Strength and Fear: An Ustalavic Kingmaker Campaign

Game Master vayelan

Map: The Town of Ravengro
Map: Harrowstone Grounds

Current Encounter: Battle of Ravengro


1 to 50 of 319 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>

The annual Burning Festival is one of the few events that distinguishes Ravengro from the many other small towns that dot the fog-shrouded landscape of Ustalav, and it provides an even rarer draw for outsiders to visit the farming town. In a fallow field overlooking the large creek that runs through town, and within view of a moss-covered stone statue, the locals have constructed a hut made of wicker and reeds.

Once dusk has fallen, a procession will carry an effigy into the wicker house and set it alight. For now, however, it sits empty except for a fat crow that refuses to stay away, no matter how many times one of the local farmers chases him away.

Knowledge (History or Local) DC 10:
The Burning Festival commemorates what is arguably the most notable event in Ravengro’s history: the destruction of neighboring Harrowstone Prison in a deadly fire nearly sixty years ago. For the superstitious Ustalavic folk, the festival also serves as a ritual to ward off the spirits of the murderers and madmen who perished in the blaze.

Knowledge (Nobility) DC 15:
One of the last noble rulers of Canterwall was the unpopular Count Eigen Lorres. Despite the economic boom brought to the county when Lorres founded Harrowstone Prison, around which Ravengro grew, the prison’s destruction is seen as one of the catalysts that led to Canterwall, along with neighboring counties of Lozeri and Vieland, to throw off autocratic rule and reinvent themselves as the democratic Palatinates. Nevertheless, these three counties still remain loyal to the Ustalavic crown, currently worn by Prince Aduard Ordranti III.

Knowledge (Geography) DC 15:
Ravengro is a farming settlement of roughly 300 residents. The town sits between Lake Lias to the north and the Redwool River to the south, with Ravengro Creek running through the middle of town. Although these waterways do not support a very healthy fishing industry, the local farms remain bountiful. In fact, Canterwall is known as “the breadbasket of Ustalav,” and this agricultural importance lends the county some measure of political clout.


Female Human Sw/Ro/Su 1/1/2 HP 14/34 AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 17 | F +0 | R +6 | W +5 | Init +2 | Per +7

Valeska is nearly intoxicated by the newness of Ravengro... Not that it was new, just that it was new to her.

Sasha beside her, easily mistaken for a black panther.

She visited the shops, although she didn't have need for anything nor could she afford to splurge. But, she wanted to understand the economy and take in the understated beauty that surrounded her.

Even the architecture had so much to tell, if one just listened.

Kn (Geography): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14
Kn (Nobility): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20
Prof (Merchant): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22


Elven Bolt Ace | HP: 12| AC: 16 FF 13 T 13 | Fort: +4 Ref: +5 Will: +1 (+2 vs enchant) | Perception: +7| Init: +3

"What a wonderful ride that was. Wasn't it, Chao?"
The Elf and the Tian human sat on their noble horses with their saddle bags filled with everything one might need for traveling. Shontar tried to look regal on his majestic horse, but onlookers could always see a hint of clumsiness in his movement.

"Let's find a good stable and then a tavern. The horses and us are in need for some good food and treatment."


Tian Flowing Monk 4 | HP: 35| AC: 23 FF 19 T 19 (+1 for each adjacent)| Fort: +7 Ref: +9 Will: +8 | Perception: +10| Init: +4

Knowledge (History): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23
Chao points his finger towards the direction of the ruins of the burned Harrowstone Prison. He signs a few words at Shontar.

Sign language:
"That's where the prison was that burned down


Elven Bolt Ace | HP: 12| AC: 16 FF 13 T 13 | Fort: +4 Ref: +5 Will: +1 (+2 vs enchant) | Perception: +7| Init: +3

Shontar who had learned to understand his companion'signs stopped his horse.
"Irori's library be damned! How do you know this stuff??? You're not even from this continent!"


Tian Flowing Monk 4 | HP: 35| AC: 23 FF 19 T 19 (+1 for each adjacent)| Fort: +7 Ref: +9 Will: +8 | Perception: +10| Init: +4

Chao smiles and sighs. In sign language he answers only "I read".


M Cavalier Image for Kain Cavalier 4 HP: 53| AC:21(24)| T: 12| FF:20(23)| Fort:+8 | Ref: +4 | Will: +7| Init: +2| Perception: +10

know. Local: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11

know.Nobility: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28

Kain rode in on his warhorse, the exotic armor of his town on and polished and looked about the small, dreary town with keen eyes.
For a town in this place, I wonder how they have managed to survive with such poor defenses. Perhaps the stories of the dangers of Ustalav are as overblown as most others.

Upon noticing the effigy, he chuckles to himself.

A fun tradition, though I doubt it does anything for the town in regards to spirits like many will claim. Or, maybe about as much as the farmers efforts effect the raven. He gives a small grin, not at the farmers plight, but at the fairly quaint life that seems to go on around this small village.

upon seeing another with a horse, Kain smiles and urges Valere forward.

T'is a shame what came about to the prison. I heard it was one of the reasons that this town grew as it did. And also aided economic growth greatly. I'd wager it was good for the area as well, keeping criminals off the land only allows further prosperity.

He looks to Shontar with a smile, and speaks in elven.
It is always good to see one of the elven kin, I met one several years back, he saved me from a life of hate, or from death. Perhaps both.

He offers his gauntleted hand. My name is Kain, merely a wandering mercenary. Tis a fine steed you have, is it for battle?


Elf Druid (Treesinger) 4 | hp 37/37 | Init+2 | Perc+9 | AC 16 TAC 13 FF 14 | CMB +5 | CMD 18 | Fort +6 Ref +4 Will +8

Kn (Geography): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24

Faun enters the town on foot, walking along the banks of the creek running through town. What appears to be a large walking tree stays close to her.

It doesn't take long for her to locate her primary target. Seeing the reed and wicker hut, she simply stares at it in silence. Eventually, she turns around and heads back towards the center of town.

In a soft, gentle Sylvan, she speaks to Ornmeil'lon,
*Sylvan* "Yes, Ornmeil'lon, I agree. But it's not nearly as bad as I thought. And while it seems wasteful, it's nonetheless sustainable. That reed grows all along these banks."

When the two are further into the town, Faun notices a woman with a beautiful blank panther!


Elven Bolt Ace | HP: 12| AC: 16 FF 13 T 13 | Fort: +4 Ref: +5 Will: +1 (+2 vs enchant) | Perception: +7| Init: +3

Shontar eyed the armored knight on his battle steed. He was surprised about the elven tongue but responded accordingly.
"Welcome, Sir Kain. My name is Shontar Hadove from Kyonin. And this is Chao, at least that's the name I gave him. Our horses have not seen battle, but I suppose they're trained for it. My family owns only, the finest breed, you know. We're merely here for the festival. Out of curiosity for new cultures and for entertainment.
What brings you to this place? I hope we're not in any danger? "

Shontar, suddenly saw Faun and her companion arriving. "Look over there. Yet another Elf. And a pretty one that is. However, her companion is most strange, I must say."


Female Human Sw/Ro/Su 1/1/2 HP 14/34 AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 17 | F +0 | R +6 | W +5 | Init +2 | Per +7

Men on horses aren't anything special... but in a small town, out of place. Even with the influx of visitors.

A walking tree however, is difficult to miss. Come, Sasha...

The two approached the Elfess and her arboreal companion.

Raising a hand, Greetings and salutations.


Elf Druid (Treesinger) 4 | hp 37/37 | Init+2 | Perc+9 | AC 16 TAC 13 FF 14 | CMB +5 | CMD 18 | Fort +6 Ref +4 Will +8

Faun mimics the gesture and greeting, though is very sincere. She smiles warmly. ”Greetings and Salutations to you, in return. I must say, your friend here is quite beautiful! Would she allow me to scratch behind her ears?”


M Cavalier Image for Kain Cavalier 4 HP: 53| AC:21(24)| T: 12| FF:20(23)| Fort:+8 | Ref: +4 | Will: +7| Init: +2| Perception: +10

Kain shakes his head
No no, at least no more so than any other town in ustalav. As for my question, I merely was curious, my town prided itself on the quality of their warhorses, even the ones that worked the fields were always trained for battle. Valere here was the best of them when he was given to me.

Kain pauses for a moment, he looks Shontar up and down, taking him in.

Well, if you are here for sights, I have a question for you. Have you ever seen a young griffon?


Elven Bolt Ace | HP: 12| AC: 16 FF 13 T 13 | Fort: +4 Ref: +5 Will: +1 (+2 vs enchant) | Perception: +7| Init: +3

"Actually no, I haven't. I am a hunter, but that kind of trophy is still missing on my wall..."

Shontar and Chao slowly ride further into town until they reach the stables an the inn.

"Let's settle in, then you can tell me all about it. And
I'll have a story about a certain tiger that you won't believe."


Female Sylph Wizard 4 | HP:28/28 | AC: 15/ FF 12/ T 13 | Fort: +4 Ref: +4 Will: +4 | Perception: +4| Init: +3

Sorry, tab wasn't showing up for me.

Knowledge Rolls:

K.G: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (3) + 10 = 13
K.N: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9

A lanky girl with white hair watches the group as they converse. Once she is noticed she'll introduce herself. "Greetings, I am the explorer Sibeesha. You can call me Sibe."


Female Human Sw/Ro/Su 1/1/2 HP 14/34 AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 17 | F +0 | R +6 | W +5 | Init +2 | Per +7

Closer, you notice that the creature is no black panther at all, its anatomy and facial structure is different. Think Toothless sans wings/long tail.

I'm Valeska and this is Sasha. Sasha doesn't mind a scratch.

The town lost in time, not that it's a bad thing... I think we'll be staying a few days. Explore what the town has to offer.


Elf Druid (Treesinger) 4 | hp 37/37 | Init+2 | Perc+9 | AC 16 TAC 13 FF 14 | CMB +5 | CMD 18 | Fort +6 Ref +4 Will +8

Faun gets down on one knee and playfully scratches Sasha under her chin and behind an ear.

"I'm honored to meet you both. Friends call me Faun, and so may you."
She stands and smiles, then nods back in the direction of the treant. "This here is my
best friend, Ornmeil'lon."

With hands on her hips, she sighs and laments, "What a dreadful place this town is. -Um, unless this is like...home for you. In which case- no, sorry, it's still dreadful, no offense."


M Cavalier Image for Kain Cavalier 4 HP: 53| AC:21(24)| T: 12| FF:20(23)| Fort:+8 | Ref: +4 | Will: +7| Init: +2| Perception: +10

Story? Aye, there is that, but... I think this one is best seen, and heard. Though, only if you swear to not hunt this one, that is. He gives a grin, before beckoning Shontar to follow him.

Come, before we settle in tonight,

if you follow:

If Shontar follows, Kain takes him to the outskirts of the town to a grove. Wherein there is a young male griffon with Silver fur and black wings with silver tipped feathers. It is resting on a patch of grass, but when Kain enters, it stands and saunters over to him. It stands shorter than a horse at the time.
image

Kain scratches its head affectionately.

This is Silverclaw, I found him a couple years ago as a babe, his mother had been killed, and he was injured and likely next to die. I couldn't sit back and watch the orc scum either kill or enslave it, so I saved him. Oddly enough, it seemed he took to me, and despite my efforts followed me where I went. He lets out a small chuckle.

quickly, I stopped fighting it, and began trying to raise and train it. It is still young, but is quite capable of fending for itself now, but still, it follows me. I left him here, afraid that he would cause too much of a panic in town, but, after seeing some of the other guests on our way here, I think letting him come and go should be fine.


Female Human Sw/Ro/Su 1/1/2 HP 14/34 AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 17 | F +0 | R +6 | W +5 | Init +2 | Per +7

Valeska smiled genuinely. Upon honesty being the best policy, we can agree. I feel I should know what your best friend is, what type of being. But I'm dreadfully ignorant and should read more. But, I do learn best from experience.

Sasha accepts the affection, and moves closer to the-tree-that-walks, sniffing and gently scratching his head against it.

As far as this town being dreadful? I truly believe a place or thing is only an dreadful as what you bring to it and leave with it. So you see, it's always up to us. How long do we have together here, new friends Faun and Ornmeelon?

Home for me is verdant hills and low lying mountains, a vineyard estate. Acres and acres of land, tended to and protected.

Faun might have a high chance of recognizing Sasha as fey, being a Druid.


It would be folly to think of Ravengro as a place of unrestrained joy and mirth, yet the approach of the Burning Festival does fill the locals with an undeniable liveliness.

The town square, built around a simple wooden gazebo, is home to most of the restrained excitement. An old hound trots around the square, going from person to person with its tongue lolling out, seemingly curious at the goings-on. A ruddy-nosed man, his jowls bedecked in whiskers, hangs a number of small wicker figures from the porch of a tavern - its sign reading "The Laughing Demon." A pair of tall guards stand vigilant, flanking the door to a stout, stone-walled building at the southern end of the square. A number of other shops and businesses also abut the square.

As you walk along the town's gravelly main road, the locals all stop and stare.
You can see eager whispers already beginning to carry down the way, quietly heralding your approach.


Elven Bolt Ace | HP: 12| AC: 16 FF 13 T 13 | Fort: +4 Ref: +5 Will: +1 (+2 vs enchant) | Perception: +7| Init: +3

"Maybe later, Kain. We're attracting a crowd, it seems."
Shontar looks around and determines the ruddy-nosed man could be an innkeeper or at least know, where there is food and drinks to get.

"Hello, my friend. Would you be so kind and tell us tired travellers, where to find a good place to stay for a few nights? Our horses need stables and we are looking for some food and ale."


"Welcome, welcome!" the innkeeper laughs jovially, throwing his arms out wide. "If you're looking for a good meal, then you've come to the right place. Step inside, and we can pour you a bowl of corpse chowder and a mug of liquid ghosts."

He waits to read the reaction that his macabre menu elicits from Shontar before letting slip another, allaying laugh.

"No worries, it's all just a spot of fun," he reassures you with a wave of his hand. "Our chowder is just a hearty stew of red broth and diced chicken, while the house 'spirits' is simply a sweet pale ale with a bit of green coloring added. The best way to face the horrors of the world is with a jest, I say. The way I see it, if you can laugh at the worst the world has to offer, then what is there left to fear?

"But where are my manners? My name is Zokar Elkarid, and I'd like to welcome you to the Laughing Demon!" he says with an exaggerated flourish of his arms.


Female Sylph Wizard 4 | HP:28/28 | AC: 15/ FF 12/ T 13 | Fort: +4 Ref: +4 Will: +4 | Perception: +4| Init: +3

Sibeesha's attention perks when the Innkeeper starts talking about a good meal, and doesn't dim when he says the names of the dishes. "In my old village, we had a funny innkeeper too. He use to make something he called "Troll Kill Soup. He told travelers that it was the remains of animals that the trolls didn't want to eat." looking around at her new companions, Sibeesha waits for a reply from them.


Female Human Sw/Ro/Su 1/1/2 HP 14/34 AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 17 | F +0 | R +6 | W +5 | Init +2 | Per +7

All together, or are Valeska and Faun apartment from the others?


For expediency, we can assume that Valeska and Faun have independently approached the town square and see the others gathered in front of the tavern.


Female Human Sw/Ro/Su 1/1/2 HP 14/34 AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 17 | F +0 | R +6 | W +5 | Init +2 | Per +7

Best the group of visitors. Faun, how does your best friend stay at an inn?

I heard good things about the Outward Inn attracting artists and musicians. We should check things out before deciding.


M Cavalier Image for Kain Cavalier 4 HP: 53| AC:21(24)| T: 12| FF:20(23)| Fort:+8 | Ref: +4 | Will: +7| Init: +2| Perception: +10

of course. A fine meal sounds most welcome. kain states with a smile


Elf Druid (Treesinger) 4 | hp 37/37 | Init+2 | Perc+9 | AC 16 TAC 13 FF 14 | CMB +5 | CMD 18 | Fort +6 Ref +4 Will +8

"He doesn't, actually. But he'll just plant himself somewhere next to wherever I am staying, which is usually outside. However, I've had a long day and wouldn't be against a soft mattress."

Upon hearing the innkeeper and his jocularity, Faun adds, "Yes, one must be thorough in all decisions of life, great and small. Let us examine this other establishment, the Outward Inn." She gives the tiniest hint of a giggle. "Clever, clever."


Female Human Sw/Ro/Su 1/1/2 HP 14/34 AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 17 | F +0 | R +6 | W +5 | Init +2 | Per +7

You are all welcome to join us. She catches the silent one's eyes, as she moves away... tosses her head, waves her arm, as if to say Come-with, please.

Perhaps I'm getting old but, I'm just not in the mood to surround myself with all things death and undeath. Let's immerse ourselves in beauty and wonder...


The hint of a frown crosses Zokar's face as he watches you cross the town square, but with a slight shrug, he quickly refreshes his smile and returns to hanging his decorations.

The wooden second floor of The Outward Inn overhangs the sturdy, stone construction of the ground floor - forming a sort of porch. A pair of wooden benches, their whitewash paint peeling off, sit flanking the tall, narrow entrance. A wooden statue of a knight, carved from a single log, also adorns the porch; a thick layer of pipe ash is strewn about the carving's feet.

Inside the inn, a wraparound balcony overlooks the common room, ensuring plenty of room for guests to view the short stage pushed against one wall, opposite the broad, cold hearth on the other side. Chairs and stools currently rest atop the long and round tables that dominate most of the rest of the floor.

You find the innkeeper running a broom beneath the tables. She has the complexion of dusky skin grown pale, although her hair remains a vibrant mahogany. A trio of colorful feathers in her hair contrast sharply with the gray of her dress and shawl, although the intricate silver embroidery stands out in Varisian patterns. She hisses beneath her breath as a frizz-furred cat occasionally darts out from beneath a table, lunging for the broom head. Despite the frustration, glimmers of a smile still play upon her face as she watches the cat's mischief.


Female Human Sw/Ro/Su 1/1/2 HP 14/34 AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 17 | F +0 | R +6 | W +5 | Init +2 | Per +7

Valeska tries her best not to startle the lady.

Let's find some seats or stand at the bar... A round on me if anyone's staying. Who is thirsty or perhaps hungry? If we like it, maybe there are rooms.

I see why this place was recommended. A broad and open smile plays across her face.


Female Sylph Wizard 4 | HP:28/28 | AC: 15/ FF 12/ T 13 | Fort: +4 Ref: +4 Will: +4 | Perception: +4| Init: +3

As Valeska moves to speak with the woman, Sibeesha takes a piece of parchment out of her bag and crumples it up. Tosses it to the cat and watches as the cat starts to get distracted with this new world wonder.


Sibeesha the Bold wrote:
As Valeska moves to speak with the woman, Sibeesha takes a piece of parchment out of her bag and crumples it up. Tosses it to the cat and watches as the cat starts to get distracted with this new world wonder.

The innkeeper looks up from her work with a wry smile.

"You're definitely not from around here. Most locals get spooked by Canto," she says, nodding towards the cat grasping the top of the ball of parchment with its teeth while kicking the other side with his hind legs. "For most folk on this side of Ustalav, cats are bad luck. Of course, considering that the old superstition says that cats can see your sins, maybe they're just antsy about skeletons in the closet getting exposed."

She turns and offers a bent-legged curtsy.

"I'm Sarianna Vai. Welcome to The Outward Inn."


Female Human Sw/Ro/Su 1/1/2 HP 14/34 AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 17 | F +0 | R +6 | W +5 | Init +2 | Per +7

Valeska returns the curtsy. The pleasure and honor is ours, to be certain.

This is Faun, my new friend and there's are my newer friends... Well, maybe. You'll tell me if they behave.

For now, what they eat and drink is on me. You have a delightful establishment... and warmth about you.


Female Sylph Wizard 4 | HP:28/28 | AC: 15/ FF 12/ T 13 | Fort: +4 Ref: +4 Will: +4 | Perception: +4| Init: +3

Sibeesha smiles at the Innkeepers words, "Cats are lovely creatures. You can tell a lot about a person by the company that they keep. Not to mention, I don't trust an Inn without a cat, don't know what kind of meat is served.


Elven Bolt Ace | HP: 12| AC: 16 FF 13 T 13 | Fort: +4 Ref: +5 Will: +1 (+2 vs enchant) | Perception: +7| Init: +3

Shontar was not an artsy type and didn't want to mingle with any free-spirited people. He followed the ruddy-nosed man blindly into the first inn that came along.


Female Human Sw/Ro/Su 1/1/2 HP 14/34 AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 17 | F +0 | R +6 | W +5 | Init +2 | Per +7

Valeska smiles at the cat fancy, and in fact fancied Sasha a cat of sorts. Presently, he was outside with Faun's arboreal bud.

A bottle of the most appropriate vintage, please... something that suits the season and mood. The people's wine. And, as I may have heard a stomach grumbling, namely my own...

Bread and cheese, if you please.

Looking around, Seems we've lost a soul or two to the Laughing Demon. Perhaps that was a bad choice of words, indeed.

Where are my manners, please forgive me. I am Valeska, a traveler, explorer and perhaps merchant, at times.


Elf Druid (Treesinger) 4 | hp 37/37 | Init+2 | Perc+9 | AC 16 TAC 13 FF 14 | CMB +5 | CMD 18 | Fort +6 Ref +4 Will +8

Faun says nothing when introduced, although she does offer a smile and tilt of the head. Turning in a slow circle, she breathes in the place. After a full turn, she stops, exhales slowly, and seems content.

"Why, thank you Valeska Talanova. Kindness is someone uncommon these days."

She'll humbly accept a glass of the vintage wine. At the mention of food, however, she gracefully declines.
"Ah. No thank you, I'm good."

She reaches into a pouch on her waist and pulls out a small, delicious looking berry, considers it for a moment, then plops it into her mouth.

"I would, however, very much enjoy a cup of hot tea, please. Once we're through with the bottle, of course."


At the Laughing Demon:
Zokar eagerly ushers Shontar and Chao into his tavern.

"I'm so glad that at least some of our visitors have a bit of adventuresome spirit," he laughs while guiding you to a table, nearly pressing you into the chairs. "Shall I tap a casket of ghosts and pour you each a mug? If you're hungry, I've got some fresh lamb - the local werewolf left half the critter."

At the Outward Inn:
"I'll set some water boiling in the kitchen, then I'll fetch a bottle from downstairs," Miss Vai announces. You are not left alone with the furry Canto for long, as the innkeeper quickly returns from the cellar with a green glass bottle and some hand-turned wooden cups.

"If you're planning on staying past the festival, six of my ten rooms upstairs are still vacant," she says while uncorking the bottle, its calligraphic label reading Scarlet of Marian Leigh. "Frankly, I was expecting to lose out to Zokar in terms of business later tonight. The past two years have taught me that, after the Burning Festival, the locals are a bit braver about facing his 'spooky' fare."


Female Human Sw/Ro/Su 1/1/2 HP 14/34 AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 17 | F +0 | R +6 | W +5 | Init +2 | Per +7

At the Outward Inn:
Valeska seems pleased, even thrilled.

It's been since while since I've had any company besides, Sasha. The road gets lonely sometimes. And tiring. In glad we found each other... Even if, it's just for a while that we enjoy each other's company.

She thanks Mistress Vai and examines the bottle, after the cups are poured.

A friendly rivalry, then with the Laughing Demon?

Prof (Merchant), Marian Leigh: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14


Elf Druid (Treesinger) 4 | hp 37/37 | Init+2 | Perc+9 | AC 16 TAC 13 FF 14 | CMB +5 | CMD 18 | Fort +6 Ref +4 Will +8

At the Outward Inn:
During the brief pause while the innkeep heads down to the cellar, Faun turns and crouches down beside the cat, scratching its chin. She then speaks to the pale one (Sibeesha) who had tossed the parchment.

"That's wise advice. For the same reasons, I never trust an inn with too many cats." She smiles wryly. "Friends call me Faun, and so may you."

In response to Miss Vai's mention of lodgings: "Thank you, but I prefer to sleep under the stars."

***Later on***
After two cups of the lovely wine, she'll graciously accept and pay for the tea, and inquire, "Miss Vai, would you mind if enjoy this outside?"

She'll take the hot tea out and enjoy it while sitting at the feet of Ornmeil'lon.


Elven Bolt Ace | HP: 12| AC: 16 FF 13 T 13 | Fort: +4 Ref: +5 Will: +1 (+2 vs enchant) | Perception: +7| Init: +3

Laughin Demon:

Shontar smiled as not to be impolite at the joking innkeeper. "Is that werewolf a menace? Do you you need a seasoned hunter to track it down?"


Valeska:
Marian Leigh is a small town tucked away in the southeastern corner of Canterwall county. It's greenhouses and gardens produce some sought after fruit, and its limited production of wine is a valuable commodity in the more provincial cities of Ustalav. Of course, the town's biggest claim to fame is that women supposedly outnumber men by 10 to 1.

At The Outward Inn:
"Zokar and I run different enough businesses that I can't say we have much of a rivalry," Miss Vai replies, pouring some tea for Faun while leaving the bottle for her guests.

"Locals tend to come here, while the Laughing Demon more so attracts travelers - visitors from Tamrivena, mostly. Of course, Zokar especially loves trying to spook young crusaders from Lastwall with his 'vampire steak' and 'necromancer fingers' specials."

After sharing a few cups and words with her guests, Sarianna bids Faun welcome to step outside with her latest cup of tea. Beside the inn, Faun finds Ornmeil'lon shuddering with confusion as Canto the cat attempts to climb him.

At The Laughing Demon:
"Don't you dare, that hairy brute is at once one of my best customers and best sources of meat."

Zokar punctuates his statement with another raucous laugh, before calming himself and waving away the whole matter with his hand.

"Before you start putting bolts in any of my neighbors, you should know that I'm pulling your leg," he says, wiping away a bit of moisture from his eye. "Ain't no werewolves hereabouts that I know of. 'Course, that doesn't stop folks from spreading rumors about them, and I suppose that I am partly to blame for that.

"If you're interested in hunting, there are some normal wolves out on the moors that I'm sure the local farmers would be glad to be rid of. Foxes, too! 'Course, most folks would say the biggest game is orc. A fair share of my business comes from adventurers and would-be crusaders stopping in Ravengro on their way west, into the orc holds of Belkzen."


M Cavalier Image for Kain Cavalier 4 HP: 53| AC:21(24)| T: 12| FF:20(23)| Fort:+8 | Ref: +4 | Will: +7| Init: +2| Perception: +10

laughing demon:
Kain Had merely sipped on his drink, lost in thought on matters one should not get lost in.

at the mention of the Holds, Kain glances up.

Plenty of that out there, if you aren't careful, you'll reach an early grave in those lands. Nothing really manages to stay the same there for long.


Female Human Sw/Ro/Su 1/1/2 HP 14/34 AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 17 | F +0 | R +6 | W +5 | Init +2 | Per +7

At the Outward Inn:
Thank you, Mistress Sai... Marian Leigh, indeed... secrets and all. Event choice for the evening. We'll see if we can figure out what we are doing for the evening, so far as rooms go.

Guess that leaves us two, Sibeesha. I'm touring the region, doing a little research to help our family business. Not certain what will come up. Seems a nice enough stop along the way.


Female Sylph Wizard 4 | HP:28/28 | AC: 15/ FF 12/ T 13 | Fort: +4 Ref: +4 Will: +4 | Perception: +4| Init: +3

Outward Inn:

Sibeesha smiles at Faun starts to pet the cat. "I have to agree. If there are too many cats, you never know what the meat actually is. My name is Sibeesha, you can call me Sibe if you want."

After hearing Vai's offering of lodgings, "That all depends on how much a room is. It would be nice, but we must all have a tight string on our pouches.

Later, when talking to Valeska, "I am doing my own research, looking for some people. is all she says. After she says that, she becomes a little sadder, petting the cat.


Female Human Sw/Ro/Su 1/1/2 HP 14/34 AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 17 | F +0 | R +6 | W +5 | Init +2 | Per +7

At the Outward Inn:
Research is popular, these days... hey, wait. What's got you down?

I'm a good listener.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Sorry for the delay. I wasn't sure if folks needed more time to post and RP.

At The Laughing Demon:
"Aye, ain't that the truth," Zokar agrees with Kain. The tavern keeper's mirth slips away as talk turns more fully to the orc-lands to the west.

"Life this close to the Bleakwall has never been very secure. I try to distract folks with a spot of macabre fun. After all, not to toot my own horn too much, but I was the one who concocted the idea of the Burning Festival about three years back."

This humble boast briefly renews Zokar's smile.

"It's helped, but not everyone is happy. At my bar counter and around my tables, I've heard many locals grumbling with discontent. They ain't happy with the council up in Tamrivena."

At The Outward Inn:
"It's such a relief for a spot of more pleasant conversation," Sarianna sighs with wistful contentment after sitting with Valeska and Sibe.

"I would never begrudge my local customers, but it can become rather grating to listen to the same political grumblings. Time and again, they sing the same song: 'The council doesn't care about us. They keep calling the Foreguard back to Tamrivena.' Oh, but look at what I've done," she adds with an embarrassed apology. "Now I'm burdening you with my own complaints."


Female Human Sw/Ro/Su 1/1/2 HP 14/34 AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 17 | F +0 | R +6 | W +5 | Init +2 | Per +7

At the Outward Inn:
Valeska listened, was that worry in the woman's voice?

Think nothing of it, part of getting to know the town and region. Besides, burdens are easier borne together. Was there a concern regarding the absence of the Foreguard? Is there some encroaching threat?

We girls should be careful. Bandits, ruffians and the like...

Surely, even the uncouth would have the decency to not disturb a venerable night of celebration... when all eyes are distracted, new faces are thought nothing of and no one would... suspect.

It was Valeska's turn we sounds worried, as she reaches to rap in the table and forces a smile. Knock on wood...


Female Sylph Wizard 4 | HP:28/28 | AC: 15/ FF 12/ T 13 | Fort: +4 Ref: +4 Will: +4 | Perception: +4| Init: +3

Inn:

Sibeesha smiles at Valesky, ”Thank you, but I’m not ready to talk about it just yet.”

Listening to Sarianna and Valesky, Sibe nods. ”I can handle bandits, but there are worse people out there. We can listen.


M Cavalier Image for Kain Cavalier 4 HP: 53| AC:21(24)| T: 12| FF:20(23)| Fort:+8 | Ref: +4 | Will: +7| Init: +2| Perception: +10

haha demon:

Why? Has it done something to cause the folk around here worry?
Kain asks the man.

1 to 50 of 319 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Strength and Fear: An Ustalavic Kingmaker Campaign All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.