Ærde: Lost and Found in the City of Wonders

Game Master Jibril Johan Sameh

On the north western edge of Al Aimtidad, the anvil desert, sits the jewel of the world, the city of Zhayalammar. It is the ancient city of invention, horror, passion, and sorcery.

The Narrative * City Map * Roll20 * Character Status * Lands Around Zhayalahmar * Known Power Groups * Gossamer House * Current Map * The Scoreboard


3,551 to 3,600 of 3,810 << first < prev | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | next > last >>

male (he/him)

Your pics are great! I get all the information I need from them. Also, the grate is awkward but not too heavy. DC to lift is 12


male (he/him)

A quick bot'ing

Cairee, "I can think of half-a-dozen or more religious references to snakes and dragons just off the top of my head. None of it is helping me decipher these tiles." She paused thoughtfully. "I really think this is a code of random words. The different languages serve to make it harder. How many words are there in all of the languages of the world? But I think that gives us an advantage. Most of the other teams are made up of one culture. We have a few. Which means more familiarity with more languages. Still, I'm not sure where to go from here."


Human Draconic Sorcerer/3 | HP 20/20 | Init +2 | AC14/F12/T13 | Mage armor AC18 | F+2 R+3 W+3 | Perc +4 SM +0 | Active Conditions: Mage Armor | Spells per day: 1st 2/6 | Claws: 6/7rounds | SMB 7; SMD 17

Zahra nodded as Dounia spoke, "I agree with Dounia, let's get the grate open first so we have a way out and then we can push some buttons and see what happens."

As Zahra looked at the words and thought about which one she'd push if she got the chance, another thought came to her. "I wonder if we have new supporters in the stadium. After the amazing feats that Dounia has done this challenge, there are probably a lot of guests wanting to talk to her about how she did it. Do you think they'd buy us gear to spend time with us? Like a healing potion or two would have definitely come in handy during this challenge and if the challenges get harder...just a thought. I'd be more than happy to share a meal or spend some time with someone who supports us."


Human Ranger 2 / Fighter 1 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMD: 16 | F: +7 R: +5 W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7 SM: +1 | SMB: +3, SMD: 14

Busy start of the week for me at work... I'll try to get a post out later in the day.


Human Ranger 2 / Fighter 1 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMD: 16 | F: +7 R: +5 W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7 SM: +1 | SMB: +3, SMD: 14

So, let’s see if I got this right. Dounia got a piton in place on the roof next to the grate, and rope attached to that. I think it would be difficult to push the grate open with one hand, hanging onto the rope with the others, because one couldn’t push one’s arm much higher than the grate’s resting level… but would it be OK to climb all the way up, flip around to put Tymythy head down on the rope, knees bent, both hands holding the rope as he is basically crouched on the roof against the gravity, and use one foot to “push down” (in this case up)? I think his leg would reach further from this position than his arm when hanging right way up, so he could do more lifting and less explosive showing and hoping the grate doesn’t just stop before balancing point and fall back down?


Human Ranger 2 / Fighter 1 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMD: 16 | F: +7 R: +5 W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7 SM: +1 | SMB: +3, SMD: 14

Well, my time to make a post is now, so I’ll just hope my idea is workable…

Dounia Mehar Mehek Ghali wrote:

Dounia heaved on the grate, but it was too heavy. Descending yet again, she rubbed her hands on her thighs and said, "Tymythy, can you get the grate open? It's too heavy for me?"

”It won’t be easy, but I can give it a shot – you come down and work on the puzzle… or whatever it is, just in case it is worth extra points or provides some other benefit other than just opening the lock you just picked,” Tymythy said, gazing up at the grate Dounia had been attempting to push at with narrowed eyes. It would be a job and a half to get any decent leverage up there, or to push the grate up far enough it wouldn’t simply fall back down the moment one let go of it, or pushed it beyond the reach of one’s arm, but…

Climb: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23
Str to push the grate: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3

So, getting into position, no prob. Trying to open the grate, many probs. Can Tymythy retry on following “rounds”?

As Dounia made her smooth landing Tymythy took her place on the rope, climbing up effortlessly, then spent a moment wondering just how he’d go about it. Then, struck by inspiration, he took a hold of the rope mere inches from where it was tied to the piton and pulled his body up, pulled up his feet until he managed to flip himself upside down on the rope. For a moment he held the position, looking as if he was crouching on the roof, his long braid hanging down towards the floor. Then, reassured he could maintain the position for a while, he moved one foot a few inches to put it on the grate and pushed “down”… but his foot slipped on the metal and the grate barely shifted.

Muttering a curse, Tymythy struggled to regain his original posture, preparing himself for another attempt.


male (he/him)

Tymythy can retry but must make a climb roll each round. Please make your climb check first and then your str check


Now that Dounia was on the floor, Cairee pointed out the little doors and slots around the tiles. "Does this look like it's been rigged? Do you think we'll have more than one guess if we get the first one wrong?"

Perception Aid Dounia: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6 well at least Cairee is doing her part balancing out all the natural 20s the team is getting...


Human Ranger 2 / Fighter 1 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMD: 16 | F: +7 R: +5 W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7 SM: +1 | SMB: +3, SMD: 14

Climb: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12
Str to push the grate: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

Climb: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23
Str to push the grate: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11

Climb: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17
Str to push the grate: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19 4th time is the charm, unless his grip slips on the 2nd attempt?


male (he/him)

Cairee's nat1 gives Dounia a -2 on her roll

Tymythy - the DC is 15 for this particular climb maneuver you're doing. If you roll 11 or higher it doesn't mean a fall it just means you don't get to roll strength. So, success on rnd 4.


Human Ranger 2 / Fighter 1 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMD: 16 | F: +7 R: +5 W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7 SM: +1 | SMB: +3, SMD: 14

It was proving harder than he had assumed, Tymythy had to admit as either his foot kept slipping or he had to stop to correct his posture… and as the seconds ticked past, hanging upside down just kept getting harder as he could feel blood pooling towards his upper body, his heartbeats slowing down, an uncomfortable pressure building somewhere behinds his eyes… but then, finally, he got everything right at the same time, and with a grunt of effort and one last push “down” with his foot, the grate opened, rose beyond its tipping point and fell all the way open with a loud clang of metal of stone.

Sighing in relief, Tymythy flipped himself right-side up and clambered out through the opening into the room above - he had come all this distance, he might as well find a new place to secure the rope from to make the climb easier for the others.

Climp up: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19


HP 24/24 | AC 16/14/12 | F+3/R+6/W+2 | CMB +1, CMD 15 | Acro 10, climb 5, DD 13, EA 10, Init 6, Perc 7, SoH 8, SM 1, Stealth 10, Surv 8

Dounia forced herself to concentrate on the mechanism instead of turning to watch Tymythy do whatever he was doing to get the grate open. There was certainly a lot of grunting. "Don't fall on us!" she cheerfully reminded him.

perception: 1d20 + 8 - 2 ⇒ (5) + 8 - 2 = 11

She studied the puzzle, but Cairee kept pointing out different tiles, and getting her hands in the way, and in the end Dounia couldn't make much sense of what was happening. "I don't know, now that Tymythy has the gate open, we can just leave if something bad happens."

She reached down and pushed on the tile that Cairee said talked about Blessings. (tile 6)


male (he/him)

Dounia - Please make a reflex save


HP 24/24 | AC 16/14/12 | F+3/R+6/W+2 | CMB +1, CMD 15 | Acro 10, climb 5, DD 13, EA 10, Init 6, Perc 7, SoH 8, SM 1, Stealth 10, Surv 8

Ref save: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21


male (he/him)

Dounia reached into the recessed space. Her hand felt cold air and a vague, barely-visible mist (the mist she had noticed while looking down from the rope) fled from the warmth of her skin. Somewhere inside the recess she could hear a tiny alchemical vial break.

The four stone doors slid toward centre at amazing speed. The little curved corner left just enough room for her wrist, but, like an adder, she slipped the trap!

Where Cairee and Zahra had seen the magical aura, nine burning words appeared. They floated in the air a foot away from the wall. The digital display Tymythy mentioned and why he got a +2 competency bonus - great guess Tymythy!

A rush like a great river could be heard. Final, water gushed out of every gargoyle mouth and the room began to fill with ice cold water.


male (he/him)

What the recess looks like now

If Dounia had been caught she would have been bound to the floor as the room filled. The release mechanism is to remember the position of the buttons and type in the code


male (he/him)

The ice cold water felt soothing on Zahra's feet as some long forgotten heritage called out to her in an inaudible whisper.


HP 24/24 | AC 16/14/12 | F+3/R+6/W+2 | CMB +1, CMD 15 | Acro 10, climb 5, DD 13, EA 10, Init 6, Perc 7, SoH 8, SM 1, Stealth 10, Surv 8

Dounia leapt to her feet, realizing the danger she'd been in. Good thing it was me, and not the others - they might not have been quick enough!

"Everybody up!" she cried, herding Cairee to the rope. She tied a quick loop for her foot at the bottom and said, "Hold on tight! Tymythy, pull her up!"

Dounia will make sure Zahra goes up next, then she'll go last.


HP 24/24 | AC 16/14/12 | F+3/R+6/W+2 | CMB +1, CMD 15 | Acro 10, climb 5, DD 13, EA 10, Init 6, Perc 7, SoH 8, SM 1, Stealth 10, Surv 8

As Tymythy worked on getting the other girls up the rope, Dounia took one last shot at the puzzle before it was too deep under water. She took her tools and tried to open the doors.

DD: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (5) + 13 = 18

If she gets them open, she'll push the buttons in the order of the display.


Human Ranger 2 / Fighter 1 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMD: 16 | F: +7 R: +5 W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7 SM: +1 | SMB: +3, SMD: 14

Duonia’s predictions were proved accurate as water started streaming into the room below. At least the grate was now open, so as long as the ladies could at least manage to float they would be in no particular danger of drowning. Still, time was of the essence, to a degree at least, so he was certainly willing to do what he could to help.

”Right, one at a time, the others get ready to tread water for a bit!” Tymythy shouted back down into the rapidly filling room as he set his feet and prepared to pull on the rope.

Do you want some strength rolls from Tymythy and climb rolls from the ladies? Unless someone really can’t swim even a little bit or gets caught in another trap, I figure we do have the option of taking our time with this…

Also, now I understand the thing about "doors" ;^)


Human Draconic Sorcerer/3 | HP 20/20 | Init +2 | AC14/F12/T13 | Mage armor AC18 | F+2 R+3 W+3 | Perc +4 SM +0 | Active Conditions: Mage Armor | Spells per day: 1st 2/6 | Claws: 6/7rounds | SMB 7; SMD 17

Zahra half gasped, half screamed as the trap sprung when Dounia pushed one of the buttons. Part of her expected to see a bloody stump at the end of Dounia's arm and she was very relieved to see her friend fully intact having escaped the trap.

So many things happened at once and Zahra felt anxiety rising within her. She glanced over at the wall and tried to memorize the words she saw in case they needed the information.

As she studied the wall, water began to fill the room but instead of adding to her panic she found it soothing. She reached down and scooped some of the cold water and splashed it on her face.

She gladly let Cairee go ahead of her up the rope as it seemed most prudent to leave the room now that they could no longer get at the buttons. While she waited for her turn on the rope and Dounia looked at the recessed area, Zahra playfully splashed in the freezing water. Recent memories of an ice castle came to mind that both made her happy and sad.

Once Cairee was at the top, Dounia grabbed Zahra's hand to get her attention and pulled her toward the rope and motioned at her to get climbing.

climb: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18


male (he/him)

dounia - time to disable: 2d4 ⇒ (1, 3) = 4

Dounia might as well be trying to dismantle a wall. There was no crevice along the top for a tool to get through.
The water rushed over the ridge and filled the recessed panel.
She would have to break her thumb to get her hand through the hole.
The water rose above her knees as she crouched before the device.
A quick look inside with her tiny mirror tool yielded nothing.
The water was half up her thighs and her hands were stiffening.

Dounia - cold damage (non-lethal): 1d4 ⇒ 1

-

Tymythy - please make a climb roll to climb out of the room. DC10. A result of 6 to 9 means no progress so 'you' only fall on a 1.

You have str13 so you can 'lift' 300lbs so no str roll needed, but it's slow going. If you want to make a str roll you can try to haul the person up faster. Please check the consequence countdown. Hauling someone up will cost 2pnts and grant 1pnt. If Cairee doesn't respond this morning I'm going to assume you haul her up instead of her climbing.

Assuming you eventually make it to the hallway above...

Tymythy could see the hallway now. To his right, the stone passage extended a hundred and twenty feet to end with a brass door with the image of a shield on it. From a distance, the shield looked like the mechanism they found inside the brass door when the entered from the arena.

On the ceiling, perhaps every twenty feet, hung an oil lamp for light.

To his left, the passage seemed to go for as far as the eye could see, disappearing into the dark. As he peered down that path he thought he could see the most distant light go out.

Then another.

Then another.

-

I am starting a consequence countdown at 10. Please check the discussion board.


Human Ranger 2 / Fighter 1 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMD: 16 | F: +7 R: +5 W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7 SM: +1 | SMB: +3, SMD: 14

I did one climb check to do just that, 12 posts up the list, but if you want another...

Climb DC10: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8 Much worse than the earlier 19, but not bad enough to fall, so he can try again?
Climb DC10: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18


Human Ranger 2 / Fighter 1 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMD: 16 | F: +7 R: +5 W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7 SM: +1 | SMB: +3, SMD: 14

”There is a hallways up here, with lights along it. Going dark, one by one. I don’t think we want to still be here once the darkness swallows this place whole!” Tymythy shouted down, urging the ladies to climb for all they are worth.


male (he/him)

Oops - missed the roll. No need for a new one. You climb up no problem

PP2/CP9


Sorry to have gone awol, I've been sick and using screens has been giving me a headache.

Cairee had been trying to puzzle out the answer to the code, when Dounia reached in and pressed a tile at random. The doors slammed shut, almost trapping the thief's hand! "Are you okay?" Dounia didn't answer. She was staring at the words that appeared on the far wall. A phrase, though the cleric only understood half of it. She focused on each word, committing them to memory. It would be worth getting them translated in case the phrase showed up again in these 'games'.

Climb: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (3) + 0 = 3

Tymythy wrote:
”There is a hallways up here, with lights along it. Going dark, one by one. I don’t think we want to still be here once the darkness swallows this place whole!”

Tymythy's warning got Cairee moving. She grabbed the rope and tried to climb. Her hands were shaking, either from the cold water numbing her feet or from the stress of the last several traps, she couldn't tell. She barely got her left hand over her right before she slid back down. She looked at Zahra, shivering. "Maybe you should go first."

As Zahra gracefully ascended the rope, Cairee took a moment to center herself, and offered a prayer to Saiph for aid. Then she took a deep breath and tried again.

Climb: 1d20 + 0 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 0 + 1 = 12

It was a struggle, but she was able to haul herself slowly up the rope. When she neared the top Tymythy reached down and helped her through the grate.


Human Ranger 2 / Fighter 1 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMD: 16 | F: +7 R: +5 W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7 SM: +1 | SMB: +3, SMD: 14

Zahra made great progress climbing the rope, and Tymythy barely had time to help her, glancing back at the brass door slowly being engulfed by darkness every few moment as he was, but he did extend a hand to pull her up once she had reached the end of the rope. ”Nicely done,” he complemented her efforts. ”The practice you got in the mirror room served you well. Dounia! Cairee! Your turn! I see another brass door here, at the end of the hall! Similar to the one at the entrance of this challenge! We might be almost done here!”

Str check to help Cairee: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5 Hello and welcome, CP…

Since Cairee made a second Climb check, and it’s not like Dounia can pass over her on the rope, and and since we both failed, here’s a second roll

Str check to help Cairee: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21 Well, that should get the job done…

Seeing Cairee go for the rope Tymythy did his best to help her, and while at their they worked at cross purposes – Tymythy’s attempts to haul up the rope did doing more to make Cairee’s grip slip they eventually got the hang of things and few more moments later the healer joined the hunter and mystic in the strange hallway with its encroaching wall of gloom.

”You are up, Dounia!”

Can’t think of anything smart to help with the rope climbing, with the stuff we have at hand and that wouldn’t take more time than repeated Climb/Str check attempts, unfortunately T_T No opportunity to improvise a pulley to make hauling the rope easier (the usriev is magical so the shaft would likely take the weight) as there's nowhere in the hallway to set it above the grate opening...


HP 24/24 | AC 16/14/12 | F+3/R+6/W+2 | CMB +1, CMD 15 | Acro 10, climb 5, DD 13, EA 10, Init 6, Perc 7, SoH 8, SM 1, Stealth 10, Surv 8

Dounia gave up on the puzzle trap; whatever secrets it held were beyond her forever. Her hands were quickly going numb in the cold water and she didn't want to risk dropping or losing her tools.

Jamming them back into her hair, she splashed through the water to the rope and began to climb.

climb: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13

The made it up without difficulty, though a tad slower than usual. The darkening hallway was spooky, so she had to force herself to be careful rather than just run to the plaque at the end.

perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13 Looking for traps between here and the plaque


male (he/him)

Tymythy worked hard to haul up Cairee but her poor grip and his hands slipping on the rope dropped her into the shin-deep ice water. The splash went up her legs and all feeling began to leave them.

Cairee, non-lethal cold damage: 1d4 ⇒ 4

Zahra, driven by urgencey, climbed up the rope smoothly and was left at the top to watch the lights disappear as Tymythy had mentioned. Barely visible lamps blinked out one by one.

Cairee, fortified by prayer, made her tenuous hand-over-hand up the rope and didn't loose grip when an adrenaline soaked Tymythy heaved her up double-time.

Dounia, frustrated with the doors, gave up and climbed up after. Her hands ached as she made her slow way up.

I've posted what I thought of the rounds. Zahra - you can act. Start running, make a knowledge roll, try to stay out of the way (stealth), assist someone else's roll, whatever you like. Then Zahra, Tymythy, and Cairee can go as Dounia abandons the device and climbs up.

After that everyone goes. Dounia - you can keep your perception check for round 4 or change your action.


male (he/him)

I'm going to bot Zahra to free things up a bit here. It's round 2 so basic DCs are 13.

Zahra stood in the hall watching Tymythy pull up Cairee. Dounia was close behind. She stared down what seemed like an infinite passage and counted between the lights going out.

Zahra's perception vs DC13: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16

one, two, three, four, five, six ... one, two, three, four, five, six The lights were going out at an even rate. "Hey everyone, I think we have about thirty seconds to get through that door!"

Success - +1PP/-0CP for a 6PP/7CP
everyone is in round three


Human Ranger 2 / Fighter 1 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMD: 16 | F: +7 R: +5 W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7 SM: +1 | SMB: +3, SMD: 14

For round 3, Tymythy would be ready to help Dounia climb up, and I guess once again he would make the roll without first waiting to see that she does not slip…

Str check to help Dounia: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13 Enough to help, barely, but not needed, so should this award another PP or not, since the success didn’t really add anything to the mix (except speed up Dounia’s ascent some fractions of a round, but that doesn’t matter considering the actions per round economy)?

Dounia took her place on the rope and Tymythy pulled for all he was worth, not that the rogue needed any help. With the last member of the team up in the darkening hallway, Tymythy picked up the rope and hurried after the others, towards the door, but hung back a few feet, watching the approaching wall of night warily. For who knew what the darkness hid?


male (he/him)

You can choose wether you want to roll to 'aid another' and give them a +2 on their roll - or - if you want your roll to count on it's own and give PP/CP points.

Please check the discussion post for "Thu, Feb 15, 2024, 04:30 am". Basic DC was set at 12 but is going up every round. For round 3 the DC is 14.


Human Draconic Sorcerer/3 | HP 20/20 | Init +2 | AC14/F12/T13 | Mage armor AC18 | F+2 R+3 W+3 | Perc +4 SM +0 | Active Conditions: Mage Armor | Spells per day: 1st 2/6 | Claws: 6/7rounds | SMB 7; SMD 17

Round3

Zahra felt an explosion of adrenaline as she watched the lights disappear and her friends continue to make their way up the rope. She glanced back and forth between the lights and Tymythy. She desperately wanted to help drag Dounia through the grate but knew that too many hands could sometimes have the opposite effect and hamper efforts.

Is everyone through the grate by the end of round2? Can more than 1 person aid another? I thought I remembered that in the past only 1 person could aid another

If Zahra can help and Dounia isn't through the grate yet, she will pick up the rope and help Tymythy pull, like in tug-o-war. If she can't help, then she'll Cast Light so they don't run the risk of being left in darkness

if she can't help or doesn't need to
Seeing Dounia's face emerge through the grate and Tymythy pull her to safety, Zahra breathed a sigh of relief.

Not wanting to run the risk of being plunged into darkness as they sprint for the door, Zahra speaks the arcane words to cause her bangle to glow around her wrist. This way she didn't have to worry about dropping the light as they ran.

Casting Light


Human Ranger 2 / Fighter 1 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMD: 16 | F: +7 R: +5 W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7 SM: +1 | SMB: +3, SMD: 14

Perception, aid another for Dounia in searching for traps and all: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21 As requested

Tymythy nodded in approval as Dounia looked at the hallway between them and the all-too-inviting door with suspicion and joined her in looking for things amiss, pointing out floor tiles that to him seemed slightly raised for Dounia to examine.


Round 3

Cairee stepped back from the grate to give Tymythy more room as he helped Dounia. Her feet were frozen, her wet, icy robes clung to her legs. She shivered violently and jogged on the spot, trying to bring some life back to her toes.

Zahra was focusing on the lights down the hall, so Cairee turned the other way, towards the door. It looked like the back of the door they'd entered, but that could be a trick. She muttered her prayer to Saiph, looking for any signs of magic either in the hall or on the door itself. "Gica Mtce Ted."


male (he/him)
Zahra al Asmar wrote:
Is everyone through the grate by the end of round2?

No, Dounia is still working on the device at the end of round 2. She gives up on it in round 3 and climbs up.

Zahra al Asmar wrote:
Can more than 1 person aid another? I thought I remembered that in the past only 1 person could aid another

posting a response in discussion

Zahra al Asmar wrote:
Casting Light

Zahra doesn't 'need' to help haul up the rope but can without getting in the way. I'm going to assume she casts 'Light'. Please make a concentration check against DC14


male (he/him)

Cairee - under these circumstances please make a concentration check vs DC14

Tymythy - your 'aid another' boosts Dounia's check to a success, round 4, +1PP/+0CP; current count: 7PP/3CP


Human Draconic Sorcerer/3 | HP 20/20 | Init +2 | AC14/F12/T13 | Mage armor AC18 | F+2 R+3 W+3 | Perc +4 SM +0 | Active Conditions: Mage Armor | Spells per day: 1st 2/6 | Claws: 6/7rounds | SMB 7; SMD 17

concentration check, DC14: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10

Sigh


male (he/him)

Round 3 - basic DCs are 14
Tymythy hauled Dounia up as she found handhold to grab and nearly leap out of the grated hatch.

Zahra, watched the lights blink out and summoned her own light but she could hear something. There was a clacking of stone in the direction of the forever hallway. She could see it now. It was maybe a hundred and twenty feet away. The stones of the wall were being pulled from their places and fell into some endless chasm. The hallway behind the team was disassembling itself with amazing speed and, as it got to a lamp, the light went out and fell into the nothingness!

Her light flickered and didn't give the safety and confidence she was hoping to provide - but at least there was light. [+0PP/+1CP]

Cairee focused on the door but it was too far away to see any auras. The walls ... waiting for Cairee's concentration roll

Round 4 - basic DCs are 15; count: 7PPs/4CPs
Dounia took in the situation with a haste driven by determination and both she and Tymythy looked down the corridor. Anticipating some snare, they looked at the hall to the new brass door, turned to each other, and nodded in agreement. It was a hallway, a straight run to the door. Trap-less.


male (he/him)

The collapsing hall is 120' behind you all. The brass door is 120' ahead. Detect Magic has a range of 60'


Round 3 Concentration: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21


male (he/him)

Round 3
... the walls glowed a faint white magical aura and the aura was stronger the closer it was to The Blackbirds. She looked behind her and it was stronger still as it neared the backout, up to the extent of her sight. Everything about the aura screamed run! (+1PP/+0CP)


Round 4

The hall was filled with magic. She didn't know what kind, and it didn't really matter. The hall was collapsing. They needed to get to the door, fast. "RUN!" Praying for her numb legs to obey, she stumbled towards the door.

Her ability to see the magic in the hall hadn't covered the last 60 feet of the hall. She was certain the magic causing the hall to collapse extended to the door, but there could be more more as well. Perhaps something at the door. As she moved she tried to remember how the door had worked when they came through it, and what they'd encountered on the other side. Perhaps she could remember something that would help Dounia open the door.

Sense Motive w/ Guidance: 1d20 + 7 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 7 + 1 = 15

Cairee casts Guidance on herself, moves 30 feet and ponders the door.


HP 24/24 | AC 16/14/12 | F+3/R+6/W+2 | CMB +1, CMD 15 | Acro 10, climb 5, DD 13, EA 10, Init 6, Perc 7, SoH 8, SM 1, Stealth 10, Surv 8
Cairee Featherfriend wrote:
"RUN!" Praying for her numb legs to obey, she stumbled towards the door.

Dounia ran. She sprinted as fast as she'd ever sprinted in her life. The hallway was falling behind them, and there was every chance that door was locked, trapped, or both. She was going to need time to figure it out, and she wasn't going to get it.

Digging deep into herself, Dounia forced herself to move faster than she had before. She didn't hold back; she didn't worry about running out of breath, or pulling a muscle, or trying not to trip. She ran as if her life depended on it, as if all four of their lives depended on it. Which they did. If she dug deep enough, maybe she could get a little burst of speed, and get there a few seconds sooner, and that might make the difference.

CON: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22


Human Draconic Sorcerer/3 | HP 20/20 | Init +2 | AC14/F12/T13 | Mage armor AC18 | F+2 R+3 W+3 | Perc +4 SM +0 | Active Conditions: Mage Armor | Spells per day: 1st 2/6 | Claws: 6/7rounds | SMB 7; SMD 17

question: you had mentioned you could make a Con check to run fast. Can you still run if you don't roll Con? I've never done checks before when I wanted my character to run. I just thought you couldn't do another action if you run. Or do you run further by making the Con check?


Human Ranger 2 / Fighter 1 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMD: 16 | F: +7 R: +5 W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7 SM: +1 | SMB: +3, SMD: 14
Cairee Featherfriend wrote:
"RUN!" Praying for her numb legs to obey, she stumbled towards the door.

Tymythy had no idea just what Cairee had seen in the approaching darkness to spook her so, but the hunter needed little encouragement. Although he couldn’t hold a candle to Dounia, who shot off like a startled rabbit from her hole!

Would it be possible to aid another with the “run fast” action? Not carry, as Tymythy doesn’t have that kind of strength, but pull someone by the arm to speed them up, even if neither of us moved at quite the best possible running speed. For Tymythy doesn’t want to leave anyone behind. So. One run check for himself, another as an aid check in case Cairee or Zanhra need help – Dounia obviously doesn’t!

Con check to run at best speed: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21
Con check to aid another running: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20 Just in case this works


male (he/him)

Round 4

Cairee's sense motive roll succeeds (+1PP/+0CP)
Dounia's Con roll succeeds (+1PP/+0CP)
Tymythy's Con roll succeeds (+1PP/+0CP)
Current count: 10PP/4CP - success!

Cairee rushed towards the door, all the while staring at the brass image and trying to get a read on what the designers where planing. It wasn't like the door into the contest. It was just image, not mechanical at all. The door read as a way out. Perhaps the group could run right into it? Knock it open!

Dounia sucked in air and pounded her feet against the floor. Not even Tymythy could quite keep up with her. She was at the door before the collapsing hall reached the grate where they'd entered.

Tymythy grabbed Zahra's hand and ran like a devil-stag. He could see Zahra's eyes. She was unsure. She ran because everyone else was running.

Cairee was behind them by a few seconds.

The collapsing hall was eighty feet behind them. They had seconds to spare.


Human Draconic Sorcerer/3 | HP 20/20 | Init +2 | AC14/F12/T13 | Mage armor AC18 | F+2 R+3 W+3 | Perc +4 SM +0 | Active Conditions: Mage Armor | Spells per day: 1st 2/6 | Claws: 6/7rounds | SMB 7; SMD 17

Zahra not only was unsure but it was almost like she was momentarily paralyzed by seeing the floor literally falling away into darkness where who knows what was lurking.

She was grateful for the feel of Tymythy's hand as he grabbed hold and started dragging her down the hallway towards the door. It took a few heartbeats but there was finally a connection between Zahra's mind and her feet and she began running in earnest alongside Tymythy.

When she got closer to the door, her fear of the falling floor catching up to them overpowered any caution she may have approached the door with. She looked at the hinges of the door to see if she could tell which way the door opened. If it pushed open she decided to keep running through the door.

perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19


Human Ranger 2 / Fighter 1 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMD: 16 | F: +7 R: +5 W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7 SM: +1 | SMB: +3, SMD: 14

Perception, aid another with Zahra if the door doesn’t just open when she pulls/pushes: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20

With the wind of the hallway’s collapse ruffling their hair Tymythy joined Zahra in seeing if the exit door would simply open, like the door at the end of the first challenge had, or whether they had to risk the last few moments of their life in figuring out its secret.


male (he/him)

Zahra bolted past everyone, past Dounia as the desert thief was poised to check for baited mechanisms. Tymythy saw it in her eyes and looked to the door, worried she would charge directly into danger. Zahra glanced - No sign of hinges on this side - the door must open outward. Tymythy gave her room. She smashed into the door with her shoulder and it burst open.

BLINDING LIGHT!

She launched herself into the arena. The lake was a few dozen yards in front of her. The crowd was on their feet cheering! The other Blackbirds followed her out into the open air.

It was over. They'd survived the second challenge.

Prem was running down from the southern steps towards them. Yoy'ya was staring at the points board waiting for a score, as were several other guests. Money was about to change hands.

3,551 to 3,600 of 3,810 << first < prev | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Ærde: Lost and Found in the City of Wonders All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.