The Dying City: DM Norv's "Curse of the Crimson Throne"

Game Master The Norv

The classic story of intrigue, magic, and strife in Korvosa, and of five figures caught in the balance of greater forces than they know.

Current Date: Starday, 10th of Lamashan, 4708

Current Map | Flex Time | Loot Tracker | Floorplan for the Rosa in Fiore

Harrow Points and Uses:

Current Harrow Points:
Callie: 3
Korriban: 2
Lantressa: 4
Matoska: 2
Teodor: 3

Flash of Insight: You can spend a Harrow point to attempt a skill check that normally requires training for a skill in which you have no ranks. You gain a one-time +5 bonus to that skill check.

Intelligence Rerolls: You can spend a Harrow point to reroll any one Intelligence-based check. You must abide by the new result, even if it's lower (but you can spend more Harrow points to reroll again if you want to).

Focused Thought: You can reattempt a Knowledge check that you have previously failed. On this attempt, you gain a +10 bonus on the check.


5,151 to 5,161 of 5,161 << first < prev | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | next > last >>

Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban chimes in. "So, what did your... clients say about the Wound? What's it like over there? Just asking out of curiosity."


Male

Lantressa, don't forget your healing!: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

Korriban doesn't spot any traps or the like, even before he gets distracted asking about Lantressa's history.

"Enough of this!" Vencarlo snaps, uncharacteristically brusque. "Matoska's right - it sounds like she's going to start in on Neolandus again! Let's go!"

Unless anyone stops him, he pushes open the doors!

I'm going to move us forward, but feel free to add in any details or final buffs in response to this info! Callie knows that Upasanda Asuras have the following defenses: improved evasion; DR 10/good; immunity to curse effects, diseases, flanking, and poison; resistance 10 to acid and electricity; and Spell Resistance 20. Phew! You actually get bonus info for every 5 by which you beat the DC, so I'll also tell you that they have a number of spell-like abilities, including see invisibility, which can be cast at-will, and more limited abilities to cast haste, hold monster, and summon other asuras. Callie remembers that they might have more magical abilities, but can't recall the details. I gotta have some surprises. ;)

------------------------------------------

As Vencarlo pushes open the door, you see that this large room is lit by a heartily burning firepit in the room's center. Cages hang on chains dangling from hooks in the ceiling, while racks, strappados, gibbets, and other implements of torture fill the floor space. A set of immense wooden doors stands in the wall to the north, while to the south stand several narrow cells.

On the far side of the room stands a six-armed woman with three fanged faces on her head. She wears colorful robes, and her hands wield several weapons crafted in the Vudran style. The woman has just finished strapping a battered-looking man clad in rags to a stretching rack - he's the source of the sobs - but at the sound of your entrance she whirls to face you. "What! Disturbances in my hall, and just when I was to begin my work?! No matter - I shall teach you all the meaning of pain!" She begins to stride toward you, six arms twirling her weaponry with frightening ease!

COMBAT! ROUND ONE!

So, the bad news is she goes first....

As the asura whirls her blades, she opens all three of her mouths and an eerie, atonal song in a language none of you understand fills the air. A shimmering cloud of interweaving lights, in every hue of the rainbow, emerges from a spot in the air in front of Vencarlo and Matoska, and spreads outward into the hallway in which you stand. For most of you the lights are simply pretty colors, but Korriban's sword tip lowers as he stares, slack-jawed, at the pretty lights. The asura grimly takes up a fighting position on the far side of the fire, waiting for your assault!

Korriban is fascinated by the pretty lights! And the party is up!

Fascinated Description:
A fascinated creature is entranced by a supernatural or spell effect. The creature stands or sits quietly, taking no actions other than to pay attention to the fascinating effect, for as long as the effect lasts. It takes a –4 penalty on skill checks made as reactions, such as Perception checks. Any potential threat, such as a hostile creature approaching, allows the fascinated creature a new saving throw against the fascinating effect. Any obvious threat, such as someone drawing a weapon, casting a spell, or aiming a ranged weapon at the fascinated creature, automatically breaks the effect. A fascinated creature’s ally may shake it free of the spell as a standard action.

Init
Senshiir
Party!<-------
Vencarlo

Combat Map (The transparent spread is the burst of rainbow light, but those of you who saved against it - everyone but Korri - suffer no further effects.)

Vitals:

Senshiir: HP 114 (R 5/good) | AC/T/FF: 24/21/16 | F +12 R +11 W +16 | improved evasion | DR 10/good | Immune curse, flanking, poison, disease | Resist acid 10, electricity 10 | SR 20 | CMD 36 (38 grapple)

GM Screen:

Korriban Init: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22
Callie Init: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12
Lantressa Init: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15
Teodor Init: 1d20 ⇒ 9
Matoska Init: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17
Vencarlo Init: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16
Senshiir Init: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24
--------------------------
Matoska Will DC 18: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19
Korriban Will DC 18: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11
Callie Will DC 18: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22
Teodor Will DC 18: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (12) + 12 = 24
Lantressa Will DC 18: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23
Vencarlo Will DC 18: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23


female | tiefling (pitborn) | sorcerer 8 |HP: 48/50 | AC:14 [17]; T:12; FF:13 [15]| CMB +4, CMD:16 | Fort:+6; Ref:+6; Will:+8 | Init:+2; Perc:+0 Volatile Conduit 1/1 | Beguiling Voice (dc 17) 3/8 | Fascinate (dc 20) 2/2 | Spells: lvl 1 7/8; lvl 2 4/7; lvl 3 3/6; lvl 4 3/4

cure light: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8
Lantressa turned her gaze to Korriban when he asked his question and said, "As little as possible. When they were with me they didn't want to remember the horrors inside of it. It was bad enough just growing up nearby the cursed thing." She shuddered at the memories of the hideously cursed land beyond the ward stones, though whether in fear or something else was unclear. "Even at the best of times it was tense. You never knew when a demon might slip through or someone would simply snap under the strain. People like me were the ones who helped people like them forget their worries for a time." her expression darkened, "Not that those stupid inquisitors cared about that."
Ack! You posted while I was getting that typed up. Been bouncing between things and just thought to check again so i could add the HP that I rolled from the potion. Just realized you slipped one in on me.

As the fight suddenly began Lantressa saw the lights flood into the hallway and cursed in annoyance. She glared at the stupid fiend and chanted, gestured, and then a wave of magic surged from her to wash over the monstrosity and slow her reactions.
slow (dc 18) SR: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (5) + 11 = 16
Unfortunately she cursed when her magic simply rolled off of the fiend's natural resistance.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive

Callie wonders what effect might be on Korriban.

Spellcraft: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (11) + 12 = 23

Given the Norv's spoiler, I am assuming it's okay to read it even if he didn't provide a DC, with this pretty decent roll here. Happy to retcon if not the case. Korriban, I hope the following action is not objectionable to you, but we can also revise if need be.

She figures she probably just needs to give Korriban a good shock to snap him out of it, so reaches forward, grabs his ear, and twists hard. "Hop to, Balros!"

Then her sword flies into her hand and she begins another story, drawing from the book she recalls. "Hear the tale of two idiot brothers, Sanda and Upasanda, and how the mighty warriors were undone by pride."

Initiating Inspire Courage +2

She then steps to the side, by the other door, so as not to be so bunched up with everyone else.

Standard: Wake up Korriban, Free: Draw Sword, Move: Start performance, Other: 5' step


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

I'll wait to post my action so I can see if Callie's ear tug works and snaps me out of it.


Male

Totally fine to read that spoiler - it's just the generic description of the fascinated condition, no specific knowledge to that spell!

ROUND ONE (cont'd)

The asura laughs as Lantressa's spell slides harmlessly off her, and Korriban jerks out of his funk when Callie twists his ear.

Waiting on action from Korriban, Matoska, and Teodor!


Witchwolf (Shoanti) Brb1/Brawler8; 95/95hp Ini +3; AC24, T17, FF20; F +13, R +12, W +7

Rage, (2 rounds left today), then Martial Flexibility to gain Pummeling Charge as a Swift Action

Taking a split second to focus himself, Matoska hurls himself across the room, leaping up to strike at the many-faced creature.

Flurry of Blows, Charge +2, Rage +2, Inspire Courage +2; AC20 until next turn
Unarmed #1: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (14) + 17 = 31 Damage: 1d10 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 16
Unarmed #2: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (14) + 16 = 30 Damage: 1d10 + 10 ⇒ (4) + 10 = 14
Unarmed #3: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (11) + 12 = 23 Damage: 1d10 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 16
Unarmed #4: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (7) + 11 = 18 Damage: 1d10 + 10 ⇒ (2) + 10 = 12


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban stares at the lights that are in front of him. They are just... so... pretty...

Then he feels his ear being twisted by Callie. A sharp pain snaps him out of it. "Owowowowowowow! Stop it! Stop it, Blue! I'm awake! I'm awake!" He looks down and sees that he's in Crane Style. He must have settle into it on instinct without realizing it. "Huh. That's weird." He charges in and attacks the jailer while maintaing a defense.

Attack (fighting defensively, inspire courage, Crane Style): 1d20 + 12 - 2 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 12 - 2 + 2 = 13 If I'm still under the effect of haste, then the result is 14
Damage (inspire courage): 1d6 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 4 + 2 = 7

Actions:
Start of Combat: Due to Combat Style Master feat, I choose a style to start in. I choose Crane Style.
Move Action: Move 30 feet
Standard Action: Attack while fighting defensively

Current AC is 25/20/15. If I'm still under the effect of haste, then my Reflex save is +8 [+9 vs traps].


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

Teodor begins summoning an Eagle to flank with the younger boys and their fisticuffs.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive

Teo, Callie's roll was high enough to learn the monster is immune to flanking and reported that to the party. Not that summoning is necessarily a bad idea, but want to be sure you saw that.


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

Damn, forgot that. Honestly Teo doesn't have a lot he can do here, best buffs done. May just heal and heal and heal. Gonna keep the action because Teo would out of spite.

5,151 to 5,161 of 5,161 << first < prev | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Dying City: DM Norv's "Curse of the Crimson Throne" All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.