The Dying City: DM Norv's "Curse of the Crimson Throne"

Game Master The Norv

The classic story of intrigue, magic, and strife in Korvosa, and of five figures caught in the balance of greater forces than they know.

Current Date: Starday, 10th of Lamashan, 4708

Current Map | Flex Time | Loot Tracker | Floorplan for the Rosa in Fiore

Harrow Points and Uses:

Current Harrow Points:
Callie: 3
Korriban: 2
Lantressa: 4
Matoska: 2
Teodor: 3

Flash of Insight: You can spend a Harrow point to attempt a skill check that normally requires training for a skill in which you have no ranks. You gain a one-time +5 bonus to that skill check.

Intelligence Rerolls: You can spend a Harrow point to reroll any one Intelligence-based check. You must abide by the new result, even if it's lower (but you can spend more Harrow points to reroll again if you want to).

Focused Thought: You can reattempt a Knowledge check that you have previously failed. On this attempt, you gain a +10 bonus on the check.


3,801 to 3,850 of 5,161 << first < prev | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | next > last >>

2 people marked this as a favorite.
M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

Must clean. Clean the mess. My mess. I made this. I made me. I am the mess. The leech has my mind. Like shiv. Shiv was better. This isn't high. I am nothing. I am a mess. I must clean.


Male

Botting Lantressa!

ROUND FIVE!

Lantressa, concerned by the vampire's approach, attempts to blast him once more...

Scorching Ray 1: 1d20 + 5 - 4 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 5 - 4 + 1 + 2 = 24
Scorching Ray 2: 1d20 + 5 - 4 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 5 - 4 + 1 + 2 = 11
Scorching Ray 1 crit??: 1d20 + 5 - 4 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 5 - 4 + 1 + 2 = 21
Damage?!: 8d6 + 4 ⇒ (6, 2, 1, 1, 5, 3, 5, 6) + 4 = 33 Talk about a desperate strike!

The vampire howls as Lantressa's bolts scorch his face, throwing his arm up in pain. Callie and Korriban's blades still don't seem to have any effect, but that bolt of fire has scarred his face and clearly weakened him. He looks at Lantressa and sighs. "I should have drunk that extract...very well. Take the lad if you wish. This plague has run its course, in any event." He glances around at the others just in time to see Callie casting her spell on Ruan. "Oh, and you can take care of him. Well then. I wish you luck with Andaisin." Then he leaps through the air toward Lantressa--and as he leaps he seems to dissolve, becoming a swarm of chittering bats that flies past Lantressa and into the room beyond! They head for the open door leading toward the entrance.

Technically the bats flying away provokes (turning into them doesn't), but they're immune to weapon damage, so...Lantressa, Callie, and Korriban are up, if they want to do anything. If not, the bats will fly away.

Ruan's eyes open slowly, and he groans, as Callie applies a healing spell. "Callie...is that...you?"

Initiative?
Vampire
Teodor and Riceak (keep sweeping)
Callie, Korriban, Lantressa

Combat Map

Vitals:

Ramoska Arkminos: HP: 51 | AC/T/FF: 37/16/34 | Fort +14 Ref +17 Will +12; +2 vs. poison, +4 vs. channeled energy | CMD: 21 | DR 5/piercing and wood | Immune: undead traits | Resist: cold 10, electricity 10, sonic 10 | After penalty, scores are: INT 14, WIS 12, CHA 14


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive I feather step 90 minutes

Callie nods at Ruan. "It is. Your sister asked us to look for you. We just need to get you out of this ridiculous contraption. Let me try something... see if you can wriggle out after I do this..."

She casts liberating command upon Ruan.

He gets a +14 to an Escape Artist check and can try to free himself as an immediate action. I realize this may not be enough, but if this works, we don't have to risk hurting him by mucking about with the levers.


female | tiefling (pitborn) | sorcerer 8 |HP: 48/50 | AC:14 [17]; T:12; FF:13 [15]| CMB +4, CMD:16 | Fort:+6; Ref:+6; Will:+8 | Init:+2; Perc:+0 Volatile Conduit 1/1 | Beguiling Voice (dc 17) 3/8 | Fascinate (dc 20) 2/2 | Spells: lvl 1 7/8; lvl 2 4/7; lvl 3 3/6; lvl 4 3/4

Angry at the vampire's arrogance at leaping her direction and becoming a swarm of bats Lantressa gave the grouping of tiny creatures a vicious smile. She chanted several words and gestured sending a red bead out after the swarm and yelled, "Enjoy a parting gift you bastard!" The bead streaked out and exploded in the midst of the bats into a large fireball.

fireball (DC 18 ref): 7d8 ⇒ (2, 4, 7, 5, 3, 2, 5) = 28


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban sees the vampire leap at Lantressa and dissolve into bats. He watches as Callie saves Ruan and Lantressa shoots a fireball at the bats. He grips his rapier and yells out, "He just turned into bats, Blue! Tress is firing fireballs at them! Should I try to pursue?!"

Waiting for a response before taking my action.


female | tiefling (pitborn) | sorcerer 8 |HP: 48/50 | AC:14 [17]; T:12; FF:13 [15]| CMB +4, CMD:16 | Fort:+6; Ref:+6; Will:+8 | Init:+2; Perc:+0 Volatile Conduit 1/1 | Beguiling Voice (dc 17) 3/8 | Fascinate (dc 20) 2/2 | Spells: lvl 1 7/8; lvl 2 4/7; lvl 3 3/6; lvl 4 3/4

Even better I believe that's dbl dmg as it's an aoe on a swarm.


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

If that's true and it hits, you may have taken down a vampire almost single-handedly.


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive I feather step 90 minutes

"Can you fly?" Callie calls out to Korriban in reply. "Where's it headed?"


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban looks at the bats. "Maybe if I flap my arms hard enough! They're heading for the open door leading to the open door to the entrance!"


Male

Ruan wiggles desperately, trying to work his way free, but stops, panting. "Sorry...I'm still...too weak," he gasps. "But I can...show you how to...free me. What are you...doing here?"

Outside, Lantressa's fireball blasts the bats...and you all hear a psychic scream as they vanish in a blaze of fire!

COMBAT OVER!

Whether the vampire is truly gone or not, there's no evidence of him left...and Teodor and Riceak return to their normal minds.

GM Screen:

Ruan EA: 1d20 + 25 ⇒ (3) + 25 = 28


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive I feather step 90 minutes

Callie moves toward the levers. "What do I do?"

She adds, "To answer your question, we're here to rescue you, and to stop what appears to be a conspiracy of Urgathoans to take over the city..."

She calls out as she hears the psychic scream. "Everything ok out there?"


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

Teodor collapses to the floor, shoulders heaving with sobs.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban is shocked at the bats going out to a fireball. When all is silent, Korriban steps carefully to Lantressa as he watches the spot where they were. "Lantressa... that was... d**n... That was amazing. I... I think you may have killed him. Heh... again, remind me again to never get on your bad side." He thinks for a few moments before chuckling. Turning to Lantressa, he says, "Those beams of fire and that fireball are just like you... they're hot." The rogue gives a few chuckles before going silent.

When Callie calls out, Korriban shouts back. "The bats just got vaporized by a fireball... I think. I'm not seeing anything left. I think Lantressa killed him. I'm hoping that, anyways."

When he walks back into the room and sees Teodor on the floor sobbing, Korriban rushes to him. "Teodor? Teo? Are you okay? Look, whatever that vampire did to you, it's over. He's gone. Look, you're here. With your friends. Whatever you're going through, we're here for you."


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive I feather step 90 minutes

While following whatever instructions Ruan gives her, Callie looks over to Teodor as he begins sobbing, frowning in concern, then up as Korriban replies to her.

"Then, well done, Lantressa. We definitely couldn't have handled that without you." She says loudly enough for Lantressa to hear. "When we're in a pinch we work together pretty well." She shakes her head and says to the group. "I'm sorry I dived in. I just... seeing Ruan like this..." She continues to work to free him and doesn't finish her thought. "Hopefully we've almost got you out, friend."

Her hands full, she can't move over to Teodor but she says to him, in a more subdued voice.

"There is no shame in what he did to you, Teodor. It's not your fault. And as you have faith in endings, know too will this feeling end."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15

It's weird to roll Diplomacy on a fellow PC but I thought I may as well.


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

Teodor tries to control his sobbing. "These leeches...they take, they violate. Like back in Ustalav. It took me. We must find a way to end it."


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive I feather step 90 minutes

"Perfect bedfellows for the Lamms," Callie says darkly. "Hopefully Lantressa got it. If she didn't, we know now: kill it with fire."


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban frowns at Teodor's sobbing. "It's okay. This will end. The disease. These cultists. All of it. And I will make sure no other vampires will take over your mind. I promise."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
female | tiefling (pitborn) | sorcerer 8 |HP: 48/50 | AC:14 [17]; T:12; FF:13 [15]| CMB +4, CMD:16 | Fort:+6; Ref:+6; Will:+8 | Init:+2; Perc:+0 Volatile Conduit 1/1 | Beguiling Voice (dc 17) 3/8 | Fascinate (dc 20) 2/2 | Spells: lvl 1 7/8; lvl 2 4/7; lvl 3 3/6; lvl 4 3/4

Lantressa preened a little under the praise she got for killing the vampire. She looked at Korriban and cocked one hip before touch her rear with one finger and making a hissing sound, "Don't you know it Korriban." She smiled viciously, "And don't you forget it."

Turning her gaze to Callie Tressa responded, "Thanks Callie. And yes, burning things usually makes sure they're dead, or at least distracted enough not to be able to focus on you so you can make them dead."

She then turned her focus on Teodor and said in as comforting a tone as she could, "It's alright Teo, it's over now and we won." She sighed, "I just hope I actually killed it for good, I'd hate to have to watch my back for the rest of my life for a pissed off vampire."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

"These parasites are harder to destroy permanently than that. They are an infection, a disease, a F+&&ING ROT! Just one could lay waste to several villages, bleeding them dry, turning them against each other! SPREADING THEIR FILTH!" Teodor is sweaty, short of breath, and wild-eyed. He makes minimal effort to stand. His hands clench and influence. "F@+*. It took my mind. I need to get wasted ..."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive I feather step 90 minutes

Callie sees Teo shake, and hears his last comment. I know how that feels, she thinks, and because she knows how it feels, she knows it wouldn't help to say that. She didn't know him enough to know what to say, but said something anyway because Callie didn't know how not to talk.

"That's one thing you could choose to do... or given the leech was helping Lamm and the Urgathoans, we could finish clearing out this place and finding Lamm. Ending them will end his particular plans for now at least. Did that guy you were interrogating mention notes hidden back in that other laboratory? Maybe we should go look for them."


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

Teodor's head snaps to Callie. "Yes. You're right. I can get wasted afterwards. Let's see if we can help more." Teodor stands finally. "Could we not mention the parasite's control of me to my sister's. They were too young to remember life in Ustalav."


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17
Lantressa Darksong wrote:
Lantressa preened a little under the praise she got for killing the vampire. She looked at Korriban and cocked one hip before touch her rear with one finger and making a hissing sound, "Don't you know it Korriban." She smiled viciously, "And don't you forget it."

Korriban chuckles. "Oh, believe me, my lady. I know it and I'll never forget it." His chuckles turn into some light laughter. "Can't believe you responded to that. That was a horrible line. One of my worst, easily."

Teodor Niculescu wrote:
"These parasites are harder to destroy permanently than that. They are an infection, a disease, a F$!$ING ROT! Just one could lay waste to several villages, bleeding them dry, turning them against each other! SPREADING THEIR FILTH!" Teodor is sweaty, short of breath, and wild-eyed. He makes minimal effort to stand. His hands clench and influence. "F!*#. It took my mind. I need to get wasted ..."

Korriban watches as Teodor freaks out and then calm down. Korriban chuckles. "Yeah. I think we all need something to take the edge off. But, I'll leave the drinking to you. I'll find something else."

Callie Cobalt wrote:
"That's one thing you could choose to do... or given the leech was helping Lamm and the Urgathoans, we could finish clearing out this place and finding Lamm. Ending them will end his particular plans for now at least. Did that guy you were interrogating mention notes hidden back in that other laboratory? Maybe we should go look for them."

Korriban nods at Callie's suggestion. However, a thought comes to him. "Guys... this may not be over quite yet. Lamm may be gone for now and the vampire may be dead. But, there's still the person in charge here... the High Priestess, Andaisan. There'll still be trouble if she's not taken out. She has to be somewhere down here. The elevator's the only way up and we've been told that there's no passage to the outside."

Teodor Niculescu wrote:
Teodor's head snaps to Callie. "Yes. You're right. I can get wasted afterwards. Let's see if we can help more." Teodor stands finally. "Could we not mention the parasite's control of me to my sister's. They were too young to remember life in Ustalav."

Korriban nods at Teodor's request. "Of course. They will never know. You have my word."


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive I feather step 90 minutes

"It didn't even occur to me to say anything," Callie said.


Male

Man, I should have busy weekends more often! Look at all that great roleplaying! *swoon*

But I am back!

With Ruan's instruction, and no evidence that the vampire might come back any time soon, you're able to extricate him from this surgical device/torture instrument without running any risk of injuring him further. The young, good-looking man sits up weakly.

"Thank you, Callie...I can't believe you're actually here! And I can't believe you managed to chase off that beast..." He shudders. "Freedom seems surreal. But you're here, I'm safe...how is my sister? What are you doing here?!"

As you gather yourselves up and look about the room, it occurs to you that there may be useful tools in here...the alchemical equipment lying about is probably worth a fair amount of coin, and you see six clearly labeled vials of acid. There are also several notebooks that, when opened, contain neatly organized notes on the development and spread of blood veil...those could be useful!

You can also make Perception checks with a +10 bonus; otherwise, tell me what you want to grab and then it's up to you where to go next! The obvious way further is to the east in the main room where you fought Rolth.

Perception DC 30:

As you look around the room, you spot the faintest outline of a rectangle--a secret door to the west!


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

perception: 1d20 + 11 + 10 ⇒ (12) + 11 + 10 = 33"Gather all this, especially paperwork." Teodor still looks around like a scared animal. "Secret door over there."


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban looks at Ruan. "We're here to save you and to end the plague. These "doctors" are actually cultists of the Pallid Princess." The rogue nods when Teodor points out the secret door. "I'm on it. Let's wait until we deal with everyone here before we take everything that isn't nailed down. I also think we should get Ruan out of here before we face Andaisan."

He sneaks to the door and checks it out.

Stealth: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27
Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 16
Perception vs traps: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (6) + 12 = 18


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive I feather step 90 minutes

While Korriban deals with the door Teodor found, Callie scoops notebooks into her handy haversack.


Male

THe door Korriban is investigating proves neither trapped nor locked, and (hearing nothing from the other side), he pushes it open. The room beyond is dusty, and several open trunks spill books across the room, some apparently quite old. The tomes stand in orderly stacks and haphazard heaps, invading nearly every foot of floor space save that occupied by an elegant, black-canopied bed.

One trunk alone, at the foot of the bed, is shut, and closed with a heavy padlock. Disable Device to open.

Ryan, moving around feebly, says, "Yes...Urgathoa...I heard some of those priests use that name for her." When Korriban opens the door into the next room, he blanches. "I think...I think that was that monster's bedchamber. Not that he slept much...but he would retire there sometimes. Please--can you help me get out of here? I don't want to stay down here a moment longer than I must!"

Riceak, clearing his threat, speaks up. "If you want, I can see our buddy here out and make sure everything's ok upstairs. It's your choice, really."

Perception DC 12:
Examining the bed, you realize that it's a "dummy" of sorts--the stretched black satin sheets don't cover a mattress, but an empty frame, beneath which sits a narrow coffin filled with earth!

Appraise DC 12:
Several of the books lying around here look like they could be valuable, albeit fragile.


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20

Korriban is surprised by the contents of the room. "Wow... that is a lot of books."/b] He enters the room, looking around. When he comes to the bed, he notices something odd. [b]"Guys. This bed doesn't have a mattress. The sheets are stretched over an empty frame. There's a coffin with dirt underneath it!"

Appraise: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18

He looks around at the books. "Some of these books are valuable. However, they're also pretty fragile. So, we're going to have to be careful with them."

When Riceak makes his offer to escort Ruan, Korriban bites his lip in thought. "Ruan does need to get upstairs. However, if Riceak heads up on the elevator, then we have no way to get up. We also need to get rid of this coffin. It may be a way to prevent him from coming back." He then proceeds to pick the lock of the trunk.

Disable Device (masterwork thieves tools): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (13) + 12 = 25


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive I feather step 90 minutes

If he lets her, Callie puts her hand on Ruan's shoulder. "Hey, we know you've had a real rough time. Believe us, none of us want to stay here long. As Korriban noted, we can't let anyone leave without trapping us down here, but why don't you go to the entry room with Riceak and wait. You can rest a little and get your bearings. If we find any more test subjects, we'll send them to you. Then we'll all go up together when we're done."


Male

Ruan nods, still looking shaken. "I...thank you, Callie. And you--Riceak, right?" The armored man nods. "I don't want anything other than to get out of here, but of course we can't let you get trapped down here. We'll wait for you near the exit." Riceak gives you all a wry salute and heads out with the shaken young bard, one hand protectively hovering near his sword's hilt.

Korriban works the padlock for several minutes, but is unable to trip it--it's a well-made device. He suspects that he could get it if he kept working at it, but that would take a while...time that you can't be certain you have.

You can open it by taking 20, but that does take several minutes.

If you choose to take 20:
Korriban wrestles with the lock for several more minutes, and finally manages to find the right teeth, popping it open with a click. Lifting the lid, he's greeted by a fascinating (if slightly nauseating) sight: several padded niches and trays, each holding dozens of tiny, crystalline vials. There must be over 100 vials in all (and they're finely worked enough that you suspect they're worth money), but the majority of them are filled with what you can only assume are tiny amounts of blood. This must be the vampire's lunchbox...

At the very bottom of the chest is a worn gold amulet, clearly once engraved with a humanoid figure but now so worn out as to be completely androgynous and unrecognizable.

There doesn't seem to be anything else in this room. Which means that the only way forward...must be the doors leading to the east from the room with the vats of blood veil.


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban frowns at the padlock. He turns to the others. "This is a well made padlock. I can continue working on it and pop it open. However, that will require some time. Time that we might not have. Thoughts?"


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive I feather step 90 minutes

"We already slept overnight in between exploring this place--if time was of the essence about something, we blew that already. Besides, we've found Ruan, rescued the other prisoners, possibly killed the vampire, and chased off Rolf, who is well ahead of us with his spell no matter what we do. I'm not sure there's a better way to spend the time than be sure the vampire's experiments--whatever he's got back there--are put to an end for good."


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban nods. "We still need to check those doors going from the room with the vats of disease. That may be the way to Andaisan. We don't need to open this now. We can always return to this afterwards. We're also going to need to find Rolth. Wherever he is."


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

Teodor will take the time Korriban uses to unlock the pad to carefully search the books.


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive I feather step 90 minutes

"I've obviously been wrong several times, but the way they talk about Andaisin, she's the brains of the operation, and probably not actually here. Or if she was, well... if Lamm can dimension door out of here, I'm sure their leader can beat a retreat through less than typical means as well. If she had been here, and she was smart, she'd be long gone. I'd rather finish what we started here, personally, before moving on."

She shrugs. "I really hope she did, but we're not sure if Lantressa really killed the vampire. What if he comes back to whatever is in this room while we're elsewhere? I've given my opinion. You're the only one with the skills to open this thing, though, so it's up to you."


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban snorts. "Or Andaisan is going to stay behind to get her spoo~ky revenge on us. A last man duel type of thing that I read in books from time to time." Korriban sighs and looks at the chest. "Whether Andaisan is still here or not, let's get this stuff in case the vampire comes back. Watch my back. I'm going in."

Taking 20. Hopefully I can do this quickly and we can still find Andaisan. It would be really bad if she managed to get away.

Korriban finally manages to pop the lock. He's surprised by the contents. "Guys. Look. About a hundred of crystal vials. Most of them are filled with a little blood. This must be the vampire's lunchbox. And look..." He carefully puts his hand into the chest and pulls out the amulet. "There's this gold amulet. I can't recognize this humanoid figure, though."


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive I feather step 90 minutes

"We should show the vials to the Pharasmans; if the blood has samples of the plague they might be able to use them to devise a cure. As for the amulet, let me look at it..."

Callie examines it with detect magic. If it has an aura, she tries to analyze it.

Spellcraft: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (17) + 12 = 29


Male

Examining them, both the vials of blood and the amulet appear to be mundane. The vials and the amulet are certainly worth money, but otherwise are not of note.

Teodor, searching through the books, finds that they are largely mundane books. They're a mix of a few religious books--from widely varied religions--lore on vampires and vampirism, and texts on healing and medicine, many of which are quite old. None particularly stand out, though quite a few are valuable.

Where to next?


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

"This one fancies itself as rational still. That makes it more dangerous."


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban says, "Duly noted, Teo. So, to the last set of doors, then?"


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive I feather step 90 minutes

Callie nods. "Lead the way."

Should I put the vials and amulet in the haversack for now, or...?


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban nods and leads the way to the remaining unopened doors, carefully moving so as not to make too much noise. He also keeps an eye out for any danger that could have snuck in on them.

Stealth: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13
Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (7) + 10 = 17

I'm good with either option. However, if we put the vials in the haversack, would they break against each other?


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive I feather step 90 minutes

Handy haversack is an extra dimensional space, nothing bangs together. :)


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Then go for it! We take away the vampire's food if he comes back. We should also destroy the coffin afterwards.


Male

Callie stows everything valuable in her handy haversack, and you make your way back into the room with the vats of blood veil. I realized that you technically did not explore the two rooms to the south--G9 and G10--but a quick look reveals that they are storerooms, currently unoccupied and without any items of interest. I'd rather move us along! The two doors leading to the east, off of the catwalks, are spread about ten feet apart, but Korriban's quick examination shows them both to be roughly identical. They're heavy wooden doors and firmly latched, but neither appears to be locked or trapped.

Pressing his ear to the door, Korriban hears someone exhorting others:

"...and though we have not heard battle for some time, I doubt not that the heretical invaders must be out there still! Hold the line, companions. We are the last defense between these warriors of so-called righteousness and Lady Andaisin! Hold the line!"

Updated map is here. Arrange yourselves as you like, and then...going in?


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

Teodor tries again. Bluff: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (11) + 20 = 31

"She's here! Lady Andaisin is here! She's routed the self-righteous fools!"


Human Bard - Arcane Duelist 9 [ HP: 57/57 AC:21 T:13 FF:19 | CMD 22 | Fort +7, Ref +10, Will +8 | Init +4 Perc: +8 | 1st/day 7/7, 2nd/day 5/5 3rd/day 4/4; Perf rds 24/25 | Disruptive I feather step 90 minutes

I appreciate you moving us along on the rooms not of interest.

BTW, heroism lasts 70 minutes. I don't know how exactly long the take 20 took, but if it was an hour or less, Korriban should still have it for the next 10 minutes or so.

Callie shrugs and whispers. "Nice of them to wait for us."

She pulls out her wand of cat's grace and casts the spell on herself. If anyone else wants the spell cast on them, and there is time to do it, Callie will offer to do so. If not, she puts the wand back in her haversack.


Male

Heroism is definitely still going!

Callie casts a spell from her wand (possibly more than once) as Teodor attempts to trick the cultists into relaxing. Korriban, still with his ear pressed to the door, hears:

"Lady Andaisin?! There?! How is this possible?!"

"Doubting fool! Through Urgathoa, ALL THINGS are possible! Let us go to celebrate the victory!"

Since it's not been 24 hours I'll wait for people to add any additional actions they want to take to get set up, but...the cultists inside are unprepared and seem likely to open the door and set off a surprise round for you guys!

GM Screen:

Sense Motive DC 21: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4
Sense Motive DC 21: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16
Sense Motive DC 21: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10
Sense Motive DC 21: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13
Sense Motive DC 21: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban hears the talking behind the door and whispers out what he's hearing to the others. Teodor then shouts a lie. Korriban lets him do it, figuring out his plan. When Callie begins to cast a spell from her wand, he whispers, "What spell is that?" When she answers, Korriban raises a hand, showing that he would like the spell as well. When he hears them shouting in response, Korriban whispers to his friends, "Get ready! They're coming!" He then steps back, goes into his stance, and readies his weapon to stab into the first cultist to open the door.

Readied Attack (fighting defensively, heroism, cat's grace): 1d20 + 11 - 2 - 2 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 11 - 2 - 2 + 2 = 22
Damage ([i: 1d6 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 4 + 2 = 8
Sneak Attack: 2d6 ⇒ (1, 3) = 4

My current AC is 23.

3,801 to 3,850 of 5,161 << first < prev | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Dying City: DM Norv's "Curse of the Crimson Throne" All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.