Skull & Shackles: Sails under a blood red sky.

Game Master DBH

To be continued.

Red Sky folder link

Shackles map

Merrow melee


1,201 to 1,241 of 1,241 << first < prev | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | next > last >>

Are you sure you want to do that?

Percy, Cassiopeia? Since real life is hitting everybody hard I'll hold on till tomorrow.


Human Female Wizard (Poleiheira Adherent) 7 | HP 23/51 | AC 12 T 12 FF 10 | Fort +5 Ref +5 Will +7 | Initiative +2 | Perception +8 | Arcane Bond 1/1 | Inspiration 4/4 | Mount 14 hrs. | Pearls of Power: 1st—1/1 2nd—1/1 3rd—1/1 | Water Blast 5/5

Cass holds off since she doesn’t want to waste a powerful spell if Herzag and the cap’n havethings under control.

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Chelaxian Human Fighter 7 HP 44/56 subdual 56/56 AC/Touch/Flat 19/12/17 | Fort/Ref/Will +7/+4/+2 | Init +3 perception +5, climb+8, Intimidate+9,Prof. Sailor +9,Swim+7,

"They had their chance to stand down."

He answered coldly.


Female Ifrit Swashbuckler Level 7 (Flying Blade) | HP 66/66 (0NL)| Init. +3 (+5) | Speed 30ft | AC 23, touch 17, FF 17 | CMD 25 | Fort +5 : Ref +9 : Will +3 | Burning Hands: 1/Day | Perc +10 | Panache: 3 Pts / -0 | Active :

Laughing uproariously Ashlei throws the enemies a rude gesture!

"Hear that? YOU'RE DEAD! You just don't know it yet!"


Female Human Cleric 7 HP: 50/50 | AC 19/13/16 | Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +9 (+10 vs Charm/Compulsion)| Init: +3 | Perc: +6

"He will in a moment!" Rhialla quips back.


Are you sure you want to do that?

They don't have any real chance so I'm hand waving the death of the two goons.

Loot:
Rapier +1 (3)
Mithril chain shirt +1 (3)
Elixir of swimming (3)

Breastplate +1 (2)
Heavy flail +1 (2)
MW Composite longbow (+5 str) (2)
Cloak of resistance +1 (2)

2563gp

Below deck you find cages designed to hold large creatures, and documents showing that the ship was sent to the shackles to capture such for arana battles in Cheliax. They wanted merrow for an upcoming aquatic show.

The supposed 'crew' killed on deck were slaves bought to serve as bait, you find the real sailors cowering in their bunkroom.

What are you doing now?


Female Ifrit Swashbuckler Level 7 (Flying Blade) | HP 66/66 (0NL)| Init. +3 (+5) | Speed 30ft | AC 23, touch 17, FF 17 | CMD 25 | Fort +5 : Ref +9 : Will +3 | Burning Hands: 1/Day | Perc +10 | Panache: 3 Pts / -0 | Active :

Offer the cowering freedom to join our crew! I think we can start our fleet now too! What do you think Captain? Keep this ship? Or sell it? Treasure Note: I'll take an Elixer of swimming if its OK, but the rest I think are pretty much useless to me. Do we have some trusted NPCs yet who can use the magical stuff we don't want?

"Any chance to piss off Chelaxian, I'll take it!"

Dark Archive

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Male Chelaxian Human Fighter 7 HP 44/56 subdual 56/56 AC/Touch/Flat 19/12/17 | Fort/Ref/Will +7/+4/+2 | Init +3 perception +5, climb+8, Intimidate+9,Prof. Sailor +9,Swim+7,

He paused while the crew gave the ship a good run over for all the wealth it held and well to look for any other crew willing to sail for a real pirate crew.

"You know what Burnout. You showed a real desire to take the fight to the enemy. Clearly you wanted a chance to captain your own boat more than some others. Take a prize crew, let's head back to Bag Island and see about getting that wheel mounted on the Bounty. The depending on what you think of this ship Ash, we will see about getting her armed and more crew. Get with Rhialla and we can pass some crew back and forth."

He paused halfway to the Bounty before he turned and back to his officers.

"Think of a name you like for this ship here, I Won't promise I'll allow it if its ridiculous, but i will take it into consideration... Brevet Captain Burnout."


Current Status:
AC: 29 || HP: 49/60 || CMD: 26 || Effects: Shield, Blessing of Fervor
Male half-orc fighter (lore warden) 2/unchained rogue 5 || Init +6; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +13 || AC 29, touch 19, flat-footed 21 || hp 60 || Fort +10, Ref +13, Will +7 Defensive Abilities danger sense +1, evasion, sacred tattoo

Gonna grab also an Elixir of Swimming from the pile.

Otherwise Herzag is back to his regular duties.


Female Human Cleric 7 HP: 50/50 | AC 19/13/16 | Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +9 (+10 vs Charm/Compulsion)| Init: +3 | Perc: +6

Rhialla grins giving Ash a wink, clearly in agreement.


Female Ifrit Swashbuckler Level 7 (Flying Blade) | HP 66/66 (0NL)| Init. +3 (+5) | Speed 30ft | AC 23, touch 17, FF 17 | CMD 25 | Fort +5 : Ref +9 : Will +3 | Burning Hands: 1/Day | Perc +10 | Panache: 3 Pts / -0 | Active :

Ashlei looks to take the suggestion quite seriously, and thinks for a few moments.

"How about the 'Crimson Sunset'? Its straightforward and memorable."


Female Ifrit Swashbuckler Level 7 (Flying Blade) | HP 66/66 (0NL)| Init. +3 (+5) | Speed 30ft | AC 23, touch 17, FF 17 | CMD 25 | Fort +5 : Ref +9 : Will +3 | Burning Hands: 1/Day | Perc +10 | Panache: 3 Pts / -0 | Active :

Talking to the living but former crew members of the newly dubbed 'Crimson Sunset', Ashlei passionately gives a speech about total freedom and piracy without slavery...or they can take their chances with a dingy.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14

If that doesn't work...

Intimidate!: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15

Can't win for losing.

She will then inspect and take an inventory of the new ship with Herzag as her backup, just in case something new wants to jump out at them.

Prof(Sailor): 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (15) + 11 = 26


Are you sure you want to do that?

The next few days are spent 'whipping' the new crew into workable shape. You sail towards Bag island and the only sails you see are those in the distance.

You arrive at Bag island without incident.

What are you doing now?


Current Status:
AC: 29 || HP: 49/60 || CMD: 26 || Effects: Shield, Blessing of Fervor
Male half-orc fighter (lore warden) 2/unchained rogue 5 || Init +6; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +13 || AC 29, touch 19, flat-footed 21 || hp 60 || Fort +10, Ref +13, Will +7 Defensive Abilities danger sense +1, evasion, sacred tattoo

Herzag follows close on Ashe's heels as she inspects the Crimson Sunset, just glowering at everyone else and being generally unpleasant.

"Crimson Sunset, bah..." - he chuckles so only his fiery companion can hear - "That the best you could come up with?"


Are you sure you want to do that?

Since we've been very distracted I'll get things in place.

Returning to the Temple of the Hidden name with both the location of the wreck of the Brine banshee, and the secret of it's speed means that it's priest Slip will give you the information you are looking for on spies.

He informs you that he knows of a water naga named Sarlis who claims to know the location of a smuggler and spy for a foreign power. Sarlis resides in a shallow cove on the Slithering Coast at this time of year, the location of which Slip marks on your charts.
He tells you to look for a hillock with a lone tree at the top on the western side of the river flowing into the cove.
Nearby is a pool where you should wait for Sarlis, which could take several days. The nagas of the Slithering Coast are aggressive and
territorial, but Sarlis is more “social” than most of her ilk.
Still, they might have to wait several days for the naga to deign to meet with them.

Wreckers 750gp:

If the PCs ask Slip about wreckers operating in the Shackles or the fate of the Lady’s Sting, Slip says that it is no secret that many such groups operate in the Shackles, but he has knowledge of one crew that claimed to have successfully attacked a Calistrian vessel.
If the PC's have already discovered the wreck of the Brine Banshee, Slip parts with this knowledge for a “donation” of 750 gp to the
temple.
Once the PCs have negotiated the payment
with Slip, the halfling tells them that the wreckers they seek are led by a half-orc wizard named Vakarla, and operate from a hidden island base southeast of the Rampore Isles.

What are you doing now?


Female Human Cleric 7 HP: 50/50 | AC 19/13/16 | Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +9 (+10 vs Charm/Compulsion)| Init: +3 | Perc: +6

Rhialla passes Slip the additional donation, taking note of the location of the wreckers, and the name of their Captain. "So, after we get the ships geared up, shall we go find the bastards that attacked the Savored Sting first, or meet with this Sarlis?"


Female Ifrit Swashbuckler Level 7 (Flying Blade) | HP 66/66 (0NL)| Init. +3 (+5) | Speed 30ft | AC 23, touch 17, FF 17 | CMD 25 | Fort +5 : Ref +9 : Will +3 | Burning Hands: 1/Day | Perc +10 | Panache: 3 Pts / -0 | Active :

"What's closer? Hit the closest first, then the next."


Human Female Wizard (Poleiheira Adherent) 7 | HP 23/51 | AC 12 T 12 FF 10 | Fort +5 Ref +5 Will +7 | Initiative +2 | Perception +8 | Arcane Bond 1/1 | Inspiration 4/4 | Mount 14 hrs. | Pearls of Power: 1st—1/1 2nd—1/1 3rd—1/1 | Water Blast 5/5

Cassiopeia points at Ashlei and says, "What she said."


Current Status:
AC: 29 || HP: 49/60 || CMD: 26 || Effects: Shield, Blessing of Fervor
Male half-orc fighter (lore warden) 2/unchained rogue 5 || Init +6; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +13 || AC 29, touch 19, flat-footed 21 || hp 60 || Fort +10, Ref +13, Will +7 Defensive Abilities danger sense +1, evasion, sacred tattoo

"I would rather we dealt with the naga first - maybe it gives us more time to ask around about this Vakarla" - Herzag pipes in - "Wizards are nasty business. Best be as prepared as possible to face them" - he adds with a wink at Cassiopeia.

Dark Archive

Male Chelaxian Human Fighter 7 HP 44/56 subdual 56/56 AC/Touch/Flat 19/12/17 | Fort/Ref/Will +7/+4/+2 | Init +3 perception +5, climb+8, Intimidate+9,Prof. Sailor +9,Swim+7,

"I am in the same mind of Herzag, there. Lets's get your ship armed with at least some amount of self defence there Ash, See if any folk want to help round out our crews and... hmm. What do any of you know about Naga? What can we have on hand to help secure her aide?

what sort of knowledge check would it be to know about water nagas?


Female Ifrit Swashbuckler Level 7 (Flying Blade) | HP 66/66 (0NL)| Init. +3 (+5) | Speed 30ft | AC 23, touch 17, FF 17 | CMD 25 | Fort +5 : Ref +9 : Will +3 | Burning Hands: 1/Day | Perc +10 | Panache: 3 Pts / -0 | Active :

All I have is knowledge local.

Know(Local): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21

"That's some sort of snake-people right? Back in Katapesh, my mom ...all Hell's blast her soul... would tell me scary stories of scaly peoples from ancient times hiding among us today. Is that what they are?"


Are you sure you want to do that?

Knowledge Dungeoneering for info on Naga's

Also, you are currently on Bag island, just below the Rampore isles. The wreckers are a day or two away, the Naga's are a week or so.


Female Human Cleric 7 HP: 50/50 | AC 19/13/16 | Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +9 (+10 vs Charm/Compulsion)| Init: +3 | Perc: +6

"Well we're a lot closer to the Ramapore Isles." Rhialla points out. "By five or six days at least."

Lore (Pirate Captians: Vakarla): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16


Current Status:
AC: 29 || HP: 49/60 || CMD: 26 || Effects: Shield, Blessing of Fervor
Male half-orc fighter (lore warden) 2/unchained rogue 5 || Init +6; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +13 || AC 29, touch 19, flat-footed 21 || hp 60 || Fort +10, Ref +13, Will +7 Defensive Abilities danger sense +1, evasion, sacred tattoo

Knowledge (Dungeoneering) on Nagas: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24

"My opinion is still the same" - the half-orc nods.


Are you sure you want to do that?

Herzag just makes the roll for Dungeoneering. Naga

Rhialla: The leader of this crew of barbarous half-orc reavers is an accomplished illusionist named Vakarla. Renegades from the Terwa Uplands, Vakarla and her wreckers take the perfidious and risky gamble of preying on Shackles pirates.

Roll not high enough to get more information.


Human Female Wizard (Poleiheira Adherent) 7 | HP 23/51 | AC 12 T 12 FF 10 | Fort +5 Ref +5 Will +7 | Initiative +2 | Perception +8 | Arcane Bond 1/1 | Inspiration 4/4 | Mount 14 hrs. | Pearls of Power: 1st—1/1 2nd—1/1 3rd—1/1 | Water Blast 5/5

"If I knew more about what they did, I could perhaps prepare specific countermeasures," says Cassiopeia. "Same for the nagas. Just tell me where we're going and what we need."

Dark Archive

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Male Chelaxian Human Fighter 7 HP 44/56 subdual 56/56 AC/Touch/Flat 19/12/17 | Fort/Ref/Will +7/+4/+2 | Init +3 perception +5, climb+8, Intimidate+9,Prof. Sailor +9,Swim+7,

Assuming Herzag spills the beans on Naga's of the watery type

"Sounds like bribes might be the way to go then, as I thought, Officers, Take an extra share out in town, see if you can't find something exotic you think our future watery friend might enjoy, I rather do more talking than fighting at least on the Naga's Rhialla luv care to tour the meat market with me then see about rousing some extra crew for an eventual fight with half orcs?

diplomacy Looking for exotic animals that sea nagas might enjoy,
you know pig, veal, something not aquatic in nature really:
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28

diplomacy looking for more crew for Herzag's sake preferably lusty wenches with bad taste in men folk :P okay not really but add a +1 if they think im hot due to a trait.: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Female Ifrit Swashbuckler Level 7 (Flying Blade) | HP 66/66 (0NL)| Init. +3 (+5) | Speed 30ft | AC 23, touch 17, FF 17 | CMD 25 | Fort +5 : Ref +9 : Will +3 | Burning Hands: 1/Day | Perc +10 | Panache: 3 Pts / -0 | Active :

Ashlei agrees whole-heartedly about bringing on a crew of lusty women for the Crimson Sunset!

"We should also have a trusted skeleton crew take the Sunset to get outfitted properly as a pirate vessel while we're away on business. That way its getting fixed up while we're busy."


Female Human Cleric 7 HP: 50/50 | AC 19/13/16 | Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +9 (+10 vs Charm/Compulsion)| Init: +3 | Perc: +6

"Of course!" Rhialla says with a grin, taking Percy's arm after selecting the 4 most trustworthy crew members who know how to use guns and presenting them with one of the firearms each. "They're a pretty ruthless bunch so better to have more blades than less."

Diplomacy (aid) gathering crew: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20


Female Ifrit Swashbuckler Level 7 (Flying Blade) | HP 66/66 (0NL)| Init. +3 (+5) | Speed 30ft | AC 23, touch 17, FF 17 | CMD 25 | Fort +5 : Ref +9 : Will +3 | Burning Hands: 1/Day | Perc +10 | Panache: 3 Pts / -0 | Active :

Diplomacy (Aid)gathering crew: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18


Current Status:
AC: 29 || HP: 49/60 || CMD: 26 || Effects: Shield, Blessing of Fervor
Male half-orc fighter (lore warden) 2/unchained rogue 5 || Init +6; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +13 || AC 29, touch 19, flat-footed 21 || hp 60 || Fort +10, Ref +13, Will +7 Defensive Abilities danger sense +1, evasion, sacred tattoo

Wohooo!! Lusty wenches!

Diplomacy (aid) with finding the right wenches: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16

Dark Archive

Male Chelaxian Human Fighter 7 HP 44/56 subdual 56/56 AC/Touch/Flat 19/12/17 | Fort/Ref/Will +7/+4/+2 | Init +3 perception +5, climb+8, Intimidate+9,Prof. Sailor +9,Swim+7,

With the new crew mostly going on Ash's ship he busied himself with restocking the larder of the Bounty with well 'exotic' Fowl... chicken, turkey and duck. If he had to bribe a sea naga to play nice he preferred to do it with non crew as food. Finding their ship's mage he brought about what she knew of illusion magic... or specifically how they might counter some of its known positive uses at sea. He had a healthy respect for that art to be sure.

"What sort of things should we be doing or could we get to help counter any sort of illusion magic Cass? Is there anything you need to help you be more effective. While we are here in the city its the time to speak up."

He added to their mage not wanting to walk into anything ill prepared.


Female Ifrit Swashbuckler Level 7 (Flying Blade) | HP 66/66 (0NL)| Init. +3 (+5) | Speed 30ft | AC 23, touch 17, FF 17 | CMD 25 | Fort +5 : Ref +9 : Will +3 | Burning Hands: 1/Day | Perc +10 | Panache: 3 Pts / -0 | Active :

Smirking at the question about illusions, Ashlei pipes up.

"Blindfolds? If you can't see it, then it can't be real. Right Commodore Percival?"

She then sniggers a bit and snorts once, trying to hold back her own laughter.


Human Female Wizard (Poleiheira Adherent) 7 | HP 23/51 | AC 12 T 12 FF 10 | Fort +5 Ref +5 Will +7 | Initiative +2 | Perception +8 | Arcane Bond 1/1 | Inspiration 4/4 | Mount 14 hrs. | Pearls of Power: 1st—1/1 2nd—1/1 3rd—1/1 | Water Blast 5/5

Cassiopeia says with a slight frown, "I only know of one spell that will see through illusions, and it's very powerful - too powerful and complex for me to weave it."

True seeing is above my casting ability. There isn't really anything else (that I know of) that will see through illusions, aside from being able to see invisibility, which I can do. (If we expect invisibility, though, the cleric should have invisibility purge prepared, which is not a wizard spell.)


Female Ifrit Swashbuckler Level 7 (Flying Blade) | HP 66/66 (0NL)| Init. +3 (+5) | Speed 30ft | AC 23, touch 17, FF 17 | CMD 25 | Fort +5 : Ref +9 : Will +3 | Burning Hands: 1/Day | Perc +10 | Panache: 3 Pts / -0 | Active :

Glitterdust works for indivisibility and in a pinch sometimes illusions too. I saw a player use it for illusions to help identify them. Our GM ruled that the glitter only sticks to real things, not illusions unless the caster is paying attention and modifies the illusion as it goes, assuming he's still concentrating on the illusion spell. Doesn't work for Mirror Image or similar spells since all the images automatically modify themselves to look like the original person, although it can still blind the person.


Current Status:
AC: 29 || HP: 49/60 || CMD: 26 || Effects: Shield, Blessing of Fervor
Male half-orc fighter (lore warden) 2/unchained rogue 5 || Init +6; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +13 || AC 29, touch 19, flat-footed 21 || hp 60 || Fort +10, Ref +13, Will +7 Defensive Abilities danger sense +1, evasion, sacred tattoo

Wasn't there like an action or something in D&D 1ed or AD&D that you could take to 'Disbelieve' an illusion? :D


Female Ifrit Swashbuckler Level 7 (Flying Blade) | HP 66/66 (0NL)| Init. +3 (+5) | Speed 30ft | AC 23, touch 17, FF 17 | CMD 25 | Fort +5 : Ref +9 : Will +3 | Burning Hands: 1/Day | Perc +10 | Panache: 3 Pts / -0 | Active :

If you interact with an illusion directly or it is obviously fake somehow, you get a chance to make a will save to ignore it basically. In the end it is up to the GM, although most GMs I know give players a save as soon as a PC brings up the possibility there might be an illusion involved too. 'A Dragon here? How did it get in the building?' Although I've had GMs fake that roll too to see if they characters ignore something that is real too by accident: 'Roll to disbelieve the dragon! OOps! The dragon looks real to you! He's getting ready to breath, do you dodge? Or ignore it and try to run past?' kinda thing... NOTE: As I understand it, if you create an illusion of a wall or curtain, even if someone makes their save, it STILL blocks line of sight/targeting and they gain a miss chance from ranged attacks. Knowing something is an illusion does NOT mean the spell disappears for you. You just know you can walk through it like it is nothing, or ignore an illusory creature's attacks. The GM may prefer to handle them in some other manner too.


Are you sure you want to do that?

I'm back. What is the party doing now? Port Peril is on the way, so you could buy scrolls and get crew there.


Female Ifrit Swashbuckler Level 7 (Flying Blade) | HP 66/66 (0NL)| Init. +3 (+5) | Speed 30ft | AC 23, touch 17, FF 17 | CMD 25 | Fort +5 : Ref +9 : Will +3 | Burning Hands: 1/Day | Perc +10 | Panache: 3 Pts / -0 | Active :

Its up to the Captain...I mean Commodore Percy..in the end. One of the downsides of being in charge? =)


Are you sure you want to do that?

There's always mutiny. :)

Dark Archive

Male Chelaxian Human Fighter 7 HP 44/56 subdual 56/56 AC/Touch/Flat 19/12/17 | Fort/Ref/Will +7/+4/+2 | Init +3 perception +5, climb+8, Intimidate+9,Prof. Sailor +9,Swim+7,

If Port Peril is on the way sounds like a good stopping point to get whats needed before we go talk to a naga. After the fishsnek lady sounds like a good time to wreck some wreckers :P

1,201 to 1,241 of 1,241 << first < prev | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Skull & Shackles: Sails under a blood red sky. All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.