The Dying City: DM Norv's "Curse of the Crimson Throne"

Game Master The Norv

The classic story of intrigue, magic, and strife in Korvosa, and of five figures caught in the balance of greater forces than they know.

Current Date: Starday, 10th of Lamashan, 4708

Current Map | Flex Time | Loot Tracker | Floorplan for the Rosa in Fiore

Harrow Points and Uses:

Current Harrow Points:
Callie: 3
Korriban: 2
Lantressa: 4
Matoska: 2
Teodor: 3

Flash of Insight: You can spend a Harrow point to attempt a skill check that normally requires training for a skill in which you have no ranks. You gain a one-time +5 bonus to that skill check.

Intelligence Rerolls: You can spend a Harrow point to reroll any one Intelligence-based check. You must abide by the new result, even if it's lower (but you can spend more Harrow points to reroll again if you want to).

Focused Thought: You can reattempt a Knowledge check that you have previously failed. On this attempt, you gain a +10 bonus on the check.


3,601 to 3,650 of 5,161 << first < prev | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | next > last >>

Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban grits his teeth at the calls for retreat. He then looks at his surroundings. Only two hale and hardy physicians are left. Rolth is standing on the grease, ready to send more spells out. He then looks at his friends. Most of them are bleeding and severely hurt. He thinks about it before growling. "Move back! Fall back!" He then moves back.

Using the withdraw action to move towards the elevator.

He comes up with a crazy idea. Using his thoughts, he tries to reach to Majenko. 'Majenko! Majenko! Can you hear me?!'


Male

ROUND TEN (cont'd)

Korriban, Riceak, and Teodor begin to flee for the elevator. (I'm assuming you want to withdraw, Riceak--if not, just place yourself where you want to be.) Korriban hauls open the door as the other two, just behind him, pile in.
Guys, remember you can move your own tokens! Otherwise I'm just guessing at exactly where you want to go! ;) Korriban calls out to Majenko in his mind, but the little pseudodragon must be too far away to respond...

The two Queen's Physicians seem almost surprised to see your group's retreat, but they quickly and silently turn back to their task. One, abandoned by his prey, sees Callie stab at his companion and lunges forward, striking her in the shoulder. Taking advantage of the distraction, the other circles around her...and strikes her a massive blow to the back of the head. Stars fill her vision and Callie sways on her feet.

This is insane. They dealt exactly 15 points of damage...which means, assuming Callie's stat line is correct, that she's staggered, at 2 hit points with 2 points of nonlethal damage. What do you do, Lantressa and Callie?! I remind you, though it won't buy you a ton, that you can withdraw as a standard action, since your actions are restricted...

Initiative
Korriban, Teodor, Riceak
Physicians
Lantressa, Callie<-----
Rolth Lamm

Combat Map

GM Screen:

Red attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23
Damage: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5
Yellow Attack: 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 5 + 2 = 21
Damage: 1d6 + 2 + 2d6 ⇒ (1) + 2 + (4, 3) = 10


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive

I think it's correct. It's possible I healed myself after a cure potion so technically the NL damage would be cured then, but I didn't change the statblock so I am assuming I tracked things correctly.

Callie bites back the pain (and nausea and dizziness and also the pain) and nods to Lantressa. "I'm fine. Go, and I'll be right behind you."

Bluff--she's totally fine!: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (12) + 10 = 22

Delaying my action until Lantress acts.


female | tiefling (pitborn) | sorcerer 8 |HP: 48/50 | AC:14 [17]; T:12; FF:13 [15]| CMB +4, CMD:16 | Fort:+6; Ref:+6; Will:+8 | Init:+2; Perc:+0 Volatile Conduit 1/1 | Beguiling Voice (dc 17) 3/8 | Fascinate (dc 20) 2/2 | Spells: lvl 1 7/8; lvl 2 4/7; lvl 3 3/6; lvl 4 3/4

Having been relatively unharmed so far in the fighting Lantressa wanted to try and by Callie a little bit of time and knew that he other woman needed some room to work with if she was to get out of there alive. She moved, not worrying about being struck, and got just through the doorway, before she stopped and said, "When we return I'll show you a time you'll never forget." She laced her words with magic and hoped to daze the guard with the veiled innuendo long enough for Callie to get through.

Yellow gets an AoO on me as I move away and then I use beguiling voice on red dc 17 will negates daze.


Male

One Physician turns to swipe at the fleeing Lantressa, but he missed by a mile--then the other turns to follow the sound of her voice, club hand going slack as he goes into a daze! Callie has an opening!!

GM Screen:

AoO: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10
Will DC 17: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive

Nice. Well done! So if I step toward the dazed dude first I can then withdraw safely. Can only go 30 ft but that's better than if I had to rely on Acrobatics!

Callie carefully withdraws toward the physician distracted by Lantressa and then safely steps back toward the door, as well as she can given her current circumstances.


Male

ROUND ELEVEN

Seizing the opening, Callie staggers away from the Physicians and over to the doorway. Behind her, Rolth screams. "NO! You'll not escape!" Seizing something from a pouch at his waist, he mumbles a few words and thrusts his hand at Callie's retreating back. The spectral hand hovering near him shoots forward, trailing spectral smoke, and lands in the middle of Callie's back. She feels herself go rigid for a second--but then, with a cry, she shakes it off!

Nice nat 20 on that save. :P Korriban, Teodor, and Riceak are up!

Initiative
Korriban, Teodor, Riceak
<-----
Physicians
Lantressa, Callie
Rolth Lamm

Combat Map

Vitals:

Physicians: HP: Yellow 22, Red 23 | AC/T/FF: 16/14/12 | Fort +4 Ref +6 Will +1; +2 vs. nauseating scents | CMD: 18 | evasion |
Rolth: HP: 91 temp: 13 | AC/T/FF: 21/13/19 | Fort +6 Ref +7 Will +7 | CMD: 16 | 4 INT penalty

GM Screen:

Touch attack: 1d20 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 3 + 2 = 16
Callie Fort DC 19: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban turns to look at Lantressa and Callie as they run to the elevator. He grips his rapier tightly. He waits to make his move.

Delay Action until Lantressa and Callie make their moves, in case they need any help.


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

Teodor holds as well.


Male Human (Varisian)
Quick Stats:
Init +6,Perc +2,AC23,T14,FF 21, HP 44/52, F +6, R +3, W +1, +1 trait bonus on saving throws made to resist diseases DR 2/-;Imm. Vorel's Phage & Blood Veil; Base Atk[/b] +5; CMB +8; CMD 20
Fighter (Armor Master)
Quick Skills:
Climb +9, Handle Animal +4, Intimidate +5, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) +9, Knowledge (History) +4, Knowledge (Local) +4, Linguistics(Vudrani) +2, Perception +2, Sense Motive +1, Survival +5,

I don't think the map is saving whenever I move my character. :(

Riceak drinks another potion, hoping it works better than the last one.

Potion of Cure Moderate wounds: 4d8 + 2 ⇒ (4, 7, 7, 4) + 2 = 24

The potion quickly mends his wounds and injuries.

"Ah this is a good potion here. Tastes just like a healing potion because its taste is a mixture of peppermint and citrus, although it smells like grapes and bananas."


Male

Rolled too many dice there, Riceak. You should heal 13 points of damage (first two d8 + 2), not 24. :P

ROUND ELEVEN (cont'd)

Korriban and Teodor wait, with bated breath, to see how Lantressa and Callie do. One of the Queen's Physicians still stands dazed and the other one, though he looks relieved that his foes are retreating, clearly feels some pressure to pursue with Rolth cursing him out behind him. He approaches cautiously and swings his club at Callie, but in a half-hearted way that doesn't really threaten anything at all.

Callie and Lantressa are up, followed by Teodor and Korriban!

Initiative
Riceak
Physicians
Lantressa, Callie, Korriban [delayed], Teodor [delayed]<-----
Rolth Lamm

Combat Map

Vitals:

Physicians: HP: Yellow 22, Red 23 | AC/T/FF: 16/14/12 | Fort +4 Ref +6 Will +1; +2 vs. nauseating scents | CMD: 18 | evasion |
Rolth: HP: 91 temp: 13 | AC/T/FF: 21/13/19 | Fort +6 Ref +7 Will +7 | CMD: 16 | 4 INT penalty

GM Screen:

Yellow Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6
Damage: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6


female | tiefling (pitborn) | sorcerer 8 |HP: 48/50 | AC:14 [17]; T:12; FF:13 [15]| CMB +4, CMD:16 | Fort:+6; Ref:+6; Will:+8 | Init:+2; Perc:+0 Volatile Conduit 1/1 | Beguiling Voice (dc 17) 3/8 | Fascinate (dc 20) 2/2 | Spells: lvl 1 7/8; lvl 2 4/7; lvl 3 3/6; lvl 4 3/4

Lantressa called out to Callie, "Go, I'm right behind you!"

Delay for Callie to withdraw to the elevator as I want a clear shot at the doctor attacking her.

Once Callie had safely withdrawn into the elevator Lantressa gave the nearest thug a vicious smile as she said, "I hope you enjoy enjoy your eternal suffering." She said a few words and gestured then pointed at the yellow bellied doctor sending a ray of searing heat at him before she quickly withdrew to the elevator.
scorching ray at red: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 234d6 ⇒ (3, 4, 3, 6) = 16


Male

It all hangs on Callie's escape!


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive

"I told you, I'm fine!" Callie snaps, face flushing red: she's deeply ashamed of herself and the circumstances she's helped urge the party into. She then as quickly realizes Lantressa is moving to do something and probably has a plan. She starts to move across the door jamb, but says to the sorceress, "No one gets left behind, do your thing and we go together."

Callie waits for Lantressa to cast her spell so they can run to the elevator, and Callie yells at Korriban, "What are you lollygagging about for, move!"

She's short of breath by the time she makes it on the brief trip to the elevator.


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban frowns at Callie as she yells at him. "Well, sorry for making sure you don't get swarmed! Just watching out for you." Seeing everyone on the elevator, he runs in, flipping off the physicians and Rolth as he does. He hits the button to go up!


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Just in case, I want to put this in. If everyone's not in the elevator yet, the Korriban will not hit the button.


Male

Botting Teodor on the assumption that he's joining y'all.

As Callie staggers back, Lantressa scorches the closer Physician, and the two women make it to the elevator. Korriban and Teodor leap in after them, and Korriban presses the button. The gate of the elevator slides shut with a thud, and it begins to rise rapidly as you hear Rolth Lamm howl in rage below. For the moment--as you catch your breath and stanch your bleeding wounds, lying about the elevator as it rises--you're safe.

COMBAT OVER!

You ride wordlessly for a few seconds, all recovering from your ordeal below the hospice. It's been a day long beyond belief, and some of you have only just survived it.

You wearily pile out of the elevator on the upper floor, only to hear a voice say wryly, "There's a secret elevator in here? ...of course there's a secret elevator in here." Looking up, you see Cristina Niculescu standing in the doorway to the elevator room, looking you all over with worried eyes.

"You look like crap," she says tartly, addressing Teo immediately but clearly intending it for all of you. "Come on out here, we can get you patched up."

Looking beyond (or following) Cristina, you see that the main sick ward of the hospice has taken on an entirely different tone from what it once had. A handful of marines are walking about in their black leather armor, issuing orders, distributing supplies, and standing guard. Gray-robed priests of Pharasma move among them--only three, although one of them is Bishop Keppira d'Bear, the high priestess (whom several of you recognize from the meeting of priests earlier in this adventure). Cristina walks straight over to a square-jawed blonde man who's standing over the body of Doctor Davaulus, frowning. "Commandant," she says, saluting, "This is the group I told you about." You realize that this must be Commandant Marcus Thalassinus Endrin, the leader of the Sable Company. He fixes you with a piercing gaze.

"It looks like this place holds even more secrets than Lieutenant Niculescu intimated," he says. "What are your names, and what have you found here?"


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive

When they leave the elevator, Callie makes sure to pull the button off the mechanism and pockets it.

She removes the physician's mask she was wearing before she addresses the Commandant.

"Callie Cobalt, and down there is a sea of Urgathoan Cultists desecrating the recently dead, some of whom are dressed as these physicians, led by a lightning bolt tossing Rolth Lamm," she points to the burn marks marring her cloak. And come to think of it, her flesh. "They're still down there, although if there's another exit to the complex down there, they may be evacuating if they're smart. I'd say we only got to the front rooms before we had to retreat. There's loads of them down there." She pauses with a smirk. "Though, fewer than there used to be."


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

As they go up the elevator, Korriban pants. "Oh... gods... that... was intense." When the elevator arrives and they see Cristina, Korriban smirks. "Well nice to see you, too. You look good." He follows Cristina, removing his physician's mask as well. He's surprised to see the marines and the priests. He's especially surprised to see d'Bear here. He smirks and addresses her. "Good to see you, Bishop. I'm guessing that things are becoming more serious for you to be here."

When he meets Endrin, Korriban smirks and jabs a thumb tom himself. "Korriban Balros. Nice to meet you. It's like Blue said. We got a whole bunch of cultists and fake doctors down there. Rolth's also down there. They're setting up crazy art and raising zombies. We haven't seen all of the rooms down there and we haven't seen their leader, Andaisin, is. One of the cultists told us that she was down there." He turns to his friends. "I know this is going to sound crazy, guys. But, with the back up we have and the possibility of recovering our health... I think we should attack again." He smiles. "What? It's not like they're going expect us to attack again so soon. And with the Sable Company, no less."


2 people marked this as a favorite.
M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

"Ah, yes, Lieutenant. Commandant, I am Teodor, a simple street priest looking out for the forgotten. The heroes here are Callie Cobalt, sharp of wit and blade; Lantressa, seductive sorceress of flame; Riceak, a ...uh, large, heavily armored man ... I don't know him all that well, come to think of it. Oh, and this is Korriban. Sweet kid."


Male

Endrin nods curtly. "Well met, all of you. And I appreciate your fire, young man, but I have to tell you that we're in no shape to be mounting a full-scale invasion of some crazy cult. These men and women here--" he sweeps his arm at the room, taking in all four of the marines besides himself and Cristina--"These are all the forces I could spare to come investigate the Lieutenant's report. And they'll be needed to defend the sick and dying here. This might not have occurred to you yet, but there are still Queen's Physicians on the streets who might return to this place and try to reclaim their headquarters. And these priests are nearly spent."

"Not quite all spent, Commandant," Bishop d'Bear says softly, approaching. "Although we have few resources left to combat this plague, wounds are another matter." She cups her silver-and-lapis holy symbol in her hands and a warm glow suddenly floods from the stone.

Everyone gets: 7d6 ⇒ (2, 3, 3, 4, 2, 5, 6) = 25 hit points back.

As the light fades, along with many of your most serious wounds, Endrin clears his throat. "Be that as it may...it sounds like we're at a standstill here. A siege, more or less. The good news is that I've seen enough evidence here--and especially with what Niculescu has reported--to believe what you say. And," he smirks slightly, "I do not answer to the Queen. Not directly, anyway. With Seneschal Kalepopolis missing, I'm a free agent...sort of."

He rubs a hand over his face with a chuckle. "Here's what I can offer you: stay here the night, rest, refresh yourselves. We'll stand watch. If, in the morning, you want to attempt the chamber below again, Niculescu can back you up while we guard these plague victims. It's the least we can do. Well, it's the most we can do." He chuckles wryly, again.

Anything else you'd like to discuss or do, tonight? Given that it will take a full night's rest to regain spells and so on--and that the contingent of Marines here isn't huge--I really would not recommend venturing back in tonight.


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17
Teodor Niculescu wrote:
"Oh, and this is Korriban. Sweet kid."

Korriban smiles. "Thank you, Teo. I am rather sweet. Like honey." He then holds up his rapier and smirks. "But, I have a sting like a wasp."

When Bishop d"Bear heals them, Korriban sighs in relief. He smiles at her. "Thank you so much." When Endrin brings up that the seneschal is missing, Korriban's eyebrow raises. "The seneschal's missing?" He racks his brain for information on Kalepopolis.

Knowledge (local): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (13) + 12 = 25
Knowledge (nobility): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13

When Endrin brings up his suggestion for a plan, Korriban frowns. "Well, that is a good plan. But, what if they escape? How will we be able to catch them? Unless..." He smirks. "Maybe those Physicians running around the streets would know where they would escape to." He then thinks. "Or maybe someone scouts out the situation down there?"


female | tiefling (pitborn) | sorcerer 8 |HP: 48/50 | AC:14 [17]; T:12; FF:13 [15]| CMB +4, CMD:16 | Fort:+6; Ref:+6; Will:+8 | Init:+2; Perc:+0 Volatile Conduit 1/1 | Beguiling Voice (dc 17) 3/8 | Fascinate (dc 20) 2/2 | Spells: lvl 1 7/8; lvl 2 4/7; lvl 3 3/6; lvl 4 3/4

Lantressa gave Commandant Marcus a curtsy as he met them and said, "Lantressa Darksong, I've been helping them as best I could. If some of us weren't already exhausted from dealing with that seahag and finding the evidence we needed we probably would have been able to take them here. Unfortunately that isn't the case."

It was then that Lantressa felt the cold power of the Lady of Graves flow over them and heal their wounds, not that she was in terrible shape to begin with, but it took care of her injuries and she smiled at the cleric and said, "My thanks, I'd be willing to repay you for the kindness if you like." Her voice held some innuendo but she was more teasing about it than anything.

She looked back to the commandant as he said they would stand watch tonight and stepped closer to him as she said, "My hero," she reached out to lay a hand flat against his chest and said suggestively, "I'd be delighted to repay for giving us a chance to rest, before or after I sleep, if you would like." This time the suggestive words weren't so much in just but far more serious as she made her offer to him.


Male

Korriban's Knowledge checks:
You've heard of Seneschal Kalepopolis; although you don't know much about how exactly the seneschal fits into the hierarchy of Korvosa's rulership, you know that he is in charge of Castle Korvosa itself, and is nominally the civilian commander of the Sable Company (unlike the Korvosan Guard, which answer directly to the monarch). Kalepopolis is well-liked, especially by the nobility, regarded as a trustworthy and competent steward of the city's treasury and a good adviser to King Eodred II. You heard rumors that he had gone missing back around the time of Eodred's death, but haven't heard as much about it since--either it's been hushed up, or people have just lost interest in the chaos of the riots followed by plague. Possibly both.

In response to Korriban's questions, Endrin nods. "You've not got a half-bad idea, Korriban--perhaps a member of the Physicians would be able to tell us more. In fact, we found one tied up here--your handiwork, I assume?" He points to one corner, where you see the Physician you interrogated earlier bound to a chair, just beginning to regain consciousness.

When Lantressa approaches him, Endrin looks surprised, then chuckles lightly and removes her hand gently from his chest. "Sorry, I'm working. And married. But if you want to 'repay' me...get some rest. Not sure what someone of your particular skills is doing raiding a secret cult, but if you can help then we'll need you come the morning."

Anything else you all want to do before calling it a night?

Also...you can all level up to level 7!


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban smirks as Endrin points out the tied up cultist. He sneaks up to the cultist.

Stealth: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13

He stands behind the cultist. As the physician comes to, Korriban smiles and says, "Well, hello~" He leans to look at the cultist in the eyes. "It's so good to see you, buddy. I have a couple of more questions for you about your creepy basement. Would you kindly answer my questions?"

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (1) + 14 = 15

Dang.


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive

Callie nods in thanks when she receives the healing.

"I think I've run out of mood to talk, which definitely means I should get some rest. There is one thing, though, Commandant... I'm very worried those down below have another way out besides this elevator. They know we know they're there and would likely try to regroup elsewhere if they can, even if we were forced to retreat temporarily. If you have anyone to spare to check sewer or drainpipe exits, that might save us a lot of trouble."

She starts to move away, then pauses. "Oh. And if any of you can figure out what these are, it would probably be a help to us all." Callie pulls out the four mystery potions they found in one of the rooms and puts them down on a nearby table.

Once done, Callie finds a corner, uses prestidigitation and mending to clean and fix her damaged clothing, and then curls up with her head on her haversack and using her cloak as a blanket. She knows there are beds but given all the plague about, feels safer this way.


Male

Endrin frowns. "I'll do my best to keep an eye out for any escaping Physicians, ma'am. On that, you have my word." He watches Callie retreat to her corner with a slightly worried look before turning to Cristina. "Run these back to our headquarters and get them identified. Anything else they need, too."

The Physician, slowly coming awake, glares at Korriban. "You again. I thought you were going to let me free. If I get out of here, I'll find a way to visit death upon you and all those you love!"


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive

Either before she beds down or when they awake, Callie will approach the bishop. "They did something to me down there and I still feel off. And cranky. I don't think I can shake it off on my own. Can you help? I'm willing to pay."


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban smirks. "Oh? If you get out? Well, from the looks of it, you're not going to get out for a long time. So, you best give up, make yourself useful, and answer my questions. The creepy basement... Is there a way that you guys can escape without the elevator or coming to this floor?"

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (17) + 14 = 31


Male

The Physician strains against his ropes for a second, then relaxes suddenly and sighs. A crooked smile crosses his face. "Why bother fighting? Hey, perhaps if I help you out you'll put in a good word with me at the Guard, eh? I don't know much about what goes on down there. Like I told you earlier...I'm not high enough in the pecking order to have been allowed past the first few rooms, where I was inducted. But I know this much: I've never seen nor heard of another way out of that basement. Every time I've been down there it's been through that elevator, and Davaulus and the other high-ranking members of the team always came and went through there. If there's a back way out, they've kept it a secret even from us."

Bishop d'Bear glances over at Callie as her hands deftly tend to a plague victim's sores. "You do seem rather ill at ease, girl. Yes...I can see that what those trapped doors did to you has thrown you for a loop. I'm afraid my magic is used up today, but I can pray that the Lady of Graves restore you tomorrow." She smiles faintly. "Given what you are doing for this city, there is no need to pay me--but the diamond dust used in that ritual is valuable, so I'm afraid you'll have to reimburse the Church for that much."

Basically, d'Bear will perform restoration for you guys just for the price of the material components--100 gp of diamond dust/cast.

GM Screen:

Just for fun, Callie Will DC 20: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive

Callie nods. "Of course, that's not an issue." Callie will pay the bishop the gold when she is ready to receive payment. In the meantime she sleeps.


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban looks at the man and tries to see if he's being honest.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24


Male

As far as Korriban can tell, the captured Physician is being completely truthful, hoping that you will help him out when he's being tried and sentenced later.

If there's nothing else that you guys want to do "tonight," I'll advance the clock in my next post to the next day and we can have the bishop provide her restoration, etc.


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban nods and says, "Thank you." He then goes to the others. "Our 'friend' has talked. He said that, despite he wasn't high up on the cult food chain, he has never heard of another way out of the creepy basement. Every time he went down there was on the elevator and that all of the high-ranking nuts always used the elevator. If there is some secret back way out, then it was a secret from the lower ranked guys." He jabs his thumb at the guy. "He has been compliant. I think that should make some sort of difference in his sentencing."

Diplomacy (if needed?): 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (11) + 14 = 25


Male

Let's get going again!

Endrin frowns. "Well, I'd think that it would make some sort of difference...but we still have a semblance of justice in Korvosa, the Queen aside. So we'll let the judge who hears his case know about his cooperation, and that's the best I can promise. If he's lucky, it won't be Zenderholm." The commandant glances around and shrugs. "Niculescu will be back with your potions, but I wouldn't wait up. We can keep a watch; you should all get some rest. We'll wake you if anything happens."

It's apparent that nothing does happen, though, because not a one of you wakes up until early the next morning. It feels strange to rise in the now mostly empty hospice, but the presence of the Sable Company brings you some degree of comfort. Cristina approaches as you're getting your gear on and checking in with each other. It looks like she probably slept here, too--albeit less than you all did.

"We had some of our best spellcrafters take a look at these," she says brusquely, pulling the four mystery potions from a bag. "Three of these are moderately powerful healing potions, fairly run-of-the-mill. They thought for a little while that the fourth was as well, but quickly discovered they were wrong. It was probably made improperly, they think--whether intentionally or not, we don't know. But it's a pretty deadly poison, so I for one would do something to make the bottles distinctive..."

They're three potions of cure moderate wounds and one cursed item, a potion of poison.

Bishop Keppira d'Bear has remained behind, and approaches Callie when she has a chance. Assuming Callie pays the 100 gp, as discussed. Bishop d'Bear takes a tiny pouch from a pocket in the sleeve of her robe, and pours a glittering stream of fine, silvery dust into the palm of her hand. "Lie down on the bed now, dear. That's the way." Humming quietly to herself, she anoints Callie's forehead and closed eyelids with the dust, tracing spiral shapes on each surface. "Lady of Graves, fearsome arbiter, hear my plea. Let this woman rise up as she once was; let her spirit bear up against the unnatural death that stalks this city; let the joys of her song ring forth once more to gladden the hearts of our people or to remind them of your awesome might. All creatures have their time, but hers is not now. Let her be whole once more." As she completes her prayer, the dust vanishes.

Bishop d'Bear casts restoration on Callie, and can cast it on anyone else who needs it. What will you guys do now? Head back down into the pit again?

GM Screen:

Callie: 1d100 ⇒ 58
Korriban: 1d100 ⇒ 74
Lantressa: 1d100 ⇒ 61
Teodor: 1d100 ⇒ 14


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive

Callie seems a bit more chipper. "Thank you, your holiness," she says to d'Bear. "I know there are many who need your ministries. I won't waste the energy you've returned to me." She hands d'Bear a pouch with the appropriate funds.

She turns to the rest of the group, while gathering her things. "Either the baddies downstairs have left through another exit, or they've had as much time to rest and regroup as we have. Either way, we need to get down there, deal with whatever is left, and see if we can find clues to the rest of their operations in the city. I have little hope for my friend at this point, or for any plague victims taken down there, but either way we need to free them... or their souls."


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

"This place Ends today. So sayeth the Lord."


female | tiefling (pitborn) | sorcerer 8 |HP: 48/50 | AC:14 [17]; T:12; FF:13 [15]| CMB +4, CMD:16 | Fort:+6; Ref:+6; Will:+8 | Init:+2; Perc:+0 Volatile Conduit 1/1 | Beguiling Voice (dc 17) 3/8 | Fascinate (dc 20) 2/2 | Spells: lvl 1 7/8; lvl 2 4/7; lvl 3 3/6; lvl 4 3/4

Lantressa slept well that night, well fairly well anyway, and awoke hungry and ready to get this over with. She waited semi-impatiently as everyone prepared, occasionally humming one tune or another, and rose from where she had been sitting when they were all ready. "Let's get this over with then, I want to destroy whatever they have left of their group and try to find a cure for this cursed plague."


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17
The Norv wrote:
Endrin frowns. "Well, I'd think that it would make some sort of difference...but we still have a semblance of justice in Korvosa, the Queen aside. So we'll let the judge who hears his case know about his cooperation, and that's the best I can promise. If he's lucky, it won't be Zenderholm." The commandant glances around and shrugs. "Niculescu will be back with your potions, but I wouldn't wait up. We can keep a watch; you should all get some rest. We'll wake you if anything happens."

Korriban nods at Endrin and get's ready for some rest.

Korriban sits in a corner, contemplating the day and the events that led up to this moment. He feels like he's at a crossroads and that he must decide a path in order to be more effective in defending Korvosa and her people. As he drifts off to sleep, he can't help but remember but the stories that his mother would tell him of his grandfather; particularly about how Andrezi Balros could fight off the fiercest of enemies with a dagger in one hand and his other arm at the ready to intercept his enemy's attacks. He often wore a smirk and taunted his enemy, swinging his arm like a crane moves it's legs. Korriban thinks on that before falling asleep.

I'm flavoring it so that Korriban begins to learn Crane Style from the memory of his adopted grandfather.

The Norv wrote:
It's apparent that nothing does happen, though, because not a one of you wakes up until early the next morning. It feels strange to rise in the now mostly empty hospice, but the presence of the Sable Company brings you some degree of comfort. Cristina approaches as you're getting your gear on and checking in with each other. It looks like she probably slept here, too--albeit less than you all did.

Korriban wakes up and gets ready, making sure all of his equipment is set. He scowls at the cursed silver dagger before tucking it away.

The Norv wrote:

"We had some of our best spellcrafters take a look at these," she says brusquely, pulling the four mystery potions from a bag. "Three of these are moderately powerful healing potions, fairly run-of-the-mill. They thought for a little while that the fourth was as well, but quickly discovered they were wrong. It was probably made improperly, they think--whether intentionally or not, we don't know. But it's a pretty deadly poison, so I for one would do something to make the bottles distinctive..."

They're three potions of cure moderate wounds and one cursed item, a potion of poison.

Korriban smirks. "So, we have more healing potions and a potion of poison. Could we possibly use that poison to our advantage?"

When the others suggest that they want to go downstairs, Korriban nods. "Yes. This will end. For Korvosa! For her people!"


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban will also switch out the boots from the Physician disguise to his magical boots.


Male

Once you're all prepared, all of you head back to the elevator. Cristina follows you as far as the door to the elevator. "I'll keep an eye on things up here," she says as you all get into the elevator. "I wish we could send a whole platoon down there with you, but at least we can keep an eye out up here and detain any Physicians who come wandering back from the field." She hesitates, then adds, "Remember, if you do find more of those madmen, that you can always fall back here if you need to. Abadar guide your path. ...especially you, Teo." She gives you all a salute, then stands back to let you shut the door.

The trip down the elevator shaft is once again dark, dank, and longer than seems possible. Each of you is lost in their own thoughts, preparing to face this vile cult once more. Finally, though, the lift grinds to a halt and you're able to push the doors open. You find yourselves once more in the antechamber with the carven doors...only now all the doors are shut.

As a reminder, the doors to the east (leading toward the last room you uncovered) were one of the trapped sets, along with the doors to the north. The southern doors dead-ended ina small guardroom.


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive

Callie removes the button from the elevator controls again and palms it to somewhere.

She casts detect magic to see if the traps look like they've been reset. I'm assume the presence of magic is enough to know if they've reset.

"If these are trapped again we'd best shelter in the south guard room while Korriban tries to disarm them."


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban grumbles through his Physician mask as he sees the doors are shut. "Great. Just f*****g great... Here we go again." He keeps an eye out for anything hiding or lurking around or for traps.

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29
Perception vs traps: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (20) + 12 = 32


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive

You know, I was gonna inspire competence on that, but I think you're good. :)


Male

Callie does detect magic on both of the doors once more, and Korriban's examination of the doors confirms it. Both doors' traps are reset. He also hears the faint sound of shuffling footsteps behind the doorway to the east.

Spellcraft DC 25:
Examining the traps more closely, it's clear that they're fueled in part by negative energy; if they were exposed to a large burst of positive energy (mechanically, 10 or more hit points' worth) without someone touching them, that might temporarily neutralize one of the traps and render it safe to pass.


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Yeah. A bit of overkill there.

Korriban frowns at the results of his examination. He turns to the others. "The traps on the doors are reset. And there's some faint shuffling footsteps behind the eastern doorway." He gives a hidden sarcastic smirk. "And we're off to a good start already."


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive

"See? I knew you could do it."

Once Korriban gives his report, Callie says quietly, "I could open the door and you toss in one of your flash bombs or something..."


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban scratches his chin. "Well, I do have a tar bomb, some alchemist's fire, and some smoke pellets. The pellets don't last as long as my smokestick did. Also, I left my flash powder on the floor... in the eastern room. I had to leave it behind in the dash for the elevator. I couldn't go back to pick it up. So I have no ideas whether the cultists found it or not."


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive

"Not lasting long is a good thing--it's good if they can't see while we move in on them. If bad if we can't see once we do."


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

"I'm staying put until Korriban disables those traps."

3,601 to 3,650 of 5,161 << first < prev | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Dying City: DM Norv's "Curse of the Crimson Throne" All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.