The Dying City: DM Norv's "Curse of the Crimson Throne"

Game Master The Norv

The classic story of intrigue, magic, and strife in Korvosa, and of five figures caught in the balance of greater forces than they know.

Current Date: Starday, 10th of Lamashan, 4708

Current Map | Flex Time | Loot Tracker | Floorplan for the Rosa in Fiore

Harrow Points and Uses:

Current Harrow Points:
Callie: 3
Korriban: 2
Lantressa: 4
Matoska: 2
Teodor: 3

Flash of Insight: You can spend a Harrow point to attempt a skill check that normally requires training for a skill in which you have no ranks. You gain a one-time +5 bonus to that skill check.

Intelligence Rerolls: You can spend a Harrow point to reroll any one Intelligence-based check. You must abide by the new result, even if it's lower (but you can spend more Harrow points to reroll again if you want to).

Focused Thought: You can reattempt a Knowledge check that you have previously failed. On this attempt, you gain a +10 bonus on the check.


3,751 to 3,800 of 5,161 << first < prev | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | next > last >>

Male

I'm gonna call it:

COMBAT OVER!

Although Callie's too thrown by the sudden disappearance to come up with any good guesses as to where Rolth might have gone, both she and Korriban realize that the underground complex is only about 40 or 50 feet below ground level--meaning that if he had a destination in mind, Rolth could have teleported all the way out of the warehouse and into the streets or a building he was familiar with. Korriban knows that there's a tavern in nearby--Bailer's Retreat--that's popular with the criminal element, but that's just one possibility. West Dock is a crowded neighborhood...

The Physician, meanwhile, is babbling. He rips off his mask, revealing a paunchy man just approaching middle age. "I don't know where Rolth went, I swear! He was never really one of us--he just impressed Andaisin with his magics, he was never a true believer! But he was one of the ones who came up with blood veil. I can show you his notes! I can prove it!"

Callie:
Listening through the door, you can hear a man moaning in pain as well as a second person tunelessly humming, interrupted by the occasional clink of metal on metal or glass. The moaning voice sounds...almost familiar...almost like...Ruan?!


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive I

The better part of valor might be to call everyone over before doing anything else, but when Callie hears a familiar voice moaning in pain through the door, she throws caution to the wind and at least tries to open the door. If it's indeed unlocked, she flings it open, sword at the ready. "Ruan?"


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban curses. "D****t! Rolth could be anywhere in West Dock! He might be in Bailer's Retreat. That place always have some criminals in it." When the cultist says that he can show the party Rolth's notes, Korriban points at him. "Show us! Show us everything he has!" He notices Callie lingering by the door. "Blue? You alright?"


Male

"It's hidden in the operating room out there! I can show you!" the Physician babbles. "Happy to do so!" He points out to the "mural" room--presumably the operating room is the one to the south, the one that led into the jail. (That'd be G5.)

Callie tries the door, but it does prove to be locked.


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

"Tell us where now and you live."bluff: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (6) + 20 = 26


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Sense Motive vs Teodor DC 26: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12

Korriban glares at the Physician through his mask. He says, "Yeah. Tell us and then submit yourself to the Guard for justice!"


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive I

"Korriban, your physician just pointed out where to go, he's already answered your question. Now can you come unlock THIS door? I think Ruan's behind it." She adds belatedly, "Please." She starts looking at the door, wondering if she could break it down.


Male

"I uh...I don't totally understand your question! There might be a typo in it?" the man babbles to Teodor. "I sleep here! I'm from Cheliax, I'm not from this city. There's a small dormitory on the other side of the island where we sometimes sleep if we're out in the field late."

Does Korriban unlock the door?


Male

Oh, I should add:

The door looks sturdy and difficult to break down. Although you might be able to hack it apart with a weapon, Callie isn't confident she could break it down with a kick.


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Sorry. I was just following Teodor's lead.

Korriban hears Callie's plea and moves over to the door. He starts off to listening to what may be on the other side and searching for any traps.

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24
Perception vs Traps: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (6) + 12 = 18

As he searches, he whispers to Callie. "If Ruan's in there, then that vampire might be in there as well."


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

attack: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21damage: 1d10 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12"Tolja it was Chelish!" Teodor gleefully calls as he executes the physician.


Male

"Wait, wha--" the Physicians' words are cut off as Teodor's flail connects with his head.

Korriban, meanwhile, finds no traps on the door, though he (like Callie) can hear a person moving around inside, along with intermittent low moans.


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

"I could use my door trick to get in and unlock the room," Teodor offers, wiping grey meat off his flail.


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban turns to Callie. "No traps on the door. So that's good." However, he hears shouting. Korriban's jaw drops at Teodor's action. "What did you do that for?! He surrendered!"


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

Teodor shrugs. "The Lord said this Chelish scum's time was up. No need to waste food, space, or healing for cultists that would destroy this city. Don't we habe a rescue to perform if we're not trying to find Rolth and finish him off?"


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive I

When Korriban warns Callie about a vampire she nods. "All the more reason to do something."

Then the gory violence occurs and Korriban yells. Callie purses her lips at Teodor and speaks while either Korriban or he figure out how to open the door. "I think determining when one dies is Pharasma's job, not the dog she feeds her scraps to. You want to kill a man in cold blood, you could at least have the balls to own it like the Urgathoans do." She shakes her head at Korriban. "I don't believe in killing a man who has surrendered... but at the same time these servants of the cult have shown no remorse and could come back to hurt more people. I really don't know what would have been worse, to be honest. All I know is the more I spend time with you people, the darker my thoughts get."


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban frowns at Teodor's explaination. He listens to Callie and frowns, turning back to the door. He pulls out his masterwork thieves tools as he says, "You both have a point. Very good points. However, I'm trying to be somewhat honorable. I know, the sword wielding, punk rogue kid who was trained by Calistrian courtesans and prostitutes trying to be honorable. Weird, I know. But, at times like this... I guess, I don't know... This city could use some of that honor. It could use some heroes. People better than the crazy disease necromancers. Who don't resort to the same tactics as them. I guess that's why I look up to Blackjack so much. Hearing stories about him growing up, seeing him in person. That's why I wanted to be like him. A swashbuckling hero who comes in and makes things better." He sighs. "I don't know. Maybe it's because of all this s**t. Maybe it's because I nearly died yesterday. But part of me feels like my life is at some sort of crossroads and I'm conflicted as to which way I should go." He begins to pick the lock, looking at Callie and saying, "Sorry for having that effect on you, Blue."

Disable Device (masterwork thieves tools): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (19) + 12 = 31

Even sharing his inner thoughts doesn't distract Korriban from his work. It's like it's second nature to him.


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

"Watch your tone, storyteller. Groetus is the End of all stories and all gods. EVERYTHING ends at his will. Korriban, I will not try to dissuade you from being a so-called hero. Do as thou wilt. I shall serve the Lord."


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive I

Callie answers Teodor first. "Dying and ending are two different things, and you have no more authority over death than I, let alone your hungry moon. Your choices are yours alone. Were you a responsible man, you wouldn't place the burden on Groetus for them."

Callie turns to Korriban. "I shouldn't blame you. It's this situation, these cultists. I've seen darkness in the hearts of men, but this is a whole other level. Demons, undead? They are what they are by nature. These people have chosen their path, and that's far more terrifying to me. I just hope I can live with the actions I choose to take. As you go forward... be careful you don't confuse honor for compassion. The latter without the former can be dangerous."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive I

Whoops that should say "former without the latter." I.e. honor without compassion. Lol. Do not post pre coffee!


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

"I choose to follow the Lord. I therefore chose to put that man down. The Lord and I are both rather pleased. Good work with the door, Korriban." Teodor smiles pleasantly throughout.


female | tiefling (pitborn) | sorcerer 8 |HP: 48/50 | AC:14 [17]; T:12; FF:13 [15]| CMB +4, CMD:16 | Fort:+6; Ref:+6; Will:+8 | Init:+2; Perc:+0 Volatile Conduit 1/1 | Beguiling Voice (dc 17) 3/8 | Fascinate (dc 20) 2/2 | Spells: lvl 1 7/8; lvl 2 4/7; lvl 3 3/6; lvl 4 3/4

Lantressa had been listening, at least in part, to all that was said, but was focusing far more on regaining in her inner demon. It was rare for her to have a day like this, one where she was so angry and impatient she saw red constantly, and it was the shock of Teodor ending the cultist that finally tipped the scale in her favor. "For what he's done did he need to die? Yes, I think he did. Should it have been one of us to do it after he surrendered? I don't know." She seemed thoughtful and concerned, "Do we really expect justice would be served? With everything that points to the Queen's involvement would he have been tried and convicted or would she have made sure any of the doctors we capture were freed to continue their work for her?"


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive I

"Then you choose to be cony to your own con," Callie says to Teodor. She returns his pleasant smile with a too-sweetly broad flash of teeth.

She turns around. "Good point, Lantressa. I don't think Kroft herself is corrupt--a bit too stiff and by the book, but not corrupt--but the moment will be coming too soon when the Grey Maidens override the Guard's authority."

Callie hears Korriban trip the lock and falls silent, waiting with sword ready.


Male

As the conversation finds its end, Korriban's tools trip the lock, and the door clicks as it is unlocked. I'm assuming that someone opens it...

The door swings wide to reveal a small chamber beyond. An elegant operating table dominates the center of this grim laboratory. Crossed by iron restraints and circled by a gore-encrusted gutter, the macabre device sports various cranks and levers, and is large enough to accommodate an ogre. Along the walls stand several tables strewn with all manner of alchemical accouterments. Their contents appear extremely old: rusted iron tools, beakers of purpled glass, and deep pools of wax from countless melted candles.

A young man with dark hair lies on the operating table, apparently unconscious. Callie recognizes him immediately as Ruan Mirukova. Standing not far from him, a pair of beakers in hand, is a slightly bemused-looking man with pale skin and sharply pointed ears, whose skin is stretched so tightly over his face he has an almost skull-like appearance. A green and pink spherical stone circles his head in a lazy orbit. He looks in your direction, clearly surprised.

"Ah, you must be the ones that that fool Rolth was raving about," he says, sounding annoyed. "Stabbed him to death, have you? Good. You'll be pleased to know I've no love for the maniac. Now just shut the door again, and you can be on your way."


Male

Oh yes:

Knowledge (Religion) DC 10:
Yeah, this guy definitely looks like a vampire!


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive I

Gah, one thing I really miss in the arcane duelist archetype is the Bardic Knowledge ability. Still, IIRC anyone can attempt a DC 10 Knowledge check untrained, so...

Knowledge (Religion): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

Callie has no experience with whatever she is looking at. She does know that Korriban was afraid the other occupant of this room was a vampire.

But she also sees her friend, unconscious, tortured, and clearly the subject of awful experimentation, and rage clouds her eyes.

"Get away from HIM!" Her voice raises into a shout that at the end transcends the hearable spectrum of noise--save for her target, who is struck by a sudden unpleasant cacophony.

Callie casts ear piercing scream. DC 14 Fortitude save for half; if fails save, dazed for 1 round.

Sonic Damage: 3d6 ⇒ (1, 1, 2) = 4

Thanks Paizo die roller! I can always count on you to back up the drama appropriately.


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

know religion: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26Ooooh, could that get me some more info? Or does Teodor go with Ustalavian superstition?

Teodor shrugs with nonchalance at Callie, but at the reveal he hisses. "Lipitoare! Viper! Vampir!" He instinctively goes for his holy symbol.


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17
Teodor Niculescu wrote:
"Watch your tone, storyteller. Groetus is the End of all stories and all gods. EVERYTHING ends at his will. Korriban, I will not try to dissuade you from being a so-called hero. Do as thou wilt. I shall serve the Lord."

Korriban smiles a bit at Teodor's comment. "Thanks... I guess."

Callie Cobalt wrote:
Callie turns to Korriban. "I shouldn't blame you. It's this situation, these cultists. I've seen darkness in the hearts of men, but this is a whole other level. Demons, undead? They are what they are by nature. These people have chosen their path, and that's far more terrifying to me. I just hope I can live with the actions I choose to take. As you go forward... be careful you don't confuse honor for compassion. The former without the latter can be dangerous."

Korriban thinks on Callie's words. "Don't worry. I won't have honor without compassion. But, I won't forget to consider when that honor and compassion must end and I have to administer justice myself."

Teodor Niculescu wrote:
"Good work with the door, Korriban." Teodor smiles pleasantly throughout.

Korriban smiles and nods. "Thanks. I really have the hang of this."

Lantressa Darksong wrote:
"For what he's done did he need to die? Yes, I think he did. Should it have been one of us to do it after he surrendered? I don't know." She seemed thoughtful and concerned, "Do we really expect justice would be served? With everything that points to the Queen's involvement would he have been tried and convicted or would she have made sure any of the doctors we capture were freed to continue their work for her?"

Korriban says as he puts his tools away. "We can't expect her to do that. However, when this comes out, then the people won't really take this s**t. She's not going to be able to pacify them easily."

Callie Cobalt wrote:
She turns around. "Good point, Lantressa. I don't think Kroft herself is corrupt--a bit too stiff and by the book, but not corrupt--but the moment will be coming too soon when the Grey Maidens override the Guard's authority."

Korriban grimaces at that thought. "Yeah. And then this place will really go to s**t"

Korriban is shocked at the state of the room. He sees the pale man waving them off.

Knowledge (religion): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15

He scowls. "Teo's right! He's the f*****g vampire! Listen here, vampire! We didn't kill that rat, Rolth! But, I'm in the mood to kill a bat!" Korriban settles into his Crane Style and goes into a fighting defensive stance, sword at the ready in case the vampire attacks!


Male

Teo's Knowledge check:
This is a kind of vampire known as a nosferatu, also called the "eldest" among vampires! In addition to a vampire's normal attacks (a gaze that can dominate a victim's mind, blood drinking), nosferatu canclimb walls like spiders and transform into swarms of vermin. They are physically weaker than other vampires (which isn't saying much) but cunning and highly intelligent. They are resistant to cold, electric, and sonic damage. They do recoil from the odor of garlic, strongly presented holy symbols, and mirrors, but these do not harm the creature, and they might overcome their revulsion and still be able to attack the wielder. Like normal vampires, they are destroyed by sunlight.

They are very, very dangerous.

Well, I guess given all that...

COMBAT? Round one!

The vampire blinks in surprise, then incredulity as Callie unleashes her magic on him. The magic seems to have no effect at all on the creature, though it does crack one of the vials he's holding. Some sort of viscous fluid begins to ooze out, and the vampire sighs. "Now really, do you think that this is--oh, come on," he flinches slightly when Teodor pulls out his holy symbol, and rolls his eyes as Korriban settles into his fighting stance and Riceak draws his sword. "Is this--really now? This is how it's going to be? There's no need for this, and frankly I'm disappointed in you. How could I have known you were interested in the lad? I'm not a monster. Well, I am, but I'm a smart one. We can talk about this if you have interest in him. I assure you..." he drops the two vials, and you hear them shatter on the floor. Fast as lightning, he draws a wooden flask from a pocket and quaffs the contents. Before your eyes his skin tightens, his eyes bulge slightly, and a slightly manic grin appears on his face. "...this is a bad idea."

Party's up, though he's made no move to attack! Lantressa, you can take an extra action for the "surprise round" everyone else acted in.

Initiative
Nosferatu
Our heroes!

Combat Map I apologize; I don't have a token prepped for him and I'm on my phone. He should be in the square directly in line with the door, but on the far side of the operating table.

GM Screen:

Ramoska Init: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23
Korriban Init: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10
Callie Init: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22
Lantressa Init: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9
Teodor Init: 1d20 ⇒ 10
Riceak Init: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19
-------------
Fort Save: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (9) + 14 = 23


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

Teodor keeps his holy symbol pointed at the vampire. "NOT HERE, VERMIN! YOU PARASITES ARE UNWELCOME HERE. DESTROY IT, QUICKLY!"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
female | tiefling (pitborn) | sorcerer 8 |HP: 48/50 | AC:14 [17]; T:12; FF:13 [15]| CMB +4, CMD:16 | Fort:+6; Ref:+6; Will:+8 | Init:+2; Perc:+0 Volatile Conduit 1/1 | Beguiling Voice (dc 17) 3/8 | Fascinate (dc 20) 2/2 | Spells: lvl 1 7/8; lvl 2 4/7; lvl 3 3/6; lvl 4 3/4

Lantressa saw what they were facing and didn't like the looks of it at all. In fact when she heard him called a vampire she looked sharply at him and then simply cast a spell. She was still in a mood and still wanted to destroy things so she figured the undead things ugly face would do for now She said a few words with a gesture and shot twin beams of red energy at it.
scorching ray 1: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 164d6 ⇒ (3, 3, 1, 2) = 9
scorching ray 2: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 254d6 ⇒ (1, 5, 2, 2) = 10
confirm: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 254d6 ⇒ (2, 1, 5, 2) = 10

Pleased with the results of her first casting Lantressa made the same gestures and cast twin beams of searing heat at the thing again.

scorching ray 1: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 214d6 ⇒ (5, 5, 5, 4) = 19
scorching ray 2: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 84d6 ⇒ (6, 6, 1, 4) = 17

Didn't realize I got 2 beams per scorching ray now. How cool is that!


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban runs in and, keeping his stance, fights defensively, thrusting his rapier forward!

Attack (Fighting Defensively, Crane Style): 1d20 + 11 - 2 ⇒ (13) + 11 - 2 = 22
Damage (Inspire Courage): 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7

Current AC is 21 in total. My rapier is a +1 silver rapier.


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive I

Callie waves her hand in a spell, casting haste on the party.

+1 bonus to attack rolls, +1 attack when making a full attack, +30 feet to base speed, +1 dodge bonus to AC, to AC and Reflex saves

As she finishes her incantation she goes into an old battle chant.

"Rush rush, march the feet, go the warriors to defeat the evil foes of our land, fire in heart and sword in hand..."

Move action to Activate Inspire Courage, +2 to attack, damage, and saves vs charm and fear


Male

Ok, positioned people in the most logical places I could. Map's ready to go now! Thanks for your patience!

ROUND TWO!

Lantressa's rapidly-flung bolts of fire are the first things to actually make an impact on the vampire, three of them blasting into his chest and making him take a step backward as they scorch holes in his tunic. He tuts in irritation, and you can see the burns beginning to fade even as he drinks the strange liquid that causes him to change. Then Lantressa blasts him with another ray of fire, and he becomes visibly annoyed. "I see you there, pitborn. Stop that. It's irritating."

Korriban rushes forward and stabs at the vampire, but he just bats the blade away with his hand. As Callie casts her spell and Teodor keeps his holy symbol pointed at the creature (who seems to be ignoring it), the hasted Riceak dashes into the room. "I'm not a fan of undead like you," he growls. "C'mon, Korriban!" He swings his blade at the vampire's head...

Riceak Attack: 1d20 + 10 + 1 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 10 + 1 + 2 + 2 = 22

...but the sword just glides off the creature's skull, turned aside by some unnatural force.

"This is absurd," the vampire growls, apparently beginning to grow truly annoyed now. "How was I to know you wanted the lad? I have little hope that this experiment will yield new information anyway, I was just conducting it out of scientific thoroughness! We can come to an arrangement, here. You will regret continuing this assault. You don't want to force me to defend myself. Though there's little need to--you do realize I'm older than all of you put together, even the tiefling? Between my arcane defenses and my own ability, you'll barely scratch me." He chants a brief word and splays one hand each toward Korriban and Riceak. ETA: defensive casting. Brief discs of force flare to life between them, then vanish.

Spellcraft DC 16:
He cast shield.

Party's up!

Initiative
Vampire
Party!<-----

Combat Map

Vitals:

Ramoska Arkminos: HP: 101 | AC/T/FF: 37/16/34 | Fort +14 Ref +17 Will +15; +2 vs. poison, +4 vs. channeled energy | CMD: 21 | DR 5/piercing and wood | Immune: undead traits | Resist: cold 10, electricity 10, sonic 10

GM Screen:

Knowledge (Planes): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (12) + 12 = 24
Concentration Check DC 17: 1d20 + 14 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 14 + 4 = 23


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive I

"What we want is for you to never hurt or 'experiment' on any living being ever again. Can you agree to that?" Callie assumes the answer."No? Then there's no room for negotiation, sadly. Youthful fools though we may be." She feeds her commentary into her inspiring oration. Maintain performance, free action

Callie moves forward and lunges at him, her sword glowing with arcane light. Swift to activate Arcane Strike

Attack, haste, inspire courage: 1d20 + 10 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 10 + 1 + 2 = 33
Confirm Crit?: 1d20 + 10 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 10 + 1 + 2 = 30 Eek. Not a confirmation.

Damage, IC, Arcane Strike: 1d8 + 3 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 3 + 2 + 2 = 15

In spite of her bravado, she pales a little as she knows her form was absolutely perfect and she hit hard and well enough to cut a commoner's head clean off. She might have hurt the creature, but she sees it is nowhere near the damage her blow should have done.

Note that as long as Callie is adjacent and able to make an attack of opportunity, his DC for casting defensively is +4.

I'm assuming if the vampire can stand in the same square as the table, then so can I.

Also:
Spellcraft: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (10) + 12 = 22

"That defensive spell isn't going to help us hit him."


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

bluff: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (1) + 20 = 21touch: 1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 6 + 2 = 16int,wis,cha damage: 1d6 ⇒ 6

"You don't scare me!" Teodor says as he casts Touch of Idiocy on the vampire.


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban frowns as the vampire swats away his blade. "Hey! Stop it! Stop doing that!" He stabs at the vampire again!

Attack (Fighting Defensively, Crane Style, haste, Inspire Courage, flanking): 1d20 + 11 - 2 + 1 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 11 - 2 + 1 + 2 + 2 = 21 Yeah. That is nowhere near where I needed to be. That AC is terrifying.
Damage (haste, Inspire Courage): 1d6 + 4 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 4 + 1 + 2 = 10
Sneak Attack due to flanking: 2d6 ⇒ (2, 3) = 5

Current AC is 22 in total. My rapier is a +1 silver rapier.


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

I just now realized that haste doesn't affect the damage of my attack. Please remove the +1 from my damage roll.


female | tiefling (pitborn) | sorcerer 8 |HP: 48/50 | AC:14 [17]; T:12; FF:13 [15]| CMB +4, CMD:16 | Fort:+6; Ref:+6; Will:+8 | Init:+2; Perc:+0 Volatile Conduit 1/1 | Beguiling Voice (dc 17) 3/8 | Fascinate (dc 20) 2/2 | Spells: lvl 1 7/8; lvl 2 4/7; lvl 3 3/6; lvl 4 3/4

Lantressa wanted to throw another beam of energy at the vampire but found it was getting too crowded to easily hit him. Not only did she have to avoid her allies but she had to literally aim around them. Cursing she cast a different spell sending a volley of projectiles from her fingertips to slam into the the vampire unerringly. She cursed when she saw what happened though and yelled, "Damn it! Why'd they bounce!"

No spellcraft so I don't know what the spell was or what it prevented since it wasn't stated.


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive I

Callie sees Lantressa's magic missiles fly past. "He's got a shield spell up, that won't work!"


female | tiefling (pitborn) | sorcerer 8 |HP: 48/50 | AC:14 [17]; T:12; FF:13 [15]| CMB +4, CMD:16 | Fort:+6; Ref:+6; Will:+8 | Init:+2; Perc:+0 Volatile Conduit 1/1 | Beguiling Voice (dc 17) 3/8 | Fascinate (dc 20) 2/2 | Spells: lvl 1 7/8; lvl 2 4/7; lvl 3 3/6; lvl 4 3/4

Darting a glare at Callie Lantressa snapped back, "Oh now you tell me!"

Yeah, gotta stir the pot between our characters some more.


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive I

Callie was slowly realizing she was facing one of the toughest monsters she'd ever seen. Therefore, she really didn't have time to process, let alone discuss, Lantressa's embarrassment over her complete ignorance of basic concepts of spellcasting, let alone the deflected anger it produced. Callie had higher priorities, like saving Ruan and not dying, to think about.

FWIW, I had forgotten that shield negates magic missles as well as provides a bonus to AC, or I would have had Callie note this in her original comment. I apologize for my error.


Male

ROUND THREE!

Lantressa's bolts of force simply bounce (with loud *clongs*) off the vampire's shield spell. Callie's blade actually manages to knock the creature slightly off-kilter as she stabs over the unconscious Ruan, and he turns toward her with a glare. "Now see here. I am a scientist and--ARRRGH!" He lets out a howl as the hasted Teodor comes dashing around the table and tags him with a spell. The beast turns to him, raging. "WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?!" He bats away Korriban's rapier with a snarl as Riceak whirls his sword at him...

Riceak attack 1 (hasted, flanking, IC): 1d20 + 11 + 1 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 11 + 1 + 2 + 2 = 30
Riceak attack 2: 1d20 + 11 + 1 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 11 + 1 + 2 + 2 = 34
Riceak attack 3: 1d20 + 6 + 1 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 6 + 1 + 2 + 2 = 24

...but the blade is deflected each time by a burst of that force shield or the nosferatu's own limbs.

Still enraged, the vampire continues to rant: "WELL, BEFORE I WAS THINKING OF LETTING YOU GO AFTER A BIT! BUT NOOOOOOO, YOU HAD TO GO AND MAKE THIS PERSONAL! I HATE THAT BLOODY SPELL! AND NOW I CAN'T EVEN REMEMBER THE WORDS TO GET MYSELF OUT OF HERE, SO I GUESS WE'VE JUST GOT TO LEARN TO LIKE EACH OTHER'S COMPANY." He glares at Teodor. "For that, I'm going to ask you to be the first volunteer! Throw away your holy symbol and get a broom to clean up this mess!"

Teo Will Save DC 18: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15

Teodor, unfortunately, sets about to do exactly that...

Teodor is dominated by the nosferatu! The rest of the party is up...

ETA: I had forgotten about this, but just double-checked; the domination is a supernatural ability, so does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Initiative
Vampire
Teo (sweeps the floor)
Party<-------

Combat Map

Vitals:

Ramoska Arkminos: HP: 96 | AC/T/FF: 37/16/34 | Fort +14 Ref +17 Will +12; +2 vs. poison, +4 vs. channeled energy | CMD: 21 | DR 5/piercing and wood | Immune: undead traits | Resist: cold 10, electricity 10, sonic 10 | After penalty, scores are: INT 14, WIS 12, CHA 14


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive I

Upon seeing Teodor obediently sweep, Callie says several words she learned while working as a cutpurse on the streets that are very, very, very rude. She realizes they may need to beat a retreat quickly--if they can save Ruan first.

Her curses rhythmically work their way back to her war chant.

"March march, take them down, the heroes' blades shall save the town..."

Callie points at Korriban with her blade, gesturing dramatically. Korriban should feel more heroic.

Casting heroism. Korriban gets +2 to attack, damage, and saving throws. This is a morale bonus, which will not stack with her performance's +2 morale bonus to saves vs charm and fear, but WILL stack with the +2 bonus to attack and damage from Inspire Courage, as that is a competence bonus.

Also, Casting Defensively: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (10) + 14 = 24

She also begins untying/unbuckling/unstrapping Ruan.

Free to maintain performance, standard to cast, move to untie.


female | tiefling (pitborn) | sorcerer 8 |HP: 48/50 | AC:14 [17]; T:12; FF:13 [15]| CMB +4, CMD:16 | Fort:+6; Ref:+6; Will:+8 | Init:+2; Perc:+0 Volatile Conduit 1/1 | Beguiling Voice (dc 17) 3/8 | Fascinate (dc 20) 2/2 | Spells: lvl 1 7/8; lvl 2 4/7; lvl 3 3/6; lvl 4 3/4

Aggravated that she couldn't hit with the missiles Lantressa reverted to her original spell. She chanted and sent twin lances of red energy out at the vampire.

Scorching Ray 1 w/melee pen/haste/IC: 1d20 + 5 - 4 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 5 - 4 + 1 + 2 = 234d6 + 2 ⇒ (4, 6, 5, 5) + 2 = 22
Scorching Ray 2 w/melee pen/haste/IC: 1d20 + 5 - 4 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 5 - 4 + 1 + 2 = 54d6 + 2 ⇒ (4, 6, 5, 3) + 2 = 20

It's not a big deal to me personally Callie, I think it's honestly rather amusing. It happens.


Male

@Callie: Ruan's actually strapped down in a rather complex way...I'll describe it for you here, but it will take more than a move action to undo, I'm afraid.

When Callie looks for the bindings holding Ruan down, she discovers that the metal "straps" appear to be controlled by a series of levers: there are three sticking out of the table, all identical (one for each of the straps holding him to the table). Each lever sits in the middle slot of a twenty-slot array, which is labeled in Varisian: "up" to the left, and "down" to the right. When Callie briefly tests the weight of one lever, she discovers that the machine is both ancient and heavy.

All three levers are currently on slot 10 (of twenty). Moving a lever one slot in either direction is, sadly, a full-round action.


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban sees Teodor begin sweeping. "Teo! Now is not the time for sweeping!" He continues to stab at the vampire.

Attack (Fighting Defensively, Crane Style, haste, Inspire Courage, flanking, heroism): 1d20 + 11 - 2 + 1 + 2 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 11 - 2 + 1 + 2 + 2 + 2 = 18
Damage (Inspire Courage, heroism): 1d6 + 4 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 4 + 2 + 2 = 10
Sneak Attack due to flanking: 2d6 ⇒ (3, 4) = 7

Current AC is 22 in total. My rapier is a +1 silver rapier.

And it gets worse...


Male

ROUND FOUR!

Callie's chants reinforce Korriban's vigor, but it's not quite enough for him to connect with the vampire. Remember you do get another attack thanks to haste, though! I'm going to go ahead and roll that for you...

Korriban's 2nd Attack: 1d20 + 11 - 2 + 1 + 2 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 11 - 2 + 1 + 2 + 2 + 2 = 22

Callie's spell slips past the vampire's guard and he blinks in surprise. "Well cast, child!" Riceak whirls his blade again...

Riceak 1: 1d20 + 11 + 1 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 11 + 1 + 2 + 2 = 22
Riceak 2: 1d20 + 6 + 1 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 6 + 1 + 2 + 2 = 20
Riceak 3: 1d20 + 11 + 1 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 11 + 1 + 2 + 2 = 35

...and the vampire manages to catch the blade just before it lands on his head! "I respect all of your abilities. Truly, I do. However--STOP THAT!" He hisses in pain as one of Lantressa's rays blasts him yet again. "That is really annoying. All right, here's what's going to happen. You--" he stares into Riceak's eyes. "I want you to drop your sword, sit in the corner, and see how small you can make yourself."

Riceak's Will DC 18: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8

Riceak quails and drops his sword. The vampire nods curtly. "Well done. Now excuse me..." Ignoring Callie and Korriban, he pushes between the two dominated men and circles the room, moving toward Lantressa!

The party is up, and both Callie and Korriban can take attacks of opportunity against the vampire!

Initiative
Vampire
Teo and Riceak (sweeping and sitting)
Callie, Korriban, Lantressa<-----

Combat Map

Vitals:

Ramoska Arkminos: HP: 79 | AC/T/FF: 37/16/34 | Fort +14 Ref +17 Will +12; +2 vs. poison, +4 vs. channeled energy | CMD: 21 | DR 5/piercing and wood | Immune: undead traits | Resist: cold 10, electricity 10, sonic 10 | After penalty, scores are: INT 14, WIS 12, CHA 14


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive I

Korriban, you're hasted, so you get two attacks as long as you don't move. You should be able to roll again!

Callie rolls her eyes at the overly complicated contraption. "This is ridiculous."

Looking up from the machine, she sees the vampire move past her and takes out her frustration in a swing.

AOO, IC, Haste: 1d20 + 10 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 10 + 2 + 1 = 29

She grits her teeth, and goes back to focusing on Ruan. She steps over to another side of the table (5' step past Korriban), and casts cure light wounds on Ruan. "Ruan! Wake up!"

She ceases her chanting, but the rhythm echoes in the minds of those who heard it. Lingering performance will make the effects last two more rounds.


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban sees Riceak drop his weapon and sit down. "Riceak! Come on! What's wrong with you?!" Seeing the vampire go for Lantressa, he tries stabbing again!

Attack 1 (Fighting Defensively, Crane Style, haste, Inspire Courage, heroism): 1d20 + 11 - 2 + 1 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 11 - 2 + 1 + 2 + 2 = 32
Damage (Inspire Courage, heroism): 1d6 + 4 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 4 + 2 + 2 = 10

Crit Confirm (Fighting Defensively, Crane Style, haste, Inspire Courage, heroism): 1d20 + 11 - 2 + 1 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 11 - 2 + 1 + 2 + 2 = 16
Extra Damage if confirmed (Inspire Courage, heroism): 1d6 + 4 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 4 + 2 + 2 = 11

Attack 2 (Fighting Defensively, Crane Style, haste, Inspire Courage, heroism): 1d20 + 11 - 2 + 1 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 11 - 2 + 1 + 2 + 2 = 27
Damage (Inspire Courage, heroism): 1d6 + 4 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 4 + 2 + 2 = 12

Current AC is 22 in total. My rapier is a +1 silver rapier.

EDIT: I forgot my AoO.

AoO (Fighting Defensively, Crane Style, haste, Inspire Courage, heroism): 1d20 + 11 - 2 + 1 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 11 - 2 + 1 + 2 + 2 = 23
Damage (Inspire Courage, heroism): 1d6 + 4 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 4 + 2 + 2 = 9

3,751 to 3,800 of 5,161 << first < prev | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Dying City: DM Norv's "Curse of the Crimson Throne" All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.