Tales of the Royal Archaeological Society, Group 1 (Inactive)

Game Master Doomed Hero

In a land built on the ruins of ruins, the dawn of a new era creates a drive to uncover lost history. The Royal Archaeological Society fears no dungeon!


451 to 500 of 752 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>

HP: 25/27 | AC: 18 T: 12 FF: 16 CMD:17 | Will: +5, Ref: +5, Fort: +5 | Init: +2 Perc: +2 | Effects: none
Abilities:
Lvl 1 spells 1/6 | Iron Weapon 3/5
Male Half-Orc Oracle lvl 3 (Metal Mystery)

position updated on the map.


Half-orc Oracle 15 | HP: 153 | AC: 31/19/28 | CMD: 40/37 | F+15 R+14 W+15 | Per +20 Init +7 (x3)

Backing up a few seconds for the beginning of this post…

As Bladud finishes with the door, he pauses to look over at the crew chief. ”Wouldn’a mind if he took a look at thaht whole pile we left in the corner there.” He grunts as he opens the door, his voice dropping substantially. ”A few of those items looked particularly expensive, but it’d be nice ta’have a practiced eye go over ’em and catalog 'em for'us.”

He gives a flippant grin and salute, ”Off ta’kill some more stuff and take their things. Wish us luck.”

He moves into the hallway … eyes, ears, and nose straining for threats and traps, longspear in hand.

Scent and Perception for threats/traps as he quietly moves down the hallway.
Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24
Stealth: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11

if he finds nothing before reaching the door, the highlander works quietly through his door routine, ending with his ear pressed against it.

door routine rolls:
Perception (traps): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10
Perception (ear to door): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15
Stealth: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27

If no traps or threats are sensed, he'll get the group's attention and nonverbally indicate they should quietly join him at the door.


Dwarven Ranger HP 14/14 | Roll with it 2/2
Stats:
AC 15, T 10, FF 15 | Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +0, +2 vs Spells | Init +0 | Perception +4 & Darkvision

"If no traps or threats are sensed" by Bladud, Dvalin will join him and move him out of the way. Dvalin will then concentrate quietly invoking Hriedmar to look through the door.

Door Sight (Su)::
6 per day. You can lay your hand upon any surface and see what is on the other side, as if using clairvoyance. Using this power takes 1 minute, during which time you must be touching the surface you want to see through. You can keep looking for as long as 10 minutes with each use of this power, but must touch the surface and take no other action the entire time. The surface cannot be thicker than 6 inches plus 1 inch per cleric level you possess. You can use this power a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Wisdom modifier.

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24
Perception take 20+10=30 for two minutes


M Elf Wizard 3 10/15 | AC 13/ T 13/FF 10 | F +1 R +3 W +4 | Init +2 Per +4

Updated on map
The elf stood normally, as if his robes weren’t rags. He answered the crew chief, ”I do not believe there was an item specifically needing immediate appraisal. However if any spare clothing is available, even long pants,” he sighed, ”I would not be adverse to changing my garments.”


Fala chuckled. "I'll see what I can find for you."


Loot Tracker Current Map

The smell that wafted out when Bladud opened the door was even worse than the rat's nest. It reeked of rotten meat and pungent body oder.

The floor was soggy with wet mud. In the corner a large pile of old, broken bed frames were stacked up. They might have once been intact, but now it looked like about a dozen of them were in a badly destroyed pile with old mattresses and blankets on top of it.

Massive footprints marred the muddy floor. They were perhaps twice as large as a human's.

Whatever had left them, it didn't look like it was here now.


Half-orc Oracle 15 | HP: 153 | AC: 31/19/28 | CMD: 40/37 | F+15 R+14 W+15 | Per +20 Init +7 (x3)

I don't think anyone opened the door, but that same information should be available to Dvalin using his Door Sight ability, right? I guess the smell might not transmit, though I'd think if it was so strong, Bladud's scent ability would pick it up even through the door.


Loot Tracker Current Map

Hmm. Well, how about we just say that the door wasn't shut all the way and swung open when you started inspecting it. Same result either way. Lets not retcon. There's no apparent threat.


Half-orc Oracle 15 | HP: 153 | AC: 31/19/28 | CMD: 40/37 | F+15 R+14 W+15 | Per +20 Init +7 (x3)

Fair enough…

As the wall of stank hits him, Bladud crinkles his nose and grins. ”Cad, least you could do’is clean your room before we get here. Honestly, no manners at all.”

He takes a few seconds to look at the prints.
Can Bladud tell if there appear to be one or multiple sets?
Survival (track): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16

Then his eyes take in the room beyond, seeking any non-obvious threats.
Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23

”Anyone have anythin’ they want’ta do before’I head in? Or do any'a'you recognize the footprints?” he whispers.

Some solid knowledge rolls could be helpful here. Knowledge: Local for humanoids, maybe?


Loot Tracker Current Map

Survival DC 13:

The newest tracks are very fresh. Less than an hour old.

Survival DC 16:

The creature that made these tracks was stooped, and look like they moved in a simian fashion. There are knee, hand and knuckle prints about the room as well. This one was probably 800-900 pounds and would be about 8 feet tall if it stood up straight.

Knowledge: Local DC 15:

Looks like Giant-Kin, obviously. An Ogre or Ettin, probably.


Half-orc Oracle 15 | HP: 153 | AC: 31/19/28 | CMD: 40/37 | F+15 R+14 W+15 | Per +20 Init +7 (x3)

Bladud points at a specific set of prints, "Those look fresh. Less than an hour." He grunts, then points to another spot where the mud has been gouged in a distinctive way. "I can'only see prints for one fella, but he's a big one. Eight or nine hundred pounds, at my guess."

He shrugs, "Anythin' else I should know b'fore I head in?"


HP: 25/27 | AC: 18 T: 12 FF: 16 CMD:17 | Will: +5, Ref: +5, Fort: +5 | Init: +2 Perc: +2 | Effects: none
Abilities:
Lvl 1 spells 1/6 | Iron Weapon 3/5
Male Half-Orc Oracle lvl 3 (Metal Mystery)

"Don't let yourself get caught like with the scorpion." Cadeyrn said with a slight grin. He inspected the prints Bladud pointed at. "Any idea which way the creature went? Better to try to deal with it now so it can't attack us from behind."


Dwarven Ranger HP 14/14 | Roll with it 2/2
Stats:
AC 15, T 10, FF 15 | Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +0, +2 vs Spells | Init +0 | Perception +4 & Darkvision

"Which door did the tracks use most recently?" Dvalin asks.


Half-orc Oracle 15 | HP: 153 | AC: 31/19/28 | CMD: 40/37 | F+15 R+14 W+15 | Per +20 Init +7 (x3)

Tracking check to determine most used door and most recently used door, if possible.
Survival (Track): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15


M Elf Wizard 3 10/15 | AC 13/ T 13/FF 10 | F +1 R +3 W +4 | Init +2 Per +4

Nisfeollyn knelt to examine the tracks closely.
knowledge (local): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25

He pointed out the length and width of the print. "An ogre or ettin is the most likely source of the footprints."


Loot Tracker Current Map

Bladud, you're pretty sure the tracks went out the north door most recently.


Half-orc Oracle 15 | HP: 153 | AC: 31/19/28 | CMD: 40/37 | F+15 R+14 W+15 | Per +20 Init +7 (x3)

Bladud points to the northern door across the room as he whispers to the crew, "Watch that door. I think the big fecker went through there."

Then the crew's trap-springer goes to work. He skulks into the room, using his longspear to press through the mud and muck to check for any submerged threats or pressure plates as he moves.

Action details and rolls:
Bladud will sneak into the room, then immediately move along the wall to his left into I.18. Then he'll move up the center of the room (the I column ... note my clever little arrow). During all this movement, he'll do it quietly and use his spear to check all squares in his threatened range in an attempt to suss out possible threats, traps, or pressure plates.

Perception (traps): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16
Perception (other threats): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26
Stealth: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21


Dwarven Ranger HP 14/14 | Roll with it 2/2
Stats:
AC 15, T 10, FF 15 | Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +0, +2 vs Spells | Init +0 | Perception +4 & Darkvision

On the North door, "If no traps or threats are sensed" by Bladud, Dvalin will join him and move him out of the way. Dvalin will then concentrate quietly invoking Hriedmar to look through the door.

Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (7) + 10 = 17
Perception take 20+10=30 for two minutes


Loot Tracker Current Map

No traps are sensed

The mud is difficult terrain, obviously.


Dwarven Ranger HP 14/14 | Roll with it 2/2
Stats:
AC 15, T 10, FF 15 | Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +0, +2 vs Spells | Init +0 | Perception +4 & Darkvision

Please describe the room beyond the North door. Dvalin looks through it with Doorsight without opening it.


Half-orc Oracle 15 | HP: 153 | AC: 31/19/28 | CMD: 40/37 | F+15 R+14 W+15 | Per +20 Init +7 (x3)

Bladud waits in the center of the room, spear at the ready as he waits for Dvalin's report. He briefly looks back at Cadeyrn and Nisfeollyn, nodding to indicate they should feel free to enter the room.

I put Dvalin at the northern door so he can use his Doorsight ability. Cad and Nis, you guys should feel free to update your position on the map.

As he turns his head back to Dvalin, he whispers to the team, "What's tha'plan if the big feckr isn't nearby? Wait for'im? Or see if we'can track him down?"


HP: 25/27 | AC: 18 T: 12 FF: 16 CMD:17 | Will: +5, Ref: +5, Fort: +5 | Init: +2 Perc: +2 | Effects: none
Abilities:
Lvl 1 spells 1/6 | Iron Weapon 3/5
Male Half-Orc Oracle lvl 3 (Metal Mystery)

"I'd say try to track him down and get the jump on him. Wouldn't like the other way around." Cadeyrn whispered back while looking at the mess that used to be a room of sorts.


M Elf Wizard 3 10/15 | AC 13/ T 13/FF 10 | F +1 R +3 W +4 | Init +2 Per +4

Nisfeollyn walked into the room and stood next to Bladud. He watched Dvalin use his divine magic to peer through the door.

”Would it be possible to create a trap for the creature? Anyone capable of setting up a trip wire?” he replied in a whisper. ”I think we should press on with our normal caution. We do not need to track him down, do we?”


Half-orc Oracle 15 | HP: 153 | AC: 31/19/28 | CMD: 40/37 | F+15 R+14 W+15 | Per +20 Init +7 (x3)

"I'm no trap-maker," Bladud whispers, still watching Dvalin. "And we're paid ta'clear this place for exploration and research. Can't exactly leave tha'big guy to wander. Could be'a threat." He shrugs, idly wiping mud off the end of his longspear. "So we either need ta'clear him out or convince him to let the research teams do their thing without any problems. I'm fine either way, but I'm no'exactly the diplomatic sort."

"Plus," he adds with a smirking whisper, "do we even have someone who'can talk to the big guy?"


Loot Tracker Current Map

Dvalin gets an image past the door of a darkened rough hewn hallway who's floor has partially collapsed. It is full of mud and pools of water. The mud bears the same tracks as the room they were currently in. Just around the corner is another door. The hall continues past the door to the east, but the vision becomes to hazy to make out further details.


Dwarven Ranger HP 14/14 | Roll with it 2/2
Stats:
AC 15, T 10, FF 15 | Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +0, +2 vs Spells | Init +0 | Perception +4 & Darkvision

Dvalin comes out of his trance and whispers. "Past the door, there is a darkened rough hewn hallway who's floor has partially collapsed. It is full of mud and pools of water. The mud bears the same tracks as the room they were currently in. Just around the corner is another door. The hall continues past the door to the east, but the vision becomes to hazy to make out further details. After you Bladud."


HP: 25/27 | AC: 18 T: 12 FF: 16 CMD:17 | Will: +5, Ref: +5, Fort: +5 | Init: +2 Perc: +2 | Effects: none
Abilities:
Lvl 1 spells 1/6 | Iron Weapon 3/5
Male Half-Orc Oracle lvl 3 (Metal Mystery)

"Ok, I'll guard this door here while you scout ahead. If the creature spots you I'd suggest running back here, instead of us coming to you. Although not the best location, it seems there would be a bit more room for us to fight over here."


Half-orc Oracle 15 | HP: 153 | AC: 31/19/28 | CMD: 40/37 | F+15 R+14 W+15 | Per +20 Init +7 (x3)

Bladud nods towards the western door, "Why dont'ye look through that door before we move'on? Could save'us some pain."


Dwarven Ranger HP 14/14 | Roll with it 2/2
Stats:
AC 15, T 10, FF 15 | Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +0, +2 vs Spells | Init +0 | Perception +4 & Darkvision

Dvalin shrugs in reply to Bladud and looks through the other door.

Perception take 20+12=32 with darkvision from door.


Loot Tracker Current Map

Dvalin's second sight reveals to him an intersection just past the door and little else.

map updated


Dwarven Ranger HP 14/14 | Roll with it 2/2
Stats:
AC 15, T 10, FF 15 | Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +0, +2 vs Spells | Init +0 | Perception +4 & Darkvision

Dvalin reveals an intersection just past the door and little else. "After you," he says to Bladud.


Loot Tracker Current Map

So how are you guys proceeding?


HP: 25/27 | AC: 18 T: 12 FF: 16 CMD:17 | Will: +5, Ref: +5, Fort: +5 | Init: +2 Perc: +2 | Effects: none
Abilities:
Lvl 1 spells 1/6 | Iron Weapon 3/5
Male Half-Orc Oracle lvl 3 (Metal Mystery)

I thought we were going north, but that Bladud wanted Dvalin to also check the west door just in case.


M Elf Wizard 3 10/15 | AC 13/ T 13/FF 10 | F +1 R +3 W +4 | Init +2 Per +4

Nisfeollyn sniffed dismissively. ”I doubt any ogre could speak Arcadian, or if it could speak in that most illuminating and melodious language it would have thoughts worth communicating.”

Nisfeollyn raised an index finger and idly tapped his cheek. ”If I graciously learned one of those grunting and barbaric tongues perhaps in the future I could negotiate peace. Avoid needless conflicts. Hmmm, would that be an effective use of my time? Even those who live for centuries do not want to see any of our mortal hours wasted.”


M Raven Familiar; 7/7 hp|AC 16 T 16 FF 14|F +2 R +3 W+4

The raven rolled his new found die at Nisfeollyn’s feet while waiting for the next room’s door to be opened.


Loot Tracker Current Map

Wuntholor rolls: 1d6 ⇒ 5


M Raven Familiar; 7/7 hp|AC 16 T 16 FF 14|F +2 R +3 W+4

Arcadian:
”Five,”
the raven says.

Wuntholor rolled the die repeatedly, reading the number each time.


M Elf Wizard 3 10/15 | AC 13/ T 13/FF 10 | F +1 R +3 W +4 | Init +2 Per +4

”Use the first roll as the augend and the second as the addend,” the elf said. ”When you are ready I will teach you negative numbers.”

The raven began to give the summation of his die rolls.

I thought INT 7 would give a raven some basic math skills, but if not disregard that part of the post.


Half-orc Oracle 15 | HP: 153 | AC: 31/19/28 | CMD: 40/37 | F+15 R+14 W+15 | Per +20 Init +7 (x3)
Dvalin wrote:
"After you," he says to Bladud.

Bladud grins and heads quietly to the northern door, giving his usual attention.

Door routine:
Perception (traps): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15
Stealth: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9
Disable Device (if traps are present): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (12) + 12 = 24

If no traps, Bladud quietly opens the door and moves into the muddy hallway, watching for any threats.
Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20

At the next door (north side of M.10), he checks again.

Door routine (M.10):
Perception (traps): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16
Perception (ear to door): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27
Stealth: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26
Disable Device (if traps are present): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (11) + 12 = 23


Loot Tracker Current Map

GM rolls:

Stealth: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (9) + 16 = 25

Nisfeollyn, Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6
Cad, Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9
Dvalin, Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (4) + 10 = 14
Bladud, Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15

Nisfeollyn, initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8
Cad, initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10
Dvalin, initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
Bladud, initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10
Enemy Initiative: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7

Initiative Order
Bladud and Cad
Enemy
Nisfeollyn and Dvalin

Everyone is Surprised!

Round 0

As Bladud pressed his ear to the door, a wave of weakness passed over him.

Strength Damage: 1d3 ⇒ 1
Constitution Damage: 1d3 ⇒ 3

He looked around for a source, saw nothing, then finally down at himself. Below the knee his pants and boots were covered with wriggling leeches!

Round 1
Bladud and Cad, go ahead. Cad, you still don't see the enemy until Bladud draws your attention to it (which I'm sure he will).


Half-orc Oracle 15 | HP: 153 | AC: 31/19/28 | CMD: 40/37 | F+15 R+14 W+15 | Per +20 Init +7 (x3)

Is it like tons of leeches, or are they few and big enough leeches that they can be individually targetted/attacked?


Loot Tracker Current Map

It's a swarm, hence the auto-damage.


Half-orc Oracle 15 | HP: 153 | AC: 31/19/28 | CMD: 40/37 | F+15 R+14 W+15 | Per +20 Init +7 (x3)

Gotcha, thx.

Bladud gives a surprisingly un-manly (and certainly un-highlander-like) shout at the leeches grubbing at his legs. 'GETEMOFF!"

Without thinking, he slips a vial from his bandolier, unstoppering it and splashing acid on the leeches, his own legs, and the surrounding area.

Swift to draw acid flask, move to make the leeches in my square the Favored Target, throw acid at them (and self, as they're on me). I'm including Favored target in both attack and damage; remove one or both if they're inappropriate.
splash weapon throw: 1d20 + 6 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 6 + 1 = 13
damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

Status:
HP 19/24
AC 19 T 13 FF 16
CMD 19 FF 16
F +6 R +6 W +2
—> +4 vs. Endurnance-related checks
.
Effects/Conditions 3 Str damage, 1 con damage
Current ACP: -2 (shield stowed)


HP: 25/27 | AC: 18 T: 12 FF: 16 CMD:17 | Will: +5, Ref: +5, Fort: +5 | Init: +2 Perc: +2 | Effects: none
Abilities:
Lvl 1 spells 1/6 | Iron Weapon 3/5
Male Half-Orc Oracle lvl 3 (Metal Mystery)

"Bladud, move back to us out of the water! then they most likely won't be able to follow.".

Cadeyrn turned to the others. "We got leeches, got anything against them? My axe won't do much as I think I sooner cut of Bladud' leg then that I hit one of them critters.

That said, Cadeyrn makes room for Bladud to come back to them.


Loot Tracker Current Map

Leeches writhe and burn where the acid splashes them, many dropping off into the water or dying still stuck to Bladud's legs. More took their place.

Strength Damage: 1d3 ⇒ 2
Con Damage: 1d3 ⇒ 2

Bladud was starting to feel woozy.

5 con damage is no joke. That brings Bladud down to 8 Con

Nisfeollyn and Dvalin, you'r up


Half-orc Oracle 15 | HP: 153 | AC: 31/19/28 | CMD: 40/37 | F+15 R+14 W+15 | Per +20 Init +7 (x3)
DM Doomed Hero wrote:
5 con damage is no joke. That brings Bladud down to 8 Con

No, it's not. O.O


Dwarven Ranger HP 14/14 | Roll with it 2/2
Stats:
AC 15, T 10, FF 15 | Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +0, +2 vs Spells | Init +0 | Perception +4 & Darkvision

Round 1

"Nisfeollyn, how best do we fight leeches?" Dvalin directs Cadeyrn's observation. He points his hammer-less hand, an attempts to hit some leeches with acid.

ranged touch: 1d20 + 3 - 4 ⇒ (17) + 3 - 4 = 16
if hit, acid damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2


M Elf Wizard 3 10/15 | AC 13/ T 13/FF 10 | F +1 R +3 W +4 | Init +2 Per +4

”I have a weak acid spell that will help,” the elf said moving towards the turn in the corridor, thinking of leeches, trying to remember what he knew about them. He slid past Dvalin to see Bladdud covered in leeches. ”At least I hope it will. This will sting a bit,” he added before executing a quick series of gestures and words. He opened his right hand, and an orb sprung from his palm streaking towards the leeches covering Bladud’s legs.

Knowledge (nautre): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14
ranged touch attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11 damage: 1d3 ⇒ 1

I realized I didn’t have my prepared cantrips on Nisfeollyn’s character sheet. I went back through my old posts and searched for the cantrips Nisfeollyn used (prestidigitation, flare, and detect magic) to make sure I didn’t use more than allotted. I chose acid splash to make the fourth. If this doesn’t seem fair or right to you, let me know.


Half-orc Oracle 15 | HP: 153 | AC: 31/19/28 | CMD: 40/37 | F+15 R+14 W+15 | Per +20 Init +7 (x3)

Let me know if Bladud still has leeches eating him after those two attacks.


HP: 25/27 | AC: 18 T: 12 FF: 16 CMD:17 | Will: +5, Ref: +5, Fort: +5 | Init: +2 Perc: +2 | Effects: none
Abilities:
Lvl 1 spells 1/6 | Iron Weapon 3/5
Male Half-Orc Oracle lvl 3 (Metal Mystery)

Not certain, but technically if you move out of the swarm you shouldn't have any eating at you anymore ... You could say you make a break for it, now that the ones that were on you are shot of by Nisfeollyn and Dvalin?

451 to 500 of 752 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Into the Ruins! All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.