The Dying City: DM Norv's "Curse of the Crimson Throne"

Game Master The Norv

The classic story of intrigue, magic, and strife in Korvosa, and of five figures caught in the balance of greater forces than they know.

Current Date: Starday, 10th of Lamashan, 4708

Current Map | Flex Time | Loot Tracker | Floorplan for the Rosa in Fiore

Harrow Points and Uses:

Current Harrow Points:
Callie: 3
Korriban: 2
Lantressa: 4
Matoska: 2
Teodor: 3

Flash of Insight: You can spend a Harrow point to attempt a skill check that normally requires training for a skill in which you have no ranks. You gain a one-time +5 bonus to that skill check.

Intelligence Rerolls: You can spend a Harrow point to reroll any one Intelligence-based check. You must abide by the new result, even if it's lower (but you can spend more Harrow points to reroll again if you want to).

Focused Thought: You can reattempt a Knowledge check that you have previously failed. On this attempt, you gain a +10 bonus on the check.


3,701 to 3,750 of 5,161 << first < prev | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | next > last >>

Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive I feather step 90 minutes

While she's sure Korriban will see to picking the locks as needed, Callie looks around to see if there's a lever or keys that would open the cells.


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban looks at Kostin. "Don't worry. We'll get you out." He puts his rapier down and pulls out his masterwork thieves tools. "Just keep calm. Tell me about yourself, Kostin. What do you do for a living? Do you know anything about a man named Ruan who was kidnapped by Rolth?" He checks to see if the cell door is trapped to spring if he doesn't pick the lock right.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (17) + 15 = 32
Perception vs Traps: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (8) + 12 = 20


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

"Are you hurt? I am a healer, and we have more nearby."


Male

Callie doesn't see any keys lying around here--but it's of little matter, since Korriban has the locks open in a few minutes, and quickly moves around the room opening the other cells. Kostin staggers out, revealing that he's a gaunt man with shoulder-length dark hair.

"I'm--I'm unharmed, although I think it was only a matter of time," he says, looking about himself rather wildly. "You're really with the Korvosan Guard? Thank Desna! I was afraid we'd never get out of here. My gods, these doctors--they're the source of this plague! They kept talking about how they were going to 'refine' it, make it stronger...'eliminate the defects,' I think I heard one of them say, once! Please, is there any way we can get out of here?"

"Calm down, Vishki," a recently released woman snaps. She has a hard look, but she seems to have held up better than Kostin did. She turns to Korriban. "I'm Gianya. You said something about Ruan? There was a Ruan in here a few days ago--but he was taken. The doctors here all take orders, even Rolth, from two people: a high priestess who talks about death like it's some great gift--she's not around much--and a creepy, bald, pale-skinned man with rodent teeth. He was having a fight with Rolth and some of the doctors a few days ago, calling them amateurs and boors. He took Ruan to 'get the work done himself,' as he said. I don't know where they went, but I think they must be making this disease in a laboratory further that way." She points generally to the east. "That's where the woman and that bald man always come from, anyway."


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17
The Norv wrote:

Callie doesn't see any keys lying around here--but it's of little matter, since Korriban has the locks open in a few minutes, and quickly moves around the room opening the other cells. Kostin staggers out, revealing that he's a gaunt man with shoulder-length dark hair.

"I'm--I'm unharmed, although I think it was only a matter of time," he says, looking about himself rather wildly. "You're really with the Korvosan Guard? Thank Desna! I was afraid we'd never get out of here. My gods, these doctors--they're the source of this plague! They kept talking about how they were going to 'refine' it, make it stronger...'eliminate the defects,' I think I heard one of them say, once! Please, is there any way we can get out of here?"

Korriban nods. "Yep. We're with the Guard. Just keep calm and we'll get you out of here. We did figure out that they were behind the plague. They're priests of the Pallid Princess. And if they are trying to make this thing stronger, then we need to stop them now!" He looks at all of the prisoners. "There is a way out. We'll get you there."

The Norv wrote:
"Calm down, Vishki," a recently released woman snaps. She has a hard look, but she seems to have held up better than Kostin did. She turns to Korriban. "I'm Gianya. You said something about Ruan? There was a Ruan in here a few days ago--but he was taken. The doctors here all take orders, even Rolth, from two people: a high priestess who talks about death like it's some great gift--she's not around much--and a creepy, bald, pale-skinned man with rodent teeth. He was having a fight with Rolth and some of the doctors a few days ago, calling them amateurs and boors. He took Ruan to 'get the work done himself,' as he said. I don't know where they went, but I think they must be making this disease in a laboratory further that way." She points generally to the east. "That's where the woman and that bald man always come from, anyway."

Korriban looks at Gianya. "So, Ruan was here, but was taken away by the cultists. That's not good. As for the high priestess, that sounds like Andaisin. As for the creepy bald guy, he doesn't seem familiar. Do you know anything about him? Anything odd?" He racks his brain for any information about this creepy bald, pale-skinned man with the rodent teeth.

Knowledge (history): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20
Knowledge (local): 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (19) + 13 = 32
Knowledge (nobility): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8
Knowledge (religion): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13


Male

"I don't know anything more about him," Gianya says, shuddering slightly, "except that he seemed...wrong, somehow. Creepy, you know?"

Although Korriban doesn't know much of anything about them, the description does jog a memory...days, almost a week, ago, when he and some of the group (as well as some allies who have since departed) went to investigate a spot called Racker's Alley and found some strange, pale-skinned undead with sharp fangs. Could this man be related to them somehow?


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban's eyes widen as he makes a connection. He looks at the others.

If Callie's message spell is still in effect...

Korriban whispers, "Guys. That pale bald guy that Gianya told us about. I think... that he might be a vampire. Those vampires at Racker's Alley by the toy store. They looked similar to how this guy is described as. Please don't tell the civilians. I don't want to panic them."

If Callie's message spell is no longer in effect...

Korriban gathers his friends into a huddle and whispers, "Guys. That pale bald guy that Gianya told us about. I think... that he might be a vampire. Those vampires at Racker's Alley by the toy store. They looked similar to how this guy is described as. Please don't tell the civilians. I don't want to panic them."


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive I feather step 90 minutes

We have message for 70 minutes so you're good

"We should let the Pharasmans know, though. They may know best how to defeat them," Callie responds through the spell.

She approaches the group of ex-prisoners. "Best to get you upstairs, I think. Do you need any healing?"


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban subtly nods at Callie as she shares her advice through the spell.


Male

The prisoners all shake their heads. "I'm well, and I don't think anyone is injured--though we've had no food in some time," Gianya says. "Please, if you know a way out of here, let us leave!"

Back upstairs to drop off the prisoners and consult with the clergy?


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

I think that's the best option right now.


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive I feather step 90 minutes

"Sadly I gave up my spare food to the first poor sods we ran into yesterday. In fact I could use some breakfast myself by now. But let's get you upstairs."

Callie can escort them again and then they can get back to exploring.


Male

Since there don't appear to be any foes here, you take your time escorting the freed prisoners back up to the ground level of the warehouse. The Pharasmins receive them warmly, and send a runner to get food for the newcomers. Some of the freed prisoners seem anxious to get on their way--not wanting to spend more time than necessary in the building--but the priests insist that all of them stay until they've at least been given a clean bill of health.

When you have all the information that you need, you head back down. Nothing seems changed--the doors at the end of the grotesque mural room remain shut, and you've investigated everywhere else.

Where to next?

What the priests can tell you about vampires, if asked:

Knowledge (Religion): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (10) + 9 = 19
Vampires are powerful and immensely dangerous intelligent undead, blood-drinkers who stalk the night seeking to slake their eternal thirst and create more of their kind. The creature described could be a vampire; they do have pale skin and sharp teeth. Vampires cannot tolerate the odor of garlic, or strongly presented mirrors and holy symbols; they recoil violently from such objects. They cannot enter a private building without invitation. To kill a vampire, you must expose it to sunlight, immerse it in running water, or drive a stake through its heart and then cut off the head and anoint it with holy water.


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban helps escort the prisoners to the surface. While on the surface, he asks the priests for information about vampires. The rogue frowns. "Well, this is going to be fun. Seems like Teodor's holy symbol will be our primary defense if we come across this guy."

When they go back downstairs, he turns to the others. "Okay. Where to now?"


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive I feather step 90 minutes

I'd really rather not say we "took our time" -- my sense was to really just drop them off and get moving again. The longer we wait, the more likely Ruan's dead and other bad things have happened.

"There's only one way to go, Korriban--through the doors into that lab Rolth was in. I can understand your hesitation of not opening those doors, but we need to get going. Are they locked?"

If they are not locked, Callie opens them, one hand hovering near her sword hilt. If they are locked, she waits for Korriban to do his thing.


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban sighs. "I thought there was somewhere to look first. I'm really nervous about going in there. There's a necromancer that's pissed off at me and Teo. All of the undead isn't a plus either. They really freak me out. Dead things are supposed to stay dead. Not walk around like they're going for a midday stroll." He checks the doors (and for any signs of movement on the other side) before Callie opens them.

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (17) + 10 = 27
Perception vs traps: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (14) + 12 = 26


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive I feather step 90 minutes

"Here's your choice, Korriban: we go through these doors, or we give up on Korvosa. What'll it be?"


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban snorts. "Did I say that I wanted to give up? Just because I'm nervous, doesn't mean I'm going to run."


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive I feather step 90 minutes

Callie opens her mouth, then pauses. "I'm sorry. I guess I'm frustrated with all the delays we keep hitting. All the misdirects. I'm not nervous. I'm terrified. I'm terrified for Ruan and Lamm's victims. I'm terrified for the city. I'm terrified all of us will end up twisted undead pieces 'artwork' nailed to an Urgathoan's wall. I'm terrified we ragtag freelancers are the last people able to do something about this. If I'm snappish and mean... it's because I cannot stop thinking about what happens if we fail. It doesn't mean it's okay for me to snap, and I'm sorry. But I... well, you are not the only one overwhelmed by all this. If we make no further headway than this..." her face softens, then looks like it's about to crumple in on itself, and she finishes barely above a whisper... "I don't know what I'll do."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban listens to Callie as she shares her thoughts and feelings. He says, "Hey. Listen. Truth be told, I'm scared as all hell too. It's not just that I'm scared of zombies, skeletons, and vampires. Though, that doesn't make things any better. I'm scare of this stuff too. Urgathoa, the blood veil, the f****d up art. This is all scary to me. I'm not a mage nor am I of a more holy path. So this is all scary because I don't understand. I get some things about religion. But I'm more used to brothels and vengeance. Not this stuff." His face also softens. "All of this s**t going on in the city, it's terrifying. People are going nuts. People are dying. The Queen has released a plague with the aid of some cultists that she hired as doctors. If feels like Korvosa is reaching a boiling point. And we may be the only ones who can help."

His face becomes more serious. "However, if that's the case, then we better make one hell of a difference. These a******s are doing this. And we will stop them. I don't want to think about what will happen if we fail. If I fall, then I'm taking as many of them with me as possible." His grip on his rapier tightens and his hand shakes. "I just wish I could do more."


Male

Yay roleplaying! And I apologize for the "taking your time" comment--I didn't really mean TIME, just that you divert to drop them off before pressing on. Now, that said...

The double doors are not locked, and Korriban finds no sign of traps (though he can dimly hear the murmur of voices). Taking a step back, he lets Riceak step up to the door when Callie prepares to pull it open.

Callie drags the doors open to reveal a scene not unlike what you saw yesterday: the fire in one of the vats of bile has been put out, and some scars remain on the floor and walls from your battle, but the catwalks still stretch through the room and the vats still bubble in a noisome way. Rolth Lamm stands on the near catwalk, speaking to a robed and scythe-wielding priest. When he hears the doors open, though, he turns.

"Ah," he says with a grim smile, "Back for more, eh?"

COMBAT! Round one!

As the Physicians prepare to meet your onslaught, the battle begins!

But you (mostly) win initiative!

Initiative
Riceak, Callie, Korriban, Teodor<----
Foes
Lantressa

Combat Map

Vitals:

Physicians: HP: 23 each | AC/T/FF: 16/14/12 | Fort +4 Ref +6 Will +1 (+4 vs. scents) | CMD: 18 | evasion
Cultists: HP: 26 each | AC/T/FF: 19/12/19 | Fort +7 Ref +1 Will +6 | CMD: 15
Rolth HP: 94 | AC/T/FF: 21/13/19 | Fort +6 Ref +7 Will +7 | CMD: 16

[spoiler=GM Screen]
Korriban Init: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17
Callie Init: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17
Lantressa Init: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12
Teodor Init: 1d20 ⇒ 19
Riceak Init: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24
Physicians Init: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25
Cultists Init: 1d20 ⇒ 16
Rolth Init: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive I feather step 90 minutes

Callie steps into the room (5 foot step) and begins to speak rhythmically. "Heed the tale of the Heroes of Browning's Alley, where the fool cult of White Wilma was cut down in their prime, burned to death by the holy hero Adilvas..."

She initiates a tale to Inspire Courage to her allies, but she has learned how to more efficiently use her bardic arts (now a move action, woot) and so finishes the opening of her tale with an incantation of a spell: blistering invective.

Intimidate to demoralize: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (4) + 13 = 17

The way this spell works is all foes within 30 feet are subject to Callie's demoralize attempt. Those who are demoralized additionally take 1d10 fire damage and attempt a DC 15 Reflex save, or they catch fire. To be clear, the 1d10 damage happens either way, the save is to avoid continuing to burn. ETA of course with that roll it may not have done much.

She then draws her sword. (free action)

Meanwhile, due to the Inspire Courage, allies get +2 to attack, damage, and saves vs charm and fear.


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

"Rolthy! It has been far too long. The Void sends greetings!" Teodor summons a Celestial Wolf From Beyond! It appears next to Rolth and attacks!

Teodor bluff: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (6) + 20 = 26
wolf attack: 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 4 + 2 = 25smite damage: 1d6 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 4 + 2 = 8


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

oh yeah, trip: 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 4 + 2 = 20


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban smirks at Rolth. "That's right! Time for round 2!" He charges in, stopping at the stairs and settling into his grandfather's combat style.

Round 1 Actions
Move Action: Move 40 feet
Swift Action: Go into Crane Style
Standard Action: Ready action to fight defensively against the first enemy to engage in combat

Readied Attack (fighting defensively, Crane Style, Inspire Courage): 1d20 + 11 - 2 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 11 - 2 + 2 = 25
Damage (Inspire Courage): 1d6 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 4 + 2 = 9

Current AC is 21 in total.

I'm unable to move my token at the moment. I'm moving my full 40 feet north and up the stairs. I should be in the square directly to the right of the stairs.


female | tiefling (pitborn) | sorcerer 8 |HP: 48/50 | AC:14 [17]; T:12; FF:13 [15]| CMB +4, CMD:16 | Fort:+6; Ref:+6; Will:+8 | Init:+2; Perc:+0 Volatile Conduit 1/1 | Beguiling Voice (dc 17) 3/8 | Fascinate (dc 20) 2/2 | Spells: lvl 1 7/8; lvl 2 4/7; lvl 3 3/6; lvl 4 3/4

With the prisoners freed and begging for food Lantressa gave them her rations. She didn't need them now and the way things were going she either wouldn't need them at all or she would be able to get more. They escorted the former captives back to the priests and she stood around and listened to what the priests had to say about vampires. She was ready to go and destroy more of these things, her thirst for destruction after yesterday's rather unpleasant fight not slaked, and she listened as Callie and Korriban had their little spat. finally she rolled her eyes and said, "Fear is all well and good but remember it could be worse. I grew up in Kenabres where the threat of demons was very real. The undead are not so frightening in comparison as they mostly just want you dead. The demons want to keep you alive to torture and play with as long as possible." She gave the two a rather amused smile, "I'll take the relatively quick death thank you."

Once they returned down below and found themselves face to face with the opening of the fight commencing she grinned viciously and chanted calling a bead of red light into existence above her palm, shaped by her gestures. When it was finished she sent it flying into the room to explode right before the central man on the catwalks and enveloping them all in a great ball of flames.
fireball ref 18: 7d6 ⇒ (1, 5, 4, 4, 5, 4, 3) = 26


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive I feather step 90 minutes

Prior to the door opening

"What I fear most is for Korvosa--and I think Korriban agrees," Callie replies to Lantressa. "No matter what type of creatures threaten it. And I'm not sure if you've noticed all of the gore and disease and pain we just encountered, but the Urgathoans are torturing innocent people in a way I'm sure demons would appreciate. And turning a soul into a state of undeath is torture too. This isn't about what you or me, Lantressa, or what we've been through: this is about protecting the souls of every body in this city."


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Prior to opening the door

Korriban looks at Lantressa. He says, "Well, I didn't think about that. But, then again, at this point in my life, I have more experience with the undead than demons. So, I have no idea what life is like in Kenabres. But no matter the threat, be it demon, undead, or the B***h Queen herself, we will stop evil where it stands!"


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive I feather step 90 minutes
Korriban Balros wrote:

Prior to opening the door

Korriban looks at Lantressa. He says, "Well, I didn't think about that. But, then again, at this point in my life, I have more experience with the undead than demons. So, I have no idea what life is like in Kenabres. But no matter the threat, be it demon, undead, or the B***h Queen herself, we will stop evil where it stands!"

Callie grins. "Huzzah to that!"


Male

Sorry for the delay, all. Lots of NPCs to cover here...

ROUND ONE (cont'd)

Callie steps forward and begins an impressive oration, weaving into an intimidation so fierce that most of your foes flinch and cower--and then the room erupts with the scent of smoke as the tightly clustered Physicians and the two cultists all catch on fire! I invite you to peek behind the screen to enjoy the fact that they all failed their Reflex saves.

Teodor begins to summon a creature from the void, while Korriban makes a beeline for Rolth and the cultists on the catwalk. Riceak (botting) steps forward to stand side-by-side with Callie, readying his blade.

One of the cultists and a pair of the Physicians manage to bat out the flames before they spread too far, but the remaining cultist and two Physicians drop to the ground, rolling around in a frantic (and, sadly, successful) effort to put out the flames. They stagger back to their feet as the two less-injured Physicians hurry forward, settling into a defensive crouch just inside the door. One takes cover from the door frame and swings his club at Riceak, but the Varisian man deflects it easily and swings back in turn, blade and wood rattling in their exchange. Up on the catwalks, the two cultists not rolling on the ground glance at each other and lift their scythes in unison, chanting, "ALL HAIL TO URGATHOA! LET US REAP YOUR FOES, OH PALE LADY." They both dip their scythes into the vats in front of them as a sickly, pale light envelopes them.

Rolth, for his part, just laughs at Callie's attempt at intimidation. "Have to do better than that, I'm afraid--especially now that I'm not blinded by rage and only driven by it!" He snickers mirthlessly. "Begone, boy!" Pointing at Korriban, he says a dark word and bolt of black energy flies from his fingers toward the rogue. Korriban dodges the bolt and Rolth's nostrils flare before he lets out a terrible oath.

He doesn't have much time to rage, though, as Lantressa's fireball explodes directly above him! The vats erupt in flame, clogging the upper layers of the room with smoke, as the fireball sends both of the cultists next to him hurtling from the catwalks to lie in crumpled, unmoving heaps on the ground. One of the Physicians below collapses as well, though the other two manage to dodge the blast. The remaining cultist staggers beneath its fury, reeling.

As we come back to the top of the order, Teo's spell completes, and I'm assuming he uses an action to tell it to attack Rolth.

As Rolth shrieks in pain, a glowing, angry wolf...thing...appears next to him and, at a word from Teodor, lunges at the man's leg, seizing him and worrying him to the ground!

Callie, Korriban, Teodor (with a standard action left), and Riceak are up! That was...quite an opening salvo!

Initiative
Riceak, Callie, Korriban, Teodor<----
Foes
Lantressa

Combat Map

Vitals:

Physicians: HP: 15 blue; 18 each yellow/green | AC/T/FF: 16/14/12 | Fort +4 Ref +6 Will +1 (+4 vs. scents) | CMD: 18 | evasion | DEMORALIZED IN RD. 1
Cultists: HP: 0 red | AC/T/FF: 19/12/19 | Fort +7 Ref +1 Will +6 | CMD: 15 | blue and green DEMORALIZED IN RD 1
Rolth HP: 60 | AC/T/FF: 21/13/19 | Fort +6 Ref +7 Will +7 | CMD: 16

GM Screen:

Phys Red Ref DC 15: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11
Phys Blue Ref DC 15: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14
Phys Yellow Ref DC 15: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10
Phys Green Ref DC 15: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11
Cult Blue Ref DC 15: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12
Cult GreenRef DC 15: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10
Damage: 1d10 ⇒ 5
-------------------
Phys Red Ref DC 15: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9
Phys Blue Ref DC 15: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11
Phys Yellow Ref DC 15: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20
Phys Green Ref DC 15: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21
Cult Blue Ref DC 15: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9
Cult GreenRef DC 15: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18
Damage for failure: 1d6 ⇒ 3
------------------
Phys Red Ref DC 15: 1d20 + 6 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 6 + 4 = 17
Phys Blue Ref DC 15: 1d20 + 6 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 6 + 4 = 25
Cult Blue Ref DC 15: 1d20 + 1 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 1 + 4 = 25
------------------
Yellow Club: 1d20 + 5 - 2 ⇒ (4) + 5 - 2 = 7
Riceak: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 16
Rolth Touch vs. Korri: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11
------------------
Phys Red Ref DC 18: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12
Phys Blue Ref DC 18: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26
Phys Green Ref DC 18: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22
Cult Blue Ref DC 18: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10
Cult Green Ref DC 18: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6
Cult Red Ref DC 18: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15
Rolth Ref DC 18: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive I feather step 90 minutes

Seeing all the smoke go up, Callie is glad she put on the plague mask. "Nice accent to the tale," Callie comments to Lantressa with a smile (sadly concealed by the mask), and then she goes back to telling the story of the heroes who are now chasing White Wilma to her lair. free action to maintain inspire courage

She steps forward and swings at the green cultist; she'd love to join Korriban in pursuit of Rolth but she doesn't want to let them get to the spellcasters. Her blade glows with blue arcane light as she swings.

Swift action to activate Arcane Strike
Attack Green Physician, Inspire Courage: 1d20 + 10 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 10 + 2 = 21
Damage, Inspire Courage, Arcane Strike: 1d8 + 3 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 3 + 2 + 2 = 8


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

bluff: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (9) + 20 = 29"Surrender now and you'll get a proper Urugothan burial."


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban smirks as he dodges the black bolt cast by Rolth. However, he sees the cultists and the physicians get set on fire and blown away. Korriban blinks a few times before turning to Lantressa and Callie. He smiles and shouts, "Great work, girls!" He turns back to his target and continues to move towards Rolth. Smiling nervously at the wolf, Korriban asks, "May I join in?" Looking at Rolth, the young duelist smirks and says, "You know. I didn't really kill your father. I just stabbed his corpse a lot. But, this will make up for missing out on the opportunity." He stabs at Rolth!

Attack vs AC 17 (Fighting Defensively, Crane Style, Inspire Courage, Flanking, opponent is prone): 1d20 + 11 - 2 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 11 - 2 + 2 + 2 = 31
Damage: 1d6 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 4 + 2 = 7
Sneak Attack due to flanking with summoned wolf: 2d6 ⇒ (5, 5) = 10

Crit Confirm (Fighting Defensively, Crane Style, Inspire Courage, Flanking, opponent is prone): 1d20 + 11 - 2 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 11 - 2 + 2 + 2 = 27
Damage: 1d6 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 4 + 2 = 7


Male

ROUND TWO!

Callie's glowing blade slashes through the Physician's coat, drawing blood, while Riceak (botting) steps up next to her and follows her blow a brutal stab of his own that skewers the man. He pulls his blade free and delivers a glancing blow to the Physician beside him!

Meanwhile, on the catwalks, Korriban makes his way over the flaming vials of noxious slime and...stabs Rolth through the side! The necromancer howls in rage and pain!

The Physicians seem to hesitate for a moment when Teodor calls out his offer, but the staggering cultist at the back of the room roars, "You fools! You'll be dead either way, and none will give you the glory of unlife! You'll go to the Frigid Tyrant with no recourse! Kill them!!" Muttering something, he places a hand on his side, and the worst of his burn melts away. The two Physicians hurl themselves at Riceak, but neither manages to connect.

Up on the catwalks, Rolth, desperate, screams a word and (before Korriban or the wolf have time to react) lashes out at Korriban with a knife. He makes contact with the flat of his blade, and Korriban feels something strange happen deep in his body--but he manages to shake it off!

Things are not going well for poor Rolthy. Lantressa's up, then the rest of the party again!

Initiative
Riceak, Callie, Korriban, Teodor
Foes
Lantressa<------

Combat Map

Vitals:

Physicians: HP: 15 blue; 11 yellow | AC/T/FF: 16/14/12 | Fort +4 Ref +6 Will +1 (+4 vs. scents) | CMD: 18 | evasion
Cultists: HP: 9 red | AC/T/FF: 19/12/19 | Fort +7 Ref +1 Will +6 | CMD: 15 |
Rolth HP: 36 | AC/T/FF: 21/13/19 | Fort +6 Ref +7 Will +7 | CMD: 16

GM Screen:

Riceak 1: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (20) + 11 = 31
Damage: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8
Riceak 2: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23
Damage: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9
Crit??: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (14) + 11 = 25
Bonus: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7
------------
Cultist CMW: 2d8 + 3 ⇒ (5, 1) + 3 = 9
Phys Blue Aid: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9
Phys Yellow Feint, DC 16: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8
------------
Rolth Concentration DC 17: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (5) + 13 = 18
Rolth Touch: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17
Korriban Fort DC 16: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18


female | tiefling (pitborn) | sorcerer 8 |HP: 48/50 | AC:14 [17]; T:12; FF:13 [15]| CMB +4, CMD:16 | Fort:+6; Ref:+6; Will:+8 | Init:+2; Perc:+0 Volatile Conduit 1/1 | Beguiling Voice (dc 17) 3/8 | Fascinate (dc 20) 2/2 | Spells: lvl 1 7/8; lvl 2 4/7; lvl 3 3/6; lvl 4 3/4

Stepping closer so she could see Lantressa blew a kiss at the thug in blue with a flirty giggle, her magic wound into it to try and daze the bastard's mind.
Beguiling Voice dc 17 will negates daze.


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive I feather step 90 minutes

After Lantressa casts her spell, Callie tumbles around the hopefully beguiled physician in blue to flank him with Riceak. "White Wilma's minions dwindled as the battle raged on..." Free action, maintain inspire courage

Acrobatics to avoid AOO if the physician isn't dazed, DC 18: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (8) + 12 = 20

Either way, she stabs at the physician once she lands there, again her blade glowing.

Swift action: Arcane Strike
Attack, Inspire Courage, Flanking: 1d20 + 10 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 10 + 2 + 2 = 34

Crit Confirm?: 1d20 + 10 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 10 + 2 + 2 = 31

Damage, IC, Arcane Strike: 2d8 + 6 + 4 + 4 ⇒ (2, 7) + 6 + 4 + 4 = 23

Callie lands from her tumble and thrusts upward as she stands, the blade sliding under the physician's ribs at the perfect angle. She practically lifts him upright as the glowing blade runs him through.

"The mindless drones were no match for our heroes..."


Male

ROUND THREE!

Lantressa's voice attracts the Physician, who stares dumbly at her...and keeps staring at her as Callie somersaults around him and thrusts her blade through his ribs. He collapses to the floor!

Korriban, Riceak, and Teo are up!

Initiative
Callie, Korriban, Riceak, Teodor<------
Foes
Lantressa

Combat Map

Vitals:

Physicians: HP: 11 yellow | AC/T/FF: 16/14/12 | Fort +4 Ref +6 Will +1 (+4 vs. scents) | CMD: 18 | evasion
Cultists: HP: 9 red | AC/T/FF: 19/12/19 | Fort +7 Ref +1 Will +6 | CMD: 15 |
Rolth HP: 36 | AC/T/FF: 21/13/19 | Fort +6 Ref +7 Will +7 | CMD: 16


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

The map is old I think ...who is left and where are they? He'll attack a cultist, I think.attack : 1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 6 + 2 = 21damage: 1d10 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 3 + 2 = 10
Meanwhile, the strange creature snarls through fleshy growths and bites as Rolth. attack: 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 4 + 2 = 22damage: 1d6 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 3 + 2 = 7


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive I feather step 90 minutes

I think the map is up to date. The closest enemy to you is the yellow physician.


Male

The map should be up to date! Are you using this link?

I'll assume that you're attacking the yellow Physician unless I hear otherwise!


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban feels the flat of the dagger touch him and the attempted spell. However, he shakes it off and smirks. "Well, isn't that adorable? You tried to cast a spell on me. Too bad you suck though. If you didn't... it might have worked." He continues stabbing at Rolth!

Attack vs AC 17 (Fighting Defensively, Crane Style, Inspire Courage, Flanking, opponent is prone): 1d20 + 11 - 2 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 11 - 2 + 2 + 2 = 21
Damage (Inspire Courage): 1d6 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 4 + 2 = 11
Sneak Attack due to flanking with summoned wolf: 2d6 ⇒ (2, 4) = 6

This almost isn't fair to Rolth. :)


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

Oddly, that link just shows me the original map. Hm. The attack will go to whoever is nearest.


Male

ROUND THREE (cont'd)

Teodor steps forward and clocks the Physician, while Riceak...

Attack: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (4) + 11 = 15

...actually misses the Physician, who ducks under his swing! Meanwhile, up on the catwalk, the wolf continues to worry Rolth's leg, and Korriban stabs him in the side once more, eliciting a cry of pain.

The Physician backs away from the united front that Teodor and Riceak present, then turns and bolts up the stairs and onto the catwalk, ignoring Rolth entirely as he runs for the cultist. He's withdrawing. That man mutters another prayer, curing some more of his wounds, and roars, "Rolth! Hang on!"

Rolth, however, has been badly wounded. Glaring up at Korriban through the smoke, he snarls, "I'll find you, you sniveling little worm. You may have won for now, but one day..." He barks a sudden word, and makes a rapid gesture...and vanishes! The Urgathoan cultist lets out an oath and steps away from the railing toward the Physician.

The party is up, starting with Lantressa!

Spellcraft DC 19:
Rolth managed to cast defensively and teleport away with dimension door.

Initiative
Callie, Korriban, Riceak, Teodor
Foes
Lantressa<------

Combat Map I don't know what's going on for you, Teo, sorry! :(

Vitals:

Physicians: HP: 1 yellow | AC/T/FF: 16/14/12 | Fort +4 Ref +6 Will +1 (+4 vs. scents) | CMD: 18 | evasion
Cultists: HP: 19 red | AC/T/FF: 19/12/19 | Fort +7 Ref +1 Will +6 | CMD: 15 |
Rolth HP: 12 | AC/T/FF: 21/13/19 | Fort +6 Ref +7 Will +7 | CMD: 16

GM Screen:

CLW: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10
Concentration DC 23: 1d20 + 13 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 13 + 4 = 30


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive I feather step 90 minutes

Teodor, maybe empty your cache?

GM, can you please note in the main game text if a caster is casting defensively? I peeked at your GM screen and saw that indeed he was, but had I not looked at a spoiler I probably shouldn't have, I would have assumed Korriban and the wolf were owed AOOs on Rolth.

Not posting an action till after Lantressa of course, but wanted to try the Spellcraft check.

Spellcraft: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (12) + 12 = 24


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

Teodor mentally commands his creature to sniff out where Rolth went, then follows the physician and strikes him again.

cthuluwolf scent perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28

attack : 1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 6 + 2 = 17damage: 1d10 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 3 + 2 = 11


female | tiefling (pitborn) | sorcerer 8 |HP: 48/50 | AC:14 [17]; T:12; FF:13 [15]| CMB +4, CMD:16 | Fort:+6; Ref:+6; Will:+8 | Init:+2; Perc:+0 Volatile Conduit 1/1 | Beguiling Voice (dc 17) 3/8 | Fascinate (dc 20) 2/2 | Spells: lvl 1 7/8; lvl 2 4/7; lvl 3 3/6; lvl 4 3/4

Lantressa saw the bastard disappear and cursed. If he got away it was going to be a very bad thing for them. She entered the room, looked at he cultist who just stepped away and said a few words then, with a gesture, sent a beam of red energy at him.

scorching ray: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 124d6 ⇒ (6, 5, 6, 5) = 22


Male

ROUND FOUR!

Lantressa runs forward and, with a curse, looses a scorching ray at the cultist. She barely manages to clip him on the shoulder, and he collapses with a strangled cry! As Teodor rushes onto the catwalks, flail held menacingly aloft, the Physician drops to his knees. "I surrender! I surrender! Don't kill me!" he cries, voice muffled by his mask.

Teodor's wolf-thing snuffles about, but can't seem to find Rolth's scent. It growls in frustration.

Teo, you don't quite have the movement to chase after the Physician and swing--but you can get up to him this turn, if you want. Callie, Korriban, and Riceak are up! What will you do?

Initiative
Callie, Korriban, Riceak,<-------
Teodor
Foes
Lantressa

Combat Map


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17
The Norv wrote:
Rolth, however, has been badly wounded. Glaring up at Korriban through the smoke, he snarls, "I'll find you, you sniveling little worm. You may have won for now, but one day..." He barks a sudden word, and makes a rapid gesture...and vanishes!

At Rolth's threat, Korriban just smirks and mocks him. "'I'll find you, boy! Blah, blah, blah! My cult's better than yours! My dad's dead! Waa!' All talk, Rolthy boy. Now time to..." Then, the necromancer vanishes! Korriban's shocked. "Wait! What?! What the f**k just happened?!" He turns to his friends. "Guys! Rolth's gone! I don't know what happened! He just up and vanished!" When the cultist surrenders as Teodor approaches him, Korriban runs around the catwalks, yelling out, "Ask him where Rolth might have gone! We have to track him down!" He stops right next to the cultist.

Double Move actions.


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive I feather step 90 minutes

"Based on his command words, he used a spell to teleport a short distance--he can't probably go much more than 500 feet away, but that's still a damned good head start. Depending on how big this complex is, he might still be here. But in his haste he may have left behind something he wants. Let's be sure he's not able to get it back."

Callie does try to think where in the area he might have tried to flee to in the city that's roughly 500-600 feet from where they stand--if not simply elsewhere in the complex.

Knowledge Local: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9

Callie looks at Korriban. "These addlecoves haven't given us any helpful information before. If you get that circumstance to change, I'll be impressed. But if not, you're wasting your time."

She heads up the catwalk toward the north door and listens at it.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

I don't know if I can do this. But, Callie has a good idea with making a Knowledge roll to figure out where Rolth could have ended up. If it's okay, I'd like to give it a shot as well. If I can't, then please ignore this roll.

Knowledge (local): 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (9) + 13 = 22

3,701 to 3,750 of 5,161 << first < prev | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Dying City: DM Norv's "Curse of the Crimson Throne" All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.