Ærde: Lost and Found in the City of Wonders

Game Master Jibril Johan Sameh

On the north western edge of Al Aimtidad, the anvil desert, sits the jewel of the world, the city of Zhayalammar. It is the ancient city of invention, horror, passion, and sorcery.

The Narrative * City Map * Roll20 * Character Status * Lands Around Zhayalahmar * Known Power Groups * Gossamer House * Current Map * The Scoreboard


3,451 to 3,500 of 3,810 << first < prev | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | next > last >>

male (he/him)
Zahra al Asmar wrote:
Thanks for this different perspective! It helps me to visualize the space. Can Zahra see the magical aura? If so, I’d like to try to identify it even though her thinking isn’t so good :)

Yes - you can see the pit and the flloor after the pit gives off an aura. The kn arcana DC is 19 to identify the school of magic.


male (he/him)

Sorry - DC18


Human Draconic Sorcerer/3 | HP 20/20 | Init +2 | AC14/F12/T13 | Mage armor AC18 | F+2 R+3 W+3 | Perc +4 SM +0 | Active Conditions: Mage Armor | Spells per day: 1st 2/6 | Claws: 6/7rounds | SMB 7; SMD 17

k arcana,DC18: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4

swing and a huge miss :(


HP 24/24 | AC 16/14/12 | F+3/R+6/W+2 | CMB +1, CMD 15 | Acro 10, climb 5, DD 13, EA 10, Init 6, Perc 7, SoH 8, SM 1, Stealth 10, Surv 8

Thanks for the second image, I was confused about where the smooth tile was and where the rough stone was.

Dounia was a single step in the room when she noticed the hairline cracks in the mortar between the tiles. "There's definitely something up with this floor. It's smooth and tiled, and the other side of the pit isn't. They took care with this side for a reason. I think the tiles must break away, or fall, or do something to make the unwary need to jump into the glass. Or maybe even launches them into the glass." She thought hard about stories she'd heard and books she'd read...had she ever heard about this sort of trap before?

knowledge dungeoneering: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7

Grunting with disgust at herself, Dounia takes out her tools and squats down. Feeling safe with the rope in Tymythy's hands, she begins fiddling with the nearest tile. If it was a trap, there was a way to disarm it.

disable device: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (17) + 13 = 30


male (he/him)

Dounia carefully removed the tile nearest her. Underneath it was the corner of some sort of metal plate. A pressure plate? All pressure plates need a seam. Hiding it in plain sight as cracks in the mortar was a bit slippery.

At least four other tiles were on this same plate. She looked up from her work removing the first tile and this side of the gap was covered in tiles. The grout was troubled with cracks.

Was this plate the only one?


"Tymythy, trade places with me." Cairee slid past him so she was behind Dounia. She placed a hand on the thief's shoulder and muttered her familiar prayer for guidance. Then she crouched down and tried to get a look at the tiles. She could see the edge of the plate under a few of the tiles. She scanned over the other tiles. Was there any way to tell what ones had plates under them? A slight discolouration perhaps? Or did some sit a little higher than the others?

Perception to assist Dounia: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18


Human Ranger 2 / Fighter 1 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMD: 16 | F: +7 R: +5 W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7 SM: +1 | SMB: +3, SMD: 14
Cairee Featherfriend wrote:
"Tymythy, trade places with me."

”I’ll do what I can – not many places for me to stand to have a chance of holding a weight at the end of the rope if something bad happens at the edge,” Tymythy said, doing his best to make room for Cairee to pass while still keeping a secure footing, expecting a sudden heavy pull on the rope he was holding. And while he moved aside, his attention was caught by something in the wall around the small opening to the room with the gap and the invisible wall. Stones of slightly different color, set in a line along the top of the door frame. But as to what they signified…

”Something here,” he told the others. ”Stones of a different hue, set in a pattern around this small doorway.”


male (he/him)

The area of discolouration

A long glance revealed Tymythy was right. There was an area of the arch that was a different colour but painted very cunningly to look like the rest of the rough stone.


HP 24/24 | AC 16/14/12 | F+3/R+6/W+2 | CMB +1, CMD 15 | Acro 10, climb 5, DD 13, EA 10, Init 6, Perc 7, SoH 8, SM 1, Stealth 10, Surv 8

Dounia whistled in appreciation at the cunningness with which the trap was laid. "This was sneaky. And no way to know how many there are without taking the time to check each tile."

Tymythy-son-of-Stywyrt wrote:

”Something here,” he told the others. ”Stones of a different hue, set in a pattern around this small doorway.”

"Oh good! Maybe it's a way to disable the plates." Dounia wiggled back and slipped into the narrow hallway. It was so tight they had to keep jostling for position.

Looking up at the discoloured area, she tried to figure out what it was, and if it was connected to the plates.

perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21
disable device: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (16) + 13 = 29 In case she can figure out what it is.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Human Draconic Sorcerer/3 | HP 20/20 | Init +2 | AC14/F12/T13 | Mage armor AC18 | F+2 R+3 W+3 | Perc +4 SM +0 | Active Conditions: Mage Armor | Spells per day: 1st 2/6 | Claws: 6/7rounds | SMB 7; SMD 17

There was such a narrow opening that Zahra kept back and out of the way. She watched in awe as the other three worked. How did they know what to look for and how to look for it? She tried to make mental notes of how they pieced things together but she had a feeling that it would slip her mind. Things just never seemed to stick in her mind very long.

"You guys are doing awesome! Dounia, I can't believe you found those plates in the floor, and Tymythy that was a good catch with the discolouration. You guys are amazing."

I'm pretty sure that Zahra can't help so she'll stand back and cheer :)


Human Ranger 2 / Fighter 1 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMD: 16 | F: +7 R: +5 W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7 SM: +1 | SMB: +3, SMD: 14

Mostly waiting for results of Dounia’s efforts, since Tymythy’s next plan would be to start pushing those coloured tiles at random to see what happens ;^)

Dounia Mehar Mehek Ghali wrote:
"Oh good! Maybe it's a way to disable the plates." Dounia wiggled back and slipped into the narrow hallway. It was so tight they had to keep jostling for position.

”Way to do something, I hope,” Tymythy said, moving back to give Dounia room to examine the stones. If there was one of them who could figure out what they were – short of experimenting, possibly to their peril – it was Dounia. ”If these will defuse the loose tiles you found, or get rid of that invisible wall, I’ll be pleasantly surprised. But having seen some of the tricks of this place, it might not be that simple.”


HP 24/24 | AC 16/14/12 | F+3/R+6/W+2 | CMB +1, CMD 15 | Acro 10, climb 5, DD 13, EA 10, Init 6, Perc 7, SoH 8, SM 1, Stealth 10, Surv 8

Ugh, finally! Site's been acting up since Thursday!

Dounia stared at the discolouration, then muttered, "That's not stone." She began chipping away at what turned out to be plaster, revealing a narrow opening. Squinting up into the darkness, Dounia said, "A concealed door, or gate, or something. I bet that triggering the pressure plate would make it come down. Then we'd be separated. That's probably why this door is so narrow, to funnel us through and then split us up when we step on the plate." She took a piton from the climbing pack and jammed it up in the mechanism. "There, that should keep it from coming down. But it doesn't solve the plates. Zahra, could you grab one of those fake yous please? We need to trigger this thing safely."

The strong sorceress dragged a fake Zahra past the pit and down the sloping hall. Dounia got out of her way, and watched as Zahra and Tymythy worked together in the small space to half-throw, half-slide the corpse onto the pressure plate.


male (he/him)

nice
It all happened fast. The grey creature hit the plate. The gate in the newly exposed slot tried to close but was jammed by the piton. There was a sound in the walls.

chiks-chicka-chicka-cachunk

Then everyone felt like they were moving backwards as the walls about them, released by some hidden mechanism, slid down the slope. Enough stone came free, the entire width of the room and ten feet deep, to slide forward and fall into the gap completely filling it. The rumbling was like an earthquake. The glass barrier was smashed along the way. The final crash as the stone filled the pit made everyone dizzy and their ears rang for several minutes.

It appeared to be a clear walk over to the far door.

On examination of the aftermath, the pit was ten feet further away than it first appeared.


HP 24/24 | AC 16/14/12 | F+3/R+6/W+2 | CMB +1, CMD 15 | Acro 10, climb 5, DD 13, EA 10, Init 6, Perc 7, SoH 8, SM 1, Stealth 10, Surv 8

Dounia stared at the aftermath in shock. "Holy s!+#!" she swore softly under her breath. There were traps, and then there were traps. This wasn't meant to catch somebody, this was meant to annihilate them. If one of them had been caught on the other side of that gate...it would have been over. She had a moment of profound empathy for the dwarves. She couldn't imagine having to go on and complete the challenge if Zahra, or Cairee, or Tymythy had just died here.

"I assume that magic you sensed was the illusion about the pit?" she asked Zahra. "If that's the case, then we should be good to cross. I can't imagine any secondary traps would have survived that first one."

She carefully made her way across the rubble, which settled uneasily underfoot. Still shaking a little, she waited for Cairee to whisper the now familiar prayer for guidance, then carefully began to check out the next door.

perc: 1d20 + 8 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 8 + 1 = 12

That was BRUTAL


male (he/him)

The trap was simple when the first team went through. This room gets more complex with each team and you are team 3.

There was no sign of a remaining trap and the next door was neither baited nor locked.


Human Draconic Sorcerer/3 | HP 20/20 | Init +2 | AC14/F12/T13 | Mage armor AC18 | F+2 R+3 W+3 | Perc +4 SM +0 | Active Conditions: Mage Armor | Spells per day: 1st 2/6 | Claws: 6/7rounds | SMB 7; SMD 17

@Corey: you are blowing my mind by how you are able to increase the challenge level in a logical way because that is a lot of work and the attention to detail is phenomenal!

Zahra felt like she was having an out-of-body experience as she dragged something that looked like her down the hallway. She worked with Tymythy to get a good toss and soon a body that looked like her was flying through the air. The sorceress watched with wide eyes and an open mouth as the trap was triggered. She couldn't even comprehend how much that would have hurt if she'd gotten caught in it before surely dying. It was in this moment that the possible lethality of the challenges became very real to Zahra.

Very slowly, Zahra began to follow Dounia. To be on the safe side, Zahra looked for any residual magic when Dounia mentioned it.

Casting Detect Magic

"I hope that's the end of this challenge. I think we've all had enough for today," Zahra murmured as she approached the rubble. "I take it it's safe to cross?"


male (he/him)

Zahra looked the room over trying to attune herself to the secret vibrations and aura of magic but there was none. The illusion of the mis-position of the pit was gone. The door ahead read as mundane. The Blackbirds crossed the floor to the door without misadventure. Dounia could find no trap on the exit and tried the door.

Zahra didn't get her wish. There was another hall. The hall sang with magic.

kn arcana DC16:
conjuration magic

It was like the others. Ten feet wide and twenty feet long. Carved into the centre of the floor was the image of a metal glove.

perception DC12:
Some of the wall stones have engravings of hands on them giving different 'signs'.

if your perception check succeeded roll kn local DC18:
The hands are different and depict different unarmed strike fist types: spear hand, tiger claw, knife hand, eagle claw, etc.

if your perception check was 18+:
The wall on the opposite side of the engraving is slightly damaged


Human Ranger 2 / Fighter 1 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMD: 16 | F: +7 R: +5 W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7 SM: +1 | SMB: +3, SMD: 14

”Spirits preserve anyone who found himself in front of all that,” Tymythy swore with a feeling, once the dust settled and they could watch in awe at Dounia’s handiwork.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24 Assuming that knowledge cannot be unskilled...

Once Dounia deemed the next door safe of traps and opened it to reveal another short hallway the Blackbirds crowded by the door, Zahra murmuring another invocation and peering intently forward – even the magic-averse Tymythy was getting used enough to assume she was trying to puzzle out the presence and nature of lingering enchantments. As it seemed prudent to wait for a few heartbeats for her verdict before moving forward Tymythy did what he could, which in this case was settling on his haunches and looking.

”Markings on the wall,” he said after a moment. ”Letter. Signs. Sigils? And there? On the opposite side, markings on the wall. But not intentional carvings – signs of damage. Are those some mystical traps that trigger by passing them without proper preparation?”


male (he/him)

Yes, the kn-local is skilled only


Cairee was still studying the tiles on the floor when Zahra and Tymythy asked her politely to move. She turned around to see them carrying the muddy remains of a fake Zahra. The cleric shuddered and stepped back. She looked away as they tossed it onto the plate. The whole room rumbled like an earthquake, and Cairee was certain they were about to be swept into the pit. But when the rumbling stopped the pit was full, and they were all still standing.

She grabbed Dounia into a hug. "Well done!" she cried. Dounia squirmed free. "D'uh," she said, but Cairee could see a little smile as the thief turned away.

Spell Craft: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11
Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
Know Local: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19

She followed the others into the next door, and stared in dismay at the hallway behind it. She prayed to Saiph to reveal its secrets, but while it pulsed with magic she could not tell what kind.

Tymythy wrote:
”Markings on the wall,” he said after a moment. ”Letter. Signs. Sigils? And there? On the opposite side, markings on the wall. But not intentional carvings – signs of damage. Are those some mystical traps that trigger by passing them without proper preparation?”

Cairee looked at the hand markings. They brought back memories of the combat training her parents had forced on her as a young child. "I think they're depicting different unarmed strike fist types. Look there, that's a spear hand, and that one looks like a tiger claw. Over there, is that eagle claw? And maybe knife hand?"


HP 24/24 | AC 16/14/12 | F+3/R+6/W+2 | CMB +1, CMD 15 | Acro 10, climb 5, DD 13, EA 10, Init 6, Perc 7, SoH 8, SM 1, Stealth 10, Surv 8

perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8

Dounia stared at the third trap room with confusion. This one just looked like a room. A plain room with a big stupid glove carved into the middle. What was that for? Was this another fighting room? She didn't think Cairee had enough power left to heal them very much.

So intent was she on the image of the glove that she didn't see anything else in the room.


male (he/him)

Dounia - crit fail means a -1 to saves or AC in this hall


HP 24/24 | AC 16/14/12 | F+3/R+6/W+2 | CMB +1, CMD 15 | Acro 10, climb 5, DD 13, EA 10, Init 6, Perc 7, SoH 8, SM 1, Stealth 10, Surv 8

As Tymythy pointed out the sigils carved into the walls, and the signs of damage on the wall, Dounia squinted to make out what he was seeing. Damn, that really rattled me. I'd better pull myself together if we're going to get out of here.

perception: 1d20 + 8 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 8 + 1 = 20 . Guidance please!

She held out a hand for Cairee to give her that familiar Saiph boost, then stared at the sigils and the marks on the wall, trying to puzzle out how they were connected.


Human Draconic Sorcerer/3 | HP 20/20 | Init +2 | AC14/F12/T13 | Mage armor AC18 | F+2 R+3 W+3 | Perc +4 SM +0 | Active Conditions: Mage Armor | Spells per day: 1st 2/6 | Claws: 6/7rounds | SMB 7; SMD 17

k.arcana,DC16: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9
perception,DC12: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16
k.local,DC18: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23
Why couldn't the natural 20 be on k.arcana? :P

Zahra could see the hallway radiating with magic but as usual, she couldn't remember enough of her lessons to know what kind of magic was present.

Even though she didn't fight in a conventional way, Zahra recognized the things that Cairee and Tymythy pointed out just seconds before she would have.

How is it that that information stuck in my head but I can't dissect the magical schools I'm reading from an aura?

"I don't know what it all means but I would think that we're in for fighting whatever this trap is."


Human Ranger 2 / Fighter 1 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMD: 16 | F: +7 R: +5 W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7 SM: +1 | SMB: +3, SMD: 14

About those marked stones… are the only a few here and there, or a remarkable number? I was wondering if it was possible to try and limbo one’s way through the hallways without bringing one’s body in line with the marked tiles (and the damaged tiles on the corresponding wall?)

But, since other ideas aren’t forthcoming, to avoid slowing down too much, let’s give my assumption a go. If there is no chance under high heavens to manage it do point it out to me – Tymyhty spotted those stones so he would have the information.

Acrobatics, walk the corridor without cutting imaginary laser beams: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24

”We can’t wait here forever, so I will risk it,” Tymyhty said, having spent a few moments fixing the position of those marked times to his mind. Perhaps there was a way to pass them without triggering whatever had caused those scars on the opposite wall, perhaps there wasn’t… but his attempt might give the ladies more information, even if he was to pay for the knowledge in blood.

Moving lightly, Tymythy stepped into the hallway, eyes fixed on the closest tile, considering whether to try to jump over it or to crouch down to crawl under, assuming for the moment the sigils themselves would react to his presence if he passed them.


male (he/him)

There are three hand carvings every five feet. You can use acrobatics to avoid the attack as if the hands had a CMD15.

Tymythy crossed three quarters of the hall with a great deal of effort and what looked like ease. Every time he attempted to leave an area where the walls were marked with hand/fist markings the stone formed into a monks unarmed strike attack. The strike was propelled by a column of stone behind it to strike at the young spearman.

Again and again the fists missed and struck the wall opposite with the sound of stone smashing stone.

Within a heartbeat, each 'hand' retracted to the wall where they reformed into engravings.

The hall is 20' long. Tymythy made it to the fifteen foot mark. One more roll like that to get across.

edit- nevermind. you can cross the floor as a full round action. No second roll needed.


HP 24/24 | AC 16/14/12 | F+3/R+6/W+2 | CMB +1, CMD 15 | Acro 10, climb 5, DD 13, EA 10, Init 6, Perc 7, SoH 8, SM 1, Stealth 10, Surv 8

Dounia watched Tymythy cross with a slowly spreading grin. When he made it across, she started to clap. "Woohoo! Amazing!"

She was pretty sure she could get across, but wasn't so sure about the others. Now that she knew what the trap was, jamming them shouldn't be too hard.

Grabbing a handful of rock chips from the room behind them, she approached the first marked stone carefully, examining it to see how to disable it.

disarm device: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (19) + 13 = 32

Even with the column of stone propelling the "fist" outwards, it was still relatively easy to wedge a few rock shards into the edges, effectively jamming them. Even if the force was strong enough to burst them free, it should slow the mechanism down long enough to let everybody get across.

Is that roll good enough for the room, or do you want a roll for each trap? The idea is to get the others to run together across the room.


Human Ranger 2 / Fighter 1 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMD: 16 | F: +7 R: +5 W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7 SM: +1 | SMB: +3, SMD: 14

Sweet. Not quite what I thought but close enough. Now, the question is, do we all have to run the gauntlet or is there something on the far side to defuse the trap?

The first time the stones that formed the wall became animate and launched a punch at him, Tymythy came all too close to freezing in sheer surprise. He had expected arrows or spears being launched at him… and he had thought he had avoided what would trigger such traps. But instincts saved him, and the hunter leaned backwards enough for the back of his head to lightly kiss the floor, before rolling away smartly from the path of a follow-up chop from another “hand”.

Now forewarned, he abandoned the futile effort of avoiding triggers he could not see and focused entirely on slipping past sudden attacks. But here, at least, there was something familiar. It wasn't entirely dissimilar to training with his clan’s veteran hunters and warriors, where a group of them followed a young student around, taking turns to thrust the butts of their spears at him, while the others did their best to distract the student, to keep him guessing from which direction the next blow was to come.

Tymythy found himself smiling as he danced past the onslaught of blows, here using his usriev as a pole to vault over a low sweep of a strike, there diving forward to roll beneath a horizontal swing, only to stop his momentum just in time for yet another pillar-fist of stone whoosh in front of his head, close enough for him to feel the wind of its passage on his face. Yet he never paused for more than a single beat of his heart, every move flowing smoothly into the next… until he found himself at the far end of the passage… almost sorry the exhilarating challenge was over.


male (he/him)
Dounia Mehar Mehek Ghali wrote:
Is that roll good enough for the room, or do you want a roll for each trap? The idea is to get the others to run together across the room.

PMing you


2 people marked this as a favorite.
HP 24/24 | AC 16/14/12 | F+3/R+6/W+2 | CMB +1, CMD 15 | Acro 10, climb 5, DD 13, EA 10, Init 6, Perc 7, SoH 8, SM 1, Stealth 10, Surv 8

Dounia worked carefully at the first marked stone with her tools, trying to find a way to disarm the flying fist. Her plan had been to try and use shards of rock to wedge the punching stone in place. However, a big chunk of the surrounding stone came out, allowing her a peek at the mechanism inside. "Wait a second! What's this?"

She dug around some more, creating a bigger gap. "Hey Zahra, could I have some light?" She waited for the sorceress to make a small stone shine, then she thrust it into the gap so she could see the inner workings. "Wow! This is so simple, it doesn't seem like it should work at all. I guess it's the magic. So if I take this, and turn it this way...."

Suddenly Dounia thrust her leg outwards and waved it in front of the stone. The monk's fist flew across the room, and Dounia's hands worked furiously. The stone retracted, and the column of stone made a horrible grinding and thunking sound as it went back into place. The marked stone, instead of being flush with the wall, was now inset several inches.

Grinning, Dounia said, "Watch this!" The she walked casually and stood in front of the first stone.

Before Cairee had time to shout at her, the trap triggered. But instead of shooting across the room, the hand flew perpendicularly, within the wall. A series of loud crashes echoed through the wall, as each supporting stone column was broken by the flying stony fist. One by one, the marked stones toppled harmlessly to the floor, as their supporting stone columns were smashed.

Finally the rumbling and smashing sounds ended, and all the marked stones were lying on the gauntlet marked floor. Turning to the others, Dounia grinned and said, "I think I broke it." She then walked safely across the room to join Tymythy.

Hope that makes sense!


male (he/him)

That’s downright joyful! Thanks for that


Human Draconic Sorcerer/3 | HP 20/20 | Init +2 | AC14/F12/T13 | Mage armor AC18 | F+2 R+3 W+3 | Perc +4 SM +0 | Active Conditions: Mage Armor | Spells per day: 1st 2/6 | Claws: 6/7rounds | SMB 7; SMD 17
Dounia wrote:
"I think I broke it."

Zahra beamed at her friend, "Yeah you did! That was stupendous. I can practically hear the cheers in the stadium, the crowd chanting your name."

Then she grabbed Cairee's hand, "Our turn."

The sorceress practically skipped down the length of the room towards Dounia and Tymythy. "Ours may not have been as entertaining as Tymythy's or as destructive as Dounia's but that doesn't mean we can't have some fun."

Following :)


Cairee had watched in amazement as Tymythy danced past the stone fists erupting from the wall. The power behind the attacks looked like enough to turn a body into jelly. Was there any chance they could all be so lucky in their crossing? The cleric worried she didn't have enough power left to save anyone who took a hit. Perhaps they could trigger each attack and then slip by when it was resetting? Or- wait, what was Dounia doing?!

The young thief was already at the first trap, tinkering with the mechanisms. Before Cairee could shout her customary warning, the wall was crumbling. What just happened? Zahra grabbed her hand and pulled her across the room. Cairee scrambled to keep up, looking at the destroyed wall in amazement as they skipped by it. "Dounia! You're astonishing!"

The four crowded around the door at the other end of the hall. Please let this lead back to the arena, Cairee thought. Though if it were, it was likely a last challenge to get through. She took a moment to mutter her prayer of help for Dounia, then focused on the door. "Gica Mtce Ted,"

She casts guidance on Dounia, and detect magic on the door.


Human Ranger 2 / Fighter 1 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMD: 16 | F: +7 R: +5 W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7 SM: +1 | SMB: +3, SMD: 14

”Impressive,” Tymythy added his voice to the praise for Dounia’s skill. He had first stopped his own efforts to look for some button or lever on the far side of the trap field to disable them for the others, but when Dounia began her own approach he had turned to watch, first in trepidation, then in fascination as she avoided being hit and began tinkering with the trap… then smiled in pleasure as she managed to turn the trap against itself, enjoying the brief but intense display of destruction.


HP 24/24 | AC 16/14/12 | F+3/R+6/W+2 | CMB +1, CMD 15 | Acro 10, climb 5, DD 13, EA 10, Init 6, Perc 7, SoH 8, SM 1, Stealth 10, Surv 8

Dounia basked in everybody's praise for a few seconds, and imagined the crowd in the stands going wild. Time's ticking! Cyra's voice reminded her, and she turned her attention to what she hoped was the final door.

percep: 1d20 + 8 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 8 + 1 = 13


male (he/him)

The door at the other end of the hall didn't read as magical and there were no traps in sight. Dounia risked opening the door and everyone's shoulders fell a little as it opened into yet another room.

A large octagonal stone room.

The ceiling was domed. At the top of each wall where they met the dome were three gargoyles. At the top of the dome was an iron grate, square and about five feet along every side.

On the floor directly under the grate was something that looked like a square well with only slightly raised sides.


Cairee shook off her disappointment at yet another room. She held her concentration, looking for any signs of magical auras.


male (he/him)

Octagonal Room


male (he/him)

There was a faint blue aura on the wall opposite the door Cairee looked through. The aura was close to but not involving the gargoyles.

Kn Arcana DC16:
illusion (glamer)


HP 24/24 | AC 16/14/12 | F+3/R+6/W+2 | CMB +1, CMD 15 | Acro 10, climb 5, DD 13, EA 10, Init 6, Perc 7, SoH 8, SM 1, Stealth 10, Surv 8

Dounia stared into the room, eyes wide. With no other exits, that meant they would be leaving through the well, or the grate. "Do you think those gargoyle guys are going to come to life and fly down and attack us? Or maybe we have to ride them up to the grate! I wonder what's down that well. I wonder if it's safe to enter."

She looked carefully at the doorframe and the floor directly in front of it, to see if stepping in the room would trigger a trap.

perc: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28


HP 24/24 | AC 16/14/12 | F+3/R+6/W+2 | CMB +1, CMD 15 | Acro 10, climb 5, DD 13, EA 10, Init 6, Perc 7, SoH 8, SM 1, Stealth 10, Surv 8

As she examined the door, she noticed that there was no handle, no lock, nothing on the other side. "Uh-oh" She checked the further, and her suspicions were confirmed. "This thing is on a timer. Once we're in the room, it'll close after 12 seconds. No way to open it. I should be able to jam it open, let's see..."

Dounia kept examining the door, and noticed that there was a rubber-based seal all around the edges. She ran a finger along it and said, "It's wet." She looked up at the gargoyles again and said, "They don't attack! I bet they pour water into this room. Then it fills up, and we have to swim and then open the gate. But if we can't, then we drown. Or maybe something nasty comes out of that well."

She grabs a few of marked stones that had broken off and fallen into the room, and used them to hold the door open. As she worked, she said, "Tymythy, can you grab the grappling hook, and see if you can hook the grate? We should see if that's our exit. Magic ladies? Anything we should know?"

Disable device to prop door open: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (5) + 13 = 18


Human Ranger 2 / Fighter 1 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMD: 16 | F: +7 R: +5 W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7 SM: +1 | SMB: +3, SMD: 14
Dounia Mehar Mehek Ghali wrote:
"Tymythy, can you grab the grappling hook, and see if you can hook the grate? We should see if that's our exit. Magic ladies? Anything we should know?"

”Without entering the room? It’ll be a bit of a trick, but I will try,” Tymythy said, frowning as he gauged the distance as he accepted the climbing kit’s rope from Zahra’s enchanted bag. Nodding his thanks, he pooled out a length of the rope he gauged to be enough, to get all the kinks out, set his forward foot just outside the limit of the doorway Dounia was busy jamming with rocks hammered into the hinges, murmured a quick prayer to any spirit willing to lend him some luck, put one foot on the end of the rope and began swinging.

Attack(?) roll to throw the hook to the grate above: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26 Here we go again with these nat 20s ;^)

A few seconds later he let go and watched in satisfaction as the hook flew true, slipping past bars of the gate barely touching them. A quick tug of the rope and the hook was securely fastened.


Human Ranger 2 / Fighter 1 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMD: 16 | F: +7 R: +5 W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7 SM: +1 | SMB: +3, SMD: 14

Just to be sure... how small is the well on the floor? Another option of getting out of the room (although if Dounia's guess about the water pouring down perhaps very risky in any case) or is it clearly too small for an adult to fit in? (perhaps there just to balance how long it will take until the room fills in completely)


male (he/him)

From the door it has some of the appearance of a well but there is no guarantee that is what it is. The opening is about 2’ wide.


HP 24/24 | AC 16/14/12 | F+3/R+6/W+2 | CMB +1, CMD 15 | Acro 10, climb 5, DD 13, EA 10, Init 6, Perc 7, SoH 8, SM 1, Stealth 10, Surv 8

Anybody want to climb the rope, so we can see what's in the well without stepping in the room? Dounia is happy to do it, but I want to give others a chance first.


Human Ranger 2 / Fighter 1 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMD: 16 | F: +7 R: +5 W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7 SM: +1 | SMB: +3, SMD: 14

It might be dangerous (well, more hazardous than standing here where we are) so Tymythy would be all for taking the risk rather than the ladies, but if there's something to do up there, it's most likely going to be either figuring how to get the grate open (all Dounia, most likely) or sensing what magic there is to see (Cairee's and Zahra's turf), so Tymythy might be the least useful person to go.


Human Draconic Sorcerer/3 | HP 20/20 | Init +2 | AC14/F12/T13 | Mage armor AC18 | F+2 R+3 W+3 | Perc +4 SM +0 | Active Conditions: Mage Armor | Spells per day: 1st 2/6 | Claws: 6/7rounds | SMB 7; SMD 17

Zahra had no idea what to make of the new room. She glanced up and saw the gargoyles. She thought that they looked like funnels, right as Dounia felt the wetness around the door and stated that they most likely poured water into the room. "I hope that all that comes out of them is water.". But even then, she had grown up in the desert so swimming in anything would be challenging. Was she strong enough to survive this? If only she was powerful enough to freeze the water. Then they wouldn't have to struggle.

The sorceress did what she could to help by focusing on whatever magic existed in the room and once again try to determine what it was.

She will detect magic so she can see the auras so she can make a k.arcana roll

k.arcana,DC16: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10

She could see the blue aura on the opposite wall but could discern what it meant. Pointing to where she saw the aura, she said, "I can see a faint aura over there but it makes no sense to me. Why there?"

Zahra smiled as Tymythy heaved the grappling hook and it found its mark. "No offense, Tymythy, but I would have lost that bet. That was impressive."

Zahra's not the best at climbing so I don't think it would make sense for her to climb unless absolutely necessary.

"Dounia, propping the door open is a really good idea. Hopefully that will inactivate the timer. Or at least keep the room from flooding."


Know. Arcana: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20

Cairee's stood behind Dounia and Tymythy, ignoring their activity while she focused her attention on the wall across from them. There was a faint blue aura that didn't have anything to do with the gargoyles. "There's some kind of illusion on that wall," she told the others. "I wonder if there's really a door there. Or, perhaps, another trap. Do you think we should throw something at it? Or ignore it and try to get to the grate?"

Corey says the room is 55 feet across.

Cairee is a terrible climber, but will guidance whoever goes.


Human Ranger 2 / Fighter 1 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMD: 16 | F: +7 R: +5 W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7 SM: +1 | SMB: +3, SMD: 14

Well, it's either Tymythy or Dounia in that case. Wanna I do them rolls? Or Dounia go see if there's some mechanism to unlock the grate?


Human Ranger 2 / Fighter 1 | HP: 29/29 | AC: 16 (13 Tch, 13 Fl) | CMD: 16 | F: +7 R: +5 W: +1 | Init: +3 | Perc: +7 SM: +1 | SMB: +3, SMD: 14

”Illusion? That sounds plausible – fill room with water, everyone’s attention is focused on the obvious, the grate up high and the well below… but neither is built to open,” Tymythy murmured, his hands busy hammering in a piton to the floor a couple paces away from the door Dounia was busy forcing open, so that he could tighten the rope for a climbing attempt. ”All the while, the crowd watching through those viewing portals place bets on who will drown first, who will push down their party member for a spot by the grate where they can get a breath.”

”The rope is ready. If you want, I can go take a look,” he said, looking at Dounia as Cairee and Zahra made their shook their heads to decline the offer to be the first one in.

3,451 to 3,500 of 3,810 << first < prev | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Ærde: Lost and Found in the City of Wonders All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.