Strength and Fear: An Ustalavic Kingmaker Campaign

Game Master vayelan

Map: The Town of Ravengro
Map: Harrowstone Grounds

Current Encounter: Harrowstone Prison


301 to 350 of 471 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Female Human Sw/Ro/Su 1/1/2 HP 14/34 AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 17 | F +0 | R +6 | W +5 | Init +2 | Per +7

Valeska, seeing Kain surveil the perimeter... begins the climb, Sasha in tow.


Kain:
Profession (Mercenary): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22

As a prison, Harrowstone was ostensibly built to keep threats within, rather than to keep them out. Nevertheless, this surprising feat of engineering would not need much modification to become a proper stronghold. The sturdy central building could serve as a keep, housing a garrison of defenders and offering sanctuary to locals. The fact that Harrowstone was built atop a broad, singular hill with a commanding view of the surrounding plains and moors only emphasizes its strategic potential.

The curtain wall could stand to be anchored by additional watchtowers, but the most significant bit of work would be repairing the sinkhole. Even without a scholar's knowledge of engineering, you recognize that this would be the most critical aspect of reinforcing the ruins.

...

Valeska climbs the narrow stairs with Sasha at her heels. Ornmeil'lon watches them ascend, and it becomes clear that the treant sapling is simply too large to follow up the stairs. He is uneasy - at least, as far as you can read emotion from a sentient plant - that he could not accompany his companion.

The curtain wall rises twenty feet above the prison yard, and the lookout tower on top stands another ten feet. A sheet of canvas is tacked across the open doorway. Parting this improvised curtain reveals a dilapidated interior, with the collapsed roof forming a web of broken timbers. Another canvas is suspended like a tent to provide shelter.

Within the tower, Valeska finds Faunlara speaking with an unfamiliar woman with pale skin and slender arms. As soon as the wine merchant steps inside, she turns her haunted yellow eyes upon Valeska and recoils in fright.


Elven Bolt Ace | HP: 20| AC: 17 FF 14 T 13 | Fort: +5 Ref: +6 Will: +1 (+2 vs enchant) | Perception: +8| Init: +3

With nothing else to do Shontar follows Valeska up the stairs. In sign language he tells Chao to wait here and keep the treant company.


Female Human Sw/Ro/Su 1/1/2 HP 14/34 AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 17 | F +0 | R +6 | W +5 | Init +2 | Per +7

Hey there, no need to be upset. We can all be friends.

Faun? Valeska does hey best to appear non-threatening.

diplomacy: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (15) + 12 = 27
sense motive: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12


Elf Druid (Treesinger) 5| hp 44/44 | Init+2 | Perc+10 | AC 16 TAC 13 FF 14 | CMB +5 | CMD 18 | Fort +6 Ref +4 Will +8

Faun immediately turns, throwing her arms out as if blocking and protecting her from whoever was entering the makeshift dwelling. Of course, Faun had recognized Valeska's voice a moment before she entered, but was still trying to gain the poor woman's trust.

"Oh, hello Valeska." Racking her brain, she decides to wink at her, hoping it was the appropriate gesture humans use when signaling they knew what they were doing.

"Lenora, it's alright. She's a friend of mine." Then, clearly addressing Valeska, "This poor woman has been living here, seemingly for quite some time. ... Do you think you could ask your...*ahem* "pet" ... to wait outside below?"

"Lenora, no one is going to hurt you. In fact, I'd like to help you, if you'll let me. What reason would they have for calling you 'tainted'?"


Female Human Sw/Ro/Su 1/1/2 HP 14/34 AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 17 | F +0 | R +6 | W +5 | Init +2 | Per +7

Sasha, please...


Valeska's polite, disarming approach allays the skittish Lenora. She even keeps her from growing more agitated when Shontar follows not long after her and also steps inside the tower, leaving the dilapidated shelter quite crowded.

"I am not human," Lenora admits with downcast eyes. "I am reminded of that fact any time I catch my reflection down in the pond. I don't know what I am, but I know it frightens the Ravengro folk. I've long since given up on trying to change their minds."

She raises her eyes suddenly, a strange new expression upon her face.

"Oh! But please, don't pity me. I haven't been too lonely. I do have visitors...or at least I had visitors," Lenora clarifies, a melancholic mood overcoming her again. "I actually had two suitors from the town, Alain and Edgrin. They would visit me. They would...court me."

Lenora nervously twiddles her fingers, simultaneously embarrassed yet proud to discuss her love life.

"But someone murdered Alain," she declares, chewing her lip. "I fear that Edgrin did it out of jealousy. What if he comes for me next to keep his secret?"

Valeska:
Lenora is genuinely frightened. She sequesters herself not just because she is an outcast but because she feels hunted.


Elven Bolt Ace | HP: 20| AC: 17 FF 14 T 13 | Fort: +5 Ref: +6 Will: +1 (+2 vs enchant) | Perception: +8| Init: +3

what knowledge to identify her?

"Oh, eh, hello there. I'm Shontar Hadove." He was clearly startled to find someone.


Knowledge (Arcana) or (Planes) could be used to identify her heritage.


Elven Bolt Ace | HP: 20| AC: 17 FF 14 T 13 | Fort: +5 Ref: +6 Will: +1 (+2 vs enchant) | Perception: +8| Init: +3

Despite being around in this world for quite some time, he has never bothered to learn much of this world. So, obviously, he couldn't quite pinpoint that woman's heritage. Instead he's being the usual idiot and trying to charm her.

"Lenora, isn't it? That is quite a pretty name. I heard it when coming in. And now that I'm here, I can understand, what these men saw in you."

Bluff: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24


A blush plays across Lenora's pale cheeks, but she quickly sets aside Shontar's nevertheless effective compliment.

"Did they at least give Alain a decent burial?" she asks. "I was relieved to discover that his body had been claimed. To be slain was tragic enough, but I worried that he'd gone forgotten."

Knowledge (Local) DC 10:
There has been no news in town about any murder, and you are certain that it would be the height of gossip even in the wake of the raid. Neither was any body recently brought back from the prison grounds. If Alain's body was gone, as Lenora indicates, then it was not taken by the townsfolk.


M Cavalier Cavalier 5 HP: 42/62| AC:21(24)| T: 12| FF:20(23)| Fort:+8 | Ref: +4 | Will: +7| Init: +2| Perception: +11

As kain makes his way back to the front, he glances around, not sure where the others went. After a moment, he walks into the inner yard before calling out.

Where did you all get to?


Tian Flowing Monk 5 | HP: 43| AC: 25 FF 19 T 21 (+1 for each adjacent)| Fort: +7 Ref: +9 Will: +8 | Perception: +11| Init: +4

Kain finds Chao standing with Ornmeil'lon doing, well, nothing really. Answering the question, Chao just points to the tower and it's entrance while shrugging his shoulders.


Female Human Sw/Ro/Su 1/1/2 HP 14/34 AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 17 | F +0 | R +6 | W +5 | Init +2 | Per +7

If not human, perhaps you could tell Faun what sort of person you are and how we could help you.

Are you being accused of something? Maybe we can clear things up and help you find a more suitable home.

Valeska is genuine and sincere, having compassion for the huddled girl.


M Cavalier Cavalier 5 HP: 42/62| AC:21(24)| T: 12| FF:20(23)| Fort:+8 | Ref: +4 | Will: +7| Init: +2| Perception: +11

Kain nods his thanks to Chao before dismounting and patting Valor.

Keep an eye out ok?

Kain them makes his way up to the entrance.

Valeska, Shontar, are you here? he asks as he enters.

When he sees the girl he pauses, but quickly gives a broad smile.

Ah, and who is this?


Elf Druid (Treesinger) 5| hp 44/44 | Init+2 | Perc+10 | AC 16 TAC 13 FF 14 | CMB +5 | CMD 18 | Fort +6 Ref +4 Will +8

In an effort to prevent her from withdrawing further, Faun gently commands the room,

"I'm sure our new friend finds it very rude for so many people to come barging into her home. Why don't we step out into the fresh air, where we can have some elbow room? Lenora, will you come outside? You'll be safe. I promise."


Female Human Sw/Ro/Su 1/1/2 HP 14/34 AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 17 | F +0 | R +6 | W +5 | Init +2 | Per +7

We don't want to be rude.

Valeska gently shews Shontar and Kain out, ready to follow.


A cool breeze brushes across the parapet as the party and Lenora step out from her tower refuge. Despite the gray clouds overhead, light of midday remains brighter than the shadows within her home, providing a clearer look at the reclusive woman. Her pallor looks as though all color has been drained from her skin.

"I don't know what kind of person I am," she declares, frustrated. "My parents found me left on their doorstep and 'generously' took me in, as they never failed to remind me, even when applying the hickory switch. Since I was a girl, I've been accused of being a witch, a fey temptress, a hagspawn, and any number of other things I care not remember."

She cradles herself in her arms as though a chill befalls her, even though the late morning air is not nearly cold enough for that.

"If you're asking about actual deeds, then I've done nothing! I'm not foolish enough to do anything that would legitimize all the things folks have said about me. Of course, I deeply feared that when the locals learned of Alain's murder, that Edgrin would put the blame on me. Every night, I worried I would look down and see a line of torches snaking its way up from the village as they hunt me down. I had been entertaining the thought of running away, but I have nowhere to go."


Female Human Sw/Ro/Su 1/1/2 HP 14/34 AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 17 | F +0 | R +6 | W +5 | Init +2 | Per +7

I try to avoid too much sun, myself...

Parents? Who were they and where are they, now?


Tian Flowing Monk 5 | HP: 43| AC: 25 FF 19 T 21 (+1 for each adjacent)| Fort: +7 Ref: +9 Will: +8 | Perception: +11| Init: +4

When the group leaves the tower, Chao had not left his post, as promised.

sign language:
"Who is she? She looks strange. And scared."


Elven Bolt Ace | HP: 20| AC: 17 FF 14 T 13 | Fort: +5 Ref: +6 Will: +1 (+2 vs enchant) | Perception: +8| Init: +3

Shontar was heading the group leave the tower and awaited the rest. Answering Chao in sign language he explained the rough details. His sign was not very good.

"I fear that your parents are not with us anymore. Otherwise you'd be with them, wouldn't you? Oh, btw, this is Chao and the tree is, ahmmmm, I forgot the name...", he points at Faun's companion.

He paused and thought for a moment.

"Maybe, since we're kind of the new law in this town, we need to find who really killed that Alain and clear her name..."


"My parents were bean farmers. We lived on the forest's edge, in the shadow of the foothills south of the Vistear. I watched consumption take my mother when I was only a girl. My father just left home one day and never returned. Some folks told me he went to Lastwall to become a knight, others said he marched into Virlych to give himself over to some dark power. I think he just went and drank himself to death. I would like to change the subject. I've spent years of my life trying not to think about those memories."

Lenora sighs heavily, sagging beneath the weight of her explanation. She follows you down the winding stairs, and her eyes go agog at the sight of Ornmeil'lon. The voiceless Tian man does not surprise her as much, until he begins speaking with (what appears to her as) flailing of his fingers.

"I found Alain's body inside the old prison," she says, aiming a lean finger towards the looming old building. "I only ever went inside when he or Edgrin came to visit, so we could have both privacy and a modicum of comfort. The first time I ever went inside alone was when I heard him scream, to see what was the matter. That's when I found him, with a terrible gash upon his back - as though attacked from behind with an axe or blade. I only looked briefly before running away to hide. After a couple days, I summoned enough courage to look again, but his body was gone. I dare not go inside again."

Lenora perks up at Shontar's declaration that the party is now the "law" in Ravengro, and her yellow eyes brighten.

”Well, I certainly hope this will be a good change. If you can bring justice for both Alain and me, I would be beyond grateful.”


Elf Druid (Treesinger) 5| hp 44/44 | Init+2 | Perc+10 | AC 16 TAC 13 FF 14 | CMB +5 | CMD 18 | Fort +6 Ref +4 Will +8

Does it appear as though Ornmeil'lon would fit inside the prison? Or would he need to wait outside?


Faun Daedys wrote:
Does it appear as though Ornmeil'lon would fit inside the prison? Or would he need to wait outside?

The ceilings in the prison are 12 feet high, so I believe Ornmeil'lon would be able to fit inside. Most of the doors are rotted off their hinges, so he can also squeeze through the doorways.


Female Human Sw/Ro/Su 1/1/2 HP 14/34 AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 17 | F +0 | R +6 | W +5 | Init +2 | Per +7

Valeska send lost in thought. Shall we break for midday, before we continue?


Elf Druid (Treesinger) 5| hp 44/44 | Init+2 | Perc+10 | AC 16 TAC 13 FF 14 | CMB +5 | CMD 18 | Fort +6 Ref +4 Will +8
DM Vayelan wrote:


"I found Alain's body inside the old prison," she says, aiming a lean finger towards the looming old building. "I only ever went inside when he or Edgrin came to visit, so we could have both privacy and a modicum of comfort. The first time I ever went inside alone was when I heard him scream, to see what was the matter. That's when I found him, with a terrible gash upon his back - as though attacked from behind with an axe or blade. I only looked briefly before running away to hide. After a couple days, I summoned enough courage to look again, but his body was gone. I dare not go inside again."

Lenora perks up at Shontar's declaration that the party is now the "law" in Ravengro, and her yellow eyes brighten.

”Well, I certainly hope this will be a good change. If you can bring justice for both Alain and me, I would be beyond grateful.”

"Dear Lenora, you've forthright with us, I shall be forthright with you. The reason I came upon you in the first place is that the town council has tasked us with doing something about this Harrowstone Prison. Whether it serves as a prison ever again is left to be said but, from what I gather, the town was very prosperous when this prison was..."she tries to find the right word.. "..active? In any case, the council wants the people to stop regarding this building with fear and superstition, and to understand that nothing is lurking withing. However," she turns her gaze into unnatural darkness lurking inside the prison, "there may yet be one more evil to be found inside the Harrowstone prison."

Turning her attention back to Lenora, she gently speaks what has been on her mind. "I know you have no wish to enter, but we must. I do not want to leave you out here alone, but will not force you to enter against your will. If you are willing, Lenora, will you be our guide? A light to shine out and drive away darkness?"


Lenora holds her breath for a moment before releasing a heavy sigh.

"I will go with you," she speaks, as though voicing a confession. "With whatever now haunts this place, to be alone is more terrifying than being within that old prison. I'm not a terribly knowledgeable guide, but if it will put these grim matters to rest, then I will do my best."

With Lenora and the party escorting one another down the stairs, you walk betwixt the crumbling warden's house and the stout, looming old prison. Past the wizened elm tree growing amid the circular path, you pass beneath the shadow of the second floor balcony. By virtue of your keen senses and various expertise, you idly observe that the balcony is structurally unsound. If your exploration brings you to the upper floor, you make a note to exercise utter caution upon that balcony.

You cross the yawning entrance, through the sagging ceiling of the hall, bringing you into the foyer. Streaks of mold stain the walls of this foyer, and the floor below is a thick, gray carpet of fungal growth. Sturdy wooden doors beckon from every wall.

Lenora pauses and nervously takes in her surroundings, trying to regain her bearings.

"The infirmary is straight down that hall," she says, pointing dead ahead. "The hall to the left holds a row of offices. The auditorium is on the right. That's...that's where I first found Alain's body."

I've updated the encounter/exploration map. Each square on this map represents 10 feet, so we'll use Ornmeil'lon's token to represent the party's approximate location.


Female Human Sw/Ro/Su 1/1/2 HP 14/34 AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 17 | F +0 | R +6 | W +5 | Init +2 | Per +7

Offices?


M Cavalier Cavalier 5 HP: 42/62| AC:21(24)| T: 12| FF:20(23)| Fort:+8 | Ref: +4 | Will: +7| Init: +2| Perception: +11

Kain nods

Then let us go to the auditorium first and foremost. We can proceed from there.


"I assumed they were offices," Lenora replies as she crosses the foyer with the party. "They're filled with rickety chairs and tables and lots of cabinets filled with old documents collecting mold and dust."

She pushes open the doors to the auditorium. Several rows of wooden benches, all spotted with mold and sagging with neglect, face a stage walled off from the rest of the room by a wall of iron bars. An oblong, dark stain sits upon the cold, gray stone tiles of the floor.

Feel free to make skill checks to investigate the scene.


M Cavalier Cavalier 5 HP: 42/62| AC:21(24)| T: 12| FF:20(23)| Fort:+8 | Ref: +4 | Will: +7| Init: +2| Perception: +11

Kain will look around the room a bit before approaching the stain. Looking for anything that seems recently disturbed or out of place.

perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (12) + 10 = 22

I admit, investigating is not my strongest area, but, you said this happened two or three days ago?

He asks as he moves to examine the stain. As a quick addition, he will glance around to the others as he looks over the stain, looking for anything that may indicate drag marks, tracks, or anything of the sort.

perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (2) + 10 = 12

Valeska, Faun, have you seen anything here that could aid our cause?


Lenora nods her head in mute reply to Kain's question, and the disturbed dust and lack of cobwebs in this part of the auditorium corroborates the fact that people have been in here recently. In fact, several of the pews here in the southern portion of the chamber have been upended and damaged - the exposed wood attesting to how recently these furnishings were fractured.

Kain:
The damaged pews also show signs of localized scorching, as though exposed to intense heat if not actual open flame. Clefts in the ground and broken pews suggest that someone was wildly swinging a large sword or axe.

You also identify rounded patterns of ash and soot upon the floor, as though tracing the steps of someone who walked through a fireplace, although these are not shaped like any humanoid footprints.

Survival: 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 5 + 2 = 22

These "footsteps" - if indeed they can be called such - lead between the bloodstain and the double doors to the east, opposite from where you entered the auditorium.

You also identify more definitively humanoid footprints near the bloodstain upon the floor - in addition to strange smearing of the blood itself. These bloody footprints lead from the stain and towards the door where you entered. As best as you can tell, the blood had already partly dried when these tracks were made.


Elf Druid (Treesinger) 5| hp 44/44 | Init+2 | Perc+10 | AC 16 TAC 13 FF 14 | CMB +5 | CMD 18 | Fort +6 Ref +4 Will +8

Survival: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (14) + 11 = 25
Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12

Faun silently approaches, keep her eyes ever aware of her peripherals, and examines what is obviously dried blood on the stone floor.


Elven Bolt Ace | HP: 20| AC: 17 FF 14 T 13 | Fort: +5 Ref: +6 Will: +1 (+2 vs enchant) | Perception: +8| Init: +3

Survival: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24
Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17

"We're obviously on the right track..."


Tian Flowing Monk 5 | HP: 43| AC: 25 FF 19 T 21 (+1 for each adjacent)| Fort: +7 Ref: +9 Will: +8 | Perception: +11| Init: +4

Survival: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20

Chao only nods...


M Cavalier Cavalier 5 HP: 42/62| AC:21(24)| T: 12| FF:20(23)| Fort:+8 | Ref: +4 | Will: +7| Init: +2| Perception: +11

Kain points out the trail of soot before looking to Faun and Shontar.

Faun, Shontar, both of you seem experienced in creatures of the natural world, at least, more so than I. Do either of you know what would leave such strange shaped tracks?


Female Human Sw/Ro/Su 1/1/2 HP 14/34 AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 17 | F +0 | R +6 | W +5 | Init +2 | Per +7

I care little for mystery, especially the kind that engenders hesitation and holds back progress. I think we shall have or answer,

...soon enough.

perception, sounds from further within: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21
spellcraft, scorched marks: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25


Faun and Shontar:
You recognize the sooty tracks as being hoof-shaped, yet the creature that made them walks upright upon two legs.

Valeska:
No ordinary fire left the scorchmarks upon the floor and pews. Not only was the source magical, but traces of brimstone leave you suspecting some kind of demonic entity.

Drawing closer to the door on the far side of the auditorium, you feel the air grow less cold than you've encountered around the rest of the prison grounds. Tentatively placing your hand against the door, you find it warm to the touch.


Elven Bolt Ace | HP: 20| AC: 17 FF 14 T 13 | Fort: +5 Ref: +6 Will: +1 (+2 vs enchant) | Perception: +8| Init: +3

"Remind me, what creature walks upright, but has hooves for feet? The devil himself?" Shontar seemed slightly uncomfortable.


Female Human Sw/Ro/Su 1/1/2 HP 14/34 AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 17 | F +0 | R +6 | W +5 | Init +2 | Per +7

Valeska steps away slowly... lowering her voice. Brimstone... demons and devils. Probably still here, behind that door. Warm to the touch.


M Cavalier Cavalier 5 HP: 42/62| AC:21(24)| T: 12| FF:20(23)| Fort:+8 | Ref: +4 | Will: +7| Init: +2| Perception: +11

If what you say is true, than its good we are here. We can't leave such a dangerous creature free to roam around the area. Especially under the current circumstances... But are not most demons or devils summoned to this plane?

He asks the others, drawing his cold-iron longsword.


My apologies for the delay. This past weekend kicked my butt.

Lenora shifts nervously upon her feet, clearly unnerved by your words.

"Demons and devils?" she asks, her voice cracking and coming out as a squeak.

She looks to the door behind her, from whence you all came, then back to the party. She cannot tell whether it would be safer to flee or stay close to you.

"What if...what if such a fiend killed Alain?" she muses, her fear growing at the prospect. "Or worse - what if poor Alain turned into such a monster after Edgrin murdered him?"


Elf Druid (Treesinger) 5| hp 44/44 | Init+2 | Perc+10 | AC 16 TAC 13 FF 14 | CMB +5 | CMD 18 | Fort +6 Ref +4 Will +8

With a sudden hardness and piercing eyes, Faunlara rebukes Shontar, "You're not helping."
Her softness returns, despite the sharp features of her chin, ears, and cheekbones.
"Lenora, calm yourself. That's your fear speaking, not you. No one here is in the business of guessing games. Such things only feeds the fear."

Choosing to a tone of gentle insistence, she adds "I know you're not keen on being here, but the safest place for you is with us. Strength in numbers. It won't be long before we see the sun again."

With that, Faun pulls out her club, slowly approaching the door Valeska gestured at.

Ornmeil'lon stays close to Lenora.

As she approaches, Faun is looking to see if the door is damaged, or if a lock has been broken or something like that.
Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11

Prepared Spells wrote:


Orisons: Create Water, Detect Magic, Guidance, Light
1st Level: CLW(x2), Frostbite, Shillelagh
2nd Level: Glide, Resist Energy (x2)


Elven Bolt Ace | HP: 20| AC: 17 FF 14 T 13 | Fort: +5 Ref: +6 Will: +1 (+2 vs enchant) | Perception: +8| Init: +3

Shontar makes a wasn't-me-face after Faun's rebuke. To distract, he draws his crossbow and holds it up, readying himself.


Female Human Sw/Ro/Su 1/1/2 HP 14/34 AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 17 | F +0 | R +6 | W +5 | Init +2 | Per +7

Whatever may come, there will be closure and the knowledge that... your Alian, rests in peace.


The door hangs unevenly upon its rusted hinges. Faun finds no evidence of a lock ever having secured this door, but it has not been treated kindly. The old wood is splintering, and there are signs that someone has been opening and closing it very roughly.


Female Human Sw/Ro/Su 1/1/2 HP 14/34 AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 17 | F +0 | R +6 | W +5 | Init +2 | Per +7

Sasha, let's introduce ourselves. Fortune favors the bold. Valeska moves through the door.


The northeast wall of this room has partially fallen, revealing the dark, murky waters of the pond outside. Moldering training dummies and other similar equipment hint that this room may have once been a training area for the guards. In the northeast part of the room, the floor around a dark, jagged hole is surrounded by black scorch marks.

The smell of sulfur hangs heavily upon the air, almost seeming to cling to the walls themselves like caked dust. The light of a large fire glows through the smashed door and wall to the north, casting its orange light upon the stagnant water sitting to the east, at the prison's feet. The fading light of dusk and the chill upon the wind, creeping through the broken walls, contrasts with the reddish light and overbearing heat emanating from the furnace room to the north.

Perception DC 15:
Above the creaking of wood, the lapping of water, and the whistling of the wind, you can hear a metallic grinding noise from the furnace room ahead. This is accompanied by a bestial snorting sound, as though from an aggravated animal.

Faun:

Thanks to Knowledge (Nature)

The fire ahead burns unnaturally, its color and the movement of its light being unlike the burning of ordinary wood or charcoal.

Shontar:

Thanks to Chao's Knowledge (Religion)

Chao signs to you that he suspects the fire ahead to be affected by a demonic presence.


Female Human Sw/Ro/Su 1/1/2 HP 14/34 AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 17 | F +0 | R +6 | W +5 | Init +2 | Per +7

perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19

Shh... can you hear it? A grinding, perhaps... dunno, of metal on a whetstone? And a grunting, bestial.

We're about to crash a party.


M Cavalier Cavalier 5 HP: 42/62| AC:21(24)| T: 12| FF:20(23)| Fort:+8 | Ref: +4 | Will: +7| Init: +2| Perception: +11

Kain readies his cold-iron longsword and shield before nodding.

Then let us be done with it. We can't allow such a creature or creatures to be so close to the town, especially in the state it is in currently. I may not be as proficient at foot combat as I am mounted, but I am no pushover.

301 to 350 of 471 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Strength and Fear: An Ustalavic Kingmaker Campaign All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.