The Dying City: DM Norv's "Curse of the Crimson Throne"

Game Master The Norv

The classic story of intrigue, magic, and strife in Korvosa, and of five figures caught in the balance of greater forces than they know.

Current Date: Starday, 10th of Lamashan, 4708

Current Map | Flex Time | Loot Tracker | Floorplan for the Rosa in Fiore

Harrow Points and Uses:

Current Harrow Points:
Callie: 3
Korriban: 2
Lantressa: 4
Matoska: 2
Teodor: 3

Flash of Insight: You can spend a Harrow point to attempt a skill check that normally requires training for a skill in which you have no ranks. You gain a one-time +5 bonus to that skill check.

Intelligence Rerolls: You can spend a Harrow point to reroll any one Intelligence-based check. You must abide by the new result, even if it's lower (but you can spend more Harrow points to reroll again if you want to).

Focused Thought: You can reattempt a Knowledge check that you have previously failed. On this attempt, you gain a +10 bonus on the check.


151 to 200 of 5,161 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Male

I'm afraid Teodor is right--you don't really have time to take 10. Not unless you want to remove yourself from the initiative for several rounds. Feel free to roll, or you can just let it stand as roleplaying.

The room Korriban has entered reeks of dead fish and sweat. You can see now that the children are standing knee-deep in a disgusting pile of dead fish, and the trough is surrounded by stains of fish blood and saltwater. It looks like the two children in the trough have been shoveling the disgusting mixture into two chutes in the eastern wall, which disappear to somewhere you can't see. There's a desk and chair near the door to the north, and a tall cabinet in the southwestern corner.

The gnome stammers slightly. "I--I--there's so much--there are, I don't know, twenty-some of the little rats--I mean children--most are out working. These ones were here to make chum..." He gazes fearfully up at Korriban, blood streaming from the gouges and lacerations to his face. "There are no t-traps. We had no...no idea you were coming.


Female Human Brawler 2
Spoiler:
HP: 22/22 // AC: 15 (16 CE), touch: 12 (13 CE), flat-footed: 13 // Fort: +5, Ref: +6, Will: +1 // Init: +2 // Perception: +6

Taking 10 doesn't take 10 times as long, that's taking 20. It takes a normal amount of time. Taking 10 can only be done in routine situations where you have no stress or distractions, though... and I am pretty sure "rushing our way through Lamm's base before he runs" doesn't qualify as a routine situation.


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Okay. Sorry about that guys. Again, I'm still kind of new to Pathfinder. So I'll just do some rolls in place of the "take 10" checks. Again, I'm sorry.

Diplomacy check on prostitute: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12
Intimidate check on gnome: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20
Diplomacy check on children: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28

Finally, some decent/good rolls. Unfortunately, it's not in fighting.


Male

Hey, never underestimate the power of diplomacy (see below). And if you're ever uncertain how a mechanic/rule/spell works, this website is a great resource. I'm fairly new to PF myself, and I find that it's nicely indexed and very easy to use. Don't worry about it. :)

The prostitute still looks nervous, but she doesn't run away. The gnome, however, continues to babble in a panic. "The only other one here right now is Giggles, the half-orc, and some guest or something of Lamm's! I don't know who he is--Yargin brought him in and told me not to bother them! If you want gold there's petty cash in that cabinet--but Lamm keeps all the good stuff downstairs!"

One of the orphans--a boy, you realize as he draws close enough to see through the muck--sets down the pitchfork he's holding and draws close to you, still keeping warily away from the downed gnome. "Tam, Ana," he calls to the two in the trough, "come away from there. Get ready to run if'n we need." The other two set down their pitchforks and climb out of the trough, stepping carefully over the slick floor immediately around the trough. Acrobatics DC 10: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (10) + 9 = 19 They linger by the door as the older boy turns back to you. "Hooky's tellin' the truth," he mutters. "Giggles is in the workroom next door--and he'll notice soon that no more chum's comin' through the chute. We don' see Lamm much--he lives downstairs, and the only way down is a rope through a hole in the workroom floor. Giggles took a new girl down there earlier, and now the strange man is down there with them. I dunno what they're up to."


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

As the boy Korriban speaks, Teodor moves to check on Yargin. Slight of Hand: 1d20 ⇒ 2 He very obviously draws his heavy flail and brings it down upon Yargin's unconscious head, shattering it with a sickening squelch.

Coup de grace damage: 2d10 + 6 ⇒ (6, 4) + 6 = 16

Teodor smiles reverently. "Groetus' blessing, my child. Now, perhaps you other children should leave ...better now to be not seen and not heard, this herd is no more the flock of the Lamm-shepherd."

Teodor smiles like an angel.


Female Human Witch 3
Stats:
hp 7/20 | AC 16 | FF 14 | T 12 | CMD 12 | F+2 / R+4 / W+3 | Init +2 | Per +5

Gadriel moves nimbly into the room, the slime of little hindrance. "Come, this way. Escape now, before Giggles knows. Run home, if you have one. If not, there is a church we know. A church that will help. Go there, if there is nowhere else." Gadriel motions her hands at the children, Abu mimicking the gestures.

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (8) + 13 = 21


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban continues to stare at Hooky. "All right, then. I have a couple of other questions for you. FIrst, is the cabinet locked? Second, who is the other man you're talking about? I need things like looks, equipment, that sort of thing. And you better tell me and give me everything I need... or else, you'll be seeing Calistria up close and personal."

Intimidate: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7

Turning to the kids, he says, "Don't worry. We'll take care of Giggles. You just take Gadriel's advice and head to the church she speaks of. Gadriel, tell them where it is. Also, tell the fine lady in the corner where it is so she can reach safety, too."

Hearing the squelch, Korriban sighs and heads back into the other room.

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19

He walks about as gracefully as Gadriel across the slick floor. Seeing the remains of Yargin, Korriban turns to Teodor. "Teo. I thought I asked you to help Adoros out with getting the guy out of the water. Not that I had a problem with caving Yargin's skull in. But still..." He turns to the scared woman in the corner. "Sorry you had to see that, ma'am. This is kind of personal for us. Gadriel here will inform you of a safe place. Do you need any help getting there?"

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (15) + 9 = 24

He then turns to Yargin's corpse. After looking at him for a while, Korriban kneels down and rummages through the pockets, removing everything of use. Items, valuables, armor, weapons. Anything he can find.


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

Are we totally out of initiative? There's Giggles downstairs ...skill rolls take time ...

"You ordered, not asked, boy. But neither bravado nor manners mean much to the Lord. Abu! FEAST!"


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

I don't know about initiative.

Korriban sighs. "Teodor, would you please help Adoros and our river-rat friend? Maybe you can kill whatever's after him for your undead moon god. Just don't go into avoidable danger."


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

"No. Know, now, boy, I am not yours to command. If Adoros chooses his end so poorly, tis his right. I. Am. Here. For. Lamm."

Teodor moves to the door.


Male

Teodor's right, actually--we need to stay in initiative, because things can still develop very quickly and talking to people does take some time. If you want to continue the conversations on your next turn, go for it, but right now we still have Raina, Adoros, and Imperia to go in this round (well, and the NPCs).


Female Human (Chelish) Conjurer (Teleportation Focused School) 2
Quick Stats:
Init +8 | AC 12, t 12, ff 10 (16/12/14 Mage Armor) | 14/14 hp | Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +2 | Perception +3

When the despicable gnome falls to the ground begging for mercy, Imperia raises a hand and speaks once more in the peculiar yet melodious language she used before.

"থাকুন! ... টেবিল অনুগ্রহ করে অপেক্ষা করুন."

Celestial:
"Stay!... Please wait on the table."

The golden eagle immediately breaks off her attack, and gracefully glides onto the nearby table, where she perches herself, awaiting further instructions.

Just as she's about to proceed inside, the guard's screams attract Imperia's attention, and her eyes widen in shock when she realizes the danger the man in the water is in. 'By the Gods, we need t-...' Her thoughts are interrupted when Korriban takes hold of the situation and starts barking orders, and even if still a little unsure about what to do, Imperia decides not to complicate things further and follow her companion's directions. 'I just hope he knows what he's doing...'

She swiftly enters the building and moves to Korriban's side, listening attentively to the gnome's confession.

The sight of the abused children is more than enough to move Imperia to tears, and when they come near the door, she kneels and tries to hug and comfort them. "You are safe now, no one's going to hurt you anymore! You must've suffered so much... I promise you I'll help any way I can! But now you have to get out of here, it's not safe... Go to number three of Lancet Street; you'll find a woman there, she's nice and will help you. Tell her the people she sent to fight Lamm told you to go there and ask for help. We'll be back as soon as we can, and we'll help you find a real home, I promise!"

"But before you go, I need to ask you a very important question" - Imperia's voice trembles slightly while she looks the children in the eyes - "Do you know a girl by the name of Celia? She's about ten years old, with dark red hair about this long, and violet eyes, just like mine... It's possible she was taken here about a month ago?"

The rest of the world and everything that's going on around her is completely forgotten while Imperia desperately awaits for any kind of answer...

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25


Male

The child nearest to you draws back slightly and seems to pull in on himself. "There's a Chel girl like what you say...been here a while. I dunno her name but she has red hair and purple eyes. Lamm calls her the Little Noble. She's the one that Giggles brung to Lamm earlier." He shifts his eyes away from you and almost flinches slightly, as though expecting a blow. "She yours?"

Sense Motive DC 20:
Bluff check! 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 4 + 2 = 20
The child is telling the truth, but it feels as though he's holding something back...


Male Human (Chelish(Nobility)) Cavalier of the Cockatrice 4
Spoiler:
hp 40/40 // AC 18/T 12/FF 16 // F +7/R +3/W +1 // Init +3 // Perc +3

Round 4, Initiative 14

2x Move Action: Moving through the slurry room toward the far door.

Adoros snorts at Korriban's orders as he moves past the man into the room with the children and gnome, "Last time I looked I don't work for you. Feel free to follow your own advice and rescue the hired goon if your conscience dictates that you should but I can do little for the man at the moment." He raps the knuckles of one hand against the scales of his cumbersome metallic armor and then makes a motion at his numerous melee weapons, "I'm ill-equipped to go jumping into the drink and alas only Lamm has something of mine that could give me the reach to assist from dry land. Now, if you're done trying to impress the lady, there is still Lamm and a few of his associates waiting on our tender attentions."

Acrobatics (DC 10): 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (20) - 2 = 18

The Chelish man makes his way carefully over the slick floor covered in offal toward the door beside the chute. As fish guts squish underfoot, Adoros raises a hand to his mouth and nose, "By all that is right, how do you urchins stand the smell?" He gags slightly behind his palm as he finally makes his way to stand beside the door. He checks the handle carefully (and if unlocked) and then slowly cracks the door open to see what lies on the other side, hopefully without showing those within the next room that the door is opening.


Male

I've left part of the room covered since you're just peeking--if anyone moves in, just remove the offending piece.

Through the crack in the (unlocked) door, you can see a vast room. The floor is ten feet below you; you're looking out onto a catwalk with stairs leading down to the main level. A small, filthy urchin stands on your level, using a long-handled oar of some kind to stir a filthy mass in a huge vat, the sides of which are sealed and waterproofed with tar. The contents seem to be a disgusting mess of rancid fish, fish blood, seawater, and the gods only know what else. On the far side of the room you can see nearly two dozen barrels and crates stacked, some half-full of the chum, all marked with a daub of red paint that looks vaguely like a fish.

Down on the fishery floor--which can't be far above the waterline--you can see a massive half-orc in leather armor, carrying a shield and a flail, observe the urchins as they work. His left eye is gone, that half of his face covered in puckered, sickle-shaped scars. As one of the waifs scurries by with a bucket of seawater, he prods them in the side with the handle of his whip. "Work hard! Or Giggles give ya's somethin' to whine about," he says, with an evil chuckle.


Female Human Brawler 2
Spoiler:
HP: 22/22 // AC: 15 (16 CE), touch: 12 (13 CE), flat-footed: 13 // Fort: +5, Ref: +6, Will: +1 // Init: +2 // Perception: +6

Raina is rather shocked to see Teodor happily brain Yargin - even if he was one of the bastards who had tortured her and others, the cool indifference and even happiness in death was something that sickened her to her stomach. She shoots the crazy old man a glare, reminding herself that she really doesn't know these people... and shouldn't trust them either.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21

Following after Adoros, Raina pauses mid-stride only when the young urchin responds to Imperia. She arches her brow but tries to remain friendly, crouching down to his height. "Kid. You sound a bit nervous. Don't worry - you're not going to get in any trouble. I'll make sure of that." Raina offers him a half-smile. "But tell us what you know, alright?"


Male

The kid shifts uneasily from foot to foot, eyeing Imperia nervously. "It's just...the red-head Chel always made people nervous. I mean, she was nice and all, but sometimes you'd meet her eyes and you'd feel like you couldn't look away...it were weird-feeling. She did it to Lamm, once--I saw the two of them just staring at each other across the room, one night when he came up to our level while we slept. She were awake, just wrapped up in her hammock, and then they were staring at each other for th'longest time. Not long after that, Lamm started talkin' bout how he had a plan for 'er...I dunno what, though." The child is clearly nervous to be telling you this.

Hookshanks, still whimpering and clutching at his face, crawls toward the desk in the corner (a 5' shift). "Before you ask, I got no idea what Lamm's 'plans' are for the little b!%++," he says. The bleeding has slowed slightly now, though his face is still a disaster. "All I know's some tiefling came in here with Yargin and Giggles took 'im down to see Lamm, then brought the girl. I doubt Giggles knows much more, either...Yargin's the only one Lamm might have let in on the plan. Even then, I doubt it. He's a finnicky, paranoid old coot."

The prostitute sighs as she watches the proceedings. "It sounds like the violence here isn't done...I'll go ahead and wait it out in here. Sting's blood, Yargin won't be minding, will he?" She slides past Teodor, wrinkling her face in disgust at the remains of Yargin, and slips through the door next to him. It appears to be a bedroom, with two sets of bunkbeds. She eyes one and begins idly digging around under it. "Maybe he left some o' the shiver..."

From outside, you all hear a bellow--but one of joy, not of rage or pain. "Got 'im!" you hear the older guard yell. "C'mon, lad, up you get..."

Adoros:
As you peep through the door, Giggles looks up at the top of the vat and frowns. He's noticed that the chum's not coming through anymore. "Hey, meat!" he yells up at the holes. "Shovel faster, we ain't got enough down here!" He pauses expectantly, then, when nothing happens, frowns. He starts to move towards your door, shoving kids out of his way as he does, and bellow (see below). EDIT: In case this is unclear, he'll reach the door next round.

You all hear a voice bellow from the room Adoros is peering into: "Hooky? Hooky! They stopped shoveling! Cut a toe off, they might work faster!" The gnome's eyes dart towards the door, then back to the group of you; he mouths, "Giggles," without actually responding to the call.

DM Dice:

Guard's Swim: 1d20 + 2 - 9 ⇒ (19) + 2 - 9 = 12
Shark Attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6
Shark Damage: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9
Guard's Attack: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14
Guard's Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 3

Vital Stats:

Guards: HP both 8, AC/T/FF 17/10/17, Fort +4, Ref +0, Will-1, CMD 14
Prostitute HP 11, AC/T/FF 12/12/10, Fort +1, Ref +4, Will +2, CMD 11
Hookshanks: HP 0, AC/T/FF 16/13/14, Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +2 [+2 v. illusions], CMD 11
Children: HP 5, AC/T/FF 14/14/11, Fort +0, Ref +3, Will +1, CMD 10
Giggles: HP 12, AC/T/FF 15/11/14, Fort +4, Ref +1, Will +2, CMD 15


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Norv, what kind of action is it to loot Yargin's body?


Female Human (Chelish) Conjurer (Teleportation Focused School) 2
Quick Stats:
Init +8 | AC 12, t 12, ff 10 (16/12/14 Mage Armor) | 14/14 hp | Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +2 | Perception +3

"Celia! She's here? Are you sure?" - Imperia's voice is filled with both hope and fear - "She's my little sister! She was kidnapped, and I-I've searched for her for so long... She's with Lamm!?" - she stands back up from her kneeling position like a spring squeezed too tight and suddenly released - "We have to get there right now! Please! There is no time to waste, we need t-..."

When the mauled gnome so crudely insults her little sister, Imperia suddenly turns toward him, her eyes ablaze with burning rage. "YOU! Don't you dare say another word about my sister, you despicable excuse for a living being! You work for a monster, torturing innocent children for your sick ends! You aren't even worth the air you breathe... And you just drew your very last breath!"

Without the slightest hesitation Imperia steps closer, points her crossbow toward the gnome's chest, and pulls the trigger.

Ranged Attack, Crossbow: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16
Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 4

When it's her turn, move action to get into the room, and standard to attack the soon-to-be-dead gnome!

Remember when I said Imperia is very maternal and protective? Threaten a lioness cubs, and you WILL get eaten! :o

Also, the eagle puffs out of existence... For now! ;)


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

it'd depend on the thoroughness, I think.


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

All right then. Norv, I want to loot that wand and anything that seems important from the body. What kind of action would that be?


Male

Woops, didn't see this continuation. Free action to grab the wand, since he fell down with it in hand; any more thorough searching is going to be a standard action. Nothing else he's wearing seems obviously important. Also, if it wasn't clear; it's y'all's turn, so Imperia's shooting happens now! Man, I thought Hookshanks might make it out of this...

"Graaaaagggghhh!" the gnome screams, and then slumps forward as Imperia's crossbow bolt sprouts from his side. "I hope...the tiefling...takes her..." he snarls as he collapses. He's at -4 hit points, unconscious, and dying.


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

Teodor pitches his voice to match the gnome"s bluff: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (18) + 11 = 29"Just a f@#!in minute!"


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban sighs in relief as he hears that the guards outside are safe. He then glares at the cleric and the armored man. He addresses Teodor first. "We all want Lamm's end. That's why we're here. I'm not commanding you to do anything. What I'm asking you is to show some f*cking compassion and help someone. All mortals need to show compassion to one another. I understand that you worship the End of Everything. I'm okay with that. What I'm not okay with is your complete disregard to those who need. As a servant and cleric of the End, shouldn't you make everyone's end peaceful and painless? So they can embrace their End, rather than fear and reject it? But it seems to be asking you too much. You're just as cold and dead as your moon."

He takes the wand from Yargin's hand as he addresses Adoros. "As for you, Adoros... well, you're a d**k. Plain and simple. All you care about is yourself. The prostitute, the orphans, us, no one matters, just as long as you get revenge. Also, you seem to be pretty stupid. You come into battle, armed to the teeth, and it doesn't seem to cross your mind to get a ranged weapon? Really?" He then proceeds to impersonate the cavalier. "'I don't need a bow or crossbow. It's not like I won't be encountering enemies from a distance. Nooooo. I'm just too good for that.'"

He then addresses them both while searching the body of the criminal formerly known as Yargin. "You two don't care for anyone. I may have been poor. I may have been trained for revenge throughout my entire childhood. I may be an a**hole, but I do have a heart. I don't want any innocents to suffer. Not like me. Those two may have been working for Lamm. But they most likely needed the coin. Welcome to Korvosa! You have to work in the lowest places to make a living. Trust me. I have seen it and, in some cases, experienced it." He looks at the shiver addicted prostitute with a downcast look. Addressing Teodor: "As a former shiver addict, I would expect you to be concerned for the lady here. But again, too much to ask." After finding what he needs, he stands up. "As far as can tell, you two are just as bad as Lamm."

He then stealthily moves through the door next to Teodor. Before he enters the door, he says to Imperia, "Don't worry, love. We'll save her. If I need to sacrifice my life, she'll be coming home with you." He carefully steps a good way into the room. As he does, he thinks, 'The tiefling? Could that be Lamm's guest?'

Stealth: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25

Round 4 Actions
Free Actions: Talk to Adoros, Teodor, and Imperia. Take the wand from Yargin's hand.
Standard Action: Search Yargin's body for anything valuable or useful.
Move Action: Move 15 feet into the room on the right.

I know it seems like a lot of free actions. But according to the site you sent me, I can take one or more free actions.


Male

It's a lot of chit-chat, but among players I don't really mind it. It's only when it comes to multiple skill checks--eg., trying to dig out info out of NPCs--that it's a problem. Don't want to give EVERYTHING away, after all! Nice writing, by the way.

On Yargin's person, you find: the wand; three vials of a nasty-looking greenish liquid (probably acid, given what you remember about Yargin); two sealed canvas sachets that seem to be designed to burst when thrown; a strange cracked black stone; a dagger; a garnet amulet worn under his shirt; and a key tied to his wrist.

EDIT: Didn't realize at first which room you were stepping into. Description below.

The door you slide through can't actually open all the way, but it opens far enough for you to wiggle through. This seems to be an office; before you, preventing the door from opening, stands a table, heaped with dozens of slate boards covered in chalk scrawls. A cabinet slouches against the wall to the east, and to the south, a door out has been boarded over with a few moldy planks. There is another door to the east.


Female Human Brawler 2
Spoiler:
HP: 22/22 // AC: 15 (16 CE), touch: 12 (13 CE), flat-footed: 13 // Fort: +5, Ref: +6, Will: +1 // Init: +2 // Perception: +6

Another ruthless attack and the second of Lamm's lackeys goes down. Raina frowns darkly, this time looking coldly down upon Imperia. The Chelish woman had seemed to have her wits about her, but looks like that was nothing but a guise as well. Too many veils about this place... the wrestler shakes her head sadly, muttering a curse under her breath.

As she begins to move towards Adoros again, Korriban begins to speak. Raina arches an eyebrow as he lectures the others, wisely staying silent and out of what could be an ensuing brawl, but a vague smile dances at the corner of her lips. For all the annoyance the brat had caused her in the brief period of their interactions here (and, of course, the time before at that brothel)... he was, perhaps, the only one showing any kind of moral fortitude here. Now, Raina wasn't one for proselyting, but there really was only one man here who deserved the pain of death, least of all after surrender or being knocked unconscious.

Maybe she could believe Korriban was a virgin now. Maybe. Raina snorts to herself at that.

"Never thought I'd give Korriban the award for being the most well-adjusted individual in the room," Raina mutters as she swings herself up to balance on the edge of the trough beside Adoros.

Not sure if I can do this. Let me know if I can't.

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24

If she sees a hint of light green appearing through the doorway... she's ready to hit him, pow, right in the kisser!

Ready Attack - Unarmed: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15
Damage (Nonlethal): 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7

Mechanics:

Move: Balance along the edge of the trough (if possible)
Standard: Ready an action to punch Giggles if he comes through the door


Male

You absolutely can do it (and you're successful). Do note that it does mean you'll be flat-footed if he attacks you.


Female Human Brawler 2
Spoiler:
HP: 22/22 // AC: 15 (16 CE), touch: 12 (13 CE), flat-footed: 13 // Fort: +5, Ref: +6, Will: +1 // Init: +2 // Perception: +6

Fine with me. I should probably specify that I am "combat expertise-ing" at all times unless otherwise stated, incidentally. It just doesn't change my attack bonus because of my Threatening Defender trait.


Male Human (Chelish(Nobility)) Cavalier of the Cockatrice 4
Spoiler:
hp 40/40 // AC 18/T 12/FF 16 // F +7/R +3/W +1 // Init +3 // Perc +3

Adoros lets Korriban's tirade roll of him as so much background chatter as he slowly inches the door closed again. He quietly motions at the door as his voice lowers slightly, "Giggles is on his way up the stairs beyond this door. He should be here any second. Prepare yourselves." He plants himself, his sword ready to swing at Giggles as he opens the door.

As the precious seconds tick by, Adoros, with his voice still lowered to an angry whisper, addresses Korriban off in the other room, "Yes, those men were only hired to do a job, that is why I didn't not go out of my way to harm them. I have no ranged weapons, yes, nor rope, so was I supposed to jump in into the river in my very heavy armor and drown or better yet, wave my hands and make him magically appear back on land? You speak of compassion yet I did not see you take the first step to offer your assistance to the man outside in his moment of need. No, because of course there is no glory in that is there, Korriban? Why worry about one man's life when there are women to woe and impress, or is it you fear someone else getting to Lamm first and possibly robbing you of your deathblow? You call my intelligence into question and fancy yourself a leader by the way you pass out orders yet a true leader would know his soldiers' capabilities before trying to direct the flow of an engagement. You do not have an archer hold a place in a shieldwall nor order heavy cavalry sap the fortifications. No, you are no leader, Korriban, nor a hero as you no doubt fancy yourself. Did you ever stop to think that once we started this that it would not end until Lamm is no more? That every moment we wait trying to show mercy to those that meant us harm would put more of these innocent children at risk? Lamm and his cronies have more children below and every second we are not pressing forward to remove the head of this diseased operation gives him more time to prepare and use the little ones as hostages. But no, don't let that thought stop you from slowing us down so you can project your own inadequacies on Teodor and myself."


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

Teodor giggles.


Female Human Witch 3
Stats:
hp 7/20 | AC 16 | FF 14 | T 12 | CMD 12 | F+2 / R+4 / W+3 | Init +2 | Per +5

Gadriel gives the children directions to the Church of Erastil. "Hurry there, find safety." She then begins to usher them out, with more urgency once Giggle's is heard.


Male

ROUND 5

Round 4 Recap

Enraged by his term for her sister, Imperia plugs the gnome in the chest with a crossbow bolt. Thinking fast, Teodor calls to the half-orc in a pretty good impression of the gnome's voice, while Korriban loots Yargin's body and lectures Teodor and Adoros about their compassion. Raina clambers up onto the side of the chum trough and waits for Giggles's appearance, while Adoros argues back with Korriban and prepares to take a swing at Giggles. Gadriel gives the orphans in this room instructions to the church of Erastil.

Round 5

The children don't need to be told twice; they bolt out the door and into the night, though the one who had been giving you info pauses at the doorway for a moment. "I hope you kill him," he says, his eyes shining fiercely. "I hope you kill that old man." Then he, too, is gone.

The gnome continues to bleed out, groaning faintly. He's down to -5.

You all wait, poised, for The half-orc to make it to the door. "Hooky?" you hear him say, uncertainly. The door cracks open, and Giggles pokes his head through--and Raina and Adoros both launch their attacks.

Adoros, I'm going to go ahead and roll for your readied attack to speed things along.
Greatsword: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12
Damage: 2d6 + 4 ⇒ (4, 4) + 4 = 12

Raina's fist lashes out, but Giggles's head jerks back and her blow splinters the edge of the doorframe (since he can't fully enter the room he has cover, unfortunately). Adoros's swing flies true, but the half-orc, to your surprise, catches the sword on his shield and deflects it. He takes in the scene behind you--the orphans gone, the gnome dying--and bellows in laughter. "AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I'mma crunch your booones!" He follows up his words with a powerful swing of his flail that lands right on Adoros's shoulder with (true to his promise) a sickening crack. For a whopping (and max, bad luck there) 11 damage!

It's the party's turn, in the order of posting!

DM Dice:

Dying Save: 1d20 + 2 - 4 ⇒ (9) + 2 - 4 = 7
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
Flail Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19
Flail Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11

Vital Stats:

Giggles: HP 12, AC/T/FF 15/11/14, Fort +4, Ref +1, Will+2, CMD 15
Prostitute HP 11, AC/T/FF 12/12/10, Fort +1, Ref +4, Will +2, CMD 11
Hookshanks: HP -5, AC/T/FF 16/13/14, Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +2 [+2 v. illusions], CMD 11
Children: HP 5, AC/T/FF 14/14/11, Fort +0, Ref +3, Will +1, CMD 10


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

Teodor casts Lesser Confusion on Giggles.Giggles' will save: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7effect: 1d100 ⇒ 46

Giggles lowers his guard and babbles for the round.


Male Human (Chelish(Nobility)) Cavalier of the Cockatrice 4
Spoiler:
hp 40/40 // AC 18/T 12/FF 16 // F +7/R +3/W +1 // Init +3 // Perc +3

Round 5, Initiative 14

Standard Action: Attack Giggles with Greatsword.
Move Action: 5-foot step back to draw him forward or let Raina get a hit in.

Greatsword Attack vs Giggles: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10

Adoros' armor does what it can to absorb the bone shattering blow from Giggles but the force behind the flail is enough to almost bring the Chelish man to one knee. A painfilled gasp escapes Adoros' lips as his grip on his greatsword loosens. He can already feel the shoulder joint begin to swell and stiffen as he struggles readjusting his hold on his sword's hilt and performs a weak upward cut at Giggles. Midway through his swing, Adoros feels his shoulder tighten as he ends his cut prematurely and takes a few steps backwards from the door, "Damn you, knave. As dumb as a ton of masonary stones and you hit just as hard."

Someone might have to move my icon. I can't access Google Docs at work.


Female Human Witch 3
Stats:
hp 7/20 | AC 16 | FF 14 | T 12 | CMD 12 | F+2 / R+4 / W+3 | Init +2 | Per +5

Gadriel shifts her attention from the fleeing children to the nightmare that is Giggles. Abu shrieks and dances on her shoulder, while Gadriel hisses. "We are not scared of you anymore either."

Gadriel will hex Giggles with an Evil Eye against his AC.

Evil Eye:
(Su): The witch can cause doubt to creep into the mind of a foe within 30 feet that she can see. The target takes a –2 penalty on one of the following (witch's choice): AC, ability checks, attack rolls, saving throws, or skill checks. This hex lasts for a number of rounds equal to 3 + the witch's Intelligence modifier. A Will save reduces this to just 1 round.


Female Human Brawler 2
Spoiler:
HP: 22/22 // AC: 15 (16 CE), touch: 12 (13 CE), flat-footed: 13 // Fort: +5, Ref: +6, Will: +1 // Init: +2 // Perception: +6

Raina winces profusely as she watches Adoros very nearly get brained by the nasty-looking flail. A few centimetres to the left and she was pretty sure he'd be well and truly down and out from that one. "Ouch. You alright there, man?"Seems like Giggles was more of a dangerous foe than she expected. The young woman eyes up the half-orc much more cautiously than before, frowning.

"Alright, no more of that now!" she says with a low growl, stepping down from the trough to face up to the half-orc. Being practically half his height, she's probably not that intimidating... at least until she grabs him by the collar and roughly tosses him to the ground!

Trip: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20 Should work, even with some cover from the doorway.

"Stay down there, ya a&~*@~!&," she spits, deftly leaping over his prone form to put herself between Giggles and the children.

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25 Would've been nice on my attack roll...


Male

Giggles's eyes go wide, and he begins to babble. He still has enough presence of mind to flinch away from Adoros's blade, but he cows under Gadriel's glare and Raina's trip easily floors him.

Once you're on the catwalk, Raina, you see that there are several other children in the room--two on the ground, one on the stairs behind you, and two on the opposite catwalk. You also see a hole in the floor, perhaps originally cut for lowering or accessing boats, which has a knotted rope coiled next to it, tied off to a nearby beam.


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban is about to search the wardrobe before hearing his allies. After a few seconds (with Adoros's words sniping at his thoughts), he moves through the eastern door, his now heavier bag slowing him down. He bursts through the door. He looks northward, seeing Raina take him down. He runs down the walkway, moving past a frieghtend orphan. "Excuse me!" At the end of the walkway, he jumps onto the lip of the slop bowl.

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 7 - 3 ⇒ (20) + 7 - 3 = 24
-3 comes from carrying a medium load. But I doubled the check! Whoo! Now if only I can get that lucky in combat.

Like a majestic eagle, Korriban seems to fly through the air, landing on the lip in a crouch, showing no problems whatsoever. He seems to be moving like Abu or a predatory cat. He stares at the prone form of Giggles. His voices whispers out in malice. "Hello, Giggles. Remember me? It's honestly quite nice to see you... it'll be even nicer when you're dead."

Round 5 Actions
Korriban's going to move double his speed (80 feet with medium load). He ends movement at the lip of the slop bowl.


Female Human (Chelish) Conjurer (Teleportation Focused School) 2
Quick Stats:
Init +8 | AC 12, t 12, ff 10 (16/12/14 Mage Armor) | 14/14 hp | Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +2 | Perception +3

Imperia stares for a long moment at the dying gnome's body, before finally averting her gaze. While striving to appear calm and collected, it's rather obvious at present she's anything but.

Reloading her crossbow with slightly trembling hands, she turns toward the others, and for the first time notices how tense the situation seems to be getting between her companions. Before the quarrelling could degenerate further, Imperia tries to step in and cool down the spirits.

"Friends, please!" - she addresses them, her tone soft but firm - "We are so close to put an end to the atrocities that monster of Lamm perpetrated for so many years, and we can't let our own squabbling keep us from succeeding! - she pauses for a moment, taking a deep breath - "We are all here for different reasons, but with a common goal, and if we work together, we will reach it. Today, we will make Lamm pay for his crimes! Come on now, we need to go, time is of the essence!"

Hearing Korriban's promise, she offers the dashing rogue a tentative smile and whispers a heartfelt word of thanks, then gets to preparing herself for the inevitable upcoming fight.

As soon as the Half-Orc makes it to the room, everything happens in mere moments, and before Imperia can properly react, Lamm's goon is prone on the floor and surrounded. Determined to reach her sister as quickly as possible, Imperia steps beside Adoros, ready to shoot her crossbow at the prone Half-Orc as soon as she's able.

Round 5 Actions: Move action to reload crossbow, another move action to 'get in position' to shot Giggles next round (if he's still alive, that is! ;P)


Male

ROUND 6

Round 5 Recap
After Giggles bursts through the door, Teodor makes some strange gestures and mutterings at him, and he bursts out babbling. Adoros takes a swing at him, cut short by his shoulder, but Raina manages to floor him with a well-placed kick, vaulting over him onto the catwalk beyond. Gadriel casts an evil eye on him, and Imperia readies her crossbow, while on the other side of the room Korriban bursts from the door and vaults to a perfect landing on the lip of the vat.

Round 6

For his part, Giggles just rolls on the floor, staring at the lot of you and babbling incoherently at things he can't see. It sounds like some bizarre gibberish language, and it makes your flesh crawl...well, everyone's except Teodor's.

The children seem stunned and uncertain of what to do. Several back timidly away from the violence.

DM dice:

Giggles's Will save v. evil eye: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6 Bad luck, Giggles. A -2 penalty for 8 rounds...not likely to last that long.
Hookshank's death save: 1d20 + 2 - 5 ⇒ (1) + 2 - 5 = -2And down to -6...

Vital Stats:

Prostitute HP 11, AC/T/FF 12/12/10, Fort +1, Ref +4, Will +2, CMD 11
Hookshanks: HP -6, AC/T/FF 16/13/14, Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +2 [+2 v. illusions], CMD 11
Children: HP 5, AC/T/FF 14/14/11, Fort +0, Ref +3, Will +1, CMD 10
Giggles: HP: 12, AC/T/FF 13 (9 v. melee, 17 v. ranged)/11/14, Fort +4, Ref +1, Will +2, CMD 15

It's the party's turn, in order of posting! As Teodor comes back up, Giggles slowly stops babbling, and his eyes refocus.


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Korriban carefully moves across the lid to get closer to the raving Giggles.

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 7 - 3 ⇒ (17) + 7 - 3 = 21

Korriban's careful planning pays off as he skillfully moves across the lid in a manner that would impress Gadriel. :) He then lashes at Giggles with the rapier still in his hand. 'Please, Calistria. Let me hit!'

Attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17
Damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
YES!!!! :D

Calistria's hand guides Korriban as his rapier strike true. The point stabs through the half-orc's chest.

Round 6 Actions
Move Action: Move 10 feet across lip of bowl
Standard Action: Attack Giggles

EDIT: This post has been edited. Sorry, Norv. Rolling a d20 has just become instinct.


Male

Very nice! :D ...but I don't think rapiers deal d20 damage. Try 1d6+1. :P


Male Human (Chelish(Nobility)) Cavalier of the Cockatrice 4
Spoiler:
hp 40/40 // AC 18/T 12/FF 16 // F +7/R +3/W +1 // Init +3 // Perc +3

Round 6, Initiative 14

Move Action: 5-foot step back toward Giggles.
Standard Action: Attack Giggles with Greatsword.

Greatsword Attack vs Giggles: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21
Greatsword Damage vs Giggles: 2d6 + 4 ⇒ (4, 4) + 4 = 12

Adoros steps closer to the prone babbling Giggles, dragging his greatsword along with him before he attempts to lift it again for a downward vertical slash to cut the half-orc in twain. His shoulder protests with sharp stabbing pains which causes the Chelish man to groan with effort. As he finally lifts his sword up and holds it over Giggles, Adoros glares down at the man and says "Laugh about this, cur" before letting gravity help with his attack.


Female Human Witch 3
Stats:
hp 7/20 | AC 16 | FF 14 | T 12 | CMD 12 | F+2 / R+4 / W+3 | Init +2 | Per +5

With a look of hate on her childish face, Gadriel says to Giggles "Abu thinks you are due for bad luck. Be happy, he does not want your eyes." Oddly, Abu just nods. Yet once again, his eyes glow in a sinister fashion before Gadriel turns towards the hall. Moving towards the doorway, she calls for the children in the room "Quick! This way, we know of a place of safety. Flee now, flee from your fear, find the Church of Erastil. They will keep you safe for now, until you can find your family," and she begins to usher the children out away from where Giggles is.

Gadriel will us a Misfortune Hex on Giggles before moving to the doorway to call for the children to escape.

Misfortune:
(Su): The witch can cause a creature within 30 feet to suffer grave misfortune for 1 round. Anytime the creature makes an ability check, attack roll, saving throw, or skill check, it must roll twice and take the worse result. A Will save DC 15 negates this hex. This hex affects all rolls the target must make while it lasts. Whether or not the save is successful, a creature cannot be the target of this hex again for 1 day.


Male

Ouch.

As Korriban's blade sinks into the half-orc's shoulder, Adoros drags himself up to the downed foe. The greatsword thrums through the air before landing with a sickening squelching noise on Giggles's belly. The half-orc howls in pain, and lies still. The children, already looking panicked, flee in terror through the door on the lower level--you can hear them pounding up the stairs of the loading dock and away.

The fishery suddenly seems very still...

We're out of combat! Initiative wiped clean, etc. The description of the room is in my third-to-last post, though everything should be pretty obvious.

Giggles and Hookshanks are both unconscious and dying, at -4 and -6 hp respectively.


Male

Forgot to do this:
Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14
Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24


Male Human (Varisian) hp 45/56 | AC 22/T 17/FF 15 | CMD 22 | Fort +4 | Ref +7 [+8 v traps] | Will +2 | Init +6 | Perc +13 (+15 to locate traps) | SM +17

Seeing Giggles breathe his last, Korriban hops off the slop bowl onto the walkway where the half-orc stood.

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 7 - 3 ⇒ (9) + 7 - 3 = 13

Barely making it, he lands and nods at Adoros before checking the orc's corpse and stripping it of it's valuables. During this, he says, "Adoros. Teodor. I would like to apologize for my earlier actions and words. I was... somewhat out of line. Imperia's right. We have to work together. Meaning that it would be ideal if we keep squabbles to a minimum. In fact, as a sign of good will, I'd like to give you both these." He then digs through his left pouch and pulls out two of the three vials of acid. "Found these on Yargin's body. He had three of these. You can each have one if you want."

After making amends and collecting the items from Giggle's corpse, he turns and heads into the previous room. Seeing Imperia, he heads to her. He searches through his pack and shows her the wand. "This belonged to Yargin. Maybe you can tell me more about it."

He then heads to the prostitute. He leans against the doorframe, a solemn and concerned look on his face. "Are you all right? Do you have somewhere to go? I do know a place you can go to stay and get better. Familiar with the Rosa in Fiore?"

Take 10 on Diplomacy: 10 + 9 = 19.

After that, he heads to the nearby cabinet. After looking through that, he heads to the room he came from. the room with the cabinet and the boarded door. He then goes to the cabinet in there and goes to search through it.

After he searches through everything, he rejoins his group. Along the way, he looks at the new garnet amulet around his neck very closely.

Taking 20 on Appraise: 20 + 1 = 21.


M Human (Ustalavian) Cleric of Groetus 3/Slum Shaman 1/Evangelist of Groetus 5

"Acid ...how perfect! You DO love me, hee hee hee ...but Adoros the Adorable ...you look hurt. Perhaps I can ...help."

151 to 200 of 5,161 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Dying City: DM Norv's "Curse of the Crimson Throne" All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.