace.

"Well, that was dumb," was all she could think to say.

Dounia wrote:
"Should we see if there's anything in there? Might be a hidden objective. Or do we just go on?"

Cairee shuddered at the thought. But Tymythy and Zahra were back to work fixing the paintings. If Dounia was volunteering, then...

Corey says we have two ropes of 50 feet.

"If you're going in, we need to be able to pull you out. Here, you better." She took the second rope and held it out to Dounia to tie around her waist and fix somehow to the room, not trusting her own strength to hold onto the rope if something went wrong and Dounia was pulled away.

Then she murmured her prayer of aid over Dounia, asking Saiph to help guide her. She casts Guidance on Dounia. She held onto the rope, waiting to provide give as Dounia searched the pit.


Human Ranger 2 / Fighter 1 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMD: 16 | F: +7 R: +5 W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7 SM: +1 | SMB: +3, SMD: 14

Oh yeah. Rope. Let's reclaim the one leading up to the mirror. Since the piton isn't hammered into stone, can we wriggle it free by giving the rope some proper tugs?


male (he/him)

You rolled a nat20 to set the piton so a little worrying of the rope and it releases

Cairee destroyed the table when she fell from the full height of the room. The end of the rope was twelve feet off the ground. Zahra stood on Tymythy's shoulders and reached her full arm's length, but a few tugs released the ingenious placement of the spike.


male (he/him)

Tymythy searched for the bottom of the pit with his spear but he had to lay down and put his arm in to the shoulder as well. He found hard stone eight feet down.


HP 24/24 | AC 16/14/12 | F+3/R+6/W+2 | CMB +1, CMD 15 | Acro 10, climb 5, DD 13, EA 10, Init 6, Perc 7, SoH 8, SM 1, Stealth 10, Surv 8

Dounia took a handkerchief out of her pocket and helped Cairee mop the sludge off her face. Then she looked up to where Zahra was mending the portraits. "Well, the candles look like they're just candles, and we have a few more minutes to kill. I guess I'll take a look down there."

She unlaced her sandals, and tied another handkerchief tightly around her nose and mouth. Making sure she was tightly tied, she took a deep breath, and dove into the muck.

It wasn't like swimming in water at all, and was pitch black. She kicked as best she could, and felt along the bottom with her hands, trying to cover the entire "floor" of the pit. It was hard to swim in it, and she wasn't sure if she was even going straight ahead or not.

perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11
perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23
perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10
perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24
swim: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (11) - 1 = 10


Human Draconic Sorcerer/3 | HP 20/20 | Init +2 | AC14/F12/T13 | Mage armor AC18 | F+2 R+3 W+3 | Perc +4 SM +0 | Active Conditions: Mage Armor | Spells per day: 1st 2/6 | Claws: 6/7rounds | SMB 7; SMD 17

Zahra was beginning to feel drained but she soldiered on because they weren't done until they were back in the stadium.

After casting her last spell, she had no idea that she was holding her breath until the creature finally stopped moving and Cairee emerged. The sorceress sagged in relief when she saw that her friend was okay and then nodded quietly as Tymythy reminded her that the portraits weren't fully restored.

She focused her magical mending back on the few pieces that were still torn and tried not to think about what new challenge faced them at the end of the hallway.

Casting Mending again to finish fixing the portraits


male (he/him)

It was like swimming in oatmeal and it was thicker at the bottom. Dounia had to fight against her own buoyancy the entire time. The thick fluid was getting into every part of her clothes.

Six seconds.

Twelve seconds.

Eighteen.

Twenty-four.

Thirty.

Thirty six.

Cairee waited above feeling more and more rope get drawn in and no Dounia. Seconds felt like minutes. How long could she hold her breath down there.

It was on her second try going back and forth that Dounia gave a start. It felt like an eel had touched her foot! Then nothing. She felt for it carefully. A strap that felt like scales???

She came up for air and lifted the object out. As she moved out of the pit she looked up at Cairee. They were twins in mud suits joined together with a rope of mud. The object was a wide banded belt lined with links of chain. It had hangers for four small weapons. Also, a small pouch was tied to the belt. If there was anything else down there, she was sure she'd never find it.

Tymythy had reclaimed the rope. He and Zahra had repaired the paintings ... what next?


Human Ranger 2 / Fighter 1 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMD: 16 | F: +7 R: +5 W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7 SM: +1 | SMB: +3, SMD: 14

”Your instincts were right on the spot,” Tymythy marveled as Dounia emerged from the sandpit with plunder in her hands. Although the fact that Dounia was the one who had had to take a dip in the clinging soup of sand while he had kept his hands clean helping Zahra reach up to the paintings weighted a little on his mind. ”I assume you’ll want to take a moment to clean up?”

The next door was ajar, right? Dounia is the natural person to be first though it in case there are more traps or such surprises, but if she wants to take a moment to wash up / get Prestidigitationed clean, I suppose Tymyhty could take a peek, not touching the door but seeing what one may of the doom beyond.


male (he/him)

What Tymythy Saw

The floor had a slight downward angle. The entryway had an arched ceiling and was about ten feet wide and high. The space was twenty feet long and narrowed to an exit of just over two feet wide and four feet high. Beyond it was a larger room.

The downward angle of the floor ended in the larger room and a gap in the floor.

At the far end of the room another door could be seen.


Cairee didn't realize she was holding her breath until Dounia surfaced in the muddy pit. She helped pull the thief, treasure, and rope out, and then stood still as Zahra took a few moments to clean them off. "Thank you," she sighed, feeling lighter both physically and spiritually as the thick mud disappeared from her clothes and hair.

The belt Dounia had found - could it be from a previous adventurer? Perhaps someone not as lucky as Cairee had been?

Know Local: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24 Is there anything distinctive about it to suggest where it came from or what race of being would likely wear it?

There were no weapons attached, but the small pouch remained. "Ciga Mtcet Ed," she whispered, hand on her winged pendant.

If there is no magical aura, Cairee will open it.


male (he/him)

Sending you an e-mail Cairee

Cairee paused before attempting to open the bely pouch.


HP 24/24 | AC 16/14/12 | F+3/R+6/W+2 | CMB +1, CMD 15 | Acro 10, climb 5, DD 13, EA 10, Init 6, Perc 7, SoH 8, SM 1, Stealth 10, Surv 8

Dounia allowed herself to be dragged to the edge with the rope, and helped out. Shaking mud off her hands, she removed the handkerchief from around her face, revealing a cleanish patch of skin around her mouth and nose. Other than that, she was disgusting.

She waved Zahra off and said, "Ugh, it's disgusting, but I don't want to take the time. Maybe just clean this thing so we can see what it is?" She offered up the strange belt.

As Cairee examined the pouch, Dounia saw Tymythy make his way to the next door. "Tymythy, wait!" she cried. She needn't have worried, as the cautious warrior was only peeking to see what lay beyond.

Dounia used her spoiled hankerchief to wipe her feet cleanish, then retied her sandals. Hopping to her feet, she rejoined Tymythy at the door. "Hmm, slanted floor. Odd." Her eyes narrowed a bit as she tried to figure out what was happening. However, the sensation of mud oozing around in her underthings distracted her a bit.

perception for traps: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13


Know Arcana: Belt (DC 22): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7
Know Arcana: Pouch (DC 22): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15

The belt and bag each pulsed with magical auras, but Cairee couldn't quite discern what they were trying to tell her. Instead she focused on what their physical traits revealed. "I think this pouch could be latronite. This text on the drawstring is Valaduth. The belt is likely from the region of the great lake in Runmor."

She looked up, expecting to see her friends nodding in interest. But Tymythy and Dounia were already down the hall. She passed the items To Zahra to tuck away in her little bag. Best to inspect more closely once they were back in their private quarters.


Human Draconic Sorcerer/3 | HP 20/20 | Init +2 | AC14/F12/T13 | Mage armor AC18 | F+2 R+3 W+3 | Perc +4 SM +0 | Active Conditions: Mage Armor | Spells per day: 1st 2/6 | Claws: 6/7rounds | SMB 7; SMD 17

Zahra obliged Cairee and Dounia with cleaning, getting them to a manageable cleanliness but not removing every dirt speck.

She took the items from Cairee and tucked them in her bag before waiting for Dounia and Tymythy to give the all clear after inspecting the hallway.


HP 24/24 | AC 16/14/12 | F+3/R+6/W+2 | CMB +1, CMD 15 | Acro 10, climb 5, DD 13, EA 10, Init 6, Perc 7, SoH 8, SM 1, Stealth 10, Surv 8

"Valitudh?" Dounia asked, looking back over her shoulder. "Isn't that a pretty old language? Like elves, or something? Weird. Are they magicked?"


male (he/him)

GMs rolls:

pouch: 1d10 ⇒ 1 = convert to copper
pouch: 1d10 ⇒ 1 = 1cp

The strange belt had a thick cloth under-sash of smokey crimson. Over top and cunningly sewn to the cloth was a band of small ring chain that was about twelve links wide and covered the equator of the sash. The chain band ended in a leather tongue on one side and clasp on the other. Behind where the hips would be were four copper-ish studs from which hung a copper oval ring each. The oval rings were a good size to hold a small weapon sheath.

The pouch was small and appeared hand-sewn out of many materials. It was soft and from the outside one could tell there was one small coin inside.

-

Dounia gave the all-clear to the door threshold and the space beyond seemed unthreatening all the way to the small end of this little hall. The walls were bare and the space was lit by a dim ambient light that was brighter beyond the 2 1/2' by 4' exit.

It was clear the purpose of the hall was to force one person at a time to enter the open space that came next.

Dounia - your perception doesn't cover anything beyond this initial space.

In this next area, anyone doing any checks (especially perception) please note: generalized checks are ok but your chances of success increase the more specific you are. You can aid another person's roll but over checking someone else's search (two or more people trying to aid the same roll) will only create doubt (bonuses for aid will decease). You can have as many perception checks as you like as long as you are being original about what you're searching for.


Cairee took up the rear as the group filed into the hallway. It narrowed to a small door - clearly they would have to go through one at a time.

The cleric focused on the room beyond the door and asked Saiph to show her any magical auras. "Cig AmTce ted."

Her encounter with the carpet fresh on her mind, Cairee had a suggestion."Let's throw something through the door and see if something attacks."


Human Ranger 2 / Fighter 1 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMD: 16 | F: +7 R: +5 W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7 SM: +1 | SMB: +3, SMD: 14
Cairee Featherfriend wrote:
"I think this pouch could be latronite. This text on the drawstring is Valaduth. The belt is likely from the region of the great lake in Runmor."

Tymyhty perked up at that. ”Valaduth? The same people the lord who once held this spear was the last ruler of?” he asked, interested. ”A coincidence… or was that culture so important in these parts you are wont to run into their relics all over the place?” Well, it was not the mystery for this moment, as the next room beckoned and the sand in the glass was still falling.

Cairee Featherfriend wrote:
Her encounter with the carpet fresh on her mind, Cairee had a suggestion."Let's throw something through the door and see if something attacks."

”Certainly,” Tymythy agreed, and took a step back to give Cairee some room – with the sand pit taking so much space in the little corridor there was no reason for all of them to crowd the doorway. ”I wonder about that incline,” he wondered. ”Was it because of that sand-spirit? They are very slow to move, but they can inch their way forward… was the intention that, if the challenges managed to bypass the monster, it might slither after them and the slide down would help it along?”

Assuming Cairee’s item throw doesn’t provoke any reaction, Tymythy will volunteer to be the first through the door. Since Dounia didn’t find traps there is no reason to doubt her. Just open the door and take a step in, to see what’s what first.


male (he/him)

What I'm reading is, Tymythy moves into the room and Cairee moves into the room up to the small opening. The link below gives you what Cairee notices. I believe Tymythy is currently at 'A' on the marked map. Cairee is at B. The pit starts at 'C'. The door out is at E.

The Slant Floored Room


male (he/him)

Tymythy moved into the next room.

Nothing happened.

Cairee squeezed past the others and entered the room all the way to the small opening. Everyone could hear her mutter a familiar prayer.


Know Arcana: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12

Cairee could sense a magical aura covering the pit and extending about 10 feet beyond. But she couldn't tell what sort of magic it was. "Hand me a table piece," she said to Tymythy, holding her hand out to receive it. Being careful to stay in the hallway, she threw the splintered wood into the other room, aiming for the pit.


HP 24/24 | AC 16/14/12 | F+3/R+6/W+2 | CMB +1, CMD 15 | Acro 10, climb 5, DD 13, EA 10, Init 6, Perc 7, SoH 8, SM 1, Stealth 10, Surv 8

Dounia stared at the slant-floored room, trying to puzzle it out. "Why make this room as a funnel, to force us through one at a time? If the door from the quicksand room was small, that would also force us through singly. There has to be more to it."

Your brains aren't going to get you anywhere. Use your eyes. Use your hands. Cyra's voice chided her.

She brought Cairee a chair leg, but before she handed it to her, she said, "Wait, let me just check out this doorway." She looked over the doorway without stepping into the room with the pit. Finding nothing, she ran her fingers lightly over the edge, along the floor, trying to figure out what the trick was, how this was a trap. Was it going to tilt more, dropping them into the pit? Or was the trap magical, and she wasn't going to find anything?

perc: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17


male (he/him)

Cairee and Dounia - please give me a 1d20 roll


D20: 1d20 ⇒ 7


HP 24/24 | AC 16/14/12 | F+3/R+6/W+2 | CMB +1, CMD 15 | Acro 10, climb 5, DD 13, EA 10, Init 6, Perc 7, SoH 8, SM 1, Stealth 10, Surv 8

1d20 ⇒ 19


male (he/him)

Cairee and Dounia crouched in front of the small opening barely both able to see into the greater room. Dounia noted the cracks in the mortar that separated the floor tiles. Sorry, new information to Dounia.

Dounia inched back and Cairee took the forward spot. She threw the table leg and it whooped through the air end over end as if in slow motion.

BANG

The leg hit something and there was a great rattle then the leg clattered to the ground just near the edge of the gap. A smudge hung in midair where the table leg struck it. It sounded like a fair sized rock had struck a bay window.


Human Ranger 2 / Fighter 1 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMD: 16 | F: +7 R: +5 W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7 SM: +1 | SMB: +3, SMD: 14

Invisible wall to catch someone who jumps the gap? Simple and evil ;^)

Tymythy’s eyes widened as the thrown piece of wood was stopped cold by an invisible barrier – it was fortunate that Cairee made her test, for he would have been sorely tempted to just jump the relatively small gap. ”That’s another new one,” he muttered, considering their options. Either the barrier could be broken, or maneuvered out of the way somehow… or there were holes in it if one could only see them.

”There may be some mechanism to move the barrier out of the way… or perhaps it doesn’t cover the whole space. Let’s make use of all that sand – it should be good for sticking to walls, and unless the magic that makes the wall invisible extends to whatever touches the wall,” and the table leg hadn’t blinked out of visibility when it touched the barrier, ”it should mark holes in the wall for us. One thing I don’t like is the floor sloping down to the pit… could there be a trap here that tips the whole thing down if too much weight gets too close to the edge? I think it would be prudent to stay in the corridor or the sand pit room, with only one of us by the pit at a time, secured with a rope around their waist for safety.”

Hmm… how about this: use Tymythy’s fancy brat (half-cloak) to scoop up some sand from the pit, then fling it across the gap, and see if there is a hole through it? Unless the wall is very low friction, the sticky sand could cling to it for long enough to see.


male (he/him)

Cairee - when you cast 'Detect Magic' the barrier didn't read any auras

Tymythy brought a load of sand to Cairee and Dounia and they two took it in turns to throw handfulls of muck and sand at the 'barrier'.

The sand did stick, even the smaller particles so that soon the barrier was dappled with clumps and grains. Rivulets of water ran down the vertical surface. A picture took shape. The barrier was two feet off the ground and five feet high. The edges could now be seen as spider-web thick lines. It went from wall to wall and, the way it moved under the larger clumps, wasn't too thick. There was already a mark where the table leg struck it.

It seemed like a highly polished sheet of utlra-clear glass. A marvel of engineering.


male (he/him)
Tymythy-son-of-Stywyrt wrote:
Invisible wall to catch someone who jumps the gap? Simple and evil ;^)

I'm very gratified you appreciate it >:)


Human Ranger 2 / Fighter 1 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMD: 16 | F: +7 R: +5 W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7 SM: +1 | SMB: +3, SMD: 14

Was going to write up the thing if no-one objected to the idea, but since you went ahead with it I certainly won’t complain.

”So, not a hole there to jump through,” Tymythy murmured as the foursome watched the sand slide and slip down the elegant structure, rendered momentarily visible to their eyes. ”So… either there is a way to move it aside, some hidden mechanism, or we are supposed to break it. Or…” the hunter frowned, unused to this kind of fantastical lateral thinking, but went back to fetch another helping of the sand to throw over the wall, rather than at it.

Just how wide was the gap on the floor? If the smaller doorway was 4’ high, I’d estimate from the picture it’s about… 20’? And the invisible wall was on this side of it? I jumped to the conclusion it stood in the middle of it, but if the thrown table leg dropped on the ground near the edge, rather than plummet down… Let’s throw some sand up on top of the wall while we are at it, to see if it’s a thin obstacle or if it extends further towards the far end, and might suggest we could climb up and walk on top of it?


male (he/him)

The glass is wall to wall with a 2' gap under the glass. The top of the glass is 8' from the sloped floor and it is just in front of the pit. The glass is thin, probably less than 1" thick with no top.


HP 24/24 | AC 16/14/12 | F+3/R+6/W+2 | CMB +1, CMD 15 | Acro 10, climb 5, DD 13, EA 10, Init 6, Perc 7, SoH 8, SM 1, Stealth 10, Surv 8

Is the glass at the edge of the pit, or over the middle of it? If it's 2' off the floor, we could get under it and then jump, but that will be harder if it's over the pit.

Dounia was racking her brain as she threw mud at the barrier. Why this room? Why was it here? Why was the floor smooth tile, but the room beyond rough stone? Why the funnel shape. It was so suspicious, but she just couldn't puzzle it out.

"No way out but through," she muttered to herself. Tying the rope around herself again, she handed the end to the others. "I'm going to go in, see what's down the pit, see if there's a mechanism in the room I can't see from here."

Intention - investigate this side of the pit, especially the walls near the barrier. Look into the pit. Take some mud and crouch down under the 2' of the glass and throw it to see if there's a second barrier. Do this without putting a limb under the barrier.

perception for tramps: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24


male (he/him)

Before Dounia goes out there please tell me what everyone else is doing.

What does everyone know/guess about the room so far?

Are there any actions or preperations anyone wants to take before she goes out?

edit

Dounia could hear Cyra's voice in her head, 'Didn't they say Lugh caught it in the 'pit room' ... Do it by the numbers. Stay on your toes. Only one rule to traps. Don't get dead.'


Human Draconic Sorcerer/3 | HP 20/20 | Init +2 | AC14/F12/T13 | Mage armor AC18 | F+2 R+3 W+3 | Perc +4 SM +0 | Active Conditions: Mage Armor | Spells per day: 1st 2/6 | Claws: 6/7rounds | SMB 7; SMD 17

Zahra slowly followed the others down the sloped hallway. Partly because she was unsure as to how to help but also because she thought that maybe something bad would happen once they were all together...like the door slam shut and something bad would happen.

While the others were focused ahead, Zahra kept looking behind to make sure nothing followed them.

perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16

She flinched at the loud bang when the wooden leg that Cairee threw hit an almost invisible barrier. The sorceress nodded at Tymythy's suggestion to use the sand to coat the barrier and she found herself having fun as she helped throw sand balls at it.

Zahra kept an eye out on their surroundings as the others tried to figure out the trap. She also helped Cairee by joining with her and looking for magical auras.

She'll cast Detect Magic and study their surroundings for magical threats

Zahra will go as far as C as long as there is space for her

EDIT

Zahra tried to be helpful but was unfamiliar with traps and obstacles. "Is there anyway to get the barrier to move so that we can use it to cover the gap?"


Human Ranger 2 / Fighter 1 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMD: 16 | F: +7 R: +5 W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7 SM: +1 | SMB: +3, SMD: 14

Tymythy set himself at the doorway as Dounia decided to brave the very edge of the pit, using the needlessly small opening to anchor himself… just in case the whole floor decided to tip down and drop Dounia into the depths.

Tymythy’s at map marking B

”Be careful,” Tymythy said, hopefully needlessly. ”And while you are there, please toss a few handfuls of sand under the wall towards the far side. If there’s one wall, there might be another.”

Zahra al Asmar wrote:
Zahra tried to be helpful but was unfamiliar with traps and obstacles. "Is there anyway to get the barrier to move so that we can use it to cover the gap?"

That was the question, wasn’t it? Since Tymythy was securing the rope in case of an unfortunate accident involving Dounia he couldn’t very well move from his spot, but it did leave his eyes free to roam the walls near the small doorway, looking for hints of some hidden mechanism, a button to press, a loose tile to pro out to reveal some clue or way to proceed.

Perception, doorway B surroundings, hidden buttons and the like: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16


male (he/him)

So far what I'm hearing is this - Cairee was out front with Dounia and there isn't much room so ...

Floor Plan

Tymythy - yes, it is 20' to the gap
Dounia - yes, the glass is right in front of the gap


Human Draconic Sorcerer/3 | HP 20/20 | Init +2 | AC14/F12/T13 | Mage armor AC18 | F+2 R+3 W+3 | Perc +4 SM +0 | Active Conditions: Mage Armor | Spells per day: 1st 2/6 | Claws: 6/7rounds | SMB 7; SMD 17

Thanks for this different perspective! It helps me to visualize the space. Can Zahra see the magical aura? If so, I’d like to try to identify it even though her thinking isn’t so good :)

3,401 to 3,450 of 3,791 << first < prev | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Ærde: Lost and Found in the City of Wonders All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.