The Dragon's Demand PbP

Game Master dickie

Roll20 Page


1 to 50 of 1,940 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Spitter:
The first meeting with the townsfolk of Belhaim did not go well for Spitter. A little human farm girl screamed in fear and her parents acted like parents would. Since then, the people seem to be a little on edge. He might have hoped to make up for the bad start by befriending the local druid, but he has yet to track him or her down and has only seen the occasional marking in the secret language of druids here and there. Spitter has also seen some signs of other kobolds in the general area, but up until five minutes ago had not seen them.

Five minutes ago, he watched a pair of green scaled kobolds approach a large human dwelling. They knocked and an old human answered. After a brief exchange Spitter could not hear, the human slammed the door and the kobolds scurried off to the block, ruined castle tower everyone in town seems to avoid.

Two minutes ago, the ground began to shake violently. A sinkhole opened beneath a portion of the tower, and the building collapsed in a deafening landslide. Spitter can clearly see a couple of crushed kobolds in the rubble. Three kobolds emerge from the rubble, running quickly for the door to the manor they had been to earlier. One grabs the door handle and is immediately immolated by a powerful magical trap. The other two flee after their compatriot's charred corpse hits the ground.

Things become quiet for a moment, but the town is beginning to investigate. It won't be long before the townsfolk arrive wondering what happened.

Everyone Else:

It seemed like a simple caravan job. Pay would wait until a hire-on left the caravan, but the food was remarkably good despite being cooked on the road. Silas Gribb, the caravan master, even had imported coffee from Katapesh. The weather was pleasant and mild for late summer, and the most dangerous situation the caravan ran into before Belhaim was a harmless prank involving shoes filled with mud, likely perpetrated by some rambunctious fae.

Things changed radically when the caravan came to Belhaim. Within seconds of arriving and looking forward to sleeping in a real bed at the local inn, The Wise Piper, a group of guardsmen led by Sheriff Benhovy arrested everyone.

An hour later the sheriff is convinced that none of you were involved in Silas Gribb's smuggling operation and cuts you loose. Unfortunately, no one is getting paid since all of the caravan goods have been impounded and the sheriff and town's best deputies are taking them, Gribb, and Gribb's crew through the Verduran to Cassomir.

"You poor dears, caught up like that because of a criminal!" Talia Orem, the proprietor of The Wise Piper, says to you, "You four just take a seat in the common room, we'll get you some stew while I have a maid prepare some rooms. You can stay here a day or two while you figure out what you need to do next."

Before anyone can get comfortable there is a loud crashing sound from the east side of the town. A sort of continuous peal of thunder that reverberates and echoes for what seems like a full minute. A human woman runs into the Inn's common room and shouts in a tone that is both excited and anxious, "The Witch Tower! It is gone!" This causes a commotion and the town begins to pour out into the streets.


Female Human Gravewalker Witch 3 | HP 20/20 | AC 12 Touch 12 Flat-Footed 10 | CMB +1 CMD 13 | Saves: Fort +2 Ref +3 Will +5 | Perception: +5 | Init: +2 | Status: Normal | Spell Effects:

The strange, pale young woman who has made company with the three caravan guards during the last leg of their journey looks up from where she sits hunched over her bowl of stew at the raucous noise outside. Her eerie grey eyes stare off into the distance from under a curtain of wild, silver-white tresses, toward where the sound seems to originate from, a small crease forming between her brows as she tries to concentrate on what the source could possibly be. The seconds drag on, and once the noise dies off, Maellyra simply shrugs and tucks back into her meal. The hospitality of the townsfolk was not something that was often extended to her, and she didn't intend to squander the opportunity for a warm meal and a safe place to bed down for the night to investigate some odd sound.

That is, until the townswoman bursts into the inn with her announcement. The Witch Tower? I don't recall any mention of such a thing before. What is its purpose, I wonder... As people begin filing out to bear witness to the event, Maellyra collects her tattered knapsack and slinks out onto the street after them. Walking up behind one of the locals a little ways away from the crowd, she asks him in her breathy voice, "What is The Witch Tower?"


Hp 33/43 | AC: 20, T: 12, FF: 18, CMD: 21 | Saves F +6, R +6, W +2 | Init +2 | Perception +9, Sense Motive +5 | Status: Fatigued

Pavo sat at the table fuming. Whatever appetite he had was gone, replaced with anger at feeling the fool. He should have trusted his instincts more, should have listened to his gut. Any man with imported coffee had more money than he let on about. Still, that coffee was almost worth being made a fool of. Almost.

"Thank you Talia. Your generosity and kindness is humbling. Would you happen..." Pavo's question was cut short by a loud crash. His hands instinctively went for weapons as his knees bent and he took up a defensive posture. When the woman entered he spun about and began to draw the trident off of his back. As the woman alerted the occupants to this Witch Tower, he relaxed a bit realizing there was no immediate threat, but a warning instead.

Not really knowing what else to do, he followed the others outside, eyes darting back and forth as he moved. Being taken by a criminal so recently, Pavo was still on edge.


Male Kobold (Blue-Scaled) Tempest Druid 5 | HP 32/34| Speed 30ft | AC 16, touch 13, flat-footed 14, CMD 12 | Fort +5 : Ref +3 : Will +8 | Wild Empathy: +6 | Stealth +11; Perception +12 | Resist Elec 5 | Hero Points: 2/3 left| Active: Light Sensitive

Gripping his muzzle so as not to scream in frustration, Spitter realized he was in a dilemma: He wanted to run to check the fallen kobold at the human's house-cave, but his curiosity over the tower's fall makes him wonder if this was the sign Gozreh had warned him about, and to look out for!

There was no choice really of course. Spitter quickly runs to the fallen kobold at the house-cave, his vestigial wings catching the air a bit and pulling his meager cloak back in the process. Kneeling, he checks the green-kin's vitals and see if he could help him!

Heal: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22


One of the townsfolk turns to answer Maellyra's question, hesitating when he first sees her. "Uh, it was Lady Tula's castle. It's been empty since Baron Sarvo Canteclure died." The man rushes away, clearly unnerved by the pale witch's appearance.

Many in the crowd seem to be hanging back, and many more are rushing home to make sure their families are safe. Closer to the site of the collapse, a few townies can be seen approaching the area. A pair of deputies bearing torches are leading the pack.


Spitter can instantly tell that the kobold is dead. It seems likely that he died instantly from the spell's attack. As fast as it had happened, it seems unlikely he suffered much, if at all.

The sounds of excited and worried humans draws Spitter's attention away from the fallen kobold. The citizens of Belhaim are approaching, with two armed humans closest to the tower, light from their torches casting shadows in the gloomy dusk.


Male Human Monk (wanderer, weapon adept) 5 | 40/43 HP | AC 17 T 17 FF 13 | Fort +7 Ref +8 Will +7 | Initiative +3 | Perception +10 | Perfect Strike 4/5 | Ki Pool 4/4

"And how does an entire tower just disappear?" muses the bland, average-faced wanderer who seemed like he'd be just as happy walking the road alone as with the caravan. After a moment he shrugs, pushes his chair out of the table, and meanders outside to crane his head around like the other curiosity-seekers. He tips back his straw hat and rests his hands around the chain wrapped around his midsection.


Male Kobold (Blue-Scaled) Tempest Druid 5 | HP 32/34| Speed 30ft | AC 16, touch 13, flat-footed 14, CMD 12 | Fort +5 : Ref +3 : Will +8 | Wild Empathy: +6 | Stealth +11; Perception +12 | Resist Elec 5 | Hero Points: 2/3 left| Active: Light Sensitive

"Dragon Poop!"

Hating being between a rock and a dragon's claw, Spitter falls back into nature and scurries off back into a nearby field or tree stand. He does not stop however, as he immediately tries to cover his tracks so he's not followed!

Survival(Obscuring Trail!): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9

Unsure of his success in his haste, he continues to stick to the terrain surrounding the fallen tower and circle around the pink-skin's fallen edifice.

Heart hammering in his small chest, Spitter quickly gets closer to the scene of the collapse from the tower's side facing away from all the incoming city traffic! Grabbing some bushes, he hides and listens carefully hoping to hear something that might indicate his god's involvement!

Stealth: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8
Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22

Wow! The dice roller's against me today!


Male Suli Paladin (Iroran Paladin) 3 | HP 28/28 | AC 21 TO 16 FF 15 | F +8 R +7 W +7 | CMD 19 | Imm Disease | Acid 7 Cold 7 Elec 7 Fire 7 | Init +5 | Perc +1 LLV | PT 1/1 | EA 3/3

The Paladin stayed on the back of the caravan, most of the time, and with the whole "criminal being arrested and no payment" thing, he preferred refraining from saying anything.

When he sat by the table, waiting for the stew, he thanked Talia with a gracious smile, while looked around to better acquaint with his companions. Finally, when the news of the witch's disappearing tower came, he stood up.

We should go investigate. - he said, completing what Leng has said. Being a worshipper of Irori, he had found identification with the monk - After arriving in a criminal's caravan, this might be the way of showing our good intentions and, possibly, find another job and mission.


Female Human Gravewalker Witch 3 | HP 20/20 | AC 12 Touch 12 Flat-Footed 10 | CMB +1 CMD 13 | Saves: Fort +2 Ref +3 Will +5 | Perception: +5 | Init: +2 | Status: Normal | Spell Effects:

Lady Tula? Was she a witch? Though the man had answered her question, Maellyra finds that a fair few more are raised with this new bit of knowledge. As much as she would like to have those answers as well, the man's reaction is enough to deter the witch from pressing any more of the townsfolk for information. Distancing herself a bit from the locals, Maellyra makes it a point to keep close to those three she had come into town with, hoping that being seen with them would help keep the townsfolk from being on edge in her presence.

The paladin's suggestion provided an elegant solution to the problem. Offering to investigate the fallen tower would give her the opportunity to learn the secrets of it for herself, and perhaps even go a ways toward garnering the tolerance - if not trust - of the townsfolk. "I agree," Maellyra states simply in that haunting voice of hers, though she makes no move to approach the deputies. If they wanted to persuade the town of their good intentions, it would be best if someone else made the first move.

Might be the wrong category knowledge skill, but just in case...
Knowledge (Local) (Lady Tula): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10
Knowledge (Local) (Baron Sarvo): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14


Hp 33/43 | AC: 20, T: 12, FF: 18, CMD: 21 | Saves F +6, R +6, W +2 | Init +2 | Perception +9, Sense Motive +5 | Status: Fatigued

"Someone could be hurt. We may as well lend a hand" Pavo said matter-of-factly. To him, it was a simple enough reason to walk into the unknown. One did what had to be done. He strode forward quickly, trying to make his way through the crowd when it came to that. He didn't really know where he was going, but since most people were headed in the opposite direction he went the other way.


Maellyra wrote:

Lady Tula? Was she a witch? Though the man had answered her question, Maellyra finds that a fair few more are raised with this new bit of knowledge. As much as she would like to have those answers as well, the man's reaction is enough to deter the witch from pressing any more of the townsfolk for information. Distancing herself a bit from the locals, Maellyra makes it a point to keep close to those three she had come into town with, hoping that being seen with them would help keep the townsfolk from being on edge in her presence.

The paladin's suggestion provided an elegant solution to the problem. Offering to investigate the fallen tower would give her the opportunity to learn the secrets of it for herself, and perhaps even go a ways toward garnering the tolerance - if not trust - of the townsfolk. "I agree," Maellyra states simply in that haunting voice of hers, though she makes no move to approach the deputies. If they wanted to persuade the town of their good intentions, it would be best if someone else made the first move.

Might be the wrong category knowledge skill, but just in case...
[dice=Knowledge (Local) (Lady Tula)]1d20+6
[dice=Knowledge (Local) (Baron Sarvo)]1d20+6

Local works well enough, history or nobility would probably get you a little farther. That being said:

What M knows of Tula:
Lady Tula Belhaim was a respected dragon slayer during the peak of Taldor's empire.

And Sarvo:
Baron Sarvo was part of a failed rebellion roughly 200 years ago.


The dust is still filling the air from the recent collapse, and two deputies are doing a terrible job of controlling the small crowd which has gathered at the site. The two, one a man and the other a woman, seem to be arguing over which of them gets to go inform the Baroness and which has to tell someone named Hunclay about the collapse. In addition to the small crowd of humans, there is a particularly colorfully dressed gnome staring at the rubble and clicking her tongue.

As the four would-be heroes approach the fallen tower, they immediately spot two green scaled kobolds half buried in the rubble. Neither appears to be moving.

Just some DM rolls:
Leng Perception: 1d20 + 6 - 12 ⇒ (18) + 6 - 12 = 12
Maellyra Perception: 1d20 + 3 - 12 ⇒ (16) + 3 - 12 = 7
Pavo Perception: 1d20 + 5 - 12 ⇒ (11) + 5 - 12 = 4
Shayn Perception: 1d20 + 1 - 12 ⇒ (2) + 1 - 12 = -9

Leng:
Leng sees movement at the other side of the pile of rocks and dirt, and after a moment realizes it is a kobold with blue scales crouching behind cover and observing the gathering crowd.

By the way, the Roll20 map is current. At the moment I only have Spitter and Maellyra with images/tokens, so claim one of those slots and put a pic up or I'll just grab any old image :)


Hp 33/43 | AC: 20, T: 12, FF: 18, CMD: 21 | Saves F +6, R +6, W +2 | Init +2 | Perception +9, Sense Motive +5 | Status: Fatigued

Pavo continued to move forward, closer to the rubble, picking his way in between the gathering crowd. Eyeing the two local constables squabbling, Pavo tried interject himself and offer his assistance.

"Pardon me, but could I offer my assistance? You look like you two could use a hand."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17


Female Human Gravewalker Witch 3 | HP 20/20 | AC 12 Touch 12 Flat-Footed 10 | CMB +1 CMD 13 | Saves: Fort +2 Ref +3 Will +5 | Perception: +5 | Init: +2 | Status: Normal | Spell Effects:

Maellyra moves through the crowd in the wake left behind by Pavo, though she stops some feet away when he goes to address the deputies, having no desire to bring herself to the attention of the town's law twice in the same day. Instead, against her better judgement, she tries to engage once more with one of the locals, hoping that the brightly dressed gnome will be somewhat more tolerant than her human counterparts. "The tower's collapse upsets you. Why?"


Male Kobold (Blue-Scaled) Tempest Druid 5 | HP 32/34| Speed 30ft | AC 16, touch 13, flat-footed 14, CMD 12 | Fort +5 : Ref +3 : Will +8 | Wild Empathy: +6 | Stealth +11; Perception +12 | Resist Elec 5 | Hero Points: 2/3 left| Active: Light Sensitive

Spitter curses at his luck for hiding behind bush covered in ancient mortar dust! His blue scales stand out too easily, spoiling his attempt at hiding! Fearing to move, lest he be seen...he freezes in place, praying silently to the Storm Who Talks that nobody looks in his direction!


Pavo "Fish" Krupt wrote:

Pavo continued to move forward, closer to the rubble, picking his way in between the gathering crowd. Eyeing the two local constables squabbling, Pavo tried interject himself and offer his assistance.

"Pardon me, but could I offer my assistance? You look like you two could use a hand."

The two deputies stop bickering and look suspiciously at Pavo. The man asks him, "Didn't the sheriff arrest you or something?"

The woman interjects before he can answer. "No, stupid, see? That's why you need to talk to Hunclay. If you talk to Baroness Devy you're only going to annoy her!"

The pair start to get into a shouting match again.

Maellyra wrote:
Maellyra moves through the crowd in the wake left behind by Pavo, though she stops some feet away when he goes to address the deputies, having no desire to bring herself to the attention of the town's law twice in the same day. Instead, against her better judgement, she tries to engage once more with one of the locals, hoping that the brightly dressed gnome will be somewhat more tolerant than her human counterparts. "The tower's collapse upsets you. Why?"

The gnome glances at Maellyra, her eyes widening, but in curiousity rather than fear. "Sweetie, the Bleaching is a gnome thing," she chuckles, "And it isn't really so literal." She turns her attention back to the collapsed tower. "If I seem upset, it is more for the bad memories than to see it fall. Tula was such a great friend..." The gnome's eyes water a bit. She wipes a tear and sighs. "Well, life is about new memories and experiences, right? If you're really interested in the tower, come find me at home tomorrow. Just down Canteclure Road."


Male Human Monk (wanderer, weapon adept) 5 | 40/43 HP | AC 17 T 17 FF 13 | Fort +7 Ref +8 Will +7 | Initiative +3 | Perception +10 | Perfect Strike 4/5 | Ki Pool 4/4

Leng moves over to the pile of rocks and dirt and then, without warning, sits down on it.


Male Kobold (Blue-Scaled) Tempest Druid 5 | HP 32/34| Speed 30ft | AC 16, touch 13, flat-footed 14, CMD 12 | Fort +5 : Ref +3 : Will +8 | Wild Empathy: +6 | Stealth +11; Perception +12 | Resist Elec 5 | Hero Points: 2/3 left| Active: Light Sensitive

Will save to prevent running!...DC 12?: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11

Seeing the tall pale pink-skin approach his hiding spot and sit upon the rocks purposely, Spitter naturally panics and runs! He was nearly caught!

Full withdrawal/run for the nearest standing cover!

*"Dragon Poop!"

*Translated from the modern Draconic!


Male Suli Paladin (Iroran Paladin) 3 | HP 28/28 | AC 21 TO 16 FF 15 | F +8 R +7 W +7 | CMD 19 | Imm Disease | Acid 7 Cold 7 Elec 7 Fire 7 | Init +5 | Perc +1 LLV | PT 1/1 | EA 3/3

We're here in peace, like my friend said, offering our assistance. The previous happenings with us were just a misunderstanding. - completes the paladin, adding a smile.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23

I tried to add an image on Roll20 but not sure I know how to. Sorry! :$ Maybe I don't have the permissions?


Female Human Gravewalker Witch 3 | HP 20/20 | AC 12 Touch 12 Flat-Footed 10 | CMB +1 CMD 13 | Saves: Fort +2 Ref +3 Will +5 | Perception: +5 | Init: +2 | Status: Normal | Spell Effects:

At the gnome's bleaching comment, Maellyra's hand rises to settle lightly on her own pallid cheek for a moment before moving to seize a lock of her bone-white hair and pull it from her face as if to study it for the first time. Truth was that the young woman held no clue as to why exactly she possessed such unusual coloration, and could only surmise that it must have something to do with the dark powers that had taken such a keen interest in her. Whatever the reason, Maellyra was not one to put any great value in her looks but for the way it made others treat her, and since the gnome didn't seem in the least concerned about her appearance that so easily unsettled most people, the witch let the comment slide without sparing it a second thought. "I will look for you tomorrow," Maellyra promises, her lips turning up ever so slightly in the briefest of smiles as she bids farewell to the gnome.

Drawing nearer to the collapse, Maellyra offers her assistance to the deputies in her own way; that is, by being in proximity to Shayn and Pavo when they offer their assistance and wordlessly nodding in agreement. Catching sight of a streak of blue darting away from the crowd, Maellyra points a bony finger at the​ retreating kobold. "That one may know of what happened here."


The debating deputies stop fighting and stare at Shayn, trying to decide how to react. Both seem to relax, until they see the fleeing kobold. They glance at each other, then begin to draw their weapons.

Before their swords clear their scabbards, a woman's voice shouts, "Hold, deputies!" The woman is a middle aged human dressed in clothes that display some wealth and influence, even if they're a few years out of style. Beside her is a human man about half her age, also well dressed and remaining quiet. "A single kobold is unlikely to be a threat, and the young woman is correct, he may know what happened."

Draconic:
"Please go not. Talk us what happen?" the woman shouts toward Spitter. Her accent is terrible, and she is far from fluent.

She sighs heavily. "Has anyone seen that Hunclay? I find it suspicious that he isn't in the crowd looking smug or maybe even applauding..."


Male Kobold (Blue-Scaled) Tempest Druid 5 | HP 32/34| Speed 30ft | AC 16, touch 13, flat-footed 14, CMD 12 | Fort +5 : Ref +3 : Will +8 | Wild Empathy: +6 | Stealth +11; Perception +12 | Resist Elec 5 | Hero Points: 2/3 left| Active: Light Sensitive
DM Dickie wrote:
"Please go not. Talk us what happen?" the woman shouts toward Spitter. Her accent is terrible, and she is far from fluent.

Spitter immediately stops, scrabbling at the grass with his clawed toes in order to stop before leaving the open field. Clenching his small walking stick with a tight grip, he flutters his vestigial wings nervously and pushes himself to reply.

The pink-skins were only looking at him. LOOKING. Maybe...

Draconic:
"You speak and do not throw stones this time pink-skins? Talk? What do you want from Spitter?"


Male Suli Paladin (Iroran Paladin) 3 | HP 28/28 | AC 21 TO 16 FF 15 | F +8 R +7 W +7 | CMD 19 | Imm Disease | Acid 7 Cold 7 Elec 7 Fire 7 | Init +5 | Perc +1 LLV | PT 1/1 | EA 3/3

My name is Shayn Veilsong, and these are my companions - the young woman is Maellyra, this blond gentleman is Leng, and our strong friend is Pavo. - introduces the paladin - It's nice to meet you, lady. We don't know where this... Hunclay... Might be, but we'd gladly help you sort the occurrences here.

The suli didn't really understand what the woman was speaking to the kobold, but in his heart he'd always be willing to look for good and redemption in any kind of creature. He shook his head in agreement to Maellyra, and just waited for answers.


Male Human Monk (wanderer, weapon adept) 5 | 40/43 HP | AC 17 T 17 FF 13 | Fort +7 Ref +8 Will +7 | Initiative +3 | Perception +10 | Perfect Strike 4/5 | Ki Pool 4/4

Leng leans back on the pile of rocks and grins. He rolls on to his side to regard the blue kobold guilelessly. "This fellah didn't make the tower disappear, but Maellyra's right, he may have seen something."


Male Kobold (Blue-Scaled) Tempest Druid 5 | HP 32/34| Speed 30ft | AC 16, touch 13, flat-footed 14, CMD 12 | Fort +5 : Ref +3 : Will +8 | Wild Empathy: +6 | Stealth +11; Perception +12 | Resist Elec 5 | Hero Points: 2/3 left| Active: Light Sensitive

Understanding what the pale-man said, the Spitter moves back toward the group slowly and replies in the common tongue of the realm. He gestures with his walking stick and two claws on from his other hand as if they were a tower falling and little legs running along.

"I saw...tower fall. Green-scales running. Dying. Door that trap-zapped them!"

At the last part he points toward the large cave-home of where the door-trap killed the green scaled kobold.

"I...I tried to save the green-scale there. But the trap was powerful magic! He was sent to the Egg-Home, beyond the Sky-Voice...too quickly!"

By the time he finishes speaking he remains only a stone's-throw away from the group again.


Several in the crowd of commoners and tradesfolk hurry away. Some with worry, others knowing the situation is under control. The gnome woman looks at the wealthy woman with an approving glance, nods to her and walks over the bridge to her home.

When Spitter describes the trap and points, the middle aged woman curses. "Hunclay." The deputies both walk over to the charred corpse. The man nearly loses his lunch at the sight, and the female deputy looks as green as the kobold's scales were before falling victim to the trap.

For the first time the younger man speaks up. "Mother, we know he wanted to tear that thing down, and now he is not here. Where is he?"

The woman sighs. And turns to the suli. "Sir Shayn? You are a knight of some order, are you not? Perhaps a knight-errant? And the associates you introduced, they are...skilled in ways my remaining deputies are not? It would seem I have need of an investigative team. I need to know what happened exactly. Was Hunclay involved in the collapse? Why are there kobolds here?" She closes her eyes for a moment as if she does not want to see herself say the next sentence. "And ensure that the "Good Baron Sarvo" left no threats behind which could have been loosed by the collapse..." She shakes her head while staring at the pile of debris.

Her son whispers in her ear. "Yes, Arnholde, quite right." She clears her throat and stands with perfect posture. "I am the Baroness Origena Devy of Belhaim, great-great granddaughter of Sir Arkold Devy, Defender of the Bend, and Protector of the Dragonfen. This is my son, Baron Arnholde Devy. Sir Shayn, Miss Maellyra, Masters Leng and Pavo? If you would be willing to explore what remains of the tower, I will pay each of you one hundred sovreigns. That includes you, friend kobold. You may be needed to provide advice on your people. Maybe even diffuse any tensions."


Male Kobold (Blue-Scaled) Tempest Druid 5 | HP 32/34| Speed 30ft | AC 16, touch 13, flat-footed 14, CMD 12 | Fort +5 : Ref +3 : Will +8 | Wild Empathy: +6 | Stealth +11; Perception +12 | Resist Elec 5 | Hero Points: 2/3 left| Active: Light Sensitive

Spitter scratches his head absently, the tiny claws on his fingers making a rasping sound against his scales.

"Pay? Advice? I'm not sure what a Baroness is, but you seem to be...smart for a pink-skin. I can help. I think. I know nothing specific about the green-scales, but if I can help...I think that's while the Sky Voice told me to do. To come here I mean... Yes. I will help if I can."

Standing straight at the last statement, the little blue kobold will move closer to the taller humanoids, but still a little apart. He seems quiet and observant now, as if waiting to take some cue from another at the moment.


Male Suli Paladin (Iroran Paladin) 3 | HP 28/28 | AC 21 TO 16 FF 15 | F +8 R +7 W +7 | CMD 19 | Imm Disease | Acid 7 Cold 7 Elec 7 Fire 7 | Init +5 | Perc +1 LLV | PT 1/1 | EA 3/3

Shayn heard with attention and replied with confidence.

Thanks, milady. You're right - it would be our pleasure to help with the exploration and investigation. - he looked around to be sure his companions would agree with him - I am no noble or knight, however, but rather a paladin of Irori.

Finally, the Suli looked at the blue kobold nearby. He spoke quite well for a kobold, but then again - Shayn didn't have much experience with the small draconic creatures.

How should I call you, my friend? - the paladin extended his hand to greet Spitter and gave him the sincerest of his smiles, emphasizing the last word of his question.


Male Kobold (Blue-Scaled) Tempest Druid 5 | HP 32/34| Speed 30ft | AC 16, touch 13, flat-footed 14, CMD 12 | Fort +5 : Ref +3 : Will +8 | Wild Empathy: +6 | Stealth +11; Perception +12 | Resist Elec 5 | Hero Points: 2/3 left| Active: Light Sensitive

Spitter looks a the man's open hand skeptically and scratches his head again. One eye open and one shut, he gazes at the hand. Eye bulging from its socket, he looks at it both up close and far away without touching it. You have the feeling that if the kobold had spectacles, he's be adjusting them too to see better! Stand tall again, he then tentatively touches the palm of the man and speaks as clearly as he can.

"You are asking for my...moniker? Yes? In the language of dragons, names have power. But I need you to trust that I have no ill will against you. My tribe, the Cliff-Fangers are no more. Exterminated for merely existing. I am...only remaining survivor. I have walked from the far coast to this place because the Sky-Voice spoke to me. He assured me I needed to be here. To help. Among my people you would call me Spitter Snagscale, Nature Speaker and Interpreter of the Sky Voice. One I think you pink-skins call Gozreh? I assure you , it all sounds much more impressive in the language of dragons."

He then carefully takes his hand back. looking quizzically at the man who offered his hand.

"Irori? Paladin? What is this?"


Male Human Monk (wanderer, weapon adept) 5 | 40/43 HP | AC 17 T 17 FF 13 | Fort +7 Ref +8 Will +7 | Initiative +3 | Perception +10 | Perfect Strike 4/5 | Ki Pool 4/4

Leng rolls back onto his back and sits up, then shakes his tunic to get some of the dirt off.

"Soooo... anyone here familiar with the kind of magic that could've made that tower collapse?"


Male Kobold (Blue-Scaled) Tempest Druid 5 | HP 32/34| Speed 30ft | AC 16, touch 13, flat-footed 14, CMD 12 | Fort +5 : Ref +3 : Will +8 | Wild Empathy: +6 | Stealth +11; Perception +12 | Resist Elec 5 | Hero Points: 2/3 left| Active: Light Sensitive

Shaking his head negatively to Leng's question, Spitter answers as best he can.

"My people do not build tall house-caves, so I cannot be helping much. Magics? It would take much magic in my guess."

The Kobobld then starts worrying at his sharp teeth with a small claw. He adjusts it, as if he was trying to remove any offending remains of his last meal. Oddly, his nervousness and fear appear to be almost gone now.


Hp 33/43 | AC: 20, T: 12, FF: 18, CMD: 21 | Saves F +6, R +6, W +2 | Init +2 | Perception +9, Sense Motive +5 | Status: Fatigued

"Your guess is as good as mine, but I agree with...what'd you say your name was? Spitter? Yeah, much magic. Had to be, right?" Pavo asked, shrugging.

"Anyway, I doubt we'll find many answers up here. Best get to it." With that Pavo pulled his trident free off his back and began to probe various spots among the rubble, testing for stability before moving forward.

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16


Female Human Gravewalker Witch 3 | HP 20/20 | AC 12 Touch 12 Flat-Footed 10 | CMB +1 CMD 13 | Saves: Fort +2 Ref +3 Will +5 | Perception: +5 | Init: +2 | Status: Normal | Spell Effects:

"No," comes Maellyra's simple, blunt reply to Leng's question. Although such spells that could bring down a tower in mere moments undoubtedly existed, they were likely to require more power than what she was capable of summoning; this, coupled with the fact that her expertise tended toward darker, more subtle arts, meant that such a spell was likely well beyond her knowledge. But, if magic did bring the tower down... "But I might be able to sense the spell's lingering pattern if we can find the origin."

Presuming their conversation with the Baroness to be concluded for now, Maellyra - eager to divine the depths of the ruined tower and learn what secrets it may hold - follows Pavo's lead and makes her way toward the rubble, taking care to step only where he does.


The Baroness quietly withdraws toward her estate, with her heir remaining a few moments behind. As everyone begins investigating, he says, "When you have news, please come see us. Be careful." Then talks with the deputies for a moment. "Lethe, Mulle, these gentlemen and lady have this under control." Arnholde calmly walks away without a glance back and the deputies shrug and resume their normal patrol.

Section A1 on the map is a field of rubble that ramps to A2, the only thing remaining of the structure's second floor. There is a door, however it has buckled from the collapse and is clearly not going to work any more.

Pavo spots several questionable sections of debris, enabling him to point out a safe route up the rubble to the exposed remnants of the second floor.


Male Human Monk (wanderer, weapon adept) 5 | 40/43 HP | AC 17 T 17 FF 13 | Fort +7 Ref +8 Will +7 | Initiative +3 | Perception +10 | Perfect Strike 4/5 | Ki Pool 4/4

Leng idly unloops the chain wrapped around his waist over his sash as he stands up. "I guess that means we're going into the hole?" he says casually.


No one can see an immediate entrance in the mess. The bulk of the second and third floors collapsed into the sinkhole, backfilling it nearly instantly. As everyone picks through the collapse, the ground shifts some. As soon as the minor tremor ends a screaching sound fills the air, followed by a loud bang as though a heavy slab fell.


Male Kobold (Blue-Scaled) Tempest Druid 5 | HP 32/34| Speed 30ft | AC 16, touch 13, flat-footed 14, CMD 12 | Fort +5 : Ref +3 : Will +8 | Wild Empathy: +6 | Stealth +11; Perception +12 | Resist Elec 5 | Hero Points: 2/3 left| Active: Light Sensitive

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13

"THAT sounded like a cave in! I would know. Look again! A new opening may have formed!"


Female Human Gravewalker Witch 3 | HP 20/20 | AC 12 Touch 12 Flat-Footed 10 | CMB +1 CMD 13 | Saves: Fort +2 Ref +3 Will +5 | Perception: +5 | Init: +2 | Status: Normal | Spell Effects:

Eyeing the route that Pavo points out, Maellyra gathers her tattered black skirts and gingerly picks her way up the rubble ramp to the second floor. She moves to pass him and the others, seemingly fearless in her exploration of the ruins, although, in truth, she simply has no desire to be behind the men as they test the unstable ground with their bulk. "The stairs to the lower floors may still be intact."

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6


Hp 33/43 | AC: 20, T: 12, FF: 18, CMD: 21 | Saves F +6, R +6, W +2 | Init +2 | Perception +9, Sense Motive +5 | Status: Fatigued

Pavo continued walking around the debris looking for anything that might lead below. They had said that the sinkhole had swallowed the tower and if that was true, some portion of the tower might still be intact. Perhaps if they could find a trapdoor or something that used to be on the top of the tower, they could gain entry to whatever was below.

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16


Everyone picks through the rubble, finding very little beyond broken masonry until Pavo spots the metal hatch in the floor. A large wooden beam seems to have fallen across it, partly concealing the access point. Moving the beam does not take much effort,

The tower's large ground floor has mostly collapsed under the rubble, but along the western portion of the room a section remains clear of debris. An iron trap door set in the floor is directly below a companion door in the ceiling above. Shattered wooden furniture lies scattered around the corpses of two small, green-scaled creatures.

A3 (just to the right on the Roll20 map) is what is left of the ground floor, whereas A4...

The walls of this chamber have buckled precariously in several places, and masonry and dirt are scattered across the floor - the collapse above plainly caused this structural damage. The dry-rotted frames of five simple beds lie against the north and south walls. To the southwest, the room broadens into a larger chamber. A rusted, grinning iron statue stands in an alcove in the north wall between the two wings of the room itself, and in the wall to the south is an old iron door.

The room is completely dark, but utterly quiet.


Male Suli Paladin (Iroran Paladin) 3 | HP 28/28 | AC 21 TO 16 FF 15 | F +8 R +7 W +7 | CMD 19 | Imm Disease | Acid 7 Cold 7 Elec 7 Fire 7 | Init +5 | Perc +1 LLV | PT 1/1 | EA 3/3

I still don't have a clue as to why I can't put a figure or copy one of the other ones to place myself... But please assume Shayn is there :/

The paladin closes his eyes and mutters some quick prayers to the dead creatures. He waits for Spitter to look at them - imagining he'd probably want to - and refrains from approaching. Instead, he investigates around the room, slowly moving in to the next room, towards where the iron statue stands.

Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8


Male Human Monk (wanderer, weapon adept) 5 | 40/43 HP | AC 17 T 17 FF 13 | Fort +7 Ref +8 Will +7 | Initiative +3 | Perception +10 | Perfect Strike 4/5 | Ki Pool 4/4

Leng moves up near Shayn, and as he goes he lets his chain dangle from his hands, swinging like a pendulum. "Huh. Anyone have any light?"


Male Kobold (Blue-Scaled) Tempest Druid 5 | HP 32/34| Speed 30ft | AC 16, touch 13, flat-footed 14, CMD 12 | Fort +5 : Ref +3 : Will +8 | Wild Empathy: +6 | Stealth +11; Perception +12 | Resist Elec 5 | Hero Points: 2/3 left| Active: Light Sensitive

Slowly following the others down and into the dark room, Spitter digs a torch out of his small pack and carefully light it with flint and steel. He then hands the torch to the pale-skinned man with the long chain.

"Fire I can do. I need none to see myself."

With that Spitter moves to check the fallen kobolds.

Heal: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14


Male Human Monk (wanderer, weapon adept) 5 | 40/43 HP | AC 17 T 17 FF 13 | Fort +7 Ref +8 Will +7 | Initiative +3 | Perception +10 | Perfect Strike 4/5 | Ki Pool 4/4

Leng tosses the weighted end of his chain over his shoulder so that it hangs loosely there while he holds up the torch to illuminate the area for his human companions.


Female Human Gravewalker Witch 3 | HP 20/20 | AC 12 Touch 12 Flat-Footed 10 | CMB +1 CMD 13 | Saves: Fort +2 Ref +3 Will +5 | Perception: +5 | Init: +2 | Status: Normal | Spell Effects:

With a few words whispered in some strange language, Maellyra conjures a light of her own. Like an apparition, a faintly glowing human form appears next to her, illuminating the remains of the ground floor as if by torchlight. (Casting dancing lights.)

Kneeling down opposite of Spitter, Maellyra also examines the bodies, having not had the chance to study kobolds so closely before. She checks for what could have caused their deaths and whether stiffness has set into their limbs yet. Her examination soon moves onto other, less pertinent things: the articulation of their joints, the number of teeth in their muzzle, and the approximate durability of their scales compared to human flesh. If Maellyra finds any gear or items on the corpses, the discovery of such seems​ incidental to her examination.

Heal: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20
Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5


Maellyra and Spitter check the bodies thoroughly. Both seem to have conclusively been killed from blunt force trauma based on the contusions and compound fractures. Neither of them were wearing armor, and any gear they might have found seems to have been lost or destroyed.

I've also added Leng and Shayn to the map, BTW.

Shayn and Leng examine what seemed at first glance to be a statue, but up close in the torch light is revealed to be an iron maiden. The rust is actually some sort of dark brown substance coating the seam on the front.


Male Kobold (Blue-Scaled) Tempest Druid 5 | HP 32/34| Speed 30ft | AC 16, touch 13, flat-footed 14, CMD 12 | Fort +5 : Ref +3 : Will +8 | Wild Empathy: +6 | Stealth +11; Perception +12 | Resist Elec 5 | Hero Points: 2/3 left| Active: Light Sensitive

Spitter spits in the dust away from the bodies.

"Dragon Poop. These green-scales were down here when the tall-stones fell. Why? Kobolds have no use for pink-skin cave-houses. Gozreh sets me down a dragon's-maze! I hate mazes. Always end up finding a 'friendly' Minotaur waiting to have you for lunch..."

Spitter then stands muttering in draconic, and kicks dust at the fallen Kobolds. He then moves quietly to follow the others.


Hp 33/43 | AC: 20, T: 12, FF: 18, CMD: 21 | Saves F +6, R +6, W +2 | Init +2 | Perception +9, Sense Motive +5 | Status: Fatigued

Chuckling to himself, Pavo blushed as he thought how he'd felt if they were human bodies. "Uh, sorry. I meant no offense. Friendly Minotaur, heh, that's rich."

He tried to stay away from the bodies, not knowing exactly how he should feel or how Spitter felt. Pavo was unused to such emotions and he struggled with how to handle them. He tried to shut them out for now and focus on his surroundings. "Five beds? What kind of place was this?"


DM Rolls:
Leng Perception: 1d20 + 6 - 3 ⇒ (2) + 6 - 3 = 5
Maellyra Perception: 1d20 + 3 - 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 - 3 = 14
Pavo Perception: 1d20 + 5 - 3 ⇒ (1) + 5 - 3 = 3
Shayn Perception: 1d20 + 1 - 3 ⇒ (3) + 1 - 3 = 1
Spitter Perception: 1d20 + 7 - 3 ⇒ (16) + 7 - 3 = 20

Initiative Rolls:
Leng Init: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20
Maellyra Init: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13
Pavo Init: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8
Shayn Init: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20
Spitter Init: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21
Centipede 1: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6
Centipede 2: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16

Everyone is so distracted by the surroundings, that they fail to notice the child-sized centipedes creeping out of the broken masonry and coming dangerously close to where Pavo has recently entered.

C1 and C2 both take move actions for the surprise round. Maellyra, the ladder does not require a climb check, but it is 10' of climb movement to move into the next level after the screams break your focus.

Round 1:

21 - Spitter
20 - Leng, Shayn
16 - C2
13 - Maellyra
8 - Pavo
6 - C1

1 to 50 of 1,940 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Dragon's Demand PbP Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.