Strength and Fear: An Ustalavic Kingmaker Campaign

Game Master vayelan

Map: The Town of Ravengro
Map: Harrowstone Grounds

Current Encounter: Harrowstone Prison


151 to 200 of 471 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

M Cavalier Cavalier 5 HP: 42/62| AC:21(24)| T: 12| FF:20(23)| Fort:+8 | Ref: +4 | Will: +7| Init: +2| Perception: +11

here is where it can get a lil cheesy... with escape route, my and my mount won't actually provoke any AoOs from this. I wasn't sure about it, but I did a bit of reading and that seems to be the consensus, if you wanna rule it differently just let me know and I'll be fine with it. Also, I would get an AoO on the first orc that moved to me since a lance has reach.

with his oppenents death, Kain's senses again focus more on the happenings of all that is around him, however not quite fast enough to notice the orc coming to strike him.

AoO: 1d20 + 9 - 2 ⇒ (4) + 9 - 2 = 11

Kain urges Valere forward away from the orcs and rounding one of the burning buildings to reach chao and the orc mystic. He thrusts his spear at the shaman.

attack: 1d20 + 9 - 2 ⇒ (11) + 9 - 2 = 18

damage: 1d8 + 13 ⇒ (7) + 13 = 20


DM Screen:

War Drummer Will Save, Morale: 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 4 + 2 = 15
Valere Reflex Save vs Grease: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21
Summoned Fiendish Dog Bite, Smite Good vs Chao: 1d20 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 + 2 = 23
Damage: 1d4 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 + 1 = 4
Summoned Fiendish Dog Bite, Smite Good vs Chao: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6

Sergeant Falchion vs Valere: 1d20 + 9 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 9 + 1 = 20

Sergeant Falchion vs Treant: 1d20 + 9 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 9 + 1 = 13

Orc Spear vs Kain: 1d20 + 5 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 5 + 1 = 13
Orc Spear vs Kain: 1d20 + 5 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 5 + 1 = 21

Orc by Sasha Will Save, Morale: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (15) - 1 = 14
Orc by Valeska Will Save, Morale: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (17) - 1 = 16
Orc by Faun Will Save, Morale: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (20) - 1 = 19

Orc Falchion vs Treant: 1d20 + 5 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 5 + 1 = 11
Orc Falchion vs Valeska: 1d20 + 5 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 5 + 1 = 11

Faun's arrow plunges into the orc's back and shakes his courage, but with his sergeant nearby, maintains enough nerve not to run - even as the treant sapling delivers a powerful, crushing blow to his sergeant. Both the orc grunt and sergeant see their attacks brushed aside by sweeping parries of Ornmeil'lon's arms.

The war drummer howls another spell, calling forth a gout of magic Grease to bubble from the earth beneath Valere's hooves. However, the well-trained horse maintains its footing and does not betray its rider by letting him slip off.

The orc mystic casts a spell and wreathes himself in a magic shroud to protect himself against good, although it does not come in time to save him from a mortal wound from Kain's lance. It also fails to save him as Chao darts in and leaves him tumbling to the ground, with Sibeesha's hawk raking its talons across his flailing arms. The summoned, fiendish dogs, sensing that they are warded against attacking the horse, turn their attention to the monk. One manages to sink its teeth into Chao's leg.

Valeska and Sasha each deliver terrible wounds to an orc, leaving one unconscious and the other fleeing for its life. In fact, nearly half of the remaining orc grunts begin to retreat. The few who remain to fight make futile swings against Kain, Valeska, and Ornmeil'lon

The two sergeants remain resolute despite their injuries, but as they draw their heavy blades, find their attacks foiled - one by Valere's barding and the other by the treant's nimble evasion.

Chao takes 4 damage from one of the Fiendish Dog's Smite Good. All the other enemy attacks miss. There is also a patch of Grease beneath Valere.
You are turning the tide! Please post your next actions.


Elf Druid (Treesinger) 5| hp 44/44 | Init+2 | Perc+10 | AC 16 TAC 13 FF 14 | CMB +5 | CMD 18 | Fort +6 Ref +4 Will +8

Faun with fists of thorny wood, steps in behind the orc that is between her and Ornmeil’lon, striking with surprising force.

Wooden Fist unarmed attack, flanking: 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 5 + 2 = 17
dmg: 1d3 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 + 2 = 7

—————-

Ornmeil’lon continues to berate the sergeant.
Slam 1: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12
damage: 1d8 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15

Slam 2: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (17) + 9 = 26
damage: 1d8 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12

ongoing effects wrote:


Aspect of the falcon 9/40
Wooden fist 1/6

Ornmeil’lon hp 4/34


M Cavalier Cavalier 5 HP: 42/62| AC:21(24)| T: 12| FF:20(23)| Fort:+8 | Ref: +4 | Will: +7| Init: +2| Perception: +11

Valere lashes out with teeth and hoof against the orcs poking and prodding him. He focuses on the sargent at Kain's direction.

attackbite: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16
damage: 1d4 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9

attackhoof: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20
damage: 1d6 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10

attackhoof: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6

Kain also returns the Sargent's strike from early with a powerful thrust of his spear if he still stands.

lanceattack: 1d20 + 9 - 2 ⇒ (17) + 9 - 2 = 24
damage: 1d8 + 10 ⇒ (3) + 10 = 13

27/53 hp. AC 24


Tian Flowing Monk 5 | HP: 43| AC: 25 FF 19 T 21 (+1 for each adjacent)| Fort: +7 Ref: +9 Will: +8 | Perception: +11| Init: +4

did you factor in the +1 AC per adjacent enemy? (max +3)


Chao wrote:
did you factor in the +1 AC per adjacent enemy? (max +3)

Thank you for reminding me. With that bonus, the summoned dog misses.


Female Human Sw/Ro/Su 1/1/2 HP 14/34 AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 17 | F +0 | R +6 | W +5 | Init +2 | Per +7

Raising her voice above the din. Food? Water? Why do you fight?

Valeska lowers her starknife. Sasha gives the Orc a route by which to withdraw.

There can be peace! Go! Tell your people!

diplomacy, stop fighting & withdraw with wounded: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (15) + 12 = 27

Are there Orcs, just fallen (immediate vicinity)... That can be healed/helped to withdraw? Looking for an olive branch.


Elven Bolt Ace | HP: 20| AC: 17 FF 14 T 13 | Fort: +5 Ref: +6 Will: +1 (+2 vs enchant) | Perception: +8| Init: +3

Shontar reloads, steps forward and shoots at the lone war drummer.

attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24
confirm: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10
damage: 1d10 ⇒ 1

He definitely hit this one!


Tian Flowing Monk 5 | HP: 43| AC: 25 FF 19 T 21 (+1 for each adjacent)| Fort: +7 Ref: +9 Will: +8 | Perception: +11| Init: +4

Chao eyes the mystic lying on the ground and determines this one out.
He helps Valere and trips the orange orc and hurls him over his shoulder.

Trip: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (12) + 14 = 26

then he readies himself in case someone tries to stand up or crawl away.

AoOs:

Trip: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (17) + 15 = 32
Trip: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (3) + 15 = 18

If someone, e.g. a dog, attacks he will redirect the momentum into a trip.

immediate redirect:

Trip: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (1) + 16 = 17

I turned the prone enemies' tokens by 90°


Female Sylph Wizard 4 | HP:28/28 | AC: 15/ FF 12/ T 13 | Fort: +4 Ref: +4 Will: +4 | Perception: +4| Init: +3

Sibe moves up and fires her crossbow at one of the purple wolves on Chao.

Attack: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23
Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 1

Her hawk flies back into the sky, to get out of range.


DM Screen:

War Drummer Morale: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10
Summoned Fiendish Dog, Bite vs Chao: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12
Summoned Fiendish Dog, Bite vs Chao: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5

The first undeniable sign that you have turned the tide of battle in favor of Ravengro, the warband's drummer ceases the pounding upon his drums. Instead of offering guttural encouragement to his floundering kin or working any more of his own magic, he turns to flee so that he might play and pillage another day. When Shontar's bolt grazes his back, leaving a future scar, this only encourages his escape.

Ornmeil’lon's last strike slays the orcish sergeant, ending his bloodlust by ushering him into the Boneyard. Faun's own attack does not kill her target, but sends him fleeing - or rather, limping - from the battlefield.

The strikes from Kain and Valere ensure that when Chao delivers his flowing throw, the sergeant strikes the ground and lands in the Boneyard. Meanwhile, the monk's nimble footwork also keeps the orc shaman upon the ground, unable to work any magic.

The raking talons of Sibeesha's hawk harass the summoned hounds, perhaps leaving them relieved when the shaman who summoned them eventually slips into unconsciousness and the summoning contract expires.

At last, Valeska's words strike deeply at the heart of the remaining few orc grunts. She may never know whether they even understand her Common Taldane, but the tone is enough to send them fleeing from the doomed battle. They join the few orcs on the periphery that have also been repulsed by the efforts of the town militia.

Nevertheless, its is quite clear for all to see that this victory belongs solely to you.

The raiders are routed, the battle is won, and the town is saved. The orc shaman is bleeding out. The rest of the raiders are either dead or fleeing.


Female Human Sw/Ro/Su 1/1/2 HP 14/34 AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 17 | F +0 | R +6 | W +5 | Init +2 | Per +7

Sasha's roar is more leonine in timber and volume, as he revels in the enemy's reaction to Valeska.

Valeska checks the wounded, townsfolk and Orcs alike, asking for help with triage.

This is your chance, to change things forever and break the vicious cycle. Heal their wounded and send them home with full stomaches and baskets of food and vessels of fresh water.

Show grace, nercy and give hope. Spread love instead of hate. There is nothing stronger.


M Cavalier Cavalier 5 HP: 42/62| AC:21(24)| T: 12| FF:20(23)| Fort:+8 | Ref: +4 | Will: +7| Init: +2| Perception: +11

Kain will chase down the fleeing orcs for a ways, skewering a straggler or two that was too slow to get into more difficult terrain. He sees others fleeing, and could easily catch them, but just barely stops himself.

no, stop it. Don't fall to that hate again. We have to check for survivors in the fires and wreckage. Life comes first.

He urges Valere back to the church.

He looks to Valeska.

I very much doubt that would do anything but shame them. Orcs are not like us, they cannot understand anything but strength. What little this town has left should go to caring for its citizens and those that have lost near everything today, perhaps even loved ones!

Kain is almost shouting at the end of his statement, but quickly bows his head with a grimace.

Apologies, I should not shout. You can tend to the fallen quickly, if you so desire, but do not tarry long on them. I doubt the people of this town will be so forgiving, and it is their judgement that those here that survived must face. For now we must search the buildings for anyone that may still be alive and try to salvage what may be salvaged. Set about having the majority of the militia try and deal with the fires on the buildings that may still be saved. The others should see to rounding up any survivors that may have managed to hide. A thought occurs to him, what had happened to silverwing.

I must check something, I will be back shortly. He will rush to the edge of the woods and try to find silverwing.


Elven Bolt Ace | HP: 20| AC: 17 FF 14 T 13 | Fort: +5 Ref: +6 Will: +1 (+2 vs enchant) | Perception: +8| Init: +3

"Well, I guess, we got that sorted out. You think an orc head would be a suitable trophy for my wall at home, Chao?"

Shontar inspects the fallen orcs and their gear.


Female Human Sw/Ro/Su 1/1/2 HP 14/34 AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 17 | F +0 | R +6 | W +5 | Init +2 | Per +7

They can decide for themselves, once they have heard the options. It is not our place to impose our will. Perhaps you have experienced events that cause you feel and behave this way.

I do not judge you, save... that you perpetuate a cycle. Until, you heal enough to step back and consider the greater scheme, how will you ever rise above it and claim your destiny?

It shall always control you. And, it is not the wisest general, not the one who cares for those under his command.

Turning to Shontar.

Making a trophy of a sentient being, ughh... No words. As if to emphasize Valeska's message, Sasha coils and lets out a low sustained growl.


Tian Flowing Monk 5 | HP: 43| AC: 25 FF 19 T 21 (+1 for each adjacent)| Fort: +7 Ref: +9 Will: +8 | Perception: +11| Init: +4

Chao shakes his head as well.


Female Human Sw/Ro/Su 1/1/2 HP 14/34 AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 17 | F +0 | R +6 | W +5 | Init +2 | Per +7
Chao wrote:
Chao shakes his head as well.

Chao, is it? A pleasure to meet you, though I wish it were under better circumstances. Excellent work, back there.

Sasha, and I am Valeska. Let's help some people. Would love to chat more, once the work is done.

Valeska seeks it the town leaders, after giving strict orders that no Orcs be killed, and the wounded be restrained and triaged, being more valuable... alive.

Sasha stays close, but deters any looking to harm helpless Orcs.


Tian Flowing Monk 5 | HP: 43| AC: 25 FF 19 T 21 (+1 for each adjacent)| Fort: +7 Ref: +9 Will: +8 | Perception: +11| Init: +4

Chao smiles very friendly and bows silently towards Valeska. He makes no indication or movement otherwise.


Elf Druid (Treesinger) 5| hp 44/44 | Init+2 | Perc+10 | AC 16 TAC 13 FF 14 | CMB +5 | CMD 18 | Fort +6 Ref +4 Will +8

Faun continues to try to dowse buildings by creating water. She directs Ornmeil'lon to investigate the first building she had already quenched, to see if there are people trapped inside. Faun is listening for cries of help, or worse, among the burning buildings, and keeping her eyes open for survivors as well.

Ornmeil'lon perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23

Faunlara perception: 1d20 + 9 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 9 + 3 = 31

Her hands also return to normal, the rough thorny bark becoming soft pale pink skin once more.

Ongoing effects wrote:


Aspect of the Falcon
9/40 rnds

Ornmeil'lon
hp 4/34


Ornmeil'lon calls Faun's attention over to the cottage whose roof she initially doused with water. The young treant pulls aside one of the fallen rafter beams that blocked the door. A family with their three children emerge, coughing, from a cellar dug into the earth beneath their home.

In a nearby field, Valeska and Sibeesha discover a few more local farmers on their knees, heaped together like loot by the dispatched raiders. Some of them have their hands bound, while others have had their ankles smashed to prevent escape. Presumably, these poor souls were gathered to be hauled back to Belkzen as slaves. They are terribly frightened and their injuries are quite painful, but none of the wounds appear immediately life-threatening.

Shontar:
The majority of the felled orcs carry simple weapons of beaten iron and armor made from furred hides and thick leather. The officers carry arms of a slightly better stripe, as well as a few leather skins that might contain potions. One item that draws your immediate attention is the cloak worn by the orc commander; it is surprisingly well woven from soft white cloth, fringed with red.

Kain:
You find Silverwing right where you left the feathery critter. The young griffon has been watching the fires of battle from afar. You get the sense that Silverwing had a latent desire to enter the fray, but for now thought better of the recklessness.


Female Human Sw/Ro/Su 1/1/2 HP 14/34 AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 17 | F +0 | R +6 | W +5 | Init +2 | Per +7

Valeska cuts them all loose.

Let's make our way to the church, if you need assistance we are happy to help...

If you need a stretcher, we'll find one.


Elf Druid (Treesinger) 5| hp 44/44 | Init+2 | Perc+10 | AC 16 TAC 13 FF 14 | CMB +5 | CMD 18 | Fort +6 Ref +4 Will +8

Faun rushes over to them, kneeling down, addressing the parents but looking at the children, ensuring they are okay. Aware of the strange looks the children give her, she willfully ends the effects of her aspect of the falcon spell, causing her eyes to normalize and the feathers to... well not be feathers anymore.

Heal: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11(If you would allow it, Heal check to identify injuries/conditions on the family).

She draws out a small wooden cup from her pack and, once again, casts create water, but just enough to fill the cup. She lets each child drink the pure water and then let's the parents have a turn.

"Do you have a place where you can go? A relative in town, perhaps? If not," she gently places 5 pieces of gold into the mother's hands, "why don't you head to the Outside Inn and get these kids something to eat? You two might also prefer something stronger than water right now. We can rebuild tomorrow. Tonight, you're safe. Hold on to that."


Female Sylph Wizard 4 | HP:28/28 | AC: 15/ FF 12/ T 13 | Fort: +4 Ref: +4 Will: +4 | Perception: +4| Init: +3

Sibe nods, Rebuilding after something like this is important. Never give up.


The rescued family is dirty with soot, and they cough vehemently, indicative of smoke inhalation. Keeping low in the cellar, beneath the smoke and flames, spared them the worst of it, and Faun recognizes that they will recover with rest.

They gratefully accept the water to cleanse their parched, smoky throats. However, the shock of the incident seems to numb the mother, who does not fully process the small fortune placed into her calloused, dirt-caked palms.

Valeska and Sibeesha can hear survivors within the temple. Soft voices chanting prayers of protection and forgiveness are overshadowed by those calling for help.


Elf Druid (Treesinger) 5| hp 44/44 | Init+2 | Perc+10 | AC 16 TAC 13 FF 14 | CMB +5 | CMD 18 | Fort +6 Ref +4 Will +8

(If someone alerts Faun and Orn to the situation they will come assist).


M Cavalier Cavalier 5 HP: 42/62| AC:21(24)| T: 12| FF:20(23)| Fort:+8 | Ref: +4 | Will: +7| Init: +2| Perception: +11

after making sure Silverwing was safe, Kain returns to the city to help in finding survivors and salvage what can be. If told, Kain would try and breach the church to let those inside manage to get out.


Female Human Sw/Ro/Su 1/1/2 HP 14/34 AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 17 | F +0 | R +6 | W +5 | Init +2 | Per +7

Over here! Cries for help...

Valeska tries to get closer to the sounds.

Valeska, Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17
Sasha, Perception: 1d20 ⇒ 10


Elf Druid (Treesinger) 5| hp 44/44 | Init+2 | Perc+10 | AC 16 TAC 13 FF 14 | CMB +5 | CMD 18 | Fort +6 Ref +4 Will +8

"Is it likely to collapse if Ornmeil'lon breaks in the front doors?!" shouts Faun.

If no one advises against it, Ornmeil'lon will begin slamming into the doors of the temple, as he deals double damage against objects.


The Pharasmin temple is quite sturdy, and even with the added impact of the treant's limbs, it is unlikely to collapse - at least not immediately. With each passing moment, the spreading fire compromises more of the structure.

"Please help!" shouts a male voice from within now that he is aware of rescuers nearby. "We barricaded the doors to keep the orcs out, but now we can't get out!"


Female Human Sw/Ro/Su 1/1/2 HP 14/34 AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 17 | F +0 | R +6 | W +5 | Init +2 | Per +7

Step away from the door, we will ram it!

Valeska motions to Faun and the young Treant. Then prepares to rush in with a bucket of water.


Elf Druid (Treesinger) 5| hp 44/44 | Init+2 | Perc+10 | AC 16 TAC 13 FF 14 | CMB +5 | CMD 18 | Fort +6 Ref +4 Will +8

Faun does nothing more than look from Ornmeil'lon to the doors of the temple and the young treant understands. It begins slamming into the temple entrance, as Faun dowses the all the fire she can see with water.

Slam 1: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (8) + 9 = 17
damage: 1d8 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15
Slam 2: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16
damage: 1d8 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10
(double damage against objects)


Ornmeil'lon's first strike splinters the sturdy wooden doors to the temple, providing a glimpse inside. You can briefly see, illuminated by the glow of the burning rafters, the soot-streaked, panicked faces of a handful of acolytes within. The second of the treant's mighty blows demolishes the doors and the wooden furnishings barricading it. A half-dozen acolytes stream out of the now-open doorway. They carry a few relics with them, saving them from the fires.

They are straight away joined by their fellow Pharasmins who pour across the bridges with the rest of the militia, followed soon after by many other townsfolk. Seeing the orcs routed, but understanding that the battle is not entirely won, the folk of Ravengro join the fight against the burning fires.


Female Human Sw/Ro/Su 1/1/2 HP 14/34 AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 17 | F +0 | R +6 | W +5 | Init +2 | Per +7

Valeska, understanding time is of the essence asks the fleeing acolytes... Is anyone else in there? Is anyone missing?


"No...we were the only ones who stayed behind to tend the temple," one of the gray-garbed priestesses replies. "Everyone else had accompanied Father Grimburrow to the festival."

Meanwhile, the small army of villagers gathers buckets, casks, and other vessels. They rush between the stream and the burning buildings, dousing them haphazardly with water to combat the flames.


Female Human Sw/Ro/Su 1/1/2 HP 14/34 AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 17 | F +0 | R +6 | W +5 | Init +2 | Per +7

Great job everyone, let's be purposeful with the water... be attentive and steady.

Valeska then turns to her companions. Thank you, friends Ornmeil'lon and Faun, you too Sibeesha.

Where are the others?

She turns to see what other crisis exist are are being tended to buy the knight, monk and... Ugh.


Elven Bolt Ace | HP: 20| AC: 17 FF 14 T 13 | Fort: +5 Ref: +6 Will: +1 (+2 vs enchant) | Perception: +8| Init: +3

Meanwhile Shontar and Chao found a few buckets and tried to organize a human chain from the river to the first burning house.

"Come on people. It's not that difficult. Look. You there! Find more buckets!" Shontar shouts at the townsfolk claiming the invention of the human chain.


Female Sylph Wizard 4 | HP:28/28 | AC: 15/ FF 12/ T 13 | Fort: +4 Ref: +4 Will: +4 | Perception: +4| Init: +3

Nodding, Sibe agrees. "Water is an essential part of life. Sometimes, its always around, but not all the time."


With some direction and discipline, the villagers form a far more effective bucket brigade. Many of the outlying farmhouses are already collapsing into heaps of burning wood and thatch, and others yet are extinguished but are in no shape to be considered "saved." Nevertheless, your combined efforts halt the spread of the fires and manage to save at least some of the homes.

Father Grimburrow hobbles about, his wizened lips growling commands to his acolytes and guiding their efforts to save the temple. Despite their magic and divine pleas, summoning gouts of water to staunch the flames, the roof of the Pharasmin temple soon collapses inward with a great crash. A plume of dust and ash washes outward from the broken doors and windows like the terrible sulfurous breath of a demon.

Work continues through the night. Only a small handful of villagers were slain in the attack, and although injuries are plentiful, not a soul was carried off by the raiders to be placed into bondage. Despite their insular nature, the hushed talk among the Ravengro folk makes it clear that this disaster has been averted and this victory secured entirely through the valiant efforts of the visiting heroes - you.


M Cavalier Cavalier 5 HP: 42/62| AC:21(24)| T: 12| FF:20(23)| Fort:+8 | Ref: +4 | Will: +7| Init: +2| Perception: +11

Kain moves around the villagers, checking up on them before he returns to the only people he knows to be the leadership of the town. The mayor, and the sheriff.

Well, hard won, but a good outcome, all things considered. I won't lie. The last time I cross blades with orcs assaulting a town, things did not go nearly as well. He looks around at the half ruins of the town.

So, what are your plans now? Will you be able to rebuild?


Female Human Sw/Ro/Su 1/1/2 HP 14/34 AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 17 | F +0 | R +6 | W +5 | Init +2 | Per +7

Any loss of life affects us all, but we must cherish the memories of those lost and honor the lives they lived.

Turn out energies toward peace, love and inclusion. Support those most affected, rebuild even stronger and better understand the cause... So that we may remedy it.

Valeska is solemn, as she scans the faces around her. There will always be war mongers, best to spot them.


M Cavalier Cavalier 5 HP: 42/62| AC:21(24)| T: 12| FF:20(23)| Fort:+8 | Ref: +4 | Will: +7| Init: +2| Perception: +11

The cause of this He gestures the remains of the raided houses.
...Is the Orc's way of life. They are a martial society that values strength. They cannot, or do not, wish to sow. They take that which they desire. Either they, or their culture, must be stamped out if people are to live in relative peace.

He pauses a moment.

That's not to say there are not those among our races that reveal in bloodshed. But those are the outliers. Not the whole.


Elf Druid (Treesinger) 5| hp 44/44 | Init+2 | Perc+10 | AC 16 TAC 13 FF 14 | CMB +5 | CMD 18 | Fort +6 Ref +4 Will +8

When the majority of the fires are finally out, Faun and Ornmeil'lon head towards the nearby forest. She takes her time and places her palm on the trunks of different trees, for varying lengths of time. With some of them, she breathes a word of thanks and marks the trunk of the tree. Ornmeil'lon gathers plenty of that tree's seeds and hands them to Faun. This happens over and over.

Faun would likely attempt to speak with either a city council, or someone in charge of rebuilding efforts. With gentle insistence, she conveys that while it is important to rebuild, it is of the utmost importance to rebuild responsibly and to keep resources sustainable. She instructs anyone heading to cut down trees to only cut down the marked ones. "They offer themselves for you and your hardships." she says. "Don't take advantage of their generosity."


The jowly Councilman Hearthmount waves his sword around, dedicating himself to directing the villagers in the fight against the flames. He also exhorts them to be wary of any lingering orcs and to show them no mercy. As he continues grandstand, with Councilman Muricar beside him, he leaves Councilwomen Straelock and Faravan to speak with you.

"Of course we'll rebuild," Straelock says, looking across the burned fields and cottages with an unmistakable haunted look the belies her optimism. "We always do. I don't suppose we could impose upon you fine folks to stay on for a while to...keep an eye on things as we do?"

Before her peer can receive an answer, Faravan steps forward with hands on her hips to speak her own mind.

"I'll send a letter to the royal court in Caliphas," she declares imperiously. "This was no small attack, and there's no guarantee that Tamrivena will provide aid. Hopefully the Prince will be more forthcoming."

Presuming that you accept Straelock's offer, you will have a week or two of downtime in Ravengro before the Kingmaker aspects come into play and you are given command of the region. Feel free to post how you use that downtime.


Elven Bolt Ace | HP: 20| AC: 17 FF 14 T 13 | Fort: +5 Ref: +6 Will: +1 (+2 vs enchant) | Perception: +8| Init: +3

"What do you mean 'we always do'? Does this happen often?" Shontar answers looking surprised.


Female Sylph Wizard 4 | HP:28/28 | AC: 15/ FF 12/ T 13 | Fort: +4 Ref: +4 Will: +4 | Perception: +4| Init: +3

Sibe listens to the response given to Shontar, before making any decisions on what to do.


M Cavalier Cavalier 5 HP: 42/62| AC:21(24)| T: 12| FF:20(23)| Fort:+8 | Ref: +4 | Will: +7| Init: +2| Perception: +11

Kain rubs his chin for a bit, lost in thought.

If this is a common occurrence, or at least in slightly less fearsome numbers, a properly trained and armed town guard would be the best, and likely easiest, defense against it. Along with a simple wooden palisade.

He thinks for a bit.

If you can offer me a place to sleep, good food, and a pittance of money to buy feed for my horse, and my... ahem, other companion. I would certainly offer you my services for a time. I could also offer my services in better training the militia. That is, give them more discipline, and run them through drills for coordination in chaos like today.


Female Human Sw/Ro/Su 1/1/2 HP 14/34 AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 17 | F +0 | R +6 | W +5 | Init +2 | Per +7

Are there living Orc wounded?

People, even Orcs... typically subscribe to the same needs. Shelter, food and safety of their young.

Defensive measures are prudent, I agree. But, we should go and discern what the immediate and root causes are for the recent activity. A diplomatic mission, perhaps even a peace of sorts can be brokered.

Pensively, she scratches Sasha’s head much to the cat’s enjoyment.


Only a single wounded but living orc is found left behind: the shaman. The sheriff has assigned two deputies to secure him, both to keep him from escaping or mustering any spells, but also to prevent any locals from lynching the prisoner on the spot.

"It's not always orc raiders," Councilwoman Straelock replies ruefully. "Sometimes its undead creeping up from Virlych. Sometimes its a ghost from the old prison. Sometimes its a beast carrying off animals and farmers. Sometimes it's plain old misfortune. I'd be lying if I said we were poor in woe."

Kain's offer elicits nods and murmurs of assent from the locals within earshot. Several also grumble cynically about how it would be far more help than Tamrivena has offered. Councilwoman Faravan states that she and her peers will discuss the idea on the morrow, when emotions are less inflamed. However, she is preempted by Hearthmount.

"A capital idea!" the elder councilman bellows, waving his sword in the air. "It's high time some good old fashioned military discipline was honed into our militia! I've been insisting upon this for many a season!"

Hearthmount's grandstanding earns much praise from the villagers, although Faravan and Straelock both suppress groans of frustration.

Valeska's own suggestion, although wise, does not garner as much traction from the embittered villagers.


M Cavalier Cavalier 5 HP: 42/62| AC:21(24)| T: 12| FF:20(23)| Fort:+8 | Ref: +4 | Will: +7| Init: +2| Perception: +11

Kain smiles.

Well, good then. However, if I am going to stay here for an extended period, I will need to introduce you to a friend of mine.

Kain turns and lets out a rather loud, high pitched whistle before turning back to the others gathered around. and says with a small grin.

Now, again, just stay calm. I promise he is friendly. after a few more moments Silverwing flies overhead before landing near Kain and quickly move to rub his head on Kain's outstretched hand.

This is Silverwing. I found him in my travels as a babe. His mother had been killed by Orcs, and he was next. I saved him, nursed him back to some health, and he has followed me ever since. He smiles turning back to the young griffon and scratching his head.

Don't worry, he only eats the people I tell him to. Kain gives a small grin, clearly an attempt at jest.

I had planned on keeping him out of town. However, as I said, if I am to stay here for a time. I doubt that could be possible.


Female Human Sw/Ro/Su 1/1/2 HP 14/34 AC 17 | T 12 | FF 15 | CMD 17 | F +0 | R +6 | W +5 | Init +2 | Per +7

Valeska supports the training and greets Silverwing, in turn. She had always been a friend of fantastical creatures that harken to am older time.

She does however note Faravan and Straelock's dismay. She will approach them regarding their reactions.

Her most immediate desire and intention however, to speak with the captured Orc shaman. And she moves to do so, Sasha by her side.

151 to 200 of 471 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Strength and Fear: An Ustalavic Kingmaker Campaign All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.