DM NomadSage's Emerald Spire

Game Master nomadicc


451 to 500 of 1,053 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>
Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Fighter 3; HP 46/46; AC 18; Fort +9; Ref +9; Will +9; Perc +9

Ben shops, his coin limited but his understanding of crossbow mechanics enhanced.

Nothing exciting from Ben, just 13 crossbow bolts.


You can assume everyone rejoins at the tavern. Anything else in town? Plans moving forward?


Gnome Rog2; HP 38/38; AC 19; F+7, R+9, W+8, Perc +8 (+9 vs traps)

Rodi sips his mug of whatever the bartender served him. "We need a name? Like Rodi's Raiders or Copperbottom's Copperbuttocks?"


M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 25/41; spot +8

"Well, Mikos' Marauders would be the one to go with if we were going to make anyone the lead in the group, but I'd prefer not to put anyone upfront. I was thinking of something more based on what we do like, The Dead goblin Brigade or maybe Goblinchoppers, the bladderheads would understand that one."

Mikos turns to Rodi,"or maybe '3/4 Short'. What have you and Copperbutt been doing anyway? We set up the Charter. Did you identify that ring, appraise the gem, or visit Abernard yet? He might be interested in the parts of that metal man. Let's go see him after this round."

Grand Lodge

Male Dwarf Fighter 3; HP 46/46; AC 18; Fort +9; Ref +9; Will +9; Perc +9

Ben looks on in embarrassment.

"You know, in all of the excitement of our first adventure I forgot all about Abernard. Doesn't seems like we did much now though does it? But we can certainly tell him about the construct before we venture forth again."

He examines the ring.

"As for this, I can't be sure but it would seem to arrest one's fall from great heights."


Your celebration leads to one, then another, and perhaps another flagon of ale. The Keg is all to happy to bless the proceedings. By the time you leave the tavern, it is well into the evening. You decide to visit Abernard in the morning.

Abernard's

You regroup, somewhat groggy, in the mid-morning. The citizens of Fort Inevitable are already up and at their business. You emerge onto the streets to find people moving about industriously, and a general buzz of excitement over your defeat of the goblin menace.

When you make it over to the elder wizard's house, you find him sitting in a cushioned chair on the small porch, reading a book while smoking from a pipe. He glances up from his spectacles, smiling as you approach. "Ah, the talk of the town graces my doorstep. Benjamin, you look a little pale; long night?"

To the rest of you he, introduces himself. "A pleasure to meet Benjamin's friends. I am Abernard Royst. Would you like some tea? I have some mixes that take the edge off a tough morning after."


M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 25/41; spot +8

Mikos' rasp is rough enough to sand wood this morning, "Tea? Well, maybe with a little of that mix. I'm Mikos. You heard we killed a whole lot of goblins at the Emerald Spire? Also ran into an exploding metal man. I scavenged a few bits of what remained if you are interested."


Abernard's eyes go wide and he sets down his tea, nearly missing the plate in his distraction. "'Metal man', you say? As in, an automaton?" He picks up the pieces and examines them closely. "Fascinating! I've found vague reference of such magically-animated humanoids in books, but never have I seen such sizable evidence."

After a minute, he looks up with a wide smile. "I have some experimentation in my near future, it seems. Thank you for bringing me this -- I will see you fairly compensated for these pieces."

"Did you discover anything else in the spire ruins?"


M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 25/41; spot +8

Mikos shrugs. "There was a big green crystal that ran up the center of the place. Glowed with a green light. That seemed kinda unique."


Male Dwarf Cleric of Cayden Cailen (HP: 43/43, AC: 19 (21 w/shield); F: 10 / R: 5 / W: 10; Perception: +8)
Resources:
  • Hero Pts: 1
  • Channels: 2/2
  • Spells: 1st: magic weapon, heal x2
  • 2nd: sound burst x2
  • Wand of Heal: 1/1 day
  • "Eh, permanent magical darkness as well. Seems a bit beyond the gobbies tonset that up."


    Abernard picks up a small journal and starts jotting down notes rapidly as you tell him the details. The old wizard nods and taps his pen a few times, pausing in thought. He looks up, one hand twirling the end of his mustache. "Outstanding! I will reference this against what information I've collected... see if anything comes together."

    "I will let you know if I learn anything new, as long as you do the same," he says with a wink. "I hope you plan to delve further into the ruin, aye?"


    M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 25/41; spot +8

    Mikos nods. " We need to go back and recover the stolen goods anyway so we might as well see what was down the stairs." Mikos gulps the rest of the cooled tea and rises. "If we could settle up now, we've got to go get our adventurers warrant."

    Grand Lodge

    Male Dwarf Fighter 3; HP 46/46; AC 18; Fort +9; Ref +9; Will +9; Perc +9

    Ben also finishes his tea.

    "I hope that darkness doesn't extend through the entire place, not everybody can see through it."


    Male Dwarf Cleric of Cayden Cailen (HP: 43/43, AC: 19 (21 w/shield); F: 10 / R: 5 / W: 10; Perception: +8)
    Resources:
  • Hero Pts: 1
  • Channels: 2/2
  • Spells: 1st: magic weapon, heal x2
  • 2nd: sound burst x2
  • Wand of Heal: 1/1 day
  • "Any thoughts on how ta change that? Torches and lanterns, ya, but be they makin potions of seein' in the dark here?"

    Standard elixirs of darkvision are 2 gp for 10mins.


    Of note, the darkness did not extend up to Grulk's tower room.

    Abernard smiles and walks inside to gather your payment. He comes out and hands over 10 gold coins. "Spend them wisely. I look forward to your next discoveries. And if you can, sketch out the place -- I will pay extra for a detailed map."


    M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 25/41; spot +8

    "The sunrod seemed to work fine for most of dark, I know there's a simple spell that would probably work just as well."

    Mikos smiles at the gold coins. "Pleasure doing business with you. I'll get Ben on that map right away. "


    Male Dwarf Cleric of Cayden Cailen (HP: 43/43, AC: 19 (21 w/shield); F: 10 / R: 5 / W: 10; Perception: +8)
    Resources:
  • Hero Pts: 1
  • Channels: 2/2
  • Spells: 1st: magic weapon, heal x2
  • 2nd: sound burst x2
  • Wand of Heal: 1/1 day
  • "Suren the sunrod works for dispellin the dark but is also a beacon to the bladder heads that we are a comin."

    The dwarf shrugs and his new chain mail rattles metal on metal all through the room.


    M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 25/41; spot +8

    Mikos chuckles evilly as he taps the falchion, "Drawn like moths to the flame... besides from what we saw, could be all green glow below. I'll swing by the alchemist shoppe anyway, see if anything could be of use."

    thinking i'll get another sunrod, silversheen, alch fire, and darkvision= 90sp


    Male Dwarf Cleric of Cayden Cailen (HP: 43/43, AC: 19 (21 w/shield); F: 10 / R: 5 / W: 10; Perception: +8)
    Resources:
  • Hero Pts: 1
  • Channels: 2/2
  • Spells: 1st: magic weapon, heal x2
  • 2nd: sound burst x2
  • Wand of Heal: 1/1 day
  • "Oi, let's be makin' a map this time, get sum more coin. Ol' Abernard seems to have the gold layin' about."

    The Keg picks up a writing set for 15sp ... any skill required to make/craft these maps?

    Grand Lodge

    Male Dwarf Fighter 3; HP 46/46; AC 18; Fort +9; Ref +9; Will +9; Perc +9

    Ben smiles.

    "A map would be a fine endeavor, to be sure. We can use the potions and sunrods as necessary, but of course if the spell didn't extend to all areas it may not be necessary. Still, best to be prepared."


    @ Bruno: no skill requirement; he's looking for the general layout. Of course, more details, drawings and notes will likely be appreciated.

    You stop through Braddon's General Store and Sefurd's Potions & Reagents on your way back through the town, picking up a few more things. You then head over to the Citadel to collect your warrants.

    In the wide green fields below the tower, a company of Hellknights is busy drilling beneath the mid-morning sun. The soldiers are divided into four squads each practicing a different activity: sparring, archery, formation maneuvers and calisthenics. At semi-random intervals, a drill sergeant whistles and all four squads rotate to the next activity, all in precise and motivated fashion.

    The Citadel itself is a 90-foot-tall octagonal tower, with circular turrets on each corner of the structure, providing outstanding visibility and fields of fire in all directions. The guard on duty at the gate ushers you inside to the clerk: a mousy young woman wearing an unadorned dark robe. She sits at a desk covered in papers, scrolls, ledgers, writing tools and seven different pots of ink. As you enter, she looks up at you over round spectacles and stops writing abruptly.

    "You're... you're here!" she stammers the obvious, then winces as she realizes. "For the Letters of Warrant. They're ready, but uhh... The Lady Commander. She wants to meet you." The clerk flashes a nervous smile.


    Male Dwarf Cleric of Cayden Cailen (HP: 43/43, AC: 19 (21 w/shield); F: 10 / R: 5 / W: 10; Perception: +8)
    Resources:
  • Hero Pts: 1
  • Channels: 2/2
  • Spells: 1st: magic weapon, heal x2
  • 2nd: sound burst x2
  • Wand of Heal: 1/1 day
  • "Oho, Lady Commander. Sounds fancy ... hope she dunna mind a little rough and tumble, eh?" Bruno winks at the clerk.

    "Well, let's go then?"

    Grand Lodge

    Male Dwarf Fighter 3; HP 46/46; AC 18; Fort +9; Ref +9; Will +9; Perc +9

    "I'm sure it's all fine, nothing suspicious about that at all."


    Gnome Rog2; HP 38/38; AC 19; F+7, R+9, W+8, Perc +8 (+9 vs traps)

    "Is she a lady who commands or does she only command ladies?" Rodi asks, pondering deep thoughts.


    M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 25/41; spot +8

    Mikos gives the clerk a dark look and holds out his hand. "We'll take the warrant then. What does she want?" he rasps suspiciously.


    "I wouldn't presume to know her mind," the clerk replies to Mikos after giving Rodi a shocked look. She stands, gathers a ledger and pencil then nods towards a heavy door at the back of the room. "But the Lady Commander wished to hand you the warrants personally. This way."

    The clerk leads you through the door, down an angled hallway and up a set of narrow stairs. On the third landing, she turns off the stairs and down another, slightly wider corridor before stopping at another heavy door. She stands at attention and raps twice crisply. "Enter," a woman calls from within. The clerk opens the door and guides you inside.

    The commander's office is spartan, with no ornamentation and a small writing desk. The largest piece of furniture is a huge table map of the region around Fort Inevitable and the Crusader Road. At a glance, you can see markers that indicate the town and nearby places, including Thornkeep, Fort Riverwatch and other smaller settlements around the edge of the Echo Wood. There are also black horse tokens indicating Hellknight patrols, and other tokens of unknown meaning.

    Audara Drovust, Lady Commander of Fort Inevitable and Paralictor of the Order of the Pike, stands rigidly before the table, appraising you with a stern expression. She is a tall woman (and in the current company, only Mikos stands taller), but her prominence is enhanced by her intricately intimidating Hellknight armor, making everyone seem somehow smaller in her presence.

    Pic added to Roll20.

    "Thank you, Corah. You may leave us." The young clerk nods sharply and retreats, closing the door behind her. After Corah departs, Commander Drovust picks up a leather-wrapped scroll from the table. "When High Mother Dremagne came to me asking for these Letters of Warrant, I initially hesitated -- adventurers have a reputation to often create more trouble than they solve."

    She turns sideways and waves a hand over the map. "My responsibility is the Crusader Road; to protect the templars, pilgrims, merchants and mercenaries alike, so that the noble crusade against the Worldwound may continue. If I had ten times as many knights, perhaps I could root out dens of trouble like Thornkeep and a score or more goblin hives... but I do not. I can only do so much with the knights I have, and they are fully utilized patrolling the road."

    "That's where you can be helpful; where Fort Inevitable needs people like you: delving into places my Hellknights cannot. These letters grant you authority to seek out and slay monsters and destroy threats to Fort Inevitable, its people and travelers on the Crusader Road." She looks up, meeting each of your eyes in turn. "There are restrictions, of course. You will have no authority within Fort Inevitable or its protectorate lands, nor along the Crusader Road. Mosswater, The Echo Wood, Thornkeep, the Emerald Spire... these are open season for you."

    She turns the leather scroll over in her hands, adding, "You will also provide reports to me detailing what actions were taken under your warrant. And lastly, ten percent of of the coin, goods, and property you confiscate will be tithed to the Citadel."

    "Can you agree to these terms?"

    Also updated the Campaign tab.


    Male Dwarf Cleric of Cayden Cailen (HP: 43/43, AC: 19 (21 w/shield); F: 10 / R: 5 / W: 10; Perception: +8)
    Resources:
  • Hero Pts: 1
  • Channels: 2/2
  • Spells: 1st: magic weapon, heal x2
  • 2nd: sound burst x2
  • Wand of Heal: 1/1 day
  • "So, in order to do work for ya and yer boys, we have to pay fer the honor? There some quid quo pro, 'ere, Commander? We get some of the same services yer boys be receivin'?"

    Bruno smiles broadly as he implores the Hellknight, trying hard not to show his anxiety at addressing the massive woman standing in her evil-looking armor.


    M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 25/41; spot +8

    Mikos doesn't look all that agreeable. "Yeah, that last part is the part I don't get. Typically, you'd reward folks like us for risking our lives with the monster slaying and what not. See this little hickey here on my neck? That's from a bugbear bolt to my throat. I'd be happy to tithe my friend Keg's God here for his help in surviving said kill shot, but I'm unclear what you're actually offering us in this contract."

    "Now I hate goblins. I'll happily kill them for free or even let you tax whatever pay you plan on giving us for our work, but I'm really unclear on why we're paying you for the privilege of helping you out."


    "Your privilege is earned through service and sacrifice. You have earned the Letters of Warrant, and part of your sacrifice will be to tithe a small percentage of your earnings to the Citadel." To Bruno, she nods, "Yes, you will be welcome in the town and, if you desire, requisition aid or supplies from the Citadel. Your tithes will also help fund the patrols to keep the town and roads safe, and thereby support the very crusade you ostensibly wish to join."

    "If you are unclear as to the intent of this contract, let me make it crystal clear. I will not have vigilantes running amok in Fort Inevitible, no matter their intentions. Through the warrants, I maintain a close eye on any so-called adventurers. Your end of the bargain gains you near-unfettered access to the Emerald Spire and other ruins and lairs in the surrounding lands -- whatever you find is yours, and we both know you can become remarkably wealthy and powerful in short order, should you survive. The tithe is a small tax that goes to support our community."

    Lady Drovust leans back against the table, taking on a marginally casual stance. "Now, as I said, Fort Inevitible needs folk like you. I have no wish to drive you away, so... if there are elements of the contract that you find unacceptable, I am open to some negotiation."


    M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 25/41; spot +8

    "I'd be happy to bring you 10% of every goblin we kill," Mikos leers. "And relate what we find out about the Emerald Spire. From what we saw, there is a lot more to it than a hideout for goblins, though there could be more of the vermin lurking around. Like you said, you need to focus on the road and the town. Waive the tax and we'll pay our way with information and dead goblins."


    Lady Drovust waits several awkwardly quiet moments and when no one else speaks up, she nods her head. "Very well, but only if you agree to do something." For a split-second -- a flash of fear in her eyes -- you think you spot a break in her stony demeanor. "For me."

    "You intend to continue exploring the Emerald Spire, yes?"


    M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 25/41; spot +8

    "Yes..."


    The commander nods, turning to face the table map. She gestures towards the marker for the Emerald Spire. She speaks, her tone softened from the formal officer. "It has become increasing clear that some powerful and malevolent presence is stirring in the dungeons below the Emerald Spire. Undead of familiar and strange, new forms have been sighted around the Echo Wood, mostly concentrated around the Emerald Spire."

    "Additionally, spellcasters throughout the Crusader Road area have reported scrying efforts from an unknown source able to brush aside their normal screens and defenses. Worse yet, this mysterious actor seems to be able to exercise conscious control over the portals of the Spire Glen, using them to disgorge monsters or capture travelers far from the Emerald Spire."

    "I have kept word of this muted, mainly to avoid panic but also because the goblin raiders were the more visible and imminent threat. High Mother Sarise Dremagne has successfully divined one small clue about this strange new threat: the emblem of a crown above a skull. We do not know if the Numerian, Klarkosh, is involved -- indeed, we know next to nothing."

    "As you explore the Emerald Spire, I ask you to look for any signs of this Crowned Skull, whatever it is. If you should come upon it, destroy it before it presents a greater threat to Fort Inevitable and the Crusader Road."

    She turns to look at you again. "Do this and I will waive the tithe. Agreed?"


    M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 25/41; spot +8

    Mikos gives a broad grin and offers his hand. "Crowned skull. You got it. What are these portals you're talking about?"


    Male Dwarf Cleric of Cayden Cailen (HP: 43/43, AC: 19 (21 w/shield); F: 10 / R: 5 / W: 10; Perception: +8)
    Resources:
  • Hero Pts: 1
  • Channels: 2/2
  • Spells: 1st: magic weapon, heal x2
  • 2nd: sound burst x2
  • Wand of Heal: 1/1 day
  • "Oi, Commander, you're a right fine negotiator! We'll be lookin' forward to endin' this distress ye have!" The Keg chuckles and pulls out some tobacco to wrap in paper and smoke once they get out.


    Lady Drovust shakes Mikos's hand, sealing the deal. "The portals are a hazard of the Spire Glen. Few have actually seen it happen, but occasionally invisible portals from somewhere in the depths of the Emerald Spire spawn in the glade. They were thought to be random, but in recent months, more and more strange creature have emerged to prowl the surrounding forest."

    She hands over the leather-wrapped scroll. "Take these to Corah. She will strike the tithe clause from the warrant. But I still expect written reports of your activities. And any news of the Crowned Skull, of course."

    Added the Crowned Skull quest to the log.

    Grand Lodge

    Male Dwarf Fighter 3; HP 46/46; AC 18; Fort +9; Ref +9; Will +9; Perc +9

    Ben attempts to recall any knowledge he has of the Crowned Skull.

    Occultism: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19


    M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 25/41; spot +8

    Mikos accepts the contract and on the way to Corah asks, "We were going with Gobchoppers for our company name, right?"


    Ben has no knowledge of anything related to the Crowned Skull. It must be singular to the Emerald Spire or High Mother Dremagne's divination.

    Corah sighs in visible relief as you return to the clerk's desk. She immediately sets to correcting and notarizing the Letters of Warrant. "You must be so excited to explore the ruins -- who knows what mysteries lie within?" she wonders aloud. "I always wanted to be an archaeologist, but... *ahem* Sorry, look at me rambling on. Here you go!" She re-wraps the letters into the leather scroll case and turns them back to you, hands shaking slightly.


    Male Dwarf Cleric of Cayden Cailen (HP: 43/43, AC: 19 (21 w/shield); F: 10 / R: 5 / W: 10; Perception: +8)
    Resources:
  • Hero Pts: 1
  • Channels: 2/2
  • Spells: 1st: magic weapon, heal x2
  • 2nd: sound burst x2
  • Wand of Heal: 1/1 day
  • ”Heya thar, lass. There be something wrong or ya be needin somethin’ from the spire? Seems we are out to help everyone in this town. Whatcha need?”


    M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 25/41; spot +8

    "Naw, Keg. I think that she's just saying that she's more interested in ancient mysteries than Hellknight paperwork. If that's the case, maybe you've got the wrong job. Go see if Abernard needs an apprentice or check in with that Starcloak lady. You only live once. Most of the time," he rasps and pokes a finger at the puckered scar on his throat.


    Corah blushes, looking embarrassed. "As Master Karnikov said, I'm just being a bit fanciful. I wouldn't know what to do in an actual ruin, never mind fighting goblins and undead and things."

    Anything else you all want to accomplish in town?


    M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 25/41; spot +8

    I suppose I'm ready for another thrashing. Are the final rules out yet?

    "I'd leave the slaying to the professionals,"Mikos warns as he stows the warrant. He guides the company out of the fortress to take stock. "Should we organize a little recovery expedition for the merchants next? They can gather their goods and we'll take a look at the lower level."


    Male Dwarf Cleric of Cayden Cailen (HP: 43/43, AC: 19 (21 w/shield); F: 10 / R: 5 / W: 10; Perception: +8)
    Resources:
  • Hero Pts: 1
  • Channels: 2/2
  • Spells: 1st: magic weapon, heal x2
  • 2nd: sound burst x2
  • Wand of Heal: 1/1 day
  • "Drinks and a half-ass night's rest still to come. Let's get them merchants worrying about bein' ready to travel in the morning and we can set off then."

    [Ooc]Right? I think we still need to rest? New rules next month. May get some early looks by 31 July for subscribers/ pre orders iirc./ooc]

    Grand Lodge

    Male Dwarf Fighter 3; HP 46/46; AC 18; Fort +9; Ref +9; Will +9; Perc +9

    I'm done in town, ready to roll.


    M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 25/41; spot +8

    ditto.


    Okay, after a good night's rest at the Juliver Arms, its back to the dungeon! Did you want to do anything special for the wagons to retrieve the stolen goods, or we can just hand wave it and say you arranged it?


    Male Dwarf Cleric of Cayden Cailen (HP: 43/43, AC: 19 (21 w/shield); F: 10 / R: 5 / W: 10; Perception: +8)
    Resources:
  • Hero Pts: 1
  • Channels: 2/2
  • Spells: 1st: magic weapon, heal x2
  • 2nd: sound burst x2
  • Wand of Heal: 1/1 day
  • "Let's be sure these merchants bring some guards for the trip back. We wont be able to protect them once we reenter the Spire."


    M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 25/41; spot +8

    Handwave it.

    Mikos agrees with Keg. " It almost sounded like 'Mom' expected us to load and drive to wagons back. I honestly dont think that she could afford our rates. We can guide them out, but if they want us to guard the trip back, that'll be a whole lot more."


    You spend the afternoon arranging the recovery of the stolen goods. High Mother Dremagne refers you to a leading merchant in the town. On the east end of the North Way, Goldfoot Mercantile is two large warehouses across the street from a bustling counting house and workshop. The owner is a fat, white-haired dwarf named Mormuk Goldfoot. His business deals in commodities, buying up large quantities of refined materials such as cured leather, bolts of cloth, metal ingots, furs, spices, and wines, and shipping them to where they’ll command the highest prices. Goldfoot’s employs a dozen clerks and laborers, none of them slaves. (Added Goldfoot Mercantile marker to the town map).

    He listens to your request and agrees to help, especially given he lost an entire caravan to Grulk's raiders. He will finance the recovery effort and cut you a modest percentage of the recouped value. In the morning, you join two horse-drawn wagons with drivers and a half-dozen armed guards to escort them home.

    The escort leader knows an old track that leads to the Emerald Spire, cutting through the Echo Wood's twisting ridges and ravines on a meandering but wagon-friendly path. The trip takes the entire day, unfortunately, but it also avoids the main roads an any unwanted attention from Thornkeep ne'er do wells or goblins from the Pit of Chains. The sun is just setting on the horizon when you break from the trees and enter the open grasses of the Spire Glen. The strange sounds and echoes of the forest give way to eerie silence around the ruined green glass tower.

    DM:

    1d100 ⇒ 72
    1d100 ⇒ 100
    1d100 ⇒ 58

    451 to 500 of 1,053 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>
    Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM NomadSage's Emerald Spire All Messageboards

    Want to post a reply? Sign in.