CALL OF CTHULU- THE MASKS OF NYARLHOTEP

Game Master Daniel Penfold 351

A play through of the Masks of Nyarlhotep campaign for Call of Cthulu.

Maps

Documents

images

notes/clues


351 to 400 of 604 << first < prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | next > last >>

Male

Henry pulled out his lighter, and placed his other hand under his coat to rest on the butt of his pistol in case he had to draw it as Jake opened the door.


Male Human (Scottish American) Bounty Hunter

Barney almost misses the meeting. He had been up all night, and woke up in an unfamiliar hotel room with an equally unfamiliar broad. He sneaked out of bed, his piercing hangover making him stumble, as he gathered most of his clothing, and quietly exited the room.

Stopping at a newsstand as he waited in line for a taxi to take him back to his hotel, he purchased the latest copy of the times, a bottle of asprin, and a mug of hot coffee. He browsed the headlines as he headed back to his hotel, as the words in the story kept moving around as he was probably still a bit drunk.

Before heading up to his room the bellhop stopped him. "Mr. Lipscomb. Sir there has been a man trying to urgently reach you. He's called four times this morning already. Here's the message he left".

Barney orders a ton of room service, then passes out on his bed sleeping the sleep of the recently dead. He awakes with a start to see it's already dark outside, he rushes through the shower, puts on last nights clothes that he forgot to have cleaned, and rushes towards the destination... trying to not be late.

He arrived in the office just as Jake began to open the door. "Wait! I'm here... better late than never right"?


As you try to open the door you find that it is actually locked. There is no response to your knocking apart from a long ragged breath that ceases abruptly.


Virile Male Western Movie Actor SAN 49(50) | HP 11(12) | Move:8 | Status: OK

Jake rattled the knob fruitlessly.
"Jackson! JACKSON!" He called out.
He turned to the others.
"Did you hear something like a gasp?"


Male

"Get out of the way!" Henry yelled. Once Jake was clear, he tried to kick the door down.

Strength, 70%: 1d100 ⇒ 6


With one mighty shove Henry smashes the door open.

Can you make a dodge roll please Henry?


Virile Male Western Movie Actor SAN 49(50) | HP 11(12) | Move:8 | Status: OK

Jake shifted 5 feet out of the way when Henry yelled.


Male

Dodge, 50%: 1d100 ⇒ 35


Male Human (Scottish American) Bounty Hunter

Seeing all the quick movements and activity at the door, Barney's hangover evaporates. He instinctively shields Sylvia from the opening, as he draws his trusty .45.

"What is it! Is Jackson Okay"?


Henry as you burst into the room someone takes a swing at you with a long curved dagger. Inside the room are three men, two are black and one is white. They are all wearing shabby suits and a strange headpiece with a strip of red flannel.

Inside the room lies the body of your friend Jackson Elias. He is clearly dead as his intestines have been ripped out.

[ooc]Can I have Sanity checks from everyone please?[/i]


Male

Sanity, 60%: 1d100 ⇒ 8

Well, at least they aren't kharisiri. Henry feels a moment of sorrow as he sees Jackson laid out on the ground. He'd seen similar before - back in Peru, and then some of the bodies during the War. Sorrow quickly turns to rage as the men attack him. "Big mistake."

Henry pulls out his pistol and fires at the one who attacked him.

Firearms (handgun), 76%: 1d100 ⇒ 11
Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 1


Male Human (Scottish American) Bounty Hunter

1d100 ⇒ 73 SAN (45)

Barney is prepared for anything... or so he thought. As the body of his friend and it's horrid condition became clear to him, he stared, bile rising in his throat, and for the moment forgetting the 45 at his side.

He starts at the sound of Henry's pistol.


Sanity, 60: 1d100 ⇒ 86

Sylvia's a doctor. She's seen terrible things in her line of work. But this is someone she considered a friend, someone who had clearly needed her help, and she hadn't been there.

"J-J-Jackson?" she whispers. She barely even notices the masked figures, too focused on her friend's mutilated corpse.


Barney and Sylvia please lose 1 point of Sanity

Henry's bullet strikes one of the cultists, grazing its arm.

Initiative order:

Cultist 3
Barney
Cultist 2
Henry and Sylvia
Cultists 1
Jake

The cultist at the back moves towards the window and opens it, it looks like he is going to try and escape down the fire escape.

Barney your action


Male Human (Scottish American) Bounty Hunter

Barney shake off his shock when he sees one of the villains trying to make an escape, and fires off a shot.

1d100 ⇒ 67 (58%) Colt 45
1d10 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9 Bullet

But sees his bullet strike the window sill.

"I'll try to cut him off".

Barney heads for the stairwell.


The second cultist moves towards the fire escape too.

Henry and Sylvia, what do you want to do?


Male

Henry was a bit occupied by the cultist right in front of him, as he tried to avoid the man's waving knife. He unloaded three bullets towards the man, though.

Firearms, 76%: 1d100 ⇒ 65
Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 3

Firearms, 76%: 1d100 ⇒ 14
Disadvantage Die: 1d10 ⇒ 8 Total 84%, miss.

Firearms, 76%: 1d100 ⇒ 27
Disadvantage Dice: 2d10 ⇒ (3, 10) = 13 Total 37, Hit
Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 7


Sylvia's eyes snap to the person trying to get out the window. Normally she tries to avoid hurting people, but these...cultists? These cultists murdered Jackson. They can't be allowed to escape.

She grabs her handgun from her handbag and fires a single shot at the cultist closest to the window.

Firearms (handgun), 40%: 1d100 ⇒ 33
Damage: 1d10 ⇒ 7


[i]Henry's bullets tear into the cultist nearest to him, meanwhile Sylvia's bullet strikes one of the cultists near the window.

The cultist by Henry tries to attack him with his knife.

knife:35: 1d100 ⇒ 100

damage: 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6

Jake, over to you.


The cultist is starting to panic and momentarily drops his knife, which falls from his hand and pierces his foot which is now bleeding badly.


Virile Male Western Movie Actor SAN 49(50) | HP 11(12) | Move:8 | Status: OK

Coming around the doorsill, wondering what the hell gunfire is for, Jake is shocked at the corpse of his friend Jackson Elias.
San check vs 50%: 1d100 ⇒ 74

Enraged, he whipped out his sword cane and lunged at the nearest cultist.
"No! You'll pay for that!"
Fighting(sword) vs 55%: 1d100 ⇒ 70


Jake, lose one point of sanity.

Jake swings at the cultist but misses.

Cultist 3 starts running down the fire escape, his shoes clanging on the iron steps.

Barney, back to you.


Barney, your turn


Male Human (Scottish American) Bounty Hunter

Barney was running for the stairs to try and cut off the murderer. I thought that might take a while.


Barney continues to run down the stairs

I'm assuming these are the main stairs rather than the fire escape?

Cultist heads through the window onto the fire escape.

Henry and Sylvia your actions


Sylvia fires another shot at the cultist climbing through the window. Unfortunately her eyes are blurred with tears and her hands are starting to shake as the enormity of the situation comes crashing down.

Firearms (handgun), 40%: 1d100 ⇒ 93
Damage: 1d10 ⇒ 3


Male

Henry is still facing off with the first of the cultists, so he fires at him again.

Firearms (handguns), 76%: 1d100 ⇒ 44
Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 4

Firearms (handguns), 76%: 1d100 ⇒ 38
Disadvantage die: 1d10 ⇒ 3 38 total, success.
Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 1

Firearms (handguns), 76%: 1d100 ⇒ 6
Disadvantage dice: 2d10 ⇒ (8, 5) = 13 86 total, fail.

If my first target goes down, I'll switch to any still in the room.


[i]Sylvia's shot misses.

[i]Henry manages to drop the cultist in the room. Unfortunately the others are now on the fire escape.

As cultists 1 is dead, Jake over to you.


Virile Male Western Movie Actor SAN 49(50) | HP 11(12) | Move:8 | Status: OK

Jake ran up to the window and dove through to the fire escape.
Dex to dive through clean vs 65%: 1d100 ⇒ 100
There he lashed out at the nearest one with his sword cane.
Fighting(sword) vs 55%: 1d100 ⇒ 64


Virile Male Western Movie Actor SAN 49(50) | HP 11(12) | Move:8 | Status: OK

Doh!


Jake tries to dive through the open window but strikes the frame and bounces off. (Take 1 point of damage).

Cultist 3 reaches the next level of the fire escape.

Barney you are rounding the corner of the hotel where the fire escape ends up. About 2 storeys above you on the fire escape you can see the cultist. At the base of the alley you can see a black 1915 Hudson touring roadster with a New York licence plate, its engine idling.

Cultist 2 keeps going down the fire escape.

Henry and Sylvia, back to you?


Sylvia hesitates, then runs to the fire escape. She has no intention of firing her gun outside, not with the threat of possibly missing and hitting an innocent bystander. But if she can see where they're going, maybe get a glimpse of their car, perhaps the police will be able to track them down later.

Seeing Jake's mishap, she takes her time climbing through the window rather than trying to dive through it.


Sylvia you head out onto the fire escape. One floor below you, you can see an escaping cultist and three floors below you, you can see the other cultist. You can also see that Barney has just come around the corner.

Henry, what are you doing?


Male

Henry looks to the others attempting pursuit, then holsters his pistol and bends down to search the cultist for any identification, identifying marks like scars or tattoos, or signs of who sent him to kill Jackson.

Spot Hidden, 51%: 1d100 ⇒ 27


On the body of the dead cultist Henry you find a letter, a business card and a matchbook.

Documents updated.

Jake, your action


Virile Male Western Movie Actor SAN 49(50) | HP 11(12) | Move:8 | Status: OK

Jake, forever grateful there were no cameras a moment ago, stepped through the window and ran after the ... cultists?
Move:8
If he catches up with one...
Fighting(sword) vs 55%: 1d100 ⇒ 46 for a possible 1d6 + 1 + 1d4 ⇒ (4) + 1 + (3) = 8 damage.


Jake you manage to catch up with one of the cultists and deal it a mighty blow with your sword cane.

Cultist 3 runs to the car and starts to open the door.

Barney, your action


Male Human (Scottish American) Bounty Hunter

If the cultist is running for the drivers side Barney will intervene, running forward with his pistol out and demanding surrender.

If he is headed towards any other door, Barney will take cover and try to remember details about the car (Make, model, License plate, number of individuals, any damage, direction headed etc.)


The cultist is running to the driver's side so you run to intercept him Barney.

Cultist 2 is dead from Jake's blow.

Henry and Sylvia, your actions


Male

Henry stashes the information in his pockets, then makes it look like the body was never searched.


Realizing there's nothing more she can do outside, Sylvia climbs back through the window. "I...we should...Henry, do you have any idea what's going on?" She looks around in horror. Gesturing vaguely at the cultist, she says, "He's dead too, isn't he? And I think Jake killed another one on the fire escape. I wanted to stop them, but I didn't want...I didn't think..."

She closes her eyes and takes a deep breath, forcibly composing herself. "The police should be on their way. Maybe...surely they'll know what to do."


On the second body Sylvia you find some documents. At ground level you can see that Barney is squaring off against the remaining cultist.

Jake, your action


I didn't actually search the second body, just headed back inside. Jake might want to though.


[ooc]In the distance you can hear the sound of police sirens.[/i]


Virile Male Western Movie Actor SAN 49(50) | HP 11(12) | Move:8 | Status: OK

If Jake can see the Barney vs cultist show going on from where he is, he'll race down the emergency staircase to help out.
If he can't see that, he'll reluctantly go back up and search through the guy he ran through, flicking off the blood and sheathing his sword cane on the way.


Jake races down the fire escape and reaches the car.

You won't get an attack this round as you would spend all your action running down the fire escape

The cultist, realising he has to get through Barney attacks.

knife:35: 1d100 ⇒ 96

damage: 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

Barney, back to you.


The cultist misses, his knife smashes one of the headlights on the car


Male Human (Scottish American) Bounty Hunter

Barney twists to the side to avoid the lunge.

1d100 ⇒ 78 Knive (35%)

Unfortunately the smashing of the headlight of the car distracts him, and his hangover has slowed his reactions. and he ends up stabbing... Air.

"This isn't going to end well for you! Perhaps you should throw down your weapon. Your friends are already dead, so you can pin the murder on them and get off with an accessory charge... if you cooporate".

1d100 ⇒ 36 Fast Talk (65%)


Male

"Yeah, we just have to hope they don't arrest us, and accept that it was self-defense."


"There is some wisdom in what you say but the cult would never leave me alive if I talked, Let me go and I will leave town and the cult, you will not hear from me again."

351 to 400 of 604 << first < prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Call of Cthulu All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.