The Dying City: DM Norv's "Curse of the Crimson Throne"

Game Master The Norv

The classic story of intrigue, magic, and strife in Korvosa, and of five figures caught in the balance of greater forces than they know.

Current Date: Starday, 10th of Lamashan, 4708

Current Map | Flex Time | Loot Tracker | Floorplan for the Rosa in Fiore

Harrow Points and Uses:

Current Harrow Points:
Callie: 3
Korriban: 2
Lantressa: 4
Matoska: 2
Teodor: 3

Flash of Insight: You can spend a Harrow point to attempt a skill check that normally requires training for a skill in which you have no ranks. You gain a one-time +5 bonus to that skill check.

Intelligence Rerolls: You can spend a Harrow point to reroll any one Intelligence-based check. You must abide by the new result, even if it's lower (but you can spend more Harrow points to reroll again if you want to).

Focused Thought: You can reattempt a Knowledge check that you have previously failed. On this attempt, you gain a +10 bonus on the check.


3,851 to 3,900 of 5,161 << first < prev | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | next > last >>

Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive I

Hey, Korriban, can you move one over so we can be flanking whoever comes out of the door

Callie flips her blade into her hand, positions herself by the door and waits.

I'll attack if someone comes out, but i'll save my die rolls for now. I'm superstitious. ;)


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Sure.

Korriban adjusts his steps so that he can flank with Callie.

My attack roll will now be 24


female | tiefling (pitborn) | sorcerer 8 |HP: 48/50 | AC:14 [17]; T:12; FF:13 [15]| CMB +4, CMD:16 | Fort:+6; Ref:+6; Will:+8 | Init:+2; Perc:+0 Volatile Conduit 1/1 | Beguiling Voice (dc 17) 3/8 | Fascinate (dc 20) 2/2 | Spells: lvl 1 7/8; lvl 2 4/7; lvl 3 3/6; lvl 4 3/4

Lantressa followed along as her companions advanced through the remaining rooms they had yet to clear until they had only one place left to go. As they prepared to storm inside Lantressa readied herself and said to them, "Should I toss a fireball when we open the door? Catch them off guard and weaken them?"


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive I

Callie nods vigorously at Lantressa when she suggests a fireball through the door when they open it.


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Hearing Lantressa's question, Korriban looks back at her and nods, giving a thumbs up.


female | tiefling (pitborn) | sorcerer 8 |HP: 48/50 | AC:14 [17]; T:12; FF:13 [15]| CMB +4, CMD:16 | Fort:+6; Ref:+6; Will:+8 | Init:+2; Perc:+0 Volatile Conduit 1/1 | Beguiling Voice (dc 17) 3/8 | Fascinate (dc 20) 2/2 | Spells: lvl 1 7/8; lvl 2 4/7; lvl 3 3/6; lvl 4 3/4

Ready for the fight Momijii waited for the door to be opened and when it was said a few words and gestured then sent a bead of fire into the room to explode amidst the enemy Urgathoans.

fireball (dc 18): 7d6 ⇒ (6, 6, 6, 4, 5, 1, 2) = 30


Male

Korriban takes a step back from the door just as someone unlatches it from the other side and steps through! "So, Lady Andaisin, you've--ARRRRGH!" The purple-cloaked cultist shrieks as he steps through the door and is skewered by Korriban and (possibly) Callie!

COMBAT! SURPRISE ROUND!

Korriban and Callie stab the cultist as he emerges onto the catwalk, and Lantressa darts onto the balcony to hurl a fireball through the open doorway! (I took a 5' step for you because otherwise you don't have a clear shot.) There's a thunderous boom from inside the room and shrieks of pain!

Peering into the doorway as the smoke from Lantressa's fireball clears, you can see into the room. Four cultists' bodies lie strewn about the room...all apparently blasted off their feet by Lantressa's fireball. The reek of burning wax wafts through this morbid chamber, with several tall, misshapen cnadles being the apparent source. Workspaces strewn with tall beakers of foul-colored liquids, parchments covered in insidious symbols, and cages of whimpering rodents fill alcoves in both the northern and southern walls. A pair of huge stone doors hang ajar to the east, revealing a long hallway leading further into the dark. At the room's center stand four large, cylindrical glass vats, each filled with a bubbling emerald fluid that tints the room's light a noxious green. Within each suspension floats a malformed abomination--something part human, part angel, and part horse--things of half-formed muscle and fleshless, equine skulls. Three of the forms are motionless, but the fourth twitches now and then--and all of the glass vats seem to have been fractured by Lantressa's fireball!

Callie still needs to roll her readied attack, and then it's into the surprise round! I'm treating the two stabs and the fireball as readied actions, so you all get one more action in the surprise round proper!

Initiative
Surprise!
The Party<------
Round One:
Foes
The Party

Combat Map

Vitals:

Red Cultist (the others are unconscious): HP: 14 | AC/T/FF: 17/10/17 | Fort +7 Ref +1 Will +6 | CMD: 15

GM Screen:

Korriban Init: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
Callie Init: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7
Lantressa Init: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13
Teodor Init: 1d20 ⇒ 2
Cultists: 1d20 ⇒ 18
Leukodaemon: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (1) + 11 = 12
--------------
Yellow Reflex DC 18: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8
Green Reflex DC 18: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10
Blue Reflex DC 18: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7
Purple Reflex DC 18: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive I

Readied Attack, flanking: 1d20 + 10 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 10 + 2 = 31
Crit Confirm: 1d20 + 10 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 10 + 2 = 32
Damage: 2d8 + 6 ⇒ (5, 7) + 6 = 18

Callie runs the cultist through with deadly precision.

Surprise Round
Callie casts vanish and promptly disappears.


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

bluff: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (11) + 20 = 31"Listen, buddy, we're just the first wave here. A prostitute, a bum, a kid, and a storyteller. And we just wiped out everyone you've got around you and everyone before. Maybe just give up before the rest of the force gets here."


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban calls out. "That's right! Imagine how deadly the backup's going to be! Just give it up!"

Bluff (aid another): 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (13) + 11 = 24

He looks at Teodor and whispers, "Please don't kill this one. I would like to give the Guard at least one prisoner."


Male

I'm not sure who the two of you are talking to? With Callie's attack, the cultists are all unconscious and bleeding out, so... :P

Will assume Lantressa just gets ready to move in the surprise round.

ROUND ONE!

As Callie vanishes, you realize that all of the cultists are unconscious...but one creature remains. The thing in the glass cage is running one finger slowly through the liquid, over one of the fractures in the glass. Then all of you clutch your ears as an unearthly howl sounds in your heads, and the creature slams a fist through the glass, shattering its prison! The creature leaps into the room, gray wings unfolding, as the bilious liquid dishes over the floor. It stands above one of the cultists and raises a hand to strike!

But its standard action was to break free, so the party is up! Reminder that the north door is open, the southern one currently remains closed.

Initiative
Horrifying Monstrosity
Party Time!<-----

Combat Map

Knowledge (Planes) DC 19:
This is a fiend from Abbadon known as a leukodaemon, a spirit of pestilence and disease that serves as "deacon" to the Horseman of Disease, one of the most powerful outsiders in the lower planes. Daemons seek the extinguishment of life throughout the planes; this one must have been bound in that glass chamber, as there's no way it would work with living creatures.

Vitals:
Leukodaemon: HP: 115 | AC/T/FF: 23/16/16 | F+9 R+14 W+12 | CMD: 35 | DR 10/good or silver | Immune: acid, death effects, disease, poison | Resist 10 cold, electricity, fire | SR 20


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

flail attack: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26Crit Confirmatio: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21confirmed damage: 2d10 + 6 ⇒ (9, 2) + 6 = 17

Still jumpy from the encounter with the vampire, Teodor charges in and wallops the freaky thing with this heavy flail.


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive I

She thought since Teo and Korriban were talking there was more than the monster in there, but seeing nothing but the monster, Callie movies in, sneaks up on the horrifying monstrosity and stabs it. The invisibility fades after she lunges, not having served much purpose. She infuses her blade with magical energy as she strikes.

Move, attack, swift to activate Arcane Strike

Attack creature, flanking: 1d20 + 10 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 10 + 2 = 17

Her considerable recent luck in stabbing things has ended, however.


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Shocked at the sound of shattering glass and howling, Korriban looks in the room. Surprised at the creature he sees, he shouts, "What the f**k is that?!" Maintaining his stance, Korriban runs in and flanks the monster with Callie and Teodor, stabbing at it!

Attack (fighting defensively, heroism, cat's grace, flanking): 1d20 + 11 - 2 + 2 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 11 - 2 + 2 + 2 + 2 = 29
Damage (cat's grace): 1d6 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 4 + 2 = 10
Sneak Attack: 2d6 ⇒ (3, 3) = 6

My current AC is 23.


female | tiefling (pitborn) | sorcerer 8 |HP: 48/50 | AC:14 [17]; T:12; FF:13 [15]| CMB +4, CMD:16 | Fort:+6; Ref:+6; Will:+8 | Init:+2; Perc:+0 Volatile Conduit 1/1 | Beguiling Voice (dc 17) 3/8 | Fascinate (dc 20) 2/2 | Spells: lvl 1 7/8; lvl 2 4/7; lvl 3 3/6; lvl 4 3/4

Lantressa wasn't sure just what this new creature was and she wasn't sure that she wanted to know. She just knew that it had to die. Not sure if the fireball would b worthwhile, and with her friends so close, she wasn't wasting a fireball on it. Instead she began to weave her magic and unleashed her spell attempting to slow the creature's movement through time. Unfortunately for her the spell slid off and did nothing to it leaving her suddenly worried.

SR: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (10) + 9 = 19
I attempt to cast slow (Will 18) on it.


Male

ROUND TWO!

Teodor hustles into the room and bashes the creature's skull with his flail! It jerks away, baleful eye sockets turning toward him rather than its prey. Callie becomes visible as she stabs her glowing blue blade at the fiend, but it just glances off the sturdy skull. Korriban dives forward as Lantressa's spell fizzles and lunges for the creature's midsection--and suddenly it roars as the silver blade sinks home! Korriban's sword comes away sticky with viscous black blood, and the creature whirls toward him.

Mortal fools! All four of you hear the voice shriek in your head. I may have been bound, separated from my bow, but the Prince of Plagues still guides me! I shall slay you and collect your souls for him, then I shall slay every living creature in this temple. After that I shall descend upon the city and bring plague to every man, woman, and child there. YOU SHALL NOT STOP ME!

It raises one hand, letting out a shriek as black energy starts to swirl and it flaps its wings to keep the three fighters at bay. Callie's sword flashes forth and the creature is forced to spin away--she doesn't connect, but the energy surrounding its hand dissipates and it roars in rage. The beast darts between Callie and Korriban to stand with its back to one of the other glass prisons.

Failed to cast defensively (good news for Korriban), and 5' steps. The party's up once more!

Initiative
The Thing
Party!<------

Korriban, remember that you need to be directly across from an ally to flank! You'll also see that its hit points are lower...I missed that this one has already taken some damage in captivity.

Combat Map

Vitals:

Leukodaemon: HP: 72 | AC/T/FF: 23/16/16 | F+9 R+14 W+12 | CMD: 35 | DR 10/good or silver | Immune: acid, death effects, disease, poison | Resist 10 cold, electricity, fire | SR 20

GM Screen:

Concentration DC 31: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (13) + 13 = 26


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

bluff: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (2) + 20 = 22"We already killed everyone while you were captured. Haha! You totally missed out on some great murder!"touch attack: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16

Fearful Touch:

Fearful Touch (Su): As a standard action, you can make a melee touch attack against a creature, causing it to experience terrible hallucinations for 1 round. During this time, the creature loses any immunity to fear effects it might possess and takes a –2 penalty on attack rolls made against you. In addition, the creature takes a penalty onWill saves made against fear effects equal to 1/2 your cleric level (minimum –1). This power is a mind-affecting effect. You can use this ability for a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Wisdom modifier.


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Sorry about that, Norv.

Korriban looks at the black blood dripping off his sword. Oh, gross!" He flicks it off and glares at the monster. He keeps in step with the creature as he moves to its side (5 foot step), keeping his stance and plunging his blade forward, using Callie's position to aid him.

Attack (fighting defensively, heroism, cat's grace, flanking): 1d20 + 11 - 2 + 2 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 11 - 2 + 2 + 2 + 2 = 31
Damage (cat's grace): 1d6 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 4 + 2 = 10
Sneak Attack: 2d6 ⇒ (5, 3) = 8


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive I

Callie again fuels her blade with arcane energy, but this time she adds a rhythmic war chant in old Chelish, and the blade's glow gets brighter.

Along with another swift action to activate Arcane Strike, activating Bladethirst to make my sword +2 (from its usual +1)

Attack, flanking, bladethirst: 1d20 + 10 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 10 + 2 + 1 = 32
Confirm Crit: 1d20 + 10 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 10 + 2 + 1 = 28

Critical Damage, bladethirst, arcane strike: 2d8 + 6 + 2 + 4 ⇒ (5, 2) + 6 + 2 + 4 = 19

Callie strikes a solid blow, and while the creature's considerable defenses absorb a good bit of the damage, she still makes a fair sized gash in its hide.

Remind me to take versatile weapon as a spell in the future...


female | tiefling (pitborn) | sorcerer 8 |HP: 48/50 | AC:14 [17]; T:12; FF:13 [15]| CMB +4, CMD:16 | Fort:+6; Ref:+6; Will:+8 | Init:+2; Perc:+0 Volatile Conduit 1/1 | Beguiling Voice (dc 17) 3/8 | Fascinate (dc 20) 2/2 | Spells: lvl 1 7/8; lvl 2 4/7; lvl 3 3/6; lvl 4 3/4

Not liking this thing they were having to fight Lantressa gathered her resolve and cast once again. This time she felt the spell punch through the resistance to her magic the creature had and watched on in glee as it began to move slower and slower.

SR: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25
Casting slow (DC 19 will) on the thing. Pretty sure a 25 beats the SR.


Male

ROUND THREE!

The creature roars in pain as Callie and Korriban both skewer it; Callie's blade penetrates this time, though she can feel the creature's very essence pushing back against the blade. As they withdraw their blades, Teodor lunges forward and the creature shakes its head, batting at something that only it can see. Lantressa chants a few words and smiles as she sees the creature begin to slow--but then it twists and writhes, shaking the magic off.

You think to ensorcell ME, spawn of the Abyss?! I will rend your ally limb from limb, then come for YOU!

The creature whirls on Korriban in a frenzy of violence. Its bony teeth rip into Korriban's shoulder and, as he staggers back, he just barely manages to bring up his rapier and a claw swinging down toward his head. The creature's grip tightens on the blade, though, and Korriban's eyes widen as the other claw comes from underneath and rips into his ribs!

Crane style saved you, but then there was a crit...and in a freak of math, the combined bite and crit deal EXACTLY 33 points of damage, leaving Korriban staggered at 0 hp! Party is up!

Combat Map

Vitals:

Leukodaemon: HP: 47 | AC/T/FF: 23/16/16 | F+9 R+14 W+12 (-1 vs. fear, Rd 3) | CMD: 35 | DR 10/good or silver | Immune: acid, death effects, disease, poison | Resist 10 cold, electricity, fire | SR 20

GM Screen:

Will DC 19: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (16) + 12 = 28
Bite: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (13) + 16 = 29
Claw 1: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (5) + 16 = 21
Claw 2: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (20) + 16 = 36
Confirm?: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (12) + 16 = 28
Bite: 1d8 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12
Claw 2: 2d6 + 14 ⇒ (3, 4) + 14 = 21


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive I

"No!" Callie cries as Korriban falls. She takes a single step toward Korriban (5' step), but keeps her blade trained upon the fiend.

She fuels more power into her blade. Changing bladethirst bonus to keen as move action, swift action to activate Arcane Strike

Attack: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26

You couldn't have rolled just one higher...

Damage, Arcane Strike: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8

Though she strikes true, the blade does nothing.


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

Teodor casts Doom on the creature minus 2 to his save from touch of fear ."Korriban's blade hurts it!"


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

sr: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22


3 people marked this as a favorite.
female | tiefling (pitborn) | sorcerer 8 |HP: 48/50 | AC:14 [17]; T:12; FF:13 [15]| CMB +4, CMD:16 | Fort:+6; Ref:+6; Will:+8 | Init:+2; Perc:+0 Volatile Conduit 1/1 | Beguiling Voice (dc 17) 3/8 | Fascinate (dc 20) 2/2 | Spells: lvl 1 7/8; lvl 2 4/7; lvl 3 3/6; lvl 4 3/4

Lantressa became very worried when she felt the creature rip through her spell like it wasn't there. Her eyes narrowed and she began another spell. This time she wove her magic into her words as she said, "So, do you know what the daemon said to his summoner? You'll be on your own when I Abbadon you later."

I cast hideous laughter, DC 18 will negates.


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Jeez... That was brutal.

Korriban's eyes widen as the claw sinks into his chest. When the creature yanks it out, Korriban staggers a bit. He weakly glares at the monster as his free hand covers his wounds. "I... I'll get you... monster... But not now..." He then breaks off and moves to the exit of the room, running to safety, a trail of blood following him.


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive I

Korriban, you didn't happen to leave your rapier behind, did you?


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

No. I can retcon my action to dropping it on Teodor's call, if that will help. And with Norv's okay.


Male

ROUND FOUR!

The creature's supernatural hide turns Callie's blade harmlessly aside, even as Teodor curses the creature. It seems to ignore the priest, but Lantressa's joke causes it to burst into a shriek of horrible, ear-piercing laughter. Korriban takes this as his cue to drop his rapier and dash out of the room, retreating onto the catwalks, as the fiend clutches its sides.

It finally catches its breath and seems to shake off the joke. That was terrible! I'll end you for that, pretty one... It starts to move toward Lantressa, but that's all it has time to do before Callie and Teodor are on it once more.

Made its save on its turn, but you prevented it from acting for that round! It takes a 5' step at the end of the turn, and the party is up!

Combat Map

Vitals:

Leukodaemon: HP: 47 | AC/T/FF: 23/16/16 | F+9 R+14 W+12 | CMD: 35 | DR 10/good or silver | Immune: acid, death effects, disease, poison | Resist 10 cold, electricity, fire | SR 20

GM Screen:

Will DC 14: 1d20 + 12 - 2 ⇒ (14) + 12 - 2 = 24
Will DC 18: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (4) + 12 = 16
Will DC 18: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (11) + 12 = 23


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive I

Callie takes another step, filling the spot where Korriban had stood. She switches from a rhythmic hum fueling her bladethirst performance and switches to one of her inspiring chants. "The enslaved beast Driphidius did not know when he was beat..."

Switch to Inspire Courage.

As she speaks, she leans over to scoop up Korriban's rapier, switching her longsword for the time being to her off-hand.

This provokes an AOO.


Male

The fiend, seeing Callie going for Korriban's blade, lunges forward, and its teeth sink into her shoulder, filling her with agonizing pain!

I can't believe it...another crit, dealing 26 points of damage to Callie. Teo, Lantressa, and Korriban are up...

GM Screen:

Attack of Opp: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (20) + 16 = 36
Damage: 1d8 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13
Confirm?!: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (8) + 16 = 24
Damage: 1d8 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13


female | tiefling (pitborn) | sorcerer 8 |HP: 48/50 | AC:14 [17]; T:12; FF:13 [15]| CMB +4, CMD:16 | Fort:+6; Ref:+6; Will:+8 | Init:+2; Perc:+0 Volatile Conduit 1/1 | Beguiling Voice (dc 17) 3/8 | Fascinate (dc 20) 2/2 | Spells: lvl 1 7/8; lvl 2 4/7; lvl 3 3/6; lvl 4 3/4

This fight wasn't going very well for them, Korriban forced to retreat, Callie taking a terrible blow, Tressa was beginning to think they would have to flee and even then they would lose at least one or two of their number. She resolved herself and cast once more. She'd had such success earlier with rays of heat that she decided to try it again. Unfortunately her beams went into the floor well short of her target and she cursed vociferously in abyssal. She gathered herself long enough to call out, "Korriban! Potions in my pack, take one and use it!" Then she began to move, getting more distance between herself and the creature and ending up next to Korriban.

SR: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (9) + 9 = 18
Scorching Ray 1 w/IC: 1d20 + 5 - 4 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 5 - 4 + 1 = 44d6 + 1 ⇒ (3, 1, 6, 2) + 1 = 13
Scorching Ray 2 w/IC: 1d20 + 5 - 4 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 5 - 4 + 1 = 44d6 + 1 ⇒ (3, 6, 1, 6) + 1 = 17


M Human (multi-ethnic) Rogue Charlatan 6

don't forget the bonus from Callie


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive I

Question: I was on my phone when I last posted and forgot to say I couldn't alter the map--I should have moved into the square where Korriban was--as of the last time I looked at the board, the demon was directly in front of Callie ("north" of her). She would have made a five foot step NW, which is where Korriban was. But that square is now where the daemon is? (which somehow I never saw until now? I swear he hadn't moved into that square before, though your post clearly reads he took a 5' step). If the daemon moved into that square BEFORE she acted, he'd be in the square where the rapier was and Callie wouldn't have been able to retrieve it, so she'd have to do something different (and wouldn't have provoked). I'm sorry 'cause of course I screwed this up. How should I proceed?


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Lantressa, I'm still on the catwalks. It looks like your token is on the ground below the catwalks. It's okay, though.

Korriban looks from his position, leaning over the rail, as Lantressa runs up to him. He nods at her. "Thanks." He then digs through her pack and pulls out a potion of cure light wounds.

I'm assuming that I'm still staggered. So, getting a potion is a move action.


Male

Hmmmmmmmm. I am torn because I see what you're saying (though I didn't clock that either). Here's what I'll say: I'll hand-wave the exact location of the rapier (allowing you to pick it up), BUT picking up the rapier will provoke the attack of opportunity already rolled regardless. If you choose not to pick it up in light of it being under the daemon, you can do so, but do keep in mind that you will be without what seems like the most effective weapon in this fight...

Korriban, you are still staggered so that's right! Waiting on actions from Teodor (and Callie's final decision).


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive I

Okay, so we don't have to reroll stuff, let's say she did reach for the rapier and things happen as they did. I have now moved her 5 ft--since she can't have stepped into the nw square I moved her w. Teo, would it be audacious to suggest an energy channel?


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

Can Teodor move to get Korriban in his healing?
if so: 3d6 ⇒ (3, 5, 5) = 13


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive I

Well, hopefully Callie ate his AOO for the round so that might free you up a bit.


Male

Yep--since the door is open, you can move to the doorway to spread the burst into the plague vat room. (ETA: And yes, this is easy because Callie ate that AoO.)

ROUND FIVE!

As the monster savages Callie, Lantressa's bolts of fire just gliding across its hide without effect, Teodor darts around the monster to the doorway and raises his holy symbol. White light floods out, bursting from the room with the glass containers into the plague vat room, and all four of you feel it wash over you, healing your wounds and easing your tired muscles. As Korriban retrieves a healing potion from Lantressa's pack, he feels himself re-energized and all of you think that there might be a chance...

The creature is not going to let you go so easily, though. It grinds its teeth into Callie's shoulder, undoing much of Teodor's healing. Whirling away, it rakes its claws at the cleric--Teo manages to fend off the first one, but the second leaves an agonizing wound on his shoulder. Although you're badly wounded, the creature now finds itself between Callie and Teodor, and Callie is clutching Korriban's silver rapier...

Everyone heals 13 from Teo's channel, but then Teo and Callie take 12 points of damage each...but you're up again!

Combat Map

Vitals:

Leukodaemon: HP: 47 | AC/T/FF: 23/16/16 | F+9 R+14 W+12 | CMD: 35 | DR 10/good or silver | Immune: acid, death effects, disease, poison | Resist 10 cold, electricity, fire | SR 20

GM Screen:

Bite (@ Callie): 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (16) + 16 = 32
Claw (@Teo): 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (2) + 16 = 18
Claw (@Teo): 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (16) + 16 = 32
Bite Damage: 1d8 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12
Claw Damage: 1d6 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

sr: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20Teodor bestows a curse on the creature. -4 to rolls

"You bore me. Disease? Pffft. You got owned by the fools we slaughtered."


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive I

Callie grimaces, trying not to swoon from the sudden onslaught of claws, healing light, and more claws, and stubbornly weaves her tale. "'Do not underestimate me,' cried the swordsman..."

She steps to flank the creature, whipping the lighter blade into her hand, and trying to remember older dueling classes with Sir Nicolas, lunges forward while maintaining a defensive stance. She channels arcane energy into the blade as she does so.

5' step to flank, free to maintain Inspire Courage, swift to activate Arcane Strike

Fighting Defensively: since she has at least 3 ranks in Acrobatics, she gets a +3 bonus to AC, so her current AC is 25.

Attack with silver rapier, fighting defensively, inspire courage, flanking: 1d20 + 9 - 4 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 9 - 4 + 2 + 2 = 27

It may not be her weapon of choice, but Callie is reminded that when applied with precision, rapiers can easily poke choice bits.

Confirm Crit: 1d20 + 9 - 4 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 9 - 4 + 2 + 2 = 15

Sadly her lack of experience with the weapon disallows her from maximizing its effectiveness, but regardless she strikes true.

Damage, Arcane Strike, Inspire Courage: 1d6 + 3 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 3 + 2 + 2 = 13


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban feels Teodor's magic wash over him, healing some of his wounds. He sighs in relief, then drinks the potion in his hands.

Potion of Cure Light Wounds: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8

So, that's 21 hp in total.

He then says, "Thank you, Lantressa." Then he moves past her and stops to the side of the door, being careful not to attract attention.

Stealth: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14

Am I able to draw a weapon as part of my move action?


female | tiefling (pitborn) | sorcerer 8 |HP: 48/50 | AC:14 [17]; T:12; FF:13 [15]| CMB +4, CMD:16 | Fort:+6; Ref:+6; Will:+8 | Init:+2; Perc:+0 Volatile Conduit 1/1 | Beguiling Voice (dc 17) 3/8 | Fascinate (dc 20) 2/2 | Spells: lvl 1 7/8; lvl 2 4/7; lvl 3 3/6; lvl 4 3/4

Cursing at her lack of success against this thing Tressa nodded in acknowledgement of Korriban and then turned her gaze tot eh creature once more. She had one last spell that was likely to hurt this thing and decided to give it her all. She began chanting and gesturing as she moved back to get sight on it and then sent her last beam s of fiery energy out at it.

SR: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12
Scorching Ray 1: 1d20 + 5 - 1 ⇒ (16) + 5 - 1 = 204d6 ⇒ (4, 6, 4, 2) = 16
Scorching Ray 2: 1d20 + 5 - 1 ⇒ (10) + 5 - 1 = 144d6 ⇒ (4, 4, 3, 6) = 17


Male

ROUND SIX!

As Callie stabs the creature in the side once more--eliciting a shriek of pain--Teodor rushes forward and attempts to curse it. (Which requires a touch attack.)

Teo melee touch (flanking): 1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 6 + 2 = 17

As Teodor makes contact, the fiend whirls toward him. Insolent slave! I will slay you ALL! Lantressa's bolts of fire wash off its back, while Korriban attempts to sneak up on it....though he's not quiet. Ah, back for more, are you? Korriban, you CAN draw a weapon while you move.

The fiend lunges for Callie, snapping and raming with its claws--but its movements are clumsy now, and the blue-clad bard easily dodges them. It hisses and steps sideways to avoid being flanked.

Finally some non-20 rolls, combined with that curse, might turn this around! Party's up!

Combat Map

Vitals:
Leukodaemon: HP: 34 | AC/T/FF: 23/16/16 | F+9 R+14 W+12 | CMD: 35 | DR 10/good or silver | Immune: acid, death effects, disease, poison | Resist 10 cold, electricity, fire | SR 20 | -4 on attacks, saves, abilities, skills

GM Screen:

Will DC 16: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (1) + 12 = 13
Perception DC 24: 1d20 + 22 - 4 ⇒ (10) + 22 - 4 = 28
Bite: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (9) + 12 = 21
Claw: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (6) + 12 = 18
Claw: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (5) + 12 = 17


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive I

Callie steps up and attacks, still chanting another tale, maintaining her defensive stance, and channeling arcane energy into the rapier.

5' step, Maintain inspire courage, activate Arcane Strike, fighting defensively (Current AC is 25--cat's grace + fighting defensively. I think I mistyped last time)

Attack, fighting defensively, IC: 1d20 + 9 - 4 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 9 - 4 + 2 = 26
Confirm crit?: 1d20 + 9 - 4 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 9 - 4 + 2 = 23
On the nose! Woot!
Damage, critical hit, inspire courage, arcane strike: 2d6 + 6 + 4 + 4 ⇒ (5, 1) + 6 + 4 + 4 = 20

Fortunately, Callie remembers her old fencing lessons quickly and this time remembers how to take advantage of the slender blade's advantages.


female | tiefling (pitborn) | sorcerer 8 |HP: 48/50 | AC:14 [17]; T:12; FF:13 [15]| CMB +4, CMD:16 | Fort:+6; Ref:+6; Will:+8 | Init:+2; Perc:+0 Volatile Conduit 1/1 | Beguiling Voice (dc 17) 3/8 | Fascinate (dc 20) 2/2 | Spells: lvl 1 7/8; lvl 2 4/7; lvl 3 3/6; lvl 4 3/4

Aggravated at her failure to hurt this...THING Lantressa pulled on one of the only spells of use she still had. Grease sprang from nowhere, coating the side of the vat and the ground at the creature's feet.

I cast grease, DC 16 ref to stay standing.

Such on THAT SR!


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban curses as the creature manages to find out his position. He looks down at his hand and sees the silver dagger that he must have instinctively grabbed as he moved. He remembers how his silver rapier managed to severely damage the monster. He glares at the dagger, brings it up to his face, and whispers, [smaller]"Listen here. I don't trust you at all. You're weird. Like, really weird. But, you seem to be my only option to fight this thing. So, here we go." He then takes a deep breath and charges in, moving past Lantressa and Teodor to get into position opposite of Callie. He swings the dagger.

Attack (untrustworthy silver dagger, fighting defensively, heroism, cat's grace, flanking): 1d20 + 10 - 2 + 2 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 10 - 2 + 2 + 2 + 2 = 22
Damage (cat's grace): 1d4 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 + 2 = 8
Sneak Attack due to flanking: 2d6 ⇒ (3, 6) = 9

If my Crane Style is still in affect, my current AC is 23.


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive I

Inspire courage should add +2 to that hit, which should mean you hit! And adds +2 to damage.


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

I forgot about that! Then my attack should be 24 and the damage is 10! That means that my damage in total is 19!

3,851 to 3,900 of 5,161 << first < prev | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Dying City: DM Norv's "Curse of the Crimson Throne" All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.