DM NomadSage's Emerald Spire

Game Master nomadicc


551 to 600 of 1,049 << first < prev | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | next > last >>

Gnome Rog2; HP 38/38; AC 19; F+7, R+9, W+8, Perc +8 (+9 vs traps)

"Um, guys? Guys? Which one of you looks an awful lot like a spider?" Rodi pulls himself off the spikes as best he can and draws his rapier.


M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 25/41; spot +8

Mikos draws the falchion and attacks the door.

Chop: 1d10 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 2 + 1 = 10
Chop: 1d10 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 2 + 1 = 8

Hardness of 5? means that's 8 damage. 10 hp to break a wood door.


Male Dwarf Cleric of Cayden Cailen (HP: 31/43, AC: 19 (21 w/shield); F: 10 / R: 5 / W: 10; Perception: +8)
Resources:
  • Hero Pts: 1
  • Channels: 0/2
  • Spells: 1st: disrupting weapons, []heal x2[/s]
  • 2nd: restoration, sound burst
  • Wand of Heal: 0/1 day
  • Athletics: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16 to break door.

    Athletics: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19 to break door.

    Athletics: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25 to break door.

    Interact is a single action, so I see 3 attempts as possible per.round? My damage output is too low to reliably overcome the DR I'll take aids as able


    Mikos Karnikov wrote:
    I didn't take my action... i asked if the trapdoor is wood, stone, webbing, cheese? That would determine if I hacked it or tried to aid. I think aid another changed, but dont recall how.

    The trapdoor is constructed to look like the floor, so mostly stone on the top surface.

    I think I confused things with the wording before... basically the sequence of events was: Rodi fell in the trap, trigger initiative, Mikos and Keg run forward to help, Spider acts and shoves the trapdoor closed (opposed action). Now its the party's action.

    Never got an init check from Ben or Rodi, but its moot now.


    M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 25/41; spot +8

    so it's the spider now or Ben and Rodi? An init order list might be a good idea.


    Alright, I'm back. I'll try to untangle this mess.

    Round Two: Mikos, The Keg, Spider, Ben, Rodi

    Mikos hacks at the trapdoor, only making a few marks in the stone facade. The Keg jams his crowbar into the seam and shoves down. The first attempt slips, the second pries away some of the edging, but the third attempt catches and the panel pops down. As it falls open, the door shears away some webbing the spider had used to hold it closed. Rodi once again enjoys the light.

    The moon spider hisses and climbs down the wall, snapping its mandibles at Rodi.

    Moon Spider bite vs Rodi: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23; Damage: 2d4 + 2 ⇒ (3, 1) + 2 = 6
    and DC 15 Fort save vs poison... failure deals 1d6 ⇒ 1 poison damage and flat-footed next round.

    The spider is on the wall above Rodi (5 feet down from the top). Everyone can act before its next turn. Actions?


    M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 25/41; spot +8

    Round 2

    "Good Job, Keg. " Mikos rasps and stoops to swing the big blade down at the spider.

    Falchion: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22; chop: 1d10 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 2 + 1 = 12

    Falchion: 1d20 + 8 - 5 ⇒ (17) + 8 - 5 = 20; chop: 1d10 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 2 + 1 = 7

    Falchion: 1d20 + 8 - 10 ⇒ (8) + 8 - 10 = 6; chop: 1d10 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 2 + 1 = 9


    Male Dwarf Cleric of Cayden Cailen (HP: 31/43, AC: 19 (21 w/shield); F: 10 / R: 5 / W: 10; Perception: +8)
    Resources:
  • Hero Pts: 1
  • Channels: 0/2
  • Spells: 1st: disrupting weapons, []heal x2[/s]
  • 2nd: restoration, sound burst
  • Wand of Heal: 0/1 day
  • Must be an error in Hero Lab, vital beacon is a 4th level spell. Will add another heal since I'm limited on channels right now

    The Keg drops the crowbar and then wonders why he doesn't own a ranged weapon.

    He briefly considers leaping over the edge to cannon ball the spider down into the pit, but can't quite justify it in his mind.

    He raises his shield and draws his rapier.

    Mainly because I couldn't work out if a fall, shove, grapple could work in this scenario

    Grand Lodge

    Male Dwarf Fighter 3; HP 46/46; AC 18; Fort +9; Ref +9; Will +9; Perc +9

    Ben hits the spider with a ray of frost.

    Attack: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10
    Damage: 1d4 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6


    Gnome Rog2; HP 38/38; AC 19; F+7, R+9, W+8, Perc +8 (+9 vs traps)

    Rodi yelps when the spider bites! They stab with their steely knives.
    Rapier: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12 for 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8 damage!
    Rapier: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (15) + 0 = 15 for 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4 damage!
    Rapier: 1d20 - 5 ⇒ (12) - 5 = 7 for 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8 damage!


    M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 25/41; spot +8

    I think you need a save vs poison, Rodi.


    Gnome Rog2; HP 38/38; AC 19; F+7, R+9, W+8, Perc +8 (+9 vs traps)

    Fort: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22


    Round Three: Mikos, The Keg, Spider, Ben, Rodi

    Ben rushes over and casts a cold beam at the giant spider but slips a bit near the edge of the pit. Regaining his balance costs him his aim, and the ray goes wide.

    Rodi yelps in pain but fends off the spider's venom. He stabs recklessly, making no solid contact.

    From above, Mikos slashes his falchion down on the creature, back and forth like a bladed pendulum, carving two deep cuts into its abdomen. The spider twitches and hops to the far wall.

    The Keg looks for ways to engage, finally drawing his rapier.

    oozing ichor from its wounds, the moon spider glares at Mikos with malevolent, low intelligence. It scrambles up the back of the pit and wall, coming at him from above.

    Moon Spider bite vs Mikos: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19; Damage: 2d4 + 2 ⇒ (2, 3) + 2 = 7
    Moon Spider bite vs Mikos: 1d20 + 8 - 5 ⇒ (8) + 8 - 5 = 11; Damage: 2d4 + 2 ⇒ (4, 3) + 2 = 9
    and DC 15 Fort save vs poison... failure deals 1d6 ⇒ 6 poison damage and flat-footed next round.

    Actions?


    M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 25/41; spot +8

    Caught in a squat over the pit, Mikos is unable to avoid the speedy spider's bite. fort save: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11

    hp: 10, flat-footed

    ouch. Gotta look up Flat-footed.


    M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 25/41; spot +8

    Round 3; -2 AC

    Mikos manages to dodge another bite, but not the venom. He feels a bit woozy as he keeps slicing at the spider.

    Falchion: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20; chop: 1d10 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 2 + 1 = 8

    Falchion: 1d20 + 8 - 5 ⇒ (8) + 8 - 5 = 11; chop: 1d10 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 2 + 1 = 11

    Falchion (exacting strike): 1d20 + 8 - 5 ⇒ (13) + 8 - 5 = 16; chop: 1d10 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 2 + 1 = 11


    Gnome Rog2; HP 38/38; AC 19; F+7, R+9, W+8, Perc +8 (+9 vs traps)

    Alright, finally got around to updating to 2nd edition. The 2e stats are in my profile under a spoiler at the bottom. Let me know when you want me to start using them.


    Go ahead and use them now. I think everyone else is updated.

    Grand Lodge

    Male Dwarf Fighter 3; HP 46/46; AC 18; Fort +9; Ref +9; Will +9; Perc +9

    "Don't worry fellows, this will hit eventually."

    Attack: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13
    Damage: 1d4 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5


    Ben casts another frost ray but again misses.

    Mikos wounds the spider again then makes a clumsy backswing. He brings the falchion down in a powerful chop, cutting deep into its back. The moon spider squeals and its legs curl up as it dies.

    End of Combat!


    M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 25/41; spot +8

    Mikos plops down, looking a bit green from the venom. He grabs the end of the rope and calls down to Rodi. "Better hurry on up while I can still hold onto the rope."


    Gnome Rog2; HP 38/38; AC 19; F+7, R+9, W+8, Perc +8 (+9 vs traps)

    Rodi scrambles up the rope, taking their time. "Whoo! That was a fun way to find a trap, wassnit?" Rodi straightens up and looks around to see if they saw anything else interesting in the pit.


    Male Dwarf Cleric of Cayden Cailen (HP: 31/43, AC: 19 (21 w/shield); F: 10 / R: 5 / W: 10; Perception: +8)
    Resources:
  • Hero Pts: 1
  • Channels: 0/2
  • Spells: 1st: disrupting weapons, []heal x2[/s]
  • 2nd: restoration, sound burst
  • Wand of Heal: 0/1 day
  • The Keg will use the wand of heal on Mikos using the 2 action version.

    Heal: 1d8 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10

    "north, then?"


    M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 25/41; spot +8

    Mikos gathers his rope and sword. "I could use some patching up, Keg. You got anything for poison?"

    Ninja priest!


    M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 25/41; spot +8

    hp: 20; poison is ongoing damage so we might need to wait until I save.

    "Suck it out or something?" he asks as he eyeballs the swollen bite nervously.

    preemptive save: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13


    M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 25/41; spot +8

    +2 bonus from a medicine skill check would get me there.


    Standing by on any aid for the poison. If not forthcoming, Mikos advances to stage 2 for Poison Damage: 1d12 ⇒ 11 and Clumsy 1 and flat-footed. 1 round until next save...


    Male Dwarf Cleric of Cayden Cailen (HP: 31/43, AC: 19 (21 w/shield); F: 10 / R: 5 / W: 10; Perception: +8)
    Resources:
  • Hero Pts: 1
  • Channels: 0/2
  • Spells: 1st: disrupting weapons, []heal x2[/s]
  • 2nd: restoration, sound burst
  • Wand of Heal: 0/1 day
  • Treat Poison: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13

    Might want to take 10 minutes and do the post battle medicine check instead of the wand heal as well. Let’s do that right quick.

    not sure if that's enough

    is it a repeatable skill? It is one action. So I could do it 3 times before he takes damage again

    Treat Poison: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27
    Treat Poison: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20

    Treat Wounds: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25
    Healed: 2d8 ⇒ (6, 2) = 8

    and if I csnt retcon the wand then add 1d8 ⇒ 2 for healing hands


    M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 25/41; spot +8

    you can try once each time I save. At least the next was a crit success.

    Mikos turns paler and begins to lose his motor coordination as the venom burns through his body. hp 9, etc

    fort sv #3: 1d20 + 5 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 5 + 4 = 19

    that should do it. I believe the conditions remain until the poison hits its max rounds-4 rnds? Treat wounds takes 10 min and as a crit success should be 4d8


    Male Dwarf Cleric of Cayden Cailen (HP: 31/43, AC: 19 (21 w/shield); F: 10 / R: 5 / W: 10; Perception: +8)
    Resources:
  • Hero Pts: 1
  • Channels: 0/2
  • Spells: 1st: disrupting weapons, []heal x2[/s]
  • 2nd: restoration, sound burst
  • Wand of Heal: 0/1 day
  • 4d8 ⇒ (6, 7, 1, 5) = 19

    This crit success stuff will take a while


    The poison conditions wear off in a couple rounds.

    After a few painful moments, Mikos feels the effects of the spider's venom slowly subside. The Keg reverses most of the damage with a skillful heal pulse from the wand.

    Rodi took some hits in the fall and fight as well. Status?

    When everyone is ready, you shove open the stone slab door to the north.

    A curving wall of glowing green crystal bulges out into this chamber from the northwest corner. A stout wooden table stands along the wall opposite it. On the table lie three rotting human corpses and the remnants of a moon spider.

    One of the human corpses has had all of its extremities severed, and its torso has been opened to reveal the internal organs. Another dismembered corpse has moon spider legs sewn onto the stumps in place of the removed limbs, all of which are neatly arranged near the rest of the moon spider. A bucket full of reeking, old blood sits on the floor under the table, and needles with lengths of silken thread attached are stuck in a hand-sized block of bloodstained wax atop the table.

    Roll20 map updated. Actions?


    M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 25/41; spot +8

    Mikos looks into the room with disgust. "I wonder if this is the same sicko that made the metal man."

    Grand Lodge

    Male Dwarf Fighter 3; HP 46/46; AC 18; Fort +9; Ref +9; Will +9; Perc +9

    "Perhaps, but I see no metal working here, only organic."

    Ben sets his gaze to the world of magic and scans the room again.

    Cast Detect Magic, which is now a pulse and not a concentration?


    M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 25/41; spot +8

    "Clanky did have a meat arm sewed on. If these things are going to explode as well, I say let's leave them be."


    Male Dwarf Cleric of Cayden Cailen (HP: 31/43, AC: 19 (21 w/shield); F: 10 / R: 5 / W: 10; Perception: +8)
    Resources:
  • Hero Pts: 1
  • Channels: 0/2
  • Spells: 1st: disrupting weapons, []heal x2[/s]
  • 2nd: restoration, sound burst
  • Wand of Heal: 0/1 day
  • The Keg can heal two folks with Medicine in that time, so Rodi can gain the 4d8 above as well (19). Cna't use Medicine on you two for another hour. Be safe.

    The Keg sniffs around but listens to Mikos and doesn't touch anything.


    Gnome Rog2; HP 38/38; AC 19; F+7, R+9, W+8, Perc +8 (+9 vs traps)

    Rodi shrugs. They take the healing with a smile and move to search around for anything of value.


    DM:
    1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21

    Ben's divination picks up some items radiating magic from the table.

    Rodi shrugs nonchalantly and steps into the room to look around. A few feet into the room, however, his eyes catch a suspicious pattern in the ceiling panels. One large square in the center of the room stands out as a slightly different color from the rest of the drab stone.

    Area marked on the map. Actions or plans?


    Male Dwarf Cleric of Cayden Cailen (HP: 31/43, AC: 19 (21 w/shield); F: 10 / R: 5 / W: 10; Perception: +8)
    Resources:
  • Hero Pts: 1
  • Channels: 0/2
  • Spells: 1st: disrupting weapons, []heal x2[/s]
  • 2nd: restoration, sound burst
  • Wand of Heal: 0/1 day
  • No items listed above on the table other than the needles?

    Assuming Ben tells us, The Keg will search the table for things other than gory body parts.

    Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18


    Gnome Rog2; HP 38/38; AC 19; F+7, R+9, W+8, Perc +8 (+9 vs traps)

    Does it look suspicious, like it might be a trap of some sort? Or just an odd discolored patch?


    M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 25/41; spot +8

    One and the same, I'd say....

    Mikos groans as his companions go poking around the freaky dead things. " I've got a bad feeling about this. "

    Grand Lodge

    Male Dwarf Fighter 3; HP 46/46; AC 18; Fort +9; Ref +9; Will +9; Perc +9

    Ben examines the discoloration.

    "I am sure it is a trap, we just do not know what kind."


    M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 25/41; spot +8

    "Alright, everyone fall back." Mikos orders. "I'm not ready to get spider bit again. The trap will be here for you fools later. Let's scout out the level first."

    "Rodi, can you fix the pit so we can cross over safely?"


    Male Dwarf Cleric of Cayden Cailen (HP: 31/43, AC: 19 (21 w/shield); F: 10 / R: 5 / W: 10; Perception: +8)
    Resources:
  • Hero Pts: 1
  • Channels: 0/2
  • Spells: 1st: disrupting weapons, []heal x2[/s]
  • 2nd: restoration, sound burst
  • Wand of Heal: 0/1 day
  • "Bah, where's your sense of adventure, Mik?" The Keg replies with bravado, but he hops back from the table fairly quickly with a feint sense of alarm and follows the others out.


    Hope everyone's had a relaxing holiday weekend!

    Made aware of the trapdoor in the cieling, Rodi looks around and finds that the trap appears to be triggered by pressure plates on the floor directly beneath.

    Pointed out by Ben's magical detection, The Keg spots two wax-stoppered clay flasks amid the clutter on the table, as well as a bone scroll tube.

    Rodi thinks both the room and hallway traps could be disarmed (using Thievery checks).


    Gnome Rog2; HP 38/38; AC 19; F+7, R+9, W+8, Perc +8 (+9 vs traps)

    Rodi proceeds to disarm the trap as best he can. Do I roll or is this a secret check?


    Rodimissimo wrote:
    Rodi proceeds to disarm the trap as best he can. Do I roll or is this a secret check?

    You make the rolls.


    Gnome Rog2; HP 38/38; AC 19; F+7, R+9, W+8, Perc +8 (+9 vs traps)

    Thievery: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7
    Thievery: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26
    Thievery: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12


    Working on the pit, Rodi at first instead triggers it and nearly falls in again. After a teetering moment, he recovers and -- with a newfound insight into the trap's mechanism -- just as quickly closes and locks it shut.

    Trap disabled!

    You continue east and shove open the stone slab. The walls and ceiling of the revealed room are hidden behind a thick, gray-white forest of spider webs that obfuscates all vision beyond ten feet. Webs are everywhere, creating a maze of vertical sheets. Gray, furry dust clings to the sticky, white webs. The desiccated, shriveled corpse of a long-dead man hangs spread-eagle across one of these layers of webbing, and rusty swords, daggers, and axes hang securely from others.

    Mikos spots something moving, hidden in the webs near the south exit.

    DM:

    R: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10
    M: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24
    B: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
    K: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15

    Actions? Map updated.

    Note: I want to make sure I'm using the correct modifiers for 'secret' checks. A couple of you have disparity between your statblock Perception and what's indicated by your names. Also, I find it strange that the rogue has the worst Perception modifier... is that correct?


    Gnome Rog2; HP 38/38; AC 19; F+7, R+9, W+8, Perc +8 (+9 vs traps)

    I am updated now!


    Male Dwarf Cleric of Cayden Cailen (HP: 31/43, AC: 19 (21 w/shield); F: 10 / R: 5 / W: 10; Perception: +8)
    Resources:
  • Hero Pts: 1
  • Channels: 0/2
  • Spells: 1st: disrupting weapons, []heal x2[/s]
  • 2nd: restoration, sound burst
  • Wand of Heal: 0/1 day
  • Did Rodi disarm the trap in the room, too? Assuming yes ...

    The Keg grabs the magic vials and scroll tube and moves to follow.


    M Human (Rostlander) Fighter 3; AC 20, HP 25/41; spot +8
    Bruno "The Keg" Ironspine wrote:
    Did Rodi disarm the trap in the room, too? Assuming yes ...

    I don't think so. percep above is correct.

    Mikos squints toward the south door. "Something is moving in the webs. I'm really tempted just to burn it all, but I guess it could be a survivor." Mikos makes sure his flask of alchemical fire is at hand as he cautiously moves forward slashing away the webs with his falchion. "Stay close, Keg."

    551 to 600 of 1,049 << first < prev | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | next > last >>
    Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM NomadSage's Emerald Spire All Messageboards

    Want to post a reply? Sign in.