The Dying City: DM Norv's "Curse of the Crimson Throne"

Game Master The Norv

The classic story of intrigue, magic, and strife in Korvosa, and of five figures caught in the balance of greater forces than they know.

Current Date: Starday, 10th of Lamashan, 4708

Current Map | Flex Time | Loot Tracker | Floorplan for the Rosa in Fiore

Harrow Points and Uses:

Current Harrow Points:
Callie: 3
Korriban: 2
Lantressa: 4
Matoska: 2
Teodor: 3

Flash of Insight: You can spend a Harrow point to attempt a skill check that normally requires training for a skill in which you have no ranks. You gain a one-time +5 bonus to that skill check.

Intelligence Rerolls: You can spend a Harrow point to reroll any one Intelligence-based check. You must abide by the new result, even if it's lower (but you can spend more Harrow points to reroll again if you want to).

Focused Thought: You can reattempt a Knowledge check that you have previously failed. On this attempt, you gain a +10 bonus on the check.


251 to 300 of 5,161 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>

Male

As the knife plops into the water, the crocodile turns its yellow glare on Raina. Then Teodor weaves his way into the room, and with his presence comes a warmth that slows Korriban's bleeding and gives him the energy to haul himself back on his feet. As Gadriel darts toward him, mist rolls out from the child's steps, and fills the southern end of the room. The whole chamber is now filled with a roiling mixture of silver-gray fog and unnatural darkness...

Still have Adoros to go this round, then Korriban and Imperia before the baddies!

Vital Stats:

Gaedren Lamm: HP 6, AC/T/FF 11/11/10, Fort -1, Ref +5 (also has evasion), Will+7, CMD 12
Tiefling: HP 16, AC/T/FF [14]/[11]/13, Fort +2, Ref [+3], Will +1, CMD [12] Rounds remaining on tanglefoot bag: 5.
Gobbleguts: HP 21, AC/T/FF 14/10/13, Fort +6, Ref +4, Will +2, CMD 18 (22 vs. trip)


Male Human (Chelish(Nobility)) Cavalier of the Cockatrice 4
Spoiler:
hp 40/40 // AC 18/T 12/FF 16 // F +7/R +3/W +1 // Init +3 // Perc +3

Yeah, sorry about the lateness. Been sick the last few days with the flu and it grew into a 102, almost 103, degree fever yesterday. I was out of commission for most of the day.

Round 1

The familiar crack and hiss of his prized possession still filling the air, Adoros growls as he enters the room. That Lamm contemptuously throws the gun into a pile of trash makes the Chelish man's ire grow stronger, "Curse you, Lamm! That is a delicate and expensive weapon, not some piece of garbage to toss about!" As the huge gator suddenly surges up from the water and takes a bite out of Korriban, Adoros steps forward in defense of the Varisian.

Greatsword Attack vs Gobbleguts: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16
Greatsword Damage: 2d6 + 4 ⇒ (2, 5) + 4 = 11

Not sure if the column is in the way or not of my attack vs Gobbleguts, if so, ignore the roll.


Female Human (Chelish) Conjurer (Teleportation Focused School) 2
Quick Stats:
Init +8 | AC 12, t 12, ff 10 (16/12/14 Mage Armor) | 14/14 hp | Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +2 | Perception +3

Round 2

"Korriban!" - Imperia screams, seeing her friend being viciously attacked by the giant alligator. When the acquatic monster releases his hold and slumps back into the pool, she gets a good look at Korriban's mauled leg, and her face pales with dread.

With all her companions stepping up to save Korriban, Imperia doesn't waste any time, and joins the group effort.

Despite the magical darkness and thick mist pervading the room, Imperia strives to pinpoint the position of the large alligator... And when she notices the faint glimmer of his eyes in the water, she acts on impulse. Within a moment, the shining tip of her loaded crossbow is lined up with the alligator's eyes, ready to be discharged on the unsuspecting beast.

Standard action to attack the square where the alligator was before the mist rose (here's hoping he didn't move! ^_^), move action to reload crossbow. After all of that, 5-foot-step toward the door.

Crossbow Attack: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15
Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 8

Wow, I think Imperia actually managed to hit Gobbly square in the eye! And here you see how blind luck can be as efficent as actual talent, in the right situation! ^_^

Gobbly is still alive! But the eagle can take one final action before her time is up. Let's see if she can sink the croc...


Female Summoned Monster
Quick Stats:
Init +2 | AC 14, t 13, ff 12 | 5/5 hp | Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +2 | Perception +9

"আপনার আক্রমণ ধরুন! আহত যুবক সাহায্য, জল পুলে দৈত্য বধ!" - Imperia frantically instructs the Celestial Eagle, pointing insistently at Korriban, and then at the badly wounded beast.

Celestial:
"Hold your attack! Help the wounded young man, kill the monster in the pool of water!"

With one last, hard look at her former target, the mighty bird of prey turns around in mid-flight, and swoops down on the alligator.

Full attack on the alligator. The eagle has Darkvision, so she shouldn't have problems hitting. At the end of the round, she vanishes.

Attack (Bite): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20
Attack (Talon): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23
Critical Confirmation (Talon): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23
Attack (Talon): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10

Damage (Bite): 1d4 ⇒ 1
Damage (Talon): 1d4 ⇒ 4
Possible Critical Damage (Talon): 1d4 ⇒ 4
Damage (Talon): 1d4 ⇒ 2

HOLY S**T, she ripped him to shreds! O.O'

EDIT - Didn't realize I forgot to roll miss chance for Imperia and the eagle, so I'll roll everything below, for Imperia as well (Imperia has 50% miss chance, Eagle has 25% miss chance). High=Hit, Low=Miss.

Miss Chance, Imperia: 1d100 ⇒ 99 - Hit!
Miss Chance, Eagle Attack 1: 1d100 ⇒ 94 - Hit!
Miss Chance, Eagle Attack 2: 1d100 ⇒ 73 - Hit!
Miss Chance, Eagle Attack 3: 1d100 ⇒ 14 - Miss!

The Dice... The rolls... THEY DON'T MAKE ANY SENSE! Madness! Madness, I tells ya! :o


Male

Adoros's blade splashes into the water just short of Gobbleguts's head (It doesn't prevent your attack, but it does give him cover, which results in a miss. Sorry. :S) Just as the crocodile turns to him, you hear Imperia's frantic shouts, the crossbow twangs, and the eagle dives with a shriek. Gobbleguts roars and writhes in pain and rage, a crossbow bolt seeming to sprout from his eye as the eagle rips his back to shreds. The eagle then vanishes in a shimmer of golden light.

A whopping 17 damage to Gobbleguts means he's not quite dead, but he's close! And still Korriban's turn to go before his...

Vital Stats:

Gaedren Lamm: HP 6, AC/T/FF 11/11/10, Fort -1, Ref +5 (also has evasion), Will+7, CMD 12
Tiefling: HP 16, AC/T/FF [14]/[11]/13, Fort +2, Ref [+3], Will +1, CMD [12] Rounds remaining on tanglefoot bag: 4.
Gobbleguts: HP 4, AC/T/FF 14/10/13, Fort +6, Ref +4, Will +2, CMD 18 (22 vs. trip)


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban screams out as Gobblegut chomps into his other leg. "Not again!" He feels the healing touch of Groteus washing over him. He screams, "F@#k you! That's it! I'm turning you into a pair of boots!" He moves back, talking to everyone as he passes.

@Adoros
"Adoros, the tiefling is in that unnatural darkness. Get him! But we need him alive for interrogation. I slowed him down with a sticky bag." He then points in the tiefling's last known direction.

@Gadriel
"Thanks for the cover, Gadriel. You're a life saver! I owe you a meal and I will feed Abu Lamm's eyeballs right out of my hand."

@Raina
"Thanks, Raina! I owe you one for keeping the gator's attention."

@Imperia
"Imperia! Thank you so, so much! I probably looked kind of stupid in front of you, huh? That's what I get for running in." He gives her a weak smile and light pat on her shoulder.

He stops behind Imperia, falling onto a knee on the boardwalk. "Anyone who can heal me, I'm ready!"

Round 2 Actions
Move 30' back to entrance of room.


Male

With a hiss, the alligator lunges towards Korriban as the young man staggers away, but with his bleeding wounds to his back, he barely manages to get up high enough to grip the boards and snap at him, let alone get purchase and make the bite. Adoros watches as the alligator, with a growl, slips into the water and disappears to the north, the tails swishing through the water as he propels himself away.

You can hear--though you can't see--Gaedren cursing, across the room. "F#+#ing darkness, and now this fog..." you hear him cross some boards, then you hear him growl, "Wherever you are, die!"

A crossbow quarrel flies across the room, grazing Gadriel's shoulder to open a gash. The girl can't hold back a cry of pain, and Abu snarls. Gaedren laughs. "Got one of 'em!" Edit--sorry, forgot to mention: 1 damage.

Suddenly, the light around Korriban dims. You can hear the tiefling moving, but when you squint ahead you can't see him at all. "Think yourself a knight-errant, do you?" he asks coldly. "Come and find me, then..." He's made a stealth check--leaving him on the map for ease of reference.

Perception DC 14:
You can hear (and see, if you're close enough), the alligator lurking under the north end of the platform. It doesn't look like it's ready to fight...more like it's retreated to lick its wounds.

Perception DC 25:
You manage to dimly make out the tiefling, poised to spring, next to one of the tables straight ahead of Adoros.

Anyone moves next to the tiefling:
Suddenly, a shape shoots out of the darkness and the tiefling lunges toward you, his wicked blade aimed at your heart. See the dice for his readied attack. If you spotted him, subtract 2 from his attack and apply it to your AC; otherwise, it's as written and against Flat-Footed. 4 damage, 9 if you didn't see him, if he hits.

DM dice:

Gobbly chooses, 1=Korriban, 2=Adoros: 1d2 ⇒ 1
Gobbly climb: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9
Gobbly stealth: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (1) + 13 = 14
Gaedren chooses target (1=Adoros, then moving clockwise): 1d5 ⇒ 2
Gaedren's attack: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17
Gaedren's miss chance (low misses, 50%): 1d100 ⇒ 52
Gaedren's damage: 1d4 ⇒ 1
Tiefling's stealth: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25
Tiefling's attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11
Tiefling's damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
Possible sneak attack damage: 1d6 ⇒ 5

Vital Stats:

Gaedren Lamm: HP 6, AC/T/FF 11/11/10, Fort -1, Ref +5 (also has evasion), Will+7, CMD 12
Tiefling: HP 16, AC/T/FF [14]/[11]/13, Fort +2, Ref [+3], Will +1, CMD [12] Rounds remaining on tanglefoot bag: 5.
Gobbleguts: HP 4, AC/T/FF 14/10/13, Fort +6, Ref +4, Will +2, CMD 18 (22 vs. trip)

And we're back to Raina, Teodor, and Adoros!


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

"Heeheehee!" Teodor giggles with delight. "What a croc of s%&~, ay, old father?" Teodor approaches Lamm with a smile. "I love you, Lamm. And so does Groetus."

The swing isn't graceful but it strikes the old man in the head and he falls into a clump.

attack: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13damage: 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

well, Lamm's dead. Unless Teo just knocked him out. And I thought Gobblegut had 4 hp.


Male

Ooops, you're right--sorry, copy/pasted what I thought were the updated stats from where I keep them. He does have 4 hp; I've edited the previous post.

Teodor's blow glances on Lamm's head, opening a massive gash, and the man starts to collapse. But then he staggers back upright, glaring. "No," he growls. "Not here, not now. And certainly not for you, you strung-out addict."

His rogue talent "resiliency" has kicked in; he's at -2 hp and 6 temp hp.


Female Human Witch 3
Stats:
hp 7/20 | AC 16 | FF 14 | T 12 | CMD 12 | F+2 / R+4 / W+3 | Init +2 | Per +5

Unsure of where the croc has gone, she follows Korriban back. "Here, we can help now." Abu then scampers to Korriban's shoulder while Gadriel hesitantly touches his shoulder. A flash of energy fills him, and the bleeding gashes on his leg from the vicious croc fade to mere scratches. "There, now we finish this."

Gadriel moves back towards Korriban and cast Cure Light Wounds
Cure Light Wounds: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9


Male Human (Chelish(Nobility)) Cavalier of the Cockatrice 4
Spoiler:
hp 40/40 // AC 18/T 12/FF 16 // F +7/R +3/W +1 // Init +3 // Perc +3

Round 2

Perception: 1d20 ⇒ 5

With Gobbleguts turning tail to swim away, Adoros lets an almost inaudible sigh escape his lips. He wouldn't be facing those sharp teeth that nearly took Korriban's leg off. Between the mist and the darkness, the Chelish man is next to blind as he slowly slides forward, his sword held in a ready position, "I can't see anything in this murk. Where is this tiefling of your's, Korriban?" Adoros keeps the opening down into the water below beside him as he moves, using that as a point of reference.

Suddenly from the shadow, the tiefling flies out with his blade ready to stab Adoros in the vital bits. Too slow to react, Adoros is only saved by the craftsmanship of his armor when the tiefling's blade tip catches on one of the scales and slides off without finding purchase. Adoros quickly gets over his initial shock as he growls and swings his greatsword toward the direction that the tiefling attacked from, "You'd best die by my blade, knave, else Lady Imperia shall probably be less quick and forgiving of someone who had planned to buy her sister into slavery."

Greatsword Attack vs Tiefling: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16
Miss Chance: 1d100 ⇒ 66
Greatsword Damage: 2d6 + 4 ⇒ (2, 4) + 4 = 10

Move Action: Moving 15' forward to keep the north path somewhat blocked.
Standard Action: Attack the Tiefling as he tries to gut me.


Female Human Brawler 2
Spoiler:
HP: 22/22 // AC: 15 (16 CE), touch: 12 (13 CE), flat-footed: 13 // Fort: +5, Ref: +6, Will: +1 // Init: +2 // Perception: +6

Raina offers Korriban a half-assed salute as he passes her; she's busy trying to make heads or tails of where anything was between the shadows and the smoke. "You owe me a new knife, Korriban," she says with a grin. "Maybe one with a crocodile-skin hilt. Sounds fancy."

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23

"Oh, keep an eye out. Gobbleguts is hiding underneath the platform up here," she calls out a warning, although belatedly realises that nobody can see anyway. Disappearing into the mists, Raina tries to grab the injured croc by the tail, but the slippery beast swims out of the way. "Dammit."

Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

Not sure where it is exactly, but presume I move towards it.


Male

Hiding under the platform. I made him visible again since he was spotted. We have Imperia and Korriban left to go in the top of then ew round!


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Feeling fully rejuvenated, Korriban stands tall. Nodding to Gadriel and Abu in thanks, he runs out. He takes up a position behind Raina. "Don't worry, Rai-Rai. I got you covered on your knife." He keeps an eye on where Raina pointed out the gator.

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25

I'm not going to use my Harrow Point yet. Korriban will move to the square behind Raina. I'm on my phone so I can't move my token.


Female Human (Chelish) Conjurer (Teleportation Focused School) 2
Quick Stats:
Init +8 | AC 12, t 12, ff 10 (16/12/14 Mage Armor) | 14/14 hp | Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +2 | Perception +3

When Korriban gets past her, Imperia looks him over carefully with a concerned expression - "Korriban, your leg! I-It looks bad... That cursed alligator! But don't worry, I'm sure Teodor will heal your wounds!" - she hurriedly looks around for the mad cleric, the fog all but blocking her vision.

Fortunately, help comes swiftly, even if from another source, and Imperia is greatly relieved to see her friend up and running again. She gives Gadriel and Abu a look of admiration. 'I didn't think... She has such intriguing powers! I'd be delighted to speak with her about that, when we have the time...'

Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5

Obviously she can't see anything in this fog! If, thanks to Raina's warning, she can guess the alligator's position, then she attacks him (read below), otherwise she delays until after the bad guys have moved (disregard what's below), and I'll post her actions then! ^_^

Even with the thick magical mist still pervading the room, thanks to Raina's warning and a bit of luck Imperia is able to spot the large alligator once more.
Fearing it may very well come out of his hiding spot and attack his friends again, she lines up another shot with her trusty crossbow, and pulls the trigger.

Crossbow Attack: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16
Miss Chance: 1d100 ⇒ 64 Hit!
Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 3

If she attacks the 'gator (see above), she 5-foot-steps to her left, then fires (standard action) and reloads (move action).


Male

Since Gobbleguts takes up so much of the platform, I'm going to say that Raina's warning is sufficient to aim in his general direction.

You hear the alligator bellow in pain as your bolt just barely strikes him. There's a whoosh of water as the gator boils out of its hiding place in a last, desperate attempt to strike at its tormentor. Assuming Korriban and Raina want to make attacks of opp on it...it has +2 to AC from being down in the water. Raina's heel and Korriban's rapier swing down towards it as they hear it whoosh pass, but both miss. Hissing, the gator lunges out of the water at Imperia, its jaws snapping, but it can't find purchase on the platform.

Lamm squares off against Teodor. The blood streaming down his face and the wild look in his eyes make him seem at least as crazed as the Groetan priest. "I'm not going to make it easy on you!" he snarls, stepping back and firing off another crossbow bolt. This one buries itself in Teodor's thigh, fortunately avoiding any major arteries. For 3 damage!

The tiefling lets out a gasp of pain as Adoros's greatsword opens a wound in his side. With a snarl, he slashes his sword at the cavalier, but falls short of his mark. Realizing he's not in a good position, the tiefling turns and bolts...only to have Adoros's blade cut him down mid-stride. I'm assuming you want to take the AoO; if not, see the spoiler.

Adoros does not attack of opp the tiefling:
The tiefling turns and leaps, unsteadily but sturdily, across the gap between the two sides of the platform, only to find himself facing the mad priest of Groetus. He lands in the space between Lamm and Teodor.

DM Dice:

Raina AoO: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15
Korriban AoO: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
Gobbly Climb: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10
Gaedren Attack: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23
Gaedren damage: 1d4 ⇒ 3
Tiefling Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21
Tiefling damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
Tiefling miss chance: 1d100 ⇒ 17
Tiefling Acrobatics check: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17
Adoros AoO: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21
Adoros Miss chance: 1d100 ⇒ 44
Adoros damage: 2d6 + 4 ⇒ (2, 5) + 4 = 11

Vital Stats, assuming Adoros attacks the tiefling:

Gaedren Lamm: HP -2 (6 temp hp), AC/T/FF 11/11/10, Fort -1, Ref +5 (also has evasion), Will+7, CMD 12
Tiefling: HP -5, AC/T/FF [14]/[11]/13, Fort +2, Ref [+3], Will +1, CMD [12] Rounds remaining on tanglefoot bag: 3.
Gobbleguts: HP 1, AC/T/FF 14/10/13, Fort +6, Ref +4, Will +2, CMD 18 (22 vs. trip)


Male Human (Chelish(Nobility)) Cavalier of the Cockatrice 4
Spoiler:
hp 40/40 // AC 18/T 12/FF 16 // F +7/R +3/W +1 // Init +3 // Perc +3

Round 3

Of course Adoros would take the AoO. He's not dead yet... only close. Perfect place for questioning once we heal him.

Adoros quickly lashes out at the fleeing tiefling with his sword. A spray of blood follows as the man slumps to the ground, "Korriban, I think your tiefling is now very open to the idea of questioning, especially after we save his miserable life which will need to be done fairly quickly if you want to get anything useful out of him." The Chelish man continues slowly walking forward through the gloom in the direction he last heard Lamm's voice, "Lamm! Your reign of suffering ends today!" As the old man appears from the shadows, Adoros roars as he lifts his sword high and brings it down with all his might.

Greatsword Attack vs Lamm: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14
Miss Chance if needed to attack while in shadow but against someone not: 1d100 ⇒ 35
Greatsword Damage: 2d6 + 4 ⇒ (2, 1) + 4 = 7

Move Action: Moving 20' south around the ramp to be diagonal to Lamm. Someone will need to move me on the map, can't access Google Docs at work and phone won't let me move icons.
Standard Action: Attack Lamm.


Female Human Witch 3
Stats:
hp 7/20 | AC 16 | FF 14 | T 12 | CMD 12 | F+2 / R+4 / W+3 | Init +2 | Per +5

"We think that is enough." With a wave of her small hand, the mists quickly dissipate, fading into the water in swirls. Gadriel then walks back into the room, eyes intent on ensuring Lamm cannot escape...

Gadriel dismisses the Obscuring Mist, then walks back into the room.


Male

Whoops, should have mentioned...when the toddling went down, the darkness disappeared. Can't take it off the map from my phone, but it's gone.

Lamm screams as he goes down under Adoros's blade. As the mist and darkness dissipate, you can see him lying on the walkway. "Bloody...prick..." he gasps, expiring. "Should've just...killed you...like I wanted....to..."

He collapses.


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban curses at the miss. He then begins to move to Lamm. But hearing Imperia in danger, he stops. He looks to Lamm. Then at the gator. His eyes harden, his decision made. He then runs out of the darkness, drawing a flask of acid from his belt pouch. He then attacks Gobblegut, protecting Imperia. "Get away from her!"

Attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11
Acid Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 4

Korriban wil move forward two squares and throw a flask of acid at the gator's lower left square, to hit it and avoid any PCs to be hit by splash damage. It hits the Touch AC, so I think I got him. Also, I deleted the darkness shape for you, Norv.


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

damage: 2d10 + 6 ⇒ (4, 1) + 6 = 11

Teodor drops his morningstar and shield and retrieves his Lord's holy weapon, bringing the heavy flail down hard on his unmoving body. "ALL THINGS END!"


Female Human (Chelish) Conjurer (Teleportation Focused School) 2
Quick Stats:
Init +8 | AC 12, t 12, ff 10 (16/12/14 Mage Armor) | 14/14 hp | Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +2 | Perception +3

I'm assuming the fight is over?... And the victory is ours! Now, to wrap things up a bit. ^_^

Imperia smirks when she hears her bolt strike true, confident that final hit was enough to put down the huge alligator for good...

... Only to stumble backward against the wall in fear when the dying beast makes its way toward her, its giant jaws open and ready to strike - '... Is this what Zellara warned me about? The terrible price I may have to pay?...' - only to fall just short of legs, unable to climb the platform.

Moments later, Korriban comes to her aid and dispatches the alligator with a well placed throw of an acid vial, finally ending the savage beast's threat, and likely avenging the many victims it claimed over the years.

Her heart still beating madly in her chest, she impulsively steps closer to Korriban and grips his arm - "That thing... When it came for me I-I really thought... Thank you, truly, thank you!" - she looks away from the pool of water, and slowly raises her head, until her large, violet eyes are staring into his deep, green ones...

... But just then the magical mist pervading the room abruptly recedes, and Imperia jumps back in surprise, releasing the rogue's arm. Finally able to gaze upon the whole room, she immediately looks at her little sister, apparently uninjured, but still dangling from the roof.

"Celia! It's alright, it's all over now! I'm taking you down from there, hold on!" - she exclaims, making her way to her sister and trying to find a way to free her and pull her down.

I don't know exactly how she was put there, but I'm assuming there is some kind of obvious way to free her, like a lever, a switch, or something? Well, in any case, just to be sure, here's a Perception check for good measure! ^_^

Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Yeah. I'm assuming that combat is over. It shouldn't take much of an action to draw a flask of acid from the belt pouch my character is wearing. Free action, most likely. Also, hits Touch AC. So I'm sure that I killed it. Waiting on Norv, for confirmation. Just to be sure.


Male Human (Chelish(Nobility)) Cavalier of the Cockatrice 4
Spoiler:
hp 40/40 // AC 18/T 12/FF 16 // F +7/R +3/W +1 // Init +3 // Perc +3

Adoros calls out to Korriban, "Korriban, if you wanted that deathblow, the old man probably has only a minute of life left in him before the blood all pours out."


Female Human Witch 3
Stats:
hp 7/20 | AC 16 | FF 14 | T 12 | CMD 12 | F+2 / R+4 / W+3 | Init +2 | Per +5

Gadriel calmly walks over towards Lamm's inert body and squats down near his head. Abu appears to be waiting for the final breath to expore before indulging in his own form of vengeance.


Male

Whoo, so much happening! Sorry guys, busy day at work. We are most definitely out of combat.

As Teodor brings his flail down on Lamm, there is a grotesque snap as the man's spine breaks like a twig. He spasms, then exhales his last.

The vial of acid leaving Korriban's hand flies true, and explodes across the alligator's back, running into the open cuts. It shrieks and hisses as it writhes towards Imperia, trying to climb the platform; then, with a final shudder, the childeater lies still.

Imperia dashes over to Celia, and, pulling her onto the platforms, undoes the bolt-and-tension manacles that kept her in the air. The chains clank back onto the piling, and Celia falls into her sister's arms. She hadn't been crying before--likely from shock--but now she begins, increasingly heavy sobs wracking her tiny frame.

The tiefling, though he isn't moving, seems to have stopped groaning, and his breathing has steadied...

This is also probably a good time to mention that there's a door into the small enclosed space in the bottom-left corner. It's adjacent to the square Adoros and Imperia are surrounding. Not sure why it doesn't show up on the map, sorry.

DM Dice:

Tiefling death save: 1d20 + 2 - 5 ⇒ (14) + 2 - 5 = 11


Female Human Witch 3
Stats:
hp 7/20 | AC 16 | FF 14 | T 12 | CMD 12 | F+2 / R+4 / W+3 | Init +2 | Per +5

Gadriel looks at the sisters reunion with an odd look on her face. The strange physical contact seems unnatural and alien to her, her grasp of 'family' and 'love' is certainly fairly off the mark. Still, the radiant joy and relief Imperia displays makes Gadriel smile, even if she doesn't underdand exactly why.

"We should not linger long. We are... unsure... if we would like to deal with the guardsman, explaining things."

With that, she lets Abu off her shoulder to... eat before walking out of the room, the confines of the building making her slightly uncomfortable. Without a solid need to be inside, she returns to a place where at least she can feel the wind on her cheek.

"We think today was a good day."


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

@Imperia/Group
Korriban looks to Imperia, looking into her violet eyes, captivated by the sight. When they break, Korriban has a healthy blush. "It's nothing, Imperia. Really." He looks to Lamm's corpse. "You're more important than my personal vendetta against Lamm." He then walks to Lamm's corpse. He kneels by it. "It's over, old man. I may have not killed you. But I will get the last stab!" He then takes out one of his knives and repeatedly stabs Lamm's body. "GO! TO! HELL! THIS IS FOR RUINING MY LIFE! THIS IS FOR WHAT YOU DID TO MY MOTHER! GO! TO! HEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLL!" After taking his anger out, he begins to loot Lamm's body.

Afterwords, he looks around the room, going through the trash, trying to find anything valuable.

Taking 20 on Perception: 20 + 5 = 25.

@Raina
He then walks over to Raina. "Here you go, Rai-Rai." He gives her one of his daggers.

@Imperia
He then walks over Imperia and Celia. He kneels down and asks, "You're Celia, right? Are you alright? Lamm or the tiefling didn't hurt you, did they?"

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20

@Norv
Korriban walks over to the tiefling. He tries to be as intimidating as possible. "Now, let's talk, hellspawn. You're going to tell me who you are, where you're from, and who the Five Fists are. I didn't get to kill Lamm. Don't make me take my seething anger out on you."

Taking 10 on Intimidate: 10 + 2 = 12.

@Norv & Group
Korriban stares at the body of Gobblegut. "So... anyone want to help me skin this guy? I'm serious about turning him into a pair of boots. Maybe turn the rest of him into other things. Sell the meat; earn of profit..." He then mutters to himself, possibly about the various things that the group could do with it.

@Gadriel
Korriban walks over to the child. "Gadriel. I just wanted to say thanks for saving my neck back there. Me and my mother really appreciate it." He then looks at his leg. He smiles. "Well, at least my leg scars now have a matching set. And I have a new story to tell."

@Group
Curious, Korriban enters the room tucked into the corner.

So, in summation, talk to various people, give Raina a dagger, search Lamm, the main chamber, and the side room for valuables, and begin interrogating the tiefling.


Male

Gadriel, Perception DC 20:
You can still hear the whirring, chittering, and shrieking noises before...as well as some shouting, and a bell tolling in the distance. The waters of the Jeggare lap softly under your feet.

Lamm doesn't seem to be carrying anything much of value except his weapons: both the hand crossbow he had and a dagger tucked into his sash are masterwork weaponry. He still has 6 crossbow quarrels left, as well as a ring of keys on his belt. Most of what's piled on the northern end of the room--with the notable exception of the gleaming (if now slightly battered and dirtied) musket--is junk, fit only to be fenced at the lowest of prices for the most meager of profits.

Celia continues to cling to Imperia. "I--I'm ok," she stammers, in response to Korriban's questioning. She seems scared, intimidated perhaps by his tattoos and scars. "Lamm hit me sometimes, but not as badly as the other children...and I've never seen the tiefling before today. Is that what he is? I've never seen one before." Even in these circumstances, with her smeared with dirt and clad in rags, her breeding shows through in her speech patterns. She gazes up at Imperia. "Imperia...is it really you? I saw you! You shot Gobbleguts, and you summoned that amazing eagle thing!"

The tiefling's eyes narrow, though he's still too weak to move, as you ask your questions. He coughs up some blood. "Spare me your pathetic attempt at interrogation. Do you think you could possibly impress a soldier of..." he breaks off into a fit of coughing, and more blood spatters across the front of his armor. His eyes never leave Celia's tiny form, enveloped in Imperia's cloak.

The room in the corner, you discover, was clearly Lamm's--and he didn't take very good care of it. Apparently a combination bedroom and study, it exudes a foul-smelling reek that seems to stiffen the very air. Against the east wall sits a lumpy, ratty bed, with what must once have been nice covers on it, which are now worn and moth-eaten. Nearby, a round table is heaped high with dirty plates, bread crumbs, fruit rinds, and scuttling cockroaches. At the foot of the bed is a strongbox, its top secured by a rusty iron padlock. At the far side of the room is a dresser, on top of which sits a hatbox surrounded by buzzing flies.


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban takes the hand crossbow, knife, bolts, and the keys. He says to the group, "Anyone want this hand crossbow? It's of masterwork quality and it comes with six bolts.
I'll be keeping the masterwork dagger. Because, you know, I'm the rogue.

@Imperia & Celia
Korriban looks confused before smiling. "Scared of my scars, huh? Well, we can blame Lamm for that." At the young girl's praise of Imperia, the rogue chuckles. "Yeah. Your sister is pretty amazing." He looks up at the wizard with a smile on his face.

Using Diplomacy to ease Celia and make her comfortable
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20

@Norv
Korriban sighs at the tiefling's response. 'Let's try a different tactic.' "Well, if you don't want to say anything, that's fine. But... I'm probably the best guy to talk to right now. But, I can always arrange to have my friend, Teodor, talk to you... and send you to his god." He moves aside slightly to show Teodor, crazed smile on his face and holding his bloodied flail over Lamm's corpse. Korriban then moves back. "So, are you sure you don't want to talk? If not, then I'm sure I could get better information from my contacts. Which means I wouldn't have need for you."

Use whichever applies best
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22
Bluff: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11
Intimidate: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6

@Norv & Group
Korriban shrugs at the sight of the room. 'No different than Bridgefront.' He then begins searching through the room. He calls out, "Hey, guys! Wanna help me search through the room? Make sure you have boots on!"

Take 20 on Perception: 20 + 5 = 25.

He searches through the bed for anything of worth. The table is picked through. He then gets to the strongbox. He uses the keys he got from Lamm to open the padlock. After that, he searches through the dresser and, finally, he opens the hatbox.


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Also, I don't know if you know this, Norv. But Korriban has the silver tongue racial trait. I don't know if the ability can be used here. But I thought that you should know.


Male

I'm going to call that intimidate (since you DID essentially threaten to kill him). Which means that unfortunately...

The tiefling just laughs. "Have the madman kill me--a soldier fallen is a soldier gained."

The bed and the table in the room contain nothing of value; just dirty dishes, and moth-eaten sheets (though you do find a chamberpot under the bed that looks like it hasn't been cleaned in far too long...). The strongbox, which opens to one of the keys from Lamm's belt, is much more rewarding: inside is a small hoard of objects that Lamm must have liked too much or thought to valuable to simply give away. I've included the list under a spoiler to avoid taking up space.

The dresser is disappointing--only decaying clothes, most decades out of style. Brushing away the flies, you lift the lid on the hatbox and peer inside.

Sitting inside the box is a severed human head. Once you get over the initial surprise and revulsion, you realize that the head is that of a woman, and, moreover, it's a woman you know.

Zellara.

The head has begun to decay, and someone has painted it with crude makeup on the cheeks and lips, but there is no doubt, as you peer at it, that Zellara's severed head is sitting in front of you in this hatbox. Under the stump of her neck sits a small wooden box.

DC 10 Heal:
Judging by the rate of decomposition, Zellara's been dead for a few weeks now.

The Strongbox:

Inside the strongbox, you find the following, all wrapped in cloth and tied shut with twine:
  • a teak cigar case inlaid with flecks of jade
  • a two-pound gold ingot bearing the coat of arms of Cheliax
  • a miniature gold crown
  • a fist-sized carving of a kraken from ivory, with garnets for eyes
  • a silver ring (inscribed, "For Emmah--the light in my nights")
  • a very realistic figurine ivory figurine of two entwined succubi
  • a masterwork shuriken
  • an adamantine arrowhead
  • a holy symbol of Shelyn made of abalone
  • a tiny glass tube containing some kind of steel-grey oil
  • an obsidian wand
  • a crystalline vial with a glinting silver liquid
  • and a brooch with a broken clasp, made of gold and depicting a pseudodragon and an imp coiled around each other. Even to a casual glance, this is clearly the most valuable piece in the hoard.
  • DC 15 Knowledge (Nobility):
    You recognize this brooch--or, at least, the description of it. It belongs to Queen Ileosa herself, and was reported as stolen from a jeweler's shop who had been contracted to repair the clasp.


    Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

    @Tiefling
    Korriban stares at him before turning around and walking away. "Adoros! Your turn to interrogate him!"

    @Everyone
    Korriban mutters as he goes through the bed, table, and dresser. "Junk, junk, junk. Wow, Lamm sucked as a criminal, didn't he?" After opening the strongbox, Korriban gains a smile and a glint in his eyes. "Guys! Take a look at what I found! Come and get your share!" After opening the hatbox, Korriban's eyes go wide. He does the only thing he can think of. He freaks out. "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! GUYS! IT'S ZELLARA! ZELLARA'S HEAD IS IN THE BOX!!"


    Female Human Brawler 2
    Spoiler:
    HP: 22/22 // AC: 15 (16 CE), touch: 12 (13 CE), flat-footed: 13 // Fort: +5, Ref: +6, Will: +1 // Init: +2 // Perception: +6

    The sudden tension in the room seemed to snap along with Lamm's spine. For a vague moment, time slows; Raina looks up just as the light fades from the old man's eyes. Death was a horrible thing, and there was never anything joyful about it (well, maybe Teodor thought differently...) - not even seeing the end of the days for a twisted monster like Gaedren. And yet... Raina exhales, feeling relief spread through her entire body, the weight of many years evaporating in an instant. There would be many more of those sighs coming in the future, no doubt... but this was the first important, very important step. She certainly wouldn't be forgetting this moment for quite some time.

    Almost absent-mindedly, Raina grabs Gobbleguts' tail and hefts him back onto the platform. The acid would probably ruin his hide for making armour, she notes with a frown. A pity. Why this seemed so important right at this moment was quite beyond her. Things weren't making much sense at the moment. Korriban was taking out his own anger out on the body. Raina vaguely felt like her body was taking things out on herself.

    Korriban next handed her a dagger, and Raina dazedly accepts it with a muttered thanks. "I hope this isn't the one you just stabbed that monster with a hundred times," she manages to retort, but it's clear her thoughts are elsewhere.

    Stepping away from the croc corpse, Raina looks over at Celia and Imperia's reunion with a smile. It's not something she's ever experienced, that - but she'd long gotten over the feelings of jealousy for those who were born into more traditional families. It was more like a beautiful painting to observe from afar, doubly so because she had never personally experienced it before. Their familial love is enough to sate her until one particularly rude awakening - Korriban's high-pitched screaming.

    "What in the nine hells?" she mutters, breaking away from the more pleasant scene with an annoyed frown - but an anxious one too. Almost warily Raina moves into the side room after Korriban, only to immediately choke up and struggle to hold back a throat-full of bile.

    "B-By the gods," she manages to stutter, stumbling backwards to stabilise herself on the doorframe. "God. Damn. What. What? What?! F$~@!"

    Raina squeezes her eyes shut and then opens them again, just to be sure she's not seeing things. "Oh gods... Imperia, please, keep your sis and Gadriel out of here... this is... messed up... F&*! me..."

    Heal: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13

    "How in the hell did someone who's been dead for weeks just a couple of hours ago start talking to us over some bread and Harrow cards?! Dammit!" Raina roughly punches the door frame. "What the hell is this?!"


    Female Human Witch 3
    Stats:
    hp 7/20 | AC 16 | FF 14 | T 12 | CMD 12 | F+2 / R+4 / W+3 | Init +2 | Per +5

    Hearing the commotion and worried that her new... friends?.. were in danger Gadriel scampers back into the room. Easily ducking past Raina, she seems a bit confused by the lack of immidiate threat. Upon seeing the 'hatbox' she gets an even more confused look on her face. "We are sorry. We thought you knew. Abu told us that the fortune teller was touched by the beyond. We thought everyone else knew too. How else did we all get cards without knowing? Abu thought you all could smell it."

    Gadriel turns to Raina and says "Maybe if we go back, Raina could ask her? Would that help?"

    Hope you don't mind my taking this route Norv. Seems a good way to point out the 'creepy' part of being a witch. :D


    Male Human (Chelish(Nobility)) Cavalier of the Cockatrice 4
    Spoiler:
    hp 40/40 // AC 18/T 12/FF 16 // F +7/R +3/W +1 // Init +3 // Perc +3

    With the battle finally over and the others picking over the spoils of war, Adoros makes a beeline for the pile of trash that Lamm tossed his prized gun. Reclaiming the weapon, the Chelish man runs his hand carefully over its wooden stock and metal barrel, feeling for any damage the rat could have inflicted upon it. Tearful reunions and horrifying discoveries seem to pass Adoros by as he carefully lays out some of his gun cleaning tools. He starts to clean the inside of the barrel as Korriban calls him over to take a crack at the tiefling, "A moment. I need to make sure Lamm didn't do irreversable damage to my gun first."

    A few minutes later, Adoros stands and begins to load his gun for the first time in weeks, months even. The motions of using the device swiftly come back as he sights down the barrel toward the tiefling forehead before slightly adjusting the shot to hit the wall only just above the slaver. The sharp crack of the gun fills the room with an echoing boom while the wood above the tiefling's head explodes with a fair-sized hole blown into it while Adoros frowns and stares at the smoking tip of the gun, "Well he didn't do permanent damage to it but he's completely messed up the sights."

    Musket Intimidation vs Wall Touch AC: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8

    Adoros shakes his head in anger, glancing back to Lamm's dead corpse before stalking over toward the tiefling with his musket. The Chelish noble looms over the tiefling before laying the very hot tip of his gun's barrel against the slaver's cheek, "While I'm not sure why you think protecting whoever you are protecting is worth dying for, as I didn't think there was alot of honor amongst child-takers, regardless, there are worse fates then death in the offering. Now that Gobbleguts is dead, I'm sure the local sharks would love to come sample a taste of tiefling. We could string you up in the same chains that you had Lady Winthrune's sister hung up by, maybe put a few shallow cuts on your feet and legs. The blood in the water will be a dinner bell for all nearby marine predators. Don't worry though, we'll pull you back before they bite off more then they can chew. Up to your knees I think, more then that and they'd start to choke. It won't be so bad. You might not be able to walk afterward but you'll have your health...mostly."

    Intimidate: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12
    First the steel.

    Adoros begins to wipe the tip of his musket with a rag as he smiles down at the tiefling, "Or if you decide to open up a bit, maybe we can see it in our hearts to forgive your transgressions. We'll still have to turn you into the local authorities of course but I'm sure they wouldn't hold you long. Not much evidence for a trial and only our testimony to say anything went down tonight. I'm sure any litigator worth his salt could get that overturned quicker than you can say freedom."

    Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14
    Then the silk.


    Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

    @Raina
    Korriban smiles. "Don't worry. It isn't. I'm keeping that knife. Sweet memories of stabbing into Lamm over and over again."

    @Everyone
    Korriban looks over the brooch. "Can anyone tell me where this is from? Looks very valuable."

    @Raina, Gadriel, & Everyone
    Korriban looks to the child. "You knew we were talking to a ghost? This is just getting weird." Throwing his hands up, he says, "Okay, so we're either able to see ghosts... or we're all going insane. Zellara! I don't know if you can hear me! But what's the meaning of this?! How did you come into contact with us?! Are you a ghost, phantasm, or some other figment?!"


    Female Human (Chelish) Conjurer (Teleportation Focused School) 2
    Quick Stats:
    Init +8 | AC 12, t 12, ff 10 (16/12/14 Mage Armor) | 14/14 hp | Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +2 | Perception +3

    Kneeled down on the dirty platform, Imperia hugs her sister tightly, gently stroking her hair and murmuring reassuring words while the little girl desperately cries with her head buried in her older sister's chest.

    The two sisters, finally reunited, remain locked in their embrace for long moments, until eventually Celia's sobs slowly diminish and come to a cease.

    When Korriban Addresses the little girl, Imperia reassures her sister - "Don't worry, Korriban's not as scary as he looks. He's a... Friend. It's thanks to his help, and everyone else's in this room, that I was able to find you." - she smiles warmly at her sister, then shoots a strange look at Korriban, and when Celia isn't looking she catches the rogue's attention and spells out a few words with her lips without making any sound - Don't scare her!

    With her friends busy, Imperia takes a few moments more to fuss over her sister. With a flick of her wrist and a few arcane words, she removes all the dirt and stains from her own robe and Celia's clothes, then proceeds to gently wipe away her sister's tears from her cheeks, and finally tries to comb the child's hair to be a little less unruly.

    Imperia casts Prestidigitation and cleans up herself and her sister. Even after the most strenuous battle, she's coming out tidy, immaculate, and smelling of roses! ^_^

    Just when she's standing up satisfied, finished with her work, Korriban's scream makes her jump in surprise - "W-What? What do you mean she's... Celia, stay here, don't move, do not come any closer! I'll be right back."

    Heal: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (11) - 1 = 10

    With just a few quick steps, Imperia enters the room, and takes a look at the grisly sight in the hatbox - "B-But how could this be? It doesn't make any sense! We spoke to her just hours ago..."

    When Gadriel speaks up and shares her knowledge with the group, she looks upon the young girl with a perplexed expression - '... A Ghost? Could it be? Well, it'd be very unusual... But not impossible, I suppose. Professor Quinsworth once gave a lecture about the nature of ghostly apparitions, and their need to right the wrongs inflicted upon them, before they could pass in the Beyond... Is this what happened, and why she contacted us? Uhm...' - but eventually she's forced to sigh and shake her head, unable to find a satisfying answer without additional information.

    Knowledge (nobility): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28

    Imperia's eyes go wide when she gets a glimpse at the brooch Korriban is holding. "That brooch... I may have not seen it before in person, but it does look like..." - She takes the item and examine carefully from every angle - "Yes, the description matches perfectly. This brooch belongs to the Queen herself! It was reported as stolen from a jeweler's shop who had been contracted to repair the clasp" - perplexed, she deposits the brooch back in Korriban's hands - "How did Lamm ever manage to get his hands on something so valuable?"


    Male

    The tieflung merely stares at Adoros coldly. "Sounds like your friends need assistance," he says, deadpan.

    While Zellara's ghost doesn't suddenly appear, Korriban (whom I'm assuming still has the hatbox) feels a strange pull toward the little wooden box beneath the severed head...


    Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

    @Imperia
    Making sure Celia's still not looking, Korriban says silently: What did I do? I'm just being nice and making sure she's okay!

    At the revelation of the brooch, Korriban just stares at what he has in his hand. "No way... This is really the Queen's brooch? Now I'm starting to think that Lamm was a better criminal than we gave him credit for. It still doesn't excuse what he did. But still, color me shocked" He then places the brooch in one of his trench coat pockets as well as stashes the loot from the strongbox on him, whether in his pockets or in his coat. "We can sort this out later. We have bigger problems here." Taking the masterwork hand crossbow and slinging it over his shoulder, he hands Imperia the 6 bolts. "I figure you would want some more ammo."

    @Everyone
    Feeling the pull, Korriban walks up to the hatbox and gingerly takes out Zellara's head. He removes the wooden box from underneath and carefully places the head back in the hatbox. "Maybe this will give us some answers as to what's going on. I'm getting some kind of pull from it. I wonder what's in the box?" He then begins to open the wooden box.

    You guys have no idea how much I want to reference the "What's in the box" scene from SE7EN.

    Wow, we are getting nowhere with the tiefling, huh? Also, should someone keep an eye on him or Celia, just in case the tiefling tries anything funny? Don't get any ideas, Norv. :p


    Female Human (Chelish) Conjurer (Teleportation Focused School) 2
    Quick Stats:
    Init +8 | AC 12, t 12, ff 10 (16/12/14 Mage Armor) | 14/14 hp | Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +2 | Perception +3
    Korriban Balros wrote:
    Wow, we are getting nowhere with the tiefling, huh? Also, should someone keep an eye on him or Celia, just in case the tiefling tries anything funny? Don't get any ideas, Norv. :p

    Oh, don't worry about that. He intended to buy Imperia's little sister in slavery (or worse!), threatened all of her friends, and even tried to kill them (and managed to wound a few). As far as Imperia is concerned, he ain't gettin' out of this alive...

    Imperia accepts the bolts Korriban hands her with gratitude, then leaves the little room, and the grisly scene in it, and is about to go back to her sister, but just then her eyes are caught by the sight of the captive tiefling, and her expression hardens, anger and contempt clearly visible in her eyes.

    Approaching Raina, she delicately puts a hand on her shoulder and bends down a little to whisper something in her hear - "Please Raina, could you take care of Celia for a moment? Talk with her a little... Maybe tell her a story? I need to... Do something, and I don't want her to see that."

    Assuming Raina agrees to distract the little girl for a minute, read below, otherwise, disregard the following. ;)

    Imperia thanks the strong woman profusely, then as soon as Celia's attention is elsewhere, she slowly approaches the tiefling.

    While she steps closer, she deliberately pulls out her crossbow, and casually loads a bolt in it, with slow, fluid motions, till the bolt clicks in place just as she's in front of the despicable man.

    "Listen carefully, because I won't repeat myself" - Imperia addresses him, her tone soft and pleasant, and yet imbued with unmistakable gravity - "I don't care who you are, or what pathetic little secrets your feeble mind is trying to keep. What I do care about, is knowing if anybody else is going to come after my sister or not... So, I'm going to ask you a few questions, and believe me when I tell you your life may very well depend on how you answer me..." - she gives the tiefling an especially hard look, the proceeds with her interrogation - "Who are you? What were you doing here? How do you know my sister? And who else knows about her?"

    Diplomacy: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23

    If Diplomacy isn't applicable, then Intimidate! (change + 5 with + 2) ;)


    M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

    "Tiefling thiefling of the sorrow sort ...a series of things have happened to you ...your meager hopes quashed, mashed like dream potatoes. Hee hee hee."


    Male

    In the outer room, the tiefling flinches under Imperia's stern questioning. Scowling, he meets her eyes. "Men call me Upinoché Galzeb. I was sent to Lamm by agents of the Five Fists because he told them he had found a child that might...interest them. One with unusual qualities." Though still too weak to move, he tilts his head back and stares defiantly up at her. "Kill me now, if such us your will. I shall rise again as a soldier in the endless armies of Dis!"

    In the smaller room, Korriban opens the wooden box to reveal Zellara's Harrow deck. Although the cards are somewhat more worn than you remember, the images on the fronts are so vivid that they seem to move when casually glanced at. The silver gilt on the edges twinkles as Korriban handles the cards.

    When you first handle the deck, you feel a sense of immense pleasure, nearly overwhelming satisfaction--no, triumph--at Lamm's death. The cards seem almost to whisper in your hands, celebrating the criminal's demise. You also, however, feel a sudden rush of exhaustion and lethargy...

    I'll post full info when I can, but...the Harrow deck is an intelligent magic item, and Korriban is currently taking a negative level penalty due to an alignment mismatch.

    If multiple people handle the deck:
    It quickly becomes apparent as you pass the cards around that only Raina feels the intense satisfaction WITHOUT the lethargy. The deck's alignment is chaotic good.


    Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

    Korriban's eyes widen at the sight of the deck. "Guys? This is Zellara's Harrow deck, right? But what's it doing here?"

    Hearing the whispers, Korriban can only ask, "Zellara? Or ghost? Is that you?"

    Korriban's face then becomes a slight green and he wobbles a bit. "Okay. Guys? I'm not feeling too good. Call me crazy. But I think it's the deck that's making me sick. Someone else want to hold onto it?"

    If I give the deck to someone else, does the negative level go away?


    Female Human Brawler 2
    Spoiler:
    HP: 22/22 // AC: 15 (16 CE), touch: 12 (13 CE), flat-footed: 13 // Fort: +5, Ref: +6, Will: +1 // Init: +2 // Perception: +6

    Raina stares at Imperia for a few moments, but eventually nods. She pats the woman on the shoulder just once, wordless, before crouching down beside Celia. "Hey there, little bird. Name's Raina. I'm your big sis's... friend, I guess you could say." She offers Celia a big, toothy grin and a warm handshake. "I heard some nice stuff about you from Imperia. She's very protective of you, you know! Like a big mama grizzly bear, haha."

    "Speaking of bears..." Raina lowers her voice conspiratorially, "Wanna hear a story about the time where I wrestled one?" Now, this was a total lie, but hey, Imperia did ask her to tell a story. And wrestling Nokalo was pretty similar to wrestling a bear anyway...

    If offered the Harrow deck, Raina will take it with an arched brow. "What are you talking about, Korriban? Feels just fine to me?"


    Female Human (Chelish) Conjurer (Teleportation Focused School) 2
    Quick Stats:
    Init +8 | AC 12, t 12, ff 10 (16/12/14 Mage Armor) | 14/14 hp | Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +2 | Perception +3

    Imperia nods gravely after hearing the tiefling's confession - "Then aside from Lamm and yourself, no one else knows about her personally..." - her face visibly relaxes, and she breathes a sigh of relief, but after a brief moment her eyes meet again with the tiefling's, her expression cold and harsh once more - "For what it's worth, know I appreciated your collaboration, and I won't enjoy in the least what I'm about to do... But I have to. I cannot allow you to go free, and tell about Celia's identity to your cult..."

    Slowly, with an almost pained expression, she raises her crossbow, points it at the man's head, and with a few last words - "May the gods have mercy on your soul." - pulls the trigger.

    Unless someone stops her in time, Imperia takes out the tiefling, and since he is helpless, this should be a coup de grace! Rolls below... (Also, if he somehow survives, Imperia simply reloads and fires again. After all, she doesn't want him to suffer, only to be gone for good). ;)

    Coup de Grace, Crossbow: 2d8 ⇒ (4, 4) = 8


    Male

    Korriban feels a surge of amusement from the deck as he questions it--almost as though the deck were chuckling at him. The emotional tie, as well as the feeling of lethargy, dissipate as the deck leaves his hands and the others examine it.

    The tiefling's head jerks back as Imperia's bolt buries itself in his throat. He gurgles wetly--at first, you think he's just expiring, but then you realize he's laughing at you. His vicious yellow eyes meet Imperia's and Adoros's in mocking defiance before going dim forever.

    Celia seems more comfortable with Raina than with some of the others, but the best story in the world would be hard-pressed to distract her from the twang of the bowstring or the sound of the bolt striking flesh. "Imperia killed the bad man," the little girl whispers solemnly to Raina. Korriban and Gadriel arriving with loot--including Zellara's cards, which send a warm tingle of excitement down your arm when you touch them--prove a welcome, and timely, distraction.

    251 to 300 of 5,161 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>
    Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Dying City: DM Norv's "Curse of the Crimson Throne" All Messageboards

    Want to post a reply? Sign in.