[PFS / GameDay8 / GMGlyn]6-07 Valley of Veiled Flame (Inactive)

Game Master GHembree

Correct Map and Handout


1 to 50 of 201 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Grand Lodge

Please make a dot-post using the character alias to start tracking. (note you can delete the post without affecting the tracking and to reduce post clutter.)

Scarab Sages

Female LG follower of Sarenrae | human (actually mostly human Ifrit) | freckles, sweet, naive, fierce personality in battle) | Outsider (Native), Humanoid (human) | Swashbuckler 4, Paladin 2 | HP 60/60 | AC 22 T 17 FF 15 | CMB +13 (Disarm, Trip, Sunder), CMD 20 | F: +12, R: +15, W: +7 | Init: +12 | Perc: +1, SM: -3, Dipl.: + 10 | LoH 6/6 | Panache 5/5 (Plume 1/1) | Reroll 1/1 | Darkvision 60ft | Speed 30ft | Resistances: Elec. 4, Acid 2, Fire 4, Cold 1 Active conditions: none

Setare seems to be quite nervous and looks around. She is a scrawny girl with auburn hair and amber eyes.

Her features seem Chelaxian but also have something else mixed in.

She is wearing a brown adventuring outfit, a light mithral chain shirt, has a plume on her head and carries a fine scimitar at her hip that is attached to her wrist with a very fine chain.

Around her neck a pendant with the holy symbol of Sarenrae is clearly visible.

"Hel ... Hello ... everybody ... " Setare says with a quivering voice.

Then she focuses on the group of Pathfinders.

"Ehhh ... it is ... you know ... it is nice meeting you." and then looks away.

Dark Archive

Female CN Tiefling Pistolero 1/ Spellslinger Wizard 1/Myrmidarch Magus 3 | HP 26/39 | AC 18/T 13/FF 15 | CMB +2, CMD 15 | F: +8, R: +7, W: +8 | Init: +6 | Perc: +10, SM: +3 | Speed 30ft | Arcane Pool 2/5 | Grit 2/2 |Active conditions: Longshot |
Spells:
Wiz 1st Grease,Mudball Magus 0th Acid Splash,Light,Detect Magic 1st Burning Hands,Longshot,Snowball

Sorry about that, wrong character.
Naevys looks up and smiles slightly. She talks very, very fast and in a crisp, clipped tone as she comes forward to greet Setare. She is obviously a tiefling, with small, vestigal wings, horns poking out from her hat, and a long flexible tail poking out the back of her coat. Nice to meet you, I'm Naevys. You are a cleric of Sarenrae, I take it?

Sovereign Court

1 person marked this as a favorite.
CN Dwarf Rogue 7

Think you're posting with the wrong PC, Phil. You're too high a level for this scenario =)
Think you meant to be on Naevys

Grand Lodge

Please make an introductory post which includes a description of your character if you haven’t already and feel free to interact with each other. Game officially starts Monday 9th

As Pathfinders you have been required to report to the Pathfinder lodge in Katherine, the capital of Qadira to meet with Venture-Captain Esmayl bin Qaradi for an important mission.

You group is gathering in the lodge’s entrance way enjoying a cool breeze around a bubbling fountain before being shown into the VCs office for your mission briefing.

Grand Lodge

Male Human (Azlanti) Bard (Duettist) 6 | HP 45/45 | AC 18, T 11, FF 17 CMD 13 | Fort +6, Ref +8, Will +7 | Init +8(9)* | Perc +9 | SM +17* | Spells Remaining: level 1 4/5 level 2 1/3 | Bardic Performance Rounds 7/16

Constantin strides into the room, bearing a neatly furled flag in one hand. He's a young man, standing a few inches too tall to look healthy with his slight frame. His strong widow's peak, prominent eyebrows, and intensely violet gaze make his heritage plain to all who would see it, and the soft robes he wears beneath his armor do nothing to spoil the look.

He greets his new allies with a grave nod, and an encouraging pronouncement,
"I'm sure the work we do this day will earn
a place of honor in the Chronicles.
Oh -
Constantin the Azlant is my name."

Grand Lodge

You wait in the entranceway around the bubbling fountain is brief as your group is shown to a large office where Venture-Captain Esmayl ibn Qaradi sits behind his immaculately clean desk with his head in his hands. He sighs, takes a deep breath, and rises to address his guests.

“Originally, I wasn’t planning on sending a team back out to the Zho Mountains. The risk of losing another team is, frankly, too high. If that weren’t enough of a reason, the Society’s assault on the Worldwound has left the lodge’s coffers much lighter too light to fund another expedition into dangerous territory so soon. However, following some conversations with fellow agents, I am reminded that all Pathfinders must come home no matter the cost, no matter the danger. The lessons of the Shadow Lodge still resonate.”

He nods toward a Pathfinder who stands silently in the corner. “In fact, the recent disappearance in the Zho Mountains has brought a surge of monetary support from the onetime disciples of Grandmaster Torch. It was enough to finance your voyage here, and I would happily provide you the remainder if you succeed.”

The venture-captain takes a few steps toward a map of Qadira hanging from his wall. “Six years ago, a team of Pathfinders received a map of an unexplored area in the Zho Mountains, and ever since they have stayed busy surveying the region and sending me updates. Until recently, they had uncovered only a few dozen small sites and a plethora of new plant and animal species, but their most recent update referenced a large illusory barrier. Since then we have not heard from them, and I believe they found something dangerous beyond.”

“I ask that you use what notes I have on file to track down these agents and make sure they return safely. Investigating the nature of this illusory... field, barrier, shield... is secondary at best.” Esmayl pauses for a moment before continuing. “If you have any questions, I shall answer them as best I can, though most of what the Society knows about the mountains is in the logbooks of those agents.”

Knowledge (geography) DC15:
Although the mountains rarely more than 2 miles high, they are nonetheless a formidable barrier between
Qadira’s Ketz and Meraz Deserts.

Knowledge (geography) DC20+:
Two of the most famous peaks are Zhonar and Zhobl, a pair of large volcanoes that violently erupted nearly a thousand years ago.

Knowledge (geography) DC10:
It is common knowledge that the Zho Mountains are home to feral beasts, draconic monsters, and other dangerous creatures.

Knowledge (geography) DC20:
Qadira’s spellcasters have long practiced elemental magic and conjured genies, and geniekin are relatively common in the region. It is believed that most have gravitated toward settlements in the Zho Mountains, though nobody seems able to confirm this rumor.

Knowledge (geography) DC25:
The few explorers who’ve tried to locate these communities have found the mountains to be deceptively difficult to navigate, and what looks like a mountain pass from afar is often merely a mirage.

Dark Archive

Female CN Tiefling Pistolero 1/ Spellslinger Wizard 1/Myrmidarch Magus 3 | HP 26/39 | AC 18/T 13/FF 15 | CMB +2, CMD 15 | F: +8, R: +7, W: +8 | Init: +6 | Perc: +10, SM: +3 | Speed 30ft | Arcane Pool 2/5 | Grit 2/2 |Active conditions: Longshot |
Spells:
Wiz 1st Grease,Mudball Magus 0th Acid Splash,Light,Detect Magic 1st Burning Hands,Longshot,Snowball

Naevys pauses, looking up from the pistol she was sharpening, glancing around at her companions.

I'm not well versed in Geography myself. Anyone else know anything about the area?

She turns back and focuses in on the Venture Captain.

Venture Captain Qaradi, a few things.

Could we have access to the reports filed by the pathfinders? I'd like to know anything you can tell us about the flora and fauna in the area as well as a copy of the map received.

You mentioned Log books. Do we have those, or are they still in the field with the team that disappeared?

What can you tell us about the illusory barrier? I'd like to understand what information we have before we are not in a position to gather additional resources.

Do you have anything else to aid us on our way?

Silver Crusade

Male LN Dwarven Ranger 5 | HP: 49/49 | AC: 19 (13 Tch, 16 Fl) | CMB: +5, CMD: 18 (15 Fl) | F: +7 +6, R: +8 +7, W: +6 +5 | Init: +3 | Perc: +12, SM +6 | Speed 20ft | Active conditions: cloak of resistance +1

Am I right in reading this as two separate Knowledge (geography) checks, one with DCs of 15/20, and one with DCs of 10/20/25?

Knowledge (geography): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17
Knowledge (geography): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20

"I've heard that the Zho Mountains are home to feral beasts, draconic monsters, and other dangerous creatures--like geniekin! Reports unconfirmed, but unconfirmed reports are usually the true ones!"

Grand Lodge

My bad, The first set of Knowledge checks are Geography. The second set is Knowledge Local! Sorry for any inconvenience.

Dark Archive

Female CN Tiefling Pistolero 1/ Spellslinger Wizard 1/Myrmidarch Magus 3 | HP 26/39 | AC 18/T 13/FF 15 | CMB +2, CMD 15 | F: +8, R: +7, W: +8 | Init: +6 | Perc: +10, SM: +3 | Speed 30ft | Arcane Pool 2/5 | Grit 2/2 |Active conditions: Longshot |
Spells:
Wiz 1st Grease,Mudball Magus 0th Acid Splash,Light,Detect Magic 1st Burning Hands,Longshot,Snowball

What! only Human?!! I thought all GMs were gods among men. I'm so disappointed. ;-)

Kn(Local): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (1) + 9 = 10

Well, with that amazing rolling, we get the first one anyway :-)

Silver Crusade

Male LN Dwarven Ranger 5 | HP: 49/49 | AC: 19 (13 Tch, 16 Fl) | CMB: +5, CMD: 18 (15 Fl) | F: +7 +6, R: +8 +7, W: +6 +5 | Init: +3 | Perc: +12, SM +6 | Speed 20ft | Active conditions: cloak of resistance +1

Truddig can't attempt the Knowledge (local) check; disregard his comment about geniekin... you must have hallucinated him saying that!

Silver Crusade

Male CN Half Orc Warpriest of Gorum 7 half-orc| HP: 60/60 | AC: 21 (11 Tch, 20 Fl) | CMB: +10, CMD: 21 | F: +8, R: +4, W: +9 | Init: +3 | Perc: +4, SM: +7 | Speed 30ft | [/ooc] | Spells: 1st 3/2 2nd: 2/2 3rd 1/1 | [ooc]Active conditions: None.

"Oloch didnt know Geografy, Oloch takes agents safe" while he sharps his big sword

Sovereign Court

CN Dwarf Rogue 7

The well-groomed dwarf in the corner remained relatively uninvolved before the Venture-Captain's appearance, dismissing any attempts at chatter with an annoyed offhand wave.

But, once Esmayl ibn Qaradi makes an appearance, his entire demeanor seems to change, as he quickly moves to introduce himself to the VC.

"Baron Smarmy, of Kravenkus." He says, unctuously. "I am truly honored you have asked me on this important mission. Clearly you have gained great wisdom from the past, and I will endeavor to not disappoint and live up to your shining example!"

Knowledge (local): 1d20 + 12 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 12 + 2 = 33

Although he knows a fair bit about where they are headed, he keeps that information to himself for now.

Grand Lodge

Male Human (Azlanti) Bard (Duettist) 6 | HP 45/45 | AC 18, T 11, FF 17 CMD 13 | Fort +6, Ref +8, Will +7 | Init +8(9)* | Perc +9 | SM +17* | Spells Remaining: level 1 4/5 level 2 1/3 | Bardic Performance Rounds 7/16

Constantin sits a moment and quietly confers with his rabbit before he speaks in imperious tones:

"Though th'peaks of Zho lie scarcely two miles high,
Between the Ketz and Meraz none may ply
Their trade lest they be set upon by beasts,
And creatures touched by elemental power.
Or even Genies brought by Kelish wiles
To dwell beneath the twins - Zhonar, Zhobl -
Erupting mountains stilled quite long ago."

Knowledge (geography) (Aid): 1d20 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 + 1 = 13
Knowledge (geography): 1d20 + 8 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 8 + 1 + 2 = 30
Knowledge (local) (Aid): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9
Knowledge (geography): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (9) + 12 = 21

Grand Lodge

Naevys request the pathfinder reports and a copy of the map. She then ask for more details about the illusory barrier.

Truddig scratches his head thinking about the geography and locals.

Oloch comments about agent’s safety as he sharpens his sword.

Smarmy reassures Venture-Captain Esmayl that he will not disappoint him in this mission.

Consulting with his rabbit, Constantin rattles off a list of known geographical features and locals.

The Venture-Captain Esmayl nods, ”Yes I have had the notes and map copied already. Also there have been a few supplies donated from former Shadow Lodge agents.”

The Captain hands over a bag that contains the map, notes, a potion of remove curse, a potion of cure serious wounds, six potions of endure elements, and 2 doses of oil of Taggit.

The first Pathfinder team’s notes and maps provide an incomplete picture of the mountain range and it myriad pathways it will take skill and some time tracking to follow the path they took.

Esmayl shakes his head, ”As for more information about the illusory barrier, unfortunately that was what they were investigating when they disappeared. There last message gave some information about the landmarks and trail they were following when they discovered the illusion and that they were investigating further. ”

The Venture-Captain shugs, ”I wish I had more information for you to go on.”

You can ask more questions of the VC, after which you can purchase any last minute supplies you may need.

After meeting with Esmayl and making any purchases, another agent leading a dozen horses and wearing a wayfinder meets your group. He loans you the horses and offers you luck in the name of the Shadow lodge.

Setting off through the Zoh Mountains

Please make Perceptions and/or Survival checks to spot landmarks and find marks scraped into wind-blasted rock faces left by the first pathfinder party. Also any other actions you may take to help track the missing group path.

Sovereign Court

CN Dwarf Rogue 7

Once the Venture-Captain is no longer with them, Smarmy isn't quite so animated anymore. He still puts on the appearances of being friendly, but it seems a little forced, somehow.

Tracking things through the desert is not quite his forte... but he keeps an eye out, if only to save his own hide if the others screw things up.

Perception: 1d20 + 8 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 8 + 2 = 28

Dark Archive

Female CN Tiefling Pistolero 1/ Spellslinger Wizard 1/Myrmidarch Magus 3 | HP 26/39 | AC 18/T 13/FF 15 | CMB +2, CMD 15 | F: +8, R: +7, W: +8 | Init: +6 | Perc: +10, SM: +3 | Speed 30ft | Arcane Pool 2/5 | Grit 2/2 |Active conditions: Longshot |
Spells:
Wiz 1st Grease,Mudball Magus 0th Acid Splash,Light,Detect Magic 1st Burning Hands,Longshot,Snowball

Naevys will spend 2 prestige on a wand of Endure Elements. Both of her guns are loaded with normal shot/black powder.

Naevys mounts one of the horses and rides up the trail, keeping an eye out for landmarks noted on the map.

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 16

Silver Crusade

Male LN Dwarven Ranger 5 | HP: 49/49 | AC: 19 (13 Tch, 16 Fl) | CMB: +5, CMD: 18 (15 Fl) | F: +7 +6, R: +8 +7, W: +6 +5 | Init: +3 | Perc: +12, SM +6 | Speed 20ft | Active conditions: cloak of resistance +1

Survival, track: 1d20 + 12 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 12 + 2 = 16

"Who can see a trail in dirt and dust! Give me leaves and loam and I'd lead you right there!" Truddig seems frustrated and quite out of his element.

Grand Lodge

Male Human (Azlanti) Bard (Duettist) 6 | HP 45/45 | AC 18, T 11, FF 17 CMD 13 | Fort +6, Ref +8, Will +7 | Init +8(9)* | Perc +9 | SM +17* | Spells Remaining: level 1 4/5 level 2 1/3 | Bardic Performance Rounds 7/16

Are you okay sharing around some wand charges, Naevys? If not I'll pick up a wand as well if you don't mind using it.

As Naevys weaves protections over him and his rabbit, Constantin smiles warmly, "I thank you for the aid this day my friend," but it is clear that his mind is on the hunt!

Constantin Perception: 1d20 + 9 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 9 + 1 = 27
Petros (the bunny) Perception: 1d20 + 10 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 10 + 1 = 13

Knowledge (geography) to make certain we don't go too far off their route? (Bunny Aid): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
Knowledge (geography): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23

Dark Archive

Female CN Tiefling Pistolero 1/ Spellslinger Wizard 1/Myrmidarch Magus 3 | HP 26/39 | AC 18/T 13/FF 15 | CMB +2, CMD 15 | F: +8, R: +7, W: +8 | Init: +6 | Perc: +10, SM: +3 | Speed 30ft | Arcane Pool 2/5 | Grit 2/2 |Active conditions: Longshot |
Spells:
Wiz 1st Grease,Mudball Magus 0th Acid Splash,Light,Detect Magic 1st Burning Hands,Longshot,Snowball

We should use the 6 potions we got first, but yes, I'm totally good with sharing charges. Can toss one on your bunny if needed off the bat.

Silver Crusade

Male CN Half Orc Warpriest of Gorum 7 half-orc| HP: 60/60 | AC: 21 (11 Tch, 20 Fl) | CMB: +10, CMD: 21 | F: +8, R: +4, W: +9 | Init: +3 | Perc: +4, SM: +7 | Speed 30ft | [/ooc] | Spells: 1st 3/2 2nd: 2/2 3rd 1/1 | [ooc]Active conditions: None.

perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8
survival: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10

Grand Lodge

The group makes their way into the Zoh Mountains.

Appearing friendly enough, Smarmy does a good job of keeps an eye out for paths and landmarks left by the first group of pathfinders.

Naevys picks up a wand before leaving Katherine, the capital of Qadira. She rides along side Smarmy looking for landmarks.

Truddig searches for tracks and other marks, but feels out of his elements.

Constantin weaves protections over his rabbit and himself. Constantin is very alert and his rabbit sidekick keeps pointing out better paths.

The quite half orc Warpriest Oloch follows up in the rear looking everywhere and nowhere.

The group follows the trail as best they can as it winds around and over several of the lower peaks, gradually taking them several dozen miles into the Zho Mountains and several thousand feet higher in altitude. The group only loses the trail once causing them to lose about an hour backtracking.

After a few days of travel your group enters an alpine meadow filled with scrub brush and dry grasses that cling to the thin soil and all signs of the first groups’ progress vanish at this point. It appears to be a dead end.

Everyone Will save DC23 :

You see the same scrub filled alpine meadow as the others at first but after a moment its illusory nature clear, much of the plant life gradually fades into transparent shadows, and the cliffs at the far end of the vale part to reveal a much larger valley beyond. In the distance, a large wall encircles a humble town of stone structures. An immense castle built of bronze bricks towers over the settlement from its perch just above the base of a nearby mountain.

Silver Crusade

Male LN Dwarven Ranger 5 | HP: 49/49 | AC: 19 (13 Tch, 16 Fl) | CMB: +5, CMD: 18 (15 Fl) | F: +7 +6, R: +8 +7, W: +6 +5 | Init: +3 | Perc: +12, SM +6 | Speed 20ft | Active conditions: cloak of resistance +1

Will DC 23: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21

"Well, what do we do now?" Truddig looks around, confused. He searches for some alternate path that they can use.

Survival, track: 1d20 + 12 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 12 + 2 = 15
Perception: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (11) + 12 = 23

Dark Archive

Female CN Tiefling Pistolero 1/ Spellslinger Wizard 1/Myrmidarch Magus 3 | HP 26/39 | AC 18/T 13/FF 15 | CMB +2, CMD 15 | F: +8, R: +7, W: +8 | Init: +6 | Perc: +10, SM: +3 | Speed 30ft | Arcane Pool 2/5 | Grit 2/2 |Active conditions: Longshot |
Spells:
Wiz 1st Grease,Mudball Magus 0th Acid Splash,Light,Detect Magic 1st Burning Hands,Longshot,Snowball

Will: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16

Dunno. Does the trail just end here? Maybe they used teleportation magic to go further? I do wonder if we are missing something here. Maybe this is the illusory barrier? Looks like the trail just vanished.

Naevys will pop out her wand of Mage Armor and tap herself for a charge, then put it back in her haversack.

Then she will cast Detect Magic and look around the clearing for anything odd.

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (11) + 10 = 21

Does the DC23 include the bonus we get for knowing there is an illusion?

Silver Crusade

Male CN Half Orc Warpriest of Gorum 7 half-orc| HP: 60/60 | AC: 21 (11 Tch, 20 Fl) | CMB: +10, CMD: 21 | F: +8, R: +4, W: +9 | Init: +3 | Perc: +4, SM: +7 | Speed 30ft | [/ooc] | Spells: 1st 3/2 2nd: 2/2 3rd 1/1 | [ooc]Active conditions: None.

will ts: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22

Sovereign Court

CN Dwarf Rogue 7

Will: 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 4 + 2 = 14

"They did mention an illusory barrier..." Smarmy interjects... he doesn't mention that he can see no sign of such a thing.

Grand Lodge

Male Human (Azlanti) Bard (Duettist) 6 | HP 45/45 | AC 18, T 11, FF 17 CMD 13 | Fort +6, Ref +8, Will +7 | Init +8(9)* | Perc +9 | SM +17* | Spells Remaining: level 1 4/5 level 2 1/3 | Bardic Performance Rounds 7/16

Constantin Will: 1d20 + 5 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 5 + 1 = 8
Petros Will: 1d20 + 6 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 6 + 1 = 17

"A path could be concealed and yet be here..."

Still he looks doubtful, surely he would have noticed such deception!

Since someone else is already detecting magic :-p

Grand Lodge

Truddig looks around confused, the trail seems to go stone cold here.

Naevys wonders what caused previous group’s signs to vanish. She cast detect magic as the others continue to search.

Oloch looks around.

Smarmy comments that they did mention an illusory barrier

Constantin and his rabbit explore the area and cast detect magic.

Both Naevys and Constantin find the area covered with a magic illusion aura, just as Smarmy predicted.

With the added knowledge and confirmation that there is a glamour at work everyone is eventually able to see through the effect. You see the same scrub filled alpine meadow at first but after a moment its illusory nature clear, much of the plant life gradually fades into transparent shadows, and the cliffs at the far end of the vale part to reveal a much larger valley beyond. In the distance, a large wall encircles a humble town of stone structures. An immense castle built of bronze bricks towers over the settlement from its perch just above the base of a nearby mountain.

Taking what precautions you deem necessary, your group eventually approach the city gate. Two ifrit guards hail you in the language of Ignan. After a moment they try again this time in Terran. With increasing impatience and frustration they ask again in Common ”State your business in Crystalcrag visitor!”

Dark Archive

Female CN Tiefling Pistolero 1/ Spellslinger Wizard 1/Myrmidarch Magus 3 | HP 26/39 | AC 18/T 13/FF 15 | CMB +2, CMD 15 | F: +8, R: +7, W: +8 | Init: +6 | Perc: +10, SM: +3 | Speed 30ft | Arcane Pool 2/5 | Grit 2/2 |Active conditions: Longshot |
Spells:
Wiz 1st Grease,Mudball Magus 0th Acid Splash,Light,Detect Magic 1st Burning Hands,Longshot,Snowball

Greetings! We are following the trail of several colleagues who have gone missing in this pass. I don't suppose you have seen them pass through here? That's a lovely barrier by the way. Impressive work.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (12) + 10 = 22

Silver Crusade

Male LN Dwarven Ranger 5 | HP: 49/49 | AC: 19 (13 Tch, 16 Fl) | CMB: +5, CMD: 18 (15 Fl) | F: +7 +6, R: +8 +7, W: +6 +5 | Init: +3 | Perc: +12, SM +6 | Speed 20ft | Active conditions: cloak of resistance +1

"Indeed, very impressive stonework." Truggig adds, hoping that it is indeed impressive, as a dwarf really should know.

Diplomacy, aid: 1d20 - 3 ⇒ (11) - 3 = 8

Grand Lodge

The guards open the gates allowing the party to pass into the city. Despite the fact that any guards they see are Ifrits, the majority of Crystalcrag’s population is comprised of oreads. The oreads are more curious rather than shocked by the visitor's presence, and they respectfully yet shyly observe your group as they enter the town.

See map for town layout.

After a short while, an aging oread with hair-thin cracks spiderwebbing his skin approaches your group ”I am Eurdan Stonemantle one of the councilors well the only remaining councilor of Crystalcrag. Please, I must speak with you in private.”

He leads you to a building whose exterior bears the weathered inscription “Council House” in Terran. Inviting you inside he explains ”You are the second set of visitors to reach Crystalcrag in the last few weeks, it can’t be coincident. They called themselves Pathfinders and wore a strange compass badge. If you are looking for them I’m afraid they are guest -- almost certainly the prisoners of Crystalcrag’s ruler, Tygora.”

He sighs sadly before continuing, ”My fellow councilor Koriath and many of the town’s Oreads were excited about visitors and was a minor rallying point for us. Shortly afterward the visitors were abducted along with councilor Koriath. I suspect Tygora has all of them imprisoned. Unfortunately, the palace’s defenses are very strong and it would be difficult to rescue your friends without help.”

Dark Archive

Female CN Tiefling Pistolero 1/ Spellslinger Wizard 1/Myrmidarch Magus 3 | HP 26/39 | AC 18/T 13/FF 15 | CMB +2, CMD 15 | F: +8, R: +7, W: +8 | Init: +6 | Perc: +10, SM: +3 | Speed 30ft | Arcane Pool 2/5 | Grit 2/2 |Active conditions: Longshot |
Spells:
Wiz 1st Grease,Mudball Magus 0th Acid Splash,Light,Detect Magic 1st Burning Hands,Longshot,Snowball

What sort of help would you suggest? Is such help available here? What would be required to secure that help, hypothetically speaking?

Grand Lodge

Male Human (Azlanti) Bard (Duettist) 6 | HP 45/45 | AC 18, T 11, FF 17 CMD 13 | Fort +6, Ref +8, Will +7 | Init +8(9)* | Perc +9 | SM +17* | Spells Remaining: level 1 4/5 level 2 1/3 | Bardic Performance Rounds 7/16

"Is this Tygora like to treat with us?
Or should an infiltration head our plans?"

Silver Crusade

Male LN Dwarven Ranger 5 | HP: 49/49 | AC: 19 (13 Tch, 16 Fl) | CMB: +5, CMD: 18 (15 Fl) | F: +7 +6, R: +8 +7, W: +6 +5 | Init: +3 | Perc: +12, SM +6 | Speed 20ft | Active conditions: cloak of resistance +1

"Why were they abducted like that? Had they committed some crime against this Tygora or the city?"

Grand Lodge

Naevys ask about what sort of help would be needed and how to secure the help hypothetically speaking.

Stonemantle shrugs, ”If I was a hero, I would be well advised to speak to others and see what could be done to weaken Tygora’s forces first. I would suggest visiting the Fifth Facet, the largest tavern and natural gathering place for oread workers; Valsog’s smithy, a large smithy operated by a giant who crafts weapons for Tygora’s growing army; and the Everlasting Fire, an oread-owned alchemy shop that is one of many local businesses that Tygora has coerced to supply her ifrit soldiers.”

Constantin ask about Tygora willingness to treat with them.

Stonemantle tells Constantin ”Tygora Cinderfury is our city’s efreeti ruler, oversees all actions for the city. I have no doubt she already knows you are here. She lives in Fury’s Hold, the large palace that you probably saw while you were making your way to Crystalcrag. Perhaps it would help to know our history, then you can decide what is best.”

He begins the tale ”Centuries ago when the Zhonar and Zhobl volcanoes erupted they caused the original buildings to collapse leaving the town devastated. Nonetheless, the oriads tirelessly rebuilt what they could. Tygora an efreeti arrived and offered magical assistance in rebuilding our town a single wish. The town’s council wished for a rebuilt settlement, seclusion, and safety from the outside world. On the one hand, Tygora honored the geniekin’s desires by veiling Crystalcrag and its surroundings lands with powerful illusion magic. On the other hand she twisted their wish to rebuild the town to fit her own needs--with her as its absolute ruler. Under her dictatorial reign, Crystalcrag has grown in influence at the expense of the oreads’ freedom and happiness, yet most have come to accept their safety as a fair trade for their servitude.”

Stonemantle continues with his tale, ”Over the past century, something has caused many oreads to give birth to ifrit children. The efreeti has been quick to take these youths under her wing, giving them both instruction and special privileges to secure their ruthless loyalty. The oreads have voiced some resistance to this two-tiered society, but that has only invited crackdowns and new restrictions. I believe Tygora is preparing to conquer her neighbors using this army of ifrit champions, and all she needs is the continued--albeit coerced-- cooperation of her oread subjects. An added complication keeping the oreads in check is that the ifrit guards are still the oreads’ children.”

Truddig ask why the first group was abducted.

Stonemantle shrugs, ”The Pathfinders’ arrival had been a minor rallying point for the oreads, but they were abducted along with my fellow councilor Koriath before anything came of it.”

Sovereign Court

CN Dwarf Rogue 7

Smarmy is impressed by Tygora's clever schemes. Such machinations were right down his alley... if a bit beyond his reach at present. Extra-planar politics were a little outside his purview... but in the end, it was little different than any other petty crime lord he'd run into in any large city.

Of course, should the efreeti be overthrown, that would create a vacuum of opportunity, just waiting to be filled by a clever dwarf.

"I, Baron Smarmy, would be happy to help you in your plight!" He says, breaking his silence. "Such cruel oppression, when all you asked is safety... that can not be permitted to continue! And the children!"

You're not sure how much he really cares about said children, but he's putting on a concerned facade.

Silver Crusade

Male CN Half Orc Warpriest of Gorum 7 half-orc| HP: 60/60 | AC: 21 (11 Tch, 20 Fl) | CMB: +10, CMD: 21 | F: +8, R: +4, W: +9 | Init: +3 | Perc: +4, SM: +7 | Speed 30ft | [/ooc] | Spells: 1st 3/2 2nd: 2/2 3rd 1/1 | [ooc]Active conditions: None.

"As our new friend rightly says, the smartest thing to do would be to weaken him before a frontal attack, which seems to you if we start by making a visit to that forge."

Dark Archive

Female CN Tiefling Pistolero 1/ Spellslinger Wizard 1/Myrmidarch Magus 3 | HP 26/39 | AC 18/T 13/FF 15 | CMB +2, CMD 15 | F: +8, R: +7, W: +8 | Init: +6 | Perc: +10, SM: +3 | Speed 30ft | Arcane Pool 2/5 | Grit 2/2 |Active conditions: Longshot |
Spells:
Wiz 1st Grease,Mudball Magus 0th Acid Splash,Light,Detect Magic 1st Burning Hands,Longshot,Snowball

Smithy seems a fine place to start. We might then want to go to the tavern and gather some additional information and potential allies, as well as to the alchemy shop, looking for the same.

Grand Lodge

Male Human (Azlanti) Bard (Duettist) 6 | HP 45/45 | AC 18, T 11, FF 17 CMD 13 | Fort +6, Ref +8, Will +7 | Init +8(9)* | Perc +9 | SM +17* | Spells Remaining: level 1 4/5 level 2 1/3 | Bardic Performance Rounds 7/16

Well then to Valsog's smithy we must go!"

Grand Lodge

Impressed Smarmy pledges to make changes and stop the cruel oppression and for the children.

Oloch agrees weakening the foe is the first step and suggest visiting the forge.

Naevys agrees to start at the forge then maybe the tavern.

Constantin leads the way to Valsog’s smithy down one block and to the left.

Approaching the Smithy and Armory, smoke rises from a massive chimney in this open-sided smithy, whose ceiling rises at least twenty feet above the ground at its lowest point. A fenced yard host a multitude of swords, shields, breastplates, and helms -- some are propped up on stands and others lying incomplete in piles. The cadence of steel on steel rings out from the shop. A 14-foot-tall slag giant is working at the forge heating metal then striking it on one of the half dozen anvils with a very large hammer.

The slag giant looks your group over his eyes quickly appraising the quality and craftsmanship of your armor and weapons, ”Welcome to my forge, it is not often I get visitors who appreciate true craftsmanship of their tools of trade” He continues to work as he talks.

Looking at Smarmy, he comments ”Mithril armor one of the nobleler metals to craft in. It has been a while since I have used such metal at my forge. Tygora demanded growing quantities of weapon and armor no time for quality or true masterworks.”

Glancing at the half-orc spiked full plate and magical greatsword, ”That is a powerful weapon it looks well made. If only I was allowed time to craft such weapons, allas I do not.”

Turning to Constantin, the giant continues ”Matched Mithral armor and shield wise choice excellent mobility and protection!”

The giant smith seems impressed with Smarmy’s, Oloch’s and Constantin’s quality of armor and weapons carried. (Smarmy, Oloch, and Constantin have +2 bonus to diplomacy checks.)

Valsog continues to work speaking between hammer blows, ”What brings you to Valsog forge today?

Silver Crusade

Male LN Dwarven Ranger 5 | HP: 49/49 | AC: 19 (13 Tch, 16 Fl) | CMB: +5, CMD: 18 (15 Fl) | F: +7 +6, R: +8 +7, W: +6 +5 | Init: +3 | Perc: +12, SM +6 | Speed 20ft | Active conditions: cloak of resistance +1

Not a fan of Truddig's mithril mountain-pattern armor?

Truddig approaches the piles of weapons and picks a few up, testing their weight and balance and trying to assess Valsog's skill.

Profession (soldier): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (15) + 12 = 27

Grand Lodge

Male Human (Azlanti) Bard (Duettist) 6 | HP 45/45 | AC 18, T 11, FF 17 CMD 13 | Fort +6, Ref +8, Will +7 | Init +8(9)* | Perc +9 | SM +17* | Spells Remaining: level 1 4/5 level 2 1/3 | Bardic Performance Rounds 7/16

Constantin strides through the room, taking in the looks of the place, noting what seems to be the points of pride and frustration before he speaks.

"Your eye for careful craft betrays your heart,
For tools demand a purpose which is true,
Base bondage needs no masters artifice."

He finished his tour and looked the giant comfortably in the eyes, seemingly uncowed by his might.

"Speak true, for now with friends you stand indeed,
Have you not gone to rust in Crystalcrag?
Tygora's reign must end without delay.
And all we ask is that you stand aside."

Diplomacy (Guidance, Mithral): 1d20 + 17 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 17 + 1 + 2 = 30

Silver Crusade

Male CN Half Orc Warpriest of Gorum 7 half-orc| HP: 60/60 | AC: 21 (11 Tch, 20 Fl) | CMB: +10, CMD: 21 | F: +8, R: +4, W: +9 | Init: +3 | Perc: +4, SM: +7 | Speed 30ft | [/ooc] | Spells: 1st 3/2 2nd: 2/2 3rd 1/1 | [ooc]Active conditions: None.

Aid another Diplo: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19

Dark Archive

Female CN Tiefling Pistolero 1/ Spellslinger Wizard 1/Myrmidarch Magus 3 | HP 26/39 | AC 18/T 13/FF 15 | CMB +2, CMD 15 | F: +8, R: +7, W: +8 | Init: +6 | Perc: +10, SM: +3 | Speed 30ft | Arcane Pool 2/5 | Grit 2/2 |Active conditions: Longshot |
Spells:
Wiz 1st Grease,Mudball Magus 0th Acid Splash,Light,Detect Magic 1st Burning Hands,Longshot,Snowball

Your crafting should be of your own design and desire, not demanded of you by a tyrant.
Aid another Diplomacy: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (6) + 13 = 19

Grand Lodge

Truddig inspects some of Valsog’s recent work, he can tell that the weapons are serviceable having been produced quickly, but he can see even in rushed every hammer blow struck to make the weapons was done with precision. (sorry, it not just mithral, The others had more valuable bling items than Truddig.)

Constantin speaks to Valsog crafting each word to hit at the giants’ frustration and pride.

Oloch and Naevys add their words to his making the argument even more persuasive.

The slag giant looks around at the crap weapons and armor he has been forced to make and then at the high quality arms and armor that your group wear, ”I am weary of wasting my talent’s crafting weapons fit not fit for pigs. If you intend to end Tygora’s reign, then I will insure these arms and armor will not be delivered to Tygora!” With that he smashes the piece he is currently working on ruining it with one blow and tossing it into a pile of scrap. He reaches for another finished work to smash as well.

Sovereign Court

CN Dwarf Rogue 7

Smarmy frowns for a moment, then forces a gracious smile onto his face. "Though refusing to assist Tygora's minions is laudable, and we can only hope to live up to your convictions... it seems a shame to destroy weapons of such undeniable craftsmanship." He interjects. "Perhaps one could provide them to those who oppose her instead? Then you'd both deny them to her allies, and help to remove her from her throne, at the same time."

"Not that I have any say in how you dispose of your work." He amends quickly.

Silver Crusade

Male LN Dwarven Ranger 5 | HP: 49/49 | AC: 19 (13 Tch, 16 Fl) | CMB: +5, CMD: 18 (15 Fl) | F: +7 +6, R: +8 +7, W: +6 +5 | Init: +3 | Perc: +12, SM +6 | Speed 20ft | Active conditions: cloak of resistance +1

Truddig nods with Smarmy. "I agree; though violent revolt is the last answer... sometimes it is the answer. Perhaps, in the worst case, just hide these."

Grand Lodge

Male Human (Azlanti) Bard (Duettist) 6 | HP 45/45 | AC 18, T 11, FF 17 CMD 13 | Fort +6, Ref +8, Will +7 | Init +8(9)* | Perc +9 | SM +17* | Spells Remaining: level 1 4/5 level 2 1/3 | Bardic Performance Rounds 7/16

"The dwarf speaks true, and by your efforts here
you might display your skill to glorious ends!
Why not make of these works a gift instead?"

Diplomacy (Guidance, Blingy Mithral): 1d20 + 17 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 17 + 1 + 2 = 21 Halp. Aids very much required lol

1 to 50 of 201 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / [PFS / GameDay8 / GMGlyn]6-07 Valley of Veiled Flame All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.