Ærde: Lost and Found in the City of Wonders

Game Master Jibril Johan Sameh

On the north western edge of Al Aimtidad, the anvil desert, sits the jewel of the world, the city of Zhayalammar. It is the ancient city of invention, horror, passion, and sorcery.

The Narrative * City Map * Roll20 * Character Status * Lands Around Zhayalahmar * Known Power Groups * Gossamer House * Current Map * The Scoreboard


3,201 to 3,250 of 3,812 << first < prev | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | next > last >>

Human Ranger 2 / Fighter 1 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMD: 16 | F: +7 R: +5 W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7 SM: +1 | SMB: +3, SMD: 14

Still a bit unclear... Dounia couldn't see anyhting / something fishy with the handle and latch. Perhaps the edit didn't take?


male (he/him)

The room is clear. The door isn't - something wrong with the handle. Dounia's post said she was searching the red and grey hallway but didn't specify the door. When she said it was clear it only concerned the hallway. Her roll, however, was enough to develop suspicions of the door handle. DC15 for a basic trap +2 for 20' away.


Human Ranger 2 / Fighter 1 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMD: 16 | F: +7 R: +5 W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7 SM: +1 | SMB: +3, SMD: 14

Thank ye. Will keep clear until Dounia calls it safe. Also, forgot that you could look for traps without the rogue talent well enough - it was just the disarming bit that was limited if you didn't have trapsense


HP 24/24 | AC 16/14/12 | F+3/R+6/W+2 | CMB +1, CMD 15 | Acro 10, climb 5, DD 13, EA 10, Init 6, Perc 7, SoH 8, SM 1, Stealth 10, Surv 8

Feeling confidant, Dounia practically skipped down the hallway. Reaching the door, she said, "Hang on, this isn't right..." She peered closer at the door handle and latch, trying to determine what was wrong with it. As she looked, she asked Cairee, "Can Saiph help me out?"

Going to assume guidance. Also remembered I have +8 on perc vs traps. Rolling dd too, incase she can figure out where the danger is.

perception: 1d20 + 8 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 8 + 1 = 15
disable device: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (17) + 13 = 30


male (he/him)

Dounia had seen a disruption in the smoothness of the thumb latch from across the room. When she got close she could see a pinhole. Underneath the thumb latch was a pin. Press down on the latch and you press your thumb on the pin.

Dounia easily removed the pin with whatever glistening unguent it was coated in. Close up the glistening looked like a lumpy honey. She had strong waxed-manilla envelopes in her kit ... did she keep the needle?

The pin isn't magical

craft alchemy DC15/kn nature or survival DC18:
This is azure lily pollen and causes nausea and in some cases paralysis. Anyone who uses it to create a trap must make a survival check or dose themselves.

She nodded to Tymythy who was free to open the door.

Working on a room map


Human Ranger 2 / Fighter 1 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMD: 16 | F: +7 R: +5 W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7 SM: +1 | SMB: +3, SMD: 14

Knowledge Nature: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8 Very much nope... perhaps Tymyhty will feel an urge to lick the needle to help identify the poison by taste ;^)

Tymyhty gave the extracted needle a wary look as he approached the door, and after the nod of confirmation from Dounia, pushed it open.

”Needles… and poison? Perhaps it would not have been amiss to invest in heavy metal gauntlets and armored boots for this one,” he mused. ”We are fortunate to have you with us.”


Dounia wrote:
Reaching the door, she said, "Hang on, this isn't right...Can Saiph help me out?"

Cairee was already reaching for Dounia's shoulder when the thief asked for help. She murmured her prayer, and watched as Dounia removed a pin coated in a thick, lumpy substance.

Craft Alchemy/Know. Nature: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25

"That's azure lily pollen! It causes nausea and sometimes paralysis. Be careful, Dounia. If you try to use it you may accidentally dose yourself."

Tymythy reached for the door and Cairee reached for his shoulder, refreshing her prayer of protection. They were going to need all the help they could get in this challenge.


male (he/him)

The door opened into the corner of the new room. The space had a high ceiling (20') and was wide but not deep (20' to the wall in front of you but 60' to the right wall). The walls, ceiling and floor were rough set-stone.

Before you was another metal door but it was turned sideways and was eight feet off the floor. There was a hook just above the door. There was a table attached to the centre of the left wall. There were paintings of men and elves, dwarves and orcs, on the wall with the door. The wall you were coming out of had sconces with candles turned sideways. At the far right wall was a huge mirror reflecting everything in the room.

It looked like THIS.

The door on the bottom left is the one you just came out of.


Human Draconic Sorcerer/3 | HP 20/20 | Init +2 | AC14/F12/T13 | Mage armor AC18 | F+2 R+3 W+3 | Perc +4 SM +0 | Active Conditions: Mage Armor | Spells per day: 1st 2/6 | Claws: 6/7rounds | SMB 7; SMD 17

Now that she can see the room, what radiates with magic?


male (he/him)
Zahra al Asmar wrote:
Now that she can see the room, what radiates with magic?

PM'd you - and you thought you didn't have anything you could do in this challenge ;)


Human Draconic Sorcerer/3 | HP 20/20 | Init +2 | AC14/F12/T13 | Mage armor AC18 | F+2 R+3 W+3 | Perc +4 SM +0 | Active Conditions: Mage Armor | Spells per day: 1st 2/6 | Claws: 6/7rounds | SMB 7; SMD 17

Now that the door was open, Zahra was able to see the magical warmth that she had sensed through the door.

The mirror at the opposite side of the room radiated magic. Her brow furrowed as she focused on the magic and she could sense three different auras. She stared intently at the mirror as she tried to determine what the auras meant.

k.arcana,DC16: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21
k.arcana,DC18: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10
k.arcana,DC22: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23

She was so focused on the mirror that it didn't immediately register that everything was turned sideways.


male (he/him)

PM'd you again


male (he/him)

PM'd you again - just noticed your third roll was a critical. Bonus on identifying the spell effect. Make a spellcraft roll DC18 instead of 22.


Human Draconic Sorcerer/3 | HP 20/20 | Init +2 | AC14/F12/T13 | Mage armor AC18 | F+2 R+3 W+3 | Perc +4 SM +0 | Active Conditions: Mage Armor | Spells per day: 1st 2/6 | Claws: 6/7rounds | SMB 7; SMD 17

spellcraft,DC18: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
Nuts!


HP 24/24 | AC 16/14/12 | F+3/R+6/W+2 | CMB +1, CMD 15 | Acro 10, climb 5, DD 13, EA 10, Init 6, Perc 7, SoH 8, SM 1, Stealth 10, Surv 8

Zahra was making the wrinkled-brow face that meant she was concentrating on magic. Unable to help herself, Dounia held the doorframe and inched into the room, more than half-expecting the wall the the left to suddenly become the floor. She'll take one step into the room. PS, she'll take the poison pin in case it matters later.


male (he/him)

Dounia stepped safely into the room.


Human Draconic Sorcerer/3 | HP 20/20 | Init +2 | AC14/F12/T13 | Mage armor AC18 | F+2 R+3 W+3 | Perc +4 SM +0 | Active Conditions: Mage Armor | Spells per day: 1st 2/6 | Claws: 6/7rounds | SMB 7; SMD 17

Two of the auras seemed very strong to Zahra to the point where the third was barely detectable.

"One of the auras is conjuration, most likely teleportation. Another is transmutation. Hopefully it doesn't turn any of us into something unnatural."


Human Ranger 2 / Fighter 1 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMD: 16 | F: +7 R: +5 W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7 SM: +1 | SMB: +3, SMD: 14
’Zahra al Asmar’ wrote:
"One of the auras is conjuration, most likely teleportation. Another is transmutation. Hopefully it doesn't turn any of us into something unnatural."

”Enough unnaturality here as it is,” Tymythty muttered as he peered through the open door into the room tipped over on its side with deep suspicion. After Dounia stepped boldly through the doorway and thus proved the room safe – on the surface at least – Tymyhty gingerly followed, taking each step lightly, as he, too, more than half feared the gravity would sooner or later realize which way it should pull him.

Once his initial fear was proven unwarranted, Tymyhty moved closer to the table on the floor/left wall, and pushed at it curiously, to see if it was affixed to the wall, or if it moved as if it was simply standing on firm ground.

Gravity shenanigans are cool! Extra points for the illuminating picture ;^)


male (he/him)

Tymythy pushed at the table and it stayed firmly in place. It was easy to suspect that all of the picture frames were the same and not hung on picture wires as some were.


Zahra wrote:
"One of the auras is conjuration, most likely teleportation. Another is transmutation. Hopefully it doesn't turn any of us into something unnatural."

"Perhaps it will turn the room the right way around and allow us to exit," Cairee mused. She stepped into the room. "ciga Mtce Ted," she murmured, focusing on the mirror and trying to sense what Zahra had.

Spellcraft: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7 hahaha of course

Cairee turned her attention to the paintings on the wall. Perhaps there were clues in the images.

Know Local?: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17
Know Religion?: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20


Human Ranger 2 / Fighter 1 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMD: 16 | F: +7 R: +5 W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7 SM: +1 | SMB: +3, SMD: 14

When the table proved fixed to the wall Tymyhty breathed a sigh of relief – this seemed a mere cunning display of architecture, meant to befuddle the mind, not yet another show of otherworldly magical powers… although Cairee’s next words banished his momentary feeling of complacency. Just because the room hadn’t been flipped by spellwork yet didn’t mean things would remain mundane for much longer.

”If flipping the room is the key, we better start taking note on places to anchor ourselves, just in case the room doesn’t react in the way you expect,” Tymyhty said, making note of the few features available. He moved closer to the wall with the door and the paintings and gently poked a picture frame at random, gauging just how firmly it was attached. ”And if you need to be close to the mirror to manage it… just don’t forget that if that end of the room suddenly becomes the roof, you’ll have a long way to fall.”


male (he/him)

GMs rolls:

-4 = unfathomable coincidence/unlucky; -3 = wild coincidence/unlucky; -2 = strange coincidence/unlucky; -1 = mild coincidence/unlucky; 0 = nothing of note; 1 = mild coincidence/lucky; 2 = strange coincidence/lucky; 3 = wild coincidence/lucky; 4 = unfathomable coincidence/lucky
happenstance: 1d3 - 2 ⇒ (3) - 2 = 1
happenstance: 1d3 - 2 ⇒ (3) - 2 = 1
happenstance: 1d3 - 2 ⇒ (2) - 2 = 0
happenstance: 1d3 - 2 ⇒ (3) - 2 = 1 1+1+0+1=3 (wild coincidence/lucky)

The paintings on the wall were of people from any different cultures and ethnicities. Some of the people looked like servants from different faiths, clerics, wandering priests, and holy representatives while others were clearly The paintings featured only the bust of each person but appeared to each be wearing traveling clothes or combat gear. A few of the frames had blank canvas.

She stopped in front of one close to the centre of the wall and looked up to see a very good likeness of Lugh from the dwarven team. He looked serious with his face turned slightly left.

Tymythy prodded the paintings and found them attached to the wall at every corner. It would take a disable device check to remove a painting but for a common device DC10. There are iron sconces attached to the wall opposite the paintings - you cant see them on the image as I wanted to do a cut-away fourth-wall.


male (he/him)

The distance from the mirror to the wall with the table is 60'


Cairee looked curiously at the portraits. "They all look like travelers or adventurers," she said. Then she saw a dwarf that looked like Lugh and a chill ran down her spine. "Do you think these are images of people who..." She couldn't finish her sentence. Instead she abandoned the pictures and walked towards the sideways door. She doubted it would be as easy as turning the knob and crawling out. But, you never knew.

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18


male (he/him)

The edge of the door was over eight feet from the floor. Cairee could see that this door had no thumb latch but it did have a keyhole. The hook just above the door, suited for holding a key, was empty.


Human Ranger 2 / Fighter 1 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMD: 16 | F: +7 R: +5 W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7 SM: +1 | SMB: +3, SMD: 14
GM Corey Homebrew wrote:
The edge of the door was over eight feet from the floor. Cairee could see that this door had no thumb latch but it did have a keyhole. The hook just above the door, suited for holding a key, was empty.

"Check the image in the mirror," Tymythy suggested, shrugging his shoulders when the ladies looked his way. "The mirror should have some significance, and with all this magic about... wouldn't feel out of place to find the solution in what it reflects."

It's a bit of a distance, and the key is small... but might still spot if the hook in the mirror has a key hanging from it.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15


male (he/him)

Tymythy had to walk right up to the mirror but thought he could see a glint on the hook in the reflection.


HP 24/24 | AC 16/14/12 | F+3/R+6/W+2 | CMB +1, CMD 15 | Acro 10, climb 5, DD 13, EA 10, Init 6, Perc 7, SoH 8, SM 1, Stealth 10, Surv 8

Dounia watched breathlessly as Tymythy walked up to the mirror. Her heart beat fast and she realized she was terrified that the room would flip and he would fall. As he got close, she called out, "Wait!"

To Zahra, she said, "Do you have that climbing kit in your bag? I want some pitons and the mallet."

Once she had them in hand, she moved cautiously up to the mirror. Handing the harness to Tymythy, she said, "Put this on." She then took a piton and drove it into the wall, not far from the mirror. Threading the rope through, she then tied it off to Tymythy's harness.

"There. Now, if the room flips, you won't fall. We'll stay by the door. It's only 50 feet of rope, but that should be enough to get you close enough to jump without getting hurt." She then scampered back to the wall with the table, and stood with her back to it.

I don't know if he needs to touch it, or reach through, or what, I'll leave that to the magically inclined.


male (he/him)

Tymythy tried to check the direction that the key was hanging but could barely see a glint from this side of the mirror. On the other side of the room, however, the flames on the sconces burned in their natural positions (upward towards him) which seemed to indicate the wall with the table would be the floor.


Human Ranger 2 / Fighter 1 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMD: 16 | F: +7 R: +5 W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7 SM: +1 | SMB: +3, SMD: 14

I was kinda expecting one of the magically inclined to take a leap in the great magic mirror, but since Dounia wants Tymythy to volunteer himself I’m game!

Dounia Mehar Mehek Ghali wrote:
"There. Now, if the room flips, you won't fall. We'll stay by the door. It's only 50 feet of rope, but that should be enough to get you close enough to jump without getting hurt." She then scampered back to the wall with the table, and stood with her back to it.

”My money’s on me getting transported into the world captured in the mirror’s reflection… but, considering how the candleflames stand in there, I suppose I, at least, will be falling either way,” Tymyhty said, tugging at the rope to make certain the piston was well and truly in place and would take his weight.

”So. If touching the mirror causes this room to change, how we proceed should be simple enough – I get down, we get the key and open the door. However, if this room remains as it is and I am transported through the mirror into what lies beyond… should I try to open the door in the mirror first, just in case that opens the door here, or just come back with the key?” He allowed the others a moment to consider the question, as the ladies, particularly Cairee and Zahra, were much wiser in the ways of magic than a hunter from the far side of the world.

”Anyway, here goes. You all ready?” he asked, pooling the rope and taking a firm hold with one hand a yard’s length from the piston – so a sudden fall wouldn’t snatch the rope from his grip and cause him to fall its whole length, to meet a jarring stop when the loose rope ran out. Then, with a murmured prayer for any spirit that happened to be listening and looked upon him in favor – or pity – he reached out to touch the mirror, half-expecting to be pulled through.

I suppose lowering oneself along a rope is fairly each task, but since Tymyhty expects a gravity shift – and perhaps being dragged through the mirror into another room – will make a roll just in case, to control his movements.

Climb: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25


male (he/him)

Tymythy put his hand against the mirror and met resistance. It reminded him of the surface tension of water but much harder. With a little persistence, he pushed through the surface of the mirror and could feel its' hard edge change to the contour of his skin like an ever altering bracelet of glass. With his hand through the surface he became conscious of his hand feeling weightless. No unseen force pulled his hand towards his feet but he felt a slight tug on his hand. Gravity was different and it pulled things towards the table.

It was slightly cooler and more damp on the other side. He could not see his hand. Once through the mirror it was invisible. edited

The world on this side of the mirror did not change. Gravity did not upend itself.


Human Ranger 2 / Fighter 1 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMD: 16 | F: +7 R: +5 W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7 SM: +1 | SMB: +3, SMD: 14

’O spirits, look kindly upon this foolhardy soul,’ Tymythy prayed. Then, displaying more determination than he really felt, he pushed himself all the way through the surface, closing his eyes as he face met its own reflected image and melded into it.


male (he/him)

The party is split. I'm going to need everyone to read only the spoilers with their names on them, please. Dounia, Cairee, and Zahra can no longer see Tymythy and vice versa. Also, we're going to go turn by turn so please follow round economy: 1 free, swift, move, and standard action per post.

round 1 - Tymythy only please:

Tymythy pushed through the mirror and, holding the slack of the rope, found himself dangling from a mirrored ceiling. He could not see The Black Birds, only a reflection of this room (but noted the candle flames burning sideways in that reflection).

With an urgency and sureness of grip perhaps given aptitude by adrenaline he descended double time and was already twenty feet down from the mirrored in a few heartbeats. (A roll of 25 means you can 'fast climb without issue and I'm assuming you do a double move this round. 1 move to dangle into the next room and 1 move to drop down the rope 20'. You won't need to roll again while descending.)

The light in the room was dank just as the reflection had been through the smokey glass.

round 1 - Cairee, Dounia, and Zahra only please:

The world did not upend itself as Tymythy disappeared into the mirror.

Wait a minute.

Tymythy disappeared into the mirror. He isn't visible in the reflection.

(Any actions for the first round?)


Human Draconic Sorcerer/3 | HP 20/20 | Init +2 | AC14/F12/T13 | Mage armor AC18 | F+2 R+3 W+3 | Perc +4 SM +0 | Active Conditions: Mage Armor | Spells per day: 1st 2/6 | Claws: 6/7rounds | SMB 7; SMD 17

Sorry I wasn't able to post before now...Is it too late to have Zahra go with Tymythy? She wouldn't have wanted him to go alone and if there's magic involved then she really wouldn't have wanted him to go alone.


Human Ranger 2 / Fighter 1 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMD: 16 | F: +7 R: +5 W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7 SM: +1 | SMB: +3, SMD: 14

Shall we post under spoilers as well, so other party doesn't get that part of the conversation either?


male (he/him)

Zahra - yes, you can follow Tymythy but not on round 1. You'll have to start down the rope on round 2 so please read the round 1 spoilers as is.

Tymythy - yes, please post as a spoiler. Only read someone else's spoiler if you are in the same space. Zahra, you can read Tymythy's round 2 spoiler but not Dounia's or Cairee's.

Cairee and Dounia can perform actions for round 1. Then, Round 2 - everyone up.


Human Draconic Sorcerer/3 | HP 20/20 | Init +2 | AC14/F12/T13 | Mage armor AC18 | F+2 R+3 W+3 | Perc +4 SM +0 | Active Conditions: Mage Armor | Spells per day: 1st 2/6 | Claws: 6/7rounds | SMB 7; SMD 17
Tymythy wrote:
”Anyway, here goes. You all ready?”

Before Zahra could do or say anything, Tymythy pushed his way into the mirror!

"He shouldn't go alone. And what did you all see in the mirror that made him want to enter it?"

The sorceress was trying to catch up with what everyone else already seemed to know. The fact that Tymythy wasn't visible anymore once he was inside the mirror chilled Zahra's blood. "I don't like this. I'm going after him. I'll follow the rope."

Not expecting anyone to stop her, Zahra grabbed the rope before crossing the threshold into the mirror.


male (he/him)

Please everyone post as a spoiler. You might title your spoiler 'Cairee - round 1' for example. Only read your teamate's spoilers if you are in the same room


Human Draconic Sorcerer/3 | HP 20/20 | Init +2 | AC14/F12/T13 | Mage armor AC18 | F+2 R+3 W+3 | Perc +4 SM +0 | Active Conditions: Mage Armor | Spells per day: 1st 2/6 | Claws: 6/7rounds | SMB 7; SMD 17

Sorry, I thought that that happened before spoilers started. My bad.


male (he/him)
Zahra al Asmar wrote:
Sorry, I thought that that happened before spoilers started. My bad.

Please don't worry. You were at the very beginning and didn't need to. This is going to be a bit delicate to do, however, so I wanted to put out the reminder. As a rule, if there is someone who isn't present in the room (and for this section of the game only) post as a spoiler. The team has been truly separated and I want everyone to 'feel' that.


Human Ranger 2 / Fighter 1 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMD: 16 | F: +7 R: +5 W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7 SM: +1 | SMB: +3, SMD: 14

Tymythy – round 1:

Right, if no more rolls are needed then let’s hustle at best safe speed down – climbing speed is slow, but might not translate well to sliding down a rope… assuming, of course, that speed is that much of the essence. Anyway, at least this first round is just descend and nothing else, I believe.

I believe the rope won’t reach all the way down (60’ rope, 60’ high room, and some rope was used to reach the piston (and to make a light harness?), but shouldn’t be much of a problem, as Tymyhty can just dangle from the end of the rope arms stretched up. Should get his feet close enough to the ground not to take damage. Getting up might be a bit more of an issue, but there is that handy table to give him a 3’ boost… climb up it, jump up and the end of the rope shouldn’t be too high up. Of course, making it all the way up will take ages compared to the way down (and require about million climb roll successes), unless the girls help by pulling on the rope.

The hunter blinked his eyes open after he felt his face pass the mirror’s surface, marveling at the dark-hued version of the room he had just left behind. A still, silent room, devoid of his companions, the light somehow muted, as though a think silk veil had been wrapped over his eyes. He glanced up at the reflection, and felt a moment’s panic at the image in the mirror didn’t show Cairee, Dounia or Zahra either… but at least the sideways-burning candles suggested the reflection held same magic on this side of the portal as well.

But his relief proved short-lived, as something in this enspelled reflection of the room tugged at his nerves, making his instincts scream to him to leave, flee, before the way above him closed and trapped him in the mirror for good. That there were no dangers visible to his eyes was small comfort, for magic permeated the very walls of this place and he had no way of warding himself against that threat. So, down the rope the hunter slid, as quickly as he could safely manage, counting out the seconds spent in this strange room in the silence of his mind, his eyes focused on the prize – the key dangling by the door.

Oh, since you need both hands free to climb I will assume Tymyhty left his spear with the ladies, since I believe we established earlier his “harness for carrying the spear across his back” thingey was still a work in progress.


male (he/him)

Tymythy - more info round 1 (Zahra climbs into the room on round 2 as she has to give Tymythy time to get clear from the mirror):

If you take a look at the ropes in the equipment section it stipulates they are 50' long. It is 12' from the end of the rope to the floor. Tymythy has a reach of nearly eight feet, the table is three feet, so getting back onto the rope will be a moderate climb roll and continuing up will be easy climb rolls.

Now that he was in the room, Tymythy could see the key more clearly. On a simple rope tie a familiar silver tube hung.


Human Ranger 2 / Fighter 1 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMD: 16 | F: +7 R: +5 W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7 SM: +1 | SMB: +3, SMD: 14

Tymythy - more info round 1:

A tube, you say? A bit far away to see, perhaps… but something like the “secret” we found in the statue's maw? In that case, I suppose picking the lock was the right answer here to progress… I wonder if the door here in mirror-land is just a prop? Oh well, time to find out once Tymythy gets his feet on the ground.


Tymythy wrote:
”So. If touching the mirror causes this room to change, how we proceed should be simple enough – I get down, we get the key and open the door. However, if this room remains as it is and I am transported through the mirror into what lies beyond… should I try to open the door in the mirror first, just in case that opens the door here, or just come back with the key?”

Get down there? Cairee's attention had been on the strange door. She was aware that Tymythy had approached the mirror and Dounia had tethered him to the wall. But she had assumed that was to protect him in case this room changed orientation. Does he think he can go through the mirror? The thought hadn't even occurred to the Cleric.

"I guess see if you can open it?" She mused, looking to the others for their thoughts. But apparently the conversation was over. Tymythy touched the mirror, then seemed to push himself into it...

Cairee Round 1:

...and disappeared! "Wait!"She cried uselessly. But Zahra was already on his heels.

Zahra wrote:
"I don't like this. I'm going after him. I'll follow the rope."

She was already at the mirror, ready to follow, while Cairee was frozen by the door, shocked that her friend had vanished. But now was not the time to panic. They needed a plan, and fast. Cairee looked to the rope. Was it slack? Or had it pulled tight, suggesting Tymythy had fallen?

"Dounia and I should stay on this side of the mirror for now. Tug the rope once every 30 seconds to let us know you're okay. If you don't tug it then we'll pull it up." And if you're not on it, we'll follow you through, she thought.


male (he/him)

Cairee, Dounia, and Zahra:

The rope had pulled tight but Cairee could see Tymythy holding up the slack before he entered so that he wouldn't plunge the fifty-foot length of the rope. The taughtness was immediate and didn't come on after the time of a fall.

It was certain that down was different in the space beyond the mirror.


male (he/him)

Note for everyone: Tymythy has left his spear with Dounia and Cairee so that he can climb two-handed


HP 24/24 | AC 16/14/12 | F+3/R+6/W+2 | CMB +1, CMD 15 | Acro 10, climb 5, DD 13, EA 10, Init 6, Perc 7, SoH 8, SM 1, Stealth 10, Surv 8

Dounia round 1:

Dounia had expected the room to shift, not for Tymythy to vanish. She froze a moment, but Zahra had no such hesitation. She ran across the room, ready to throw herself after Tymythy.

Quote:
"Dounia and I should stay on this side of the mirror for now. Tug the rope once every 30 seconds to let us know you're okay. If you don't tug it then we'll pull it up." And if you're not on it, we'll follow you through, she thought.

"Good thinking!" she agreed. It looked like this room was okay, so she ran back to the mirror. "If we hang on to this, even if the room flips, we should be okay." She peered through the mirror, wondering if she could see Tymythy now that she was closer.

perc: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10

Double move across the room, grab rope.


male (he/him)

Cairee,Dounia, and Zahra - rnd1:

Dounia rushed up and grabbed on to the little bit of rope between the piton and mirror. There was a great pull on the rope making it a tight line which left no room for Cairee to grab some rope as well.

Dounia looked hard into the Smokey glass but only saw herself and a reflection of what was in this room.

Tymythy - rnd1:

Tymythy was part way down the rope and could feel some light tugging coming from above him.

please go ahead with round 2 everyone. Zahra- Tymythy is clear of the mirror and you can start down. Please make a climb roll in your post


Human Ranger 2 / Fighter 1 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMD: 16 | F: +7 R: +5 W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7 SM: +1 | SMB: +3, SMD: 14

Tymythy – Round 2:

Light tugging, so it doesn’t feel like the girls are trying to haul him out in a hurry? In that case, keep going down, although Tymythy will now glance upwards every now and then to see if something’s going on there. I suppose they could be trying to catch his attention for some reason, but as long as the mirror image doesn’t show them and thus Tymythy can’t figure out what they might want, and until Zahra pushed through, there’s no reason to change things.

Feeling a tug at the rope he was sliding down, Tymyhty slowed down for a moment to look up at the mirror, but the magical portal held its secrets, showing him only an empty room in its reflection. If the ladies were seeking his attention he had no idea what for, but since he didn’t feel any particular urgency in the tugging, nor was there any sign that the three were attempting to start hauling up the rope – a clear sign that they had spotted something and wanted him back as soon as possible – he ignored the new development and kept descending at best speed.

As he came closer he did realize that what was hanging in the hook by the door didn’t look like a key after all. No, it seemed more like the strange implement they had recovered from the statue’s maw in the first challenge. So, perhaps this mirror-world was a secret rather than the way forward, and they were meant to pick the lock to proceed? Still, he had come this far, it seemed to make no sense to retreat right now.


male (he/him)

GMs rolls:

?: 1d100 ⇒ 57

Cairee and Dounia - rnd2:

Zahra, apprehensive, pushed her way through the mirror and was likewise gone. Dounia watched as her team mate merged with the glass and the mirror didn't flex, bend, or pucker. It simply changed to the contour of the sorceress' body and allowed her through.

A heartbeat.

A hand broke through the mirrors surface where the rope went in. It grabbed at the mirror frame. A body heaved itself out of the mirror.

It was Tymythy!

"How long was I in that damnable place!" He looked Dounia in the eye and he was clearly confused but he seemed to be getting his bearings. "Quickly! We must undo the rope!" He grabbed at the piton.

Tymythy and Zahra - rnd2:

Zahra climbed through the window to the top of the rope and felt the shift of gravity pull her towards the far wall with the table, down the rope and towards Tymythy. Looking up, she could only see her reflection so close with no sign of Dounia or Cairee.

Looking down she could see Tymythy slide down the rope with ease and excellent speed. He had the puissance of a young man and the growing confidence of a warrior.

(Zahra - please make your climb roll. Difficulty is 10 to go down 10'/move - your first move this round was climbing through the mirror. If you roll 20 or higher I will allow you to go down double-time. Roll a 6 to 9 and you make no progress. Roll 5 or less and you fall towards Tymythy)

(Tymythy - if nothing happens, you will reach the table top by the end of round 2)

3,201 to 3,250 of 3,812 << first < prev | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Ærde: Lost and Found in the City of Wonders All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.