DM NomadSage's Emerald Spire

Game Master nomadicc


1 to 50 of 1,049 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

You have traveled the Crusader Road north for uncountable miles, intent on a destination far more perilous than the journey you undertook to reach it. Although you are accompanied by others in your caravan with similar ends in mind, your individual reasons are as varied as the autumn-shaded leaves of the surrounding woods. Are you on a quest for glory, for righteous defiance against the evil of the Worldwound, or seeking riches in mercenary work, or maybe even a noble death? As the wagons creak along the well-worn path, there is ample time for these thoughts to cross back and forth through your mind.

The Crusader Road has now taken you into the River Lands, a motley collection of small kingdoms and proxy fiefdoms of the surrounding powers. Petty kings are everywhere, but the security of law is harder to find. One bastion, however, lies a few leagues ahead on your path: Fort Inevitable. Standing in the rolling hills on the edge of the Echo Wood, this Hellknight fortress defends the road and would-be-crusaders from the predations of brigands and worse. Some of these outlaws come from nearby Thornkeep, a wretched hive of scum and villainy set in the heart of the Echo Wood. Midway between these two hubs is the fabled Emerald Spire, which you hear a few experienced caravaners mention, though few of them have actually seen the strange Thasillonian ruin.

We'll use this opportunity for introductions. Please describe your characters and feel free to strike up some idle conversation as you bounce along the road.


Gnome Rog2; HP 38/38; AC 19; F+7, R+9, W+8, Perc +8 (+9 vs traps)

"Are we sure this place hain't been explored before? Seems t'me that a jolly big green spike might attract a bit o' attention t'itself. Not that I'm sayin' it ain't a good idea, none, but I like to know where I'm stickin' my bits if ye catch m'drift." The green haired gnome with the over-large eyes and the slightly jittery manner opines.


Male Dwarf Cleric of Cayden Cailen (HP: 31/43, AC: 19 (21 w/shield); F: 10 / R: 5 / W: 10; Perception: +8)
Resources:
  • Hero Pts: 1
  • Channels: 0/2
  • Spells: 1st: disrupting weapons, []heal x2[/s]
  • 2nd: restoration, sound burst
  • Wand of Heal: 0/1 day
  • "Ho friends! What a great day for travel and stories and of course, beer! If it's been explored before, mayhaps we will encounter others or traces of others to add to the legends of the place!

    The ruddy faced dwarf takes a swig from the silver mug hanging from a chain around his neck, symbol his devotion to Cayden Cailen.


    M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 25/41; spot +8
    Rodimissimo wrote:
    "Are we sure this place hain't been explored before? Seems t'me that a jolly big green spike might attract a bit o' attention t'itself."

    "An Emerald Spire sounds like a Greenhorn story, if you ask me," Mikos smirks. "You should check it out. I'll bet the snipe is thick around there."


    Gnome Rog2; HP 38/38; AC 19; F+7, R+9, W+8, Perc +8 (+9 vs traps)

    "Yeah, no. Las' time I went on yer snipe hunt alls I got was a sore rear-end from falling on it in th' brush. Ain't no way I'mma fall for that again." Rodi gripes.


    M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 25/41; spot +8
    Bruno "The Keg" Ironspine wrote:


    The ruddy faced dwarf takes a swig from the silver mug hanging from a chain around his neck, symbol his devotion to Cayden Cailen.

    "I thought that a keg was supposed to provide beer not drink it all up itself. It's rude to drink in front of others when they havent a cup of their own, but I'll give you the opportunity to remedy that in Thornkeep. I'm for skipping the fort. The town sounds more my speed."

    Grand Lodge

    Male Dwarf Fighter 3; HP 46/46; AC 18; Fort +9; Ref +9; Will +9; Perc +9

    A young dwarf, short of beard and wit, watches the interplay.

    "Far more likely that it has been explored and none have returned. I do agree that the town sounds more fun than the fort."


    Male Dwarf Cleric of Cayden Cailen (HP: 31/43, AC: 19 (21 w/shield); F: 10 / R: 5 / W: 10; Perception: +8)
    Resources:
  • Hero Pts: 1
  • Channels: 0/2
  • Spells: 1st: disrupting weapons, []heal x2[/s]
  • 2nd: restoration, sound burst
  • Wand of Heal: 0/1 day
  • Mikos Karnikov wrote:
    Bruno "The Keg" Ironspine wrote:


    The ruddy faced dwarf takes a swig from the silver mug hanging from a chain around his neck, symbol his devotion to Cayden Cailen.
    "I thought that a keg was supposed to provide beer not drink it all up itself. It's rude to drink in front of others when they havent a cup of their own, but I'll give you the opportunity to remedy that in Thornkeep. I'm for skipping the fort. The town sounds more my speed."

    "To tap this keg, Rostlander, is simple. Just take up the mantle of the Lucky Drunk and pledge yourself to freedom and revelry. 'Tis easy!"

    Bruno grins widely and reaches back to a small keg on his belt and holds it up as an offering. "I can baptize you now, if you wish?"


    M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 25/41; spot +8

    "Now you're living up to your namesake, Keg. I suppose those are holy vows that I can accept so long as this baptism concludes with drinking from the font and not a dunking. It's out of season for a swim," the unkempt human concludes.

    Grand Lodge

    Male Dwarf Fighter 3; HP 46/46; AC 18; Fort +9; Ref +9; Will +9; Perc +9

    "Have you ever been in season for a swim Mikos?"


    M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 25/41; spot +8

    "Good point. I can't say that it's an activity I'd willingly engage in though I'd probably do a better job of floating than a dwarf named 'Copperbottom'. Still, that's probably why we find ourselves on a ROAD through the River Kingdoms," the man snorts.


    Male Dwarf Cleric of Cayden Cailen (HP: 31/43, AC: 19 (21 w/shield); F: 10 / R: 5 / W: 10; Perception: +8)
    Resources:
  • Hero Pts: 1
  • Channels: 0/2
  • Spells: 1st: disrupting weapons, []heal x2[/s]
  • 2nd: restoration, sound burst
  • Wand of Heal: 0/1 day
  • "Sounds like the Rostlander is having trouble adapting to the demi-human life. We'll get you adjusted, big fella. Maybe earn yourself a better name than MEE ... KOSE .... And if you're lucky, a real bath ... not one in ale," the priest makes an exaggerated foul smell gesture.

    His good nature clouds for a moment as they discuss Fort Inevitable, "While I have zero desire to run into those fun-killing Hellknight bastards, we have to recognize they inflict their will on everything around them. Gonna be hard not to punch them in the nose. Fascists."


    Gnome Rog2; HP 38/38; AC 19; F+7, R+9, W+8, Perc +8 (+9 vs traps)

    "Easy for me. I can't reach their nose. But I can stab their kidneys if that would be helpful?" Rodi offers.


    M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 25/41; spot +8

    The warrior points at Rodi and gives him a nod and a cluck of approval. "Now the gnome makes sense. You'd just break your fist trying to punch one of those horned cauldrons the Hellknights wear on their heads, Brew-No. What's wrong with my name?"


    Male Dwarf Cleric of Cayden Cailen (HP: 31/43, AC: 19 (21 w/shield); F: 10 / R: 5 / W: 10; Perception: +8)
    Resources:
  • Hero Pts: 1
  • Channels: 0/2
  • Spells: 1st: disrupting weapons, []heal x2[/s]
  • 2nd: restoration, sound burst
  • Wand of Heal: 0/1 day
  • "It doesn't express your charming personality well enough. You need a nickname or something that allows the regular folks to connect you to the world. Something that really brings out your eyes, like "Sandpaper Tongue" or "Granite Nose", you know?" Bruno grins as he tries to get a rise out of Mikos.


    Gnome Rog2; HP 38/38; AC 19; F+7, R+9, W+8, Perc +8 (+9 vs traps)

    "Bruised Forehead? I mean, he IS the only one of us who routinely hits his head on things. On account of his freakishly long legs!" Rodi helpfully interjects.

    Grand Lodge

    Male Dwarf Fighter 3; HP 46/46; AC 18; Fort +9; Ref +9; Will +9; Perc +9

    Benjamin sniffs.

    "Why float when I will someday overcome my terrestrial bindings and learn to fly, as all dwarves are meant."

    ***

    "In any case, if we must treat with these Hellbrutes we should allow Mikos to do the talking. It will distract them from the rest of us."


    M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 25/41; spot +8

    "More like 'Bruised Toes' after I wedge my boots in all your asses." Mikos replies with a smirk. "Southerners sometimes call me Mick with a short i. That's probably an appropriate nickname for me in this group."


    Male Dwarf Cleric of Cayden Cailen (HP: 31/43, AC: 19 (21 w/shield); F: 10 / R: 5 / W: 10; Perception: +8)
    Resources:
  • Hero Pts: 1
  • Channels: 0/2
  • Spells: 1st: disrupting weapons, []heal x2[/s]
  • 2nd: restoration, sound burst
  • Wand of Heal: 0/1 day
  • "Mick, I like it," Bruno strokes his beard and then pulls another mug and fills it for Mikos, "Short, curt, to the point ... I think that's gonna work for you."

    Bruno passes the newly foaming mug of ale to Mikos with a wink, "Say a prayer of thanks, Mick. The Lucky Drunk loves us all."


    M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 25/41; spot +8

    Mick lifts the mug, "Thank you, Lord of the Lager!" Then he tips it and takes a long drink.


    "Hush you lot!" one of the wagon drivers says in a stern whisper. When you look, the man nods towards the front of the caravan, where a commotion is developing. You step to the side of the road for a better vantage and spy a chilling sight.

    Sitting at attention atop a great chestnut destrier is a black-armored figure. The knight's armor is tinted black with elaborate blades protruding from his pauldrons and gauntlets. His helmet is adorned with two great curved horns. He holds a long silver-banded lance, topped with a banner depicting a wyrm pierced by three black spears.

    As the caravan slows to a stop, the knight stands in his stirrups and addresses you. "I am Sir Ullust, Armiger of the Order of the Pike. By the authority of Lady Commander Audara Drovust of Fort Inevitable, I welcome you and place you under our protection. I will escort you the rest of the way to the fort."

    Society check for more?


    M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 25/41; spot +8

    Mikos throws back the rest of the beer and wipes his face with his sleeve. Handing the mug back to Keg he grunts, "Thanks. Looks like that was the high point of my day."


    Male Dwarf Cleric of Cayden Cailen (HP: 31/43, AC: 19 (21 w/shield); F: 10 / R: 5 / W: 10; Perception: +8)
    Resources:
  • Hero Pts: 1
  • Channels: 0/2
  • Spells: 1st: disrupting weapons, []heal x2[/s]
  • 2nd: restoration, sound burst
  • Wand of Heal: 0/1 day
  • Society: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

    "Nice socks." Bruno pulls out a cigar and lights a match.

    "Dangerous place then? Since we be needin' an escort and all?"


    Gnome Rog2; HP 38/38; AC 19; F+7, R+9, W+8, Perc +8 (+9 vs traps)

    Society: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

    "Is that the one you want me to stab in the kidney?" Rodi asks in a stage whisper.


    M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 25/41; spot +8

    ok, new rule check. So I can make an untrained skill check at L-2= -1 proficiency and +1 Intelligence society: 1d20 - 1 + 1 ⇒ (13) - 1 + 1 = 13


    Are you addressing the Hellknight or each other?

    Mikos:
    You recall that the Hellknight Order of the Pike are known to operate primarily as monster hunters.


    Male Dwarf Cleric of Cayden Cailen (HP: 31/43, AC: 19 (21 w/shield); F: 10 / R: 5 / W: 10; Perception: +8)
    Resources:
  • Hero Pts: 1
  • Channels: 0/2
  • Spells: 1st: disrupting weapons, []heal x2[/s]
  • 2nd: restoration, sound burst
  • Wand of Heal: 0/1 day
  • I was addressing the Hellknight


    M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 25/41; spot +8

    I wasn't until now.

    "Have we gone off the map? Are there monsters about?"


    Gnome Rog2; HP 38/38; AC 19; F+7, R+9, W+8, Perc +8 (+9 vs traps)

    I was addressing Bruno.


    Sir Ullust nods to Keg and Mikos and waves to the caravan master. As the wagons start moving again, he guides his horse to walk along the path beside you.

    "Monsters? Not along the Crusader Road for at least two years. In the depths of the Echo Wood or closer to the Numerian border, you might find trouble. Goblins, however, have been a thorn in our side recently."

    "Any band of goblins is no match for a squad of Hellknights, to be certain, but it seems the local tribe has new leadership. They show tactical patience, striking when we are gone and fading into the wilds just before we arrive. They even set hidden snares and pitfalls against riders who might give chase." He grumbles something, then says, "Their discipline is unprecedented."

    Grand Lodge

    Male Dwarf Fighter 3; HP 46/46; AC 18; Fort +9; Ref +9; Will +9; Perc +9

    Ben squints at this information.

    "Are you sure it's goblins?"

    Society: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4


    The knight nods, "Of that, I am sure. Look, you can see them spying on us." He points to a point on the hill ridge to your right. You spot a few pointy-eared heads peering over a boulder, more than a quarter mile distant. "They will not dare attack a caravan of this size, especially with me present. They will wait for easier, softer targets."

    "Whether their new leader is a goblin or not, I can't say. Rumor is there's a goblin chieftain in Thornkeep, claims to be a desendant of Zog or some greenblood nonsense. Others blame the wizard who's holed himself up in the Emerald Spire." Ullust shakes his head, looking frustrated even through his heavy armor.


    Male Dwarf Cleric of Cayden Cailen (HP: 31/43, AC: 19 (21 w/shield); F: 10 / R: 5 / W: 10; Perception: +8)
    Resources:
  • Hero Pts: 1
  • Channels: 0/2
  • Spells: 1st: disrupting weapons, []heal x2[/s]
  • 2nd: restoration, sound burst
  • Wand of Heal: 0/1 day
  • "Wait, Thornkeep is a goblin town? So much for getting a good brew there ..."

    Bruno looks sidelong at the knight. [B["My guess is there is no revelry at the Fort?"[/b]


    M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 25/41; spot +8

    Mikos squints speculatively at the distant green heads. "So are you offering a bounty?"


    Sir Ullust appraises Bruno. "Ah, a devout of the Accidental God," he says, noting your holy symbol. "You will see, Fort Inevitable isn't just the Citadel. There's a village as well, once called Southwood, before our order was called upon to protect it and this part of the Crusader Road. That was over thirty years ago, and the village has grown and prospered under our wardenship." The knight's pride is evident. "What I'm getting at, and you'll be happy to know, is that the village has a couple quality taphouses, and a small vineyard too. Even Hellknights like to throw back a few steins after a hard week on patrol."

    "That being said, while there is no prohibition against enjoying a stout beverage, public drunken disorder is not tolerated. One offense will earn you a day in the stocks. Further trouble will get you sterner sentences."

    "The Crusader Road is hard, and we know all too well what awaits you in Mendev and beyond. We of Fort Inevitable do not ask much of would-be templars and those supporting the crusades. But, we expect the laws of our small community to be respected in turn. We will not let our home devolve into a lawless, stinking pit like Thornkeep."

    To Mikos's query, the knight adds, "No bounty that I know of, although if one were to suss out this leader and neutralize the goblin threat, they would earn the respect of our villagers, and the Lady Commander."


    M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 25/41; spot +8

    "Respect of the villagers, huh?" Mikos repeats barely covering his incredulity. "Tell me more about this son of Zog- what are the bladderheads doing in a town like Thornkeep?"

    Grand Lodge

    Male Dwarf Fighter 3; HP 46/46; AC 18; Fort +9; Ref +9; Will +9; Perc +9

    "How many goblins are there? Must be a few if you can't handle them. Do they raid you?"


    Ullust shrugs, "Who can say? Goblins in this land are like fleas on a dog. Where you see one, a dozen more lurk in hiding. And they breed nearly as fast."

    "They would never dare attack Fort Inevitable directly, although they do grow more bold. No, they seek easy targets like loners on the road and small caravans."

    "Our order numbers about sixty knights, most of which are on patrol at any given time. We cannot be everywhere at once, and these goblins have proven wily enough. If we knew the location of their base and leader, we could stomp them out readily enough, but, like those dog's fleas, they remain elusive."

    "As for Thornkeep, that place is a hive of the worst criminals: thieves, swindlers, murderers. They open scoff laws and allow brigands and bandits who prey on Crusader Road to shelter there... as well as goblins. A small tribe called the Brambleclaws lives there in the warren." He shakes his head, adding, "I think we should mass our force with the Iomedeans from Fort Riverwatch and wipe the blight from the face of Golarion, but Lady Commander Drovust does not want to start of conflict that will endanger our good townsfolk."


    Male Dwarf Cleric of Cayden Cailen (HP: 31/43, AC: 19 (21 w/shield); F: 10 / R: 5 / W: 10; Perception: +8)
    Resources:
  • Hero Pts: 1
  • Channels: 0/2
  • Spells: 1st: disrupting weapons, []heal x2[/s]
  • 2nd: restoration, sound burst
  • Wand of Heal: 0/1 day
  • "We'll definitely need to inspect that vineyard, ensure the town is keeping up tradition and maintaining respectable libations. I'm sure it's prospering under your august protection"

    Bruno struggles to keep the sarcasm out of his voice, but gets serious at the mention of the goblins, "The little psychos just raiding and pillaging or are they taking anyone?"


    M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 25/41; spot +8

    Mikos scratches his beard thinking. "If they're as organized as you say, it could be that the two groups are working together: the main body stationed at the Spire and a small group in Thornkeep to spy or fence the stolen goods..."

    "Did you say there is a wizard involved in all this?"


    Ullust ignores Bruno's snark but replies curtly to his following question. "No captives, just killing, theft and destruction."

    "A keen thought," the knight agrees with Mikos. He flicks his reins, instinctively guiding his warhorse around a pothole. "There are a few goblin tribes in the region, but they hate each other. Anyone that could discipline them might also force them to get along."

    "As for this wizard, there's a rumor a man named Klarkosh has taken up the Emerald Spire as his residence. They say he's an outcast of the Technic League, from Numeria." He shakes his head again. "I don't really know, but anyone who lives in that place is either insane or a monster himself."

    "If you're truly interested in learning more about these things, you could speak with Abernard Royst in Fort Inevitable. He's kind of our local sage, a retired adventurer I'm told. Or, you can ask Signifier Oritian Hast, head of the Order of the Gate chapter in town. He has a good-sized library and arcane workshop at the Chancery."


    M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 25/41; spot +8

    "That is an idea, but I'm still not seeing how 'respect of the villagers' is paying for our necessities."

    Grand Lodge

    Male Dwarf Fighter 3; HP 46/46; AC 18; Fort +9; Ref +9; Will +9; Perc +9

    "Well and again, I am intrigued by the wizard but we are bound for the front. Do we have time to clear out goblin scum?"

    Despite his words the hairy wizard is obviously intrigued by thoughts of a spellbook to loot.


    "You could ask around town, at the Gate Market or at our inn, the Juliver Arms. You very well could find someone offering a bounty. Also, many folk post notices at the Victory Fountain at the center of town."

    Sir Ullust looks to Ben, "Your time is your own. No one is pushing you to the Worldwound but yourselves. And anything you can do to protect your fellow crusaders on their journey is aiding the cause, yes?"


    M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 25/41; spot +8

    The reluctant crusader shrugs. "Might be worth looking into anyway; a particularly important item of mine was recently stolen on the road and there's a chance it could have ended up in quick little green fingered hands."


    Gnome Rog2; HP 38/38; AC 19; F+7, R+9, W+8, Perc +8 (+9 vs traps)

    Rodi shrugs. "I didn't steal it. And I think it's rude for people to steal from my friends when I could have done a much better job of stealing it. It's takin' jobs away from hard-workin' gnomes. Ain't right. I'll check it out wit'cha."


    Male Dwarf Cleric of Cayden Cailen (HP: 31/43, AC: 19 (21 w/shield); F: 10 / R: 5 / W: 10; Perception: +8)
    Resources:
  • Hero Pts: 1
  • Channels: 0/2
  • Spells: 1st: disrupting weapons, []heal x2[/s]
  • 2nd: restoration, sound burst
  • Wand of Heal: 0/1 day
  • "Crackin' some goblin heads will be just as satisfyin' as hunting demons. Let's go find your 'Important Item'" Bruno says that last with exaggerated emphasis and air quotes.


    Sir Ullust nods farewell and snaps his reins, moving his warhorse towards the fore to speak with the caravan master. The Hellknight stays with you the rest of the journey, riding up and back alongside the wagon train, keeping a vigilant watch for goblins or other trouble. Happily, nothing happens and you emerge from the hills unmolested. The landscape flattens out into rolling plains covered with a patchwork of golden wheat and fenced green pastures. To the northeast, the Echo Wood reaches to the horizon in a dark green tangle. To the west, the land slopes gently down towards the West Sellen River, which runs generally parallel to your road and north into the hazy distance.

    Straight ahead, the road leads to a walled town beside a small lake. The wall is stout and crowned with battlements. On the west side of the town is a tall, eight-sided citadel tower that overlooks the entire region. The road leads up to a strong gatehouse, where a squad of guards waits in formation. Sir Ullust rides ahead and speaks to the gate sergeant, who in turn calls for the gates to be opened. In orderly fashion, the guards clear the road and stand by at attention as your caravan rolls into the town.

    Fort Inevitable, as the knight explained, is more than just the citadel fort. Within the walls is a small, orderly town of two- and three-story stone houses and workshops with roofs of red tile or blue slate. Most of the buildings are aligned down one of three main avenues: North Way, Juliver Way, and Lord Varden Way. The streets are paved and clean.

    The caravan pulls in through the Juliver Gate and lines up to park in a small fiend just inside. The caravaners get busy taking care of the livestock and securing the wagons, while the merchants make plans to trade goods and restock before the next leg of the trek.

    You are free to explore the town, etc. Any places you want to visit or people to meet, based on your conversations earlier? We can break ut flex-time threads as needed.

    I updated the Roll 20 map to the town, and added some notes on the campaign tab. I'll add notes and descriptions as you go.


    M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 25/41; spot +8

    Where's the Gate Market?

    Mikos rubs his hands together. 'If there's only one Inn, we might as well make sure we get some rooms first. I've got a couple coins left and don't relish sleeping on the cobbles. We could pass by the Fountain and later the Market to see if there's any bounty offered on goblins while we're here."


    Marked the Gate Market on the Map. Its the open green adjacent to the Juliver Arms.

    1 to 50 of 1,049 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
    Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM NomadSage's Emerald Spire All Messageboards

    Want to post a reply? Sign in.